User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I still have minor anxiety and depression...but wow my life got changed"

Krishelli (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My experience with this drug is rather odd. I got good relief from 25 mg, felt even better at 50, 75 also good. Then BAM when I increased to 100 mg I began feeling super depressed and very very anxious. Went back down to 75 mg. It's too bad really - because I know It's working - I just can't reach a therapeutic dosage.. Also I've had lots of side effects - most of which has all disappeared: no appetite BUT always hungry (lost 4 kg), itching, a small rash which went away, hypomania right after an increase, uncontrolled eye rolling, numbness in my face, constant throat clearing and constant blinking of my eyes, acid reflux. When I switched from the generic to the brand name Lamictal a lot of these side effects went away."

Sarahhn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I found the time I spent on Lamotrigine to treat my bipolar disorder helpful, positive, and enjoyable."

Ikswezwezrkaz The Commenter (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have only been taking this for a month so far no rash hoping i wont get it when we increase the dosage. I have lost 15 pounds on it in the first month but the side effects I have are trouble sleeping, weight loss, and runny nose. It has lifted my mood and I am able to exercise plus I have so much more focus I have ADHD but don't take anything for it."

kkkkkkkkkkk July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I'm bipolar II and this med works very well. The depression still comes and goes and I do feel kinda crappy somewhat often, but it is definitely not horrible and incapacitating like it was before. Also Lamictal has reduced my hypomania probably by half, and makes it barely noticeable unless I am trying to sleep. A huge plus is that I've had ZERO side effects of any kind (other than temporary ones when increasing doses), which is very rare for antidepressants and anti-mania drugs. Hope this was helpful and hopeful"

msh27 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I started on Lamictal after having manic episodes on Zoloft as well as Wellbutrin. I was a heavy cigarette and marijuana smoker. In the first couple weeks of starting Lamictal, I was able to quit smoking weed and cigarettes!! I didn't have insomnia as I previously did when trying to quit marijuana. My mood was much improve. I had been suicidal before and I started exercising again on Lamictal. I developed an unknown rash about 2 years into Lamictal and stopped immediately. The rash disappeared. It looked like 8 mosquito bites all over my legs. I was forced to try Abilify which made me gain over 40 pounds and take naps during the day. Today, I have started back on Lamictal and am back on track with exercising and enjoying life."

Kira123456789 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have bipolar 2, BPD, anxiety, and PTSD from past trauma. I have taken many drugs over the years, including SSRI's and lithium carbonate. No medication has help with my anxiety, depression, and mood swings anywhere near as effectively as Lamictal. Within 2 weeks I felt like "myself" again. I felt like a weight had been lifted. My appetite and sleep patterns also became more normalised. I am on 100mg twice a day. And have been for about 6 months. I was ready to give up on medications, then I was but on Lamictal. It was like night and day. It's hard to describe, honestly. But I feel much for content and happier in general. The only side effect I can remember is when I missed a dose, I got very aggravated and moody. Much love!"

Ellis d (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I've been on this medication for 1 year or even 2 years with 300 mg. I still have extreme mood swings and it doesn't help at all, I want lithium or other bipolar medicine - this doesn't work at all for me. I'm really scared to gain weight while on some other medication because I already gained 20 kg from an antipsychotic medicine before but I can live with this. My bipolar illness gets worse and worse I still have a good medicine "base" tho. It's not as extreme as a couple of years ago but I'm only 19 years old so I'm looking forward trying something else."

Linnnn June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I just started lamictal, after tapering off of topamax. Topamax did nothing for me. I have disorder 2 in which I am more manic. I've been on it 3 weeks and so far I have been episode free, which is good for me considering I am a rapid cycler. I've done a lot of research on lamictal and it appears to meet my needs the most. And it's weight neutral. (Topamax never made me lose wight either). Also it doesn't halt your emotions like say lithium, where you are neither nor sad you're just emotionless. I hate that. Lamictal was a great choice for me so far so good!"

Fsndjxn3849 June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "In 3 days of use I had itchy scalp within 2 weeks I had to be taken off due to itchy rash on neck and face as it was getting worse. It has been 2 weeks on new medication and I am still having the breakout."

Melissa W12 June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Lamictal has been a game changer for me. I have been through the complete bipolar medication gauntlet. I now take 300 mg a day along with 200mg wellbutin, 20 mg of Adderall and hydroxyzine to sleep. I was able to stop taking Xanax because of this awesome drug!! I have had this same regimen for a year and a half. Before this I was about to give up all hope on medicines. Please keep in mind no medicine will never fix your Bipolar Disorder. As far as side effects I have had significant hair loss. I think that started with other medicines though. I have also had EXTREMELY intense dreams. That's something I'm still getting use to."

Rigs June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have bipolar 1 disoder. I am on abilify (currently getting off) and Lamictal. Lamictal has helped me level a lot alot. Been a good medicine for me only side effect I noticed is I started yawning alot after taking it."

