User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"Lamotrigine is, hands down, the best bipolar medication I have used! It is highly effective for depressive episodes and has no side effects, for me. It also does not cause weight gain! I am rating 10 out of 10 for bipolar depression. I have combined it with an antipsychotic for mania; a highly effective combination for me. If you are struggling with bipolar depression, I highly recommend you speak with your doctor about giving lamotrigine a try. The risk of rash is low if you follow your doctor's instructions."

FrankieCasual April 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"27 years old and diagonised with Bipolar 2 today...yes, I'm scared. After many trial and errors in several medications including Lexapro, Zoloft, Seroquel, Ambien, Xanax, just to name a few...,I've just about given up hope. I'm nervous and excited to try Lamictal and I look forward to sharing another success story. I am wondering how long it takes for you to feel the positive effects"

Kaykay23 April 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I've recently started taking lamictal (50 mg) about three days ago for bipolar disorder along with lithium (600 mg) which was originally 900 mg but I found it to be too sedating so my doc lowered it back to 600 and I can honestly say I feel a major difference I feel like my mood is stabilizing and I'm starting to feel happy again and simply normal not too high with unorganized thinking and behavior or a rushed mind with all kinds of racing thoughts or mixed and depressive episodes when I've just felt as if I was in a roller coaster ride with my mood going up and down, and the depressive phase when I didn't care about anything and didn't even want to move and felt hopeless to anyone suffering don't give up and give lamictal a try"

Didi121 (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Lamictal has changed my life. I'm a diagnosed bipolar 1 and have had friends and family notice massive changes in my personality. I never knew life could be so happy and easy."

Kris.helli April 10, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had severe depressive bipolar since early childhood...honestly for as long as I can remember. I get hypomanic, but the "lows" are 10x worse than the highs. I was diagnosed with depression as a child and Zoloft helped me greatly. I was recently correctly diagnosed with Bipolar II. My new doctor prescribed me lamictal and it changed my life in days. I have been taking it for 3 years. I understand that no medication is the perfect fit for everyone but for me it truly truly was. I feel like a real person for once!!!!"

MJSVaTech April 8, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): " I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 recently at 34 years old. I'm also diagnosed with severe depression, generalized anxiety disorder, and PTSD. After being on what seems every antidepressant in the world, finally, a combination of Lamictal, Wellbutrin, and Xanax has been a life saver.I was prescribed the Lamictal a couple months ago. I noticed that after a couple weeks the Lamictal started to wear off a little and the depression started to appear again. I was started on 25 mg and then upped to 50 mg. A few days ago I noticed the depression again. I'm going to ask my Dr. to up my dose again. Sorry for the long response lol. I just wanted to let anyone else know that I'm going through a similar experience."

sudsybathwater (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi i have been dignosed with bi polar in 2006. I have been on a lot of meds. I was on depokote for over 10 years worked amazing. But then I started to have liver issues where my enzymes would jump to high levels. not good. Then they put me on abilify omg that medicine did not work at all I wound up having a manic episode and it sucked. Now I'm on lamotrogien and wow this medicine is working and it saved my life and I have had no side effects. I am so happy "

bariemt (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I was diagnosed bipolar a year ago and started at 100 then 150 and now 200mg at night in conjunction with Cymbalta 30 mg. I have had no side effects and I really think this drug has saved my life."

LaLathecat69 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 20, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Lamictal saved my life. I have struggled my whole life with rapid cycling bipolar 2, with more frequent and longer lasting depressive episodes than manic. I was just recently diagnosed and never knew what was wrong with me- I've been dealing with this since as early I can remember , around age 10. I started seeing a counsellor and psychiatrist and this is the conclusion they came to. When I started going I was so close to ending my life, it was terrifying . I just thought it was normal. Then my psychiatrist started me on Lamictal and we worked up to 200 mg and I have never been this happy in my ENTIRE LIFE . I've been overweight forever and I'm now losing a lot of weight healthily, I'm so happy and confident and I'm finally making changes."

Girlchanged March 19, 2017

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I was put on lamictal about 9 Years ago.. Tried everything else nothing worked.. I have bipolar..severe panic attacks and agoraphobia.. I was in horrible condition... Started at lowest dose and stayed at 300mg ...fine until about 8 months ago and got scerlitis of eye.. Went to eye doctor treated with steroids... But it just coming back... Finally realized it must be my medication.. Quit lamictal and it was gone.. When I saw my doctor I told her and she said yes that is a side affect and I could never take again.. OMG.. Best med ever for bipolar.. Some anxiety break thrus..but 1st time I ever really felt normal.. After this got another Dr put me on Paxil.. OMG.. What a nightmare.. I bottomed out.. Ground zero... Now on nothing for 3 weeks.."

Pink53! (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 18, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This was the first drug that did this but I had to make sure I took at least 100mg cause 25 just caused some poor sleep. 100 was great until I developed cognitive decline due to Lamotrigine as many even "just" epileptic users have noticed and experience. A thing to look out for. Takes away lows totally. But memory impairment especially verbal memory."

