User Reviews for Lamictal (Page 4)

Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder 9 reviews 27 medications

Seizure Prevention 43 reviews 32 medications

7.6
Summary of Lamictal reviews 450 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Lamictal

For Bipolar Disorder "This drug has given me my life back. I am now emotionally balanced, it has given me back the sparkle in my eye (says my wife), I can focus and I am dealing with things I was afraid to before due to BP anxiety. I was a complete MESS before lamictal, hardly able to take care of myself and had lost interest in all activities and v emotional depressed/antzy/angry despite being on lithium 1000, seroquel 100mg mirtazapine 25mg. On lamictal my brain just calmed the heck down. I feel normal, reasonable and have the energy and ability to DO things again. No side effects noticed on lamictal. Hope to stay on this drug for years to come. On a side note some BP groups on FB are really helpful and supportive and friendly. You are not alone with BP."

Doyourownresearch (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm diagnosed with bipolar 2 and been on lamictal for several years. The Doc. Had me up to 150 mg it made me manic so my dose was to 50 mg i tolerated 50 mg the drug did nothing for OCD I only had minor depression before the drug. The doc thought that Lamictal would control my mania and OCD but it doesn't The small dose did take stop my eye twitch so I'm staying with it."

Irk November 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "so Lamictal takes a while to work...in my case it was about 6 months to reach is maximum effect.I am on 200 mg. if I go higher it is a total nightmare. be careful it depends on the person how much you can take. if you feel you are going more depressed go to the dose you were before and take clonazepan as needed but not everyday. lamictal affected my sleep I had to take ambien but after 6 months I started taking melatonin and it worked. I wanted to say that it is important is family support and when that is non existent then in my case, i grabbed a Bible and prayed a lot even until today. psalm 91 and Ephesians 6:10, also Psalm 23. it gets in a point when you have to fight your brain. doctors and medication helps until certain point."

Athalain (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I was only on this drug for a month ramping up to 50mg before I developed a rash that spread all over my body including swelling, 104° fever's, chills and night sweats. I was hospitalized for two weeks and put on 80 mg of prednisone to try to control it until my body wouldn't metabolize that amount and then I was put on methylprednisone. The rash took two months to go away only after bouts of severe itching, bumps, burning and sloughing of skin from everywhere on my body for weeks. I had to take colloidal oatmeal baths with oil several times a day just to remotely tolerate it. Unfortunately I am one of the rare cases that has a severe life-threatening reaction to it called D. R. E. S. S. Syndrome. Careful!"

Davidpezz October 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "For years I never understood how I could stay in bed for 7 +days. Then when diagnosed, and I started taking lamitical it changed my life. I do have some symptoms, I can stay in bed for 2 days. That is progress for me."

Getting bye bye (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I am 27 and was diagnosed with Major Depression 7 years ago. I was on Fluoxetine which helped somehow but with emotional flatness & low motivation side effect. I also used Paxil when depression strikes again 2 years later but it made my depression worse so i went back on fluxetine. One year ago i felt going depressed again and my doctor put me on Zoloft but i started rapid cycling so i was diagnosed with BP2 and started Lamictal 150mg. I feel really good & normal with it. I never felt like that before. Now i also use 10mg Lexapro which helps me with depression. The great miracle for me was Lamictal not SSRIs ! It surely helps for BP2 to feel normal and happy without any sedation or annoying side effects."

mehr1367 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I started taking lamictal for my unspecified bipolar disorder a few weeks ago. The results have been remarkable, I could feel the medication start work a few hours after the first dose and it was definitely more than just a placebo effect. I was less flighty and everything just seemed brighter and clearer. My thinking has cleared up and my mood is well controlled even while traveling, which is when hypomania usually sets in for me."

sjl1 October 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy "I started taking Limictal about 7yrs ago 2x's a day morning & night 150 mg & I love it Wth all the other anti Seizure meds also I hve to take other anti-seizure meds 3x's daily total by bedtime it's actually 4 x's a day. I can't say enough good things about Limictial wth it & the combination of the other anti- seizure meds I take daily it's a great mix for me. Also read ur information as it is very dangerous to suddenly quit taking it & it's not good to run out either trust me I went 2 days 1x without it on the weekend & U better believe I couldn't wait until Monday morning came & I could go pick it up. Don't make my mistake ur never supposed to miss a doss & I haven't since"

