User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Schizoaffective Disorder 11 reviews 29 medications

6.9
Restless Legs Syndrome 1 reviews 14 medications

Summary of Lamotrigine reviews 687 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Lamotrigine

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed bipolar a year ago and started at 100 then 150 and now 200mg at night in conjunction with Cymbalta 30 mg. I have had no side effects and I really think this drug has saved my life."

LaLathecat69 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 20, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Lamictal saved my life. I have struggled my whole life with rapid cycling bipolar 2, with more frequent and longer lasting depressive episodes than manic. I was just recently diagnosed and never knew what was wrong with me- I've been dealing with this since as early I can remember , around age 10. I started seeing a counsellor and psychiatrist and this is the conclusion they came to. When I started going I was so close to ending my life, it was terrifying . I just thought it was normal. Then my psychiatrist started me on Lamictal and we worked up to 200 mg and I have never been this happy in my ENTIRE LIFE . I've been overweight forever and I'm now losing a lot of weight healthily, I'm so happy and confident and I'm finally making changes."

Girlchanged March 19, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I have had depression my entire life, and Lamictal started working for me within a month, or so. This medication hasn't solved all my issues, but has made my depression manageable. I still have to make sure I'm getting regular exercise, eating well, getting enough sleep, spending time in the mountains and in the sun, and showering regularly; if I don't, I will cycle back into a depressive episode. I know this is probably common for the general population, but I wanted to make it clear that before, those activities wouldn't curb my depression in any way. I give this 9/10 as it has caused my eye sight to decline, have noticed some gum recession, some sexual side effects, as well as some hair loss (supplementing with selenium has helped)."

ClaireBear4 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was put on lamictal about 9 Years ago.. Tried everything else nothing worked.. I have bipolar..severe panic attacks and agoraphobia.. I was in horrible condition... Started at lowest dose and stayed at 300mg ...fine until about 8 months ago and got scerlitis of eye.. Went to eye doctor treated with steroids... But it just coming back... Finally realized it must be my medication.. Quit lamictal and it was gone.. When I saw my doctor I told her and she said yes that is a side affect and I could never take again.. OMG.. Best med ever for bipolar.. Some anxiety break thrus..but 1st time I ever really felt normal.. After this got another Dr put me on Paxil.. OMG.. What a nightmare.. I bottomed out.. Ground zero... Now on nothing for 3 weeks.."

Pink53! (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "This was the first drug that did this but I had to make sure I took at least 100mg cause 25 just caused some poor sleep. 100 was great until I developed cognitive decline due to Lamotrigine as many even "just" epileptic users have noticed and experience. A thing to look out for. Takes away lows totally. But memory impairment especially verbal memory."

Martin 0983lvr March 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "This drug is a live saver. Has me back to feeling like myself."

bthomasdickinson (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I started on 25mg of lamictal and initially it did not do anything for me until I slowly increased the dosage in the past few months. I am now at 150mg and I would say this medication has helped me immensely. I am no longer in a deep depression, I can manage my moods better, and my anxiety.. the chest pressure feeling I would get in my chest all day and every day as well as the obsessive thoughts and worry are extremely decreased. I feel like a normal human being now. From time to time I would get sad, but it is not anywhere close to what it used to be. This drug is amazing. I feel like upping the dosage to 200mg would make this perfect, but we shall wait and see with my psychiatrist this week. :)"

cupcake7591 March 14, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I was diagnosed with BPD over 12 months ago.. and tried many Anti-depressants, only one worked Valdoxan ( others weight gain, no libido etc ) which seemed to help with suicidal thoughts. I have been on Lamotrgine for just under a month (50mg) a day and it has really helped with my outbursts and insecure thoughts, my partner says he has noticed a difference. But saying that l feel the dosage should be increased as sometimes l do let my thoughts run away with me, and then we have major problems!"

