User Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal XR, Subvenite, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal CD

Lamotrigine has an average rating of 8.1 out of 10 from a total of 814 ratings for the treatment of Bipolar Disorder. 76% of those users who reviewed Lamotrigine reported a positive effect, while 12% reported a negative effect.

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

44% 358
2% 19
8% 63

Reviews for Lamotrigine

Lynny March 4, 2021

Lamictal (lamotrigine): “Since taking lamictal 100 mg daily, I seem to be sharper, can multi-task again and my energy level is very steady. Emotional pain and distractability are much more controlled. I feel like myself again. I HOPE IT LASTS”

SoftBoi · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 2, 2021

Lamictal (lamotrigine): “So so so so grateful for this. Have had severe anxiety, depression, SEVERE OCD and depersonalization, ADHD. Who knows?! Lots of trauma in my past and doctors have tried Wellbutrin, SSRIs, buspar, Remeron. Been on so many things and this thing brought some emotions back, way lessened intrusive thoughts, increased a completely non-existent sex drive, helped me with extreme fatigue. Went off and obsessions and worthlessness came back. Went straight back on and I felt a difference immediately. Been able to stop sleeping until 12-2Pm too. Wake up in the morning at 7am, put on a podcast, and I don’t feel like death. Be self compassionate and have hope. I take it in the morning, 200mg, because it can give me insomnia if I take it at night. I can cry, I can laugh, I don’t feel like I’m drowning. Oh, pretty much no side effects I can note besides insomnia if taken at night.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 2, 2021

“I started Lamotrigine 5 years ago. Found out I am bipolar, I noticed right away that my mood at work went from overly energetic to crabby and slow. Over time started noticing memory issues, Ask my husband when did he buy an item, he told me, you were there when I bought it. I guess I even told him to buy it. I started crying easily, over anything. I couldn't plan things in the future, it felt like my thoughts would hit a wall, my thoughts could not follow through . The front of my brain felt tight and hard, irritated and angry easily, like flipping a switch. Cognitive issues. Concentration, finding words while in conversation, spelling, Spent 2 days at work crying . I couldn't do numbers for our books. Confrontational with my boss. I am now trying to slowly get off this med. Having withdrawal symptoms with every decrease.”

Penneygirl March 1, 2021

“I would just like to reach out to all of those people who have suffered with severe bipolar 2 for most of their life. I am 52 years old was been diagnosed with bipolar II about 7 years ago. The psychiatrist I had at the time didn't officially tell me my diagnosis and continued to give me antidepressants without explaining how bipolar worked. After having taken antidepressants since I was about 20 years old with limited success... the typical manic highs and suicidal lows of severe depression, I hit the lowest low of my life after my dad died very suddenly and unexpectedly of a stroke. I asked my GP for a new psychiatrist referral and she prescribed me lamotrigine. I can sincerely tell you that nothing and I mean nothing in my life has ever helped me in the way that this miracle drug has. I am taking 100 mg a day and I am going to be starting 125 mg until I reach a full therapeutic dose. Life is not perfect and I still get anxiety but I am not suicidal.”

Will2Liv · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 1, 2021

Lamictal (lamotrigine): “I have been on Lamictal for 2 months, I take 100 mg twice a day and it has really changed my life. Over the past 5 years, I have been slowly drowning in a dark hole, so my depression was putting me in a really hard situation. Since I started Lamictal, even at low doses (50 mg a day), I started feeling a really great improvement, with more energy, much less anxiety and stabilized mood. It has been a really lifesaver, since I have take more than 3 antidepressants before with little or no improvement. I feel I am getting connected again with myself. It is the best medicine I have taken since I started with anxiety and recurrent depression 15 years ago. Hope this helps other people that are willing to get a way out of depression, unipolar or bipolar ones.”

Nathan · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 28, 2021

Lamictal (lamotrigine): “MDD with mixed features....on the BP spectrum. This drug is like a balloon that helps pull you out of your depressive episodes. Once you experience the littlest bit of happiness. These states it’s like the lamictal kicks in and floats you out of that hole. Can be energizing for me, esp each time I have titrated up. Overall general bump up. I do seem to get hypermanic and cycle more rapidly. Not that I mind being hyper, as I get so much done! Oh, does nothing for my obsessional thoughts and anxiety!”

bipolar2 · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2021

Lamictal (lamotrigine): “Was on Lamictal for a few days. Was unable to cry or express extreme emotion despite feeling it, constantly had disturbing images pop into my thoughts that I never could have imagined my brain ever producing, and ended up in the ER with a rash on the third morning. This drug was not for me.”

