User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Schizoaffective Disorder 10 reviews 28 medications

Anxiety 12 reviews 63 medications

6.5
Summary of Lamotrigine reviews 582 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Lamotrigine

For Epilepsy: "Hi I'm Grace, I've been taking lamotrigine for about six months now… I absolutely despise it… it really doesn't work for my epilepsy I have been trying to get it changed for months now but my neurologist is hard to get appointments with. I still have my seizures at least 5 times a day and because it really doesn't work it's hard to remember to take it sometimes but I almost always take it. It also made me gain some weight and not be able to lose it. I don't recommend this medicine "

Grace Douthett August 30, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This medicine probably saved my life. After being misdiagnosed with severe depression, I had been on a high dose of Prozac which led me to a near suicide attempt. Switching psychologists, I was diagnosed with bipolar 2, taken off of the Prozac and put on this medication and almost immediately noticed a difference. They told me that I shouldn't feel a difference until at least 150mgs but I felt it at 75mgs. I'm currently on 400mgs which is usually the highest for treating bipolar. It is also used to treat epilepsy, and people with epilepsy take thousands of mgs a day, so it I felt safer when experimenting with it. The only reason I gave it a 9 is that it doesn't completely hold me over when I have overwhelming emotions. Adding Trileptal now."

Anchor3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 30, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have BP II. I LOVE Lamictal(lamotrigine). I was scared to go on it at first, because of the life-threatening rash listed as one of the side-effects, but it has done wonders for my mood and my life. This, taken with Lithium has literally been God-send! Lamictal straightened my mood right up!"

NightOwlie (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 30, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Lamictal worked like a charm on my mood. I so pleasantly surprised and relieved! I've tried something like 10 medications in an 11-year period and it's been the only thing that's worked. However, it gave me really bad back acne (like, whoa) and made me very physically ill- super swollen lymph nodes in my neck, fever, vomiting & fatigue, etc. I had to stop taking it, but I'd say it's definitely worth a try. In general I'm very susceptible to side effects. I have hypomania, depression, anxiety, ADHD, my mood is super unstable, and Lamictal was prescribed to me because my doctor wanted to stabilize my mood before putting me on a stimulant since stimulants by themselves make me way too hyper."

Anonymous August 29, 2016

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Traded this from Zyprexa and been on it for a week, I gotta say, wow! This is a life-saver, been on 300mg, I feel so much better and not as drugged/sleepy as Zyprexa. This medication has greatly reduced my PTSD symptoms, especially the foght or flight mode. I also had depersonalization/derealization and that is almost completely gone! Can't say enough good things about this med. It's a keeper."

DPDR guy (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2016

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "it's helpes me lots I'm currently on 300mg"

InsecureSpike (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 28, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was misdiagnosed for several years by numerous doctors who all kept throwing drugs upon drugs to deal with one symptom after another. I finally found my current psychiatrist who properly diagnosed me at that time with BP2. I started on Lamictal then and as the years have progressed and episodes have happened and my diagnosed changed to BP1 my dosage changed. I've been taking 600 mg for years and have had no side effects at all. To keep my mania at bay I take 600 mg of seroquel daily and then 300 mg of Wellbutrin to keep depression leveled out. I have to take 400 mg of Lamictal in the morning and then the other 200 mg at night before bed. That seems to keep a even range in my body."

bikergirl676 (taken for 10 years or more) August 27, 2016

For Depression: "I was started on this med for depression from having no life from getting moderate-severe chronic fatigue syndrome. I can't say this has given my life back or anything but its the only thing that helps with my energy without causing flares like stimulants do. Caffeine is like taking out a loan I have to pay back with interest, if it helps at all. This is the only thing I've found that helps my baseline. I take 150mg a day in the morning. Many people find this sedating, but to me its the opposite. In fact, I can't consistently take any more than 150 because it ups my anxiety at 200mg and above. I'm still disabled, but this is the only thing I've found that bumps my baseline up (and I've tried every supplement and med imaginable)."

Gives energy without flares (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Bad side effects."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 19, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Caused a rash, so discontinued use."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "This stuff made me more aggressive, i actually now have a crime record because of this, before this medicine my life was manageable, now it's just a mess, and the doctors won't give me anything else as they think this isn't the problem, but funny how when i started taking this, i started getting more angry and i also have a tick, which may be a form of tourettes."

Anonymous August 18, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This was the first mood stabilizer I was put on when I was diagnosed BP2 and I've been on it ever since, which was about 9 years ago. I love this med- I've had NO side effects. I'm on 500mg which is a very high dose but I'm also very treatment resistant. The only negative thing about this med is that I can't go on birth control. I have horrible mood swings and pain around 'that time' and birth control would help, but besides it lessening the effect of the birth control it also lessens the effectiveness of lamictal. There may be some birth control pill out there I can take, but my pdoc, and gyno haven't found it. :( Besides that this med is amazing & I'll never go off of it"

starlight77 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 16, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Did everything right: titrated up gradually as per manufacturer's instructions. Only side effect was a slight front forehead ache in the mornings. Then.... WHAM! About 6 weeks into taking lamotrigine woke up with migraine killer headache & aching joints like getting the 'flu. Then next morning had rash all over body which became raised bumps. Then bloodshot eyes. I was in bed the best part of 2 weeks. Instantly, I stopped the lamotrigine. Even though my psychiatrist just told me to reduce the dose! Duh! If not for the SJS reaction, I would definitely still be on this drug."

BrizVegasGal August 15, 2016

For Depression: "I've battled depression for 10 years plus im on 40 mg Citalopram and have been on this for 8 years. 2 year's ago i was put on quetiapine brilliant results but horrid side affect then my consultant put me on 300 mg (slowy increased) lamotrigine same result and no side affects i noticed results within the first week and progression carried on for a good wile i feel a normal member of the human race again. I still have little episodes but are managible i am very happy with this drug its changed me for the better."

