User Reviews for Topamax

Topamax Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 57 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Topamax to treat Migraine Prevention

"I have been taking Topamax for 15 years since 2003. I use it for Migraines and mood disorder. It has been a life saver for me. For the mood disorder it was at 50mg at night, but for migraines I am not at 125 (50 in morning and 75 at night). It works."

Female-50s (taken for 10 years or more) April 23, 2018

"I am 28 and have struggled with migraines for 10 years. I've found 80mg/day of propranolol very effective for the last 3 years. Unfortunately, 4 months ago, I began having migraines that were more frequent, 8 days/mo. My neurologist recommended 100mg/day topamax. The side effects were terrible: extreme fatigue, mental fog, dry mouth and loss of appetite. After 3 weeks, I complained and she reduced my dose to 50mg, which helped with the side effects. Meanwhile, my migraines were just as frequent as before, some requiring intervention at the hospital. My neurologist suggested I stay with it for at least 8 weeks since it can sometimes take that long to show improvement. Finally, after 2 months, I quit topamax and now I'm trying verapamil. Side effects: intolerable Migraine improvement: none My neurologist said that the cognitive side effects can be greater for those with depression or those who are on antidepressants, which I take."

MigraineMavis (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2018

"Overall bad experience. Currently tapering off (was on the med 3 months). Did work in decreasing migraines but the side effects were horrible. Tingly hands, feet, legs and arms; heavy chest (thought I was having a heart attack); very anxious; crying often; just not happy; very tired. I cannot wait to be off of this medication."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2018

"WOW! AMAZING! helped with migraines so much!!!! I really hope it helps curb my appetite like others have said! i’m 5’3, 163lbs and have the most severe back pain from fibromyalgia."

Mereanne (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 28, 2017

"Have been on Topamax 100mg twice a day since July of this year. Once in the morning, once in the evening. Have been a chronic migraine sufferer for at least ten years. Having at least 8-10 migraines per month, lasting at least 24 hours at a time. Unable to leave dark room and often ending up in hospital. Dr started me off on 25 mg twice a day, gradually working me up to 100 mg twice a day. This is the best thing that has ever happened to me!! migraines are down to about 1 to two a month. I can actually live my life!!! Yes, I have lost about 30 pounds since July (almost 5 months) luckily, I had it to lose. But I feel like a new person! Memory was slightly foggy at first but body adjusted and I feel great!!"

neely52 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 22, 2017

"I've been on Topamax since 2010. I started taking 50 mg but I was given the generic and had a really bad allergic reaction to it. My skin broke out and I had to see a dermatologist. I was eventually given Topamax (the brand name) and I no longer had the allergic reaction. The 50 mg wasn't strong enough and eventually I ramped up to 200 mg. I had weight loss in the beginning (close to 90 lbs, which I could afford). I've gained about 20 of it back but I've not lost any since. I do feel that I get somewhat spacey and suffer from some memory loss. I've asked my doctor if I can come off of the medication beginning next year. I've been on it too long and I am concerned with the memory side effects."

gdhouston (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 9, 2017

"First of all I have suffered with headaches all my life and at 52 they seem to be getting worse. I found out I have hypothyroidism and the weight gain is horrible. I’ve gained 15 lbs. My doctor prescribed me Topamax at 25mg still having headaches she changed the dosage to 50mg at twice a day. The first day I took one in the morning and one at evening the next morning I woke up with a severe headache... Could it be from the dr changing my dosage on Topamax?"

Kittycatz (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2017

"I started having daily headaches that turned into a severe migraine as the day progressed. Eventually I would end up lying in bed, in the dark, with no noise, unable to sleep, vomiting from the pain. I was terrified it was my new normal. This was the 1st medication my D.O. prescribed. 25mg for a month. 1st week no headaches. Then they slowly returned but would start a little later in the day. I take 50mg twice a day with 40mg twice a day of propanolol for prevention and it works unless I do a lot of crying. Then I take Fioricet."

aeralynlayla (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 5, 2017

"At first I did not like it at all - I started off on 50mg (recommended) and found it wasn't working. I also was super spaced out, unfocused and constantly feeling like my brain was going but my body wasn't (It was WEIRD). This went on for about a week, then it worked perfectly and I was completely normal. However the migraines started coming back so I am now on 100mg a day and the same thing happened when I upped the dosage. It's working now though! I didn't notice any difference in tasting things but I did get tingles in my fingers and toes! Otherwise all round amazing medicine!!"

