User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Schizoaffective Disorder 11 reviews 28 medications

6.5
Restless Legs Syndrome 1 reviews 15 medications

Summary of Lamotrigine reviews 641 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Lamotrigine

For Epilepsy: "I have complex partial seizures. After trying 17 different drugs. Yes,17. I basically had to sign my life away into to be part of a drug study on lamotrigine when it had not been approved by the FDA yet. I take 300mg x 2 daily. I rarely have a seizure. (I do take it Tranxene with it as well). I now have been taking Lamotrigine since about 1987. The only problem was getting me on the right dose. I am happy as a clam."

kyittykatz (taken for 10 years or more) January 16, 2017

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Hi all, I left my opinion last year around October. And things have changed just a bit. I understood my illness is genetic Bc my uncle had it and my dad has it but don't accept it I guess. Anyway 70% of cases have a genetic background so feel better about that. You didn't chose this. I feel Lamictal is not working as well after two years but not a major change. I will increase it from 200mg to 250 this week. I control my depression with clonazepan. I feel anxiety makes depression worse. So when it kicks in then I feel stronger enough to make a prayer and it goes away.we need to do some work in our brain. Everything that is negative you change it for "yes" and I can and I will."

The Athalaian (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been treated using every medication possible. (Paxil, Prozac, lexapro, latuda, lithium, abilify, Wellbutrin, vybriid, klonopin, propranolol, etc) my doc suggested Lamotragine for my migraines and my bipolar. Worst idea. I ended up getting migraines daily and it sky rocketed my bipolar to the point I couldn't get out of bed. I blocked everyone's number who tried to get in contact with me and I became extremely irrational, irritable, and destructive. I'm on day 3 of getting off and it's still in my system. I feel as if I am insane."

Anonymous M (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2017

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: "I was diagnosed with an arteriovenous malformation (AVM) in my left parietal part of my brain in 2015 after I had a stroke at 21. I had it removed in 2016. I was on dilantin and it made me feel horrible. After my surgery in the hospital I had a seizure 3 times and they came in increments of 3. I was then put on Keppra with Dilatin. No good. My moods went crazy. Then they switched me to Lamical with a low dose of dilantin eventually weaning off of the dilantin. I was put on 400 mg of lamictal. Just recently I had a bad seizure and now they increased my does to 600mg. It is working but I feel very disconnected and spacey. Its helping with seizures but not liking the side effects. I am now looking into a device called Responsive neurostimulation (RSN). looking for alternatives but so far lamical works"

Jaz_4 January 13, 2017

For Seizure Prevention: "I've suffered from clinical depression and a severe explosive disorder all my life. My doctor prescribed this specificallly for my explosive disorder. Since I was depressed and negative most of the the time, I was easily annoyed and angered. When angered, i became quickly stressed out and would "blow up" and go off "like a rocket" in fit or rage yelling, screaming. pounding and smashing things. The Lamotrigine successfully controls my explosive disorder. It also helped my depression and improved my mood. The doctor started me off at 100 mg a day. However, I had a adverse reaction to that amount. My heart would start racing and I felt wired up and couldn't relax or sleep. So I reduced my dosage to 25 mg a day, and I'm able tolerate that."

Grapost (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 13, 2017

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on generic lamictal for nearly 2 months, on 300 mg for 1 week so far. I feel great when I wake up, depressed late am and afternoon, then decent in the evenings. Has anyone else had this with lamictal? My hope is that a higher dosage will do the trick. Thanks for any responses!"

Nadia2000 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2017

For Restless Legs Syndrome: "I've been on lamotrigine for years for other reasons and I continue to deal with RLS. Drugs such as Clonopin or other benzos just make me drowsy but don't relieve the creepiness of RLS."

OdieKat (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 12, 2017

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "I've suffered from clinical depression and a severe explosive disorder all my life. My doctor prescribed this specificallly for my explosive disorder. Since I was depressed and negative most of the the time, I was easily annoyed and angered. When angered, I became quickly stressed out and would "blow up" and go off "like a rocket" in fit or rage yelling, screaming. pounding and smashing things. The Lamotrigine successfully controls my explosive disorder. It also helped my depression and improved my mood. The doctor started me off at 100 mg a day. However, I had a adverse reaction to that amount. My heart would start racing and I felt wired up and couldn't relax or sleep. So I reduced my dosage to 25 mg a day, and I'm able tolerate that."

