How do you calculate the dosage for Carnexiv?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 20, 2020.
The total daily dosage of Carnexiv should be 70 percent of the total daily dose of oral carbamazepine, divided into 4 doses and given every 6 hours. For example, for a patient taking a total daily oral carbamazepine dose of 400 mg/day, the corresponding total daily dose of Carnexiv would be 280 mg/day. This translates into 70 mg of Carnexiv to be given intravenously every 6 hours.
Health Care providers can also determine dose by reviewing the table in the manufacturer's package labeling.
Carnexiv (carbamazepine) is the first intravenous (IV) injection formulation of the anti-seizure drug carbamazepine. Carnexiv is used as short-term replacement therapy for oral carbamazepine when taking carbamazepine by mouth is temporarily not feasible.
Patients should be switched back to their previous oral carbamazepine regimen as soon as clinically appropriate. The use of Carnexiv for periods of more than 7 days has not been studied
Related Medical Questions
- Klonopin vs Xanax - How are they different?
- Is Topamax a controlled substance?
- What is topiramate used to treat?
- When's the best time of day to take Topamax?
- Does Trokendi XR cause hair loss?
- Are Topamax and Trokendi XR the same thing?
- What is Onfi used to treat?
- Carnexiv Information for Consumers
- Carnexiv Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Carnexiv (detailed)