User Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Epilepsy

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal XR, Lamictal CD, Subvenite, Lamictal ODT

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 194 medications used in the treatment of Epilepsy.

Reviews for Lamotrigine

Okondura · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 17, 2020

“Epitec brand of lamotrigine and it is good in controlling epilepsy in my case but it causes diplopia and visual problems”

Donethatbefore · Taken for 10 years or more May 3, 2020

“My daughter takes lamotrine and topamax for generalized seizures. She's 30 years old and has autism, non verbal. Sometimes she will go off at the drop of a hat, I don't know why. She'll pull the dresser drawer out on the floor, she knocked the lamp iff twice, and tried to tear up her am/fm headphones. (Not all at once). Headphones have been taken away. But I'll get another 50mg lamotrine for her and in minutes she's fine. I was reading one person on here was thinking about weaning off them on their own. I'm not a Dr but if I were going to do that, go twice as slow as the Dr would have you do it. Better safe than sorry. Her hair got much thinner over the past 18 years of being on it. Has anyone else experienced hair loss?”

Jen · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 13, 2020

“When I started going to my new neurologist, she transitioned me over to lamotrigine for my Epilepsy because if I was to get pregnant, it causes the least amount of birth defects. Compared to Keppra and Topiramate, I had fewer side effects with Lamotrigine and specifically the Unichem manufacturers. Well, 4 years after I started taking Lamotrigine, I did get pregnant. Over the course of 9 months, I needed to adjust my medication from 500mg to 1,000mg; however, no seizures- thankfully. The one downside about the Unichem manufactures is a lot of pharmacies don’t carry it for Lamotrigine and need to put in a special order so sometimes you need to call multiple pharmacies to see how quick they can order it. I have found in the past couple months, that Walgreens specifically carries the Unichem brand.”

Watercolor · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2020

Lamictal (lamotrigine): “I developed Tardive Dyskinesia after less than 2 months on lamictal for depression”

Stac · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 8, 2020

“I've been on this medication since I was first diagnosed with epilepsy 10 years ago. It was not strong enough by itself since I have different types of seizures. I'm on 300mg twice daily now. Tried a combo with 250mg x 2 of this with Vimpat 200 x daily. Had to add Clobazam 20mg twice daily and it seems to be working. Lowered Vimpat to 100mg and am on 300mg Lamotrigine. But I always experience headaches. Not sure if this is a side effect of the medication or just my Epilepsy :/. Headaches are not too bad. I'm used to it for the most part. Not SUPER extreme.”

Kurisu · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 13, 2019

Lamictal (lamotrigine): “Been on lamictal for about 7 years, it was prescribed to me for myoclonic seizures. My epilepsy improved a bit, but I still have seizures almost every day. When my doctor tried to take me off of it, putting me on keppra, I started having grandmals, so he immediately put it back. I haven't had a grandmal for years now, thankfully, but myoclonic seizures still happen frequently.”

Tdb · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 16, 2019

“I've had 3 full seizures, 2 years ago. I have temporal lobe epilepsy and was having partial seizures before the full fledged one's began but didn't know what they were. It was a sensation of de ja vu, weird right? I started on keppra, it made me so aggressive, I had to switch. The neurologist switched me lamotrigine. He had me start on 25mg am and 25mg pm and taper up. I moved and got a new neurologist. She upped my dosage, again and again. I was having 0 symptoms, 0 problems, no seizures, but she said that my blood level was required to be at a certain percentage to ensure its effectiveness, even though it was already effective. I'm on 300mg am and 300 mg pm now and I absolutely hate this medication. If I don't take it at the same time everyday, I experience extreme mood swings. It has affected many of my relationships. After reading others testimonies and their dosage, I am very frustrated. Why am I on such a high dosage when I have had no symptoms in years now?”

Alexis · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 11, 2019

“Wow, wow, wow. Lamotrigine was the fourth medication I tried for epilepsy and the only one that worked. No extreme side effects other than memory problems. I thought I was one of those people who medications won’t work for, but this here is great!”

