User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Topamax Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 58 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Topamax to treat Migraine Prevention

"I got put on Topamax about 3 years ago, I felt it wasn't helping with my migraines so I took myself off. Then I had a seizure because I didn't have it. So I started back on it and had no luck with migraines. I quit taking it again and more seizures. Ever since I've been on it I have had seizures and they are not in my family at all."

KaylaMichelle January 6, 2017

"Have taken 10mg Topamax for 4 months, I thought I had found a preventative but after 3 months my hair was shedding more then usual. Thought I was stressed out and overwhelmed with small kiddos and hubby deployed, my dermatologist didn't see anything very serious, like alopecia, so I continued. I began taking biotin and vitamins, but hair still kept coming out and scalp was starting to show more. I stopped completely and only lasted 4 days before a migraine wanted to come on. Luckily I took a rizatriptan in time to fight it off. Topamax worked beside the side effects of hair loss, forgetfulness, some leg cramps. Has anyone had any luck with another migraine preventative?"

Dmp1 January 2, 2017

"I loved this medication until it gave me stroke like side effects. The side effects kept getting worst to the point where I couldn't stand up, grasp anything, I talked funny and even messed with my throat to the point of chocking. It is a very dangerous drug with crazy side effects, not worth it. I did loose weight about 15 pounds, because I was never hungry while taking it."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 21, 2016

"I have only been on it for about 6 days and already seen a incredible difference. I had a headache everyday for a year and a half and got bad migraine about 2-3 times a week. I have not had a migraine yet and my everyday headache has calm down. When I first started it did make me very drowsy but that went away as I got use to it"

allison82802 December 15, 2016

"Been on this for just a week now at 25 mg also on 50 mg of amitriptalyne of a night. The first few days I felt really spaced out, but sort of kept coming in waves through the day. I also suffer from m.e as well but have found the past few days I have had lots of energy. I don't feel tired at all. Supposed to up dose to 50 mgs on second week, but I'm thinking may stick to the 25 for a little while to see how things go. No migraines up to now. Reading all the reviews most of the side effects seem to come when the dose is increased. Really worried about the hair loss business, don't think I could deal with that one . Think I'm going to give this a go for a few months and see how things go, it's all trial and error, or kill or cure."

Krissies November 21, 2016

"I have been taking 75mg topamax one a day for about 10 years now. I have gone as far as taking 100mg until I started not being able to get the words out that I was thinking of. That side effect has not completely gone away but is better. When I first started I did have the tingling in my hands and feet but it was no more than like having carpal tunnel, I also have the weird taste where soda tasted flat and tomatos tastes weird. I did loose a little weight. The tingeling went away, I adjusted to just not drinking soda. And tomatos started to taste fine. I also take Sumatriptan for when I still do get a headache. However the headaches are much fewer and further beteeen. I will get a cluster of them about every six mths but still better."

Jenn K November 15, 2016

"I started out at 75mg, had to decrease at first because it made me super emotional and had really bad tingling in hands/feet, so I ended up going back down to 50mg, then I slowly increased by 25mg until I got up to 100mg and I'm doing OK now. I do feel emotionally sensitive at times and do get occasional tingling in my fingers and toes if I don't eat for awhile, which the Topamax also decreases my appetite and I have lost weight on. I still have ocular migraines if I stay up too late or don't get enough sleep. If I have even a small glass of wine the evening before I will wake up with an awful migraine the next morning, so I see why they say not to drink while on the medication. Overall it has really significantly decreased migraines."

Calantha November 5, 2016

"Had migraines for 7 years. Take Fioricet for pain, which works well, but I wanted to try prevention. My doctor had already tried Gabapentin, Sumatriptan, and Propranolol, all of which had side effects but did nothing for migraines. Next came Topamax. Side effects were: Slight change of taste (sodas tasted flat, bread tasted sweeter), and gradual loss of memory and concentration, such that it was hard to read or study an issue at work and be able to understand it. It did not affect my eating habits or energy levels, did not affect my weight at all. It also did nothing for my migraines. It severely impeded my ability to think and thus my ability to work in the tech field, so I stopped taking it, and my work performance improved drastically."

