User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal XR, Subvenite, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT

Lamotrigine has an average rating of 7.7 out of 10 from a total of 1,538 ratings on Drugs.com. 72% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 16% reported a negative experience.

Bipolar Disorder
Restless Legs Syndrome  Off-label
Summary of Lamotrigine reviews 7.7 1,538 reviews

Reviews for Lamotrigine

Kay · Taken for less than 1 month · December 29, 2020

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: “I've tried almost all meds for depression/bipolar but no success. I started Lamictal 25mg about 4 weeks ago and I'm currently on 50mg per day. It has really lifted my depression. It's the best medication I have ever taken for bipolar. I have more energy, less irritable, less appetite and increased sexual desire. However, it has some side effects (insomnia, nausea, mild constipation and pains on my sides) which are all gradually fading away. I also take 40 mg Prozac per day. Lamictal is a wonder drug. I haven't reached the therapeutic level. I'm titrating slowly. I felt a great need to do this review to help others because other people reviews have helped me in the past. Good Luck and God bless.”

Jewls86 · Taken for 1 to 2 years · August 25, 2020

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: “I have been on this drug Lamictal total time of 14 months. I've been able to drop my Bipolar meds down from 4 different kinds to just lamictal only for four months now. My experience is one for the books. Diagnosed with bipolar I had tried so many different kinds of medications. My medicine cabinet looked like a freaking pharmacy. Now I am down to one drug a day! That drug is lamictal!!!! Literally my saving grace. All the psychiatrist I saw. All the different medication combinations I had tried only scratched the surface. My newest psychiatrist suggested this drug. I was skeptical because none of the other Drs I saw suggested it and I didn't know it existed. This drug is a miracle.... It has changed how I live. How I care for my kids. How I see the world. The best part is I'm me again.”

rd · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 5, 2021

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: “Male, 33 years old. I've been on Lamictal for 4 months after diagnosed with cyclothymia. Started with 50 mg, now 100 mg once a day. Mood swings all my life, often irritable, easily became angry. Spent $$, got into debts massively, never worked at one place for more than a few months. Lucky to find the right psychiatrist who put me on Lamictal. In my country (Russia) not many docs are familiar with bipolar spectrum disorders treatment and even less prescribe Lamictal. After taking the first 50 mg everything changed immediately. I became calmer, more stable, feel much more comfortable in public places and in communication with people, more confident, more present, more relaxed. Before I had a feeling that everyone around is constantly looking at me and even judging, couldn't talk by phone if someone is near me. Although my highs are still a bit too high, my lows are 80 % better. Surely, I'm going to continue taking Lamictal.”

Maddayy · Taken for 1 to 6 months · November 15, 2019

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: “I had been empty, depressed doesn’t justify the way I was living my life. No matter how hard I tried, what medication I took. I couldn’t “mom”, House a MESS, relationships failing, Job on the line, alcohol being my go to. I started lamictal about 2 months ago and haven’t had one day where I felt like I couldn’t make it through. I got a promotion, my laundry is done at all times, dishes washed, cooking dinner on the regular, I can get out of bed on Sundays which was a routine for years. Lamictal was my miracle for bipolar depression. Easy to say without it, I don’t know if I would be here. Now I WANT to be here, I want to succeed, self develop. Started reading self help books, listening to motivational podcasts. If you feel like there is nothing that will help you I highly recommend taking a chance on lamictal. After all, when you have bipolar depression, what do you really have to lose?? DO IT.”

Kate · June 4, 2020

For Anxiety: “I never review meds but I feel like I’m doing a disservice but not sharing. SO PLEASE READ! I was prescribed lamotrigine at my lowest point. I was struggling with anxiety, panic attacks, depression and PMMD. I was facing constant intrusive thoughts about death and sadness. I came home from the doctors after being prescribed and read these reviews and bawled my eyes out. I was so afraid of taking this medication. Yet, I needed something to help ASAP. I have now been taking lamotrigine for 3 months and my anxiety is much lower, my emotions are not out of control before my period and I have more peace of mind. I don’t have any bad side affects. My biggest recommendation is to start with a low dose (50mg) and after two weeks (100mg). I feel like taking more than this ups your chance of having a bad reaction. We are all different so there is no guarantee. Just know that this website is usual used if you have had a relatively bad experience so take that into consideration.”