Tiba · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2021

“It's always a pleasure to see when a drug helps so many people as lamotrigine does. Sadly its not for me. It did lift my mood almost instantly but within a few weeks it turned me into a depersonalised zombie . After 4 attempts with different strategies it's time to look on other options.”

Z · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 13, 2021

Lamictal (lamotrigine): “Lamictal saved my life. I take 150 mg 2x a day. By far the best drug I have ever taken for bipolar 1 disorder. I've been on around 10 antidepressants and this was the best one at treating my depression. One side effect though: memory loss, inability to recall basic words, and losing train of thought mid conversation. Been on it for around 8 months and the cognitive issues are still there.”

Spice · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2021

Lamictal (lamotrigine): “I was really afraid to try Lamictal because of potential side effects. I’m not gonna lie, the first couple weeks as I was titrating my dosage up, my anxiety went through the roof. I thought everything might be a side effect, but I stuck it out and when I hit 150mg it was immediately clear that something had changed. In the past I would say my time in a state of normalcy was about 40%? Now it’s about 80% and even though I still drift towards depressive and hypomanic moods, they only last about 2 days and I’m very aware of what’s happening. Since I’m more aware, I’m able to avoid doing anything damaging and able to know that the mood is going to end. I’ve also been in therapy for a while now and the combination of the two has finally allowed me to start having a relatively normal existence!”

LaurenMarie23 · Taken for less than 1 month February 3, 2021

“It is making me feel like a zombie and COMPLETELY exhausted. I slept 16 hours last night and am still tired like I didn't get any sleep. I am on week 3 of the orange starter pack and am also crying a lot more than I used to as well. This medication is not for everyone. I called my psychiatrist and can't wait until she tells me how to wean off this medication and stop it for good.”

yamz · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 2, 2021

Lamictal (lamotrigine): “Lamictal works perfectly for me. The only issue is that it made my hair thin but that was resolved with spironolactone.”

Rae · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 1, 2021

Lamictal (lamotrigine): “This medicine saved my life! My PTSD made my mood unstable & I also have hormonal imbalances due to endometriosis that further worsened my mood. I have so much more stability in my life thanks to this and it made my depression improve so much. It didn't take nearly as long to show an effect as any of my antidepressants (only a few days vs. 1-2 months).”

Carabouchi · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 31, 2021

“For ten years, I've tried most antidepressants out there. So my new doctor changed the approach and put me on mood stabilizers. First was depakote, but it was no good. Then we tried Lamotrigine. At 50mg it made me very anxious and even angry, but weeks after we bumped it to 100mg, my goodness, I felt much better. I feel like a normal person is supposed to feel: sometimes happy, other times sad, some days anxious. But all within a normal manageable range. It changed my life and my relationship with people. It's been five years now. At the beginning there were some side effects such as headaches and anxiety. Now the only thing is that I feel my skin is a little more sensitive to the Sun. If you are starting now please give it a little time”

Star · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 24, 2021

“Lamictal is a wonderful med. I believe it works on bi polar, epilepsy and I think it might work on prior drug users who still have urges. It's very freeing. However, they are are not all made the same. I would carefully check maker. The one generic I used in the past was Northstar which worked fine. Then they switched and it changed. Avoid anything made by Dr Reddy labs. I've taken to things from this company and neither did a thing.”

Don’t Matter · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 20, 2021

Lamictal CD (lamotrigine): “been taking it for two years and overall hasn’t worked. There was a time where I thought it was working, but that was at a time where my stress levels were very very low, and really didn’t have much anxiety in those days when I thought it was helping. I get agitated very very easy it’s difficult to deal with sometimes.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 6, 2021

Lamictal (lamotrigine): “I’ve been on Lamictal for about 5 months. Before getting on Lamictal, I was at my lowest I’ve ever been mentally. I was barely sleeping, had nasty angry outbursts on a near daily basis, and had suicidal thoughts. It took about 2 months to start seeing a difference but I’m so thankful that I’m on this medication. It changed my life, I feel like myself again. I still get those angry outbursts sometimes but they aren’t as bad. I also haven’t had a suicidal thought since getting on it.”

