User Reviews for Topamax

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Topamax.

Topamax Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Topamax to treat Migraine Prevention

"I've been on Topamax since 2010. I started taking 50 mg but I was given the generic and had a really bad allergic reaction to it. My skin broke out and I had to see a dermatologist. I was eventually given Topamax (the brand name) and I no longer had the allergic reaction. The 50 mg wasn't strong enough and eventually I ramped up to 200 mg. I had weight loss in the beginning (close to 90 lbs, which I could afford). I've gained about 20 of it back but I've not lost any since. I do feel that I get somewhat spacey and suffer from some memory loss. I've asked my doctor if I can come off of the medication beginning next year. I've been on it too long and I am concerned with the memory side effects."

gdhouston (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First of all I have suffered with headaches all my life and at 52 they seem to be getting worse. I found out I have hypothyroidism and the weight gain is horrible. I’ve gained 15 lbs. My doctor prescribed me Topamax at 25mg still having headaches she changed the dosage to 50mg at twice a day. The first day I took one in the morning and one at evening the next morning I woke up with a severe headache... Could it be from the dr changing my dosage on Topamax?"

Kittycatz (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started having daily headaches that turned into a severe migraine as the day progressed. Eventually I would end up lying in bed, in the dark, with no noise, unable to sleep, vomiting from the pain. I was terrified it was my new normal. This was the 1st medication my D.O. prescribed. 25mg for a month. 1st week no headaches. Then they slowly returned but would start a little later in the day. I take 50mg twice a day with 40mg twice a day of propanolol for prevention and it works unless I do a lot of crying. Then I take Fioricet."

aeralynlayla (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"At first I did not like it at all - I started off on 50mg (recommended) and found it wasn't working. I also was super spaced out, unfocused and constantly feeling like my brain was going but my body wasn't (It was WEIRD). This went on for about a week, then it worked perfectly and I was completely normal. However the migraines started coming back so I am now on 100mg a day and the same thing happened when I upped the dosage. It's working now though! I didn't notice any difference in tasting things but I did get tingles in my fingers and toes! Otherwise all round amazing medicine!!"

Ali Sch September 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had migraines that lasted up to nine days. My neurologist started me on 25mg Topamax and the frequency dropped off immediately. I actually loved the way I felt on Topamax. I had boundless energy, no appetite, and was always in a good mood. After two years, I decided to stop taking it because my skin was breaking out and I think I felt a little too confident in myself. I drove a little faster, said really odd things to people (no filter) and seemed to be turning into a show off about how skinny I was. Not my best personality! I stopped taking it and didn't gain any weight, but the headaches are back. Once my dermatologist gets my skin cleared up, I might go back on it, but will be very mindful of the side effects."

RockFan September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking this medication for almost 2 years now and still get headaches. My doctor just keeps upping the dose apparently it's suppose to be one of the best medications in headache/migraine prevention out there. I also take blood pressure medication as well, so taking this with a fairly high dose should take them away completely, correct? Not completely."

Gypsylady (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Topamax as a Migraine preventative and experienced just about every side effect. I started 25mg/day at night for 7 days, moved up to 75mg after 3 weeks and remained there. Within 48 hours I was didn't have a headache at all, but was experiencing side effects of tingling fingers, no appetite and change in taste of foods/carbonated beverages. I did have a hard time concentrating, I'd get confused and would randomly slur words. I weighted 120-ish when I started and within a few months, was 110 or less. I did work out and noticed no matter how hard I pushed, I didn't sweat and randomly got dizzy. Side effects are no joke, but you adjust after a few weeks."

ChubbyMoMo (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Reluctantly started due to reviews to prevent migraines and clear up severe blurry vision...50mg...caused facial tightness, made headaches worse, tiredness, slowness, about to think ok, bouts of tingling, vision somewhat cleared, will be reducing dose to 25mg...we will see how this works out"

Marich (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm writing about my 18 year old daughter who is currently on Topamax. She has suffered from migraines since she was about 12 years old. They would take her out for 2-3 days each, occurring anywhere from 2-6 times a month. When she was first given Topamax we thought it was the greatest medication ever. Problem solved, she felt that the tingling fingers, and face as well as the flat soda taste was well worth not suffering from migraines. HOWEVER - and I can not stress this enough as she increased her dose, she exhibited personality changes. She became depressed and overall just wasn't herself. Thankfully we recognized this and are working with her Dr. to back off the Topamax. We will be looking into other options. Not worth it!"

