User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"Bad side effects."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 19, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Caused a rash, so discontinued use."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

"This stuff made me more aggressive, i actually now have a crime record because of this, before this medicine my life was manageable, now it's just a mess, and the doctors won't give me anything else as they think this isn't the problem, but funny how when i started taking this, i started getting more angry and i also have a tick, which may be a form of tourettes."

Anonymous August 18, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This was the first mood stabilizer I was put on when I was diagnosed BP2 and I've been on it ever since, which was about 9 years ago. I love this med- I've had NO side effects. I'm on 500mg which is a very high dose but I'm also very treatment resistant. The only negative thing about this med is that I can't go on birth control. I have horrible mood swings and pain around 'that time' and birth control would help, but besides it lessening the effect of the birth control it also lessens the effectiveness of lamictal. There may be some birth control pill out there I can take, but my pdoc, and gyno haven't found it. :( Besides that this med is amazing & I'll never go off of it"

starlight77 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 16, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Did everything right: titrated up gradually as per manufacturer's instructions. Only side effect was a slight front forehead ache in the mornings. Then.... WHAM! About 6 weeks into taking lamotrigine woke up with migraine killer headache & aching joints like getting the 'flu. Then next morning had rash all over body which became raised bumps. Then bloodshot eyes. I was in bed the best part of 2 weeks. Instantly, I stopped the lamotrigine. Even though my psychiatrist just told me to reduce the dose! Duh! If not for the SJS reaction, I would definitely still be on this drug."

BrizVegasGal August 15, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This medicine gave me way too much energy. The other night I went on a run at midnight, because I had to burn off the energy. I would say it definitely made me extremely manic. I also stopped getting my period on it, and my breasts grew larger as well. Strange.."

Creamsoda August 7, 2016

"The best medication for bipolar I have ever had. For a while seroquel worked for me somewhat; although it blunted my mood to the point I could hardly recognise myself it stopped the most awful suicidal symptoms. The side effects were harsh though - excessive somnolence and drastic weight gain (I went up to seventeen stone.) Eventually, the side effects outweighed the benefits, and I stopped taking it, with catastrophic consequences. I bounced around between medications for a while, before my doctor tried lamotrigine; it made a difference. Since being on lamotrigine I have lost weight, started exercising, completed an access course, and am now working as a nursing assistant. I have been asymptomatic for 2 years, and have my life back."

Random nickname August 5, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Very effective but the side effect are bad if I don't take it correctly. I think there are ways you can reduce the effects( getting correct dosage of course) Before you consider going up a dose its worth considering. When you take them? I began taking mine at night, but have since taking through the day avoids headache, vision blurred, tremours. I take more last dose, breakfast, lunch & dinner. Do you take them food?I take them with food, I defiantly feel side effect, every time if I don't eat properly and skiip a meal Are you on any hormone treatment hrt/pill? I have found that there is a, as I call it, lower absorption rate as I'm on hrt and my consultant phy agrees, so I am taking a high does.What dosage? Even 25mg makes a difference."

Bee23 July 30, 2016

"Sadly, this drug did not work for me. I was on the side affects end of the spectrum near it killing me. After a few days I developed a slightly raised rash on my thigh and it turned into a bruise (caused internal bleeding like a bruise). I stopped taking it as soon as I was sure it wasn't just rosy skin. It seemed to come and go the second and third day. Well the damaged tissue and bruise took a long time to go away. It was scary. I'm now labeled as having an allergy to it. It was an extremely strong reaction my doctor said."

Slynnnss (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2016

"Hey so i just started taking Lamotrigine 100g very recently, literally a week. I have been fine all week and I was becoming very positive. I did not want it to change my personality as i am generally quite a hyper person, in the sense that, I was apprehensive about becoming mellow perhaps. It did not make me mellow at all and I was very happy about that. I have been happy and stable the entire week however today I am having a very down day. Is that normal? why am I having a down day? I literally cannot break myself out of this hole that randomly came today."

Suzanne O July 8, 2016

"After suffering from manic episodes of depression and rapid mood cycles that have been uncontrollable for most my life, Lamotrigine allowed the mood swings to lessen and become more manageable. The drug lessened the intensity of the depression, and took the edge off. I felt able to rationalise my feelings, and also control anger ourbursts better. The best way I can describe the effectiveness is that they take the edge of the intensity of bad mood swings. Negatives: According to my doctor and a lot of things I've read, Lamotrigine is unsuitable for Bi Polar Type 1. I also found once I'd increased my dosage to 250ml, my moods were too suppressed and so eventually lowered my dose and came off them altogether. i am now back on them."

