User Reviews for Lamotrigine

1 review 14 medications
Summary of Lamotrigine reviews 8.0 1,046 reviews

Reviews for Lamotrigine

lisa · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2019

For Anxiety: "I have terrible anxiety and 6mg of klonopin sometimes does not help. I am now wondering about lamictal and at what dose? "

D · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 23, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm 58 years old, diagnosed with bipolar 2 and PTSD. I'm on Seroquel, Lamotrigine, Abilify and now starting a course of Elavil (for fibromyalgia and migraine). I can't see where the Lamotrigine had made any kind of a difference. I'm still very irritable, throwing things, swearing. I had high hopes for this drug but it's not right for me. I've been in a mixed state for weeks with no relief."

Kuno78 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 21, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on this medication for about four months now. It certainly helps with depression, but I feel as though my anxiety has gotten progressively worse. I started to develop a mild rash on my face and a more concerning one on my backside after about two months. Knowing it wasn’t SJS, I dealt with it. Now the rash is getting worse and is so out of control I’m afraid I’m going to discontinue the medication. Numerous acquaintances whom were on lamictal claimed they had to stop due to a rash. It seems as though a rash is way too common and I believe the junk should be taken off the market."

Kitty5109 June 18, 2019

For Depression: "I started lamictal about 2 months ago off label to treat severe treatment resistant depression. I was titrated up too quickly and broke out in “the rash” on day 8. I was pretty bummed because I had noticed a drastic improvement in my mood. My doctor and I decided to stop the drug and wait a month after the rash was gone at a slow titration. The depression became unbearable and I began experiencing suicidal thoughts. I began lamictal again 5 days ago. My depression significantly lifted. I gave it a 9 because it did make my acne worse (who wants a face full of pimples at age 33?!) But I’ll treat the breakouts. I’d rather have acne than feel the way I did. I am praying the rash doesn’t return because this is saving my life. I suffer from anxiety too. This drug has helped with my social/generalized anxiety. I am nervous about the stories I have read about hair loss. I hope that doesn’t happen to me. In 9 more days I will go up to 50mg per day. This is a miracle drug!"

Autumn_soul · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 18, 2019

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on Lamictal for about nine months now. It is literally the THE BEST BIPOLAR MEDICATION I have come across. Right before going on Lamictal I was on the Abilify injection and although it kept me stable, it gave me a horrible side effect called Tardive Dyskinesia which for me showed up as uncontrollable mouth movements. My doctor recommended Lamictal after telling him my concern with the Tardive Dyskinesia. He first kept me on the Abilify and started on low dosages of Lamictal so that I can slowly ease into the new drug. If I remember correctly, he started me on 10mg, 25mg, 50mg, 100mg then finally 200mg which is what I am on now. I believe I have been on 200mg since about February of 2019. I don’t feel any weight gain, which I was very afraid of, although I don’t think it is one of the side effects of the drug. Please please consider this drug for stabilizing your mood for bipolar, you won’t regret it! :)"

Autumn Soul · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 18, 2019

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I’m 27 & have been on Lamictal for about nine months now. It is literally the THE BEST BIPOLAR MEDICATION I have come across. Right before going on Lamictal I was on the Abilify injection and although it kept me stable, it gave me a horrible side effect called Tardive Dyskinesia which for me showed up as uncontrollable mouth movements. I work as a hostess at a restaurant and customers will make comments such as “Are you tired? You are yawning!” Or “Are you chewing gum?” and it significantly affected my self-esteem. My doctor recommended Lamictal after telling him my concern with the Tardive Dyskinesia. He first kept me on the Abilify and started on low dosages of Lamictal so that I can slowly ease into the new drug. If I remember correctly, he started me on 10mg, 25mg, 50mg, 100mg then finally 200mg which is what I am on now. I believe I have been on 200mg since about February of 2019. Please consider this wonderful medication if you are struggling with bipolar disorder! :D"

