User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Lamictal Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamictal to treat Bipolar Disorder

"Hi all, I left my opinion last year around October. And things have changed just a bit. I understood my illness is genetic Bc my uncle had it and my dad has it but don't accept it I guess. Anyway 70% of cases have a genetic background so feel better about that. You didn't chose this. I feel Lamictal is not working as well after two years but not a major change. I will increase it from 200mg to 250 this week. I control my depression with clonazepan. I feel anxiety makes depression worse. So when it kicks in then I feel stronger enough to make a prayer and it goes away.we need to do some work in our brain. Everything that is negative you change it for "yes" and I can and I will."

The Athalaian (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017

"I have been on generic lamictal for nearly 2 months, on 300 mg for 1 week so far. I feel great when I wake up, depressed late am and afternoon, then decent in the evenings. Has anyone else had this with lamictal? My hope is that a higher dosage will do the trick. Thanks for any responses!"

Nadia2000 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2017

"Not the most effective. It did tone down my hypomania a little bit. I normally get depressive episodes at a set time every year, and lamotrigine pushed it a bit later than it would have been. Besides that, it didn't do much; I'm still having severe depressive episodes that lead to suicidality. No side effects on its own, but I've noticed that it seems to magnify the side effects of other drugs if I take both (e.g., if I take a drug that makes me drowsy, lamotrigine makes me more drowsy; if I take a drug that makes me nauseous, lamotrigine makes me more nauseous, etc.). All in all I'm pretty neutral on this drug. It's not great, but not bad."

Audrey K January 9, 2017

"I am a 31 year old female. I was prescribed Lamictal by my psychiatrist after describing my terrible mood swings. I was easily annoyed, agitated, and irritable. I would go from super happy and laughing to crying and screaming at the drop of a hat. I tried so hard to control it, but I couldn't. This medication has leveled me out so much. I feel much more "normal." I'm currently taking 50 mg twice a day. After about a month, I do notice my symptoms start to return. I tell my psychiatrist, and he ups my dose. I'm hoping I'll eventually reach a dosage that'll stick. I still have some anxiety (especially social anxiety), but this medication has helped me so much. It has really improved my personal relationships."

lefrye13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2017

"I wanted to take some time out of my day in case someone is struggling and I may help them have the hope and courage to take the leap and get better. I have bipolar spectrum ADHD. I have never had a manic episode, but I get pretty irritable, hyper, and feel like I'm crawling out of my skin sometimes. I have some mood swings and have had some impulsive behavior that I am not proud of. I was always very ashamed of this and was lucky that I could contain it by really white-knuckling through life. I eventually was exhausted by this and tried this medicine at the suggestion of a wonderful psychiatrist, who I am willing to recommend. Within a month I was a different person. I am calmer, steadier, and found contentment. Please get help :)."

nicolemarie8 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2016

"I've seen a psychiatrist and a therapist for year. Over a 12 year span, I've probably tried 20-30 drugs. This medication is the first to make me feel human again. I'm not a zombie and I'm not lacking emotion. I'm genuinely happy and thriving. I'm so happy I finally found this medication. I've also not had weight gain, I've actually lost some weight."

kshaw2012 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2016

"Great. I have been on it for ten years. I was diagnosed with bipolar 1 at 25 y/o and it took me about 1.5 yrs before a psychiatrist recommend this. They also had me on depakote which can cause liver damage. Later I removed the depakote. When life continued became more stressful (getting my master's and starting a family) I had anxiety start and begun Paxil. I am now trying to stop paxil."

Mattyfour December 26, 2016

"At first I was hesitant because of the price w/o ins (over $100 a bottle) and some people can develop a serious rash. However, after some contemplation, and knowing that the lithium I was taking was not helping my bi-polar depression, and knowing Lamictal helps increase energy, I decided to take it anyway... I LOVE THIS STUFF. Its helped me so much, I've gone off lithium and am taking it exclusively for BP2. I'm on a low dose of 50 mg because I experienced some itching at first, which did go away after about a month. Now, I have NO side effects, and my depression is GONE without me feeling numb. In other words, I can still be sad without spinning into depression. I haven't gone manic either, but I rarely go that way, so it works for me!"

