User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Lamictal Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamictal to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I have struggled with severe anxiety and major depression for 30 years. I have been on MANY different anxiety meds and anti depressants. The only 2 meds that helped slightly were Paxil and Ativan for panic/anxiety. I was diagnosed with Bipolar about 5 years ago and once again tried other meds. I heard about Lamictal helping other people, so my doctor said we could try it. It has been a LIFESAVER!! I still take Paxil and Ativan, but after the first few days of taking Lamictal, it helped tremendously with my mood swings. But most important, it improved my anxiety by at least 75% if not more. It has been a Godsend for me. I take 100mg a day. Thanks."

Melindakay1989 October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed Bipolar II back in January after an episode at work. My psychiatrist prescribed lamictal 25mg. I slowly titrated up and am now at 100mg. I was nervous to take it after reading some scary reviews, but it's been a lifesaver for me! I'm finally feeling "normal". I have a lot more stability with my moods. It's even made my moods less intense and not as long lasting. It's also somehow helped me with anxiety. Finally my moods aren't effecting my work or relationships. And I've had zero side effects. I love lamictal so so much."

lavenderlight September 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I felt compelled to compose this review as I have been through 33 years of HELL. Like many of you I was labelled as just depressed or anxious - nothing worked, CBT went over my head, SSRIs were ineffective etc. I went on second line SNRI treatment and all hell broke loose! Cycling within minutes literally wanting to tear my own limbs off from frustration then the next minute obsessing over meaningless rubbish. I had had enough of the NHS and my job was on hold having been off a considerable amount of time. I decided to get a private psychiatrist and it was the best money I ever spent. I fit the bipolar 2 spectrum to a millimetre of its criteria - now I knew that I wasn't insane. Lamictal has saved me from suicide literally!"

33 years of hell! (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is NOT an advertisement: Lamictal changed my life -for the better. After 7 days, it seemed like a miracle, I slowly began to become focused and feel at peace. Lamictal erased all suicidal thoughts. This is really how I experienced it. It speaks for itself. I never acquired any side effects at all. My short and long term memory is increased. My learning capabilities are in fact better now then ever before. I only wish that I had received the meds years earlier. I made a lot of wrong decisions and choices before it, and still have to live with a lot of the damaging consequences, of which I am still trying to make amends. Without Lamictal, I wouldn't be alive today, and that is the truth"

Sean.M September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm taking Lamictal for bipolar type 2. I have been mentally ill for years and only started getting help recently. I've tried Prozac, Wellbutrin, zoloft within the last year and none worked. I started taking Lamictal about 4 months ago and have been on the dose of 300mg a day for about 2 1/2 months. It has made me feel much more stable, not perfect… But much more stable. My stable mood is depressed, so I still am adding an anti-depressant to my list of medications. I'm 25 years old."

Y5nthon5a (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The way lamictal works faster or slow is due to your metabolism. I could go up doses very fast without having the rash but wow I suffered so much while going through this process. It does get worse before it gets better. Once you get to the therapeutic dose then things start to improve. Now; some of us have vivid dreams. Scary sometimes but you get used to them. Also it took me at least 5 months until I got its full benefit. And it may cause you insomnia, need some ambien for that. Ambien stopped working after 5 months. And so when I tried melatonin it worked pretty well. Melatonin didn't work in the first months on this Drug. Only worked after the 5 months and then after few 2 months I didn't need it anymore. I was sleeping well without it."

Prayers works (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been living with extreme anxiety, quick temp and agitate easily to the point of isolating myself. At 64, my podcast found my fix and diagnosed me as bipolar. I feel like a new person!"

lydzhd (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I don't know where I'd be without it! I've been on it since 2004 and take name-brand only because generic versions of meds and I don't get along. Anyway I haven't had one negative side effect from it in all these years, and will continue to take it as long as I possibly can. It was within a month of initial use that I saw marked improvement. When I took the generic (Lamotrigine), I experienced the opposite: It did absolutely NOTHING, so I had to get pre-authorization from my Part D provider through Medicare to be able to take name brand but it's been well worth it."

Turtle Lady (taken for 10 years or more) August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started Lamictal at 25 mg and was instructed to titrate up to 100 mg. As soon as I got to 50mg, I got the rash. I was told to go back down to 25 instead of stopping completely. 2 weeks later I had a stiff neck, sore throat, burning eyes, mouth sores, red purple rash came back worse than before. I was admitted to the hospital and diagnosed with Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. The most painful thing I've ever been through! I am still recovering after being discharged from the hospital a week ago."

ericau August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lamictal had done wonders for me. It took a while for me to get up to a therapeutic dose, but it's helped with my bipolar depression so much, with no side effects. My only complaint is that you have to build up the doses, starting with 25 mg, and going up from there. I'm currently on 200 mg and still going up!"

bipolarbunny (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on so many drugs I lost count and cannot remember all the names. Lamictal has really improved my life. My mood swings have diminished and my depressive episodes have nearly gone away. I have a couple of year now and they don't last nearly as long. I also don't get suicidal anymore. So much gratitude for this medication. I'm on 100 mg right now and when I had my last depressive episode my doctor wanted me to increase my dose but it has a tendency to make me feel out of it and unable to experience any range of emotion really. I just try to make it through the depressive episodes instead."

