User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I switched from generic immediate release lamotrigine to lamictal XR about a week ago. In the last week I have had the unfortunate and horrible side effect of diarrhea. The worst I have ever experienced; it would start a few hours after taking my meds (at bedtime...) and last until about noon the following day. It took me about a week to realize it was related to the medication change. When I stopped taking the medication the diarrhea went away. I've seen tons of positive reviews about the XR, but it just wasn't for me. I gave it a 3 because it still stabilized my mood while I was on it."

LJMomma (taken for less than 1 month) September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this medication twice before. I stopped only because I found out I was pregnant.This medication didn't ever make a significant change, but my mood gradually was getting better. I'm now going back to the psych doctor and will probably try and get back on this one again. I do know the manufacturer that my pharmacy uses of the lamotrigine... so chalky and tastes so incredibly disgusting I despised taking it. Maybe if I can find a different kind, all will be wonderful?"

freeziePop (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I felt compelled to compose this review as I have been through 33 years of HELL. Like many of you I was labelled as just depressed or anxious - nothing worked, CBT went over my head, SSRIs were ineffective etc. I went on second line SNRI treatment and all hell broke loose! Cycling within minutes literally wanting to tear my own limbs off from frustration then the next minute obsessing over meaningless rubbish. I had had enough of the NHS and my job was on hold having been off a considerable amount of time. I decided to get a private psychiatrist and it was the best money I ever spent. I fit the bipolar 2 spectrum to a millimetre of its criteria - now I knew that I wasn't insane. Lamictal has saved me from suicide literally!"

33 years of hell! (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This is NOT an advertisement: Lamictal changed my life -for the better. After 7 days, it seemed like a miracle, I slowly began to become focused and feel at peace. Lamictal erased all suicidal thoughts. This is really how I experienced it. It speaks for itself. I never acquired any side effects at all. My short and long term memory is increased. My learning capabilities are in fact better now then ever before. I only wish that I had received the meds years earlier. I made a lot of wrong decisions and choices before it, and still have to live with a lot of the damaging consequences, of which I am still trying to make amends. Without Lamictal, I wouldn't be alive today, and that is the truth"

Sean.M September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal ODT (lamotrigine): "I suffered with mental health issues for many years I refused to take antidepressants until I met with a mental health doctor. I got diagnosed with Bipolar type 2 Since taking this medication my life has changed I can work full time and have had NO suicidal thoughts and hardly get tearful But I have experienced memory loss short term thoughts a bit more forgetful"

PrincessAbbas95 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Stopped my cycling and psychosis, but didn't help my depression at all."

greenfish77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I'm taking Lamictal for bipolar type 2. I have been mentally ill for years and only started getting help recently. I've tried Prozac, Wellbutrin, zoloft within the last year and none worked. I started taking Lamictal about 4 months ago and have been on the dose of 300mg a day for about 2 1/2 months. It has made me feel much more stable, not perfect… But much more stable. My stable mood is depressed, so I still am adding an anti-depressant to my list of medications. I'm 25 years old."

Y5nthon5a (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lamictal is a life-changer and saver. Before finding out I am Bipolar II, I tried 4 different AD's all of them were either ineffective or worsened my depression. Along with BP2, I have extreme social and general anxiety. When I hit 100mg after a month, it just changed overnight. My symptoms almost completely vanished. Now 2.5 months in and 200mg and I'm 95% better. I have had 2 extreme mood swings in almost 3 months which is unbelievably good. My social anxiety is completely gone and my general anxiety is almost to a normal point. Please give this medication a chance. It's made my life so much better and I love it for that."

Walnutt (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "The way lamictal works faster or slow is due to your metabolism. I could go up doses very fast without having the rash but wow I suffered so much while going through this process. It does get worse before it gets better. Once you get to the therapeutic dose then things start to improve. Now; some of us have vivid dreams. Scary sometimes but you get used to them. Also it took me at least 5 months until I got its full benefit. And it may cause you insomnia, need some ambien for that. Ambien stopped working after 5 months. And so when I tried melatonin it worked pretty well. Melatonin didn't work in the first months on this Drug. Only worked after the 5 months and then after few 2 months I didn't need it anymore. I was sleeping well without it."

Prayers works (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi everyone...I want to share my experience on this drug. I was diagnosed bipolar 2 in 2015. At first doctors thought it was depression or/and post traumatic syndrome bc I went bankrupt right before I got sick. The doc tried all anti-depressants you can ever imagine in a matter of 3 weeks. It was a true nightmare. Then they realized that my bad reactions to antidepressants was the main reason to diagnose me as a bipolar 2. Thank God I didn't have any rash otherwise I don't know what would have happened. Understanding how lamictal works is vital. However each person is different. The metabolism is what you have to keep an eye on. I have a very fast metabolism. That helped me go up in this medication very fast from 25mg up to 200mg."

Prayer also make a difference August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I've been living with extreme anxiety, quick temp and agitate easily to the point of isolating myself. At 64, my podcast found my fix and diagnosed me as bipolar. I feel like a new person!"

lydzhd (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I don't know where I'd be without it! I've been on it since 2004 and take name-brand only because generic versions of meds and I don't get along. Anyway I haven't had one negative side effect from it in all these years, and will continue to take it as long as I possibly can. It was within a month of initial use that I saw marked improvement. When I took the generic (Lamotrigine), I experienced the opposite: It did absolutely NOTHING, so I had to get pre-authorization from my Part D provider through Medicare to be able to take name brand but it's been well worth it."