Noname · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 9, 2019

Lamictal (lamotrigine): “Lamictal did not work for me, 200mg in am and 200mg pm. No changes with seizures in my sleep but side effects were insomnia, constipation, and hair loss. I had to take sleep aid to get a decent night sleep or else 2 or 3 hours was all I could get”

Tom · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 18, 2019

“I have been taking lamotrigine (generic drug, which brand depends on what my pharmacy has) for just over 6 years. For the first few years I did still have a handful of tonic clonic (grand mal) seizures, but over time my dosage has been increased and I have learned what my major triggers are. Combining these two means that my seizures are well under control - I have been seizure-free for about 2 and a half years now, and am able to drive again. I am on a high dose (200mg morning, 300mg evening) but I don't notice any major side effects. Occasionally I have tremors in my hands in the morning, but only if I have had very disturbed sleep. In the UK lamotrigine is a "first line" drug, in that it is the best choice and most well tolerated of any other anti-epileptic drug. If you are new to an epilepsy diagnosis then I would recommend discussing lamotrigine with your doctor or neurologist before trying any other drug.”

SeeSure · Taken for 10 years or more August 23, 2019

“I've been taking this medication for over a decade now. Had a seizure in the beginning because of CNS adjustment and it's been great. I believe I was a guinea pig for my neurologist at the time because it hadn't been fully studied for epilepsy yet, not sure but something like that. I'm very lucky that this medication has been the only one I've taken and I've only needed a dose increase once. I'm hoping it lasts me until I die or I stop having epilepsy, whichever is first. I didn't get the rash thankfully but I do get very fatigued during the day. It's a mental fatigue so you can still function but you're just exhausted. I highly recommend talking about if this is a good choice for you.”

Janet August 23, 2019

Lamictal (lamotrigine): “NEW ZEALANDERS! On Lamictal or Arrow I'm calling out to you! If you don't know or are against the change to Logem, sign the petition! To find it google - NEW ZEALAND petition for lamictal I know we are all probably facing the inevitable, but if there is any possibility of keeping our lives stable, I'm going to take every chance I can! PHARMAC in NZ has chosen to no longer funding Arrow and Lamictal medication, creating the change to the generic brand Logem. To sign the petition - there is a big yellow box on the petition page on the right of the yellow box there is a "sign petition" option - click on this, put in your name and email, then there is a box to check to agree with the terms and conditions and there is also an "I'm not a robot" to tick.”

Mindy · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 17, 2019

“I took lamotrigine for about 6 months, and it worked great to control my seizures. Side effects were both positive (gave me more energy, I wasn't tired, wanted to go do things) and negative (insomnia). I tried switching to Keppra but had horrible side effects from it so now I'm going back on lamotrigine and hope the insomnia doesn't come back or that they can find a medication to take at night to help me get to sleep. I recommend this medication.”

Sharday July 23, 2019

“I’m 18 and I’ve been on lamictal for about two and a half years. I was recommended to eventually be on 200mg, but I only needed 50mg (25mg in the morning and 25mg at night), and I haven’t had a seizure since I’ve started it. At first, I accidentally took all 50mg in the morning instead of splitting it which gave me a minor body rash, but once I stopped taking it all at once, it cleared up in a few days. I get very real lucid nightmares though, however I’ve also had a few real dreams while on it which have been amazing and beautiful. So really the nightmares are the downfall for me. It also really helps with my mood, but if I take it late, I’ll be sad and depressed until I take it, then takes about 1 - 2 hours to work.”

Jai · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 11, 2019

“I've been on this for 5 years now to treat my epilepsy and have realized it's caused my depression and dark thoughts. It has worked for my seizure activity though. I recommend talking to a doctor about a different medication if possible to not take this one, it's practically ruined my way of life. If you begin to take it, look out for symptoms of depression. I'm going to try to stop taking this and find a different solution/medication for my epilepsy. Before you take any medication please look at the side effects, I never thought that this medication would do so much harm to my mental health.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 10, 2019

“I hate lamotrigine. My epilepsy has been controlled 100% while taking Dilantin for 38 years. My doctor highly recommended that I change Dilantin to Lamotrigine because Dilantin is a very old drug and has a long term side effect of memory loss. I really did not want to make this change but he managed to convince me. I made the change December 2018 and since then my life has turned upside down. No coordination, memory loss, cannot remember things that happened minutes before, constantly forgetting where I placed things. Worse of it all, I've been on the decline with making good decisions at work, speech, writing typing reading difficulties. I truly felt that I have early signs of Alzheimer of dementia. I could not stand it. I finally insisted to my doctor to go back to dilantin immediately. I am now back on Dilation for 3 days and I am just praying to God I will get back to normal again.”

