User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Restless Legs Syndrome

1 review 14 medications
Summary of Lamotrigine reviews 8.1 885 reviews

Reviews for Lamotrigine

For Epilepsy: "This drug has literally turned my life around. I started on Dilantin (300mg, 1x daily @ night) and within two days of taking that drug I started experiencing almost every side effect listed. The most troubling were: extreme lethargy, muscle weakness, uncontrollable nausea vomiting and a severe spike in anxiety and depression leading to suicidal ideations. I quickly went into a downward spiral where all of the above listed side effects compounded as it built up in my body. I made an emergency appointment for me Dr. to come make a house call and he immediately told me that I needed to change medication. I was put on Lamotrigine and within two days (it took roughly 48 hours for the dilantin to completely leave my system) I started feeling more energetic, more hopeful and the nausea subsided. I have been on Lamotrigine now for 3 weeks and everyone in my life has said that I'm looking and acting like my normal self again. It has also helped control my anxiety and boosted my overall mood."

J.WeeBee June 11, 2018

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "My PTSD was triggered almost 15 years my loss. My moods went from positive, happy and able to cope with life to the extreme opposite. I didn’t like who I'd become or know what to do. After getting in to the doctor he immediately confirmed what my primary care suspected - I had PTSD. He discussed using Lamotigine and steadily increasing the dose over the next year to reduce the anger, anxiety and hopelessness that had come over me. Its been almost 2 years and while I've struggled at times, taking Lamotrigine made living possible. I no longer am so quick to anger, anxious or worn down. My sleep patterns have also improved."

Struggled (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 8, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Epilepsy: "I am currently titrating up to help my day and nocturnal seizures. I am at 50mg morning and night. So far it seems to have helped with the nocturnal but increased my seizures during the day. If you are in Scotland and its the weekend you can go to a chemist and they can supply you with a week of medication to tide you over should you run out, so you don't miss any doses. They will sort out the paperwork and inform your GP that they have given you that medication. Take a repeat slip if you have one and try to stick to a regular chemist and obviously try to remember to order.. easier said than done with multiple medications and memory problems. Your chemist can also order them and deliver if needed."

Purple-Rain-Scotland (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed with Bipolar several years ago. I was prescribed meds but I don’t take them at all. I hate meds. I experienced lots of episodes, admitted in the hospital twice, destroyed things, thoughts and attempted suicides many times. My life is in ruins. Until last year, after my last episode, I realized I need help and need to stop this suffering. I went to the hospital and I was able to talk to the doctor and prescribed me Lamotrigine. Wow! What a relief! It’s been 7 months and I feel great. I also take Respiridone at night, to help me get enough rest and sleep. I can now function normally. It keeps my emotions stable. I need to be careful though when it comes to stress. When highly stressed, my episode comes back. But other than that. I can’t live without this drug. It’s a life saver. Thank you, Lamotrigine."

Andrea May 28, 2018

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Been on lamotrigine for 2 months and have slowly worked my way up to 200mg. Combined with Prozac (fluoxetine) which I also slowly worked my way up to 50mg. It is saving me in so many ways. No more extreme lows, impulsiveness, I think before I act, anger has subsided, anxiety is slowly creeping away, no suicidal thoughts, no crying at nothing, not up and down like a yoyo throughout the day. I have been on every medication for BPD and my panic disorder/ anxiety. This is the only one that has worked with no weight gain. Initial sleepiness, slight nausea and diarrhea as side effects. But it subsides If you push through. Thank goodness for this mood stabilising medication."

Indigo (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "It's been so great and a life-saver for me! Since beginning the medication in 2004, I haven't had any mania. At 100mg once a daily, I don't have any side-effects other than the usual cotton mouth. I tried generic and had one negative side-effect after another, so I switched to name brand and have been fine. Generic and name brand are NOT the same thing."

Turtle Lady (taken for 10 years or more) May 25, 2018

For Seizure Prevention: "This medication is excellent for seizures. I have about 2 seizures a day, started lamotrigine 5 years ago. I thought maybe I will grow out of it, so I stopped taking it, 2 days later I was back to having seizures. Highly recommended for epilepsy, however as a "mood stabilizer" doesn't seem to work for me."

