User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Schizoaffective Disorder 10 reviews 28 medications

Anxiety 12 reviews 63 medications

6.5
Summary of Lamotrigine reviews 563 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Lamotrigine

For Bipolar Disorder: "Sadly, this drug did not work for me. I was on the side affects end of the spectrum near it killing me. After a few days I developed a slightly raised rash on my thigh and it turned into a bruise (caused internal bleeding like a bruise). I stopped taking it as soon as I was sure it wasn't just rosy skin. It seemed to come and go the second and third day. Well the damaged tissue and bruise took a long time to go away. It was scary. I'm now labeled as having an allergy to it. It was an extremely strong reaction my doctor said."

Slynnnss (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Hey so i just started taking Lamotrigine 100g very recently, literally a week. I have been fine all week and I was becoming very positive. I did not want it to change my personality as i am generally quite a hyper person, in the sense that, I was apprehensive about becoming mellow perhaps. It did not make me mellow at all and I was very happy about that. I have been happy and stable the entire week however today I am having a very down day. Is that normal? why am I having a down day? I literally cannot break myself out of this hole that randomly came today."

Suzanne O July 8, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "After suffering from manic episodes of depression and rapid mood cycles that have been uncontrollable for most my life, Lamotrigine allowed the mood swings to lessen and become more manageable. The drug lessened the intensity of the depression, and took the edge off. I felt able to rationalise my feelings, and also control anger ourbursts better. The best way I can describe the effectiveness is that they take the edge of the intensity of bad mood swings. Negatives: According to my doctor and a lot of things I've read, Lamotrigine is unsuitable for Bi Polar Type 1. I also found once I'd increased my dosage to 250ml, my moods were too suppressed and so eventually lowered my dose and came off them altogether. i am now back on them."

Ricky666 July 7, 2016

For Depression: "I titrated up to 100mg. After a couple weeks on 100mg, I started getting tired in the afternoon, cried most mornings, and had no motivation. It definitely made my depression worse."

J_J July 5, 2016

For Anxiety: "I've had a seizure disorder for 10 years but hadn't had a tonic-clonic in about 6 years, so I've been off Lyrica for a year. I have GAD, PTSD & minor depression-but the massive anxiety nearly killed me, I had become borderline agoraphobic, could not slow my heart down, lost 90lbs in 2 yrs-really thought I was dying & actually reached the point of being ok with death as long as the anxiety stopped. I've been on benzos for years, but need to get off. I was admitted to the hospital for chest pains and mid Ativan push, had a t-c seizure. Enter Lamictal. Today is day one. My heart rate is normal. The bald eagles/vultures in my stomach (not butterflies) are gone. I feel more relaxed than I can ever remember. Fearless. Thank God."

TheAnxiousEpileptic (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have suffered for years, with the obvious issues of relationships, work and crap that goes with this disease. I had to fight for lactimal with my GP, which is a very British issue, but I am now beginning to feel great. I have never been so positive and focused and I am not manic. I no longer feel the pain, although I have had the odd moment when my body wanted to slide back to what it is ised to and know. Please, please, anybody that needs help ask for this. It is a lifesaver!"

danblas (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "First I want to thank you all for your helpful reviews. It helped me to do my own research so I can suggest my choice of treatment to my psychiatrist, rather than just trusting the one he suggests. After being diagnosed bipolar 2, he suggested another med. I strongly advocated for Lamictal. I tapered up to 200mg, on a conservative schedule. I've had good results over the past 9 months. It definitely has lowered the instances of hypomania, or at least deescalated the intensity. It's done little to address the depression or anxiety, so we've agreed to add anti-depressant. Again, he suggested Cymbalta, which I opposed due to the all the information regarding withdrawal syndrome. We agreed on a low dose of Prozac which is going well so far."

bobby1977 (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2016

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "This medicine has given me my life back, after suffering from BPD, PTSD, manic depression and paranoia for years and trying every medication under the sun with no luck, Lamictal (at 200 mg a day) has made me feel alive again. I have energy, I can think straight, and my highs and lows are less frequent and the lows are much easier to deal with. It really feels like a miracle pill!"

Akupox June 17, 2016

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Saved my life"

Anonzi77 June 12, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lamictal has been a major eye opener for me. I was astonished when the medication started to take effect (within a week or two), at how my condition was affecting my daily life. Since being on 200 mg per day I am able to wake up on time for work, attend my softball and hockey games, socialize with my friends, and take control of my life. I've spent the last 3 to 4 years in constant turmoil, jumping from medication to medication, trying various cocktails. Most of these had major side ffects that made them unbearable in the long run. Lamictal on the other hand has virtually 0 side effects, and almost 100% symptom control. I would recommend it to anyone suffering with Bipolar II."

