User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Schizoaffective Disorder 13 reviews 27 medications

7.3
Restless Legs Syndrome 1 reviews 14 medications

Summary of Lamotrigine reviews 758 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Lamotrigine

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Best things stabilize my mood."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I had gone through a wide variety of SSRI's before my doctor recommended these. This medication has seriously changed my life and I feel like I have more control about how certain things make me feel. I am Bipolar 2 taking 200mg and I don't ever want to get back to the state I was in before. Having tried around 5 different types of medication I have finally found the one."

LowFlo (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I still have minor anxiety and depression...but wow my life got changed"

Krishelli (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have Bipolar II and lamotrigine saved my life. I have taken 200mg for approximately 5 years. In combination with therapy my mood swings have diminished by >95%. My quality of life has skyrocketed. My life truly is broken into 2 segments - before lamotrigine and after lamotrigine. My memory is certainly a bit worse, but I notice no other side effects. The memory impairment is not substantial enough to warrant stopping the medication."

Redditor (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "My experience with this drug is rather odd. I got good relief from 25 mg, felt even better at 50, 75 also good. Then BAM when I increased to 100 mg I began feeling super depressed and very very anxious. Went back down to 75 mg. It's too bad really - because I know It's working - I just can't reach a therapeutic dosage.. Also I've had lots of side effects - most of which has all disappeared: no appetite BUT always hungry (lost 4 kg), itching, a small rash which went away, hypomania right after an increase, uncontrolled eye rolling, numbness in my face, constant throat clearing and constant blinking of my eyes, acid reflux. When I switched from the generic to the brand name Lamictal a lot of these side effects went away."

Sarahhn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I have a family history of severe mental illness (schizoaffective and bipolar on mom's side and severe anxiety/panic attacks on dad's). About 3 years ago I started falling into depression and having severe anxiety attacks. I'm generally a happy and optimistic person, and out of nowhere I'm barely functioning, having some existential crisis, and sitting around at home crying and scared for my husband to leave to even go to the store. On top of that, I started becoming really afraid I would develop psychosis after growing up seeing what my mom dealt with. Decided I wasn't going to put off dealing with it and saw psych. Lamictal has literally given me my life back without making me feel numb. I still feel like my old, slightly wild self again."

Tjnoir (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I never knew I would ever be able to feel normal again, whatever normal is? Anyway, I too have struggled with anxiety and depression/PTSD for over 20 yrs. I began taking Lamotrigine a couple of months ago and literally within a couple of days, I noticed that big ball of anxiousness I used to feel in my chest was gone.. I started with .25 mg and now I'm at 200 mg and am feeling way better.. the downside, if you want to call it that, is that I am starting to have feelings again. I cry at almost everything but it's appropriate feelings that I think I was prevented from feeling because of the psyche meds I took for so long that did nothing but ruin my life and give me terrible side effects. I am grateful to have found this medication."

JenRendy July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I found the time I spent on Lamotrigine to treat my bipolar disorder helpful, positive, and enjoyable."

Ikswezwezrkaz The Commenter (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Have only been taking this for a month so far no rash hoping i wont get it when we increase the dosage. I have lost 15 pounds on it in the first month but the side effects I have are trouble sleeping, weight loss, and runny nose. It has lifted my mood and I am able to exercise plus I have so much more focus I have ADHD but don't take anything for it."

kkkkkkkkkkk July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I'm bipolar II and this med works very well. The depression still comes and goes and I do feel kinda crappy somewhat often, but it is definitely not horrible and incapacitating like it was before. Also Lamictal has reduced my hypomania probably by half, and makes it barely noticeable unless I am trying to sleep. A huge plus is that I've had ZERO side effects of any kind (other than temporary ones when increasing doses), which is very rare for antidepressants and anti-mania drugs. Hope this was helpful and hopeful"

msh27 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I started on Lamictal after having manic episodes on Zoloft as well as Wellbutrin. I was a heavy cigarette and marijuana smoker. In the first couple weeks of starting Lamictal, I was able to quit smoking weed and cigarettes!! I didn't have insomnia as I previously did when trying to quit marijuana. My mood was much improve. I had been suicidal before and I started exercising again on Lamictal. I developed an unknown rash about 2 years into Lamictal and stopped immediately. The rash disappeared. It looked like 8 mosquito bites all over my legs. I was forced to try Abilify which made me gain over 40 pounds and take naps during the day. Today, I have started back on Lamictal and am back on track with exercising and enjoying life."

Kira123456789 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "It caused me worsening depression, facial acne and messed up my comprehension! I could barely come up with words to say. Be aware that depression is an adverse side effect and should be stopped immediately as it only gets worse. I am 21 years old and experienced induced mania because of SSRI's. I was prescribed Lamictal 25mg after a psychotic attack. I took it for only 10 days because the depression got significantly worse day by day, especially when I upped the dose, to the point where I didn't even know who I was . Plus it made me numb and nothing was exciting."

Lela3338 July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Have had major depressive disorder with borderline bipolar since I was 9, now with added anxiety. Antidepressants never worked for me. I am also sensitive to medication. As my episodes have gotten worse, my doctor thought to try me on Lamotrigine. I had to go very slowly up, and at first couldn't even tell if this was working, until I went up to 75mg, then I crashed. My dark thoughts took over me, I couldn't stand trying to wake up or get out of bed. My hydroxyzine that usually helps calm me a bit, was no help at all. I was told with being on the low dose that I could just stop it, but then I had bad withdrawal symptoms that took over 2 weeks to calm down. I cannot recommend this medicine."

catblue (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "Have been taking this for other conditions. Spotty vision stopped completely and had zero migraines which were rather regular during treatment time. Stopped lamotrigine and migraines plus spotty vision returned."

