User Reviews for Lamictal (Page 4)

Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder 7 reviews 28 medications

Bipolar Disorder 311 reviews 33 medications

8.5
Seizure Prevention 37 reviews 32 medications

7.5
Summary of Lamictal reviews 355 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Lamictal

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal helps with my bipolar depression. I haven't felt helpless or hopeless since starting the medication. I take the maximum dosage of 200mg twice per day."

chrisbce (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 30, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I have mercury-poisoning induced Bipolar II and took Lamictal. It made me feel great until I ended up in the hospital with erythema multiforme covering my whole body and aseptic meningitis. I was very disappointed because I was starting to feel really good on it. Andy Cutler Protocol has been the best treatment for me thus far, but I really wanted something to eliminate the depressive episodes (my manic ones are mild) while I get all the mercury out."

Hatter123 April 29, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I just started this med and I am on week 5 of the "starter" pack. I know it's a little soon to give my opinion BUT I want to give words of encouragement if you're struggling with your diagnosis and taking "that pill". I spent so much time in a deep, dark hole and I started getting "scared" that I wasn't going to see sunshine in my life again. I became desperate enough to call my Doc and agreed that I was "probably" bipolar (she saw it and I was in denial!) and I was willing to talk "meds". After the first two weeks I noticed that life was looking better and I felt like participating a little...by the end of week 4 I was able to have a conversation. I'm starting to see beautiful colors in my once bleak world!"

msmac93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2015

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been on this medicine 175mg per for 5 years-cyclothymia-miracle medicine. I was either angry or ecstatic on any given day. Now the same guy shows up every day-so thankful for this medicine."

tenover April 23, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been on Lamotrigine (lamictal) for about a year. DR VERY slowly dosed me up to 150mg mostly because I keep missing doses. It begins working immediately. You'll experience drowsiness with each dosage upgrade. I started feeling more "normal" and balanced. It has also reduced frequency and intensity of panic attacks, no more tremors (might be due to addition of proprananol). I feel I should have been on this for years before now. I think it has increased made my skin dryer but thankfully no rash. It helped me cope with grief and aggression too. I've insisted that Dr never take Me off this med."

glam1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 22, 2015

For Seizure Prevention "My neurologist decided to try lamictal with me because of the inefficiency of topamax. As I was weening off topamax, he put me on 300mg of lamictal XR. After a few weeks, I was solely on lamictal and no more topamax. Yet, the first two weeks I had two seizures, so my doctor decided to put me on 1000mg of Keppra. I've had a few more seizures on lamictal and it was very random. I believe that lamictal is not beneficial by itself, but combined with another drug, it seems to help out. Although it helps a little bit, the side effects are fatigue, weakness and low appetite. These side effects weren't as bad as topamax, but they weren't the best. In the end, I've been seizure free for the last six months on lamictal and keppra."

Zane Dayton (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 15, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "This was very, very good. I have MDNOS (Mood Disorder Not Otherwise Specified) however, it is likely that I have Bipolar 2 Disorder, and my doctor has used the terms hypomania and major depression to describe elements of my condition. I also experience some anxiety. I tried Zoloft before, but as many people with Bipolar Disorders know, that can lead to some bad things happening. I had significant side effects and it made me irritable. When I got to Lamictal, I immediately noticed how much better things were. First, I began to feel less depressed, and I noticed that I had virtually no side effects. I have never even heard of a psych medication with no side effects (for me at least). It worked well for all of my problems."

BDPM (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 9, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal is a great medication for the depressive side of my bipolar 1 disorder, but try as I may, it is not a good mono-therapy, meaning I can't take it alone. I need another mood stabilizing medication with it or it causes anxiety and irritability to worsen. I'm giving it 7 of 10 stars because it doesn't work for bipolar 1 as a mono-therapy and has effected my memory and ability to recall words and to read quickly. Side effects for me are reading difficulty, memory issues, and break through anxiety and irritability."

BAAAEE (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 30, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been on lamictal for about a month now. I started on 50mg, 2nd week 75mg, and 3rd week 100mg at night. 1st 2 days in on 50 I felt borderline aggressive and very irritable. This evened out on the 3rd day and I began to feel very motivated and able to think clearly. I still experienced a few depressive episodes, but I hope to get onto an antidepressant once my dose is high enough. I've began taking 25mg in the AM to slowly move up to 100 in the AM on top of my 100 at night. Since I have, my memory, attention, and anxiety have worsened and other side effects have been sweating, raised heart rate, some trouble sleeping, and slight photo-sensitivity. Most of these have subsided as I adjust so overall it's best to stick with it for a bit."

mellatpal (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on this for about 8 yrs. It is the only thing that made me feel normal with out being loopy or "high". My only thing is that I am needing to either increase it or add something. Open to suggestions."