LOVE this stuff! (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2016

"I have been on 400 mg of lamictal for 12 years. My life went from a nightmare of being diagnosed with major clinical depression and anxiety disorder with racing thoughts to a normal life. I tried more antidepressants and combinations than I can count in the 3 years leading up to my rapid cycling bp2 diagnosis. I have minor hypomanic episodes a few times a year and only a few depressive episodes in the last 12 years. No side effects. Tonight I start Teva manufacturer generic. New insurance won't cover brand ($1100/mth) So scared if it will work. Doc says I'll know within 2 weeks. Had a baseline blood draw so I can compare my levels on brand vs. Generic."

Bp2 tx (taken for 10 years or more) December 1, 2016

"My experience with lamictal is different for me in most cases. I used to take 25mg of lamictal. When I had taken the meds everyday I didn't feel any different from when I wasn't taking them. I had no side effects it was like taking air. So I kept having suicidal thoughts & being angry at 8am & by 8:30 am i was happy. I just had different moods every 30 mins. So i talked to my doctor and told her the meds werent working i told her how i was feeling so she gave me 100mg. Ever since then i have had no feeling what so ever. Like I can choose what to care about & what not to care about. I'll be fine all day and by 8-9 o'clock pm all of my bipolar & depression hits me like a wave of sadness that I feel like I'm drowning in. I guess its worth it.."

CookieMonster9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2016

"I am very pleased with the results of taking Lamictal for my BP2. It definitely stabilized my moods. I felt better within weeks of starting this drug. I take a high dose (400 mg) without side effects. My irritability has been reduced and I no longer have to hide myself, as my depression has been lifted. I take Paxil for my anxiety issues. I recommend therapy to go along with the medication, as awareness can be an important part of treatment."

MissKZ28 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 11, 2016

"This drug has given me my life back. I am now emotionally balanced, it has given me back the sparkle in my eye (says my wife), I can focus and I am dealing with things I was afraid to before due to BP anxiety. I was a complete MESS before lamictal, hardly able to take care of myself and had lost interest in all activities and v emotional depressed/antzy/angry despite being on lithium 1000, seroquel 100mg mirtazapine 25mg. On lamictal my brain just calmed the heck down. I feel normal, reasonable and have the energy and ability to DO things again. No side effects noticed on lamictal. Hope to stay on this drug for years to come. On a side note some BP groups on FB are really helpful and supportive and friendly. You are not alone with BP."

Doyourownresearch (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2016

"I'm diagnosed with bipolar 2 and been on lamictal for several years. The Doc. Had me up to 150 mg it made me manic so my dose was to 50 mg i tolerated 50 mg the drug did nothing for OCD I only had minor depression before the drug. The doc thought that Lamictal would control my mania and OCD but it doesn't The small dose did take stop my eye twitch so I'm staying with it."

Irk November 1, 2016

"so Lamictal takes a while to work...in my case it was about 6 months to reach is maximum effect.I am on 200 mg. if I go higher it is a total nightmare. be careful it depends on the person how much you can take. if you feel you are going more depressed go to the dose you were before and take clonazepan as needed but not everyday. lamictal affected my sleep I had to take ambien but after 6 months I started taking melatonin and it worked. I wanted to say that it is important is family support and when that is non existent then in my case, i grabbed a Bible and prayed a lot even until today. psalm 91 and Ephesians 6:10, also Psalm 23. it gets in a point when you have to fight your brain. doctors and medication helps until certain point."

Athalain (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 24, 2016

"I was only on this drug for a month ramping up to 50mg before I developed a rash that spread all over my body including swelling, 104° fever's, chills and night sweats. I was hospitalized for two weeks and put on 80 mg of prednisone to try to control it until my body wouldn't metabolize that amount and then I was put on methylprednisone. The rash took two months to go away only after bouts of severe itching, bumps, burning and sloughing of skin from everywhere on my body for weeks. I had to take colloidal oatmeal baths with oil several times a day just to remotely tolerate it. Unfortunately I am one of the rare cases that has a severe life-threatening reaction to it called D. R. E. S. S. Syndrome. Careful!"

Davidpezz October 24, 2016

"For years I never understood how I could stay in bed for 7 +days. Then when diagnosed, and I started taking lamitical it changed my life. I do have some symptoms, I can stay in bed for 2 days. That is progress for me."

