User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Anxiety

"I have a family history of severe mental illness (schizoaffective and bipolar on mom's side and severe anxiety/panic attacks on dad's). About 3 years ago I started falling into depression and having severe anxiety attacks. I'm generally a happy and optimistic person, and out of nowhere I'm barely functioning, having some existential crisis, and sitting around at home crying and scared for my husband to leave to even go to the store. On top of that, I started becoming really afraid I would develop psychosis after growing up seeing what my mom dealt with. Decided I wasn't going to put off dealing with it and saw psych. Lamictal has literally given me my life back without making me feel numb. I still feel like my old, slightly wild self again."

Tjnoir (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I never knew I would ever be able to feel normal again, whatever normal is? Anyway, I too have struggled with anxiety and depression/PTSD for over 20 yrs. I began taking Lamotrigine a couple of months ago and literally within a couple of days, I noticed that big ball of anxiousness I used to feel in my chest was gone.. I started with .25 mg and now I'm at 200 mg and am feeling way better.. the downside, if you want to call it that, is that I am starting to have feelings again. I cry at almost everything but it's appropriate feelings that I think I was prevented from feeling because of the psyche meds I took for so long that did nothing but ruin my life and give me terrible side effects. I am grateful to have found this medication."

JenRendy July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had debilitating anxiety and depression most of my life and going into perimenopause made it a thousand times worse. I was on Seroquel and Lexapro, but my mood swings, depression, extreme fear, panic attacks and anxiety was still absolutely paralyzing. I also developed intrusive thoughts. My doctor started me on Buspar, Bio-Identical Hormone therapy and Lamictil. It changed my life. I have had no serious side effects other than mild memory impairment at first. I control the Lamictil rash on my face with 5% Benzoyl Peroxide Cream and Hydrocortisone cream. Prayer, faith in God and coping mechanisms have also helped me tremendously. My mind is clear and I feel normal. Give it a shot!"

A.B. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had anxiety and bouts of depression my whole life. I've tried ADHD meds, anxiety and SSRI's and have self medicated too for years. My wife, a therapist, has been telling me I've bipolar 2 for years. We'll, recently I've been having anxiety and near panic attacks every day. So I started taken lamotragine 2x25 a day and after 3 days my panic went away and my racing thoughts and depression too. I never thought a drug could work this well but it's been amazing I really can't believe it"

Volanis June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a terrible experience with lamotrigine. it made me irritable beyond belief, as well it substantially lowered my mood and gave me suicidal thoughts. It's hard to say if it was the lamotrigine to blame for my suicidal ideation, as I have struggled with depression for years, but this time the thoughts blindsided me and we're extremely strong and powerful. This conveniently happened as my dose increased."

ashleypaige2 June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 200 milligram of lamotrigine and 60 milligrams of Prozac everyday. This has been very effective for my anxiety and depression. Though it took about four weeks on the Lamotrigine to stop with a dry mouth and headaches, I would have to say that would be the only downfall."

GG2017 May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffered for 39 years of chronic anxiety. I've taken many meds (SSRIs, benzos) CBT, meditation, etc. They helped to certain extend but the crippling anxiety was always there, waiting for me every morning. Anxiety affected everything in my life, the job I did, the women I dated, the manner I interacted with others and many other aspects of my life. Then I tried Lamotrigine and once I reached 100 mg I felt normal for first time in my life. This is a miracle drug. I'm currently taking 300 mg.I had a had a rash when I was in 100 mg. Many people overreact and stop taking it thinking there skin is going to fell off. I just went back to 75 mg for few more weeks and slowly increased the dose without any issues. 99.9 of the rash is innocuous"

Ansioso March 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Let me start by saying that have been dealing with anxiety and depression for about 5 years. My first years were terrible, I was always anxious ,sad, fearful and I developed cold intolerance among many symptoms. I had many trips to the ER, stress test and MRI.....blood work and nothing but low vitamin d and hypertension. Anyway I tried most of the SSRI meds but had terrible side effects. I moved to natural supplements but nothing seem to work. My mental health doctor recommended Lamotrigine she said that this med was a mood stabilizer and might help with my anxiety. Well so far its working great its like my anxiety switch in my brain was turned off I take 25mg a day in the morning and dare I say that I'm looking forward to the future again?"

duende71 (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have Bipolar 1 along with some horrible horrible anxiety. Started taking Lamictal a few months ago and I'm now on 200mg. I haven't felt this stable in many many many years. My anxiety has pretty much disappeared it feels so strange living a normal life again. I'm so happy. Please give it a go :-)"

Dstr (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this medication since July 2016 and it has done wonders for me especially my mood swings. Started at 25mg and slowly went up to 125mg. I still get anxiety attacks but not as bad as before I went on this medication. I think learning how to manage the anxiety along with this medication can make a difference. Still get bouts of depression as I have been diagnosed persistent depression."

whippet (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I don't think this is working for me...was or in therapy and this was bumped up to 100mg...I still feel anxious, I still worry a lot, I still have bad mood swings...Everyone and I do mean everyone annoys me...I feel bad for being mean all of the time...the only plus is I try to resolve issues by talking it out rather than cutting everyone off."

