User Reviews for Lamictal (Page 6)

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder

Epilepsy
6.6

Summary of Lamictal reviews 7.9 463 reviews

Reviews for Lamictal

For Bipolar Disorder "I started taking Lamictal over a year ago to treat my Bipolar II and am currently taking a 200mg dose. It has completely changed my life. I no longer obsessively compulsively shop. I can focus clearly. I no longer have raging mood swings. It controls most of my manic episode symptoms but doesn't really help with depression or manic hyper sexuality otherwise it would be 10/10. I'm working on the depression with Latuda with a small amount of success. Currently I do feel flat, calm and sullen but I can't say that is the Lamictal, it could just be the depression. The pros out way the cons."

GBlacks (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed for OCD 20 years ago, went on zoloft, prozac, paxil and celexa, none of them worked in a long run. So I stop taking meds, but at times, I would get depress for no reason for weeks. I have constant thoughts running in my mind, mostly I am sad, and small things can make me angry, sensitive to sound(phone ringing, door bell, people talking). Now I was diagnosed as Bi polar,and was put on Lamictal 25mg and after 2 weeks increase to 50mg and than 75mg. Thoughts process was gone and was feeling happy. Anger and sensitivity to sound were still there. But 6 weeks on Lamictal, I had sore throat and than running nose, sneezing, flu type symptoms and than I notice rash on my chest, so I stop Lamictal. anyone with similar experi"

sam300 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I started taking Lamictal to treat my bi-polar 2 disorder. At first, the medication really helped my constantly manic depression and I loved it. Then I noticed the fogginess and my brain felt like it wasn't as sharp. The more my doctor increased my dose, the more I started to swell. Eventually I had gained 5 lbs just in water retention. M joints would ache and I couldn't take it anymore. My doctor switched me to Topamax and I can really tell a difference! I loved the emotional effect from the Lamictal but the physical side effects were unreal."

G- NUTS (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have recently started on Lamictal. I must say that I felt positive affects within 2 weeks. I am on a cocktail of medications to manage bipolar. Effexor Ce 150, Seroquel xr 200, Seroquel ir 25, Dothep 25 and now Lamictal 50. I haven't felt this stable for years. My psychiatrist would like to leave my medications as is for 12 months to give me some peace from the mood swings. Her goal then is to reduce the Effexor and seroquel. I can't wait for that day. But for now I am enjoying the stability."

Strawbz77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I've suffered with undiagnosed bipolar 2 for almost 3 decades. For almost 20 years I was on various antidepressants that didn't work, and made my depression worsen. My primary doctor suggested I see a psychiatrist for my lingering depression. Due to the stigma of mental illness, I put it off, but finally saw a psychiatrist. She diagnosed my condition, and I started a low, 25 mg dosage of lamotrigine. My dosage will slowly increase over the next 6 months to a year. The first time I entered the psychiatrist's office, I was filled with melancholy and regret. My first follow up visit to the psychiatrist, I was filled with hope and resilience."

Kramer and Camaro March 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication saved my life! I had severe depression since the age of 12. I've been on Cymbalta, Celexa, Zoloft etc. Nothing worked. Was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. On several occasions tried to take my own life. The last time I nearly succeeded, was on a 72 hour hold. The Dr. proscribed Lamictal at a low dose of 25mg. Gradually increased in increments of 25mg. I'm now taking 150mg. at bedtime and I no longer have thoughts of suicide, hopelessness or despair. I've been taking Lamictal for 2yrs. now, and I can honestly say that I enjoy life for the first time. Don't give up on this medication as it takes time to work. For me, it was about 2 months. I didn't have any side effects, but everyone is different. Good luck and God Bless!"

