User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Lamictal Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamictal to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I have bipolar 2, BPD, anxiety, and PTSD from past trauma. I have taken many drugs over the years, including SSRI's and lithium carbonate. No medication has help with my anxiety, depression, and mood swings anywhere near as effectively as Lamictal. Within 2 weeks I felt like "myself" again. I felt like a weight had been lifted. My appetite and sleep patterns also became more normalised. I am on 100mg twice a day. And have been for about 6 months. I was ready to give up on medications, then I was but on Lamictal. It was like night and day. It's hard to describe, honestly. But I feel much for content and happier in general. The only side effect I can remember is when I missed a dose, I got very aggravated and moody. Much love!"

Ellis d (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this medication for 1 year or even 2 years with 300 mg. I still have extreme mood swings and it doesn't help at all, I want lithium or other bipolar medicine - this doesn't work at all for me. I'm really scared to gain weight while on some other medication because I already gained 20 kg from an antipsychotic medicine before but I can live with this. My bipolar illness gets worse and worse I still have a good medicine "base" tho. It's not as extreme as a couple of years ago but I'm only 19 years old so I'm looking forward trying something else."

Linnnn June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just started lamictal, after tapering off of topamax. Topamax did nothing for me. I have disorder 2 in which I am more manic. I've been on it 3 weeks and so far I have been episode free, which is good for me considering I am a rapid cycler. I've done a lot of research on lamictal and it appears to meet my needs the most. And it's weight neutral. (Topamax never made me lose wight either). Also it doesn't halt your emotions like say lithium, where you are neither nor sad you're just emotionless. I hate that. Lamictal was a great choice for me so far so good!"

Fsndjxn3849 June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"In 3 days of use I had itchy scalp within 2 weeks I had to be taken off due to itchy rash on neck and face as it was getting worse. It has been 2 weeks on new medication and I am still having the breakout."

Melissa W12 June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lamictal has been a game changer for me. I have been through the complete bipolar medication gauntlet. I now take 300 mg a day along with 200mg wellbutin, 20 mg of Adderall and hydroxyzine to sleep. I was able to stop taking Xanax because of this awesome drug!! I have had this same regimen for a year and a half. Before this I was about to give up all hope on medicines. Please keep in mind no medicine will never fix your Bipolar Disorder. As far as side effects I have had significant hair loss. I think that started with other medicines though. I have also had EXTREMELY intense dreams. That's something I'm still getting use to."

Rigs June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have bipolar 1 disoder. I am on abilify (currently getting off) and Lamictal. Lamictal has helped me level a lot alot. Been a good medicine for me only side effect I noticed is I started yawning alot after taking it."

Beazey June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After many trials and error, I found that 200mg at bedtime is the best for me. I ran out of refills about 4 months ago and had to go without for another month before I could see a Dr. I know that's not safe but I had no choice. My family as well as myself could notice the difference in my mood swings within a week!"

LaurenB921 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lamictal has been a life saver. Started when I was 18, after 4 years of unsuccessful treatment plus 2-3 years of emotional instability not treated. Started lamictal and I finally felt like "the person I was always supposed to grow up to be". I do get the "morning woozies" when I increase the dose for worsening symptoms, but I have been more or less in remission. Very minimal side effects, and generally effective as stand alone maintenance drug."

Myself again (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug gave me brain damage and I almost failed out of college. I was a ballerina, but after this medication I couldn't keep balance anymore and couldn't dance. This drug actually ruined my life and it has taking several years for me to recover from the damage it caused me mentally and physically."

Anonymous May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I don't think this works."

Nickolle May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I haven't been diagnosed with bipolar, but my psychiatrist put me on this over a year ago for a mood disorder. She built me up to 200 mgs and about a year ago moved me to 150 mgs in the morning and another 150 mgs at night. It's not a miracle pill and I still feel down sometimes and happy at others, but overall I don't get super down like I used to. In conjunction with the other psychiatric medicine I am on, it helps to keep me stable and helps me deal with a very serious disease that I came down with about 3 years ago that has completely turned my world upside down."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So, I feel like this did help stabilize me a little bit (with depressive states), but I ended up getting acne and redness all over my face. I also had my eyes feel all weird and twitchy. Overall, It was not super effective for me because I still had horrible anxiety and panic attacks and I could not titrate high enough to get effective coverage from the medication without weird side effects. I was only on 75mg maximum, mind you."

kcgirl08 May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Lamictal for around 4-5 months. After my bipolar depression returned and wasn't being kept under control by my Seroquel and Prozac I did some research and saw Lamictal had decent reviews. My doctor started me on the medication and within a week I began to feel more energized, and happier. That was at 100 mg. I now believe the depression is coming back and I have been upped to 200 mg, along with 40mg of Prozac. The drug has done great things for me so far."

williamsbriana (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lamictal handles most of my symptoms, but I continue to deal with money issues and relationships."