Ricky666 July 7, 2016

"I have suffered for years, with the obvious issues of relationships, work and crap that goes with this disease. I had to fight for lactimal with my GP, which is a very British issue, but I am now beginning to feel great. I have never been so positive and focused and I am not manic. I no longer feel the pain, although I have had the odd moment when my body wanted to slide back to what it is ised to and know. Please, please, anybody that needs help ask for this. It is a lifesaver!"

danblas (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "First I want to thank you all for your helpful reviews. It helped me to do my own research so I can suggest my choice of treatment to my psychiatrist, rather than just trusting the one he suggests. After being diagnosed bipolar 2, he suggested another med. I strongly advocated for Lamictal. I tapered up to 200mg, on a conservative schedule. I've had good results over the past 9 months. It definitely has lowered the instances of hypomania, or at least deescalated the intensity. It's done little to address the depression or anxiety, so we've agreed to add anti-depressant. Again, he suggested Cymbalta, which I opposed due to the all the information regarding withdrawal syndrome. We agreed on a low dose of Prozac which is going well so far."

bobby1977 (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2016

"Lamictal has been a major eye opener for me. I was astonished when the medication started to take effect (within a week or two), at how my condition was affecting my daily life. Since being on 200 mg per day I am able to wake up on time for work, attend my softball and hockey games, socialize with my friends, and take control of my life. I've spent the last 3 to 4 years in constant turmoil, jumping from medication to medication, trying various cocktails. Most of these had major side ffects that made them unbearable in the long run. Lamictal on the other hand has virtually 0 side effects, and almost 100% symptom control. I would recommend it to anyone suffering with Bipolar II."

Unequivocally_ June 7, 2016

"Still have major depressive episodes lasting 3-6 months. Also, weight gain and itchy scalp."

lane wolf June 4, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This medication has been very helpful as a mood stabilizer, along with Seroquel and Klonopin. It keeps me more "even." Although I have breakthrough depression and some manic symptoms here and there, for most part, it's been useful when it comes to preventing full-blown episodes, along with the other meds. I hope it continues to do so. I take 200 mg total daily. I haven't noticed any side effects, and I've been pretty consistent taking it. Lamictal takes a long time to titrate up. It's done me a lot of good. I'm working long hours and living a productive life."

xRavenx (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 4, 2016

"After a Med cocktail of Xanax (for sudden anxiety attacks), Zoloft, Lithium, Klonopin (for everyday anxiety) & Wellbutrin, I still felt severely depressed & eventually suicidal. I went to my psychiatrist in extreme distress with a constant stream of tears. She sent me to an inpatient facility where they put me on Lamictal. Within 7 days, I felt a drastic difference; stable, focused, even bubbly (but not manic). I take 50 mg (25 in the AM; 25 in the PM). I am so thankful for this medicine!"

Mona Lisa (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have only been on lamictal for a few months now. I am able to attend class again function at work and this is the first time in 3 years I've home without some form of severe beak."

Jojojojojojojo May 30, 2016

"Diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder 2 with my new psychiatrist last November. (Had 2 different hospital stays with same diagnosis, just didn't want to believe it.) started lamitcal at 50mg in November, and now I take 200mg daily and it's nice to feel like there's color in my world. Brought me out of a depressive episode and I've been very content with this medicine. Feels like it fits just for me after many trials and errors with antidepressants. Definitely feels like a veil has been lifted off me and the world even seems happier. I do have my off days , but they are just days and not weeks. I did have intense diarrhea when I started the 200mg and headaches but I don't notice any side effects at all now that I once had before. Very grateful."

Veevvv May 23, 2016

"Have been on Lamotrigine for 3 years at 125 mg per day. It has levelled out my moods dramatically. Really helps me to manage life. No noticeable side effects in that time."

Telecaster May 22, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I've taken Lamictal since 2002 and combined with two other drugs, I've been symptom free from bipolar since 2002."

Brightster (taken for 10 years or more) May 21, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This has been the best medicine for lifting my mood from severe depression due to bipolar. I have come along way. If you have not tried this I recommend it highly. I do take this with cymbalta, but I was on it years ago by itself and got good results. Give it a try."

Feefee40215 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Wellbuetrin (get off the couch). Zoloft (be happy). Pristiq (be happier). Xanax (chill out). Adderall (get 'er done, efficiently). Dexilant (ulcer, of course). Lisinopril (blood pressure). Up. Down. Up. Down. and then....because I felt so awful and helpless, pain pills. I'm a smart girl. I understand the epidemic and the risk of addiction, but didn't care. Went into new Dr. (one that finally didn't just take out a prescription pad and ask me "what do you want?", but asked questions to better understand me. The plan? To taper off a ton of these drugs (not cold turkey), and prescribed Lamictal. Game changer. Less meds for liver. More money in my pocket. More genuine calmness and happiness. Seriously, game changer"

PickOne (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2016

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This drug helps raise my mood slightly in the mornings. However, it also has side-effects of dizziness and headiness. This is especially true after two to six hours after you miss a dose."

Ady Miles (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 16, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Following about 4 months of being in a depressed state for little to no apparent reason (things were going good in my life), I added Lamictal to what I was taking. Along with Lithium, I took Lamictal for Bipolar. Lamictal worked very effectively to remove depression in a week. The issue was that I got out of depression so quickly, that I actually entered into a moderate manic episode. The episode did not lead to hospitalization, but had many of the elements that manic episodes have involving spending and lack of sleep and grandious thoughts and behavior. I didn't experience any negative side effects with the drug, and I just think for me the drug jolted me too much. No rash or anything, just scared me since I entered the manic."

Manuel231 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2016