Berander (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2016

"I began taking 25 mg of topamax once daily due to my migraines lingering 2-3 days at a time. Topamax did a NUMBER on my body. I completely stopped eating. Every time I tried to eat I took ONE BITE and would gag. I felt so extremely full constantly eventhough I knew I had not eaten. Topamax completely destroyed my appetite and although I've been off of the medication for 6 months I still never crave ANYthing. I eat when I'm hungry but I no longer have any cravings. While taking this medication I lost a lot of my memory. I was constantly hazy or confused and I felt like I was always searching for my task. I became malnourished and confused that I quit taking the medicine completely. I would never recommend this medication bc of side effects!"

Jaurdin (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2016

"I've only been on this medication for 2 weeks now but it has changed my life. I have lived with chronic migraines since my entire life..since I was 18 months old. I have lived with daily headaches and almost daily migraines for the past 10 years and it has taken over my life. Since starting Topamax, I have had 2-3 manageable headaches and I have my life back! It has even taken away chronic fibromyalgia and arthritis pain, given me back my ability to sleep soundly for hours at a time, and has gotten me out of a daily triptan habit that almost caused a stroke a few weeks ago. The side effects (brain fog, drowsiness, etc) are nothing new for me given I have fibromyalgia. A life without pain is worth it to me! What a miracle!!"

paper mate (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2016

"I have had intractable migraine for 28 years, and migraines from the age of 10 until 28 years ago when it never quit.. I went through many different trials of treatment & nothing worked, so finally the headache specialist gave me Vicodin. It worked and I was able to begin living life again. Then a new MD took the Vicodin away and gave me Topamax. MY LIFE WAS HELL. I live alone in a 2 story house and I had to scoot up/down on my butt. I am 66 & disabled (from strokes) and I was terrified. I could barely form sentences, I had terrible brain fog, I couldn't cook a meal as I was so confused I kept burning things. It was horrible. The doc told me to keep taking it but I refused, I felt the side effects were too dangerous for me."

Gama2Mac (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2016

"This has been a life saver for me as far as migraines go. At first I had a few of the side effects, brain fog, forgetfulness, but that went away after a month or so. Without this drug, I get at least 2-3 headaches a week ranging from dull to severe. I rarely have a migraine while on it."

Sarabeth73 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 18, 2016

"Worst night of my life. I made the mistake of not looking at reviews until I had just popped the pill. I felt like a zombie. I couldn't think or formulate sentences. My body felt like I had needles all over. My legs wouldn't stop shaking. I couldn't see. I cried until I fell asleep and continued to have side effects the next day. I cannot believe they sell this medication. By far the worst experience of my life. I do not recommend this drug to anyone and sincerely recommend anyone considering this drug to not take it."

kmw0795 (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2016

"For the first time in my life (I'm 76 years old) I am migraine free!!! It has been 5 years since I started taking Topamax and I have had only one migraine. I used to have at least one migraine a week and sometimes more since I was a small child complaining about the corner of my head hurt. I would have major pain, vomiting and and have to go to bed in a dark cool room."

Little sister October 11, 2016

"I've been in this medication for 3 weeks .At first the effects were unbearable ; brain fog, memory loss , loss for words , sleepingall day . I'm going on my 3rd week and almost all side effects subsided . I still find myself at loss of words sometimes . I started at 121lbs I'm now at 116 and still losing . I find myself never wanting to eat . Soda taste flat . I don't mind . I like the medicine . I take 50mg morning 50mg night prn."

Ccg77777 (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2016

"I've been on Topamax for probably at least 15 years, 400 mg daily. I'm get debilating migraines. After reading these reviews I guess I am one of the lucky ones as I have not received one side effect. I take it at night. If the migrane is really bad I add one pill of Relpax and that does the job."

Helped (taken for 10 years or more) September 26, 2016

"Most fantastic feeling to FINALLY be headache and seizure free. But was scratching myself bloody at night. Allergic to the initial weaning on dose(about 1/4 of aimed for dose), blurred vision..had to be taken off. Can't even attempt a trial again. Want to, but apparently risks are too great. Without the allergic reaction, I'd call it heaven sent."