Martin 0983lvr March 15, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm Bi polar. Super manic. Major highs n lows for as long as I can remember...I'm 36yrs. I've tried everything under the sun. I SWEAR BY THIS MEDICATION. I have severe side effects to all meds so I always start out with the lowest dosage to handle them. I'm on 25mg and boy my life has change 360. It saved my marriage!!! Like who is this person! This is the best of me that I never got to experience... I wasted a good chunk of my life being miserable. I have patience now. Lol, I'm not MEAN...I calm down a lot faster than before when I do get mad. My house is clean, I cook, everything feels like its in it's place. I hear the birds chirping and just generally HAPPY. This medication is my life saver. Omg....I prayed so long for some help. Thank GOD"

JessIsAMess (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Diagnosed with Bipolar twenty two years ago. Treated initially with lithium and Carbamazepine. I stopped taking everything and existed for years. Extremely bad depression last fall which left me a total shell without memory, emotion, feeling. I am now starting on lamictal as it is time for me to live again rather than exist. Thank you all for your feedback. I am actually looking forward to starting this drug and will keep you updated x"

Anabanana217 March 9, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I am bipolar 2 and take 300mg per day. Has changed my life so much. Helped me kick my alcohol addiction and impulsiveness. The last two years have been great. No drug is perfect however, and the withdrawals can be bad. Make sure you take it every day. So I gave it an 8 because I feel great if I keep up with it. I take it right after I wake up because it helps wake me up and gives me energy. Also makes me very patient with myself, other people and just life in general throughout the day. At my current dosage I wouldn't hesitate to call it a smart drug for me because it lessons my impulsive tendencies and quickness to anger. If this doesn't work for you, don't fret, I study medicine, and there is usually always something available to help."

Pugsta March 8, 2017

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I haven't found the perfect medication, but this is among the best so far. What is nice is that is also indicated for pain and helps my severe pain condition by reducing neuropathic pain."

CB114 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 7, 2017

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I've been taking 200 mg. Lamictil for the last 2.5 months in combo with 60 mg. Cymbalta. I feel much less manic than before Lamictil but feel Cymbalta is too activating & makes me manic. Seeing my shrink soon to sort it out."

Ntended (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "For me the side effects greatly outweighed the benefits since I didn't feel any benefits. This medicine might be effective for the treatment of something. However bi-polar/depression not so much. Not a whole lot of fun when you stop taking it either."

Huro1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I've used Lamictal for several years and I feel that it is a very effective drug with little to no side effects. Moods are quite stable; although I still do get some depression. Overall, I've been extremely stable for the past 3 years taking it with a combination of Lexapro for depression."

Velveteen Rabbit March 1, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Horrible, horrible, horrible. My neurologist of 10 years retired. He mentioned and prescribed ambien for my chronic insomnia. Also did regular labs and sleep studies. He referred to another local neurologist who specialized in sleep. Without having my previous medical records and a brief 5 minute office visit, the doc, writes me a 3 month refill on ambien. Ok, then he told me I was bipolar manic and gives me script for lamotrigine. 25mg to taken twice a day. I was a bit confused as to how he came to take diagnose after 5 minutes with me. I've never been told or treated for manic bipolar. He said it helped with my sleep. I took 2 doses as prescribed. I blacked out and work up agitated, confused, crying with thoughts of suicide. I flushed the rest."

cityoflights (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This medication completely turned my life around. For 2 years I've been going through countless of antidepressant cocktails without much luck (one of them was Effexor and Mirtazapine which apparently is one of the most effective combos) It was until a few months ago when I demanded being evaluated for bipolar disorder, and after a few tests they put me on Lamictal (in combination with Wellbutrin, Prozac and Mirtazapine) the first titration weeks was hell, my mood was all over the place. But early February everything did a 180 and now I'm finally able to live a normal adult life"

Bipolar2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I was on 400 mgs for six years. In that time it messed with my testosterone. My doctor never said anything about it. Still suffered from manic depression, depression anxiety."

Dean Winchester February 23, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I wanted to add to my review. Besides developing a very bad rash & chest pains, sometimes Lamictal would give me heartburn & indigestion too. It would last for hours & I would be very nauseated. I never had heartburn or indigestion before, so I know it was the medicine that caused it. I'm so glad I don't take it anymore."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I've had a few unpleasant side effects. I feel truly blessed with this medication. I had bipolar 2 and other more common medications were not an option for my mood disorder. It keeps me so much more stable. I took a lot of drugs before and was suicidal. I was able to get off drugs and stopped my suicidal urges. I had grown unfaithful with psychiatry. I was sure that this medicine would not work like every other thing but it helped me so much. There are so many positive effects. Prevents suicidal urges, lessen depression, relaxes my body, helped me take lower doses of Xanax, helps anxiety, helps sleep, Happy sometimes Cons - It effects my memory bad and I've lost a lot of hair. I'm a girl and my hair is really thinning out. :/"

Jennycccxzx (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 18, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Lamictal is a great medication. The titration takes quite a while, but it's worth it -- honestly. It isn't too effective at controlling the hypo or full blown mania -- as something like Geodon -- but it's a crown jewel for depression, especially treatment resistant depression. In terms of side effects there are few to none for most people. What I got was some mild dizziness and photosensitivity/blurred vision (a little irritating but nothing serious). In combo with Zoloft this was the "power cocktail" I was on for years."

Psychtraveler (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 16, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I started at 25 mg of Lamictal. After 2 weeks my doctor increased it to 50 mg. 2 weeks after increasing my med I noticed a minor skin rash on my chest one night. I overlooked it & continued taking the Lamictal. When my doctor increased it to 100 mg that is when I started having a bad reaction. That night I broke out in a bad rash on my chest, stomach & left arm (not my right arm). I also started having bad chest pains. I called my doctors office the next day & the nurse told me to stop taking the Lamictal & go to the hospital. I'm stubborn, so I refused to go. My chest pains had gone away & the rash was clearing up, so I wasn't as worried about it as I was the night before. I decided to go to the EmergiCare instead & I turned out to be OK"

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2017