How do you calculate the dosage for Carnexiv?
In the U.S., Carnexiv has been discontinued by the manufacturer.
The total daily dosage of Carnexiv should be 70% of the total daily dose of oral carbamazepine, divided into 4 equal doses and given every 6 hours.
- For example, for a patient taking a total daily oral carbamazepine dose of 400 mg/day, the corresponding total daily dose of Carnexiv would be 280 mg/day. This translates into 70 mg of Carnexiv to be given intravenously every 6 hours.
- Patients should be switched back to their previous oral carbamazepine regimen as soon as clinically appropriate.
- Use of Carnexiv is not recommended for periods longer than 7 days.
Health Care providers can also determine dose by reviewing the table in the manufacturer's package labeling.
Carnexiv (carbamazepine) is the first intravenous (IV) injection formulation for the antiseizure drug carbamazepine. Carnexiv is used as short-term replacement therapy for oral carbamazepine when taking carbamazepine by mouth is temporarily not feasible. It is used in adults with the following seizure types:
- Partial seizures with complex symptomatology
- Generalized tonic-clonic seizures
- Mixed seizure patterns which include the above, or other partial or generalized seizures
This is not all the information you need to know about Carnexiv (carbamazepine) for safe and effective use and does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your treatment. Review the full product information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Carnexiv (carbamazepine) [product information]. Lundbeck, Deerfield, Ill. Revised 10/2016. Accessed March 16, 2021 at https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2016/206030s000lbl.pdf
- Drugs@FDA. Carnexiv. AccessedMarch 16, 2021 at https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/daf/index.cfm
Related medical questions
- What type of epilepsy is Diacomit used to treat?
- Klonopin vs Xanax - How are they different?
- How long does Lyrica stay in your system?
- Does topiramate cause weight loss?
- What not to take with topiramate?
- Can you stop taking Topamax suddenly?
- How long does it take for Topamax to start working?
- How long does Topamax stay in your system?
- How long does Trileptal withdrawal last?
- How long does it take for Trileptal to work?
- How does Trokendi XR help with weight loss?
- Carnexiv Information for Consumers
- Carnexiv prescribing info & package insert (for Health Professionals)
- Side Effects of Carnexiv (detailed)