User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Schizoaffective Disorder 13 reviews 27 medications

7.1
Restless Legs Syndrome 1 reviews 14 medications

Summary of Lamotrigine reviews 724 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Lamotrigine

For Depression: "The medicine seemed to work okay. However after two weeks of 25 mg I increased to 50 mg and after 6 days of 50mg I was admitted in the hospital with aseptic meningitis. I didn't know at time it was from medication. I came home restarted medication and then started with rash so stopped medication. When I called my psych to tell him about rash and about recent hospital stay he told me Lamcital causes meningitis. I was told to stop medication immediately."

Renee12280 May 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This drug gave me brain damage and I almost failed out of college. I was a ballerina, but after this medication I couldn't keep balance anymore and couldn't dance. This drug actually ruined my life and it has taking several years for me to recover from the damage it caused me mentally and physically."

Anonymous May 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I've been taking lamictal for over 15 years. I have to be on a high dose which does give me side effects. My memory is very bad and my balance is a little off. For as much as the memory thing bothers me I'd rather have that than the alternative which is crazy. I hadn't tried "everything" before I tried lamictal but I tried enough meds to know how they did not work like lamictal did. It didn't happen over night. I had to ramp up very slowly not just because of the physical but to see how my mind was. It took about a year to get to my therapeutic dose and it was worth it. Talk to your Dr about everything it does to you. Work together"

3brikk (taken for 10 years or more) May 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've suffered from extreme depression and suicidal thoughts my entire life and would much less frequently have weeks or months of manic euphoria. After hitting a major low recently and actually planning to take my life I decided to get help and was prescribed Lamotrigine. Even at very first 25mg introductory dose I immediately felt that it was exactly what my brain needed. I actually cried, the way you might expect someone to if they had their vision or mobility restored. My thought was "where has this been my entire life?" I was ramped up for 5 weeks and have been on a full 200mg dose for the last few weeks. Though still feeling some mild depression, I haven't had a single suicidal thought ever since beginning treatment. No side effects!"

Urban Achiever May 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I don't think this works."

Nickolle May 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I haven't been diagnosed with bipolar, but my psychiatrist put me on this over a year ago for a mood disorder. She built me up to 200 mgs and about a year ago moved me to 150 mgs in the morning and another 150 mgs at night. It's not a miracle pill and I still feel down sometimes and happy at others, but overall I don't get super down like I used to. In conjunction with the other psychiatric medicine I am on, it helps to keep me stable and helps me deal with a very serious disease that I came down with about 3 years ago that has completely turned my world upside down."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "So, I feel like this did help stabilize me a little bit (with depressive states), but I ended up getting acne and redness all over my face. I also had my eyes feel all weird and twitchy. Overall, It was not super effective for me because I still had horrible anxiety and panic attacks and I could not titrate high enough to get effective coverage from the medication without weird side effects. I was only on 75mg maximum, mind you."

kcgirl08 May 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "It only took 4 doses of the 25mg starter pack to cause major issues for me. I experienced sleep disturbances that exacerbated my depression and anxiety. It's been a few days since my last dose and I'm still struggling with insomnia, panic and frequent tearfulness."

sleepygrl May 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on Lamictal for around 4-5 months. After my bipolar depression returned and wasn't being kept under control by my Seroquel and Prozac I did some research and saw Lamictal had decent reviews. My doctor started me on the medication and within a week I began to feel more energized, and happier. That was at 100 mg. I now believe the depression is coming back and I have been upped to 200 mg, along with 40mg of Prozac. The drug has done great things for me so far."

williamsbriana (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "It took 5 years of chronic pain, flashbacks galore, nightmares, loss of friends and family relations, loss of a lot now that I think about it. I read a post from someone that had similar experiences with losing their left arm due to PTSD, constant shaking, spasms, and asked my psychiatrist to prescribe lamictal. I HAVE MY ARM BACK AND CAN DRIVE AGAIN! My mood has been much better, and I see the world as an opportunity, rather than a reason to stay in bed. I highly recommend this medicine for others that have seeked out many other things, and had little results. I started on 25 mgs, and I'm now comfortable (no side effects other than feeling a little numb at first emotionally)."

Mouseoutofthehouse May 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Lamictal handles most of my symptoms, but I continue to deal with money issues and relationships."

Tom1948 May 8, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This drug has been a lifesaver so far. Especially considering the other "less-than-ideal" medication options for bipolar disorder."

Ellendahl May 8, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "The first year or so lamictal worked well for me. It took the edge off my hypomanic episodes and somewhat reduced the severity of my depressive episodes; however, the past year or so I have been experiencing lack of emotion, specifically noticed in my romantic relationships. I constantly feel as though the euphoric feeling had been halted and replaced with a content feeling. Coming from a hopeless romantic this is not the way I know I should be feeling. I'm wondering if others are experiencing the same? Also memory loss, cheek redness, lack of coordination, and dizziness have increased since taking lamictal"

Rocco241993 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 7, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Came out of the hospital after my first (and only) psychotic break and didn't really know what to do with myself. I was given the diagnosis of Bipolar I and was in need of a mood stabilizer. Because I usually run low, I was looking for a medication to combat my depressive symptoms and I can hardly begin to explain what a world of difference this medication has made. My mental state has been much better since reaching the therapeutic dose of 200mg. It took about 6 months to reach that dosage, and trust me when I say that I questioned its effictiveness during the whole time. But it's become clear to me this past year that Lamictal has enhanced my life. I was highly skeptical. This drug has made a drastic difference in my quality of life"

Ty Guy May 5, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I have been on Latuda since January 2015. And Cymbalta for several reasons, one being depression. Since November 2014, I was unable to get up and act like a normal human being. With suicidal ideations and one attempt. I was sleeping 24/7. I was unable to cope in a realistic manner. I had lost all hope, all joy, all energy, all motivation. Until 2 weeks ago. My insurance got changed so Latuda was no longer an option. I asked my doctor to put me on Geodon and Lamictel again. I slept 24/7 the first week, then some miracle happened. I started feeling alive and had energy and my mood was fantastic. To say my life has changed positively is an understatement. I am a normal acting person again. Only problem is weight gain. I think from Geodon."