Getting bye bye (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 22, 2016

"I am 27 and was diagnosed with Major Depression 7 years ago. I was on Fluoxetine which helped somehow but with emotional flatness & low motivation side effect. I also used Paxil when depression strikes again 2 years later but it made my depression worse so i went back on fluxetine. One year ago i felt going depressed again and my doctor put me on Zoloft but i started rapid cycling so i was diagnosed with BP2 and started Lamictal 150mg. I feel really good & normal with it. I never felt like that before. Now i also use 10mg Lexapro which helps me with depression. The great miracle for me was Lamictal not SSRIs ! It surely helps for BP2 to feel normal and happy without any sedation or annoying side effects."

mehr1367 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2016

"I started taking lamictal for my unspecified bipolar disorder a few weeks ago. The results have been remarkable, I could feel the medication start work a few hours after the first dose and it was definitely more than just a placebo effect. I was less flighty and everything just seemed brighter and clearer. My thinking has cleared up and my mood is well controlled even while traveling, which is when hypomania usually sets in for me."

sjl1 October 12, 2016

"My daughter took lamictal for bipolar 1 condition. She titrated up as instructed by her psychiatrist. After 3 weeks, her eyes became irritated, she developed white sores inside her mouth, followed by a life threatening rash that put her in the hospital for 3 weeks. It was touch and go for 2 weeks. She was diagnosed with SJS that turned to TEN. Amniotic membrane was surgically placed into her eyes for protection and she was unable to see for 6 weeks. This medication was not worth the risk."

Livid and bothered (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2016

"This drug is a god send I suffered from bipolar since I was 17 im now 21 I have mixed episode that last for 6 month or more. I tried evey single medicine and I mean every thing antidepressant make me worse I have panic attack, fears ,alot of tears, a lot of depression, obsessive songs in my head lol and nothing seems to work like this one. I left all other drugs (not cold turkey ) , and started it and within 2 weeks I got normal - no panic, no depression and of course no hypomanic no side effect at all , this drug saved I'm more stable focused try it if you are bipolar 2 its a game changer"

jason83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2016

"This medicine is a godsend. I literally felt like it grew me up. it helps so much with bi polar disorder! I used to walk down the street and wonder what passing cars thought about me and wondered if they thought I walked silly. Weird but true. After a month on this medication my life changed. I was more focused my mood swings were not so sever if any at all (I used to have mood swings that would last four and sometimes six months at a time). This medicine changed my life and I feel as though the effects were life changing! Even when I stopped taking the medication I still felt the affects from how I felt. I do not recommend stopping taking the medication though as the mood swings will gradually find their way back into your life. I"

Bi-polar Bill (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 1, 2016

"This medicine probably saved my life. After being misdiagnosed with severe depression, I had been on a high dose of Prozac which led me to a near suicide attempt. Switching psychologists, I was diagnosed with bipolar 2, taken off of the Prozac and put on this medication and almost immediately noticed a difference. They told me that I shouldn't feel a difference until at least 150mgs but I felt it at 75mgs. I'm currently on 400mgs which is usually the highest for treating bipolar. It is also used to treat epilepsy, and people with epilepsy take thousands of mgs a day, so it I felt safer when experimenting with it. The only reason I gave it a 9 is that it doesn't completely hold me over when I have overwhelming emotions. Adding Trileptal now."

Anchor3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 30, 2016

"Lamictal worked like a charm on my mood. I so pleasantly surprised and relieved! I've tried something like 10 medications in an 11-year period and it's been the only thing that's worked. However, it gave me really bad back acne (like, whoa) and made me very physically ill- super swollen lymph nodes in my neck, fever, vomiting & fatigue, etc. I had to stop taking it, but I'd say it's definitely worth a try. In general I'm very susceptible to side effects. I have hypomania, depression, anxiety, ADHD, my mood is super unstable, and Lamictal was prescribed to me because my doctor wanted to stabilize my mood before putting me on a stimulant since stimulants by themselves make me way too hyper."

Anonymous August 29, 2016

"I was misdiagnosed for several years by numerous doctors who all kept throwing drugs upon drugs to deal with one symptom after another. I finally found my current psychiatrist who properly diagnosed me at that time with BP2. I started on Lamictal then and as the years have progressed and episodes have happened and my diagnosed changed to BP1 my dosage changed. I've been taking 600 mg for years and have had no side effects at all. To keep my mania at bay I take 600 mg of seroquel daily and then 300 mg of Wellbutrin to keep depression leveled out. I have to take 400 mg of Lamictal in the morning and then the other 200 mg at night before bed. That seems to keep a even range in my body."

bikergirl676 (taken for 10 years or more) August 27, 2016

"Caused a rash, so discontinued use."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016