User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Restless Legs Syndrome 1.0
Summary of Lamotrigine reviews 7.9 1,245 reviews

Reviews for Lamotrigine

ExHxW · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 17, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “This was one of the first non SSRI's I was put on and it's been amazing. No side effects. Helps a lot with depression.”

kuno78 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 4, 2020

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: “I did quite well on lamictal for my Bipolar on 150mg. Upon reaching 200mg, I had unbearable anxiety, constant panic attacks, headaches, horrible nausea, and vomiting. I would recommend easing up gradually and staying at a lower dose if possible.”

coach · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2020

For Depression: “lamotrigine is incredible for my depression. Get this if you can.”

Kate June 4, 2020

For Anxiety: “I never review meds but I feel like I’m doing a disservice but not sharing. SO PLEASE READ! I was prescribed lamotrigine at my lowest point. I was struggling with anxiety, panic attacks, depression and PMMD. I was facing constant intrusive thoughts about death and sadness. I came home from the doctors after being prescribed and read these reviews and bawled my eyes out. I was so afraid of taking this medication. Yet, I needed something to help ASAP. I have now been taking lamotrigine for 3 months and my anxiety is much lower, my emotions are not out of control before my period and I have more peace of mind. I don’t have any bad side affects. My biggest recommendation is to start with a low dose (50mg) and after two weeks (100mg). I feel like taking more than this ups your chance of having a bad reaction. We are all different so there is no guarantee. Just know that this website is usual used if you have had a relatively bad experience so take that into consideration.”

shura · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 1, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I have bipolar 2 with psychotic features (family prone to schizophrenia, I am being watched carefully). This drug has pretty much eliminated my hypomanic episodes. I still have episodes of time where I feel more hyper than others, but I do not have times where I don't sleep for 5 days straight or I try to jump off of a building because I think I'm invisible. This drug has not helped at all with depression, but I take 120 mg of latuda as well as 500 mg of lamictal and 300 mg 3x a day gabapentin. This drug cocktail is mostly working for me, but I might need to go on an antidepressant soon.”

Sunshine143 May 31, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I was on lithium for a year or so, my dr kept upping it when I told him I was having symptoms of feeling numb (couldn’t even feel happy or laugh or cry) I was like a zombie. I gained a ton of weight & it gave me shakes so bad. My hands would just shake terribly. I was on 1200mg a day (600mg 2x a day) I got pregnant with my son & switched drs. I had to do a quick detox off of the lithium because of the birth defects associated with lithium and pregnancy. It was a horrible few weeks coming off of it (I did a quick 2 weeks taper) and the few weeks after that were bad. My new dr put me on a low dose of lamictal in combination with buspar for my anxiety. I started on 25mg of lamictal and 10mg of buspar,I started feeling better in about 2-3 weeks. Then I moved up to 50mg of lamictal and 20mg of buspar(10mg 2x a day) I’ve been on that dose for almost 2 years & it’s helped a lot.”

Doe · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 14, 2020

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: “It worked well but over the course of a 1.5 years, I had hair loss on my head and even body hair was not growing back. My tests came back indicating minor hyperthyroidism and I had constant constipation/gas. I gained a lot of weight too which is weird. It turned out the lamictal was causing problems with my biotin/vitamin b intake. After talking to my psych and stopping lamictal and taking biotin supplements, I could finally pass stool easily and slowly my hair grew back... though I sort of missed my leg and underarm hair not growing. My weight and tsh level went back to normal after a few months too. Overall, it worked but the side effects weren't good for me. So again, it helped me a lot, but”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 11, 2020

For Anxiety: “My anxiety is severe where I experience nerve pain. I was prescribed to the medication lamotrigine from my psychiatrist 2 months ago but, I was scared to take it. I recently got over the fear of taking this medication and started it 8 days ago - I feel no difference, just feel more anxious and jittery. No problems in sleep but, I would wake up feeling super jittery from chest to legs. Will continue to take it and see how it goes in the next few weeks”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2020

For Borderline Personality Disorder: “I started taking lamotrigine 2 days ago. I know that not much time has passed since I stared taking it, but I almost immediately felt its effects on me. I came back on Earth, I have just came back to "normality". At first, it was strange. I mean I missed my previous highs, but I know that "normality" is the way to making good decisions. I feel more stable and I am more aware that I am not alone, but there are many of my family members and friends who love me. I think it must be a great medicine, and I continue taking it with hope. :-) I really wish all the best to everyone.”

