User Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal XR, Lamictal CD, Subvenite, Lamictal ODT

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lamotrigine

Kate June 4, 2020

“I never review meds but I feel like I’m doing a disservice but not sharing. SO PLEASE READ! I was prescribed lamotrigine at my lowest point. I was struggling with anxiety, panic attacks, depression and PMMD. I was facing constant intrusive thoughts about death and sadness. I came home from the doctors after being prescribed and read these reviews and bawled my eyes out. I was so afraid of taking this medication. Yet, I needed something to help ASAP. I have now been taking lamotrigine for 3 months and my anxiety is much lower, my emotions are not out of control before my period and I have more peace of mind. I don’t have any bad side affects. My biggest recommendation is to start with a low dose (50mg) and after two weeks (100mg). I feel like taking more than this ups your chance of having a bad reaction. We are all different so there is no guarantee. Just know that this website is usual used if you have had a relatively bad experience so take that into consideration.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 11, 2020

“My anxiety is severe where I experience nerve pain. I was prescribed to the medication lamotrigine from my psychiatrist 2 months ago but, I was scared to take it. I recently got over the fear of taking this medication and started it 8 days ago - I feel no difference, just feel more anxious and jittery. No problems in sleep but, I would wake up feeling super jittery from chest to legs. Will continue to take it and see how it goes in the next few weeks”

Meli May 4, 2020

“I had tried lamictal about a year ago for anxiety and depression, and worked my way up to 100mg dosage. Mostly I noticed that I would get very emotional while on this medication, to the point that it was completely overwhelming and uncontrollable. My first two days on the medication, I felt good. But I started having very violent and vivid nightmares and insomnia. I would have a panic attacks daily. I experienced some uncontrollable tremors and shaking over my whole body for hours. I felt very sick, and nauseous. Recently I’ve noticed I had strong impulsive thoughts, which triggered panic attacks and just left me unable to function. At this point I feel like I’m not able to function in my daily life. I have had to take clonazepam multiple times daily since I’ve been on this medication when I had gone over two months without taking any.”

Gypsy G · Taken for less than 1 month March 22, 2020

“I have started lamictal and have been taking for approximately 3 weeks. It has got me out of bed and given me life again. I was prescribed this by a psychiatrist. I was depressed.”

Trinak · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2020

“Lexapro worked for years then stopped. Tried multiple other meds without success. Dr though we’d try lam as a mood stabilizer. First 2 days I felt a weird “ disconnected” feeling but that left. I had internal tremor in the mornings which lasted till noon followed by a mild mania/ restlessness in afternoon. I was definitely cognitively sharper. By evening I would feel a bit of a crash/ low. But then it started to cause nightmares for me, waking multiple times at night in panic and sweating (I have prior trauma). So too sum things up, tremor, mania and nightmares were not doing my anxiety and depression any good. I slowly reduced and stopped this med as it wasn’t right for me.”

Sel · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 7, 2020

“Have only been on this drug for a month or so, but I've been extremely dissociated and slow, and my relation to time has gotten much, much worse. It was prescribed to help me sleep, which it has not done at all, I find it actually keeps me up longer.”

caro February 3, 2020

“Lamictal completely changed my life. Before I started it, I'd have bursts of anger due to pent up anxiety over the nit-pickiest things. I thought I was just a jerk and didn't understand why. Quickly after I started taking Lamictal (250mg for anxiety) I noticed a huge difference. I felt relaxed for once. Not euphoric, or like a different person, just... Normal! Calm, collected, but still sharp. Lamictal was like a valve that drained my anger out when I was just about full of rage. I personally haven't noticed many side effects, at least none that I don't already have from SSRIs. Loss of coordination is a big one and I only get tremors if I haven't eaten but that might just be low blood sugar. In conclusion, being someone who suffers from chronic general anxiety disorder and major depressive disorder, I can definitely see Lamictal being an effective long term medication. Works great for me.”

naibaf · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 9, 2020

“lamotrigine didn't work for me and my anxiety. I've been on 300mg dose for 3 months but there was no improvement neither in my anxiety nor in my depression symptoms. At least I had no significant side effects either.”

laedybird · Taken for less than 1 month November 21, 2019

“I just started taking Lamictal about 2 weeks ago. I have severe anxiety disorder. I was prescribed this medication to help as a mood stabilizer. As far as that goes it has helped quiet my mind but I have noticed it gives me anxiety attacks mostly after I eat and fluttering in my heart when I lay down at night as well as shaky vision at times.I am supposed to move up to 100 mg this coming week as I started 2 weeks ago on 50 mg.It has helped stabilizer my thought but I still have bad anxiety on it so I am not sure if I will stick with it or not.I hope this helps someone.”

goodhands · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2019

“Have been suffering from anxiety, panic and bipolar depression for 20+ years. Have been on every cocktail imaginable and was my best on Klonopin, Remeron and Zyprexa. Zyprexa caused me to gain 60 lbs over 4 years and made my blood sugar crazy. Trying to come off was really awful, I dropped from 10mg to 5mg to 2.5 to 1.25 for months. After several failed attempts trying to cross with Latuda, Abilify and Seroquel, my doctor prescribed Lamictal and it's changed my life completely. My depression is all but gone, my moods are better, anxiety is lower and I've been Zyprexa free for 2 months and lost 19 lbs. I am currently at 50 mg and our goal dosage is 100mg. Took a few days to kick in and getting better by the day. Finally getting my life back!!!!!”

jb October 30, 2019

“I've been on this for years. I am a stroke survivor and thought my very bad hand tremors were due to stroke. No, they were made much worse by lamotrigine. I thought so though one doctor said not. I have cut down very gradually to 25mgs from 200mg (taken about a year) and the withdrawal has been horrible once at about 50 to 75- exhaustion, anxiety and bad gut aches and obsessive thoughts. Almost as bad as SSRI withdrawal. So I am eventually stopping altogether. I have now tried virtually every mood disorder/anxiety/depression med so will just have to use much more cognitive techniques. I also take inderal and clonazepam (.5 once a day). I know I am addicted to clonazepam but I feel I have little choice given that my anxiety was very severe leading to inability to work at all. I'm sure that lamotrigine helps many people . I caution people if you discontinued, then go slow. Hopefully now I will be able to eat with one hand as the shaking will lessen.”