Beazey June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "After many trials and error, I found that 200mg at bedtime is the best for me. I ran out of refills about 4 months ago and had to go without for another month before I could see a Dr. I know that's not safe but I had no choice. My family as well as myself could notice the difference in my mood swings within a week!"

LaurenB921 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Lamictal has been a life saver. Started when I was 18, after 4 years of unsuccessful treatment plus 2-3 years of emotional instability not treated. Started lamictal and I finally felt like "the person I was always supposed to grow up to be". I do get the "morning woozies" when I increase the dose for worsening symptoms, but I have been more or less in remission. Very minimal side effects, and generally effective as stand alone maintenance drug."

Myself again (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This drug gave me brain damage and I almost failed out of college. I was a ballerina, but after this medication I couldn't keep balance anymore and couldn't dance. This drug actually ruined my life and it has taking several years for me to recover from the damage it caused me mentally and physically."

Anonymous May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've suffered from extreme depression and suicidal thoughts my entire life and would much less frequently have weeks or months of manic euphoria. After hitting a major low recently and actually planning to take my life I decided to get help and was prescribed Lamotrigine. Even at very first 25mg introductory dose I immediately felt that it was exactly what my brain needed. I actually cried, the way you might expect someone to if they had their vision or mobility restored. My thought was "where has this been my entire life?" I was ramped up for 5 weeks and have been on a full 200mg dose for the last few weeks. Though still feeling some mild depression, I haven't had a single suicidal thought ever since beginning treatment. No side effects!"

Urban Achiever May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I don't think this works."

Nickolle May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I haven't been diagnosed with bipolar, but my psychiatrist put me on this over a year ago for a mood disorder. She built me up to 200 mgs and about a year ago moved me to 150 mgs in the morning and another 150 mgs at night. It's not a miracle pill and I still feel down sometimes and happy at others, but overall I don't get super down like I used to. In conjunction with the other psychiatric medicine I am on, it helps to keep me stable and helps me deal with a very serious disease that I came down with about 3 years ago that has completely turned my world upside down."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "So, I feel like this did help stabilize me a little bit (with depressive states), but I ended up getting acne and redness all over my face. I also had my eyes feel all weird and twitchy. Overall, It was not super effective for me because I still had horrible anxiety and panic attacks and I could not titrate high enough to get effective coverage from the medication without weird side effects. I was only on 75mg maximum, mind you."

kcgirl08 May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I've been on Lamictal for around 4-5 months. After my bipolar depression returned and wasn't being kept under control by my Seroquel and Prozac I did some research and saw Lamictal had decent reviews. My doctor started me on the medication and within a week I began to feel more energized, and happier. That was at 100 mg. I now believe the depression is coming back and I have been upped to 200 mg, along with 40mg of Prozac. The drug has done great things for me so far."

williamsbriana (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Lamictal handles most of my symptoms, but I continue to deal with money issues and relationships."

Tom1948 May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This drug has been a lifesaver so far. Especially considering the other "less-than-ideal" medication options for bipolar disorder."

Ellendahl May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The first year or so lamictal worked well for me. It took the edge off my hypomanic episodes and somewhat reduced the severity of my depressive episodes; however, the past year or so I have been experiencing lack of emotion, specifically noticed in my romantic relationships. I constantly feel as though the euphoric feeling had been halted and replaced with a content feeling. Coming from a hopeless romantic this is not the way I know I should be feeling. I'm wondering if others are experiencing the same? Also memory loss, cheek redness, lack of coordination, and dizziness have increased since taking lamictal"

Rocco241993 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Came out of the hospital after my first (and only) psychotic break and didn't really know what to do with myself. I was given the diagnosis of Bipolar I and was in need of a mood stabilizer. Because I usually run low, I was looking for a medication to combat my depressive symptoms and I can hardly begin to explain what a world of difference this medication has made. My mental state has been much better since reaching the therapeutic dose of 200mg. It took about 6 months to reach that dosage, and trust me when I say that I questioned its effictiveness during the whole time. But it's become clear to me this past year that Lamictal has enhanced my life. I was highly skeptical. This drug has made a drastic difference in my quality of life"

Ty Guy May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug has been my savior. I started it first in 2015 but went off it because my dose was too high. I had an overblown fear of getting Lamictal rash or forgetting to take it consistently which can result in the need to restart the dosing up process. Six months ago I saw different psychiatrist who calmed me about the rare side effects and explained that If I missed a day that I didn't have to dose up again. I'm currently on 150mg. I still experience some bipolar II symptoms but they are completely manageable. A higher dose stopped my symptoms completely. I feel in control for the first time in my life after 20 years of suffering. For those like me who were misdiagnosed and had traumatic experiences with anti-depressants, don't be afraid"

JBbbb (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 3, 2017