Mentally well❤️ · Taken for 1 to 6 months · August 26, 2020

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: “I’ve taken this drug Lamictal for about 7 weeks now and guess what? My life has turned so positive! I am a way happier and stable human. I no longer lash out or get mad over any little thing that would trigger a manic stage. I’ve been able to deal with stress without freaking out, literally can't believe it! I highly recommend this to anyone with bipolar!!!! Good luck and God bless”

benjaminertley · Taken for 1 to 6 months · June 30, 2021

For Borderline Personality Disorder: “I am a person that never writes reviews, however, if I can help just one person from feeling the way I used to feel—it’s beyond worth it. My entire life I felt different, as if I was experiencing the world entirely different than most everyone else—funny thing is, I actually was. After trying numerous medications for ADHD, and severe depression/anxiety, I was finally given the option of Lamictil as a last resort. And let me tell you, after being on it for two months I haven’t been this happy since I was a child. To everyone suffering from BPD or Bipolar disorder, THIS STUFF WORKS! Please give it a try and you will feel the transformation after a month of two. There IS help and I pray that each and everyone of you likeminded people get the aid you need. Thanks to god, Lamictil, and my doctor for setting me free of the misery that was my life. God bless you all, much love.”

CJ · September 25, 2020

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: “I was put on lamictal for Borderline Personality Disorder/PTSD/Anxiety/Major Depressive. The only noticeable side effects for me were slight irritability and becoming more easily frustrated than usual in the beginning, along with drowsiness after taking the nightly dose. I can honestly say that after working out the kinks, this medication has changed my life. I have more energy, I sleep better, and I am able to let go of less than ideal situations instead of being consumed by them. I no longer default to self harm and suicidal ideation, and my thoughts are much less hyperbolic and more aware/rooted in reality. I cannot remember the last time I was this stable and happy. I have not experienced any rashes or physical changes other than my appetite slightly decreasing and losing a bit of weight. 150mg is definitely the sweet spot for me and I do not intend to increase my dose at this time. I would highly recommend this medication, especially if you are like me and have exhausted every other option.”

Suzy Q · Taken for less than 1 month · January 12, 2020

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: “Ok, so I've been on several different antidepressants and antipsychotics to no avail. When my Doctor suggested lamictal I thought ok, here we go again..... well I just want to say I've been on 25mg for 2 weeks and just upped the dose to 50mg 2 days ago. I honestly feel so much better. She said it could take weeks, but it literally took about 5 days to notice a difference. My racing thoughts and deep depression are getting better daily. It's such a relief. I finally have some hope. I don't want to die every second of the day. The only other Medication I take is Ativan as needed. Don't give up! I can't believe this is actually working!!!”

Iz · Taken for 1 to 2 years · March 10, 2020

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: “Lamictal has completely changed my life. I take it in conjunction with a low dose of abilify, and the combination has kept me from having manic/depressive for about a year straight now, something I never thought possible. At first I was just on abilify— a pretty high dose— and while it kept me free from hypomania, it didn’t really do much for the depression. Lamictal, on the other hand, has worked wonders in that respect. Very little side effects— I wake up nauseous but it fades after about an hour, and it’s definitely worth it. Other than that, no weight gain, and I believe it may have actually increased my previously nonexistent sex drive. The best part of lamictal is that I don’t feel flat or subdued. I’m still having the normal ups and downs of life, but for the first time, I feel pretty confident that they’re not bipolar related. It’s really been a miracle drug for me.”

Catlady · Taken for 10 years or more · August 24, 2020

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: “Have successfully managed my bi polar since 1999 with Lamictal. On 400 mg/day for last 10 years. The only issues sometimes get dizzy on step ladder (I avoid) blurry vision late night, a little flat, increased sex drive. I went undiagnosed for 35 years. This drug has saved my life! I’ll take a little flat over crying for days at a time or 5 days straight, no sleep, cooking and repainting and redecorating 3 rooms in the house. In those 5 days. That including DIY furniture and window treatments and yes, spending $ I didn’t have! I have several businesses, cash in bank, bills paid, fairly reg sleep. Lamictal saved my life after my divorce 21 yrs ago.”

