User Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal XR, Subvenite, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal CD

Lamotrigine has an average rating of 7.0 out of 10 from a total of 75 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety. 61% of those users who reviewed Lamotrigine reported a positive effect, while 24% reported a negative effect.

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

7.0/10 average rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lamotrigine

Prez · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 7, 2021

“Literally saved my life after given numerous antidepressants that didn’t work. I have severe anxiety and some depression. Was unable to function. Lamictal restored me back to not sick anymore me.”

Ralph April 23, 2021

“Amazing- so even keeled. Feeling so much more confident. No side effects at 25mgs”

Loz1981 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 17, 2021

“I have been having really good results with lamotrigine for anxiety. Tried numerous SSRI’s, SNRI’s, Buspar, Pregabalin and nothing seemed to work, everything was too activating. I’ve been on clonazepam for around 6 years and I’ve managed to reduce my dose of this by 50% already whilst taking lamotrigine. My outlook on life has also changed for the better. If you have tried the drugs above and found them too activating or in-affective definitely try this. I’ve been using it for 8 weeks at 100mg per day. Not side effects at all.”

Kate June 4, 2020

“I never review meds but I feel like I’m doing a disservice but not sharing. SO PLEASE READ! I was prescribed lamotrigine at my lowest point. I was struggling with anxiety, panic attacks, depression and PMMD. I was facing constant intrusive thoughts about death and sadness. I came home from the doctors after being prescribed and read these reviews and bawled my eyes out. I was so afraid of taking this medication. Yet, I needed something to help ASAP. I have now been taking lamotrigine for 3 months and my anxiety is much lower, my emotions are not out of control before my period and I have more peace of mind. I don’t have any bad side affects. My biggest recommendation is to start with a low dose (50mg) and after two weeks (100mg). I feel like taking more than this ups your chance of having a bad reaction. We are all different so there is no guarantee. Just know that this website is usual used if you have had a relatively bad experience so take that into consideration.”

Sb123 October 25, 2019

“I have struggled with anxiety off and on over the years. I tried SSRI’s in the past and those never gave me much of any relief. I got to a point where I was in a downward spiral of anxiety (crazy thoughts, wild mood swings, uneasy digestive issues, sleep issues, etc). I decided to give medicine another shot. My doc prescribed me lamictal and now on 100mg. I am MUCH more stable. I don’t have the crazy intrusive thoughts as much and my perspective on life is much more positive. It did not make me dull or any other negative side effect. It just gradually allowed me to be myself again and enjoy life. Please do know that medication in general can absolutely help. Do not listen to outsiders who do not understand how you feel. Medication is a personal option that you should feel no judgment about. If it helps you then that’s all that matters! It may take awhile to find the right medication for you but it is worth it. Never give up. There is something that will help you.”

k · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 10, 2020

“I have taken lamotrigine for years with no side effects. It takes approximately 1.5-2 months for lamotrigine to take full effect. Side effects are typically avoided by starting at very low doses (I started at 25 mg once a day) and slowly increasing the dose over time. Taking higher doses too rapidly or without physician consultation increases risks of side effects, and you shouldn't expect to see full results within a couple days or even a couple weeks. I hope this helps someone feel less anxious about trying out this medication and feel more informed! (I am educated on this topic because I'm an MD student.)”

J March 2, 2021

“I started on lamictal as I have bad mood swings, depression, severe anxiety, and OCD type thoughts. This medication was a life saver, I thought. I started at 25mg and noticed very positive changes. My anxiety got better. When I went to 37.5mg my anxiety stopped, OCD thoughts stopped, depression stopped, I was so happy I thought I found the medication for me. When I went up to 50 mg I got a small rash, my anxiety and thoughts spiralled out of control, my depression worsened, I felt suicidal. Now I am trying to get off the medication. I’m very sad. Has this happened to anyone else?”

caro February 3, 2020

“Lamictal completely changed my life. Before I started it, I'd have bursts of anger due to pent up anxiety over the nit-pickiest things. I thought I was just a jerk and didn't understand why. Quickly after I started taking Lamictal (250mg for anxiety) I noticed a huge difference. I felt relaxed for once. Not euphoric, or like a different person, just... Normal! Calm, collected, but still sharp. Lamictal was like a valve that drained my anger out when I was just about full of rage. I personally haven't noticed many side effects, at least none that I don't already have from SSRIs. Loss of coordination is a big one and I only get tremors if I haven't eaten but that might just be low blood sugar. In conclusion, being someone who suffers from chronic general anxiety disorder and major depressive disorder, I can definitely see Lamictal being an effective long term medication. Works great for me.”

joe · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 29, 2019

“This made life so much better. I think my doctors prescribed every SSRI and SNRI there is. Each one made me sicker than the last one. A couple of them made me miss weeks of work at a time. I started on such a low dose that it made no difference, I was just happy it didn't make me sick, so I kept taking it. Finally I went up to a full 25mg and I will never forget the first time I felt this stuff kick a panic attack's ass! I literally felt it stuff it down and smother it! 6 months later I'm up to 50mg and on the rare occasion I feel an attack coming on it is never as severe as it used to be. After doing some reading on this med, it is the last resort for anxiety. If You get sick on anti depressants, stop messing around and demand your doctor prescribe this. I was worried that this was a seizure med and was skeptical, it has exceeded expectations. I doubt there is anything that cures anxiety, but lamotrigine sure works for Me.”