Alexis Celeste · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 21, 2019

“Of all the 4 medications I’ve tried, lamotrigine is the only one that’s effective for my epilepsy, I have no side effects either. Best of them all.”

Squirrel 37 · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 5, 2019

“I began taking lamotrigine on 23 February 2017 and it stopped my seizures but I had to suffer poor balance and my dizziness which was terrible and did not fully go away. Since late January 2018 I have been having increased myoclonic jerks and several seizures that I have never experienced before. I have been put on lacosomide which I will be fully transitioning to in the next 6 months.”

Lrps9107 · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2019

“It help control my seizures better. Also cleared-up my mind, better memory recall, providing greater functioning while on other seizure medication. I was back to my old self before seizures/head-injury. If not for side effects I'd rate it 8/10 Discontinued use after 2 weeks. Because of an intolerable pain in eyes (50mg 2x/day. Pain started and became too much)”

Fast Mike · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 4, 2018

“I suffer (does anybody enjoy?!) from very infrequent grand mal seizures, and take 300 mg per day. Lamotrigine has been effective in preventing seizures, but the side effects have caused me to consider changing medicines. I went from being a nice guy to periodic bouts of nastiness, can't remember names or even some of the places I've been, frequently can't remember where I put things or parked, and my hair has thinned considerably. I checked to see if hair loss is a common side effect - it is, but I'm told the hair comes back after people stop using Lamotrigine). Looking forward to changing meds.”

Beccaw · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 1, 2018

“Started taking this after getting in an accident due to having a seizure while driving. I started out at 25 mg twice a day. After being on this for a month and a half I had a partial seizure occur. They then upped my dosage to 50 mg twice a day and now 75 mg twice a day. I haven't suffered any rashes from this but feel very sleepy quite often. I've had only one partial seizure since starting this medication two months ago.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 30, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine): “I’m 46 y/o female and started Lamictal after sudden onset of seizures. Unknown cause. I have Crohn’s disease and have had my entire large intestine removed along with most of my small intestines. I’ve noticed my mood has improved, which is a welcome effect! Rather than being a human slug, I’m able to complete some housework and...wait for it.....DO LAUNDRY!!! The only issue I’ve had is cystic acne that got pretty bad when I was taking over 100 mg day. I now take just 100 mg and no more acne or rash. No seizures except a few when coming out of aenesthesia after some procedures or surgery. This has been remedied by getting premeds and IV seizure meds when having surgery. I’m happy again and look forward to the future!!”

Zach Ger · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 15, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine): “I take 500mg a day (have 2 separate prescriptions since it's above the maximum). Taking it for the last 5 years. It's been almost a year since I've had a seizure. At first, while I was increasing the dosage it gave me extremely lucid dreams (like, wake up thinking that it was real kind of thing). After you're on it for a while, it's pretty much just life. Only bad I can think of is how irritable I get when I'm hungry and I feel crummy when my blood sugar is low. It's made me put on some weight which I hate. Can't wait to get off this stuff and have no seizures and lose weight!”

J.WeeBee June 11, 2018

“This drug has literally turned my life around. I started on Dilantin (300mg, 1x daily @ night) and within two days of taking that drug I started experiencing almost every side effect listed. The most troubling were: extreme lethargy, muscle weakness, uncontrollable nausea vomiting and a severe spike in anxiety and depression leading to suicidal ideations. I quickly went into a downward spiral where all of the above listed side effects compounded as it built up in my body. I made an emergency appointment for me Dr. to come make a house call and he immediately told me that I needed to change medication. I was put on Lamotrigine and within two days (it took roughly 48 hours for the dilantin to completely leave my system) I started feeling more energetic, more hopeful and the nausea subsided. I have been on Lamotrigine now for 3 weeks and everyone in my life has said that I'm looking and acting like my normal self again. It has also helped control my anxiety and boosted my overall mood.”

Purple-Rain-Scotland · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine): “I am currently titrating up to help my day and nocturnal seizures. I am at 50mg morning and night. So far it seems to have helped with the nocturnal but increased my seizures during the day. If you are in Scotland and its the weekend you can go to a chemist and they can supply you with a week of medication to tide you over should you run out, so you don't miss any doses. They will sort out the paperwork and inform your GP that they have given you that medication. Take a repeat slip if you have one and try to stick to a regular chemist and obviously try to remember to order.. easier said than done with multiple medications and memory problems. Your chemist can also order them and deliver if needed.”

Learn more about Epilepsy

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)