User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Lamictal Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamictal to treat Bipolar Disorder

"It really does work amazingly! I am bipolar II. was originally diagnosed as having major depressive disorder, but my depression did fluctuate in intensity quite a bit, so my psychiatrist thought Lamictal could work and that I could bipolar. So I started Lamictal (ironically right before I started the Lamictal I started having hypomania and was then properly diagnosed as bipolar II) For weeks it really did not help much - and then I reached the full dose of 200mg. I've been on this dose for a month and have felt completely normal or virtually normal most of the time! The medication isn't perfect though, as the depression ocassionally comes on rather hard, but even when it does it is temporary and NOWHERE near as bad as it was before."

mmay27 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've recently started taking lamictal (50 mg) about three days ago for bipolar disorder along with lithium (600 mg) which was originally 900 mg but I found it to be too sedating so my doc lowered it back to 600 and I can honestly say I feel a major difference I feel like my mood is stabilizing and I'm starting to feel happy again and simply normal not too high with unorganized thinking and behavior or a rushed mind with all kinds of racing thoughts or mixed and depressive episodes when I've just felt as if I was in a roller coaster ride with my mood going up and down, and the depressive phase when I didn't care about anything and didn't even want to move and felt hopeless to anyone suffering don't give up and give lamictal a try"

Didi121 (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Lamictal has changed my life. I'm a diagnosed bipolar 1 and have had friends and family notice massive changes in my personality. I never knew life could be so happy and easy."

Kris.helli April 10, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

" I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 recently at 34 years old. I'm also diagnosed with severe depression, generalized anxiety disorder, and PTSD. After being on what seems every antidepressant in the world, finally, a combination of Lamictal, Wellbutrin, and Xanax has been a life saver.I was prescribed the Lamictal a couple months ago. I noticed that after a couple weeks the Lamictal started to wear off a little and the depression started to appear again. I was started on 25 mg and then upped to 50 mg. A few days ago I noticed the depression again. I'm going to ask my Dr. to up my dose again. Sorry for the long response lol. I just wanted to let anyone else know that I'm going through a similar experience."

sudsybathwater (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was diagnosed bipolar a year ago and started at 100 then 150 and now 200mg at night in conjunction with Cymbalta 30 mg. I have had no side effects and I really think this drug has saved my life."

LaLathecat69 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 20, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Lamictal saved my life. I have struggled my whole life with rapid cycling bipolar 2, with more frequent and longer lasting depressive episodes than manic. I was just recently diagnosed and never knew what was wrong with me- I've been dealing with this since as early I can remember , around age 10. I started seeing a counsellor and psychiatrist and this is the conclusion they came to. When I started going I was so close to ending my life, it was terrifying . I just thought it was normal. Then my psychiatrist started me on Lamictal and we worked up to 200 mg and I have never been this happy in my ENTIRE LIFE . I've been overweight forever and I'm now losing a lot of weight healthily, I'm so happy and confident and I'm finally making changes."

Girlchanged March 19, 2017

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was put on lamictal about 9 Years ago.. Tried everything else nothing worked.. I have bipolar..severe panic attacks and agoraphobia.. I was in horrible condition... Started at lowest dose and stayed at 300mg ...fine until about 8 months ago and got scerlitis of eye.. Went to eye doctor treated with steroids... But it just coming back... Finally realized it must be my medication.. Quit lamictal and it was gone.. When I saw my doctor I told her and she said yes that is a side affect and I could never take again.. OMG.. Best med ever for bipolar.. Some anxiety break thrus..but 1st time I ever really felt normal.. After this got another Dr put me on Paxil.. OMG.. What a nightmare.. I bottomed out.. Ground zero... Now on nothing for 3 weeks.."

Pink53! (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 18, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Diagnosed with Bipolar twenty two years ago. Treated initially with lithium and Carbamazepine. I stopped taking everything and existed for years. Extremely bad depression last fall which left me a total shell without memory, emotion, feeling. I am now starting on lamictal as it is time for me to live again rather than exist. Thank you all for your feedback. I am actually looking forward to starting this drug and will keep you updated x"

Anabanana217 March 9, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am bipolar 2 and take 300mg per day. Has changed my life so much. Helped me kick my alcohol addiction and impulsiveness. The last two years have been great. No drug is perfect however, and the withdrawals can be bad. Make sure you take it every day. So I gave it an 8 because I feel great if I keep up with it. I take it right after I wake up because it helps wake me up and gives me energy. Also makes me very patient with myself, other people and just life in general throughout the day. At my current dosage I wouldn't hesitate to call it a smart drug for me because it lessons my impulsive tendencies and quickness to anger. If this doesn't work for you, don't fret, I study medicine, and there is usually always something available to help."

Pugsta March 8, 2017

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I haven't found the perfect medication, but this is among the best so far. What is nice is that is also indicated for pain and helps my severe pain condition by reducing neuropathic pain."

CB114 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2017

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking 200 mg. Lamictil for the last 2.5 months in combo with 60 mg. Cymbalta. I feel much less manic than before Lamictil but feel Cymbalta is too activating & makes me manic. Seeing my shrink soon to sort it out."

Ntended (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"For me the side effects greatly outweighed the benefits since I didn't feel any benefits. This medicine might be effective for the treatment of something. However bi-polar/depression not so much. Not a whole lot of fun when you stop taking it either."

Huro1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've used Lamictal for several years and I feel that it is a very effective drug with little to no side effects. Moods are quite stable; although I still do get some depression. Overall, I've been extremely stable for the past 3 years taking it with a combination of Lexapro for depression."

