User Reviews for Topamax

Topamax Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 34 medications used in the treatment of Seizure Prevention.

Reviews for Topamax to treat Seizure Prevention

"After day one of topamax I felt strange. Generally sick. Very nervous. Aggressive. And then very depressed. I kept taking them. My appetite decreased as did my energy levels. And I was over thirsty all the time. Some abdominal pains and areas of numbness. Particularly of the face. Mouth. Eyes etc. Then I broke out in massive bruises. Very dark large haematomas on. My arm. I also had bone pains in my lower back and legs. I felt like I was being POISONED to death. So I stopped taking topamax after a month. After two days I already am feeling much better. This should not be allowed on the market. Again. Topamax feels like a very cruel lethal drug/poison.... Don't take it."

Snagz April 24, 2018

"No problems the first four weeks @25mg. Later @75mg, I began to have cognitive difficulties. Felt like I was becoming a drug induced moron. Trouble developing thought formation, loss of words, lethargic. I was on Lithium for 15 years, developed chronic kidney disease. Looking for something for Bipolar 1 (mixed manic) without damage to body and shutting off the brain."

Shay (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2018

"My doctor put me on Topamax because I could no longer afford Lacmictal for my bipolar disorder. It was the worst experience of my life. It gave me a severe headache, loss of coordination -- if I was walking forward I would suddenly start waking on my tiptoes in a sideways direction. I couldn't spell or form sentences. I had slurred speech and my eyes were glazed over. I also had mild anxiety the whole time I was on it. The only good thing was that I literally had no appetite and lost a lot of weight. I only took it for about ten days week and went back to Lamictal. I'd rather be poor than have to be on Topamax"

Butterbean63 (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2018

"Topamax, I’m not sure what a decade of using topamax has or has not caused, it is NOT reliably controlling siezures until I started ketogenic lifestyle, in fact the high fat diet has totally taken away my tremors in head that I felt on daily basis, my Clinic had me in for 5 days in hospital testing and determined to lower my topamax level upon leaving by 100 mg. I was on 400 and lowered to 300. Today I have depression fibromyalgia and most my ligaments or hurt. Joints feel like they are rock hard swollen and painful, I can barely use my thumbs anymore but I refuse to go to do tools for fear of more medication, they never find anything wrong but proof is in pudding, bulging achilles and wrists, right side pain every joint I have hurts "

Ketogenic lifestyle (taken for 10 years or more) November 2, 2017

"Topamax is not for me. I only take 50mg and have side effects, word retrieval issues, sleepiness, balance issues, etc. But it is the only one I can take that my stomach can tolerate! Seeking other avenues to control seizures, like reducing the radiation around me particularly at night...appears to be working!"

Nank (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 3, 2017

"Switched to this after getting a nasty mouth rash from Lamictal--and would rather have that that than all the stuff I have to deal with from Topamax... 24/7 EXHAUSTION, breakthrough seizures daily, horrible horrible memory loss (will have taken my medication and no more than 10 minutes later have to count all the tiny things to see if I've taken that half days dose). Living a miserable life on this medication, cannot wait to get onto something else. Tried to give this a chance and it gave me nothing but a terrible time, almost like being unmedicated with a constant dead leg&arm, UGH. I'm a small person in general so the weight loss was not a welcome change either. Topamax does nothing!!! for my complex partials seizures or epilepsy."

mygcem May 6, 2017

"I've been on this for over a year. Works very well. I have one side affect, tingling in my feet. I eat alot of greens and bananas to help with that. I lost 45 lbs because of it as well. I take Vitamin B-12 to help with my memory because of the seizure meds...like every seizure meds can affect your memory."

Annloss1970 November 23, 2016

"Great and Keppra too"

Calluna September 24, 2016

"Used it for a mth and having the weirdest seizures ever"

33yrsofseisures July 15, 2016

"When I first started this medication it was OK ,I was never told this medicine cause memory loss. It's really bad, I can't remember at times if I took my medicine and places I have been going all my life I can't remember how to get there. Please be aware!!!"

Dimples1621 June 28, 2016

"I found this drug to be very effective to control my seizures. Before taking Topirimate, my seizures were uncontrollable. I would get 3-5 seizures per week. Not including the amount of injuries I sustained- fortunately, nothing serious, just bumps on the head and sprained ankles from falling over. But I've been so lucky. I've also lost weight. Amazing. I've wanted to lose weight for a while now. I've lost about 2 stone. But unfortunately the appetite suppressant within the Topiramate has ceased. It doesn't last very long. My appetite has come back :-( But the seizures have been greatly reduced. Which is the main thing, which I'm very happy about."

AshR00 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2015

"I've been on Topiramate now for 3 yrs after switching from Lamotrogine, on which I had a full-on epileptic seizure. My experience on Topiramate however has been fine. I lost weight like others seem to have, but have since put it back on. I surrendered my driving license for a year after the seizure but have since got that back. I carry out my job with ease as well so really can't complain there. The only issues I've had are the side effects of tingly hands and feet, sudden dizziness, becoming very, very tired all of a sudden - and more recently - losing my train of thought, getting confused easily and being unable to focus. I've noticed this mainly happens though when I'm bored and have nothing to do. When I'm busy, all works well."

