User Reviews for Lithium to treat Borderline Personality Disorder

Also known as: Lithium Carbonate ER, Lithobid

Lithium has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 12 ratings for the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder. 50% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Lithium Rating Summary

6.5/10 average rating

Compare all 28 medications used in the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder.

Reviews for Lithium

mb1992 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 11, 2020

“Lithium is the one med I was absolutely terrified to take, but after failing on nearly every mood stabilizer, I was pretty much forced to give it a shot. I have borderline personality disorder as well as Bipolar 2, so medications for me can be very complicated to get right. I am happy to say that I've had virtually no side effects on Lithium and the results have been LIFE CHANGING. This is the only med that has ever reduced my self harm thoughts down to almost nothing, and my moods from both BPD and bipolar are greatly stabilized. It has also been a great help in controlling some of my impulsive behavior like shopping and drinking. The ONLY negative is that I have had some issues with my hypothyroidism since taking it, but we were able to get my meds adjusted and resolve that. Don't let Lithium scare you, if nothing else has worked it can literally save your life.”

Bpdbabe · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 10, 2020

“One other users' experience sounds exactly the same as mine, it was almost scary... I started lithium at the age of 18 after being diagnosed with bipolar II (and 4 years later rediagnosed Borderline with comorbid chronic depression and generalized anxiety) I don't remember much of 2012-2016 when I was on it, about 900mg of lithium, 100mg of pristiq and 100mg of welbutrin (I think). I didn't feel anything emotional which was a change from feeling everything so intensely all the time, I lost my entire personality, I gained about 60lbs over the course of 3 months. I finally decided after 4 years go off it, and it was the best decision I ever made. It wasn't for me, but it doesn't mean it's not for you... Downsides include massive weight gain, loss of personality, blood tests every 2-3 months to check toxicity level, memory loss...”

Cakes · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 18, 2019

“I am more balanced when taking my lithium. Unlike what some have said, i unfortunately experience the full range of my emotions. Fortunately, due to combo of wellbutrin & regular therapy I handle those emotions much better when taking my lithium. The times I didn't take lithium life was more challenging - I have borderline personality disorder.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 5, 2012

“Turned me into a zombie and made me gain at least 60 pounds. Lithium completely numbed out my emotions until I could no longer function. I was on it for 3 years and nobody would take me off of it because I have adverse reactions to most mood stabilizers that could replace it and they viewed me having no moods at all as better than having symptomatic Borderline Personality Disorder. I barely have any memories from the time I was on lithium. I was eventually taken off it because it started driving me into rage.”

eri March 3, 2021

“I only took 1000mg of Lithium for three months and I think it might have broken me for life. My emotions are numb and when I do feel I feel extremely dissociated from them, my hands still shake too. Before Lithium I drew every day, played guitar, wrote music, and read a new book every week. Since I took my first pill I haven't written a single song, haven't read a single book, and my art isn't what it used to be. I don't feel pleasure from anything in life anymore. I know it sounds outlandish but I am not exaggerating. Think very carefully before going on this stuff that they market as a pill.”

Reviewer x · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 25, 2020

“Lithium worked for my BPD, combined with pregabalin, and occasionally Brintellix. This is in contrast to carbamazepine, fluoxetine, paroxetine, citalopram, Topamax and all of antipsychotics and tricyclics. I wish someone was smart enough to put me on it much sooner.”

madison · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 5, 2021

“Lithium is the only drug I've ever taken that has reduced and almost eliminated my suicidal ideation. Don't get me wrong, my Borderline Personality Disorder BPD makes it very hard to control my impulses even while medicated, however I have not self harmed and have had no suicide attempts since starting lithium. I'm on 600 mg AM and PM, it has even helped me stay sober from alcohol and cocaine (coming up on 8 months now) I have gained about 50 pounds since then, but lithium is only a single factor in that. I have gotten less active and started eating a poorer diet since getting sober. Fact of the matter is, I finally know what it's like to live a life not wanting to kill myself 24/7. And it's a huge relief. There are drawbacks to it, but if you are struggling with suicidal thoughts, there is no better drug on the market.”

sk0sH · Taken for less than 1 month April 25, 2017

“Took lithium carbonate. I have PTSD, depression, borderline bipolar.At first, it seemed like a wonder drug for about the first week. Then, out of nowhere, I experienced rapid cycling for the first time in my life. I screamed at the top of my lungs, felt like breaking things for catharsis (which I did on some very inexpensive items) Then after screaming in anger for about ten minutes, I immediately began crying for 30mins. Avoid lithium!!!”

Crb · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 19, 2021

“I have been on lithium (priadel) 800mg PM for 8 months, it has been absolutely amazing in keeping my mood fluctuations with my BPD in check, I used to go up and down 8-10 times a day but since I started taking this I haven't really had any downs or ups just the occasional dread, but I no longer feel suicidal! It's been a complete life changer. I wish I got on it sooner!”

Lysse · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 22, 2013

“Didn't help win the emotional attachment aspect of Borderline Personality Disorder, but it definitely reduced my suicidal thoughts and self harm urges.”

Su September 1, 2020

“Lithium Made me feel relaxed with my Borderline Personality Disorder + Bipolar Disorder”

Ginnylynn · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 26, 2016

“Made me feel dependant on them”

Learn more about Borderline Personality Disorder