Sb123 · October 25, 2019

For Anxiety: “I have struggled with anxiety off and on over the years. I tried SSRI’s in the past and those never gave me much of any relief. I got to a point where I was in a downward spiral of anxiety (crazy thoughts, wild mood swings, uneasy digestive issues, sleep issues, etc). I decided to give medicine another shot. My doc prescribed me lamictal and now on 100mg. I am MUCH more stable. I don’t have the crazy intrusive thoughts as much and my perspective on life is much more positive. It did not make me dull or any other negative side effect. It just gradually allowed me to be myself again and enjoy life. Please do know that medication in general can absolutely help. Do not listen to outsiders who do not understand how you feel. Medication is a personal option that you should feel no judgment about. If it helps you then that’s all that matters! It may take awhile to find the right medication for you but it is worth it. Never give up. There is something that will help you.”

Sarah · Taken for 1 to 6 months · December 10, 2019

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: “I've struggled undiagnosed with Bipolar2 for years- many times having it labeled and treated as depression (Prozac, Wellbutrin, etc, all of which helped the depression but made me manic). The one time I was told it could be bipolar 2 at age 25, the diagnosis scared me (the idea of being on medication for the rest of my life did too) so I decided to go off of all meds and "handle it on my own" 7 years later, after multiple tumultuous relationships, tons of $ spent shopping, and some extreme bouts of both depression and hypomania I finally started on this medication Lamictal. I have been on it for about 6 weeks and am up to 100mg and I finally know what "normal" feels like.. and it's not racing thoughts 24/7 or snapping on loved ones at the drop of a hat. Almost no side effects. ”

JJ · December 22, 2019

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: “I've struggled with bipolar ii since I was a teenager, unfortunately it was misdiagnosed as depression until I was in my 60's. As you can imagine I've been prescribed everything available beginning first with what were called "tricyclics" which were medications like Mellaril (thioridazine) Elavil (amitriptyline) to the SSRI's such as Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro Celexa and several others. I took other types of medications for depression or anxiety too many to mention all with varying and limited levels of success some were helpful for a time others not at all that was until I was diagnosed bipolar ii and prescribed lamictal. This medication along with psychotherapy has had a profound effect on my life I have to say I've never felt better”

k · Taken for 1 to 2 years · October 10, 2020

For Anxiety: “I have taken lamotrigine for years with no side effects. It takes approximately 1.5-2 months for lamotrigine to take full effect. Side effects are typically avoided by starting at very low doses (I started at 25 mg once a day) and slowly increasing the dose over time. Taking higher doses too rapidly or without physician consultation increases risks of side effects, and you shouldn't expect to see full results within a couple days or even a couple weeks. I hope this helps someone feel less anxious about trying out this medication and feel more informed! (I am educated on this topic because I'm an MD student.)”

Angel · Taken for 1 to 6 months · February 18, 2020

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: “When I started taking it I had the worst side effects (dizziness, diarrhea, blured vision, nausea). Some days, I couldn't go to class. I started with 25mg and went all the way to 150mg. But it is really working. I've been taking it for 4 months and I never been this stable in my life. I feel good, better than ever. I underestimated the illness, but medication is the key. Therapy helps a lot too.”

Jay · Taken for 1 to 6 months · February 10, 2020

For Depression: “the first day on lamitrogine has been an absolute life changer! I was having severe hopeless depression paired with anxiety. My moods seemed to shift from one to another triggered by hormones or stress. It developed into eating disorder over time untreated. I've tried every SSRI and off label blood pressure meds etc. I always have them a good run and they always had a lot of side effects and made my original symptoms worse. Then after research I asked my psychiatrist for lamictal. I had 0 side effects!! I started at a dose of 25mg for 2 weeks and am at the end of 2 weeks on 50mg. I felt the difference by the second week of 25mg and even more at 50mg. I have felt so hopeful and excited at times in perfectly healthy ways and depression and anxiety is all but gone. I don't feel doped up at all just a better version of me than I have ever felt. Also unlike SSRIs this doesn't impact sex drive and if I get pregnant it's safe. Love and plan to stay on it for a long time. It's worth it!”

DeeB · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · August 24, 2019

For Depression: “Lamictal has changed my life!!! I have had medication resistant depression for over 30 years. I am now 60. Have been on every med out there only to keep from being suicidal at best. Was on abilify for 3 or 4 years with Viibryd. Gained 30 lbs and cholesterol went sky high. So as a last resort decided to try lamictal. I am on 150mg and 30mg of Viibryd. It has totally changed my life. I am no longer depressed at ALL! My friends and family are amazed at the difference they see in me. I am socializing with people and taking care of myself again. I think I feel better than I did before being diagnosed with depression. Now I know we all react to meds differently but if you are having trouble finding something that works this is worth a try. I have major depression, not bipolar. I say that because most things I read about using lamictal was to help with bipolar. But it can also help as an add on to your antidepressant. I thank GOD I found out about it.”