Almost why bother (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2016

"I've had migraines since I was 25 (am now 68) and my life was hell until I discovered Topomax 18 months ago. I must be one of the lucky ones because I didn't have any horrible side effects, just some mild finger tingling. I lost a little appetite but made no difference (I'm slim anyway and probably lost 5 pounds), otherwise... it has been a miracle!! I started with 25mg, increased to 50, then to 100, didn't like it, went back to 50 and am now on 25 again and feel great. Sometimes I also take the generic and have no problem at all."

Bezota September 20, 2016

"I'm 16 years old and I've had migraines since I was 2 years old. I was on topamax for a month and already started feeling stupid, constantly drowsy, depressed, I couldn't remember what i had done a day ago. Being 16 and still in high school, this was a problem. I ended up having an allergic relationship to the mediation two weeks after taking it. It had felt like I was about to die. I thought I had taken some kind of horrible drug that was about to kill me. I had rapid heart beat, slurring speak, deplayed responses, I was mentally not there, my vision was messed up, and much more. Worst med ever."

Emilyyy1999 September 18, 2016

"I'm still new to this medicine but i'm still on it. I'm still in high school so I get migraines due to stress a lot. Every morning I'm starting to wake up super early ready to go and super hyper. So hyper that i'm shaking like crazy to the point it looks like i have a tremor. I'm more outgoing on this medication. I am losing little bit of my hair but i'm okay with it. at least i don't have migraines."

Sarah2434653214 September 13, 2016

"This drug isn't for everyone. The side effects are completely crazy. I have been on it for almost 12 months now. It has provided relief from migraines by almost 95% of the time. This has been a big deal for me. Side effects I've experienced: hands and feet tingle periodically (some days are worse than others), hair loss started 3 months after taking it but began to cease 6 months later, definite brain fog (some days I feel like I'm losing my mind), grogginess (I can only take my dose at night otherwise I'm a zombie during the day), changes in vision, loss of appetite, fatigue, irritability. At first I convinced myself the side effects were worth tolerating compared to having a migraine. But as time goes on, I'm beginning to think im wrong"

Juarek (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 11, 2016

"This is my first time taking them I already feel the tingling in my face hands and feet. This is a scary feeling and just by reading the reviews I'm already thinking of not continuing this medication, I'm all for weight loss but hair loss and memory loss OMG that's to much, I just want to feel better I've been battling migraine headaches since middle school and now I'm 33 something has to give."

Lrd23 September 2, 2016

"have been researching and researching for so many years and I have to say that Topamax saved my life. I am currently 23 years old, and I started having these migraines when I was 15. I didn't know that this would be a lifelong thing that would eventually lead me to be on daily medication. The frequency that I would get them,would be more than six times a month. Anyway, I went on propannalol? (Beta blocker), NO SUCESS. & then doctors prescribed me topamax. I didn't have any side effects. At all. No tingling. Nothing. And GUESS WHAT, I didn't have a migraine for 3 years!!!! NOT ONE. but I got off of it, thinking they were "gone" & now I'm suffering with new hormonal migraines. Going back on topamax & hoping for same results!!!!"

Over migraines (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 29, 2016

"i have been on topamax for a little over 6 years. I started at 25 mg. and slowly went up to 250 mg. I experienced the weight loss, tingling and the other minimal side effects at the lower dose but was encouraged to stay on the meds. As i increased the dose, i started having hair loss, dizziness and "white outs" where i would not be able to see at all for up to 20-30 seconds at a time. I also started having the memory issues. I started seeing a new neuro and we dropped me down to 100 mg. The hair loss stopped but I still get the vertigo. I am now down to 50 mg. I suffer from eye pain in my left eye and still the random dizziness- which is horrible. Weaning off of this - I do Botox injections now for preventative with some relief"

just hurts (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 23, 2016

"A very dangerous medication. I was prescribed it for headaches. Many side effects were problems I was already having. I told my doctor about I, and so did my wife on many occasions. The doctor said keep taking it, the good out ways the bad. And if I don't take it. They will not try a new.medication,or see me again. So I tried it for 21 days. Hallucination, didn't no if I was awake or dreaming. Many bad things. Then out of know where. I shot myself under the chin. Some how I survived. After coming out of coma and many surgeries. I did more study on the medicine. I'm 46. In the testing of this drug. 31% of all males between 41 & 49 committed suicide on it. That's one in three males. All within the first 30 days. So I was failed by my the docs"

Ckaz (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016