Shalie May 4, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I take 200 milligram of lamotrigine and 60 milligrams of Prozac everyday. This has been very effective for my anxiety and depression. Though it took about four weeks on the Lamotrigine to stop with a dry mouth and headaches, I would have to say that would be the only downfall."

GG2017 May 4, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "This drug has been my savior. I started it first in 2015 but went off it because my dose was too high. I had an overblown fear of getting Lamictal rash or forgetting to take it consistently which can result in the need to restart the dosing up process. Six months ago I saw different psychiatrist who calmed me about the rare side effects and explained that If I missed a day that I didn't have to dose up again. I'm currently on 150mg. I still experience some bipolar II symptoms but they are completely manageable. A higher dose stopped my symptoms completely. I feel in control for the first time in my life after 20 years of suffering. For those like me who were misdiagnosed and had traumatic experiences with anti-depressants, don't be afraid"

JBbbb (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 3, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm a 23 year old female with bipolar II (I haven't had issues with hypomania since I was about 16 so my main issues are depression, anger, and anxiety). In the past I've been on lithium, seroquel, and abilify all of which were a nightmare for me with terrible side effects. I was so sick of the side effects that I stopped taking my medication cold turkey & was medication free for a couple years (I experienced a lot of bad depression during that time). I finally went back to my doctor about 3 years ago when the depression felt too unmanageable and got prescribed lamictal. It did wonders for me. I still struggle but the lamtical (100mg twice daily) makes it manageable combined with therapy and strict lifestyle changes. I experience NO side effects"

Keen93 May 1, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "OMG!!! This is working I can't believe this after all years of suffering I swear I'm crying right now not from depression but HAPPINESS, thank you lamictal I don't mind the loss of libido from risperdal that I'm still taking now the most important thing is that I'm normal and happy!! for all people suffering from bipolar 1 or 2 or other types there's a hope you deserve the best in this life."

ismpes (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "Hello all: My daughter has had some form of depression since high school. Where she has had therapy it wasn't recommended that she take medication. She has a safety plan in place, food, exercise etc. She seemed to manage the depression pretty well until college. She had never been on any antidepressants before and her first trip the the pshyc. they put her on lamictal 25 mg. My fear as a mom is that she is depressed not bipolor. She's only been on it for a week and where she presents more snippy/angry in her depression she has cried everyday on this medication. We don't have a follow up for a few weeks does anyone have any advise?"

Mom seeking advise April 26, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I have been seeing a counselor regarding some personal issues going on. She thought I was mildly autistic or had some sort of social disorder because she couldn't read my body language. I am in my mid 40s and work in PR. Nobody has ever brought it up. She said to go to a behavioral specialist anyway to see what they says. The Specialist diagnosed me with Cyclothemia, which seems to be bipolar light, or rather just moody. Certainly the latter is true. I'm not a fan of meds but this has really changed me, for the better I believe. If I forget to take it, boy can I tell. Not sure if it's withdrawals or how I used to feel. If I lose my insurance I can keep taking it. It's cheap thank goodness."

DJ_1970 April 26, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "It really does work amazingly! I am bipolar II. was originally diagnosed as having major depressive disorder, but my depression did fluctuate in intensity quite a bit, so my psychiatrist thought Lamictal could work and that I could bipolar. So I started Lamictal (ironically right before I started the Lamictal I started having hypomania and was then properly diagnosed as bipolar II) For weeks it really did not help much - and then I reached the full dose of 200mg. I've been on this dose for a month and have felt completely normal or virtually normal most of the time! The medication isn't perfect though, as the depression ocassionally comes on rather hard, but even when it does it is temporary and NOWHERE near as bad as it was before."

mmay27 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I guess I can't say much about it just yet, I've tried almost every antidepressant out there with basically no luck, so my doc suggested we try lamotrigine. (and funny how my review starts out like any other). I'm up to 50mg now, and I don't know if I notice any difference at all, no side effects either thus far, so at least thats good. if I notice any difference, I will update."

mindmaze (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lamotrigine is, hands down, the best bipolar medication I have used! It is highly effective for depressive episodes and has no side effects, for me. It also does not cause weight gain! I am rating 10 out of 10 for bipolar depression. I have combined it with an antipsychotic for mania; a highly effective combination for me. If you are struggling with bipolar depression, I highly recommend you speak with your doctor about giving lamotrigine a try. The risk of rash is low if you follow your doctor's instructions."

FrankieCasual April 19, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "27 years old and diagonised with Bipolar 2 today...yes, I'm scared. After many trial and errors in several medications including Lexapro, Zoloft, Seroquel, Ambien, Xanax, just to name a few...,I've just about given up hope. I'm nervous and excited to try Lamictal and I look forward to sharing another success story. I am wondering how long it takes for you to feel the positive effects"

Kaykay23 April 19, 2017