User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Topamax Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 55 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Topamax to treat Migraine Prevention

"To be honest, I can't tell you if it helped with the prevention of migraines or not. I have had chronic migraines for 15 years now. They are accompanied by loss of feeling in my hands, aura, and sometimes my words come out as gibberish. I have tried just about everything from medications to natural remedies for my migraines. When my new neurologist suggested I take Topamax I thought that I would finally be rid of my migraines. I didn't even last a week on this medication though. I couldn't stand for more than thirty seconds without being dizzy and having shortness of breath. My stomach ached and I had a tingling sensation in my hands. I also had a slight fever. My doctor wanted to attribute all of these things to the start of a cold."

Kellight March 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had migraines since my first son was born nearly 27 years ago. They had become more and more frequent....almost daily. I was using the maximum amount of Maxalt that my insurance would allow. I asked my doctor for a prophylactic medication for migraines. I am now up to 100 mg of Topiramate 2 X daily. Yes there are some side effects. I have some tingling in my hands, sometimes my mouth is dry, if I don't have to work or don't have a lot planned I feel tired and lazy. I crave less sweets/ food in general...sometimes feel a little nauseated. I was losing weight (20 lbs) before starting the medication and continued after. I have stabilized at a 40lb weightloss. No other side effects. Restless legs are gone. Better sleep."

Ljray (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 15, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was on topamax 200mg 2x day for eight years. It cut back on my daily migraines. Went down to about 2-3x week. I lost 125 pounds in the first year I was on it. No appetite. Food tasted metallic, flat or just weird. I did get one kidney stone. After years of being on high dose, I started getting chest pain. My doctor took me off topamax about 7 years ago. I had bad withdrawals after weaning off, no seizures thankfully. Migraines have been daily again for last 18 months. Tried to go back on topamax but I can't tolerate it any more. After one 25mg tablet at bed time, I woke up with severe headache, dizziness and nausea. The next night I took one tablet and side effects were increased. I stopped. Side effects bad for two weeks. No thanks."

TosaTat (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 25, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Developed Aurora symptoms of migraine as part of diagnosis of fibromyalgia & chronic fatigue diagnosis as result of a car accident. Debilitating vertigo, light and noise sensitivity. Extreme cognitive disfunction and fatigue which were constant but the migraine came and went but would last for weeks. Eventually it just stayed and I felt like I was walking about drunk!! I was told there was nothing that could be done for me and this was part of my condition. I found topamax myself when I had reached the point where I had decided to end it all if this was it. Sad but true. Fortunately and happily I am a new women. My brain has been unscrambled! I can function again!No more hiding from the light or trying to remember why I started a sentence"

Áinej February 20, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug is horrible. Pros: yes, it destroys your appetite and you lose weight bc of that. You also don't enjoy food, which made me less inclined to want to cook for others (note: I am a foodie and love to cook). Cons: This drug did zero for my migraines. I take Amerge; works! I felt so foggy and "in and out" of ability the abilty to concentrate in the mornings (100mg nightly dosage). ok after 4 hrs. My mouth was literally so dry and my tongue so thick feeling, I could not get 3 syllable words out. Also, I had to grasp for words. I was losing confidence in my own performance and others commented on my lack of "snap." This was after a YEAR! Short term memory was shot, perhaps bc of "in and out" concentration. Hair! Had to get extensions!"

TMS2625 February 9, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"When I first started topamax I couldn't notice the side effects except for the tingling in my hands, feet and face. I thought it would go away with time but here I am 2 years later and it is still happening. This medication also prevented my migraines at first, then I had to be put in the hospital for 5 days to get treatment about 6 months ago, and now they are back again. If you miss even one dose you get a whole new set of side effects as if you started the medicine that day! Before I took this medicine my hair was so thick, and I never really noticed the hair loss side effect until now because my hair is falling out in chunks. Topamax also caused me to get kidney stones and be hospitalized for a month. The only good thing is I lost 50lbs"

ge304 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 8, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It worked, but the side effects were terrible, lasting and possibly permanent. The worst of the side effects I experienced were lack of taste and short-term memory loss. Over two years after taking this medication, I have still having issues with my short-term memory."

eparker726 (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was in a car accident with a head injury. I had intractable migraine and other headaches that came and went daily on top of that and three months after the accident my neurologist offered Topamax. It's been 9 months. I lost a lot of hair; I have the soda is flat thing; the pins and needles; and I have lost weight. I think the brain fog was not noticable because of the brain injury. It took care of my headaches immediately. I didn't mind the side effects. I ran out of it once and on day two had a seizure. I tried to titrate off recently and the migraine returned with a vengeance so I am still going to be taking it. I don't mind the side effects in comparison to the headache. Also-I use hypnosis for some of the side effects."