Rebecca13 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 6, 2015

"I've been on and off Topamax for 20 years, works good and I've lost over 100lbs. Very good medicine. Also I've had five brain Surgerys in my life for seizures because mine was so bad now I'm down to maybe one every 3 years dry mouth a little bit but I rather have the dry mouth and be 100lbs lighter and able to drive and do things then to be off it and have only God knows how many seizures and not be able to drive."

Mr wild 1 January 29, 2015

"Good medication, reduced My GMS disorder but now I see the effects of being on this medication. I've been on it for 3 years now and like I said it reduced my grand mal seizures. But I've lost 40lbs. I have trouble. Speaking the complete thought in my mind and I'm always exhausted. Though, I have other issues that affect my sleeping habits, as I am a veteran. Pros and cons so consider them."

oif_vet (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 15, 2014

"When I first used Topamax it was for seizures but I had not been diagnosed with bipolar then it was thought to be depression. I lost 83 pounds but I stopped taking it because of the tingling in my hands and face, but after trying other medications years later I gained 123 pounds which I was devastated and plunged in a deep depression that I am still in after reading about again I know, I can live with the other things it seems minor to the darkness I have been living in I can't what to try it again after realizing its better than 99% of things I tried when I go to my appointment in two weeks. I'm excited for the first time in a long time to try it again."

Back to start... February 6, 2014

"This medicine was great in taking care of seizures but I honestly felt like I was crazy most of the time. I lost weight which I was happy with but when it comes to the final review, I was a crazy, small person. I couldn't even call an order in on the phone because I couldn't think fast enough, I went back to my doctor and ask him to take me off this."

cademan123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2013

"This is for the Newbies out there. I started this medication when I was 15. Had my first seizure few days before before my 15th birthday. The first side effect you will experience is sleepiness, don't fight it. Let your body get a nap between 1-3, which I found to be the best time. I sleep for 1 hour and still can fall asleep at night. I am 21 now. Some advice to you, whenever you don't feel like eating I found that sweet tea gets me hungry, find that X factor in you. The weight loss is insane. I lost 40 pounds in 6 months just by breathing. Now, sleep patterns are important. If an average person needs 8 hours you and I need 9-10 MINIMUM also try to take the dose at the same time every day, you will fall asleep faster. Hang out to see sunrise."

rogi (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 21, 2013

"Confusion, forget, tingling, lights in the corner of eye shining, drops of water dripping on head at times, but the weight loss was good, but its not worth it for me. "

tnl3 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2012

"I liked Topamax because I never worried about having a seizure. I obtained complete control and the added benefit of helping the migraines, however the MD discontinued it after I had personality changes, severe weight loss and acidosis. "

Anonymous October 2, 2012

"I was prescribed this medicine to treat my petite mal seizures. I was never warned of any potential side-effects, and never thought to ask, seeing as I had never taken a medicine before. After I began taking this, my seizures graduated to full out grand mal seizures. I couldn't speak, I couldn't understand others' speech, and I couldn't sleep more than a few hours most nights. Everything came to a heads about four months after I began taking the medicine, when I couldn't remember how to say "Bye" to my dad. I would have rather had seizures EVERY day than stay on Topamax! I got off of the medicine, and am now on Lamictal, under which I haven't had any seizures or side-effects in the two years I've been taking it."

FortyFour (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2012

"First off my dosage 200mg twice a day, 26 yo male. It's works, in fact the only anti-seizure medication that has worked for me. I have noticed weight loss of 15 to 20lbs under my natural weight (135 to 155 at 5'11") from being on the meds to off (but that could be lack of exercise). Other than that keeps me going in my daily life. Just don't miss too many."

lazyfries85 February 21, 2012

"My five year old was prescribed this medicine after he started having breakout seizures on his other medicines. After about two weeks the seizures had not decreased and he started complaining of severe eye pain. A visit to the eye doctor confirmed very high pressure in his eyes. It did not work well for him."

teaspoon dad June 1, 2011

"I've been on Topamax (250 mg/day) for 8 years now. Up until last week, I was seizure free for 7 years. Everything I tried prior to Topamax resulted in breakthrough seizures every couple of weeks. Topamax enabled me to get my license, a full time job, move out of my parent's house, and eventually get my Bachelor's degree (next year!). Put simply, Topamax gave me a life!"

Anonymous March 30, 2010

"I took Topamax for approximately 5 years with little trouble. I did have the metallic taste, and could not drink carbonated beverages. In July 2009, I had to quit Topamax due to a little published side effect, kidney stones. I was on a pretty large dose (600 mg). I had a 9mm Kidney stone and many many small stones. I take Keppra XR now. It prevents the seizures, but I have gained all the weight plus some that I had lost on Topamax, but no seizures or kidney stones."

robbie1106 January 31, 2010

"After years of being on Carbamazepine and gaining a lot of weight I was switched to Topamax/Topiramate. First to 300 mg then because of G.I. side effects to 100 mg a day and adding 50 mg of Lamictal. G.I. symptoms are gone. I do experience the metal taste, some tingling in my hands and feet, tiredness, blurred vision, some diarrhea but these are few and far between, my weight is stabilized and not many problems with sleep. Any breakthrough seizures I have is usually when I don't maintain my regular sleep cycle, get overstressed, etc. The plus is that I am able to have a normal life. I work full-time, hunt, fish, exercise, have 2 grown boys, hobbies and my husband and I have a very active social life. Inconvenient yes but worth it!"

Lesa66 November 27, 2009