Isa · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 3, 2021

“I have bipolar 1 with PTSD. After trying many antidepressants and other drugs nothing worked always feeling depressed. I’m on 100mg lamotrigine and I feel so much better level headed and not up and down. At first I noticed that I felt very angry but now since going up to 100mg I feel fantastic. I do notice if I forget to take my med I physically feel ill all day. I can’t recommend this enough it’s changed my life and wouldn’t go back to any other drug!”

Woofy06 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2021

“Diagnosed with something in-between Bipolar 2 or MDD. (Still don't know for sure). Went through a lot of SSRI meds and had symptoms similar to a 'Mixed state' for each one I tried. DR finally decided to try lamotrigine which brought down that issue to almost non existent. (Was at 200mg and my guess at 300mg it would of been completely gone) Only issues I had with lamotrigine was randomly breaking out in a few pimples - not a lot but noticeable. For me personally I think it can be an affective medication for bipolar. (And for the ones who experience Hypomania/Mixed states from SSRI meds, and not having a complete bipolar diagnosis) It didn't help my depression but I'm in the land of 'Treatment resistant' so that didn't surprise me much either.”

Kay · Taken for less than 1 month December 29, 2020

Lamictal (lamotrigine): “I've tried almost all meds for depression/bipolar but no success. I started Lamictal 25mg about 4 weeks ago and I'm currently on 50mg per day. It has really lifted my depression. It's the best medication I have ever taken for bipolar. I have more energy, less irritable, less appetite and increased sexual desire. However, it has some side effects (insomnia, nausea, mild constipation and pains on my sides) which are all gradually fading away. I also take 40 mg Prozac per day. Lamictal is a wonder drug. I haven't reached the therapeutic level. I'm titrating slowly. I felt a great need to do this review to help others because other people reviews have helped me in the past. Good Luck and God bless.”

jo · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 29, 2020

Lamictal (lamotrigine): “This drug was a lifesaver for me. Ive been on it for about 3 years, the early side effects were a headache, I take 2 in the morning to get my day going. Beware, if you miss a dose you will be sick and not feel like yourself all day. I'm 23, and paired it with lithium but eventually stopped that. Overall, this has really helped me!”

Dan · Taken for less than 1 month December 20, 2020

Lamictal (lamotrigine): “Lamictal cured my depression. Positive sexual side effects when I was post-sexual. It was a miracle. I had to stop it because of tinnitus(ringing in the ears).”

Raman · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 20, 2020

Lamictal (lamotrigine): “I’ve been on 30+ medications for anxiety and depression. On and off label. (Ketamine, Riluzole, Nemenda, T3, and more. Nothing helped and my relationship was deteriorating. Lamictal (brand name) was introduced and at a low dose all the way to 200mg twice a day. (400mg) total. It’s a life changer. I’ve been able to hold a relationship and get married while enjoying life. The medication started with itchy bumps on feet and elbows. But this goes away. I went extremely slow on titration with Claritin and it resolved. It’s a different mechanism of action. Please bring this medication up with your provider.”

BeeRealz · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 16, 2020

“lamotrigine was the biggest help in managing my bipolar disorder and PTSD. I felt my bipolar disorder get better almost overnight. I highly recommend trying it, but I definitely would eat before taking it because if you do not take it with food it can cause upset stomach.”

Bp2girl · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 12, 2020

Lamictal (lamotrigine): “Lamictal has singularly saved my life. I have BP 2 with rapid cycling with my dominant problem as depression. I would have hypo episodes but fewer than depressive episodes. First week on Lamictal I had a bit of a dull headache but that is it. Within a week the heaviness of depression was lifting. Now 10 years later I have zero headaches from it and zero side effects. Maybe I am a little less empathetic but I love this med. I have zero depression with maybe 1-2 brief episodes of depression per year. It never lasts and when one starts I may cry and feel really down but I feel it kick in and stop the endless spiral. I love this med.”

Learn more about Bipolar Disorder