User Reviews for Lamictal (Page 4)

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder

Epilepsy
6.6

Summary of Lamictal reviews 7.9 476 reviews

Reviews for Lamictal

For Bipolar Disorder "I was on 400 mgs for six years. In that time it messed with my testosterone. My doctor never said anything about it. Still suffered from manic depression, depression anxiety."

Dean Winchester February 23, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I wanted to add to my review. Besides developing a very bad rash & chest pains, sometimes Lamictal would give me heartburn & indigestion too. It would last for hours & I would be very nauseated. I never had heartburn or indigestion before, so I know it was the medicine that caused it. I'm so glad I don't take it anymore."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I've had a few unpleasant side effects. I feel truly blessed with this medication. I had bipolar 2 and other more common medications were not an option for my mood disorder. It keeps me so much more stable. I took a lot of drugs before and was suicidal. I was able to get off drugs and stopped my suicidal urges. I had grown unfaithful with psychiatry. I was sure that this medicine would not work like every other thing but it helped me so much. There are so many positive effects. Prevents suicidal urges, lessen depression, relaxes my body, helped me take lower doses of Xanax, helps anxiety, helps sleep, Happy sometimes Cons - It effects my memory bad and I've lost a lot of hair. I'm a girl and my hair is really thinning out. :/"

Jennycccxzx (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 18, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal is a great medication. The titration takes quite a while, but it's worth it -- honestly. It isn't too effective at controlling the hypo or full blown mania -- as something like Geodon -- but it's a crown jewel for depression, especially treatment resistant depression. In terms of side effects there are few to none for most people. What I got was some mild dizziness and photosensitivity/blurred vision (a little irritating but nothing serious). In combo with Zoloft this was the "power cocktail" I was on for years."

Psychtraveler (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 16, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I started at 25 mg of Lamictal. After 2 weeks my doctor increased it to 50 mg. 2 weeks after increasing my med I noticed a minor skin rash on my chest one night. I overlooked it & continued taking the Lamictal. When my doctor increased it to 100 mg that is when I started having a bad reaction. That night I broke out in a bad rash on my chest, stomach & left arm (not my right arm). I also started having bad chest pains. I called my doctors office the next day & the nurse told me to stop taking the Lamictal & go to the hospital. I'm stubborn, so I refused to go. My chest pains had gone away & the rash was clearing up, so I wasn't as worried about it as I was the night before. I decided to go to the EmergiCare instead & I turned out to be OK"

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm bipolar and I guess for a year or two I was trying to stabilize my mood with pain killers (I've had cervical spine surgery and lung surgery so have access). When I started taking Lamictal it seemed like my pain subsided and I was able to easily quit using my medication. Also haven't felt a need to drink alcohol. Feel very stable and seems like my interests are coming back. I've taken lamictal before for a couple years and don't remember why I got off. First time I took it I got a rash but it went away. This time have not experienced a rash. Taking 200mg morning 200mg night. Seems to be a perfect dose for me. So much easier with my business, wife, and kids. They didn't deserve my mood swings."

RuinerLabs February 1, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I moved from quetiapine to lamictal about six weeks ago. I have stopped itching as badly now, and feel quite good. Currently taking 200mgs. I am having trouble sleeping, Here in England Dr doesn't prescribe sleeping pills. I'm very tired in the morning as a result and early evening, then come alive! I feel things better, my anger and irritation has subsided. I have lost a stone in weight in last 8 weeks.. this has helped, so feel more positive. I wish I could relax though."

Twigletto (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "It was fantastic when I started taking it, I finally felt myself after 3 years of feeling possessed or going crazy...after 3 years of taking it I started to have cysts behind my ears, in my face, especially in the chin, and when I realized it was lamictal that was causing it I stopped it. I still have cysts, I was told it's an allergic reaction on my skin to the drug. Now, after 2 years not taking it the cysts are appearing still but not as fast or defacing as it was. I read on forums the condition could never cure, but I am seeing good progress on my skin. It was a nightmare, it even gave me cysts on my scrotum. The body is slowly expelling them, but very slowly. I also have 3 cysts on my left nipple and I think those will need surgery."

denisignr (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 28, 2017

For Epilepsy "I cannot stop singing its praises. Two years ago I had no idea what was wrong with me, I felt "fogginess" and tried everything- declared "headaches" caused by anxiety or depression, had to take a year off of school since I couldn't function; xanax helped but I didn't understand why, and about 17 other antidepressants or antianxiety medications later I was put on lamictal due to a diagnosis of BPD. Almost instantly, from that initial does of 25mg I started being able to focus and the fogginess lifted. As the dosage increased to 150mg to twice a day, I was given back all waking hours of clarity. I could focus, produce, study, think clearly, remember clearly, everything. As a result of being given power back, the depression vanished."