Annoyed and Always agitated November 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had a seizure disorder for 10 years but hadn't had a tonic-clonic in about 6 years, so I've been off Lyrica for a year. I have GAD, PTSD & minor depression-but the massive anxiety nearly killed me, I had become borderline agoraphobic, could not slow my heart down, lost 90lbs in 2 yrs-really thought I was dying & actually reached the point of being ok with death as long as the anxiety stopped. I've been on benzos for years, but need to get off. I was admitted to the hospital for chest pains and mid Ativan push, had a t-c seizure. Enter Lamictal. Today is day one. My heart rate is normal. The bald eagles/vultures in my stomach (not butterflies) are gone. I feel more relaxed than I can ever remember. Fearless. Thank God."

TheAnxiousEpileptic (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lamotrigine is my wonder drug. I was suffering from debilitating, anxiety. My doctor tried several antidepressants (Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Paxil, Vybrid), and I had no benefits; only side effects. We also tried all kinds of benzodiazepines and they did nothing for me. Ambien would grant me only 3 hours of sleep. My symptoms would go from clammy hands and feet, heart racing and high blood pressure to sheer terror. My first day (really) on Lamotrigine and I already felt the symptoms subside. On the following days I felt even better. In two weeks I was feeling like myself again, so much that I was able to jump on a plane and travel to Brazil by myself. If nothing is working for you, give Lamotrigine a try. I am grateful I did."

BRUSA (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking Lamictal after going to a PHP program. This medication worked really well for me but I was only on it for 2 months because I developed a rash and acne. It made my obsessive and thoughts occur less. I was able to handle situations with more logic and less emotional outbursts. I mean it truly was a great medication. However, my skin has always been clear but it was making me breakout more than I ever have in my life. I also felt like my hair was growing out thinner. If my emotions were totally out of control and life threatening than yes, I would have stayed on it despit the skin and hair problems. However for me it wasn't worth it. I would recommend at least trying it out."

Jessiee December 14, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hey, So I have taken this medication now for about 3 weeks to help me sleep!, the odd thing is, is I have woken up at odd times of the night not being able to fall back asleep!, which triggers my depression later on in the day if I do not get enough sleep, I found out I had Anxiey and Depression while I was on my mission for the church of jesus Christ of latter day saints, I have felt better since being on medication, but I am still waking up at odd times in the night!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"75mg is the dose i've been steady on. Worked up at 25mg every 2 weeks, with a day or 2 of itchiness on each increase. I tried 100mg for a few days and felt more anxious and depressed. Went back down to 75mg and feel pretty good. Considering insomnia has been a very serious issue for me, Lamictal is the first med i've been on that isn't an AD and doesn't hurt my sleep (I take it in the AM). When I was trying ADs, the Klonopin barely seemed to work for sleep, I still take Klonopin for sleep but at least I can sleep through the night now. Nice being off the ADs. Hope this one works long-term and I can get off the Klonopin eventually which I think is causing my moderate brain fog. Eh, life is much better than it was. I recommend it!"

brett84 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 17, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had high hopes for this medication. At 25 mg, I thought I noticed a slight positive effect. About when I upped from 25 to 50 mg, I experienced about two weeks of feeling extremely depressed, which continued when I increased to 75 mg. It did somewhat decrease my agitated anxiety, but did not help with my obsessive ruminations. Aside from the depressed mood and mild sedation, I didn't notice any side effects. When I decreased back to 25 mg, I noticed the depressed mood lifting and an increase in anxiety."

lou3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"No side effects. I've been suffering from depression and anxiety since I was a teenager, it had help so much. I am so thankful for this medicine it saved my life, I would suffer for days with no sleep. anxiety is a killer I am glad this med is on the market. I would have committed suicide because of the anxiety, I give many thanks to my doctor for finding something that helped, I can live my life finally."

Root Beer Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm taking this medication for anxiety and mood swings. It really does close to nothing with my anxiety. It helps my moods a bit but my anxiety is more bothersome. Not only that, my memory is complete crap. I have trouble finding words, memorizing new information and spelling. I am a great speller and ever since I started taking Lamictal, I've forgotten to spell some words which i would have no problem with before. Overall, I feel this med is doing more bad than good. I started taking Seroquel and I can already feel more positive changes than Lamictal has done since I started taking it."

Mikasa May 12, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on a small dose of this for about a month. It has done wonders for me! I have struggled with anxiety my entire life and have been on several different meds over the years. This has really helped to calm me down. I have even lost about 7 lbs over the past month because it is curbing my desire for food. Everyone notices the difference."

vistard April 15, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've taken it for a week and I have had less anxiety in last couple of days. I hope it continues to help."

Anonymous8 December 25, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking this as a "mood stabilizer", which has been working, but in all honesty I think they put me on this for mood because of the way the other medicines were making me (Risperidone made me psychotic, so did Zoloft). I'm off those now and am currently on Lamotrigine. But it does nothing for anxiety, not one thing. It's made me worry MORE."

WolfGirl22 August 28, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I noticed no change. No side effects, no benefits."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2012