Steve foxy c August 11, 2016

For Cyclothymic Disorder: "Started taking it five years ago, and knew within a month that I had finally found a mood stabilizer that did the job. No weight gain (if anything I lost weight), no lack of focus, and no restlessness. This drug made me feel normal and at my baseline. I recently added a small dose of Effexor (venlafaxine) and it's made me feel like a whole new person. The one and only drawback is that I had to be careful about alcohol and caffeine consumption for a while. I'm still a bit more sensitive to both, but that's a small price to pay for the benefits."

Libtheo (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 9, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This medicine gave me way too much energy. The other night I went on a run at midnight, because I had to burn off the energy. I would say it definitely made me extremely manic. I also stopped getting my period on it, and my breasts grew larger as well. Strange.."

Creamsoda August 7, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "The best medication for bipolar I have ever had. For a while seroquel worked for me somewhat; although it blunted my mood to the point I could hardly recognise myself it stopped the most awful suicidal symptoms. The side effects were harsh though - excessive somnolence and drastic weight gain (I went up to seventeen stone.) Eventually, the side effects outweighed the benefits, and I stopped taking it, with catastrophic consequences. I bounced around between medications for a while, before my doctor tried lamotrigine; it made a difference. Since being on lamotrigine I have lost weight, started exercising, completed an access course, and am now working as a nursing assistant. I have been asymptomatic for 2 years, and have my life back."

Random nickname August 5, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Very effective but the side effect are bad if I don't take it correctly. I think there are ways you can reduce the effects( getting correct dosage of course) Before you consider going up a dose its worth considering. When you take them? I began taking mine at night, but have since taking through the day avoids headache, vision blurred, tremours. I take more last dose, breakfast, lunch & dinner. Do you take them food?I take them with food, I defiantly feel side effect, every time if I don't eat properly and skiip a meal Are you on any hormone treatment hrt/pill? I have found that there is a, as I call it, lower absorption rate as I'm on hrt and my consultant phy agrees, so I am taking a high does.What dosage? Even 25mg makes a difference."

Bee23 July 30, 2016

For Depression: "I've tried roughly a dozen different medications for depression with little to no effect. Some have actually made me feel much worse. Lamotrigine's effect is relatively minor, but more significant than any other medication I've tried. It makes me feel more talkative and enables me to actually enjoy things. My mood still fluctuates quite a bit and on a bad day it has little effect, but the improvement it adds to my good days is very noticeable verse without it. It also helps my social anxiety. Important to note though that it's next to useless for me when used alone. It's improvements only apply when taken with a serotonergic medication. (I take it venlafaxine and mirtazapine)."

Kyle BC July 25, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Sadly, this drug did not work for me. I was on the side affects end of the spectrum near it killing me. After a few days I developed a slightly raised rash on my thigh and it turned into a bruise (caused internal bleeding like a bruise). I stopped taking it as soon as I was sure it wasn't just rosy skin. It seemed to come and go the second and third day. Well the damaged tissue and bruise took a long time to go away. It was scary. I'm now labeled as having an allergy to it. It was an extremely strong reaction my doctor said."

Slynnnss (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Hey so i just started taking Lamotrigine 100g very recently, literally a week. I have been fine all week and I was becoming very positive. I did not want it to change my personality as i am generally quite a hyper person, in the sense that, I was apprehensive about becoming mellow perhaps. It did not make me mellow at all and I was very happy about that. I have been happy and stable the entire week however today I am having a very down day. Is that normal? why am I having a down day? I literally cannot break myself out of this hole that randomly came today."

Suzanne O July 8, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "After suffering from manic episodes of depression and rapid mood cycles that have been uncontrollable for most my life, Lamotrigine allowed the mood swings to lessen and become more manageable. The drug lessened the intensity of the depression, and took the edge off. I felt able to rationalise my feelings, and also control anger ourbursts better. The best way I can describe the effectiveness is that they take the edge of the intensity of bad mood swings. Negatives: According to my doctor and a lot of things I've read, Lamotrigine is unsuitable for Bi Polar Type 1. I also found once I'd increased my dosage to 250ml, my moods were too suppressed and so eventually lowered my dose and came off them altogether. i am now back on them."

Ricky666 July 7, 2016

For Depression: "I titrated up to 100mg. After a couple weeks on 100mg, I started getting tired in the afternoon, cried most mornings, and had no motivation. It definitely made my depression worse."

J_J July 5, 2016

For Anxiety: "I've had a seizure disorder for 10 years but hadn't had a tonic-clonic in about 6 years, so I've been off Lyrica for a year. I have GAD, PTSD & minor depression-but the massive anxiety nearly killed me, I had become borderline agoraphobic, could not slow my heart down, lost 90lbs in 2 yrs-really thought I was dying & actually reached the point of being ok with death as long as the anxiety stopped. I've been on benzos for years, but need to get off. I was admitted to the hospital for chest pains and mid Ativan push, had a t-c seizure. Enter Lamictal. Today is day one. My heart rate is normal. The bald eagles/vultures in my stomach (not butterflies) are gone. I feel more relaxed than I can ever remember. Fearless. Thank God."

TheAnxiousEpileptic (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have suffered for years, with the obvious issues of relationships, work and crap that goes with this disease. I had to fight for lactimal with my GP, which is a very British issue, but I am now beginning to feel great. I have never been so positive and focused and I am not manic. I no longer feel the pain, although I have had the odd moment when my body wanted to slide back to what it is ised to and know. Please, please, anybody that needs help ask for this. It is a lifesaver!"

danblas (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2016