Anonymous January 27, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Our 16 year old son was diagnosed with Bipolar and placed on many medicines that made him worse. Once he started on Lamictal, he is making wonderful progress, having clearer thinking and more stable moods. He stated that the medicine is really helping him. He has been on this medicine for several months at a low dosage and we are seeing our son come back!"

My3SonsRGreat January 25, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Well, I don't know if I'm the only one on here but this did not work very well for me. My skin started being much more red (especially in my face). Under my eyes looked sickly. I had a harder time falling asleep. I even began to have ocular problems. I still was having panic attacks and severe depression--I suppose I was less manic though?"

kcgirl1234 January 25, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamotrigine was the first medication I was prescribed after being diagnosed with bipolar II at 32 years old. Almost immediately, I felt more even. As I was titrated from 25 mg to 250 mg over a few months, I was lifted out of a severe, crippling depression. Lamotrigine is my %u201Cpep%u201D drug because it works for me as an antidepressant. I did go manic on it a couple times when the medication dosage was increased and had to go on a second medication (Neurontin) to %u201Cbring me down.%u201D But the two meds together work to even me out. Overall, I think this is a great medication. I%u2019ve had no major side effects except severe insomnia but the second medication sleeping medication help manage that."

elf_1984 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 24, 2017

For Seizure Prevention "I guess I mostly have a lot of questions. I had one seizure in August, 2014 or at least that's what I was told when I woke up in a hospital. I was put on Keppra 750mg 2x a day. In 2015 I was diagnosed as Bipolar. I was put on Lamictal 100mg 1x a day. I've had many EEG's and MRI over the past 2 years, most recently November, 2016. I just met with my Neurologist last week and he said that my latest EEG confirmed, yet again, I have 'abnormal electricity full brain every 4-5 seconds', which I've had since birth. Now I have to do an Ambulatory EEG for 3 days/nights and bloodwork. Urrggh!!! Somebody please wake me up from this nightmare! Questions - Why Lamictal for Bipolar when it's for seizures? Why a 3 day EEG? Why Keppra & Lamictal?"

Urrggh! (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 17, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Hi all, I left my opinion last year around October. And things have changed just a bit. I understood my illness is genetic Bc my uncle had it and my dad has it but don't accept it I guess. Anyway 70% of cases have a genetic background so feel better about that. You didn't chose this. I feel Lamictal is not working as well after two years but not a major change. I will increase it from 200mg to 250 this week. I control my depression with clonazepan. I feel anxiety makes depression worse. So when it kicks in then I feel stronger enough to make a prayer and it goes away.we need to do some work in our brain. Everything that is negative you change it for "yes" and I can and I will."

The Athalaian (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017

For Seizure Prevention "I was diagnosed with an arteriovenous malformation (AVM) in my left parietal part of my brain in 2015 after I had a stroke at 21. I had it removed in 2016. I was on dilantin and it made me feel horrible. After my surgery in the hospital I had a seizure 3 times and they came in increments of 3. I was then put on Keppra with Dilatin. No good. My moods went crazy. Then they switched me to Lamical with a low dose of dilantin eventually weaning off of the dilantin. I was put on 400 mg of lamictal. Just recently I had a bad seizure and now they increased my does to 600mg. It is working but I feel very disconnected and spacey. Its helping with seizures but not liking the side effects. I am now looking into a device called Responsive neurostimulation (RSN). looking for alternatives but so far lamical works"

Jaz_4 January 13, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on generic lamictal for nearly 2 months, on 300 mg for 1 week so far. I feel great when I wake up, depressed late am and afternoon, then decent in the evenings. Has anyone else had this with lamictal? My hope is that a higher dosage will do the trick. Thanks for any responses!"

Nadia2000 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "Not the most effective. It did tone down my hypomania a little bit. I normally get depressive episodes at a set time every year, and lamotrigine pushed it a bit later than it would have been. Besides that, it didn't do much; I'm still having severe depressive episodes that lead to suicidality. No side effects on its own, but I've noticed that it seems to magnify the side effects of other drugs if I take both (e.g., if I take a drug that makes me drowsy, lamotrigine makes me more drowsy; if I take a drug that makes me nauseous, lamotrigine makes me more nauseous, etc.). All in all I'm pretty neutral on this drug. It's not great, but not bad."