Meli May 4, 2020

For Anxiety: “I had tried lamictal about a year ago for anxiety and depression, and worked my way up to 100mg dosage. Mostly I noticed that I would get very emotional while on this medication, to the point that it was completely overwhelming and uncontrollable. My first two days on the medication, I felt good. But I started having very violent and vivid nightmares and insomnia. I would have a panic attacks daily. I experienced some uncontrollable tremors and shaking over my whole body for hours. I felt very sick, and nauseous. Recently I’ve noticed I had strong impulsive thoughts, which triggered panic attacks and just left me unable to function. At this point I feel like I’m not able to function in my daily life. I have had to take clonazepam multiple times daily since I’ve been on this medication when I had gone over two months without taking any.”

Donethatbefore · Taken for 10 years or more May 3, 2020

For Epilepsy: “My daughter takes lamotrine and topamax for generalized seizures. She's 30 years old and has autism, non verbal. Sometimes she will go off at the drop of a hat, I don't know why. She'll pull the dresser drawer out on the floor, she knocked the lamp iff twice, and tried to tear up her am/fm headphones. (Not all at once). Headphones have been taken away. But I'll get another 50mg lamotrine for her and in minutes she's fine. I was reading one person on here was thinking about weaning off them on their own. I'm not a Dr but if I were going to do that, go twice as slow as the Dr would have you do it. Better safe than sorry. Her hair got much thinner over the past 18 years of being on it. Has anyone else experienced hair loss?”

Tans May 2, 2020

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: “Excellent drug for treatment of bipolar depression. When used in combination with venlafaxine , these drugs changed my life”

travelersheart · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2020

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: “I was on 200 mg lamotrigine for about a half a year and did not like the way it made me feel. After voicing my concern that I felt "flat lined, indifferent to everything, and lacked confidence", my doctor did not listen. I weaned myself off because it was too distressing for me and all this started to worsen my social anxiety. I know this is not the case for everyone, but if you have had the same struggles, then this may not be the drug for you. Also, a more serious and medical side effect I had was heart palpitations, specifically tachycardia.”

Starlight · Taken for less than 1 month May 1, 2020

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: “I was on buspar for anxiety and wellbutrin for depression. After getting on lamictal I was able to stop the buspar. I feel like this medication is good for anxiety and mood swings. I just overall feel better. I do have a history of peti mall seizures but was on no medications.”

L · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 1, 2020

For Schizoaffective Disorder: “Lamotrigine has worked wonders for my mood. It’s been a difficult road to finding the right medication, but I think this is the one. It took some time to adjust to it, but once it started to work it really worked for me. I have schizoaffective disorder”

Beemzo April 30, 2020

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “I have been taking Lamotrigine for over 6 months. I am now at 150 mg. At 100mg or less if was a bit sedating so I took it at night. After reaching 150mg, I got some pretty bad insomnia so I take it in the mornings now. May need a sleeping pill because benzos aren't helping the insomnia. Before taking lamictal, I've been on over 20 medications for PTSD. Every single one made symptoms of anger, PTSD, depersonalization, and bipolar much worse. With Lamictal, it just doesn't do that. It helps instead of hurts. I used to be too afraid to leave my room to pee. Now I went to a job interview yesterday. I spent 2 years not leaving my house, not eating, not living. I was ready to give up on ever healing. Lamictal hasn't fixed everything for me. No medication can do that. It takes a lot of trial and error, a whole lot of self work, but without Lamictal I don't think I would have even started making changes in my life.”

SJ · Taken for 10 years or more April 27, 2020

Lamictal (lamotrigine): “Have been taking 200mg Lamictal for over 10 years it doesn’t seem to help anymore plus I’m at a different age and stage in my MH. I want to decrease but doctors and psychs keep avoiding it I think because there are no studies on long term issues with withdrawal and decreasing. Getting to the point where I’m going to just try decrease myself by halving my pills”

Joe April 20, 2020

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: “Taking 200 mg Lamictal 2 x per day, after eliminating Dilantin which did not prevent several partial and one general seizure after a stroke, and caused sensitivity to noise and paranoia, enabled me to lead seizure free life with few impairments. After 19 years, now taking 25 mg Lamictal 1x or 2x per day maintenance dose, I established through trial and error that Lamictal causes a temporary stiffness or numbness around the mouth and eye of the left side of my face, the vision is impaired.”