Jen71 July 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Medicine works, but my hair is falling out after being on 100 mg day for 6 months"

Nelly99 July 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worst medication EVER. I couldn't form simple thoughts together. Couldn't complete tasks. Migraines got worse. That was at 100/mg. 200mg was twice as bad. Neuro told me I could quit taking it cold turkey. He's a flipping moron. I sunk into a deep depression with high anxiety after tapering dose down. This medication needs to be banned."

Dumbbumb (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a horrible experience on this medication back in 2005/2006. I started on a low dose of 25 mg/day and had severe nausea, diarrhea, dizziness, fatigue, confusion and memory impairment. Worked up to 50 mg 2xday, and the nausea/diarrhea eventually abated but the dizziness, fatigue, confusion and memory problems continued and I developed a bad tremor in my hands - I was dropping everything, couldn’t write legibly, and spilled food constantly. And I still had 10-15 debilitating migraines a month. Had to wean off it but 10+ years later I STILL HAVE MILD HAND TREMORS. Worst medication experience of my life."

WKB June 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used to be on this when it was brand-name, and now I'm on it as a generic. I've found pros and cons with each. With the brand name, I felt like it worked better, but it gave me horrible problems with confusion. I would drive home from work and sometimes not even remember the drive home. I felt completely drugged. When the generic came out, I was switched to it. It didn't make me loopy like the brand name did, but I didn't think it worked as well either. I get more migraines on it by a lot than I got on brand name Topamax and I think I'm on the highest dose. I take one 200 mg pill in the morning and one 200 mg pill at night."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I first went on Topamax, I thought it was a miracle. I had just been diagnosed withIdiopathic Intracranial Hypertension (IIH) after 9 months of what we had previously thought was a constant migraine. Topamax was the first drug that really made a dent in the pain. However the side effects were... a lot. -at first I could barely eat (for about a month) -the brain fog slowly took me over, turning me into a zombie -the tingling was never just my hands and feet, but my arms, legs, face, and back as well. -I had vision issues, including always seeing a circle in the middle of my vision, eyes opened or closed -I had hallucinations whenever I woke up in the dark Worst of all, the drugs would help for a week or two, then the pain would come back until I increased the dose."

LindsayMcD (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The drug would get a 10 as it worked miraculously for me. In my case -- and this probably won't happen to you -- the medication caused me kidney stones, the first of which was agonizing and led me to stop using the medication. Then the headaches resumed. I was willing to take an occasional Kidney Stone attack as a tradeoff for frequent migraine so I went back on the drug knowing the risks. Unfortunately, I peed gravel constantly, oddly without pain, but it was a warning. I'm now off the drug. If it did not cause me that side effect, I would have remained on the medication as it was, again, close to 100 percent effective. Not everyone responds the same way; your experience will probably be different."

Mark B. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking this med for almost 10 yrs now. I started when I was 18 it was the first drug my Dr tried...I am almost 28 and I am so upset looking back that I didn't ask more q's or realize that this was the issue. I started at a min dose but I was eventually up to 300mg/day. I thought nothing of this because if the Dr wasn't worried, why should I be? I had been to 3 different Dr that never asked me if at that dose I was having memory problems, etc. I don't remember anyone telling me the major side effect was memory problems, brain fog, etc no kids... I went through college thinking there was something wrong with me My new Dr has put me on something else that is safe if my husband and I get pregnant. She also was in shock that for migraine prevention I was taking such a big dose."

Bella521 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"5/1/2017 - I was on Bystolic for BP treatment and it caused me to gain 30lbs. I suspect the high blood pressure was due to use of e-cigarette. I put the e-cig and the bystolic down!! Dr. put me on Topamax 100mg and Wellbuterin 300mg help with the headaches and weight loss. As I ramped up from 25mg to 50mg of Topamax I noticed significant changes in my behavior as did others. I cried continuously and at the most ridiculous things. I was short tempered and wanted to be left alone (to cry). Side notes..it made my face feel numb, carbonated drinks tasted funny, vision was funky and did zero for weightloss. As a mom of 4, I can't continue this medication. 30-40lb weight loss is not worth living this way. "

