User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"This drug made me Agitated I couldn't control my self I was really have a bad experience with this one and I feel like I lost my mind on this drug. I completely can't control my self Im BP II and when i take it i was in a mixed episode Be carefull !!! It can cause a bad hypomania !!!"

baaaaaaaaad (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 23, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This drug is a god send I suffered from bipolar since I was 17 im now 21 I have mixed episode that last for 6 month or more. I tried evey single medicine and I mean every thing antidepressant make me worse I have panic attack, fears ,alot of tears, a lot of depression, obsessive songs in my head lol and nothing seems to work like this one. I left all other drugs (not cold turkey ) , and started it and within 2 weeks I got normal - no panic, no depression and of course no hypomanic no side effect at all , this drug saved I'm more stable focused try it if you are bipolar 2 its a game changer"

jason83 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2016

"Hi I am 21 I suffered from bipolar 2 since I was 18 , I am the mixed episode manic all the time, I tried every single medicine and I mean every thing no thing subsided the mixed episode , (anti depressant makes me worse in the mixed episode) ,I tried lamictal 100 per day and its subsided the mixed episode no panic attack no tears or fears no hypomanic or depression at all and no side effecet this drug is a game changer for me and I'm so thankful its saved my life , I take it alone , and actually its good for weight loss sorry for my english hope you get some benefits try it its really the best for bipolar 2"

lamictal saved me (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2016

"Works amazingly for my Bipolar Non-Specified Disorder. Not a happy pill, but one that keeps me feeling stable most of the year. Has definitely made a world of difference in my life. Only negative side effect is that I have a harder time losing weight on this medication (however, it does not seem to directly cause weight gain)."

M^2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 19, 2016

"I love this medication. I was out of control when I was taken to a psychiatrist and diagnosed with Bipolar 1. This was the first medication I was prescribed and it worked like a charm. I'm now mostly stable with a down day about once every two weeks and minuscule manic symptoms. I do have to take a rash medication though. I take it with Latuda. They both work amazingly."

the pills r bay (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 17, 2016

"After being on 900mg a day of quitiapine and gaining 8 stone in weight, I knew something wasn't right. Yes I was stable but I was also numb and lack lustre. Tried a few other meds but none agreed until lamotrigine appeared. Hallelujah!! 5 stone weight loss over 4 months without dieting and I felt like me again for the first time in 8yrs. Took a while to get correct dosage as it was originally too high and made me vomit. I still have major down times but they only last days instead of months. Mostly I am energetic and full of life but not to the point of hypomania. My outlook on life is far more positive and I am more responsible and far less chaotic. I also take small doses of pregabalin and respiridone."

charley5 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 8, 2016

"I feel that lamotrigine offers no difficult side effects that further impact on my mood - compared to depakote, which I took previously. Depakote caused weight gain which increased my anxiety"

Loopyloop September 8, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This medicine is a godsend. I literally felt like it grew me up. it helps so much with bi polar disorder! I used to walk down the street and wonder what passing cars thought about me and wondered if they thought I walked silly. Weird but true. After a month on this medication my life changed. I was more focused my mood swings were not so sever if any at all (I used to have mood swings that would last four and sometimes six months at a time). This medicine changed my life and I feel as though the effects were life changing! Even when I stopped taking the medication I still felt the affects from how I felt. I do not recommend stopping taking the medication though as the mood swings will gradually find their way back into your life. I"

Bi-polar Bill (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 1, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This medicine probably saved my life. After being misdiagnosed with severe depression, I had been on a high dose of Prozac which led me to a near suicide attempt. Switching psychologists, I was diagnosed with bipolar 2, taken off of the Prozac and put on this medication and almost immediately noticed a difference. They told me that I shouldn't feel a difference until at least 150mgs but I felt it at 75mgs. I'm currently on 400mgs which is usually the highest for treating bipolar. It is also used to treat epilepsy, and people with epilepsy take thousands of mgs a day, so it I felt safer when experimenting with it. The only reason I gave it a 9 is that it doesn't completely hold me over when I have overwhelming emotions. Adding Trileptal now."

Anchor3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 30, 2016

"I have BP II. I LOVE Lamictal(lamotrigine). I was scared to go on it at first, because of the life-threatening rash listed as one of the side-effects, but it has done wonders for my mood and my life. This, taken with Lithium has literally been God-send! Lamictal straightened my mood right up!"

NightOwlie (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 30, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Lamictal worked like a charm on my mood. I so pleasantly surprised and relieved! I've tried something like 10 medications in an 11-year period and it's been the only thing that's worked. However, it gave me really bad back acne (like, whoa) and made me very physically ill- super swollen lymph nodes in my neck, fever, vomiting & fatigue, etc. I had to stop taking it, but I'd say it's definitely worth a try. In general I'm very susceptible to side effects. I have hypomania, depression, anxiety, ADHD, my mood is super unstable, and Lamictal was prescribed to me because my doctor wanted to stabilize my mood before putting me on a stimulant since stimulants by themselves make me way too hyper."

Anonymous August 29, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I was misdiagnosed for several years by numerous doctors who all kept throwing drugs upon drugs to deal with one symptom after another. I finally found my current psychiatrist who properly diagnosed me at that time with BP2. I started on Lamictal then and as the years have progressed and episodes have happened and my diagnosed changed to BP1 my dosage changed. I've been taking 600 mg for years and have had no side effects at all. To keep my mania at bay I take 600 mg of seroquel daily and then 300 mg of Wellbutrin to keep depression leveled out. I have to take 400 mg of Lamictal in the morning and then the other 200 mg at night before bed. That seems to keep a even range in my body."

bikergirl676 (taken for 10 years or more) August 27, 2016

"Bad side effects."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 19, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Caused a rash, so discontinued use."