Carmia (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Did not help, Was on it for several months. If anything, it made my irritability worse and my temper shorter."

marbelt (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizure Prevention "I have been on Lamictal now for 15 years. We started at around 600 mg/day,but gradually reduced this to 250 g/day,and then after a couple of small seizures this was upped to 300g and I now take200 g at night and 100g in the morning. My doctor says Lamictal dosage must be minimum 250 g day to be effective, with a maxi dosage possible of 1 200 g / day. We did try some Lamictal plus Keppra onthe way,but reverted tojust Lamictal and that was fine. I have had very few seizures since I started - maybe once every3 years - but recently got 2 when I went to Australia and had had a 30 hour trip. Stress and alcohol are linked to my attacks. I have very light epilepsy discovered at age 32. I am very happy with it"

Errollflynn (taken for 10 years or more) February 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal gave me two ulcers, failed a drug screen for one of the best jobs around (said I had PCP in my system), debilitating headaches and gained an immense amount of weight. I was hospitalized for attempted suicide and my doc got mad when I weaned myself off. Having said that, I know lots of people that has had great success with it. I guess it all depends on the individual. Not all bipolar cases are the same."

JenfromTN February 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I was very tearful when my doctor prescribed Lamictal because I had only been on SSRI medications in the past (they really messed me up and I was hospitalized). My doctor prescribed me Lamicatal at 25mg for 2 weeks, then 50mg for another 2 weeks, with maintenance at 100mg after that. I was tearful because I was terrified to relive what had happened before. Much to my surprise, Lamictal is what I consider my 'life saver'. I feel my moods have been maintained and balanced since beginning this medication. I have not experienced any weight gain at all only headaches from time to time. My libido has actually increased and I read that this medication can affect the menstrual cycle (which it has for me. has made them lighter!). I love Lamictal !"

OrganicSatanic February 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Schizoaffective Disorder "This medicine works great. With no side effects that I can remember. I wish I was still on this medicine. It's wayyy way better than Zyprexa and all those other meds that make you gain weight and make you tired all the time. This medicine makes you feel normal."

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Hello! I have not been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, but I am 18 and have felt overly sensitive and quick to extreme emotions all my life. I have a trauma history, and have been prescribed Zoloft, Prozac, and Trazadone to cope with my rape trauma, ptsd, etc.. While these meds have helped a bit, My mood swings and my emotional scale still really effects my relationships and lifestyle. I've been feeling really hopeless and self hating lately because of the way I am and have always been. I am being prescribed Lamotrigine by my Psychiatrist and Doctor. I am a little scared at how it will effect me. I hate feeling numb and non-present. I want emotions I just want to control them and not for them to control me. I want to feel whole someday."

Turbur February 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "In my opinion, Lamictal is a great medication. It helped with my moodswings & I didn't experience any side effects from it. The only reason I stopped taking it was because I was having trouble affording it. Otherwise, I'm sure I would still be taking it to this day."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I've take so many medications throughout the years. There was always something I didn't like. I always felt off with every medication. I found out about St John's Wort and it CHANGED MY LIFE! ZERO SIDE EFFECTS! If you're wondering about medications please give St John's wort a try! I feel like me, but a BETTER me! Not a "medicated" me"

Meagan6509 January 25, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have Bi Polar Disorder and had so far tried 4 or 5 combinations of mood stabilisers without success. Started on Lamotragine on a small dose and increased up to 100mg twice a day and felt good for a month. Fell then into a low and increased to 150mg twice a day and this has really helped. I recommend these to anyone who suffers with Bi Polar lows often"

DashingBrian January 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been bipolar for 20 years. I'm a scientist, when I'm working. Lithium has always been helpful but is not so great for depression though it does help if you take it a while. I finally started lamotrigine about a month ago. Lots of friends and professionals I know and trust said I should. I was skeptical since drugs tend to be bad news. After just a month (I titrated up quickly, so I've been on 100 for 2 weeks. probably best not do that there's a fatal skin disease you can get) my low level depression feels better. I'd say it's genuinely beneficial for bipolar depression. A little dizziness but not so bad, and it fades. My friends say there's no evidence that more than 100mg or 150 helps, but it could increase side effects. 100 is good"

sulcus1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have always been moody. Sometimes more than other times. My menstrual cycle, children, jobs, school, work, driving, husband, and everything else not mentioned made me mad for no reason. I hated the way I felt when I responded negatively but couldn't do better. This medicine allows me to finally be somewhat normal. I am excited about all the things go above now. They are full. Like I once had hoped"

Lori31yrs January 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have several people in my family who has bipolar disorder but did not like the fact that my depression and manic symptoms were results of this. While I was in the military they tried numerous medications, from clonazepam and celexa, to trazodone and effexor. Finally one of my Doctors decided to try me on lamotrigine and see how it works. I must tell you quite honestly that this is one of the best medications I have ever tried to combat my bipolar disorder. During the entire time I was being treated for this I had to deal with an injury I had during the war. The military's option was to dope me up to my eyeballs with opiates, which unsurprisingly made my mood unbelievably euphoric constantly."