Turtle Lady (taken for 10 years or more) August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I started Lamictal at 25 mg and was instructed to titrate up to 100 mg. As soon as I got to 50mg, I got the rash. I was told to go back down to 25 instead of stopping completely. 2 weeks later I had a stiff neck, sore throat, burning eyes, mouth sores, red purple rash came back worse than before. I was admitted to the hospital and diagnosed with Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. The most painful thing I've ever been through! I am still recovering after being discharged from the hospital a week ago."

ericau August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Lamictal had done wonders for me. It took a while for me to get up to a therapeutic dose, but it's helped with my bipolar depression so much, with no side effects. My only complaint is that you have to build up the doses, starting with 25 mg, and going up from there. I'm currently on 200 mg and still going up!"

bipolarbunny (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have been on so many drugs I lost count and cannot remember all the names. Lamictal has really improved my life. My mood swings have diminished and my depressive episodes have nearly gone away. I have a couple of year now and they don't last nearly as long. I also don't get suicidal anymore. So much gratitude for this medication. I'm on 100 mg right now and when I had my last depressive episode my doctor wanted me to increase my dose but it has a tendency to make me feel out of it and unable to experience any range of emotion really. I just try to make it through the depressive episodes instead."

SpokanPhoenix July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I change to lactimal due to being manic bipolar. This medication changed my life. I am able to feel like myself with stability. I was taking Lithium it made me sick, depressed, drowsy. It calmed my racing thoughts. Not feeling manic all the time. Or depressed like I use to be."

Mother9009 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I had gone through a wide variety of SSRI's before my doctor recommended these. This medication has seriously changed my life and I feel like I have more control about how certain things make me feel. I am Bipolar 2 taking 200mg and I don't ever want to get back to the state I was in before. Having tried around 5 different types of medication I have finally found the one."

LowFlo (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I still have minor anxiety and depression...but wow my life got changed"

Krishelli (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have Bipolar II and lamotrigine saved my life. I have taken 200mg for approximately 5 years. In combination with therapy my mood swings have diminished by >95%. My quality of life has skyrocketed. My life truly is broken into 2 segments - before lamotrigine and after lamotrigine. My memory is certainly a bit worse, but I notice no other side effects. The memory impairment is not substantial enough to warrant stopping the medication."

Redditor (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My experience with this drug is rather odd. I got good relief from 25 mg, felt even better at 50, 75 also good. Then BAM when I increased to 100 mg I began feeling super depressed and very very anxious. Went back down to 75 mg. It's too bad really - because I know It's working - I just can't reach a therapeutic dosage.. Also I've had lots of side effects - most of which has all disappeared: no appetite BUT always hungry (lost 4 kg), itching, a small rash which went away, hypomania right after an increase, uncontrolled eye rolling, numbness in my face, constant throat clearing and constant blinking of my eyes, acid reflux. When I switched from the generic to the brand name Lamictal a lot of these side effects went away."

Sarahhn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I found the time I spent on Lamotrigine to treat my bipolar disorder helpful, positive, and enjoyable."

Ikswezwezrkaz The Commenter (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have only been taking this for a month so far no rash hoping i wont get it when we increase the dosage. I have lost 15 pounds on it in the first month but the side effects I have are trouble sleeping, weight loss, and runny nose. It has lifted my mood and I am able to exercise plus I have so much more focus I have ADHD but don't take anything for it."

kkkkkkkkkkk July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I'm bipolar II and this med works very well. The depression still comes and goes and I do feel kinda crappy somewhat often, but it is definitely not horrible and incapacitating like it was before. Also Lamictal has reduced my hypomania probably by half, and makes it barely noticeable unless I am trying to sleep. A huge plus is that I've had ZERO side effects of any kind (other than temporary ones when increasing doses), which is very rare for antidepressants and anti-mania drugs. Hope this was helpful and hopeful"

msh27 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I started on Lamictal after having manic episodes on Zoloft as well as Wellbutrin. I was a heavy cigarette and marijuana smoker. In the first couple weeks of starting Lamictal, I was able to quit smoking weed and cigarettes!! I didn't have insomnia as I previously did when trying to quit marijuana. My mood was much improve. I had been suicidal before and I started exercising again on Lamictal. I developed an unknown rash about 2 years into Lamictal and stopped immediately. The rash disappeared. It looked like 8 mosquito bites all over my legs. I was forced to try Abilify which made me gain over 40 pounds and take naps during the day. Today, I have started back on Lamictal and am back on track with exercising and enjoying life."

Kira123456789 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have bipolar 2, BPD, anxiety, and PTSD from past trauma. I have taken many drugs over the years, including SSRI's and lithium carbonate. No medication has help with my anxiety, depression, and mood swings anywhere near as effectively as Lamictal. Within 2 weeks I felt like "myself" again. I felt like a weight had been lifted. My appetite and sleep patterns also became more normalised. I am on 100mg twice a day. And have been for about 6 months. I was ready to give up on medications, then I was but on Lamictal. It was like night and day. It's hard to describe, honestly. But I feel much for content and happier in general. The only side effect I can remember is when I missed a dose, I got very aggravated and moody. Much love!"

Ellis d (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2017