User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Schizoaffective Disorder

Restless Legs Syndrome

1 review 14 medications
Summary of Lamotrigine reviews 7.5 808 reviews

Reviews for Lamotrigine

For Bipolar Disorder: "I am a 25 year old female. I was diagnosed with bipolar II disorder about 5 years ago. I have been taking 150mg of lamotrigine for over 2 years. Thus far I have experienced significant improvements in controlling my bipolar II disorder. I recently paired 100mg of sertraline to improve the lows. Also, I experience rapid cycling. I rated this drug 70% as I feel I still have a long way to go in recovery. But, the drug has definitely allowed me to be a highly functioning individual."

Anonymous November 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: "I've been on lamictal for 1 year for seizure prevention/mood swings. I gained weight, have a dry mouth and insomnia. I told my neurologist I wanted to come off seizure meds as I haven't had a seizure for 5 yrs, he said No because the next seizure I have may be fatal! Great bedside manner! Now I have live with side effects as I'm scared to come off lamictal."

Gayn (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "After being diagnosed with bipolar disorder, my doctor put me on this medication. I started at 25mg and eventually went up to 200mg. This medication is horrible. I was losing myself in the way it changed who I was. I became very irritable and unhappy. The littlest things set me off. I was not myself while taking this medication. I lost friends and my creativity. I wish I never had started this medication."

Anonymous November 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Lamictal has helped with the extreme highs; now they are at a normal level. But that being said, it has only helped the lows a little bit. The lows are still pretty low, so I wish Lamictal helped a little more with that. But I don't experience any (noticeable) side effects, so that's great. I would definitely recommend this!"

Mixed-Files (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I am 38, female, in a committed relationship again after divorce and bipolar type 1. Been on the generic of this drug (25mg) for 4 days. Not on any other meds. My therapeutic dose is 75mg, so I'm not quite there yet. It may be too soon to give a review, but it's important to note that I experienced immediate relief within 24 hours. But the real reason I am reviewing it today--day 4--I feel like my "old self" and not the bright shiny new self I experienced for 3 days straight. I also want to note that I feel like I go through withdrawal about 2-3 hours before I need to take my next pill (before bed) & get extremely moody. I am still optimistic, however. I plan on giving another review in a few weeks."

bleve1979 (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Tried this medication after Zoloft caused me to have a partial manic episode. Very impressed with the results. I feel very clear headed and emotionally stable. Less anxious as well. No side effects after three months"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Epilepsy: "Best medicine out there! I've had seizure for 7 years now and used to have them every other day and sometimes a couple in a row to. And about 2 years ago I got put on this medication and has stopped my seizures! I've tried 5 or 6 different medications and this one is the only one that actually worked great! Anyone reading this give it a try because it works!!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Epilepsy: "I have taken 150 mg of this drug for 3 and a half years for condition known as Benign Epilepsy. In that time I've continued to have seizure every six months on average as well as experiencing a number of negative side effects including, insomnia, constant sighing, impaired short term memory, lack of motivation, depressive thoughts and difficulty completing tasks due to lack of motivation."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I can't believe that this very cheap pharmaceutical medicine can help me .I tried a lot of medication.But lamotrygine is excellent."

Anonymous November 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This was the absolute wrong drug for me. Not sure why my doc put me on this as I don't have a mood disorder I have depression and anxiety. But I got weird side effects like breathlessness, difficulty swallowing and a feeling of not being able to clear my throat - super phlegmy and I can't get it out which actually increased my anxiety. Once I put two and two together I immediately stopped taking those pills. Not the right med for depression and anxiety."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was prescribed Lamictil and I did get Steven Johnson disease (a rare and sometimes fatal skin reaction) and was very ill. Luckily I was treated quickly and am on other medication. Just be aware of the symptom of Steven Johnson disease and go to ER immediately. "

Anonymous November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Epilepsy: "I do not like this drug! it gives me an upset stomach, dry mouth, gaining even more weight, makes me feel like I'm about to barf sometimes, I get double vision, dizziness, and even blurred vision. My doctor thought it was such a wonderful idea, and I have told her about my reactions to this medication, but she still thinks its a great medication. I wish she were in my shoes!"

ebanks0000 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was just prescribed this but am freaking out about the chance of getting Steven Johnson’s. Has anyone experienced this and did it go away after you stopped taking it? Will I have to worry about this the entire time I’m on the medication?"

Anonymous October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "No longer horrified to make eye contact. No longer worried people are judging me.. No longer bitter. I'm happy and back to me for the first time in 10+ years. This has literally changed my life. All the new experiences and social interactions I'm having are positive - a lot of great CBT going on over here !!! :)"

Anonymous October 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've only been taking this for two weeks but I feel a major difference. I am normally super irritable and moody, I feel like this medication has helped me gain the self control to think before I speak. I also feel like it's relieved me of anxiety, when a situation happens I feel so chill. I also am no longer suffering from extreme depression fatigue, I never had energy to help out around the house and I am able to do dishes, laundry etc."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I have taken Sertraline, Paroxetin, Wellbutrin, Brintellix, Mirtazepine. But lamotrigine is perfect in combination with paroxetine. I am glad that this medication was created."