Grapost January 12, 2017

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Not the most effective. It did tone down my hypomania a little bit. I normally get depressive episodes at a set time every year, and lamotrigine pushed it a bit later than it would have been. Besides that, it didn't do much; I'm still having severe depressive episodes that lead to suicidality. No side effects on its own, but I've noticed that it seems to magnify the side effects of other drugs if I take both (e.g., if I take a drug that makes me drowsy, lamotrigine makes me more drowsy; if I take a drug that makes me nauseous, lamotrigine makes me more nauseous, etc.). All in all I'm pretty neutral on this drug. It's not great, but not bad."

Audrey K January 9, 2017

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I am a 31 year old female. I was prescribed Lamictal by my psychiatrist after describing my terrible mood swings. I was easily annoyed, agitated, and irritable. I would go from super happy and laughing to crying and screaming at the drop of a hat. I tried so hard to control it, but I couldn't. This medication has leveled me out so much. I feel much more "normal." I'm currently taking 50 mg twice a day. After about a month, I do notice my symptoms start to return. I tell my psychiatrist, and he ups my dose. I'm hoping I'll eventually reach a dosage that'll stick. I still have some anxiety (especially social anxiety), but this medication has helped me so much. It has really improved my personal relationships."

lefrye13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2017

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: "Started in 2005 with a low dose 50 mg once daily in evening time with no regard to food. It has done a miracle in my case I am virtually 100 % seizure free. No noticeable side effects in my case except dreams in 1st week, as I remember when I started 11 years ago. In 2011 I stopped taking it as I thought I don't need it any more but I had a fit again very soon, so I started again immediately. In 2012, I tried to be over smart and reduced its dose to 25 mg 1 OD, but soon afterwards I had another episode though it was less intense and I controlled myself. Since then I never thought again to discontinue or reduced its dose, I take it each day every day religiously honestly without a break like my breakfast every morning."

imtiazkhan December 31, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I wanted to take some time out of my day in case someone is struggling and I may help them have the hope and courage to take the leap and get better. I have bipolar spectrum ADHD. I have never had a manic episode, but I get pretty irritable, hyper, and feel like I'm crawling out of my skin sometimes. I have some mood swings and have had some impulsive behavior that I am not proud of. I was always very ashamed of this and was lucky that I could contain it by really white-knuckling through life. I eventually was exhausted by this and tried this medicine at the suggestion of a wonderful psychiatrist, who I am willing to recommend. Within a month I was a different person. I am calmer, steadier, and found contentment. Please get help :)."

nicolemarie8 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've seen a psychiatrist and a therapist for year. Over a 12 year span, I've probably tried 20-30 drugs. This medication is the first to make me feel human again. I'm not a zombie and I'm not lacking emotion. I'm genuinely happy and thriving. I'm so happy I finally found this medication. I've also not had weight gain, I've actually lost some weight."

kshaw2012 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2016

For Depression: "I've been under treatment for depression for over 10 years and I've tried Prozac, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Luvox, Cymbalta, Efexor and a few more. Efexor was by far the worst! Instead of making me awake I was sleeping around 16 hours at day and little I know my blood pressure was always high. I've started Lamotrigine about 2-3 weeks ago and I'm still on 25mg, but I can tell the difference in my energy and I'm not taking naps during the day at all!!! I don't even feel like it. My energy level is great, something that was making me even more depressed!!!! Life is good again!"

Cici1979 December 27, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "While I can definitely say that it changed my life for the better, it just wasn't enough. And yet, it made me sluggish. I know that sounds paradoxical... it was like I really didn't want to do anything at all, but my head was still racing. I still talked too fast, I still couldn't sleep... it just wasn't enough. It slowed my body, I think, but not my mind."

espresso_dreams (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 27, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Hi...I have been on lamictal for 6 weeks, titrating up from 25 to now 200 mg for 3 days now. I had a couple of days at 50 mg when I was feeling better, then at 100 mg, I felt pretty good. I noticed feeling a little depressed again and still feeling this way at 200 mg. Is it normal to dip after feeling better? What can I expect and when can I expect my mood to stay elevated? Thank you for any responses!"

Nadia2000 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Great. I have been on it for ten years. I was diagnosed with bipolar 1 at 25 y/o and it took me about 1.5 yrs before a psychiatrist recommend this. They also had me on depakote which can cause liver damage. Later I removed the depakote. When life continued became more stressful (getting my master's and starting a family) I had anxiety start and begun Paxil. I am now trying to stop paxil."