Serenitynemememe February 2, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had been taking Topamax for a year, but have just taken myself off due to excessive hair loss, loss of concentration and memory, and sleep problems. My hair was falling out by the handfuls every day, and the concentration and memory loss were preventing me from working as I am a translator. I have been on propranolol 160 mg daily for 2 years now, and have had good results from that with not too many side effects. I take rizatriptan when I do get a migraine and it stops it usually. If it doesn't I take Fioricet as well and that works."

Annabelleblue February 2, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The topamax worked great for my migraines, the bad part is that it causes kidney stones."

Jamcc (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 31, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got put on Topamax about 3 years ago, I felt it wasn't helping with my migraines so I took myself off. Then I had a seizure because I didn't have it. So I started back on it and had no luck with migraines. I quit taking it again and more seizures. Ever since I've been on it I have had seizures and they are not in my family at all."

KaylaMichelle January 6, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have taken 10mg Topamax for 4 months, I thought I had found a preventative but after 3 months my hair was shedding more then usual. Thought I was stressed out and overwhelmed with small kiddos and hubby deployed, my dermatologist didn't see anything very serious, like alopecia, so I continued. I began taking biotin and vitamins, but hair still kept coming out and scalp was starting to show more. I stopped completely and only lasted 4 days before a migraine wanted to come on. Luckily I took a rizatriptan in time to fight it off. Topamax worked beside the side effects of hair loss, forgetfulness, some leg cramps. Has anyone had any luck with another migraine preventative?"

Dmp1 January 2, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I loved this medication until it gave me stroke like side effects. The side effects kept getting worst to the point where I couldn't stand up, grasp anything, I talked funny and even messed with my throat to the point of chocking. It is a very dangerous drug with crazy side effects, not worth it. I did loose weight about 15 pounds, because I was never hungry while taking it."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 21, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have only been on it for about 6 days and already seen a incredible difference. I had a headache everyday for a year and a half and got bad migraine about 2-3 times a week. I have not had a migraine yet and my everyday headache has calm down. When I first started it did make me very drowsy but that went away as I got use to it"

allison82802 December 15, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been on this for just a week now at 25 mg also on 50 mg of amitriptalyne of a night. The first few days I felt really spaced out, but sort of kept coming in waves through the day. I also suffer from m.e as well but have found the past few days I have had lots of energy. I don't feel tired at all. Supposed to up dose to 50 mgs on second week, but I'm thinking may stick to the 25 for a little while to see how things go. No migraines up to now. Reading all the reviews most of the side effects seem to come when the dose is increased. Really worried about the hair loss business, don't think I could deal with that one . Think I'm going to give this a go for a few months and see how things go, it's all trial and error, or kill or cure."

Krissies November 21, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking 75mg topamax one a day for about 10 years now. I have gone as far as taking 100mg until I started not being able to get the words out that I was thinking of. That side effect has not completely gone away but is better. When I first started I did have the tingling in my hands and feet but it was no more than like having carpal tunnel, I also have the weird taste where soda tasted flat and tomatos tastes weird. I did loose a little weight. The tingeling went away, I adjusted to just not drinking soda. And tomatos started to taste fine. I also take Sumatriptan for when I still do get a headache. However the headaches are much fewer and further beteeen. I will get a cluster of them about every six mths but still better."

Jenn K November 15, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started out at 75mg, had to decrease at first because it made me super emotional and had really bad tingling in hands/feet, so I ended up going back down to 50mg, then I slowly increased by 25mg until I got up to 100mg and I'm doing OK now. I do feel emotionally sensitive at times and do get occasional tingling in my fingers and toes if I don't eat for awhile, which the Topamax also decreases my appetite and I have lost weight on. I still have ocular migraines if I stay up too late or don't get enough sleep. If I have even a small glass of wine the evening before I will wake up with an awful migraine the next morning, so I see why they say not to drink while on the medication. Overall it has really significantly decreased migraines."