Unequivocally_ June 7, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Still have major depressive episodes lasting 3-6 months. Also, weight gain and itchy scalp."

lane wolf June 4, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This medication has been very helpful as a mood stabilizer, along with Seroquel and Klonopin. It keeps me more "even." Although I have breakthrough depression and some manic symptoms here and there, for most part, it's been useful when it comes to preventing full-blown episodes, along with the other meds. I hope it continues to do so. I take 200 mg total daily. I haven't noticed any side effects, and I've been pretty consistent taking it. Lamictal takes a long time to titrate up. It's done me a lot of good. I'm working long hours and living a productive life."

xRavenx (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 4, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "After a Med cocktail of Xanax (for sudden anxiety attacks), Zoloft, Lithium, Klonopin (for everyday anxiety) & Wellbutrin, I still felt severely depressed & eventually suicidal. I went to my psychiatrist in extreme distress with a constant stream of tears. She sent me to an inpatient facility where they put me on Lamictal. Within 7 days, I felt a drastic difference; stable, focused, even bubbly (but not manic). I take 50 mg (25 in the AM; 25 in the PM). I am so thankful for this medicine!"

Mona Lisa (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have only been on lamictal for a few months now. I am able to attend class again function at work and this is the first time in 3 years I've home without some form of severe beak."

Jojojojojojojo May 30, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder 2 with my new psychiatrist last November. (Had 2 different hospital stays with same diagnosis, just didn't want to believe it.) started lamitcal at 50mg in November, and now I take 200mg daily and it's nice to feel like there's color in my world. Brought me out of a depressive episode and I've been very content with this medicine. Feels like it fits just for me after many trials and errors with antidepressants. Definitely feels like a veil has been lifted off me and the world even seems happier. I do have my off days , but they are just days and not weeks. I did have intense diarrhea when I started the 200mg and headaches but I don't notice any side effects at all now that I once had before. Very grateful."

Veevvv May 23, 2016

For Depression: "I have suffering with mental illness for sometime now. Been on quite a few meds and nothing seemed to help with my depression. My doc put me on Lamictal starting at 25 mg now up to 100 mg for about 2 months now. This medication has really changed my life for the better! The depression is sooo much less and able to function. I would recommend this drug."

Sol1 May 22, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Have been on Lamotrigine for 3 years at 125 mg per day. It has levelled out my moods dramatically. Really helps me to manage life. No noticeable side effects in that time."

Telecaster May 22, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've taken Lamictal since 2002 and combined with two other drugs, I've been symptom free from bipolar since 2002."

Brightster (taken for 10 years or more) May 21, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This has been the best medicine for lifting my mood from severe depression due to bipolar. I have come along way. If you have not tried this I recommend it highly. I do take this with cymbalta, but I was on it years ago by itself and got good results. Give it a try."

Feefee40215 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Wellbuetrin (get off the couch). Zoloft (be happy). Pristiq (be happier). Xanax (chill out). Adderall (get 'er done, efficiently). Dexilant (ulcer, of course). Lisinopril (blood pressure). Up. Down. Up. Down. and then....because I felt so awful and helpless, pain pills. I'm a smart girl. I understand the epidemic and the risk of addiction, but didn't care. Went into new Dr. (one that finally didn't just take out a prescription pad and ask me "what do you want?", but asked questions to better understand me. The plan? To taper off a ton of these drugs (not cold turkey), and prescribed Lamictal. Game changer. Less meds for liver. More money in my pocket. More genuine calmness and happiness. Seriously, game changer"

PickOne (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "This drug helps raise my mood slightly in the mornings. However, it also has side-effects of dizziness and headiness. This is especially true after two to six hours after you miss a dose."

Ady Miles (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 16, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Following about 4 months of being in a depressed state for little to no apparent reason (things were going good in my life), I added Lamictal to what I was taking. Along with Lithium, I took Lamictal for Bipolar. Lamictal worked very effectively to remove depression in a week. The issue was that I got out of depression so quickly, that I actually entered into a moderate manic episode. The episode did not lead to hospitalization, but had many of the elements that manic episodes have involving spending and lack of sleep and grandious thoughts and behavior. I didn't experience any negative side effects with the drug, and I just think for me the drug jolted me too much. No rash or anything, just scared me since I entered the manic."

Manuel231 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2016

For Depression: "I was off medication for about one year while seeing a therapist when I decided to seek out a psychiatrist and try again. I explained to my psychiatrist that I feel as though my depression is secondary to my mood instability and the problems it continues to cause in my personal life. I said I didn't feel comfortable trying another anti-depressant due to prior bad experiences (self-harm, suicidal thoughts, etc). He suggested a mood stabilizer (Lamictal/lamotrigine). I started out at 50mg, then 100mg, 150mg, 200mg.. Honestly, it did nothing for me. If anything, I feel like it increased my symptoms. Long story short, I ended up in the ER two days ago due to a self-induced overdose.. Would never try it again, but just my personal experience."

Katie080392 May 15, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Since I'm on this medication, my bipolar 2 symptoms have disappeared and life became much easier for me. Since than, I live a much active and healthier life . I was diagnosed at the age of 57 years old...After years of problematics I finally look at life in a more positive way."

triple a May 13, 2016

For Depression: "After 10 years of having nearly every SSRI' and SNRI work and then fail, I developed Sertonin Syndrome on a cocktail of both. I was so afraid to try any antidepressant...but my depression became life-threatening. I'm on only 50 mg. of lamictal (going slow!) for a month...and I am becoming cheerful! Amazing. I do have a slight facial rash I'm carefully watching. No other side effects."

marisol3 (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2016