User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Schizoaffective Disorder 10 reviews 28 medications

Anxiety 12 reviews 63 medications

6.5
Summary of Lamotrigine reviews 596 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Lamotrigine

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: "I was diagnosed with grandmal epilepsy in 2004, had been on life support twice, longest for 17days, not good, they said it was temporal lobe sclerosis/ skull fractures etc, from playing rugby. I've had many medication changes from clonazapam to keppra & every thing in between" I am currently on 1000g morning/night of Keppra and have started taking 50g lamictal morning/night, as was still have severe absences which keppra couldn't stop" The Absence events have all but stopped after 3mths, although I have not had a good time with constant saliva, spitting. Which I believe is from the "flavour/effervescent" make up of the tablet. Does anyone else have this problem??"

Mr Strong (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "This drug made me Agitated I couldn't control my self I was really have a bad experience with this one and I feel like I lost my mind on this drug. I completely can't control my self Im BP II and when i take it i was in a mixed episode Be carefull !!! It can cause a bad hypomania !!!"

baaaaaaaaad (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This drug is a god send I suffered from bipolar since I was 17 im now 21 I have mixed episode that last for 6 month or more. I tried evey single medicine and I mean every thing antidepressant make me worse I have panic attack, fears ,alot of tears, a lot of depression, obsessive songs in my head lol and nothing seems to work like this one. I left all other drugs (not cold turkey ) , and started it and within 2 weeks I got normal - no panic, no depression and of course no hypomanic no side effect at all , this drug saved I'm more stable focused try it if you are bipolar 2 its a game changer"

jason83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Hi I am 21 I suffered from bipolar 2 since I was 18 , I am the mixed episode manic all the time, I tried every single medicine and I mean every thing no thing subsided the mixed episode , (anti depressant makes me worse in the mixed episode) ,I tried lamictal 100 per day and its subsided the mixed episode no panic attack no tears or fears no hypomanic or depression at all and no side effecet this drug is a game changer for me and I'm so thankful its saved my life , I take it alone , and actually its good for weight loss sorry for my english hope you get some benefits try it its really the best for bipolar 2"

lamictal saved me (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Works amazingly for my Bipolar Non-Specified Disorder. Not a happy pill, but one that keeps me feeling stable most of the year. Has definitely made a world of difference in my life. Only negative side effect is that I have a harder time losing weight on this medication (however, it does not seem to directly cause weight gain)."

M^2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 19, 2016

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I have post-traumatic stress disorder and bipolar 2. I've tried nearly every drug on the market for depression, post-traumatic stress and bipolar disorder and had less than successful results including worsening of depression and suicidal ideation. I've only been on this medication for a little over a week and I've already noticed a change. I sleep better, I have less obsessive thoughts, the irritability has decreased , and I'm happier in general. I've had no side effects that I'm aware of which is very rare for me as I have a tendency to react to medications negatively. So grateful as I have been unable to get quality sleep for about 3 years now, and my anxiety and PTSD has made it hard for me to leave the house and be involved in life"

PolyAngie (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I love this medication. I was out of control when I was taken to a psychiatrist and diagnosed with Bipolar 1. This was the first medication I was prescribed and it worked like a charm. I'm now mostly stable with a down day about once every two weeks and minuscule manic symptoms. I do have to take a rash medication though. I take it with Latuda. They both work amazingly."

the pills r bay (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 17, 2016

For Depression: "My Diagnoses: Chronic Treatment Resistant Unipolar Depression, GAD w/ anxiety attacks, ADHD I have been on lamotrigine as both mono and polytherapy. I am currently in remission chronic unipolar depression (9 months now). Lamotrigine has by far been the most effective (alone or combined) with almost no side effects, the only one being paresthesias (tingling in mouth, fingers, and toes). After reducing my daily dose from 200mg to 150mg, I have NO side effects with lamotrigine. I've never felt better in my life. Current Meds: (1x daily in the AM) Lamotrigine 150mg Bupropion XL 150mg Paxil 30mg Propranolol 20mg (BID if higher anxiety that day) Adderall IR- 30mg in the AM, 20mg at 2pm"

PRP_143 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 16, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "After being on 900mg a day of quitiapine and gaining 8 stone in weight, I knew something wasn't right. Yes I was stable but I was also numb and lack lustre. Tried a few other meds but none agreed until lamotrigine appeared. Hallelujah!! 5 stone weight loss over 4 months without dieting and I felt like me again for the first time in 8yrs. Took a while to get correct dosage as it was originally too high and made me vomit. I still have major down times but they only last days instead of months. Mostly I am energetic and full of life but not to the point of hypomania. My outlook on life is far more positive and I am more responsible and far less chaotic. I also take small doses of pregabalin and respiridone."

charley5 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 8, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I feel that lamotrigine offers no difficult side effects that further impact on my mood - compared to depakote, which I took previously. Depakote caused weight gain which increased my anxiety"

Loopyloop September 8, 2016

For Epilepsy: "My wife got eplipsy during her first pregnancy. Initially doctor advised us to us 'eptoine' which cost us and my soon was born with cleft. Of course we have to go for operation for correcting it. After which doctor advised us to use lamitrogen and had second child. Here and then there where sometimes seizures. Also tried to stop it using but got seizure again. Now we are confusing it and experiencing some side effects like drowsy., Eye vision reduced, headache, vomiting sensation"

Nvysthe September 3, 2016

For Seizure Prevention: "After taking Dilantin, (and keppra which cause depresion) it keep me and mom extremely extremely cool. depression faded away. It does well with seizures unless I miss a dose.Now I ONLY have nocturnal seizures. Side effects got worst.I have double vision, studdering, Alzhimers type memory, Cant walk at all dizzinyness, and rashes Other than seizures, side affects are MUCH worst then the medicine itself. I encourage you NOT to take it at all. AT ALL"