BusyMomof4 May 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Now in my late 50's, I have been a lifelong migraine sufferer. My new neurologist recommended Topamax (FDA approved for migraine therapy). I am going on week 3 with promising results...for the first time in years I am waking up to no headaches and am not getting headaches as the day wears on. I'm sleeping better. I am experiencing a slight problem with focus/concentration but am told that this side effect should subside over time. Providing the side effects are minimal and non-intrusive, I can see staying on this medication-I'm hopeful."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"ONLY 25mg/day 2nd try. Lasted 3 days. Whoa just whoa! Within 1 hour my pain lessened but side effects were already producing. First my vision got really distorted. I couldn't focus on command at all. Then my bottom lip wouldn't stop tingling with a numb feeling. I got extremely dizzy, felt out of it. So I thought let me lay down. Feel asleep 15 min.. Woke up thought an hour passed was completely out of it. Whole left side of face felt palsy completely numb. Tingling/numbness arms, hands, legs + feet. Next day visual less but symptoms still there. Then the suicidal thoughts and worthlessness came. I made it one more day. Missed a day. And took following day. I can't do anything on it. Comatosed n psychiatric mind games. DONE!! I'm better w/o it"

Dest1979 (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with vestibular migraines in 2010 and I had severe 24/7 vertigo. I always had "regular" migraines since I was a teen, but after an infection of the inner ear in 2010, my migraines changed and I had both pain and vertigo. For one year I had constant vertigo and I honestly thought I would become housebound. I could not go to theatres, malls, stores, or any areas with lots of people because crowds would make me dizzy. My work was in jeopardy. I tried Topamax and it gave me my life back. The initial side effects were awful but my body slowly adjusted to them. Eventually, the dizziness went away. I now take 225 mg daily. I have some word finding and concentration problems but that sure beats 24/7 vertigo."

Scarlettsun (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"To be honest, I can't tell you if it helped with the prevention of migraines or not. I have had chronic migraines for 15 years now. They are accompanied by loss of feeling in my hands, aura, and sometimes my words come out as gibberish. I have tried just about everything from medications to natural remedies for my migraines. When my new neurologist suggested I take Topamax I thought that I would finally be rid of my migraines. I didn't even last a week on this medication though. I couldn't stand for more than thirty seconds without being dizzy and having shortness of breath. My stomach ached and I had a tingling sensation in my hands. I also had a slight fever. My doctor wanted to attribute all of these things to the start of a cold."

Kellight March 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had migraines since my first son was born nearly 27 years ago. They had become more and more frequent....almost daily. I was using the maximum amount of Maxalt that my insurance would allow. I asked my doctor for a prophylactic medication for migraines. I am now up to 100 mg of Topiramate 2 X daily. Yes there are some side effects. I have some tingling in my hands, sometimes my mouth is dry, if I don't have to work or don't have a lot planned I feel tired and lazy. I crave less sweets/ food in general...sometimes feel a little nauseated. I was losing weight (20 lbs) before starting the medication and continued after. I have stabilized at a 40lb weightloss. No other side effects. Restless legs are gone. Better sleep."

Ljray (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was on topamax 200mg 2x day for eight years. It cut back on my daily migraines. Went down to about 2-3x week. I lost 125 pounds in the first year I was on it. No appetite. Food tasted metallic, flat or just weird. I did get one kidney stone. After years of being on high dose, I started getting chest pain. My doctor took me off topamax about 7 years ago. I had bad withdrawals after weaning off, no seizures thankfully. Migraines have been daily again for last 18 months. Tried to go back on topamax but I can't tolerate it any more. After one 25mg tablet at bed time, I woke up with severe headache, dizziness and nausea. The next night I took one tablet and side effects were increased. I stopped. Side effects bad for two weeks. No thanks."

TosaTat (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Developed Aurora symptoms of migraine as part of diagnosis of fibromyalgia & chronic fatigue diagnosis as result of a car accident. Debilitating vertigo, light and noise sensitivity. Extreme cognitive disfunction and fatigue which were constant but the migraine came and went but would last for weeks. Eventually it just stayed and I felt like I was walking about drunk!! I was told there was nothing that could be done for me and this was part of my condition. I found topamax myself when I had reached the point where I had decided to end it all if this was it. Sad but true. Fortunately and happily I am a new women. My brain has been unscrambled! I can function again!No more hiding from the light or trying to remember why I started a sentence"

Áinej February 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug is horrible. Pros: yes, it destroys your appetite and you lose weight bc of that. You also don't enjoy food, which made me less inclined to want to cook for others (note: I am a foodie and love to cook). Cons: This drug did zero for my migraines. I take Amerge; works! I felt so foggy and "in and out" of ability the abilty to concentrate in the mornings (100mg nightly dosage). ok after 4 hrs. My mouth was literally so dry and my tongue so thick feeling, I could not get 3 syllable words out. Also, I had to grasp for words. I was losing confidence in my own performance and others commented on my lack of "snap." This was after a YEAR! Short term memory was shot, perhaps bc of "in and out" concentration. Hair! Had to get extensions!"

TMS2625 February 9, 2017