Calantha November 5, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had migraines for 7 years. Take Fioricet for pain, which works well, but I wanted to try prevention. My doctor had already tried Gabapentin, Sumatriptan, and Propranolol, all of which had side effects but did nothing for migraines. Next came Topamax. Side effects were: Slight change of taste (sodas tasted flat, bread tasted sweeter), and gradual loss of memory and concentration, such that it was hard to read or study an issue at work and be able to understand it. It did not affect my eating habits or energy levels, did not affect my weight at all. It also did nothing for my migraines. It severely impeded my ability to think and thus my ability to work in the tech field, so I stopped taking it, and my work performance improved drastically."

Berander (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I began taking 25 mg of topamax once daily due to my migraines lingering 2-3 days at a time. Topamax did a NUMBER on my body. I completely stopped eating. Every time I tried to eat I took ONE BITE and would gag. I felt so extremely full constantly eventhough I knew I had not eaten. Topamax completely destroyed my appetite and although I've been off of the medication for 6 months I still never crave ANYthing. I eat when I'm hungry but I no longer have any cravings. While taking this medication I lost a lot of my memory. I was constantly hazy or confused and I felt like I was always searching for my task. I became malnourished and confused that I quit taking the medicine completely. I would never recommend this medication bc of side effects!"

Jaurdin (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've only been on this medication for 2 weeks now but it has changed my life. I have lived with chronic migraines since my entire life..since I was 18 months old. I have lived with daily headaches and almost daily migraines for the past 10 years and it has taken over my life. Since starting Topamax, I have had 2-3 manageable headaches and I have my life back! It has even taken away chronic fibromyalgia and arthritis pain, given me back my ability to sleep soundly for hours at a time, and has gotten me out of a daily triptan habit that almost caused a stroke a few weeks ago. The side effects (brain fog, drowsiness, etc) are nothing new for me given I have fibromyalgia. A life without pain is worth it to me! What a miracle!!"

paper mate (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2016

48 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had intractable migraine for 28 years, and migraines from the age of 10 until 28 years ago when it never quit.. I went through many different trials of treatment & nothing worked, so finally the headache specialist gave me Vicodin. It worked and I was able to begin living life again. Then a new MD took the Vicodin away and gave me Topamax. MY LIFE WAS HELL. I live alone in a 2 story house and I had to scoot up/down on my butt. I am 66 & disabled (from strokes) and I was terrified. I could barely form sentences, I had terrible brain fog, I couldn't cook a meal as I was so confused I kept burning things. It was horrible. The doc told me to keep taking it but I refused, I felt the side effects were too dangerous for me."

Gama2Mac (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This has been a life saver for me as far as migraines go. At first I had a few of the side effects, brain fog, forgetfulness, but that went away after a month or so. Without this drug, I get at least 2-3 headaches a week ranging from dull to severe. I rarely have a migraine while on it."

Sarabeth73 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 18, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Worst night of my life. I made the mistake of not looking at reviews until I had just popped the pill. I felt like a zombie. I couldn't think or formulate sentences. My body felt like I had needles all over. My legs wouldn't stop shaking. I couldn't see. I cried until I fell asleep and continued to have side effects the next day. I cannot believe they sell this medication. By far the worst experience of my life. I do not recommend this drug to anyone and sincerely recommend anyone considering this drug to not take it."

kmw0795 (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"For the first time in my life (I'm 76 years old) I am migraine free!!! It has been 5 years since I started taking Topamax and I have had only one migraine. I used to have at least one migraine a week and sometimes more since I was a small child complaining about the corner of my head hurt. I would have major pain, vomiting and and have to go to bed in a dark cool room."

Little sister October 11, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been in this medication for 3 weeks .At first the effects were unbearable ; brain fog, memory loss , loss for words , sleepingall day . I'm going on my 3rd week and almost all side effects subsided . I still find myself at loss of words sometimes . I started at 121lbs I'm now at 116 and still losing . I find myself never wanting to eat . Soda taste flat . I don't mind . I like the medicine . I take 50mg morning 50mg night prn."

Ccg77777 (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2016