What type of drug is Epidiolex?
Medically reviewed by N. France, BPharm. Last updated on Feb 12, 2021.
Epidiolex is a small molecule drug that contains the active ingredient cannabidiol (CBD), which is one of the many cannabinoids and other chemicals found in the Cannabis sativa plant.
Epidiolex does not contain THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol), which is another cannabidiol found in cannabis. THC is responsible for the ‘high’ people experience when using cannabis, which is also known as marijuana.
Epidiolex comes in the form of an oral solution. It is used for the treatment of seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome, Dravet syndrome or tuberous sclerosis complex in patients one year of age or older.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Epidiolex. Available from: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2020/210365s008lbl.pdf. [Accessed February 12, 2021].
Related Medical Questions
- What are CBD gummies? Are there any health benefits?
- CBD Oil: What are 9 Proven or Possible Health Benefits?
- Does CBD show up on a drug test?
- Does CBD Oil work for pain relief?
- CBD vs THC vs Cannabis: What's the difference between them?
- Does CBD Oil help with anxiety or depression?
- What are the side effects of marijuana?
- Does Epidiolex contain marijuana?
- Does CBD Oil work for dogs and what is it good for?