Barnzy (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 24, 2018

For Depression: "I have been on fluoxetine, escitalopram, venalafaxine, bupropione, for 2 years and never thought I was in so severe depression , although I had brain fog, decreased concentration , lethargy, inability to get up from by bed , inability to take a shower or go to classes (for your info , I am an MBBS student ) which was all due to my depression , none of the drugs have worked so far, then my psychiatrist had suggested bupropione 150 mg and lamotrigine 100 mg and riperidone 1mg , felt better than before , I am able to concentrate on my studies , although not as good as I am in first year of medicine , right now I am in final year. So lamictal has worked good so far but hope to increase my dose to 150 mg and expecting positive effects in few days so that I can do well in my exams"

pavan (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Lamictal has been an extremely effective medication for my bipolar. I took 150mg for 5 years but recently increased to 200mg and found that I benefited from the increase. My moods are even more balanced. Wish I had discovered the need for a slightly higher dose sooner. In addition to lamictal I take 150mg of Wellbutrin daily with an occasional break to prevent a hypocrite manic episode. Also take Seroquel for sleep for some other bipolar symptoms. Lastly, Klonopin for general / social anxiety. "

Roma (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 23, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "After being formally diagnosed with Bipolar II, I tried Saphris, Abilify and Olanzapine before a different Doctor prescribed Lamictal. It is the gold standard in treating BP depression and was instantly effective for me. My depression diminished, my mood elevated, I had little to no side effect; but my hypomania did not seem to be affected. Years later I tried to wean myself off to start a Lithium/Lexapro combo and I immediately crashed. I will definitely stay on lamictal long term to treat Bipolar depression."

bpd789 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 17, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I've been on Lamotrigine for several months now, started a small dosage of 25mg, gradually increasing until I've gotten to 300mg per night. Each increase has improved my mood, made me content and more active. It has also taken away my depressed behavior of lying in bed watching TV series all day and overeating, as well as my sudden breakouts of irritation. I just hope I don't get the Stevens-Johnson syndrome, I don't know if the risk is less the more you've taken the medication without side-effects. Getting SJS would be extremely unfortunate given that I greatly depend on the medication."

Fer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 15, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on lamictal for almost a year, along with a daily dose of wellbutrin 150 XL that I have been with for three years. Petite and sensitive to medication, I have done well on 50mg lamictal daily. This medication has brought so much RELIEF! Excellent addition to the wellbutrin. I deal mostly with depression, but also have been very mood sensitive and can be easily "sent over the edge." This medication brings me peace and well being. Having to deal with emotional instability is very stressful and burdensome (for me and those I love). That burden is lifted, as the range of emotions that I have are much more manageable. Less worrying if I am going to have an outburst, which means less shame to deal with. No major symptoms other than very brief, occasional, and mild nausea after I eat. Overall it has made a huge improvement to my quality of life. If you are in need of a stabilizer I hope it works for you!"

grateful for medicine May 11, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Lifesaver! After life long depression and countless other antidepressants, lamictal has allowed me to live a depression free life! Don't have a clue why its so expensive? That is a shame"

40 YR OLD MALE (taken for 10 years or more) May 9, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on on Lamotrigine (Lamictal) since August of last year, and I believe it has been vital to my treatment of Bipolar II, specifically helping to 'level' me out. However, I did need to add an antidepressant (Celexa) in order to really treat my depression. I have been on this combination for several months, and this is literally the longest period of time in my life since battling depression (over a decade ago) that I have felt okay and dare I say happy. Of course I still have my moments, but they are fleeting where as before I was entirely consumed by depression and couldn't think or function properly and the only thing on my mind was dying."

Kim (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 9, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "My PDoc prescribed it to me, but I refused to accept that I had mild bipolar (type 2). However, my SSRI (Cipralex) was only numbing and sometime energizing me for no reason and eventually... led to inevitable depression dips . I stuck it out for almost 1.5 months on Lamictal only 25 mg's, and trust me, I feel a world of a difference. My life has changed. I feel like I can focus. Although there is MILD emotional numbing, almost stoic, I am able to be present with people and calmly socialize. It is easier to process emotions, which used to be overwhelming before. It allowed my mindfulness and self acceptance practise to skyrocket. Anyone planning on using this. Titrate slowly!!!!! My symptoms were too much handle when I shot up to 50MG's. I might be different, but please be patient with the drug and move slowly."

hmaqsood May 8, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on lamotrigine for over 8 years and I can say it has given me my life back. Before my moods fluctuated quickly and I would have severe bouts of depression. At one point in my life it wasn’t about if I was going to kill myself, it was just a matter of when was I going to kill myself. Although increasing the medication slowly was frustrating and took almost 4 months to get to my current dosage, 400mg daily, it was well worth it. My mood swings are less severe and don’t occur as often, and I’m able to cope with life again. It isn’t a magic cure all, most medications aren’t and I think that’s where some people get confused and frustrated, but it’s allowed me to be mentally stable enough to access other mental health services such as therapy. Since going on Lamictal my quality of life has increased drastically. The only side effect I experience is if I take it too late in the day, it keeps me awake at night."

