User Reviews for Topamax to treat Migraine Prevention

Topamax has an average rating of 6.0 out of 10 from a total of 334 ratings for the treatment of Migraine Prevention. 49% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 31% reported a negative effect.

Topamax Rating Summary

6.0/10 average rating

Compare all 58 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Topamax

Antonianana · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 10, 2021

“I have this for Cervicogenic headache. I had waves of lightheadedness the first week on this drug. Starting from the first day I took it. I also experienced tingling in my hands, but other than that the drug really worked well for me. The headaches disappeared and my head just felt much lighter. I didn't experience anything severe, nor loss of appetite, no changes in taste or concentration etc. After tapering down off of topamax; the constant headaches are back and I'm back to feeling miserable. I choose to quit because I don't like being dependent on such a potent drug and I don't want to eventually raise my dose because the drug has some scary potential side effects. Topamax is also dangerous in pregnancy and I'm worried about becoming pregnant unintentionally and having this drug in my system. But the drug itself was pretty great for me.”

Becca July 7, 2021

“I was given Topomax about 2 months ago for recurring migraines; it did nothing but make my life . It a living nightmare. I started with complete loss of appetite followed by extreme nausea. After that, the psychological effects started. I become extremely paranoid; The anxiety and paranoia got worse and worse the longer I was on Topamax which was soon accompanied by intense depression. Next came the hallucinations; I would see paintings moving on the walls, see colors and shapes moving across the floor, and I would hear voices multiple times a day. I fully regret ever taking this drug, I want my life back.”

TTony · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 3, 2021

“I have been taking Topamax 50mg daily for a while without real results. I recently upped the dosage to 100 daily and its really helping with migraines. I have cut my 10 to 12 migraines a month to about 5 or 6. I also reduced my caloric intake and sugar intake. I have reduced my processed food intake as well simultaneously while increasing exercise from moderate to moderately high. I don't know exactly what has worked or the combination, but something is working and I will not change anything!”

BRM · Taken for 10 years or more March 8, 2020

“On Topamax for 15 years for migraine prevention. Has changed my life. After trying so many things for years and having the quality of my life being severely impacted by migraine, this wonder drug has lessened the pain and nausea from a 9 to a 1.”

Partially blind January 16, 2020

“On Topamax and 6 years ago I had what I thought was a seizure and spots in my right eye. The spots NEVER went away. Other symptoms of this horrible drug-ITCHING, SEIZURES, HAIR LOSS, EXTREME HOT FLASHES, EXTREME WEIGHT LOSS, my doctor never, ever cared about any of it. I quit this awful drug in October, 2016. Had a minor stroke shortly after. Do not take this drug if you want to stay healthy and keep your eye sight. I filed a complaint with the FDA and of course they didn’t care either. This drug is a result of greedy drug companies and FDA being lobbied to allow such a destructive drug. Doctors don’t care either. They all just keep making their money while patients end up with permanent damage that CANNOT be fixed.”

Erin Gibson March 9, 2020

“Topamax ruined my life! Kaiser put me on it until my Psychologist said “get off of it if it’s not working” after I told her I had been on it for over a year! This medication caused tingling in my hands, feet ,face and caused me to see people’s faces in distorted ways like a horror film! My headaches are caused from a 2cm round tumor in my left temporal lobe near my cortex at the Hippicampos Hypathalamus, it causes light seizures and horrible right side brain headaches! Even though neurologists say it’s not connected, I know from reasearch it is connected and no one is helping me deal with the horrific debilitating headaches!So when Kaiser said “try Topamax”I said sure why not!I lost 2 years of my life with my son who was a jr in highschool, it’s a miracle my husband of 25 years stayed married to me ! Topamax ruined 2 years of my life ”

Dancer · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 23, 2019

“So far so good! No migraines! No more vomiting! I am losing weight! The best part is I am sleeping where as before the insomnia was truly the worst. I pray all this continues. I have had no side effects at all”

Ladybug November 12, 2019

“I am 24 years old and I've had terrible migraine headaches since I was in high school. I've been on Topamax for 3 months and only taking 50mg a day since it can lessen the effect of my birth control and I don't want to highten the side affects. This has also been good enough to where I'm not getting migraine/tension headaches everyday like I used to (it was making my life miserable). I get them sometimes once a week now. My side effects from Topamax are I used to have some hand/feet tingling but it went away after I got used to the medication, it does make soda does taste flat, and I sometimes I forget words - but it's kind of how I am anyway. So far this has worked well for me and hasn't caused me any problems.”