Mattyfour December 26, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "At first I was hesitant because of the price w/o ins (over $100 a bottle) and some people can develop a serious rash. However, after some contemplation, and knowing that the lithium I was taking was not helping my bi-polar depression, and knowing Lamictal helps increase energy, I decided to take it anyway... I LOVE THIS STUFF. Its helped me so much, I've gone off lithium and am taking it exclusively for BP2. I'm on a low dose of 50 mg because I experienced some itching at first, which did go away after about a month. Now, I have NO side effects, and my depression is GONE without me feeling numb. In other words, I can still be sad without spinning into depression. I haven't gone manic either, but I rarely go that way, so it works for me!"

LOVE this stuff! (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have Bipolar 2. Have been in a combination of Lithium and Pristiq for 5 years and it worked perfectly, however. In August I suffered a very rare side effect of pristiq know as RCVS which besically cause my cerebellum arteris to spasm resulting in two severe strokes. Thankfully I have recovered well but had to be taken off the pristiq immediately. As I couldn't take any my meds for risk of strokes reoccurring I was put on Lamotragine. So combine two mood stabiliser, one for mania and one for depression I am now almost back to what I was like prior to the strokes. Lamotragine has been a lifesaver!"

BPz (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lamictal has really helped with my bi polar depression. I was on Latuda too but I gained weight on it and it killed my sex drive. Currently I am being tapered off of Latuda and I've started taking lithium. I feel happy and stable."

Onedayatatime73 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 13, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I started this medication very slowly to avoid the rash if at all possible. 25 mg in morning and at night for two weeks. Increased dose .50 in morning and .50 at night for another two weeks. I am now at .75 in morning and .75 at night. I find by dividing the medication in the day, I am more stable over all."

rookrook December 10, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on 400 mg of lamictal for 12 years. My life went from a nightmare of being diagnosed with major clinical depression and anxiety disorder with racing thoughts to a normal life. I tried more antidepressants and combinations than I can count in the 3 years leading up to my rapid cycling bp2 diagnosis. I have minor hypomanic episodes a few times a year and only a few depressive episodes in the last 12 years. No side effects. Tonight I start Teva manufacturer generic. New insurance won't cover brand ($1100/mth) So scared if it will work. Doc says I'll know within 2 weeks. Had a baseline blood draw so I can compare my levels on brand vs. Generic."

Bp2 tx (taken for 10 years or more) December 1, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "My experience with lamictal is different for me in most cases. I used to take 25mg of lamictal. When I had taken the meds everyday I didn't feel any different from when I wasn't taking them. I had no side effects it was like taking air. So I kept having suicidal thoughts & being angry at 8am & by 8:30 am i was happy. I just had different moods every 30 mins. So i talked to my doctor and told her the meds werent working i told her how i was feeling so she gave me 100mg. Ever since then i have had no feeling what so ever. Like I can choose what to care about & what not to care about. I'll be fine all day and by 8-9 o'clock pm all of my bipolar & depression hits me like a wave of sadness that I feel like I'm drowning in. I guess its worth it.."

CookieMonster9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have bipolar disorder type 2 and I am on my second month of Lamotrigine (Lamictal), and I am already seeing results! I am on a small dosage, 50mg, and life is already so much easier. I have severe anxiety alongside my bipolar disorder, and as soon as my anxious urges begin to emerge (way too many times throughout the day) they are immediately suppressed. Although my mania is not completely under control due to my just starting it, it is under control compared to myself two months ago. My bipolar disorder was to the point where I would wake up one day extremely depressed and the very next day I could be horribly manic, rather than the highs and lows being spread over a prolonged period of time. I do have the rash, not severe though!!"

Madisonnnnn November 20, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lamotragine saved my life. The depression was so debilitating Except when extreme physical and emotional agitation, mostly caused by meds. 20 years of this (misdiagnosed for most of it). I'm so grateful I didnt get the rash. I lost a little hair in the beginning, but it stopped. No weight gain, and able to (healthily) lose the 50lbs I gained with lithium. But, I do struggle with insomnia, melatonin doesn't work so well for me. I took 150mg for 1st yr. 300 for past 3 years, but agitation is getting bad-I need to lower my stress, (all that stuff we're supposed to do) and possibly go up to 350/400."

Head Above Water (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 18, 2016