Is Topamax a controlled substance?
Topamax (generic name: topiramate) is not classified as a controlled substance under the U.S. Controlled Substances Act (CSA). Topamax is an anticonvulsant (seizure) medication, but is also prescribed for other conditions such as prevention of migraine.
- Topamax is used alone (as monotherapy) as initial treatment of partial-onset or primary generalized tonic-clonic seizures in patients 2 years of age and older.
- Topamax is also used with other medicines (as adjunctive therapy) for the treatment of partial-onset seizures, primary generalized tonic-clonic seizures, and seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. For these uses, Topamax is approved in patients 2 years of age and older.
- Topamax is also approved for the preventive treatment (prophylaxis) of migraine headache in patients 12 years of age and older.
Topamax is made by Janssen Pharmaceuticals, but is also available as a generic tablet (25 mg, 50 mg, 100 mg and 200 mg) and as a generic capsule (15 mg and 25 mg).
Other brand names of topiramate (in extended-release forms) include:
These products are also not classified as controlled substances.
Is Topamax habit-forming or addictive?
No, Topamax (topiramate) is not addictive or habit-forming, and is not considered a drug of abuse.
Topamax may cause confusion, drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. It can impair your ability to drive or operate machinery, and may alter your thinking or reaction times. Be sure you know how Topamax affects you before you drive or perform any hazardous activities.
Related: Topamax side effects (in more detail)
Do not drink alcohol while taking Topamax. Dangerous side effects or increased seizures may occur.
This is not all the information you need to know about Topamax (topiramate) for safe and effective use. Review the full Topamax information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Topamax (topiramate). Product information. Janssen Pharmaceuticals. Titusville, NJ. June 2020. Accessed Jan. 25, 2021 at https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2020/020505s061,020844s052lbl.pdf
Related Medical Questions
- When's the best time of day to take Topamax?
- Does topiramate cause weight loss?
- Can you stop taking Topamax suddenly?
- What not to take with topiramate?
- Does topiramate cause hair loss?
- How long do you stay on Topamax for migraines?
- How long does it take for Topamax to start working?
- How long does Topamax stay in your system?
- How does Trokendi XR help with weight loss?
- Are Topamax and Trokendi XR the same thing?
- What is topiramate used to treat?
- When is the best time of day to take Trokendi XR?
- How fast does Trokendi XR work for migraines?
- Topamax Information for Consumers
- Topamax Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Topamax (detailed)
Related Support Groups
- Topamax (93 questions, 682 members)
- Seizures (126 questions, 768 members)
- Migraine Prevention (100 questions, 321 members)
- Epilepsy (69 questions, 386 members)
- Migraine Prophylaxis (54 questions, 79 members)
- Seizure Prevention (41 questions, 134 members)
- Seizure Prophylaxis (20 questions, 23 members)
- Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome (11 questions, 8 members)