Me-Maw (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "My daughter took lamictal for bipolar 1 condition. She titrated up as instructed by her psychiatrist. After 3 weeks, her eyes became irritated, she developed white sores inside her mouth, followed by a life threatening rash that put her in the hospital for 3 weeks. It was touch and go for 2 weeks. She was diagnosed with SJS that turned to TEN. Amniotic membrane was surgically placed into her eyes for protection and she was unable to see for 6 weeks. This medication was not worth the risk."

Livid and bothered (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizure Prevention "I was diagnosed with grandmal epilepsy in 2004, had been on life support twice, longest for 17days, not good, they said it was temporal lobe sclerosis/ skull fractures etc, from playing rugby. I've had many medication changes from clonazapam to keppra & every thing in between" I am currently on 1000g morning/night of Keppra and have started taking 50g lamictal morning/night, as was still have severe absences which keppra couldn't stop" The Absence events have all but stopped after 3mths, although I have not had a good time with constant saliva, spitting. Which I believe is from the "flavour/effervescent" make up of the tablet. Does anyone else have this problem??"

Mr Strong (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "This drug is a god send I suffered from bipolar since I was 17 im now 21 I have mixed episode that last for 6 month or more. I tried evey single medicine and I mean every thing antidepressant make me worse I have panic attack, fears ,alot of tears, a lot of depression, obsessive songs in my head lol and nothing seems to work like this one. I left all other drugs (not cold turkey ) , and started it and within 2 weeks I got normal - no panic, no depression and of course no hypomanic no side effect at all , this drug saved I'm more stable focused try it if you are bipolar 2 its a game changer"

jason83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "This medicine is a godsend. I literally felt like it grew me up. it helps so much with bi polar disorder! I used to walk down the street and wonder what passing cars thought about me and wondered if they thought I walked silly. Weird but true. After a month on this medication my life changed. I was more focused my mood swings were not so sever if any at all (I used to have mood swings that would last four and sometimes six months at a time). This medicine changed my life and I feel as though the effects were life changing! Even when I stopped taking the medication I still felt the affects from how I felt. I do not recommend stopping taking the medication though as the mood swings will gradually find their way back into your life. I"

Bi-polar Bill (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "This medicine probably saved my life. After being misdiagnosed with severe depression, I had been on a high dose of Prozac which led me to a near suicide attempt. Switching psychologists, I was diagnosed with bipolar 2, taken off of the Prozac and put on this medication and almost immediately noticed a difference. They told me that I shouldn't feel a difference until at least 150mgs but I felt it at 75mgs. I'm currently on 400mgs which is usually the highest for treating bipolar. It is also used to treat epilepsy, and people with epilepsy take thousands of mgs a day, so it I felt safer when experimenting with it. The only reason I gave it a 9 is that it doesn't completely hold me over when I have overwhelming emotions. Adding Trileptal now."

Anchor3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal worked like a charm on my mood. I so pleasantly surprised and relieved! I've tried something like 10 medications in an 11-year period and it's been the only thing that's worked. However, it gave me really bad back acne (like, whoa) and made me very physically ill- super swollen lymph nodes in my neck, fever, vomiting & fatigue, etc. I had to stop taking it, but I'd say it's definitely worth a try. In general I'm very susceptible to side effects. I have hypomania, depression, anxiety, ADHD, my mood is super unstable, and Lamictal was prescribed to me because my doctor wanted to stabilize my mood before putting me on a stimulant since stimulants by themselves make me way too hyper."