Beaker82 January 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "On it for 6 years 200mg twice a day. This was a life-changing drug for me I also take Ritalin which has been working for the last 2 years. The lamictal really makes me feel like I have a repaired foundation in my personality. The Ritalin has added to my concentration and keeps me calm and even keeled. I had tried many other medications from my psychiatrist that worked for a short time, but nothing has been as long lasting as these 2 medications. One of the best reasons I have for knowing that they are doing their job is.. most people who know me such as friends , family and fiance would like to give my doctor a great big kiss.."

Surfcrab (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 29, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I learned to live happy in a depressive low. Lamictal, or lomotrogene messed that up. I'm very conscious of my emotions as a lot of people who have bipolar and choose not to take medication. So I know my aggression triggers, I know my anger sometimes comes on and I just want to argue. I know when I am manic. I know when I am sad and having suicidal thoughts. That 10 years no mood stabilizers, depressed the whole time but able to manage it as the disease This drug now it could have been the combo of lomotrugene and clonazepam. My brain began to fight itself I turned into a destructive manic with into a week I was trying to leave my gf and child, for a past ex delusional thoughts she was still in love with me. "

moosejay December 28, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lamotrigine is a god send! Changed my life, wish I'd gone on it years ago. Always felt held back due to instability of moods. Suffered since teenager, thought to be ADD and anxiety. After traumatic divorce (my ex was a drug addict), professionals diagnosed me with cyclothymia. Was afraid to go on meds, being sensitive to drugs, and bad time with the pill. I started taking Lithium- felt fatigued, dehydrated and weird appetite. Switched to Wellbutin, made me lethargic and gave severe brain fog. As a writer and artist, I need to feel things! 5 months ago, a horribly bad week made me willing to try anything. Started @ 25 mg, raised by 25mg every 2 weeks until 200mg. I feel amazing, my life and work have blossomed! Feel grateful to be alive!"

SadnessToSinging (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 27, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have taken Lamictal for 12 years. I was taking 150mgs, now 75mg daily. I have not been manic the entire 12 years, and that is what I wanted to prevent. I still feel sad and scared sometimes but not manic. I am an introvert and like to have a lot of alone time to read, work on the computer, etc. so it's not going to make you an extrovert if you really aren't one. I have medical insurance that helps pay for the brand name, since the generic doesn't work for me. I ended up in the hospital on the generic. I will never stop taking Lamictal, because I don't ever want to not be in control of myself."

Larry6521 December 22, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I was on lamictal for about 5 months. Knocked out the hypomania but did nothing for my depression; it made me feel completely numb which was worse than being depressed/in pain. Also made me horribly nauseous for the entire time I was on it."

Invisiblecreeper December 19, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been on this drug for a little over a month now (lowest dose) along with clonazapam, and trazodone for sleep (all low dose). Like others have said this has changed my life...it felt like I literally changed overnight for the better. I stil have small crying spells and get agitated, but mostly I'm happy. I feel I can talk to anyone now, have lots more confidence, and feel way more motivated. One thing too is that since I am motivated and keep myself, busy I don't overeat like I did when I was going through my major ups and downs. Like others have stated, talk therapy in conjunction with these meds helps tremendously. What also helps is having a good support group too :)"

Luvbugnorm December 4, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "It's a strange little med. You won't always notice it until you come around to a point where you should feel anxious, stressed or depressed and you don't. There isn't an "aha" moment until about 6 months down the road to a year. This is because I found for myself, that going up 25 mgs a month worked best. I had gone up fast as the prescribing recommendation but it seemed to fast for me. Currently at 200mgs, moving up to 300mgs, I've been on it for a year and a half with very good results."

Patient ZERO to One November 14, 2015