Dmaximus June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: "I had a series of severe episodes in '14 and that's when I began this drug. Initially it made me really drowsy but it was manageable. Otherwise I've had absolutely no problems! Only downside is that its levels can be easily affected/lowered with other drugs. In order to take birth control pills I had to nearly double my lamictal dosage as the estrogen made my lamictal levels plummet."

Beci192_2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I've had debilitating anxiety and depression most of my life and going into perimenopause made it a thousand times worse. I was on Seroquel and Lexapro, but my mood swings, depression, extreme fear, panic attacks and anxiety was still absolutely paralyzing. I also developed intrusive thoughts. My doctor started me on Buspar, Bio-Identical Hormone therapy and Lamictil. It changed my life. I have had no serious side effects other than mild memory impairment at first. I control the Lamictil rash on my face with 5% Benzoyl Peroxide Cream and Hydrocortisone cream. Prayer, faith in God and coping mechanisms have also helped me tremendously. My mind is clear and I feel normal. Give it a shot!"

A.B. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Wow what a difference. I've tried 4 SSRIs, 1 SNRI, Wellbutrin (Made me irritable and couldn't sleep), Viibryd, different ADHD stimulants, and the list goes on. Currently, I'm on sertraline (Zoloft generic) 100mg and it was working out okay, but still struggled with my temper and depression. After 5 weeks, I'm finally on lamotrigine (Lamictal generic) IR 100mg once a day. It took 3 days after I started the 100mg to notice a big difference in my behavior. Side effects you might notice while starting it are Dizziness (minor), slight sedation or tiredness, and depression. My depression is now gone. I believe it was my brain adjusting to this miracle of a medication."

Vibro (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I was put on this whilst in a psychiatric ward, after years of antidepressants and antipsychotics. When I was finally prescribed lamotrigine it was amazing I took it along with antipsychotics and I felt a great decrease in fits of rage and destruction. After taking this for almost a year, being on a 175mg a day for the last 6 months. My life is better than ever, with a lessening of suicidal ideation. Overall it helped me so much, and I would highly recommend it to anyone else with BPD"

Vse June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have bipolar 2, BPD, anxiety, and PTSD from past trauma. I have taken many drugs over the years, including SSRI's and lithium carbonate. No medication has help with my anxiety, depression, and mood swings anywhere near as effectively as Lamictal. Within 2 weeks I felt like "myself" again. I felt like a weight had been lifted. My appetite and sleep patterns also became more normalised. I am on 100mg twice a day. And have been for about 6 months. I was ready to give up on medications, then I was but on Lamictal. It was like night and day. It's hard to describe, honestly. But I feel much for content and happier in general. The only side effect I can remember is when I missed a dose, I got very aggravated and moody. Much love!"

Ellis d (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: "I've been taking Lamotrigine for close to a year now, as a alternate for my previous seizure medicine. I am able to continue using Depo birth control, and although there's a small chance I get slight insomnia, it works quite well for me. Two a day, 100 mg each."

Arela (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on this medication for 1 year or even 2 years with 300 mg. I still have extreme mood swings and it doesn't help at all, I want lithium or other bipolar medicine - this doesn't work at all for me. I'm really scared to gain weight while on some other medication because I already gained 20 kg from an antipsychotic medicine before but I can live with this. My bipolar illness gets worse and worse I still have a good medicine "base" tho. It's not as extreme as a couple of years ago but I'm only 19 years old so I'm looking forward trying something else."

Linnnn June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I just started lamictal, after tapering off of topamax. Topamax did nothing for me. I have disorder 2 in which I am more manic. I've been on it 3 weeks and so far I have been episode free, which is good for me considering I am a rapid cycler. I've done a lot of research on lamictal and it appears to meet my needs the most. And it's weight neutral. (Topamax never made me lose wight either). Also it doesn't halt your emotions like say lithium, where you are neither nor sad you're just emotionless. I hate that. Lamictal was a great choice for me so far so good!"

Fsndjxn3849 June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "In 3 days of use I had itchy scalp within 2 weeks I had to be taken off due to itchy rash on neck and face as it was getting worse. It has been 2 weeks on new medication and I am still having the breakout."

Melissa W12 June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy: "I've been on this for 5 years and when I started taking it I had no mental health issues, not even a drop of depression. Now I have biopolar depressive disorder and severe anxiety disorder with chronic tic's. The doctors now have me taking 700mg a day and because it makes me SO forgetful I have forgot that I took my dose so I ended up having two accidental drug overdoses. I have become extremely tired all the time. I wasn't told that this medication was bad for pregnancy so I have also lost 2 babies because of this horrible pill. To top it all off I still will have a random seizure but just not as often."

Horribly life changing (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I never write reviews but this time I had too. I am 24 years old and had depression since I was in fifth grade. It was manageable up until I graduated high school. When I started working in taking on more responsibilities I started getting depression really bad . To the point I cannot handle anything anymore. I tried Venlafaxine for 5 years. It worked good on the mood and the depression but as it went on the side effects kept getting worse and worse which made me stop taking it. Terrible withdrawal. I then took mirtazapine for 6 months didn't work. Now taking lamotrigine at 100 mg - (after upping slow) Took about two months, I have never felt this good in a long time! No more worrying no more depression! I highly recommend this!!!"

Patrick1969 June 6, 2017