Horrible side effects after ye (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 3, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This medicine is a godsend. I literally felt like it grew me up. it helps so much with bi polar disorder! I used to walk down the street and wonder what passing cars thought about me and wondered if they thought I walked silly. Weird but true. After a month on this medication my life changed. I was more focused my mood swings were not so sever if any at all (I used to have mood swings that would last four and sometimes six months at a time). This medicine changed my life and I feel as though the effects were life changing! Even when I stopped taking the medication I still felt the affects from how I felt. I do not recommend stopping taking the medication though as the mood swings will gradually find their way back into your life. I"

Bi-polar Bill (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 1, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "Lamotrigine improved my quality of life dramatically for the last 12 years. Before starting it I was getting about 4 migraines/week. Sometimes my migraines would last 5-6 days. After a month on lamotrigine 100 mg I noticed that I was less reactive to my migraine triggers such as fragrances, loud noises and flashing lights. I'd still get migraines but not as easily and not as frequently. We upped my dose to 200 mg and now I get much fewer migraines, more like 1/week, sometimes less. If you have trouble with glutamate as evidenced by MSG reactions (non-allergy type), or headaches from high glutamine foods, or as seen in SNPs of your genetic profile (now accessible through 23andme) you may find this med to be a game changer for you."

AllSunnyDays August 31, 2016

For Epilepsy: "Hi I'm Grace, I've been taking lamotrigine for about six months now… I absolutely despise it… it really doesn't work for my epilepsy I have been trying to get it changed for months now but my neurologist is hard to get appointments with. I still have my seizures at least 5 times a day and because it really doesn't work it's hard to remember to take it sometimes but I almost always take it. It also made me gain some weight and not be able to lose it. I don't recommend this medicine "

Grace Douthett August 30, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This medicine probably saved my life. After being misdiagnosed with severe depression, I had been on a high dose of Prozac which led me to a near suicide attempt. Switching psychologists, I was diagnosed with bipolar 2, taken off of the Prozac and put on this medication and almost immediately noticed a difference. They told me that I shouldn't feel a difference until at least 150mgs but I felt it at 75mgs. I'm currently on 400mgs which is usually the highest for treating bipolar. It is also used to treat epilepsy, and people with epilepsy take thousands of mgs a day, so it I felt safer when experimenting with it. The only reason I gave it a 9 is that it doesn't completely hold me over when I have overwhelming emotions. Adding Trileptal now."

Anchor3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 30, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have BP II. I LOVE Lamictal(lamotrigine). I was scared to go on it at first, because of the life-threatening rash listed as one of the side-effects, but it has done wonders for my mood and my life. This, taken with Lithium has literally been God-send! Lamictal straightened my mood right up!"

NightOwlie (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 30, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Lamictal worked like a charm on my mood. I so pleasantly surprised and relieved! I've tried something like 10 medications in an 11-year period and it's been the only thing that's worked. However, it gave me really bad back acne (like, whoa) and made me very physically ill- super swollen lymph nodes in my neck, fever, vomiting & fatigue, etc. I had to stop taking it, but I'd say it's definitely worth a try. In general I'm very susceptible to side effects. I have hypomania, depression, anxiety, ADHD, my mood is super unstable, and Lamictal was prescribed to me because my doctor wanted to stabilize my mood before putting me on a stimulant since stimulants by themselves make me way too hyper."

Anonymous August 29, 2016

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Traded this from Zyprexa and been on it for a week, I gotta say, wow! This is a life-saver, been on 300mg, I feel so much better and not as drugged/sleepy as Zyprexa. This medication has greatly reduced my PTSD symptoms, especially the foght or flight mode. I also had depersonalization/derealization and that is almost completely gone! Can't say enough good things about this med. It's a keeper."

DPDR guy (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2016

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "it's helpes me lots I'm currently on 300mg"

InsecureSpike (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 28, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was misdiagnosed for several years by numerous doctors who all kept throwing drugs upon drugs to deal with one symptom after another. I finally found my current psychiatrist who properly diagnosed me at that time with BP2. I started on Lamictal then and as the years have progressed and episodes have happened and my diagnosed changed to BP1 my dosage changed. I've been taking 600 mg for years and have had no side effects at all. To keep my mania at bay I take 600 mg of seroquel daily and then 300 mg of Wellbutrin to keep depression leveled out. I have to take 400 mg of Lamictal in the morning and then the other 200 mg at night before bed. That seems to keep a even range in my body."

bikergirl676 (taken for 10 years or more) August 27, 2016

For Depression: "I was started on this med for depression from having no life from getting moderate-severe chronic fatigue syndrome. I can't say this has given my life back or anything but its the only thing that helps with my energy without causing flares like stimulants do. Caffeine is like taking out a loan I have to pay back with interest, if it helps at all. This is the only thing I've found that helps my baseline. I take 150mg a day in the morning. Many people find this sedating, but to me its the opposite. In fact, I can't consistently take any more than 150 because it ups my anxiety at 200mg and above. I'm still disabled, but this is the only thing I've found that bumps my baseline up (and I've tried every supplement and med imaginable)."

Gives energy without flares (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Bad side effects."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 19, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Caused a rash, so discontinued use."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "This stuff made me more aggressive, i actually now have a crime record because of this, before this medicine my life was manageable, now it's just a mess, and the doctors won't give me anything else as they think this isn't the problem, but funny how when i started taking this, i started getting more angry and i also have a tick, which may be a form of tourettes."

Anonymous August 18, 2016