Cat from carlton March 11, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm Bi polar. Super manic. Major highs n lows for as long as I can remember...I'm 36yrs. I've tried everything under the sun. I SWEAR BY THIS MEDICATION. I have severe side effects to all meds so I always start out with the lowest dosage to handle them. I'm on 25mg and boy my life has change 360. It saved my marriage!!! Like who is this person! This is the best of me that I never got to experience... I wasted a good chunk of my life being miserable. I have patience now. Lol, I'm not MEAN...I calm down a lot faster than before when I do get mad. My house is clean, I cook, everything feels like its in it's place. I hear the birds chirping and just generally HAPPY. This medication is my life saver. Omg....I prayed so long for some help. Thank GOD"

JessIsAMess (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Diagnosed with Bipolar twenty two years ago. Treated initially with lithium and Carbamazepine. I stopped taking everything and existed for years. Extremely bad depression last fall which left me a total shell without memory, emotion, feeling. I am now starting on lamictal as it is time for me to live again rather than exist. Thank you all for your feedback. I am actually looking forward to starting this drug and will keep you updated x"

Anabanana217 March 9, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I am bipolar 2 and take 300mg per day. Has changed my life so much. Helped me kick my alcohol addiction and impulsiveness. The last two years have been great. No drug is perfect however, and the withdrawals can be bad. Make sure you take it every day. So I gave it an 8 because I feel great if I keep up with it. I take it right after I wake up because it helps wake me up and gives me energy. Also makes me very patient with myself, other people and just life in general throughout the day. At my current dosage I wouldn't hesitate to call it a smart drug for me because it lessons my impulsive tendencies and quickness to anger. If this doesn't work for you, don't fret, I study medicine, and there is usually always something available to help."

Pugsta March 8, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I haven't found the perfect medication, but this is among the best so far. What is nice is that is also indicated for pain and helps my severe pain condition by reducing neuropathic pain."

CB114 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've been taking 200 mg. Lamictil for the last 2.5 months in combo with 60 mg. Cymbalta. I feel much less manic than before Lamictil but feel Cymbalta is too activating & makes me manic. Seeing my shrink soon to sort it out."

Ntended (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "For me the side effects greatly outweighed the benefits since I didn't feel any benefits. This medicine might be effective for the treatment of something. However bi-polar/depression not so much. Not a whole lot of fun when you stop taking it either."

Huro1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I suffered for 39 years of chronic anxiety. I've taken many meds (SSRIs, benzos) CBT, meditation, etc. They helped to certain extend but the crippling anxiety was always there, waiting for me every morning. Anxiety affected everything in my life, the job I did, the women I dated, the manner I interacted with others and many other aspects of my life. Then I tried Lamotrigine and once I reached 100 mg I felt normal for first time in my life. This is a miracle drug. I'm currently taking 300 mg.I had a had a rash when I was in 100 mg. Many people overreact and stop taking it thinking there skin is going to fell off. I just went back to 75 mg for few more weeks and slowly increased the dose without any issues. 99.9 of the rash is innocuous"

Ansioso March 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've used Lamictal for several years and I feel that it is a very effective drug with little to no side effects. Moods are quite stable; although I still do get some depression. Overall, I've been extremely stable for the past 3 years taking it with a combination of Lexapro for depression."

Velveteen Rabbit March 1, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Horrible, horrible, horrible. My neurologist of 10 years retired. He mentioned and prescribed ambien for my chronic insomnia. Also did regular labs and sleep studies. He referred to another local neurologist who specialized in sleep. Without having my previous medical records and a brief 5 minute office visit, the doc, writes me a 3 month refill on ambien. Ok, then he told me I was bipolar manic and gives me script for lamotrigine. 25mg to taken twice a day. I was a bit confused as to how he came to take diagnose after 5 minutes with me. I've never been told or treated for manic bipolar. He said it helped with my sleep. I took 2 doses as prescribed. I blacked out and work up agitated, confused, crying with thoughts of suicide. I flushed the rest."