CaLi (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 6, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have literally never written a review before. BUT I need to warn people about my experience with this: I titrated up VERY slowly. I didn't have any side effects for the first 3-4 weeks. Then 1 day, out of the blue, I started having severe chest pain & EXTREME heart palpitations. I had stabbing pain down my arms and legs & shooting pains in all my joints. My heart was beating out of my chest, I was vomiting blood, etc. I'm a 21 yr old, healthy girl. I kept taking it for about a week longer. The pain only got worse. I felt like I was having a heart attack 24/7. I couldn't even hold a pen cuz my wrists hurts so bad. It got so bad that I went to the ER because I thought I was dying, my chest hurt so bad. They ran an EKG, which came back normal, but the doctor said I was running a high fever, & my throat started closing very rapidly. They had to give me a bunch of shots of something to help me breathe because iIbegan to lose oxygen supply to my brain."

imisslilpeepandavicii May 6, 2018

For Depression: "On it for 2 years already. So far, so good. Currently at 100 mg daily. I've tried any antidepressant, anti psychotic, anti everything available with no use at all. Took Prozac for 10 years, which was so so for my depression. This one really makes a difference in my day to day. Only side effect, some vision impairment and some shoulder pain that comes and goes (but it could be caused by some personal issues that I am going through now) Anyhow, this medicine is one of the two that really showed me how is to not feel depressed (the other one is Lyrica, which sadly is the fastest way to weight gain). BTW, one thing I know for sure is that any of the SSRI available (for example Lexapro), just block your emotions good and bad. For me, a price that I discovered pretty high to pay. Peace !!!"

BOAZ (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 4, 2018

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Lamotrigine was prescribed to me in combination with an SSRI for unipolar depression. I am also diagnosed with Post traumatic Stress Disorder. I have noticed Lamotrigine helped tremendously with my symptoms of hypervigilance, which are much less severe today. It also helps me with depressive episodes. I rarely fall into depressive states where I can not function, and when I do, they are much shorter than they used to last. Sadly I haven't seen any improvement in avoidance symptoms, but I didn't expect it to help this symptom of PTSD in the first place. It might also be important to note that I don't have a history of manic symptoms."

R. M. (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 29, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: "My daughter started this drug at night time with the lowest dose. 2 weeks later we added another dose in the morning. On the second day she started having more seizures (absense) in the morning where as before she had maybe 20 but with the medication it was in the hundreds. I told her dr and they wanted us to just double up the dose at night time. I wasn’t ok with that but kept her on the 1 chew pill at night. The next day she has a convulsion seizure which she had never had before. I don’t like this medication. I think it caused more seizures for my 6 year old little girl."

Mermo (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "This med raises GABA. Thankful that I found it. Low GABA causes anxiety, panic attacks & suicidal thoughts. This medication is a lifesaver. <3 (:"

Haimé (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 16, 2018

For Seizure Prevention: "I have had "stroke like" simple partial seizures for 2 1/2 years and first diagnosed with mini strokes. The doctor first put me on KEPPRA and increased it gradually up to 1000 mg twice daily and would still have these seizures two or more weekly with "zombie"effects. Finely she gradually brought me down to 500 mg of KEPPRA and up to 150 mg of Lamotrigine. After 7 months I have had 2 seizures, one in the build up stage and another following a very stressful time. Side effects seem light compared to the large amount of KEPPRA. I do have a little off balance, some light rashes and forgetfulness but overall I am unbelievably better. I am 74 and some of these side effects may be from age."

Bev April 4, 2018

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I've been on Lamictal for about two months now, slowly titrating up from 50 mg to 100 mg (with plans to increase soon), and I've already noticed such a huge difference in my mood and my increasing ability to not dwell on traumatic thoughts. My mental health was already not great before my assault two years ago, and ever since then I've felt like all of my hard work up to that point had been erased. Since then, I've cycled through pretty much every SSRI available and have never felt a noticeably positive difference. Thankfully, my doctor was more than open to my idea to switch to a mood stabilizer and prescribed Lamictal. Before this I felt like I was constantly reliving my trauma, and that mostly manifested as extreme anger and irritation largely directed at those closest to me. I still get irritated and overemotional sometimes, but it is not nearly as devastating. I'm hoping future dosage increases will help even more."

orangetoday (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have generalized anxiety disorder along with OCD, depression, PTSD & weird/strong/angry mood swings. I am not bipolar but this medication keeps me under control. It helps my anxiety more than anything, I do get random "freak out" moments where I'll simply just want to go crazy on someone or something. So although I don't know exactly what this medication is helping me with, it's helping me overall be a better person with less (but still rare) mood swings. I'd recommend this med to anyone with any anxiety disorder, etc!"

tina (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "My mood swings and panic attacks began after suffering from a terrible head injury and developing post concussive syndrome. I was a pretty well adjusted guy until the injury. I started getting intense mood swings that would last for a very short time. My panic became so unbearable that I landed in the psych ward where I was diagnosed with mixed states, rapid cycling bi polar. I was discharged out on seroquel which helped with sleep and the panic but I would still get awful, suicidal downs. I suggested to my psych to put me on lamictal after doing some research. Since I’ve been on this drug things got so much better. My depressed moods happen much less often and they’re not as intense. It’s been an amazing medication for me. I highly recommend it especially if you are rapid cycling."

Ey (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2018