PostmodenistCupie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

"This stuff made me more aggressive, i actually now have a crime record because of this, before this medicine my life was manageable, now it's just a mess, and the doctors won't give me anything else as they think this isn't the problem, but funny how when i started taking this, i started getting more angry and i also have a tick, which may be a form of tourettes."

Anonymous August 18, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This was the first mood stabilizer I was put on when I was diagnosed BP2 and I've been on it ever since, which was about 9 years ago. I love this med- I've had NO side effects. I'm on 500mg which is a very high dose but I'm also very treatment resistant. The only negative thing about this med is that I can't go on birth control. I have horrible mood swings and pain around 'that time' and birth control would help, but besides it lessening the effect of the birth control it also lessens the effectiveness of lamictal. There may be some birth control pill out there I can take, but my pdoc, and gyno haven't found it. :( Besides that this med is amazing & I'll never go off of it"

starlight77 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 16, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Did everything right: titrated up gradually as per manufacturer's instructions. Only side effect was a slight front forehead ache in the mornings. Then.... WHAM! About 6 weeks into taking lamotrigine woke up with migraine killer headache & aching joints like getting the 'flu. Then next morning had rash all over body which became raised bumps. Then bloodshot eyes. I was in bed the best part of 2 weeks. Instantly, I stopped the lamotrigine. Even though my psychiatrist just told me to reduce the dose! Duh! If not for the SJS reaction, I would definitely still be on this drug."

BrizVegasGal August 15, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This medicine gave me way too much energy. The other night I went on a run at midnight, because I had to burn off the energy. I would say it definitely made me extremely manic. I also stopped getting my period on it, and my breasts grew larger as well. Strange.."

Creamsoda August 7, 2016

"The best medication for bipolar I have ever had. For a while seroquel worked for me somewhat; although it blunted my mood to the point I could hardly recognise myself it stopped the most awful suicidal symptoms. The side effects were harsh though - excessive somnolence and drastic weight gain (I went up to seventeen stone.) Eventually, the side effects outweighed the benefits, and I stopped taking it, with catastrophic consequences. I bounced around between medications for a while, before my doctor tried lamotrigine; it made a difference. Since being on lamotrigine I have lost weight, started exercising, completed an access course, and am now working as a nursing assistant. I have been asymptomatic for 2 years, and have my life back."

Random nickname August 5, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Very effective but the side effect are bad if I don't take it correctly. I think there are ways you can reduce the effects( getting correct dosage of course) Before you consider going up a dose its worth considering. When you take them? I began taking mine at night, but have since taking through the day avoids headache, vision blurred, tremours. I take more last dose, breakfast, lunch & dinner. Do you take them food?I take them with food, I defiantly feel side effect, every time if I don't eat properly and skiip a meal Are you on any hormone treatment hrt/pill? I have found that there is a, as I call it, lower absorption rate as I'm on hrt and my consultant phy agrees, so I am taking a high does.What dosage? Even 25mg makes a difference."

Bee23 July 30, 2016

"Sadly, this drug did not work for me. I was on the side affects end of the spectrum near it killing me. After a few days I developed a slightly raised rash on my thigh and it turned into a bruise (caused internal bleeding like a bruise). I stopped taking it as soon as I was sure it wasn't just rosy skin. It seemed to come and go the second and third day. Well the damaged tissue and bruise took a long time to go away. It was scary. I'm now labeled as having an allergy to it. It was an extremely strong reaction my doctor said."

Slynnnss (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2016

"Hey so i just started taking Lamotrigine 100g very recently, literally a week. I have been fine all week and I was becoming very positive. I did not want it to change my personality as i am generally quite a hyper person, in the sense that, I was apprehensive about becoming mellow perhaps. It did not make me mellow at all and I was very happy about that. I have been happy and stable the entire week however today I am having a very down day. Is that normal? why am I having a down day? I literally cannot break myself out of this hole that randomly came today."

Suzanne O July 8, 2016

"After suffering from manic episodes of depression and rapid mood cycles that have been uncontrollable for most my life, Lamotrigine allowed the mood swings to lessen and become more manageable. The drug lessened the intensity of the depression, and took the edge off. I felt able to rationalise my feelings, and also control anger ourbursts better. The best way I can describe the effectiveness is that they take the edge of the intensity of bad mood swings. Negatives: According to my doctor and a lot of things I've read, Lamotrigine is unsuitable for Bi Polar Type 1. I also found once I'd increased my dosage to 250ml, my moods were too suppressed and so eventually lowered my dose and came off them altogether. i am now back on them."

Ricky666 July 7, 2016

"I have suffered for years, with the obvious issues of relationships, work and crap that goes with this disease. I had to fight for lactimal with my GP, which is a very British issue, but I am now beginning to feel great. I have never been so positive and focused and I am not manic. I no longer feel the pain, although I have had the odd moment when my body wanted to slide back to what it is ised to and know. Please, please, anybody that needs help ask for this. It is a lifesaver!"

danblas (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "First I want to thank you all for your helpful reviews. It helped me to do my own research so I can suggest my choice of treatment to my psychiatrist, rather than just trusting the one he suggests. After being diagnosed bipolar 2, he suggested another med. I strongly advocated for Lamictal. I tapered up to 200mg, on a conservative schedule. I've had good results over the past 9 months. It definitely has lowered the instances of hypomania, or at least deescalated the intensity. It's done little to address the depression or anxiety, so we've agreed to add anti-depressant. Again, he suggested Cymbalta, which I opposed due to the all the information regarding withdrawal syndrome. We agreed on a low dose of Prozac which is going well so far."

bobby1977 (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2016