Ali Sch September 15, 2017

"I had migraines that lasted up to nine days. My neurologist started me on 25mg Topamax and the frequency dropped off immediately. I actually loved the way I felt on Topamax. I had boundless energy, no appetite, and was always in a good mood. After two years, I decided to stop taking it because my skin was breaking out and I think I felt a little too confident in myself. I drove a little faster, said really odd things to people (no filter) and seemed to be turning into a show off about how skinny I was. Not my best personality! I stopped taking it and didn't gain any weight, but the headaches are back. Once my dermatologist gets my skin cleared up, I might go back on it, but will be very mindful of the side effects."

RockFan September 13, 2017

"I've been taking this medication for almost 2 years now and still get headaches. My doctor just keeps upping the dose apparently it's suppose to be one of the best medications in headache/migraine prevention out there. I also take blood pressure medication as well, so taking this with a fairly high dose should take them away completely, correct? Not completely."

Gypsylady (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 9, 2017

"I was prescribed Topamax as a Migraine preventative and experienced just about every side effect. I started 25mg/day at night for 7 days, moved up to 75mg after 3 weeks and remained there. Within 48 hours I was didn't have a headache at all, but was experiencing side effects of tingling fingers, no appetite and change in taste of foods/carbonated beverages. I did have a hard time concentrating, I'd get confused and would randomly slur words. I weighted 120-ish when I started and within a few months, was 110 or less. I did work out and noticed no matter how hard I pushed, I didn't sweat and randomly got dizzy. Side effects are no joke, but you adjust after a few weeks."

ChubbyMoMo (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 27, 2017

"Reluctantly started due to reviews to prevent migraines and clear up severe blurry vision...50mg...caused facial tightness, made headaches worse, tiredness, slowness, about to think ok, bouts of tingling, vision somewhat cleared, will be reducing dose to 25mg...we will see how this works out"

Marich (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2017

"I'm writing about my 18 year old daughter who is currently on Topamax. She has suffered from migraines since she was about 12 years old. They would take her out for 2-3 days each, occurring anywhere from 2-6 times a month. When she was first given Topamax we thought it was the greatest medication ever. Problem solved, she felt that the tingling fingers, and face as well as the flat soda taste was well worth not suffering from migraines. HOWEVER - and I can not stress this enough as she increased her dose, she exhibited personality changes. She became depressed and overall just wasn't herself. Thankfully we recognized this and are working with her Dr. to back off the Topamax. We will be looking into other options. Not worth it!"

Jen71 July 20, 2017

"Medicine works, but my hair is falling out after being on 100 mg day for 6 months"

Nelly99 July 8, 2017

"Worst medication EVER. I couldn't form simple thoughts together. Couldn't complete tasks. Migraines got worse. That was at 100/mg. 200mg was twice as bad. Neuro told me I could quit taking it cold turkey. He's a flipping moron. I sunk into a deep depression with high anxiety after tapering dose down. This medication needs to be banned."

Dumbbumb (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2017

"I had a horrible experience on this medication back in 2005/2006. I started on a low dose of 25 mg/day and had severe nausea, diarrhea, dizziness, fatigue, confusion and memory impairment. Worked up to 50 mg 2xday, and the nausea/diarrhea eventually abated but the dizziness, fatigue, confusion and memory problems continued and I developed a bad tremor in my hands - I was dropping everything, couldn’t write legibly, and spilled food constantly. And I still had 10-15 debilitating migraines a month. Had to wean off it but 10+ years later I STILL HAVE MILD HAND TREMORS. Worst medication experience of my life."

WKB June 9, 2017

"I used to be on this when it was brand-name, and now I'm on it as a generic. I've found pros and cons with each. With the brand name, I felt like it worked better, but it gave me horrible problems with confusion. I would drive home from work and sometimes not even remember the drive home. I felt completely drugged. When the generic came out, I was switched to it. It didn't make me loopy like the brand name did, but I didn't think it worked as well either. I get more migraines on it by a lot than I got on brand name Topamax and I think I'm on the highest dose. I take one 200 mg pill in the morning and one 200 mg pill at night."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 20, 2017

"When I first went on Topamax, I thought it was a miracle. I had just been diagnosed withIdiopathic Intracranial Hypertension (IIH) after 9 months of what we had previously thought was a constant migraine. Topamax was the first drug that really made a dent in the pain. However the side effects were... a lot. -at first I could barely eat (for about a month) -the brain fog slowly took me over, turning me into a zombie -the tingling was never just my hands and feet, but my arms, legs, face, and back as well. -I had vision issues, including always seeing a circle in the middle of my vision, eyes opened or closed -I had hallucinations whenever I woke up in the dark Worst of all, the drugs would help for a week or two, then the pain would come back until I increased the dose."