SpokanPhoenix July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I change to lactimal due to being manic bipolar. This medication changed my life. I am able to feel like myself with stability. I was taking Lithium it made me sick, depressed, drowsy. It calmed my racing thoughts. Not feeling manic all the time. Or depressed like I use to be."

Mother9009 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had gone through a wide variety of SSRI's before my doctor recommended these. This medication has seriously changed my life and I feel like I have more control about how certain things make me feel. I am Bipolar 2 taking 200mg and I don't ever want to get back to the state I was in before. Having tried around 5 different types of medication I have finally found the one."

LowFlo (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I still have minor anxiety and depression...but wow my life got changed"

Krishelli (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have Bipolar II and lamotrigine saved my life. I have taken 200mg for approximately 5 years. In combination with therapy my mood swings have diminished by >95%. My quality of life has skyrocketed. My life truly is broken into 2 segments - before lamotrigine and after lamotrigine. My memory is certainly a bit worse, but I notice no other side effects. The memory impairment is not substantial enough to warrant stopping the medication."

Redditor (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm bipolar II and this med works very well. The depression still comes and goes and I do feel kinda crappy somewhat often, but it is definitely not horrible and incapacitating like it was before. Also Lamictal has reduced my hypomania probably by half, and makes it barely noticeable unless I am trying to sleep. A huge plus is that I've had ZERO side effects of any kind (other than temporary ones when increasing doses), which is very rare for antidepressants and anti-mania drugs. Hope this was helpful and hopeful"

msh27 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started on Lamictal after having manic episodes on Zoloft as well as Wellbutrin. I was a heavy cigarette and marijuana smoker. In the first couple weeks of starting Lamictal, I was able to quit smoking weed and cigarettes!! I didn't have insomnia as I previously did when trying to quit marijuana. My mood was much improve. I had been suicidal before and I started exercising again on Lamictal. I developed an unknown rash about 2 years into Lamictal and stopped immediately. The rash disappeared. It looked like 8 mosquito bites all over my legs. I was forced to try Abilify which made me gain over 40 pounds and take naps during the day. Today, I have started back on Lamictal and am back on track with exercising and enjoying life."

Kira123456789 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have bipolar 2, BPD, anxiety, and PTSD from past trauma. I have taken many drugs over the years, including SSRI's and lithium carbonate. No medication has help with my anxiety, depression, and mood swings anywhere near as effectively as Lamictal. Within 2 weeks I felt like "myself" again. I felt like a weight had been lifted. My appetite and sleep patterns also became more normalised. I am on 100mg twice a day. And have been for about 6 months. I was ready to give up on medications, then I was but on Lamictal. It was like night and day. It's hard to describe, honestly. But I feel much for content and happier in general. The only side effect I can remember is when I missed a dose, I got very aggravated and moody. Much love!"

Ellis d (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this medication for 1 year or even 2 years with 300 mg. I still have extreme mood swings and it doesn't help at all, I want lithium or other bipolar medicine - this doesn't work at all for me. I'm really scared to gain weight while on some other medication because I already gained 20 kg from an antipsychotic medicine before but I can live with this. My bipolar illness gets worse and worse I still have a good medicine "base" tho. It's not as extreme as a couple of years ago but I'm only 19 years old so I'm looking forward trying something else."

Linnnn June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just started lamictal, after tapering off of topamax. Topamax did nothing for me. I have disorder 2 in which I am more manic. I've been on it 3 weeks and so far I have been episode free, which is good for me considering I am a rapid cycler. I've done a lot of research on lamictal and it appears to meet my needs the most. And it's weight neutral. (Topamax never made me lose wight either). Also it doesn't halt your emotions like say lithium, where you are neither nor sad you're just emotionless. I hate that. Lamictal was a great choice for me so far so good!"

Fsndjxn3849 June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"In 3 days of use I had itchy scalp within 2 weeks I had to be taken off due to itchy rash on neck and face as it was getting worse. It has been 2 weeks on new medication and I am still having the breakout."

Melissa W12 June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lamictal has been a game changer for me. I have been through the complete bipolar medication gauntlet. I now take 300 mg a day along with 200mg wellbutin, 20 mg of Adderall and hydroxyzine to sleep. I was able to stop taking Xanax because of this awesome drug!! I have had this same regimen for a year and a half. Before this I was about to give up all hope on medicines. Please keep in mind no medicine will never fix your Bipolar Disorder. As far as side effects I have had significant hair loss. I think that started with other medicines though. I have also had EXTREMELY intense dreams. That's something I'm still getting use to."

Rigs June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have bipolar 1 disoder. I am on abilify (currently getting off) and Lamictal. Lamictal has helped me level a lot alot. Been a good medicine for me only side effect I noticed is I started yawning alot after taking it."

Beazey June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After many trials and error, I found that 200mg at bedtime is the best for me. I ran out of refills about 4 months ago and had to go without for another month before I could see a Dr. I know that's not safe but I had no choice. My family as well as myself could notice the difference in my mood swings within a week!"

LaurenB921 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lamictal has been a life saver. Started when I was 18, after 4 years of unsuccessful treatment plus 2-3 years of emotional instability not treated. Started lamictal and I finally felt like "the person I was always supposed to grow up to be". I do get the "morning woozies" when I increase the dose for worsening symptoms, but I have been more or less in remission. Very minimal side effects, and generally effective as stand alone maintenance drug."

Myself again (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 25, 2017