Lavacy20 · Taken for less than 1 month April 16, 2020

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: “I have been taking lamotrigene for a week now. I'm only at 50mg as of now. I have bipolar, severe derealization and depersonalization from PTSD. I can tell that things (physical things) are becoming more real. Items are slowly more 3D rather than 2D. My brain has removed the part of reality that allows me to feel a part of life as a coping mechanism for my safety. Whatever this drug is doing I am grateful for it because I believe before this my life was a nightmare. Not being able to connect that reality is physically real. I can feel it quieting my intrusive ruminating thoughts which is amazing. In the shower the other day I heard, for the first time, quiet except for the water running and I broke down crying because I never realized how truly loud my thoughts were. I still have a ways to go but I do also feel it evening out my moods. I'm not as angry and easily triggered.”

Moodypants April 16, 2020

For Cyclothymic Disorder: “I started lamictal about two years ago. It was the answer to my prayers. I was so hesitant to try a mood stabilizer when I first went to a psychiatrist. It scared me that I might have something more than anxiety. I am extremely sensitive to psych meds. I have to start with micro doses until I get to a therapeutic dose. Buspar was the only medication that didn’t make me feel anxious and restless but it didn’t do much until I tried Lamictal with it. Before lamictal I had frequent changes in my mood. All in the same day I would feel suicidal, very happy, fixated on a worry, normal and then it would cycle again. I tracked my mood on a mood tracker and talked with my doctor about it. When they prescribed lamictal I was skeptical but after the first three days I felt normal for the first time in years. When I was a kid I felt normal (no major anxiety, no crawling sensations in arms and legs, no suicidal thoughts). I am back!!”

Gypsy G · Taken for less than 1 month March 22, 2020

For Anxiety: “I have started lamictal and have been taking for approximately 3 weeks. It has got me out of bed and given me life again. I was prescribed this by a psychiatrist. I was depressed.”

Geb27 · Taken for 10 years or more March 19, 2020

For Borderline Personality Disorder: “I’ve been taking Lamotrigine for roughly 15 years now. I started when I was a teenager and now I’m into my 30’s. I take it for mood stabilization. Over the years my dosage had been adjusted for a variety of things, but the last 9 years my dosage has stayed at 200mg. This medication is a lifesaver. I went through several psychiatric emergencies, tried several different medications, but Lamotrigine ended up being what works for me. There are some serious side effects, some more tolerable than others. But overall a great medication.”

Horse · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 17, 2020

For Seizure Prevention: “I take one Lamotrigine in the morning and one at night. I have had no side effects that I am aware of. I hope it is not doing any damage. I think my short term memory is not as good as it once was. I write down things I need to remember more than other times in my life, but many of my friends do too. However, I am now 75 years old and can still do all activities I need/want to.”

Jen · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 13, 2020

For Epilepsy: “When I started going to my new neurologist, she transitioned me over to lamotrigine for my Epilepsy because if I was to get pregnant, it causes the least amount of birth defects. Compared to Keppra and Topiramate, I had fewer side effects with Lamotrigine and specifically the Unichem manufacturers. Well, 4 years after I started taking Lamotrigine, I did get pregnant. Over the course of 9 months, I needed to adjust my medication from 500mg to 1,000mg; however, no seizures- thankfully. The one downside about the Unichem manufactures is a lot of pharmacies don’t carry it for Lamotrigine and need to put in a special order so sometimes you need to call multiple pharmacies to see how quick they can order it. I have found in the past couple months, that Walgreens specifically carries the Unichem brand.”

Iz · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 10, 2020

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: “Lamictal has completely changed my life. I take it in conjunction with a low dose of abilify, and the combination has kept me from having manic/depressive for about a year straight now, something I never thought possible. At first I was just on abilify— a pretty high dose— and while it kept me free from hypomania, it didn’t really do much for the depression. Lamictal, on the other hand, has worked wonders in that respect. Very little side effects— I wake up nauseous but it fades after about an hour, and it’s definitely worth it. Other than that, no weight gain, and I believe it may have actually increased my previously nonexistent sex drive. The best part of lamictal is that I don’t feel flat or subdued. I’m still having the normal ups and downs of life, but for the first time, I feel pretty confident that they’re not bipolar related. It’s really been a miracle drug for me.”