Anonymous October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was taking it (100-200mg) for about two years in 2011 up until 2015 in conjunction with Quetiapine. I managed to drop my dose and come off it entirely. After that I felt pretty good for 2 years. I slipped into depression again, low self esteem so was put me back on Lamictal (200mg) and i immediately felt really good. But it didn't last long; depression, anxiety, losing hair, gaining weight, acne, and today began developing a rash on my hands and a sore neck. I'm worried but I'm afraid of taking something else."

CanYouNot (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "This med took about 2 years to take full effect. I have been taking 200mg for 12 years. I have to take in the morning, night dose makes it wear off too soon. (Increasing chance of migraines) Pros; I Went from weekly migraines (hemiplegic, cortical depression, pain) to 2-6 per year, now only Brought on by extreme stress and/or extreme wind. I unexpectedly became more easy going, I no longer sweat the small stuff. Cons; Lamictal has extreme and terrifying withdrawals, I can tell when I've missed a dose by vibrations in my teeth and face, and if longer than 48 hours I get extreme fear, headache, double vision, debilitating sadness, and super hypersensitive to sound. Less severe is hair loss, but so worth the life without severe migraines"

Long term success (taken for 10 years or more) October 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This medication made me head into a bad downer and I was agitated. When I titrated up to 50mg twice a day I had several agitated and had suicidal episodes which were worse than anything I've had in my life. When I discontinued it I started becoming manic. I then ended up in the hospital. I'm going back to only using Rexulti after this at a higher dose."

Kevin R (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I've always had depression as a struggle of mine. Fast forward at a low point my doc put me on numerous anti depressants throughout a period of 2 years that temporarily helped me to be functional before the extreme fatigue returned. We started lamictal. After 4 weeks I went up to 50mg. At first some tummy issues, wasn't prolonged. I'm currently on 50mg and it's been 6 weeks. I've felt huge difference that I can clearly see. I have ADHD too. I'm much more focused. My intense cravings for sweets is gone. I'm much more positive. I'm able to focus on the long term. I'm less tired & my anti-d & my concerta is working now! I've lost weight and not needed to sleep during the day. Mornings are easier. At night, I'm ready for bed :-) hope it stays"

KaraCmp (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have struggled with severe anxiety and major depression for 30 years. I have been on MANY different anxiety meds and anti depressants. The only 2 meds that helped slightly were Paxil and Ativan for panic/anxiety. I was diagnosed with Bipolar about 5 years ago and once again tried other meds. I heard about Lamictal helping other people, so my doctor said we could try it. It has been a LIFESAVER!! I still take Paxil and Ativan, but after the first few days of taking Lamictal, it helped tremendously with my mood swings. But most important, it improved my anxiety by at least 75% if not more. It has been a Godsend for me. I take 100mg a day. Thanks."

Melindakay1989 October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed Bipolar II back in January after an episode at work. My psychiatrist prescribed lamictal 25mg. I slowly titrated up and am now at 100mg. I was nervous to take it after reading some scary reviews, but it's been a lifesaver for me! I'm finally feeling "normal". I have a lot more stability with my moods. It's even made my moods less intense and not as long lasting. It's also somehow helped me with anxiety. Finally my moods aren't effecting my work or relationships. And I've had zero side effects. I love lamictal so so much."

lavenderlight September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I switched from generic immediate release lamotrigine to lamictal XR about a week ago. In the last week I have had the unfortunate and horrible side effect of diarrhea. The worst I have ever experienced; it would start a few hours after taking my meds (at bedtime...) and last until about noon the following day. It took me about a week to realize it was related to the medication change. When I stopped taking the medication the diarrhea went away. I've seen tons of positive reviews about the XR, but it just wasn't for me. I gave it a 3 because it still stabilized my mood while I was on it."

LJMomma (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Started taking lamictal when I started DBT earlier this year, and noticed almost immediately that my intense mood swings had largely subsided. Some classic BPD symptoms haven't been resolved (for me, feelings of insecurity/abandonment and argumentativeness) and I still struggle with suicidal ideation and target behaviors. However, the intensity and frequency of these episodes have diminished greatly. Lamictal has really improved my life and I think I would be in a drastically worse position without taking it. I haven't have any weight gain on this medication or any other negative side effects. I would definitely recommend this medication! Hope this was helpful and I wish you well on your journey of healing. :)"

E.R. September 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on this medication twice before. I stopped only because I found out I was pregnant.This medication didn't ever make a significant change, but my mood gradually was getting better. I'm now going back to the psych doctor and will probably try and get back on this one again. I do know the manufacturer that my pharmacy uses of the lamotrigine... so chalky and tastes so incredibly disgusting I despised taking it. Maybe if I can find a different kind, all will be wonderful?"

freeziePop (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2017