LindsayMcD (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 16, 2017

"The drug would get a 10 as it worked miraculously for me. In my case -- and this probably won't happen to you -- the medication caused me kidney stones, the first of which was agonizing and led me to stop using the medication. Then the headaches resumed. I was willing to take an occasional Kidney Stone attack as a tradeoff for frequent migraine so I went back on the drug knowing the risks. Unfortunately, I peed gravel constantly, oddly without pain, but it was a warning. I'm now off the drug. If it did not cause me that side effect, I would have remained on the medication as it was, again, close to 100 percent effective. Not everyone responds the same way; your experience will probably be different."

Mark B. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 6, 2017

"I've been taking this med for almost 10 yrs now. I started when I was 18 it was the first drug my Dr tried...I am almost 28 and I am so upset looking back that I didn't ask more q's or realize that this was the issue. I started at a min dose but I was eventually up to 300mg/day. I thought nothing of this because if the Dr wasn't worried, why should I be? I had been to 3 different Dr that never asked me if at that dose I was having memory problems, etc. I don't remember anyone telling me the major side effect was memory problems, brain fog, etc no kids... I went through college thinking there was something wrong with me My new Dr has put me on something else that is safe if my husband and I get pregnant. She also was in shock that for migraine prevention I was taking such a big dose."

Bella521 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 2, 2017

"5/1/2017 - I was on Bystolic for BP treatment and it caused me to gain 30lbs. I suspect the high blood pressure was due to use of e-cigarette. I put the e-cig and the bystolic down!! Dr. put me on Topamax 100mg and Wellbuterin 300mg help with the headaches and weight loss. As I ramped up from 25mg to 50mg of Topamax I noticed significant changes in my behavior as did others. I cried continuously and at the most ridiculous things. I was short tempered and wanted to be left alone (to cry). Side notes..it made my face feel numb, carbonated drinks tasted funny, vision was funky and did zero for weightloss. As a mom of 4, I can't continue this medication. 30-40lb weight loss is not worth living this way. "

BusyMomof4 May 1, 2017

"Now in my late 50's, I have been a lifelong migraine sufferer. My new neurologist recommended Topamax (FDA approved for migraine therapy). I am going on week 3 with promising results...for the first time in years I am waking up to no headaches and am not getting headaches as the day wears on. I'm sleeping better. I am experiencing a slight problem with focus/concentration but am told that this side effect should subside over time. Providing the side effects are minimal and non-intrusive, I can see staying on this medication-I'm hopeful."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2017

"ONLY 25mg/day 2nd try. Lasted 3 days. Whoa just whoa! Within 1 hour my pain lessened but side effects were already producing. First my vision got really distorted. I couldn't focus on command at all. Then my bottom lip wouldn't stop tingling with a numb feeling. I got extremely dizzy, felt out of it. So I thought let me lay down. Feel asleep 15 min.. Woke up thought an hour passed was completely out of it. Whole left side of face felt palsy completely numb. Tingling/numbness arms, hands, legs + feet. Next day visual less but symptoms still there. Then the suicidal thoughts and worthlessness came. I made it one more day. Missed a day. And took following day. I can't do anything on it. Comatosed n psychiatric mind games. DONE!! I'm better w/o it"

Dest1979 (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2017

"I was diagnosed with vestibular migraines in 2010 and I had severe 24/7 vertigo. I always had "regular" migraines since I was a teen, but after an infection of the inner ear in 2010, my migraines changed and I had both pain and vertigo. For one year I had constant vertigo and I honestly thought I would become housebound. I could not go to theatres, malls, stores, or any areas with lots of people because crowds would make me dizzy. My work was in jeopardy. I tried Topamax and it gave me my life back. The initial side effects were awful but my body slowly adjusted to them. Eventually, the dizziness went away. I now take 225 mg daily. I have some word finding and concentration problems but that sure beats 24/7 vertigo."

Scarlettsun (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 11, 2017