Sanityseeker · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 18, 2019

“I was put on this for severe anxiety 6 weeks ago and it has given me my life back! I can now go in public places without having a breakdown and my family has noticed a huge difference. I’m taking better care of myself and have the energy and desire to walk again. The only downfall is you have to titrate up slowly so you can get discouraged at first thinking it isn’t working. I’m now on 200mg and it’s been a game changer. Don’t give up on this medicine as it is a miracle worker. The only side effects I’ve had is a runny nose and headaches when starting it but I’d take that any day over the crippling anxiety I once had.”

goodhands · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2019

“Have been suffering from anxiety, panic and bipolar depression for 20+ years. Have been on every cocktail imaginable and was my best on Klonopin, Remeron and Zyprexa. Zyprexa caused me to gain 60 lbs over 4 years and made my blood sugar crazy. Trying to come off was really awful, I dropped from 10mg to 5mg to 2.5 to 1.25 for months. After several failed attempts trying to cross with Latuda, Abilify and Seroquel, my doctor prescribed Lamictal and it's changed my life completely. My depression is all but gone, my moods are better, anxiety is lower and I've been Zyprexa free for 2 months and lost 19 lbs. I am currently at 50 mg and our goal dosage is 100mg. Took a few days to kick in and getting better by the day. Finally getting my life back!!!!!”

Shorts · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 15, 2020

“This pill literally changed my life. It took away a lot of social anxiety and a lot of depression. No anti depressants helped me, they all gave me awful side effects. But this pill worked wonders! I take 200mg every night and its the only medication i take. I used to be on 3 different pills but now this pill alone has worked the best! Truly grateful for this pill!”

Fibroguy · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 28, 2021

“I suffer from severe fibromyalga and an undiagnosed mood disorder, crippling waves of anxiety has always been the most prominent of my symptoms relating to my mental health. I've been on 100 mg of lamotagrine for almost two years now and this drug has been a life saver for me. For the couple of years prior to me going on this medicine my mental health was deteriorating, my depression/anxiety was so bad during certain episodes that I'm lucky I didn't harm myself. I ended up in an emergency room ER and was given this drug as an outpatient. Lamotagrine has allowed me to function normally again and regain control of my mental health with minimal side effects.”

Rainy · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 10, 2021

“I have had excellent results with this medication. I have paralyzing anxiety related to PTSD. I have not had any side effects. I know it works because I chose to lower my dosage and at a certain level the anxiety was unbearable and slightly increased the dosing and I had perfect control over my anxiety again. It works”

Meli May 4, 2020

“I had tried lamictal about a year ago for anxiety and depression, and worked my way up to 100mg dosage. Mostly I noticed that I would get very emotional while on this medication, to the point that it was completely overwhelming and uncontrollable. My first two days on the medication, I felt good. But I started having very violent and vivid nightmares and insomnia. I would have a panic attacks daily. I experienced some uncontrollable tremors and shaking over my whole body for hours. I felt very sick, and nauseous. Recently I’ve noticed I had strong impulsive thoughts, which triggered panic attacks and just left me unable to function. At this point I feel like I’m not able to function in my daily life. I have had to take clonazepam multiple times daily since I’ve been on this medication when I had gone over two months without taking any.”

10stars December 17, 2020

“Truly life changing! I started taking lamotrigine when I had intense anxiety and some depression. After around a month I started feeling more moments of happiness, and now almost two years down the line I feel like I am living a different life! Not everything is perfect of course, and I still have anxiety but it is not a crushing feeling of doom. I look forward to things in life again! I would recommend trying it to anyone who has tried multiple medications and hasn’t found something that helped. Just be careful starting it and make sure to watch out for the rash! Odds are you will be totally fine, I had zero side effects.”

laedybird · Taken for less than 1 month November 21, 2019

“I just started taking Lamictal about 2 weeks ago. I have severe anxiety disorder. I was prescribed this medication to help as a mood stabilizer. As far as that goes it has helped quiet my mind but I have noticed it gives me anxiety attacks mostly after I eat and fluttering in my heart when I lay down at night as well as shaky vision at times.I am supposed to move up to 100 mg this coming week as I started 2 weeks ago on 50 mg.It has helped stabilizer my thought but I still have bad anxiety on it so I am not sure if I will stick with it or not.I hope this helps someone.”