cityoflights (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Let me start by saying that have been dealing with anxiety and depression for about 5 years. My first years were terrible, I was always anxious ,sad, fearful and I developed cold intolerance among many symptoms. I had many trips to the ER, stress test and MRI.....blood work and nothing but low vitamin d and hypertension. Anyway I tried most of the SSRI meds but had terrible side effects. I moved to natural supplements but nothing seem to work. My mental health doctor recommended Lamotrigine she said that this med was a mood stabilizer and might help with my anxiety. Well so far its working great its like my anxiety switch in my brain was turned off I take 25mg a day in the morning and dare I say that I'm looking forward to the future again?"

duende71 (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This medication completely turned my life around. For 2 years I've been going through countless of antidepressant cocktails without much luck (one of them was Effexor and Mirtazapine which apparently is one of the most effective combos) It was until a few months ago when I demanded being evaluated for bipolar disorder, and after a few tests they put me on Lamictal (in combination with Wellbutrin, Prozac and Mirtazapine) the first titration weeks was hell, my mood was all over the place. But early February everything did a 180 and now I'm finally able to live a normal adult life"

Bipolar2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was on 400 mgs for six years. In that time it messed with my testosterone. My doctor never said anything about it. Still suffered from manic depression, depression anxiety."

Dean Winchester February 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I wanted to add to my review. Besides developing a very bad rash & chest pains, sometimes Lamictal would give me heartburn & indigestion too. It would last for hours & I would be very nauseated. I never had heartburn or indigestion before, so I know it was the medicine that caused it. I'm so glad I don't take it anymore."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "After reading so many positive reviews on this site, I decided to try Lamotrigine. I found it to be the most effective long-term drug for depression and mood stability. Having tried antidepressants and most mood stabilizers, this was the best drug for me. It does not make me tired or drugged up - just substantially reduces depression. Reduces overall depression, SI, obsessions and anxiety. Slowly went to 200mg/day as I couldn't feel much difference at 100. I had to switch to the brand name as generic was giving me stomach problems. Otherwise no side effects."

Canada345 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 19, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've had a few unpleasant side effects. I feel truly blessed with this medication. I had bipolar 2 and other more common medications were not an option for my mood disorder. It keeps me so much more stable. I took a lot of drugs before and was suicidal. I was able to get off drugs and stopped my suicidal urges. I had grown unfaithful with psychiatry. I was sure that this medicine would not work like every other thing but it helped me so much. There are so many positive effects. Prevents suicidal urges, lessen depression, relaxes my body, helped me take lower doses of Xanax, helps anxiety, helps sleep, Happy sometimes Cons - It effects my memory bad and I've lost a lot of hair. I'm a girl and my hair is really thinning out. :/"

Jennycccxzx (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 18, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Lamictal is a great medication. The titration takes quite a while, but it's worth it -- honestly. It isn't too effective at controlling the hypo or full blown mania -- as something like Geodon -- but it's a crown jewel for depression, especially treatment resistant depression. In terms of side effects there are few to none for most people. What I got was some mild dizziness and photosensitivity/blurred vision (a little irritating but nothing serious). In combo with Zoloft this was the "power cocktail" I was on for years."

Psychtraveler (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 16, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I started at 25 mg of Lamictal. After 2 weeks my doctor increased it to 50 mg. 2 weeks after increasing my med I noticed a minor skin rash on my chest one night. I overlooked it & continued taking the Lamictal. When my doctor increased it to 100 mg that is when I started having a bad reaction. That night I broke out in a bad rash on my chest, stomach & left arm (not my right arm). I also started having bad chest pains. I called my doctors office the next day & the nurse told me to stop taking the Lamictal & go to the hospital. I'm stubborn, so I refused to go. My chest pains had gone away & the rash was clearing up, so I wasn't as worried about it as I was the night before. I decided to go to the EmergiCare instead & I turned out to be OK"

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2017