User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This drug gave me brain damage and I almost failed out of college. I was a ballerina, but after this medication I couldn't keep balance anymore and couldn't dance. This drug actually ruined my life and it has taking several years for me to recover from the damage it caused me mentally and physically."

Anonymous May 24, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've suffered from extreme depression and suicidal thoughts my entire life and would much less frequently have weeks or months of manic euphoria. After hitting a major low recently and actually planning to take my life I decided to get help and was prescribed Lamotrigine. Even at very first 25mg introductory dose I immediately felt that it was exactly what my brain needed. I actually cried, the way you might expect someone to if they had their vision or mobility restored. My thought was "where has this been my entire life?" I was ramped up for 5 weeks and have been on a full 200mg dose for the last few weeks. Though still feeling some mild depression, I haven't had a single suicidal thought ever since beginning treatment. No side effects!"

Urban Achiever May 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I don't think this works."

Nickolle May 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I haven't been diagnosed with bipolar, but my psychiatrist put me on this over a year ago for a mood disorder. She built me up to 200 mgs and about a year ago moved me to 150 mgs in the morning and another 150 mgs at night. It's not a miracle pill and I still feel down sometimes and happy at others, but overall I don't get super down like I used to. In conjunction with the other psychiatric medicine I am on, it helps to keep me stable and helps me deal with a very serious disease that I came down with about 3 years ago that has completely turned my world upside down."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "So, I feel like this did help stabilize me a little bit (with depressive states), but I ended up getting acne and redness all over my face. I also had my eyes feel all weird and twitchy. Overall, It was not super effective for me because I still had horrible anxiety and panic attacks and I could not titrate high enough to get effective coverage from the medication without weird side effects. I was only on 75mg maximum, mind you."

kcgirl08 May 19, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I've been on Lamictal for around 4-5 months. After my bipolar depression returned and wasn't being kept under control by my Seroquel and Prozac I did some research and saw Lamictal had decent reviews. My doctor started me on the medication and within a week I began to feel more energized, and happier. That was at 100 mg. I now believe the depression is coming back and I have been upped to 200 mg, along with 40mg of Prozac. The drug has done great things for me so far."

williamsbriana (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Lamictal handles most of my symptoms, but I continue to deal with money issues and relationships."

Tom1948 May 8, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This drug has been a lifesaver so far. Especially considering the other "less-than-ideal" medication options for bipolar disorder."

Ellendahl May 8, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The first year or so lamictal worked well for me. It took the edge off my hypomanic episodes and somewhat reduced the severity of my depressive episodes; however, the past year or so I have been experiencing lack of emotion, specifically noticed in my romantic relationships. I constantly feel as though the euphoric feeling had been halted and replaced with a content feeling. Coming from a hopeless romantic this is not the way I know I should be feeling. I'm wondering if others are experiencing the same? Also memory loss, cheek redness, lack of coordination, and dizziness have increased since taking lamictal"

Rocco241993 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 7, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Came out of the hospital after my first (and only) psychotic break and didn't really know what to do with myself. I was given the diagnosis of Bipolar I and was in need of a mood stabilizer. Because I usually run low, I was looking for a medication to combat my depressive symptoms and I can hardly begin to explain what a world of difference this medication has made. My mental state has been much better since reaching the therapeutic dose of 200mg. It took about 6 months to reach that dosage, and trust me when I say that I questioned its effictiveness during the whole time. But it's become clear to me this past year that Lamictal has enhanced my life. I was highly skeptical. This drug has made a drastic difference in my quality of life"

Ty Guy May 5, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug has been my savior. I started it first in 2015 but went off it because my dose was too high. I had an overblown fear of getting Lamictal rash or forgetting to take it consistently which can result in the need to restart the dosing up process. Six months ago I saw different psychiatrist who calmed me about the rare side effects and explained that If I missed a day that I didn't have to dose up again. I'm currently on 150mg. I still experience some bipolar II symptoms but they are completely manageable. A higher dose stopped my symptoms completely. I feel in control for the first time in my life after 20 years of suffering. For those like me who were misdiagnosed and had traumatic experiences with anti-depressants, don't be afraid"

JBbbb (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 3, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm a 23 year old female with bipolar II (I haven't had issues with hypomania since I was about 16 so my main issues are depression, anger, and anxiety). In the past I've been on lithium, seroquel, and abilify all of which were a nightmare for me with terrible side effects. I was so sick of the side effects that I stopped taking my medication cold turkey & was medication free for a couple years (I experienced a lot of bad depression during that time). I finally went back to my doctor about 3 years ago when the depression felt too unmanageable and got prescribed lamictal. It did wonders for me. I still struggle but the lamtical (100mg twice daily) makes it manageable combined with therapy and strict lifestyle changes. I experience NO side effects"

Keen93 May 1, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"OMG!!! This is working I can't believe this after all years of suffering I swear I'm crying right now not from depression but HAPPINESS, thank you lamictal I don't mind the loss of libido from risperdal that I'm still taking now the most important thing is that I'm normal and happy!! for all people suffering from bipolar 1 or 2 or other types there's a hope you deserve the best in this life."

ismpes (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "It really does work amazingly! I am bipolar II. was originally diagnosed as having major depressive disorder, but my depression did fluctuate in intensity quite a bit, so my psychiatrist thought Lamictal could work and that I could bipolar. So I started Lamictal (ironically right before I started the Lamictal I started having hypomania and was then properly diagnosed as bipolar II) For weeks it really did not help much - and then I reached the full dose of 200mg. I've been on this dose for a month and have felt completely normal or virtually normal most of the time! The medication isn't perfect though, as the depression ocassionally comes on rather hard, but even when it does it is temporary and NOWHERE near as bad as it was before."

mmay27 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Lamotrigine is, hands down, the best bipolar medication I have used! It is highly effective for depressive episodes and has no side effects, for me. It also does not cause weight gain! I am rating 10 out of 10 for bipolar depression. I have combined it with an antipsychotic for mania; a highly effective combination for me. If you are struggling with bipolar depression, I highly recommend you speak with your doctor about giving lamotrigine a try. The risk of rash is low if you follow your doctor's instructions."

