When is the best time of day to take Trokendi XR?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on March 19, 2021.
Trokendi XR is taken once a day. Your doctor may prescribe Trokendi XR to be taken in the day or at night. Try to take your medicine at the same time each day. It is used alone or with other medicines to control seizures due to certain types of epilepsy, and also for the prevention of migraine headaches. Your initial dose, schedule and final dose will vary based on your use, age, weight, and if you have kidney impairment.
Doses are slowly increased over time to help lessen side effects and to help observe the benefit of the medicine in seizures or migraine prevention. If you prefer to take your medicine in the morning or evening, ask your doctor. If Trokendi XR makes you feel tired or drowsy in the daytime, ask your doctor if you can take your dose at bedtime.
Trokendi XR (topiramate extended-release) comes in 25 mg, 50 mg, 100 mg, and 200 mg extended-release capsules. Your healthcare provider may occasionally change your dose, especially at the beginning of treatment. Do not change your dose or times of administration without speaking with your healthcare provider first.
In children 6 years of age and older using Trokendi XR for the treatment of epilepsy, treatment begins with the dose given at night. Doses in children are based on weight and slowly increased over a period of time. Slowly giving the medicine helps to lessen side effects and assess the child’s clinical response to the medicine.
Can I drink alcohol with Trokendi XR?
Do not drink alcohol within 6 hours before you take Trokendi XR and for 6 hours after you take Trokendi XR. Alcohol can change how the extended-release medicine is delivered to your blood and may affect how the medicine works.
Trokendi XR can frequently cause tiredness, sleepiness, drowsiness, dizziness, changes in vision and slowed reactions. The use of alcohol with Trokendi may also increase these side effects.This drug can also cause other side effects.
Do not drive a car or operate heavy machinery until you know how Trokendi XR affects you.
Learn more: Trokendi XR side effects (in more detail)
Can I sprinkle Trokendi XR on food?
- Do not crush or chew the Trokendi XR capsule or sprinkle its contents on food.
- Swallow the capsule whole and intact.
- Trokendi XR can be taken with or without a meal or food.
- Drink plenty of fluids like water while taking Trokendi XR. This can help prevent the formation of kidney stones.
Take Trokendi XR exactly prescribed by your healthcare provider. Follow all directions on your prescription label. Read the patient medication guide or instruction sheets, and ask your pharmacist or doctor for a copy if you do not have one.
This is not all the information you need to know about Trokendi (topiramate) XR for safe and effective use and does not take the place of talking to your doctor about your treatment. Review the full Trokendi XR information here, and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Trokendi XR (topiramate). [product information]. Supernus Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Rockville, Maryland. Revised 11/2020. Accessed March 19, 2021 at https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2020/201635s025lbl.pdf
Related Medical Questions
- Does topiramate cause weight loss?
- Does topiramate cause hair loss?
- What is topiramate used to treat?
- Are Topamax and Trokendi XR the same thing?
- How does Trokendi XR help with weight loss?
- How fast does Trokendi XR work for migraines?
Related Support Groups
- Topiramate (35 questions, 234 members)
- Trokendi XR (7 questions, 10 members)
- Seizures (104 questions, 741 members)
- Migraine Prevention (81 questions, 304 members)
- Epilepsy (53 questions, 375 members)
- Migraine (186 questions, 1531 members)
- Migraine Prophylaxis (39 questions, 72 members)
- Seizure Prevention (36 questions, 134 members)
- Seizure Prophylaxis (17 questions, 22 members)
- Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome (9 questions, 6 members)