Sandro · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 17, 2019

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have Bipolar II and Lamictal saved me. I was untreated until I was 40 years old and now I feel like a totally new person, open to people and situations that I would have been closed off to before. I was highly volatile, angry, and irrationally irritated all of the time, depressed, or hypomanic and nonsensical. I am none of those things any more. I am grateful for this drug because I think I wouldn't have made it much longer without it. I wish I had listened to the doctors years ago and tried this. My entire adult life until now has been clouded by this disability, but I am happy to have the chance to try again now."

alias · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 17, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was hypermanic off of just 5-10mg of lexapro so then got diagnosed with atypical bipolar disorder and I was switched to lamictal over a year ago. Apparently it’s one of the most effective mood stabilizers and my behavioral issues are worse without it but idk is it okay. I don’t know if i’ve become tolerant to it though."

Pinkalicious · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 10, 2019

For Anxiety: "Really helps keep mood swings with stress/anxiety at bay."

Beelershelby · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 10, 2019

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Lamictal has by far has been the very best medication in my entire life. It synced my brain and made my depression lifted 100%. I feel happy, organized, interested in life again!"

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 10, 2019

For Epilepsy: "I hate lamotrigine. My epilepsy has been controlled 100% while taking Dilantin for 38 years. My doctor highly recommended that I change Dilantin to Lamotrigine because Dilantin is a very old drug and has a long term side effect of memory loss. I really did not want to make this change but he managed to convince me. I made the change December 2018 and since then my life has turned upside down. No coordination, memory loss, cannot remember things that happened minutes before, constantly forgetting where I placed things. Worse of it all, I've been on the decline with making good decisions at work, speech, writing typing reading difficulties. I truly felt that I have early signs of Alzheimer of dementia. I could not stand it. I finally insisted to my doctor to go back to dilantin immediately. I am now back on Dilation for 3 days and I am just praying to God I will get back to normal again."

Within24Hours · Taken for less than 1 month June 10, 2019

For Depression: "I cannot take antidepressants as I have lupus and it results in significant hair loss. With that I have battled depression and anxiety for years with no treatment with fear I’d lose my hair... again. I got to a point where I needed something and the doctor recommended lamictal. Within 24 hours I felt the change from this medication. On day two I felt like a new person. I feel like me. No increased anxiety. I’m beyond grateful."

Karomer · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "My doctor started me on lamotrigine after having manic episodes on SSRIs. I love lamictal, it works wonders for me. No side effects whatsoever. No more feelings of numbness and anger and frustration. Thank you lamictal, Thank you science."

samantha June 5, 2019

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Lamictal has been great for my bipolar disorder! Only 10 days on the medication and I’m slowly increasing the dosage. Within less than 2 weeks I began feeling better, more stable. No more sudden emotional outbursts, overreacting over small matters, getting angry and going off on the people I love. I feel like I’m going back to my old self, and it’s definitely significantly improved the quality of all my relationships. I’m so thankful for this medication."

C · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 5, 2019

For Depression: "I’ve been on Lamictal for 5 years at 200 mg, I still have severe depression & cry almost everyday, I have a lot going on in my life so maybe that’s why nothing is working, I am also on 10 mg of Lexapro, still depressed, hard to get out of bed & going in the morning. I look forward to sleep so I don’t have to think about anything. I feel like all the meds I’ve tried either don’t work or make me gain a ton of weight if I knew Lamictal had these awful side effects including depression I would have never started it, going to try & wean off of it slowly"

Dani · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 3, 2019

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I don't wanna ever be without lamictal again. I've tried a lot psych meds over the years but they either didn't work or had unbearable side effects. SSRIs should NOT be used for bipolar I or 2...many docs still don't know this. Lamictal controlled my moods and relieved depression with NO side effects. Nothing is a cure so you have to want to get better and work at it also. I love it, no one is the same, but please try it because it changed my life."

Olivia · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 29, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "Tried an SSRI unsuccessfully before being prescribed Lamictal. Took over a month to kick in, but when it did it completely changed my life. Started with 25mg, only on a 50mg dose now two years later and it has helped so much. No more suicidal thoughts, and an overall more even mood, without fogginess. Only side effect for me was lowered arousal, but that was a small price to pay for how helpful this medication is."