Cam · Taken for 1 to 2 years · September 17, 2020

For Borderline Personality Disorder: “I was first on topamax for my borderline personality disorder which my body didn’t agree with and almost shut my liver down. I got Wellbutrin XL 150mg, which helped but made me super angry, my doctor then added in Lamictal 100mg (starting from the lowest dose and gradually increasing) and it cancelled out the anger they Wellbutrin caused and the two work phenomenally well for me. Like a lot of people on here they say they felt the effects immediately, I can vouch for that. It put my brain into a zen state and I got my laid back nature back. Mind you this only worked for me along with seeing a therapist and working out constantly. Medication helps set the bar, but you gotta do the work to get to where you want to be. I believe in you.”

Anonymous · October 2, 2019

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: “My whole life I was depressed. I started using drugs at age 16. Which led to a 17 year battle with depression and addiction. It was like no matter where I was my mind would tell me I didn't belong. I've been taking this medicine for a year and a half. It is NOT a coincidence I got sober and haven't picked up a drug since. Its not a coincidence I'm a mom again, a friend and a daughter. This medicine allowed me to breath and swing with the flow of life optimistically. Its mild so its perfect. This medicine saved my life. Literally.”

Pickle · Taken for less than 1 month · December 13, 2019

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: “I am an extremely sensitive person and my depression is easily triggered. I have BPD, PTSD, MDD, and ADD(inattentive). I do not have Bipolar Disorder, but this medication has helped me tremendously with mood swings. I used to have a mental breakdown almost every day from intrusive thoughts. I am feeling much better now. I am taking a low dose of only 25 mg. I request to start on the lowest dose possible of any medication and work my way up. I notice a lot of people are leaving negative reviews because of side effects. I have had no negative side effects and I do not plan to increase my dosage. Remember that the higher the dose you take of any medication, the greater the risk is for side effects. I would recommend giving this medication a chance!”

J · March 2, 2021

For Anxiety: “I started on lamictal as I have bad mood swings, depression, severe anxiety, and OCD type thoughts. This medication was a life saver, I thought. I started at 25mg and noticed very positive changes. My anxiety got better. When I went to 37.5mg my anxiety stopped, OCD thoughts stopped, depression stopped, I was so happy I thought I found the medication for me. When I went up to 50 mg I got a small rash, my anxiety and thoughts spiralled out of control, my depression worsened, I felt suicidal. Now I am trying to get off the medication. I’m very sad. Has this happened to anyone else?”

Lynny · March 4, 2021

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: “Since taking lamictal 100 mg daily, I seem to be sharper, can multi-task again and my energy level is very steady. Emotional pain and distractability are much more controlled. I feel like myself again. I HOPE IT LASTS”

George · Taken for 2 to 5 years · August 22, 2019

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: “After struggling off and on with depression this medication Lamictal literally saved my life. I bounced from antidepressant to antidepressants praying something would work but nothing did. I had everything in my life so it was so frustrating. It felt like my soul had been sucked out of me. I no longer wanted to live. This disease cost me a marriage a son and a job. Life is so good now. I owe my life literally to Lamitcal. Please don't ever give up!!!!”

E · Taken for 1 to 6 months · October 30, 2019

For Depression: “I'm diagnosed ADHD, anxiety, depression and PTSD and have been in a very dark place for months and very depressed and anxious and suicidal thoughts. I'm on several medications for months, Venlafaxine, Wellbutrin and Vyvanse which are little to no help. Lamictal was added and I'm now on 100 mg daily in the morning and my depression is entirely gone and so is my anxiety. I don't get mood swings anymore, I am calmer and less pessimistic. I've had no side effects except some minor itching upon dose increases lasting for a day or so. I don't feel emotionally numb. I just feel like a calmer, more logical, happier version of myself. I've tried so many medications over the years for my depression and anxiety (over 20) and this is the first one to truly help. A miracle medication for me. It can take time to find the right medications for you but don't give up hope.”