Anonymous August 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I was misdiagnosed for several years by numerous doctors who all kept throwing drugs upon drugs to deal with one symptom after another. I finally found my current psychiatrist who properly diagnosed me at that time with BP2. I started on Lamictal then and as the years have progressed and episodes have happened and my diagnosed changed to BP1 my dosage changed. I've been taking 600 mg for years and have had no side effects at all. To keep my mania at bay I take 600 mg of seroquel daily and then 300 mg of Wellbutrin to keep depression leveled out. I have to take 400 mg of Lamictal in the morning and then the other 200 mg at night before bed. That seems to keep a even range in my body."

bikergirl676 (taken for 10 years or more) August 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Caused a rash, so discontinued use."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "This was the first mood stabilizer I was put on when I was diagnosed BP2 and I've been on it ever since, which was about 9 years ago. I love this med- I've had NO side effects. I'm on 500mg which is a very high dose but I'm also very treatment resistant. The only negative thing about this med is that I can't go on birth control. I have horrible mood swings and pain around 'that time' and birth control would help, but besides it lessening the effect of the birth control it also lessens the effectiveness of lamictal. There may be some birth control pill out there I can take, but my pdoc, and gyno haven't found it. :( Besides that this med is amazing & I'll never go off of it"

starlight77 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Did everything right: titrated up gradually as per manufacturer's instructions. Only side effect was a slight front forehead ache in the mornings. Then.... WHAM! About 6 weeks into taking lamotrigine woke up with migraine killer headache & aching joints like getting the 'flu. Then next morning had rash all over body which became raised bumps. Then bloodshot eyes. I was in bed the best part of 2 weeks. Instantly, I stopped the lamotrigine. Even though my psychiatrist just told me to reduce the dose! Duh! If not for the SJS reaction, I would definitely still be on this drug."

BrizVegasGal August 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "This medicine gave me way too much energy. The other night I went on a run at midnight, because I had to burn off the energy. I would say it definitely made me extremely manic. I also stopped getting my period on it, and my breasts grew larger as well. Strange.."

Creamsoda August 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Very effective but the side effect are bad if I don't take it correctly. I think there are ways you can reduce the effects( getting correct dosage of course) Before you consider going up a dose its worth considering. When you take them? I began taking mine at night, but have since taking through the day avoids headache, vision blurred, tremours. I take more last dose, breakfast, lunch & dinner. Do you take them food?I take them with food, I defiantly feel side effect, every time if I don't eat properly and skiip a meal Are you on any hormone treatment hrt/pill? I have found that there is a, as I call it, lower absorption rate as I'm on hrt and my consultant phy agrees, so I am taking a high does.What dosage? Even 25mg makes a difference."

Bee23 July 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "First I want to thank you all for your helpful reviews. It helped me to do my own research so I can suggest my choice of treatment to my psychiatrist, rather than just trusting the one he suggests. After being diagnosed bipolar 2, he suggested another med. I strongly advocated for Lamictal. I tapered up to 200mg, on a conservative schedule. I've had good results over the past 9 months. It definitely has lowered the instances of hypomania, or at least deescalated the intensity. It's done little to address the depression or anxiety, so we've agreed to add anti-depressant. Again, he suggested Cymbalta, which I opposed due to the all the information regarding withdrawal syndrome. We agreed on a low dose of Prozac which is going well so far."

bobby1977 (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication has been very helpful as a mood stabilizer, along with Seroquel and Klonopin. It keeps me more "even." Although I have breakthrough depression and some manic symptoms here and there, for most part, it's been useful when it comes to preventing full-blown episodes, along with the other meds. I hope it continues to do so. I take 200 mg total daily. I haven't noticed any side effects, and I've been pretty consistent taking it. Lamictal takes a long time to titrate up. It's done me a lot of good. I'm working long hours and living a productive life."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have only been on lamictal for a few months now. I am able to attend class again function at work and this is the first time in 3 years I've home without some form of severe beak."

Jojojojojojojo May 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I've taken Lamictal since 2002 and combined with two other drugs, I've been symptom free from bipolar since 2002."

Brightster (taken for 10 years or more) May 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "This has been the best medicine for lifting my mood from severe depression due to bipolar. I have come along way. If you have not tried this I recommend it highly. I do take this with cymbalta, but I was on it years ago by itself and got good results. Give it a try."

Feefee40215 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2016