Audrey K January 9, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder "I am a 31 year old female. I was prescribed Lamictal by my psychiatrist after describing my terrible mood swings. I was easily annoyed, agitated, and irritable. I would go from super happy and laughing to crying and screaming at the drop of a hat. I tried so hard to control it, but I couldn't. This medication has leveled me out so much. I feel much more "normal." I'm currently taking 50 mg twice a day. After about a month, I do notice my symptoms start to return. I tell my psychiatrist, and he ups my dose. I'm hoping I'll eventually reach a dosage that'll stick. I still have some anxiety (especially social anxiety), but this medication has helped me so much. It has really improved my personal relationships."

lefrye13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2017

For Seizure Prevention "Started in 2005 with a low dose 50 mg once daily in evening time with no regard to food. It has done a miracle in my case I am virtually 100 % seizure free. No noticeable side effects in my case except dreams in 1st week, as I remember when I started 11 years ago. In 2011 I stopped taking it as I thought I don't need it any more but I had a fit again very soon, so I started again immediately. In 2012, I tried to be over smart and reduced its dose to 25 mg 1 OD, but soon afterwards I had another episode though it was less intense and I controlled myself. Since then I never thought again to discontinue or reduced its dose, I take it each day every day religiously honestly without a break like my breakfast every morning."

imtiazkhan December 31, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I wanted to take some time out of my day in case someone is struggling and I may help them have the hope and courage to take the leap and get better. I have bipolar spectrum ADHD. I have never had a manic episode, but I get pretty irritable, hyper, and feel like I'm crawling out of my skin sometimes. I have some mood swings and have had some impulsive behavior that I am not proud of. I was always very ashamed of this and was lucky that I could contain it by really white-knuckling through life. I eventually was exhausted by this and tried this medicine at the suggestion of a wonderful psychiatrist, who I am willing to recommend. Within a month I was a different person. I am calmer, steadier, and found contentment. Please get help :)."

nicolemarie8 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I've seen a psychiatrist and a therapist for year. Over a 12 year span, I've probably tried 20-30 drugs. This medication is the first to make me feel human again. I'm not a zombie and I'm not lacking emotion. I'm genuinely happy and thriving. I'm so happy I finally found this medication. I've also not had weight gain, I've actually lost some weight."

kshaw2012 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Great. I have been on it for ten years. I was diagnosed with bipolar 1 at 25 y/o and it took me about 1.5 yrs before a psychiatrist recommend this. They also had me on depakote which can cause liver damage. Later I removed the depakote. When life continued became more stressful (getting my master's and starting a family) I had anxiety start and begun Paxil. I am now trying to stop paxil."

Mattyfour December 26, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "At first I was hesitant because of the price w/o ins (over $100 a bottle) and some people can develop a serious rash. However, after some contemplation, and knowing that the lithium I was taking was not helping my bi-polar depression, and knowing Lamictal helps increase energy, I decided to take it anyway... I LOVE THIS STUFF. Its helped me so much, I've gone off lithium and am taking it exclusively for BP2. I'm on a low dose of 50 mg because I experienced some itching at first, which did go away after about a month. Now, I have NO side effects, and my depression is GONE without me feeling numb. In other words, I can still be sad without spinning into depression. I haven't gone manic either, but I rarely go that way, so it works for me!"

LOVE this stuff! (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on 400 mg of lamictal for 12 years. My life went from a nightmare of being diagnosed with major clinical depression and anxiety disorder with racing thoughts to a normal life. I tried more antidepressants and combinations than I can count in the 3 years leading up to my rapid cycling bp2 diagnosis. I have minor hypomanic episodes a few times a year and only a few depressive episodes in the last 12 years. No side effects. Tonight I start Teva manufacturer generic. New insurance won't cover brand ($1100/mth) So scared if it will work. Doc says I'll know within 2 weeks. Had a baseline blood draw so I can compare my levels on brand vs. Generic."

Bp2 tx (taken for 10 years or more) December 1, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "My experience with lamictal is different for me in most cases. I used to take 25mg of lamictal. When I had taken the meds everyday I didn't feel any different from when I wasn't taking them. I had no side effects it was like taking air. So I kept having suicidal thoughts & being angry at 8am & by 8:30 am i was happy. I just had different moods every 30 mins. So i talked to my doctor and told her the meds werent working i told her how i was feeling so she gave me 100mg. Ever since then i have had no feeling what so ever. Like I can choose what to care about & what not to care about. I'll be fine all day and by 8-9 o'clock pm all of my bipolar & depression hits me like a wave of sadness that I feel like I'm drowning in. I guess its worth it.."

CookieMonster9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2016