Velveteen Rabbit March 1, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication completely turned my life around. For 2 years I've been going through countless of antidepressant cocktails without much luck (one of them was Effexor and Mirtazapine which apparently is one of the most effective combos) It was until a few months ago when I demanded being evaluated for bipolar disorder, and after a few tests they put me on Lamictal (in combination with Wellbutrin, Prozac and Mirtazapine) the first titration weeks was hell, my mood was all over the place. But early February everything did a 180 and now I'm finally able to live a normal adult life"

Bipolar2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on 400 mgs for six years. In that time it messed with my testosterone. My doctor never said anything about it. Still suffered from manic depression, depression anxiety."

Dean Winchester February 23, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I wanted to add to my review. Besides developing a very bad rash & chest pains, sometimes Lamictal would give me heartburn & indigestion too. It would last for hours & I would be very nauseated. I never had heartburn or indigestion before, so I know it was the medicine that caused it. I'm so glad I don't take it anymore."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had a few unpleasant side effects. I feel truly blessed with this medication. I had bipolar 2 and other more common medications were not an option for my mood disorder. It keeps me so much more stable. I took a lot of drugs before and was suicidal. I was able to get off drugs and stopped my suicidal urges. I had grown unfaithful with psychiatry. I was sure that this medicine would not work like every other thing but it helped me so much. There are so many positive effects. Prevents suicidal urges, lessen depression, relaxes my body, helped me take lower doses of Xanax, helps anxiety, helps sleep, Happy sometimes Cons - It effects my memory bad and I've lost a lot of hair. I'm a girl and my hair is really thinning out. :/"

Jennycccxzx (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 18, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Lamictal is a great medication. The titration takes quite a while, but it's worth it -- honestly. It isn't too effective at controlling the hypo or full blown mania -- as something like Geodon -- but it's a crown jewel for depression, especially treatment resistant depression. In terms of side effects there are few to none for most people. What I got was some mild dizziness and photosensitivity/blurred vision (a little irritating but nothing serious). In combo with Zoloft this was the "power cocktail" I was on for years."

Psychtraveler (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 16, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started at 25 mg of Lamictal. After 2 weeks my doctor increased it to 50 mg. 2 weeks after increasing my med I noticed a minor skin rash on my chest one night. I overlooked it & continued taking the Lamictal. When my doctor increased it to 100 mg that is when I started having a bad reaction. That night I broke out in a bad rash on my chest, stomach & left arm (not my right arm). I also started having bad chest pains. I called my doctors office the next day & the nurse told me to stop taking the Lamictal & go to the hospital. I'm stubborn, so I refused to go. My chest pains had gone away & the rash was clearing up, so I wasn't as worried about it as I was the night before. I decided to go to the EmergiCare instead & I turned out to be OK"

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm bipolar and I guess for a year or two I was trying to stabilize my mood with pain killers (I've had cervical spine surgery and lung surgery so have access). When I started taking Lamictal it seemed like my pain subsided and I was able to easily quit using my medication. Also haven't felt a need to drink alcohol. Feel very stable and seems like my interests are coming back. I've taken lamictal before for a couple years and don't remember why I got off. First time I took it I got a rash but it went away. This time have not experienced a rash. Taking 200mg morning 200mg night. Seems to be a perfect dose for me. So much easier with my business, wife, and kids. They didn't deserve my mood swings."

RuinerLabs February 1, 2017

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I moved from quetiapine to lamictal about six weeks ago. I have stopped itching as badly now, and feel quite good. Currently taking 200mgs. I am having trouble sleeping, Here in England Dr doesn't prescribe sleeping pills. I'm very tired in the morning as a result and early evening, then come alive! I feel things better, my anger and irritation has subsided. I have lost a stone in weight in last 8 weeks.. this has helped, so feel more positive. I wish I could relax though."

Twigletto (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It was fantastic when I started taking it, I finally felt myself after 3 years of feeling possessed or going crazy...after 3 years of taking it I started to have cysts behind my ears, in my face, especially in the chin, and when I realized it was lamictal that was causing it I stopped it. I still have cysts, I was told it's an allergic reaction on my skin to the drug. Now, after 2 years not taking it the cysts are appearing still but not as fast or defacing as it was. I read on forums the condition could never cure, but I am seeing good progress on my skin. It was a nightmare, it even gave me cysts on my scrotum. The body is slowly expelling them, but very slowly. I also have 3 cysts on my left nipple and I think those will need surgery."

denisignr (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 28, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Our 16 year old son was diagnosed with Bipolar and placed on many medicines that made him worse. Once he started on Lamictal, he is making wonderful progress, having clearer thinking and more stable moods. He stated that the medicine is really helping him. He has been on this medicine for several months at a low dosage and we are seeing our son come back!"

My3SonsRGreat January 25, 2017

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Well, I don't know if I'm the only one on here but this did not work very well for me. My skin started being much more red (especially in my face). Under my eyes looked sickly. I had a harder time falling asleep. I even began to have ocular problems. I still was having panic attacks and severe depression--I suppose I was less manic though?"

kcgirl1234 January 25, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Lamotrigine was the first medication I was prescribed after being diagnosed with bipolar II at 32 years old. Almost immediately, I felt more even. As I was titrated from 25 mg to 250 mg over a few months, I was lifted out of a severe, crippling depression. Lamotrigine is my %u201Cpep%u201D drug because it works for me as an antidepressant. I did go manic on it a couple times when the medication dosage was increased and had to go on a second medication (Neurontin) to %u201Cbring me down.%u201D But the two meds together work to even me out. Overall, I think this is a great medication. I%u2019ve had no major side effects except severe insomnia but the second medication sleeping medication help manage that."

elf_1984 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 24, 2017