FrankieCasual April 19, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"27 years old and diagonised with Bipolar 2 today...yes, I'm scared. After many trial and errors in several medications including Lexapro, Zoloft, Seroquel, Ambien, Xanax, just to name a few...,I've just about given up hope. I'm nervous and excited to try Lamictal and I look forward to sharing another success story. I am wondering how long it takes for you to feel the positive effects"

Kaykay23 April 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I've recently started taking lamictal (50 mg) about three days ago for bipolar disorder along with lithium (600 mg) which was originally 900 mg but I found it to be too sedating so my doc lowered it back to 600 and I can honestly say I feel a major difference I feel like my mood is stabilizing and I'm starting to feel happy again and simply normal not too high with unorganized thinking and behavior or a rushed mind with all kinds of racing thoughts or mixed and depressive episodes when I've just felt as if I was in a roller coaster ride with my mood going up and down, and the depressive phase when I didn't care about anything and didn't even want to move and felt hopeless to anyone suffering don't give up and give lamictal a try"

Didi121 (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Lamictal has changed my life. I'm a diagnosed bipolar 1 and have had friends and family notice massive changes in my personality. I never knew life could be so happy and easy."

Kris.helli April 10, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had severe depressive bipolar since early childhood...honestly for as long as I can remember. I get hypomanic, but the "lows" are 10x worse than the highs. I was diagnosed with depression as a child and Zoloft helped me greatly. I was recently correctly diagnosed with Bipolar II. My new doctor prescribed me lamictal and it changed my life in days. I have been taking it for 3 years. I understand that no medication is the perfect fit for everyone but for me it truly truly was. I feel like a real person for once!!!!"

MJSVaTech April 8, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): " I was diagnosed with bipolar 2 recently at 34 years old. I'm also diagnosed with severe depression, generalized anxiety disorder, and PTSD. After being on what seems every antidepressant in the world, finally, a combination of Lamictal, Wellbutrin, and Xanax has been a life saver.I was prescribed the Lamictal a couple months ago. I noticed that after a couple weeks the Lamictal started to wear off a little and the depression started to appear again. I was started on 25 mg and then upped to 50 mg. A few days ago I noticed the depression again. I'm going to ask my Dr. to up my dose again. Sorry for the long response lol. I just wanted to let anyone else know that I'm going through a similar experience."

sudsybathwater (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi i have been dignosed with bi polar in 2006. I have been on a lot of meds. I was on depokote for over 10 years worked amazing. But then I started to have liver issues where my enzymes would jump to high levels. not good. Then they put me on abilify omg that medicine did not work at all I wound up having a manic episode and it sucked. Now I'm on lamotrogien and wow this medicine is working and it saved my life and I have had no side effects. I am so happy "

bariemt (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I was diagnosed bipolar a year ago and started at 100 then 150 and now 200mg at night in conjunction with Cymbalta 30 mg. I have had no side effects and I really think this drug has saved my life."

LaLathecat69 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 20, 2017

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Lamictal saved my life. I have struggled my whole life with rapid cycling bipolar 2, with more frequent and longer lasting depressive episodes than manic. I was just recently diagnosed and never knew what was wrong with me- I've been dealing with this since as early I can remember , around age 10. I started seeing a counsellor and psychiatrist and this is the conclusion they came to. When I started going I was so close to ending my life, it was terrifying . I just thought it was normal. Then my psychiatrist started me on Lamictal and we worked up to 200 mg and I have never been this happy in my ENTIRE LIFE . I've been overweight forever and I'm now losing a lot of weight healthily, I'm so happy and confident and I'm finally making changes."

Girlchanged March 19, 2017

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I was put on lamictal about 9 Years ago.. Tried everything else nothing worked.. I have bipolar..severe panic attacks and agoraphobia.. I was in horrible condition... Started at lowest dose and stayed at 300mg ...fine until about 8 months ago and got scerlitis of eye.. Went to eye doctor treated with steroids... But it just coming back... Finally realized it must be my medication.. Quit lamictal and it was gone.. When I saw my doctor I told her and she said yes that is a side affect and I could never take again.. OMG.. Best med ever for bipolar.. Some anxiety break thrus..but 1st time I ever really felt normal.. After this got another Dr put me on Paxil.. OMG.. What a nightmare.. I bottomed out.. Ground zero... Now on nothing for 3 weeks.."

Pink53! (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 18, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This was the first drug that did this but I had to make sure I took at least 100mg cause 25 just caused some poor sleep. 100 was great until I developed cognitive decline due to Lamotrigine as many even "just" epileptic users have noticed and experience. A thing to look out for. Takes away lows totally. But memory impairment especially verbal memory."

Martin 0983lvr March 15, 2017