Salenad (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 22, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Not very helpful for the depression except at higher dose of 300+mg. at that dose I experienced severe hair loss: About a third of my hair fell out in about four months"

Lewisnancy (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Post concussion, leading to: explosive outbursts, withdrawal from activities I used to enjoy, addictive behaviors. I wasn't worried about the skin rash; the evidence is clear when slowly titrated up, the risk is low. I have experienced some cognitive sluggishness and muscle cramping at 150mg, but they are only annoyances. Drug saved my marriage and job, allowed me to become self-reflective (rather than self-hating) again. Also, I have experienced another (very welcome!) side effect: um, er, astonishing sexual pleasure. When I told my doc about this, he smiled, said a small percentage of patients will have this "side effect". I'm glad I have! So, the drug has worked well for me in many regards."

PDDr (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication literally saved my life. I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder Type 1. I also experience mixed episodes and psychosis. I've tried countless antidepressants, mood stabilizers, and antipsychotics. Upon being recommended this anticonvulsant, I was skeptical. It took a while to titrate to the effective level. I am now on 300 mg of Lamictal every day. This medication gave me head aches at first, I also experienced weight loss. I still have my bad days but they're not as intense and frequent as they were before this medication. I now have the will to live again, thanks to lamictal."

Anonymous February 19, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I experienced depressive episodes once every 10 years or so, 18 months duration. When my husband died suddenly of coronary problems in '89, I was in a down stage--which didn't change until the Dr. and I found Lamictal. Tried 11 meds before without result, still locked into depression. Was tired or hyper while we worked out the dosage. Very slight hair loss was a small price to pay for a new life! Friends even remarked on the favorable attitude change. I can't thank the developers enough and it's a shame it doesn't work for all bipolar II sufferers!"

Thekimmer (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 18, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Thanks Lamictal, my moods are level (no lows or highs),no more rapid cycling or rapid thoughts, feel confident, happy, more energy, haven't had one depressive thought since starting this medication and at my correct dose of 200mg (cut in half and take 1/2 tablet twice per day, works out cheaper this way). Finally found the best medication for me. "

dmmw1983 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "3 yrs, 150 x 150mg. Too many side effects including total oral decay due to no saliva production."

Llilys (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 14, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I took Lamictal for 6 months to treat bipolar and anxiety. As far as I can tell, it did nothing for me. Took forever to titrate up, due to the risk of rash, and am now weaning myself off. Trying Seroquel now, which is showing far more promise."

valchicago February 12, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "works great for mood swings and temper problems, substantially reduced anxiety"

amanda louise (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 11, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "After years of antidepressant tablets that worked only to blank out my memory and let me survive, I went on to lamotragine six months ago. Suddenly and quickly I started to feel normal again. My long term memory has returned, and I take pleasure in music and nature again. I feel so much happier. On the negative side the fatigue became a problem but has reduced as I reduced my dose to get to optimal. Insomnia and vivid dreams have increased but I can deal with that. Also blurred vision and dizziness that is slowly disappearing. In short a miracle for bipolar 2. I also take Lexapro."

Longtermbipolar February 7, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "This has saved my life, but make sure to take it on time"

smdera (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 23, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "As a mood stabilizer for Bipolar Disorder, Lamictal has worked wonders for me. I was worried about getting the dreaded "Lamictal rash" but never did. My doctor followed the guidelines for increasing the dose slowly and I never had any side effects. I have been on the maintenance dose for several months and I actually feel normal. If there is such a thing. I am currently taking Lamictal in conjunction with the antidepressant, Cymbalta. Finding the right medication(s) can be very frustrating, but please don't give up."

Ailicec (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 5, 2015

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "It has saved my life. Literally."

AustiNique (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 3, 2015

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "While taking this medicine... It keeps my mind racing, kept my heart %u2665 racing. For the 3 weeks I've been taking it my blood pressure stayed high while taking the meds now that I stop taking them my blood pressure been back to normal. I stayed very hot & dizzy while on it. I felt the same just had a little energy."

Zina S. December 28, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "I've suffered from depression and anxiety since I was a teen, made worse after the birth of my child. I tried various antidepressants which had the usual side effects of headaches, sluggishness, low libido and weight gain. One was a total disaster and triggered a hypo manic episode. I've spent 3 years medication free, with no manic episodes but still struggling with depression. 3 weeks ago I started Lamictal. I know it's early days to call it a win but I immediately felt better. The volume on that horrible self talk has been muted, I feel positive and optimistic. No headaches, no loss of libido and it is weight neutral. I have noticed a few side effects - the first week my skin was very itchy and I'm losing more hair than usual. Hope this subsides."

Imokyourok (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2014

For Seizure Prevention "I do like Lamictal as it kind of kept my seizures under control but the side effects on my body and the fact that I still had grand mal seizures more frequently than never I decided to try medical marijuana. I am very pleased to say the the high strains have kept my seizures away entirely."

Nottheone December 12, 2014