Jfb · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2019

For Anxiety: "Lamictal made my anxiety worse. With each increase in dosage I became more agitated. I stopped at 100mg and stayed on it for one month; during that month I experienced more panic attacks than I'd ever had in such a short time. My dr weaned me off and my anxiety got better. We are now trying a different medication."

Medperson · Taken for 10 years or more May 26, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've taken Lamictal/Lamotrigine for ten years. My anxiety and depression were very bad, nothing could make me feel better. I was started at the lowest dose and felt a slight improvement the next day. By the time I was up to 100mg. I felt great again. Then I was raised from 100mg to 200mg. I should have stayed at 100mg. I've been through some very bad times these last 10 years, and have not gone into a medical depression. I feel that is due to lamictal. I now take 100mg. I gave it a 7 instead of a ten, because I'm very unorganized now, and I used to be very organized. My memory is bad now, and I have trouble coming up with the right word when I'm talking. I also used to read books a lot, and now can't seem to stay focused. But, I'll never get off Lamictal completely. One thing I'll never forget is how anxious and depressed I was before Lamictal. It saved my life. It helped me get out of a 20 year bad marriage, without a breakdown."

Ems Moms · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 24, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "This is about my daughter...not me... My daughter is 20 years old and has bipolar disorder... She has suffered with this for the last six years...she has seen four psychiatrists...a few therapists...etc...she had to get her GED...she had to drop out of college three times because her moods were not being controlled by ANYTHING. We tried it all she was also committed twice for mania and depression. Her new Psych put her on lithium last year and it stopped the mania, but no SSRI would pull her out of the severe depression she was in for so long and she tried like eight different ones! Finally she got prescribed Lamictal and within a week she was her old self, happy, no more mixed episodes, no more sadness and she was humming and laughing. She said she felt like the last six years were a blur. She had to titrate slowly and she is only on 50 mg right now, but man what a difference. If you are bipolar I highly recommend you try this first, it worked wonders for us ...blessings...:)"

Alex · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2019

For Anxiety: "After a week on Lamotrigine my suicidal thoughts got worse. I was prescribed this medicine for anxiety but it only made my anxiety worse."

Jason · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 21, 2019

For Depression: "I started lamictal during a life upheaval leading to acute, severe depression and after a bad reaction to lexapro (worsening depression and suicidal). Starting at Lamotrigine 25mg within 1 to 2 days I felt immediate relief. I worked up to 75mg and stuck with that for several months. Circumstance lead to worsening depression and went to 150mg once daily and now at 200mg and holding steady. I have stopped years of benzo, Ativan, Klonopin, Xanax. Now only take Lamictal. This medication provides a wall against depressive thoughts, behaviors. Also mood swings and rage issues that I suffered most of my life are almost completely absent. This med has given me a chance to live happily even during times of great change and struggle. Time to time I consider going off, but I'm afraid of relapse. Have been taking 3 years."

Jules · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 21, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lamotrigine worked great on levelling my moods out from bipolar and I felt normal for the first time in a long time. Was only on it a month though as came out in an all over body rash (side effect) and had to stop it which was disappointing as it worked so well."

Cheri · Taken for less than 1 month May 19, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "After being on many meds for bipolar and depression over the 20 years I was put on lamotrigene 25 mg to start off, then after 2weeks was titrated up to 50mg. The first day of taking the 50 mg dose I noticed a difference in my mood, I felt finally found a med that worked! Next day took it again and broke out in a rash head to toe. I went to ER right away and they said to stop taking the lamotrigene as it was allergic reaction and gave me benadryl and prednisone to take for 5 days for the allergic reaction. I must also add I am on 10mg of celexa and also have fatty liver disease. I go back tomorrow to Dr that prescribed this as I'm petrified to take the Prednisone because of my liver. I am very distraught over this...."

JacksonFive · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 17, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: "I usually take a combo of meds to help stabilize my mood. Lamictal is Ok for irritability but my mind is never clear. Depakote ER seems to be stronger and more effective but it effects my liver enzymes. I'm weaning off Lamictal and starting Trileptal but the transition has been terrible. I'm glad Lamictal is helping others but it is not effective for me."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)