Michelle · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 4, 2020

“I struggle with major anxiety, panic disorder, OCD, PTSD. And I have been put on a few different drugs. I panic every time I change meds, because prozac I had a very bad reaction too. I have been on lamictal for a few months, just recently upped my dose to 100mg. I go slow about upping dose because of panic. It seems so far doing me very well. I don't notice a sudden change. I just notice over the time I am stabalizing. I do take ativan frequently for my panic. But my intrusive thoughts are not constant anymore.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 11, 2020

“My anxiety is severe where I experience nerve pain. I was prescribed to the medication lamotrigine from my psychiatrist 2 months ago but, I was scared to take it. I recently got over the fear of taking this medication and started it 8 days ago - I feel no difference, just feel more anxious and jittery. No problems in sleep but, I would wake up feeling super jittery from chest to legs. Will continue to take it and see how it goes in the next few weeks”

BRUSA · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 7, 2016

“Lamotrigine is my wonder drug. I was suffering from debilitating, anxiety. My doctor tried several antidepressants (Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Paxil, Vybrid), and I had no benefits; only side effects. We also tried all kinds of benzodiazepines and they did nothing for me. Ambien would grant me only 3 hours of sleep. My symptoms would go from clammy hands and feet, heart racing and high blood pressure to sheer terror. My first day (really) on Lamotrigine and I already felt the symptoms subside. On the following days I felt even better. In two weeks I was feeling like myself again, so much that I was able to jump on a plane and travel to Brazil by myself. If nothing is working for you, give Lamotrigine a try. I am grateful I did.”

aushdkjn · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 29, 2018

“Lamictal has changed my life for the better. I tried SSRIs (made me a zombie) and Bupropion (gave me daily panic attacks). On 25mg of Lamictal, I'm myself again. I still get anxiety, but the kind that everyone gets (when it makes sense to be). No more panic attacks, it works quickly, and I no longer feel overwhelmed all the time.”

Tjnoir · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 16, 2017

“I have a family history of severe mental illness (schizoaffective and bipolar on mom's side and severe anxiety/panic attacks on dad's). About 3 years ago I started falling into depression and having severe anxiety attacks. I'm generally a happy and optimistic person, and out of nowhere I'm barely functioning, having some existential crisis, and sitting around at home crying and scared for my husband to leave to even go to the store. On top of that, I started becoming really afraid I would develop psychosis after growing up seeing what my mom dealt with. Decided I wasn't going to put off dealing with it and saw psych. Lamictal has literally given me my life back without making me feel numb. I still feel like my old, slightly wild self again.”

Audrey · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 23, 2019

“I’ve been taking lamotrigine for about 3 months now for my anxiety and it’s been pretty good. My social anxiety is completely gone, and it’s truly life changing. Sometimes I’ll feel more empty than I did before I started taking it. Overall, it’s very balancing and helps me feel more relaxed.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 5, 2018

“The only thing I've tried that's helped my anxiety and not had debilitating side effects. You have to slowly ramp up the dose to avoid the potential rash. 25mg, then 50mg, then 100mg, etc. It's also a bit stimulating for a few days whenever you increase the dose and this can manifest in anxiety if you're not moving around. But I can say that this drug is great - it helps all of my co-morbid symptoms to some degree - anxiety, bipolar, mood, etc. I'm now on 300mg extended release and feeling a lot better than I did before I started this. It brought my anxiety from an 8 down to a 5, I'd say, which still isn't great but I'm actually functional now. Been taking about four months.”

Tex September 6, 2019

“I am on my third month of the med using for anxiety. I was on 25mg and just went to 50mg this past week. It has helped with my anxiety. I am now able to go out places and not freak out. I rather stayed home before but I can do more now without the anxiety. I also use Lutuda for bipolar and Ambien at night. Since starting this, it has truly helped me all around. I have lost some weight and had a bad acne break out, dizziness and memory loss but I’m going to continue it to see what happens. Thanks”

Roetusflower · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 12, 2018

“As a MH clinician and anxiety sufferer with co-morbid depression I can assuredly say that if SSRI's failed you, you *need* to try lamotrigine. Busperidone gave me that common "weird" feeling. And while I don't have bipolar, I got hypomanic symptoms and seriously worsened depression/ anxiety with SSRI's (this is widely unknown but common occurrence). After confirming I have a gene that causes the latter, I spoke with my amazing prescriber about giving this a go. Since then, my world has changed for the better. I'm at a higher dose so I often feel a little lethargic but I'll take that side-effect over SSRI's many terrible ones any day. Lamotrigine completely changed my world- highly recommended. I really do suggest taking a genetics test as well. You very well could come up with the same result.”

Walker · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 28, 2019

“I love lamictal. I have anxiety, depression and epilepsy. I can’t take SSRI’s because they are too activating for me. Lamictal helps so much with my anxiety depression and racy thoughts. Lamictal is not that activating however it keeps me up at night so I started taking it in the morning. I take it along with a lose dose of Topamax and they both help with my mood too.”

Dstr · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 13, 2016

“I have Bipolar 1 along with some horrible horrible anxiety. Started taking Lamictal a few months ago and I'm now on 200mg. I haven't felt this stable in many many many years. My anxiety has pretty much disappeared it feels so strange living a normal life again. I'm so happy. Please give it a go :-)”