Bojomom March 16, 2014

“I'm 50 yrs old and have suffered from Migraines since I was about 12 years old. Too long! I've taken every medicine possible for prevention or cure with little or no relief. Too many trips to the ER for shots...the only real fix; then back home in a dark room for much needed sleep. When my Internist suggested Topamax, I jumped at the opportunity. Boy, I'm happy that I did. Yes, I had the initial side effects, lost 35 lbs originally (gained 10 back), have tingling in my fingers & toes but only in the winter when I'm cold. Very manageable. I don't drink pop, but tried one WOW...it was flat. I do struggle with words at times, but still manageable. My 3/week migraines now down to 1/month are generally managed with Excedrin Migraine. A ”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2020

“Had chronic migraines and was prescribed this medication. At first I had no migraines or headaches but then it got worse. I urge you to not take this medication If you have an alternative. It created a barrier in my conversations. I couldn’t comprehend what people were saying, had trouble creating responses and felt like I was drugged up all the time.”

Little Miss Head Ache · Taken for less than 1 month February 17, 2020

“Having thought I was suffering from every ailment under the sun, I discovered it was actually side effects of these tablets. Breast pain, confusion, exhaustion, tingling sensation in finger's and feet, inability to string a sentence together, irritability, anxiety, depression, shortness of breath, heavy limbs. Unfortunately, I am clearly not suited to these tablets. Although, on a positive note, they have stopped my migraine's. I'm currently weaning myself off of them, from 75mg, 25mg... I've just been prescribed some High Strength B2, to start at 200mg per day, to increase to 400mg. In the light of these not suiting me, next will be Amitripyline.”

meshe April 16, 2021

“I suffer from Migraines and peri menopause and started to suffer those extra pounds that just want come off and with migraines so hard to work out and go for walks and work out to get off the extra pound that pre menopause woman suffer from. I am 5'3 and always weight 120-125 and now weigh 140. Since I started on Topamax on February Dr put me on 25mg per day for 2 week, then increased it to 2x a day 3rd week. Now its April 16 and weigh in - 125 back to my original weight. I feel back to normal. I have so much energy. I would say the only side effect I have is that I feel colder - my hands are cold and I'm more thirsty, again which is ok because I drink more water which is good because before I never drank water now I do. My Migraines are hindered and I feel alive-”

Piggy · Taken for less than 1 month April 28, 2019

“I was prescribed Topamax for migraines. At first it was amazing, my migraines stopped. But as my dose increased, I began having loss of memory, confusion, and severe panic attacks. These problems persisted for a whole year after stopping the drug. One plus—I have not had a migraine since. This drug changes your brain chemistry. Be really careful.”

6754bon · Taken for 10 years or more May 19, 2016

“I've been taking topamax for over 10 years. At first I lost 30 pounds. YIKES ! I stabilized and gained back some weight to a good weight for me. A few times I've had tingling in my fingers that lasted avery short duration. I 've been a chronic migraine sufferer for over 30 years. Started at 20 and I'll be 54 soon. Like many...I 've been to many Dr's and tried too many meds. This was the only thing that worked. Thankfully, for me, the side effects were minimal. Just because you have one bad experience, don't suffer. Find something. Meditation. ..something. You deserve a better life. We wouldn't be on this board if we didn't want to discourage or encourage someone else. Keep trying to live pain free.”