Tom1948 May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug has been a lifesaver so far. Especially considering the other "less-than-ideal" medication options for bipolar disorder."

Ellendahl May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It really does work amazingly! I am bipolar II. was originally diagnosed as having major depressive disorder, but my depression did fluctuate in intensity quite a bit, so my psychiatrist thought Lamictal could work and that I could bipolar. So I started Lamictal (ironically right before I started the Lamictal I started having hypomania and was then properly diagnosed as bipolar II) For weeks it really did not help much - and then I reached the full dose of 200mg. I've been on this dose for a month and have felt completely normal or virtually normal most of the time! The medication isn't perfect though, as the depression ocassionally comes on rather hard, but even when it does it is temporary and NOWHERE near as bad as it was before."

mmay27 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've recently started taking lamictal (50 mg) about three days ago for bipolar disorder along with lithium (600 mg) which was originally 900 mg but I found it to be too sedating so my doc lowered it back to 600 and I can honestly say I feel a major difference I feel like my mood is stabilizing and I'm starting to feel happy again and simply normal not too high with unorganized thinking and behavior or a rushed mind with all kinds of racing thoughts or mixed and depressive episodes when I've just felt as if I was in a roller coaster ride with my mood going up and down, and the depressive phase when I didn't care about anything and didn't even want to move and felt hopeless to anyone suffering don't give up and give lamictal a try"

Didi121 (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lamictal has changed my life. I'm a diagnosed bipolar 1 and have had friends and family notice massive changes in my personality. I never knew life could be so happy and easy."

Kris.helli April 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

" I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 recently at 34 years old. I'm also diagnosed with severe depression, generalized anxiety disorder, and PTSD. After being on what seems every antidepressant in the world, finally, a combination of Lamictal, Wellbutrin, and Xanax has been a life saver.I was prescribed the Lamictal a couple months ago. I noticed that after a couple weeks the Lamictal started to wear off a little and the depression started to appear again. I was started on 25 mg and then upped to 50 mg. A few days ago I noticed the depression again. I'm going to ask my Dr. to up my dose again. Sorry for the long response lol. I just wanted to let anyone else know that I'm going through a similar experience."

sudsybathwater (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed bipolar a year ago and started at 100 then 150 and now 200mg at night in conjunction with Cymbalta 30 mg. I have had no side effects and I really think this drug has saved my life."

LaLathecat69 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lamictal saved my life. I have struggled my whole life with rapid cycling bipolar 2, with more frequent and longer lasting depressive episodes than manic. I was just recently diagnosed and never knew what was wrong with me- I've been dealing with this since as early I can remember , around age 10. I started seeing a counsellor and psychiatrist and this is the conclusion they came to. When I started going I was so close to ending my life, it was terrifying . I just thought it was normal. Then my psychiatrist started me on Lamictal and we worked up to 200 mg and I have never been this happy in my ENTIRE LIFE . I've been overweight forever and I'm now losing a lot of weight healthily, I'm so happy and confident and I'm finally making changes."

Girlchanged March 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on lamictal about 9 Years ago.. Tried everything else nothing worked.. I have bipolar..severe panic attacks and agoraphobia.. I was in horrible condition... Started at lowest dose and stayed at 300mg ...fine until about 8 months ago and got scerlitis of eye.. Went to eye doctor treated with steroids... But it just coming back... Finally realized it must be my medication.. Quit lamictal and it was gone.. When I saw my doctor I told her and she said yes that is a side affect and I could never take again.. OMG.. Best med ever for bipolar.. Some anxiety break thrus..but 1st time I ever really felt normal.. After this got another Dr put me on Paxil.. OMG.. What a nightmare.. I bottomed out.. Ground zero... Now on nothing for 3 weeks.."

Pink53! (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Diagnosed with Bipolar twenty two years ago. Treated initially with lithium and Carbamazepine. I stopped taking everything and existed for years. Extremely bad depression last fall which left me a total shell without memory, emotion, feeling. I am now starting on lamictal as it is time for me to live again rather than exist. Thank you all for your feedback. I am actually looking forward to starting this drug and will keep you updated x"

Anabanana217 March 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am bipolar 2 and take 300mg per day. Has changed my life so much. Helped me kick my alcohol addiction and impulsiveness. The last two years have been great. No drug is perfect however, and the withdrawals can be bad. Make sure you take it every day. So I gave it an 8 because I feel great if I keep up with it. I take it right after I wake up because it helps wake me up and gives me energy. Also makes me very patient with myself, other people and just life in general throughout the day. At my current dosage I wouldn't hesitate to call it a smart drug for me because it lessons my impulsive tendencies and quickness to anger. If this doesn't work for you, don't fret, I study medicine, and there is usually always something available to help."

Pugsta March 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I haven't found the perfect medication, but this is among the best so far. What is nice is that is also indicated for pain and helps my severe pain condition by reducing neuropathic pain."

CB114 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2017