Is Topamax a controlled substance?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on Jan 25, 2021.
Topamax (generic name: topiramate) is not classified as a controlled substance under the U.S. Controlled Substances Act (CSA). Topamax is an anticonvulsant (seizure) medication, but is also prescribed for other conditions such as prevention of migraine.
- Topamax is used alone (as monotherapy) as initial treatment of partial-onset or primary generalized tonic-clonic seizures in patients 2 years of age and older.
- Topamax is also used with other medicines (as adjunctive therapy) for the treatment of partial-onset seizures, primary generalized tonic-clonic seizures, and seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. For these uses, Topamax is approved in patients 2 years of age and older.
- Topamax is also approved for the preventive treatment (prophylaxis) of migraine headache in patients 12 years of age and older.
Topamax is made by Janssen Pharmaceuticals, but is also available as a generic tablet (25 mg, 50 mg, 100 mg and 200 mg) and as a generic capsule (15 mg and 25 mg).
Other brand names of topiramate (in extended-release forms) include:
These products are also not classified as controlled substances.
Is Topamax habit-forming or addictive?
No, Topamax (topiramate) is not addictive or habit-forming, and is not considered a drug of abuse.
Topamax may cause confusion, drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. It can impair your ability to drive or operate machinery, and may alter your thinking or reaction times. Be sure you know how Topamax affects you before you drive or perform any hazardous activities.
Related: Topamax side effects (in more detail)
Do not drink alcohol while taking Topamax. Dangerous side effects or increased seizures may occur.
This is not all the information you need to know about Topamax (topiramate) for safe and effective use. Review the full Topamax information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Topamax (topiramate). Product information. Janssen Pharmaceuticals. Titusville, NJ. June 2020. Accessed Jan. 25, 2021 at https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2020/020505s061,020844s052lbl.pdf
Related Medical Questions
- When's the best time of day to take Topamax?
- Can you stop taking Topamax suddenly?
- Does topiramate cause weight loss?
- What is topiramate used to treat?
- Are Topamax and Trokendi XR the same thing?
- How does Trokendi XR help with weight loss?
- Topamax Information for Consumers
- Topamax Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Topamax (detailed)
Related Support Groups
- Topamax (79 questions, 669 members)
- Seizure Prevention (34 questions, 134 members)
- Migraine Prevention (76 questions, 304 members)
- Epilepsy (48 questions, 375 members)
- Seizure Prophylaxis (15 questions, 22 members)
- Seizures (101 questions, 740 members)
- Migraine Prophylaxis (36 questions, 72 members)
- Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome (8 questions, 6 members)