KD · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 17, 2019

“I was put on Topamax (Brand name) in 2007 as I was having migraine headaches 5 and 6 times a month at a minimum (not just bothersome "headaches" but full on pain with severe vomiting and preventing me from going to work). At the time my insurance covered it and my copay was $10 a month. The only bad side effect I experienced was the tingling in my feet (sometimes severe) but it was worth it considering I went down to 1 migraine the first year I was on it. I called it my miracle drug (and I lost 30lbs!) It gave me life back.. and then it came off the insurance company's formulary and went from $10 to $60 a month. As a newly divorced mom I was unable to afford that but I was able to move to the generic Topiramate - which only became a nightmare and I now have lifelong issues (separate review for it).”

Halbaley · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 19, 2019

“On this medication to prevent migraines. It works like a charm. I had migraines almost daily and now I only have them the day before my period starts. I have not had the weight loss side effect people talk about though.”

Aunt T · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 8, 2019

“I have been through so much with this medicine !! I ended up dizzy, confused, very irritable, pain behind my eyes so bad it would give me headaches every day. I was scared to death to drive as my perception was off, so bad sometimes it was like the road was moving not my car. I had memory loss and couldn't say things right or even do deposits at work, I felt as if my brain was trying to come out of my skull. On this I had to go to gyno because had abnormal periods and neurologist because of my head!! I too had breast , arm and leg pain to the point of couldn't wash my hair or get ready . My legs were so bad I couldn't make it up the stairs! My husband was scared I was scared I was losing my mind and had something major wrong with me. This medicine wreaks havoc on your body and brain and eyes !!! NIGHTMARE DRUG....... I stopped it 3 days ago and getting better already... I'm 42 and a healthy person or was!!”

Michal September 11, 2019

“Been on Topamax quite a few weeks now, to help my migraines. At 50mg my it wasn't doing anything additional for my migraines that my low histamine diet wasn't already doing, but it did wonders for my brain fog and energy! Very pleased! A few word- finding problems but I can sit and read a whole book now and remember what I read. Last week I went up to 100mg and sadly it has begun giving me daily migraines. Not bad ones but it's not a good sign. I will be dropping it back down to 50mg for a week or two and if they resolve I will try again to confirm if the higher dose is the issue. As advice: don't listen to the scaremongering on here and take the miracles with a grain of salt. It IS approved for migraine, it's not an off label use.”

Sweet-P · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 4, 2012

“Began Topamax in 2005 after suffering from migraines that would last for weeks. The litany of side effects is true, and its nickname, "Stupamax" is honestly earned. Word recall, memory, trouble focusing, hand numbness, fatigue, insomnia, the works. But number of days with headaches went from 21 to 9 the very first month. Now, after years of taking it, my body has been depleted of vitamin B12, and I have been suffering from horrible GI troubles. However, none of my doctors seemed to link Topamax to the B12 depletion. It took Google to figure that one out. But thank you to Google and B12 supplements. I hope this helps someone else relieve any issues they've been experiencing. ”

Nomoreforme November 10, 2014

“I started taking Topamax about 3 years ago. Began at 25mg a day for a week. The second week I was supposed to move up to 50, the third week 2 75mg and then finally to 100mg on the fourth week. I never really had to move past 25mg. My migraines all but stopped after a month of being on the medication and at the lowest dose. I had all the side effects - tingling, weight loss (very happy about it too), forgetting certain words and the nasty taste of soda. That was okay because I only drink it very rarely anyway. I was getting 1-2 migraines a week and now, I may have 1-2 a year. Most of the side effect seemed to have faded with time as well. Very, very pleased with this medication.”