Sb123 October 25, 2019

“I have struggled with anxiety off and on over the years. I tried SSRI’s in the past and those never gave me much of any relief. I got to a point where I was in a downward spiral of anxiety (crazy thoughts, wild mood swings, uneasy digestive issues, sleep issues, etc). I decided to give medicine another shot. My doc prescribed me lamictal and now on 100mg. I am MUCH more stable. I don’t have the crazy intrusive thoughts as much and my perspective on life is much more positive. It did not make me dull or any other negative side effect. It just gradually allowed me to be myself again and enjoy life. Please do know that medication in general can absolutely help. Do not listen to outsiders who do not understand how you feel. Medication is a personal option that you should feel no judgment about. If it helps you then that’s all that matters! It may take awhile to find the right medication for you but it is worth it. Never give up. There is something that will help you.”

Mellie0404 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 4, 2019

“After discontinuing Klonopin, my doctor prescribed Lamictal. After my first dose, I immediately began to feel much better. It was wonderful & unexpected. That night, shortly after going to bed, I began to sweat like crazy! I figured it had to be a strange coincidence, but the next day, the sweating continued. My doctor said sweating was not a side effect, when I explained my symptom. She said to keep taking the Lamictal, and so I did. Long story short, I had to discontinue this medication. It was wonderful for anxiety, but the sweating was just too much, and I couldn't get a good night's sleep.”

Walker · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 28, 2019

“I love lamictal. I have anxiety, depression and epilepsy. I can’t take SSRI’s because they are too activating for me. Lamictal helps so much with my anxiety depression and racy thoughts. Lamictal is not that activating however it keeps me up at night so I started taking it in the morning. I take it along with a lose dose of Topamax and they both help with my mood too.”

Tex September 6, 2019

“I am on my third month of the med using for anxiety. I was on 25mg and just went to 50mg this past week. It has helped with my anxiety. I am now able to go out places and not freak out. I rather stayed home before but I can do more now without the anxiety. I also use Lutuda for bipolar and Ambien at night. Since starting this, it has truly helped me all around. I have lost some weight and had a bad acne break out, dizziness and memory loss but I’m going to continue it to see what happens. Thanks”

Ethan · Taken for less than 1 month August 28, 2019

“After almost 2 weeks of taking 100mg of lamotrigine( while on my 6th month of prozac 20mg) I've had headaches that became migraines, and worse anxiety that became nightly panic attacks. I've had to call off work, leave my friends, and frequently drop whatever I'm doing to deal with these debilitating side effects.”

coralreef77 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 19, 2019

“Created anxiety.”

lisa · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2019

“I have terrible anxiety and 6mg of klonopin sometimes does not help. I am now wondering about lamictal and at what dose? ”

Pinkalicious · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 10, 2019

“Really helps keep mood swings with stress/anxiety at bay.”

Jfb · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2019

“Lamictal made my anxiety worse. With each increase in dosage I became more agitated. I stopped at 100mg and stayed on it for one month; during that month I experienced more panic attacks than I'd ever had in such a short time. My dr weaned me off and my anxiety got better. We are now trying a different medication.”

Alex · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2019

“After a week on Lamotrigine my suicidal thoughts got worse. I was prescribed this medicine for anxiety but it only made my anxiety worse.”

Audrey · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 23, 2019

“I’ve been taking lamotrigine for about 3 months now for my anxiety and it’s been pretty good. My social anxiety is completely gone, and it’s truly life changing. Sometimes I’ll feel more empty than I did before I started taking it. Overall, it’s very balancing and helps me feel more relaxed.”

joe · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 29, 2019

“This made life so much better. I think my doctors prescribed every SSRI and SNRI there is. Each one made me sicker than the last one. A couple of them made me miss weeks of work at a time. I started on such a low dose that it made no difference, I was just happy it didn't make me sick, so I kept taking it. Finally I went up to a full 25mg and I will never forget the first time I felt this stuff kick a panic attack's ass! I literally felt it stuff it down and smother it! 6 months later I'm up to 50mg and on the rare occasion I feel an attack coming on it is never as severe as it used to be. After doing some reading on this med, it is the last resort for anxiety. If You get sick on anti depressants, stop messing around and demand your doctor prescribe this. I was worried that this was a seizure med and was skeptical, it has exceeded expectations. I doubt there is anything that cures anxiety, but lamotrigine sure works for Me.”

Sanityseeker · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 18, 2019

“I was put on this for severe anxiety 6 weeks ago and it has given me my life back! I can now go in public places without having a breakdown and my family has noticed a huge difference. I’m taking better care of myself and have the energy and desire to walk again. The only downfall is you have to titrate up slowly so you can get discouraged at first thinking it isn’t working. I’m now on 200mg and it’s been a game changer. Don’t give up on this medicine as it is a miracle worker. The only side effects I’ve had is a runny nose and headaches when starting it but I’d take that any day over the crippling anxiety I once had.”

mash · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 16, 2019

“I could not really tell if this medication made a huge difference for me or not. I was on this for 5 years and noticed some relief for anxiety/depression but not a huge relief. I had to switch to Trileptal because I changed doctors. Honestly not too sure about how this drug affected me though I did feel some relief from it initially.”