Emi93 · Taken for less than 1 month October 12, 2018

“After trying everything and failing to get my migraines under control, I was at rock bottom. My doctor suggested Topiramate and it has changed my life. I can go out and live a normal life, and not worry what will happen if I get a migraine or how quickly I can get home. My migraines have completely stopped since I have upped the dose from 25mg to 50mg I get some tingling in my legs but I can cope with that if it means no migraines for ever. It’s a miracle drug”

Panda · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 15, 2019

“I took Topamax because I was getting migraines nearly every day and other treatments failed. I was not informed of any serious side effects. I had never had a panic attack before, but I was getting them frequently on Topamax. They were so intense I did not know what to do. I did not feel like myself at all, I felt like a different person or empty shell of myself. I went to my primary care (neurologist prescribed) and she said she was treating several other patients for similar severe panic attacks from Topamax. The drug stays in your system so long, it was an awful feeling. I was just relieved to know it was the medicine and I wasn’t totally losing it. I have never tried migraine prevention medications since (this was 13 years ago) because it was such an awful experience.”

Hobotodd January 15, 2015

“I've been on Topamax for a month for basilar- type migraines which cause vertigo and headaches. Since being on 50mg of Topamax I've had 1 vertigo migraine attack when I had been getting them 5 days a week. This MEDICINE has made a huge difference for me. I also have noticed I have more energy and I'm just happier in general. I've lost some weight as well. I'm really happy I've found medication that works for me. I had some side effects like feeling out of it and tiredness for the first 2 weeks.”

Tope is dope · Taken for 10 years or more January 30, 2020

“On Topamax since 06' for migraines which is works, lost weight, works for that too, 200mg @AM and 300mg @pm now to manage. Only side effects are minimal. I can tell you that the weight loss comes to an end and you will have better luck with diet and exercise. Even on this med I have, because if you don't change your lifestyle and eating habits, when that weight loss stops, you just gain it all back. That's why weight gain is a side effect too. Just do the right way to begin with. You will be happier and healthier.”

Victoria925 · Taken for less than 1 month September 2, 2015

“I started Topamax on August 18th and my life has changed! Today is September 2nd, two weeks without a migraine is a miracle. I’m on 50mg. At first I was having a hard time at work. Brain fog is an understatement. But I would say it’s gone now. Within the first week my sensitivity to light disappeared. I actually started crying tears of joy while driving because I could finally see in the day time without migraine. And same thing at night. I don’t have to turn the mirror up anymore. I can see! I occasionally get some tingling in my hands and feet but not bad at all. I will update again on my progress/side effect in a month or two. Good luck to everyone. This has been such a blessing for me.”

Mona · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 3, 2019

“I started topamax at one 50mg tablet and I was okay the first weeks. Then I couldn’t eat at all I was hungry but I couldn’t eat and I started developing anxiety and depression and really dark thoughts. I stopped it for 2 weeks and decided to give it another try and that same night I took the dose I had horrible anxiety and just didn't feel safe from myself. This medicine is horrible”

paper mate · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2016

“I've only been on this medication for 2 weeks now but it has changed my life. I have lived with chronic migraines since my entire life..since I was 18 months old. I have lived with daily headaches and almost daily migraines for the past 10 years and it has taken over my life. Since starting Topamax, I have had 2-3 manageable headaches and I have my life back! It has even taken away chronic fibromyalgia and arthritis pain, given me back my ability to sleep soundly for hours at a time, and has gotten me out of a daily triptan habit that almost caused a stroke a few weeks ago. The side effects (brain fog, drowsiness, etc) are nothing new for me given I have fibromyalgia. A life without pain is worth it to me! What a miracle!!”

Migraine Lynn · Taken for 10 years or more November 3, 2015

“I've read many of the poor reviews, and wonder how many refer to the generic version of Topamax. I can't use the generic version - it simply doesn't work for me, and I do recall more side effects. However, the brand name drug has been a lifesaver for me. I suffered with chronic daily migraine for over a decade before being placed on Topamax, and NO other drug helped. I was on beta blockers, calcium channel blockers, every medication for seizure disorders, and talk about side effects! They were horrific! I could barely function at work, missed lots of time, and essentially had no life. Topamax has made a major difference. I now have many fewer migraines, rarely contend with chronic daily migraine, and I've experienced no major side effects”