User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Took this medication for a 2 months. Lamictal did help with depression but it also gave me bad anxiety and anger. When so would get angry, usually for little to no reason at all. It also worsened my vision. As soon as I stopped this med, my vision came back to normal (as close to normal as it was before Lamictal). It also made me really itchy, but that went away once I stopped it too. All of the side effects were very gradual, so I had no idea that they were because of the Lamictal and didn’t realize that until after I stopped it and they went away."

Spearit (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2018

"I've had hives, swollen lymph nodes and a sore throat.. I have not had a very good experience.. And also a trip to the ER."

Riska1393 January 12, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Been on Lamictal for 13+ years and it has been a life saver! I take 600 mg every day along with Seroquel and Wellbutrin and my life is as “normal” as possible."

Janasuth January 11, 2018

"Very lucky I got diagnosed bipolar II at first evaluation and started on lamictal. It has been a life-changer and my mood and energy have never been better. I take 200mg in the AM b/c it can keep me up at night. 25mg seroquel in the PM to fall asleep and between that and the lamictal it's been great. If I start to feel more depressed we increase the lamictal for a few months and go back down when I feel better. 2 years ago I became pregnant and my psychiatrist helped me look at all the research for lamictal during pregnancy and I decided to stay on it, was at 350 mg at the time. My baby was born very healthy with no defects. I cannot say enough good things about this medication! :-)"

NV (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 11, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Lamictal every morning has completely defeated my depression! Some itching when I first started it but that went away after a few weeks. Also on Seroquel XR at night to control mania. Never been this stable in my life!"

SkinCare Gal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 5, 2018

"I rarely write reviews for anything, but with so many terrifying stories on the internet about psych meds I had to share my positive experience with lamotrigine. I have mild to moderate bipolar I disorder that was misdiagnosed as unipolar depression and anxiety for almost thirteen years. I started this medication after a year long depressive episode followed by a manic/mixed episode. Although it only partially controls my mania/hypomania (I later started lithium as well), it relieved my depression like nothing else ever could. I started at 25mg and titrated up to 150mg with each increase bringing greater and greater relief. The best part: zero side effects. If your doctor prescribes this medication I wouldn't hesitate to try it."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 30, 2017

"My psychiatrist prescribed this medicine to me, after I told him I have been having these drastic mood swings for awhile, the majority of them being on the extremely Depressive side. I was crying 24/7, extremely moody ,plus I didn't have the energy to do absolutely anything, or move around. After taking this medicine,I feel more relaxed, my mood is stable, plus I feel more optimistic. Lamictal has helped me feel normal again"

NightRaven92 (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2017

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I was wrongly diagnosed with major depression, and spent 10 years cycling through various antidepressants that made my symptoms worse before I was prescribed this. Within days I noticed a major difference. I no longer felt chronically fatigued, and could do more than 1-2 "big" things per day (errands, cleaning, etc...), and was actually excited about being alive. It felt like I had spent years in a fog, but now I'm feeling genuine emotions, and have control over my moods and behavior, which were putting my life and relationships at risk. I'm like a completely different person, and finally feel stable and in control. I'm at the highest dose (300mg) and I am SO happy I found this drug; it's helped make life worth living again."

harris.tr December 24, 2017

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Brought me back to earth from flying around solo in my own world. I can now see how my behavior affects my environment, and I can better control my actions. Rapid cycling has turned into once a month during full moons. My dishes get washed instead of just thrown away. Only side effect is vision problems when dose is too high, corrected when lowered. Best medication I have ever taken."

Miss Hyde December 23, 2017

"I used to be anti pills until about 2 years ago. For most of my life I was dealing with mania more than depression. I was manic so long that I learned to cope. After I had hit the worst depression of my life I decided it was time to go back to the Doctors. Lamotragine has made a HUGE difference in my life. No crying spells, no restless fidgeting, no overpowering loud thoughts, no anxiety, no hyperactivity. I'd certainly give it a try if your bipolar disorder is eating at you."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 22, 2017

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I too got the rash, but I stopped it and it went away. Then I started it again but started with a very small dose and worked my way up slowly and never had a problem."

lee55653 December 13, 2017

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This medicine was fantastic - it allowed me to live my life without mood swings and I finally felt like a normal person. I was able to go about my daily routine without getting severely depressed or getting angry at people. Unfortunately this medicine had a very bad side effect for me that made it so I could no longer take it - my private parts were constantly itchy. I went to doctors and they could not tell me anything because they were just as confused as I was, I did not have any infections or anything like that. I traced back the timeline and thought that this medicine was causing it so I decided to stop taking it and sure enough my itchiness went away. This is a great medication but if you have this side effect you are not alone!"

joshmcorreia (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2017

"This drug has been a lifesaver to me. It's helped provide me with mood stability with an antidepressant effect, whereas lithium only controlled the mania part of my mood. I use this in combination with other drugs and so far there hasn't been any side effects. I tried decreasing the dosage, and within 2 days I noticed a difference in my mood. I would definitely recommend this drug. This has made a difference in my mood, the way I think, and my overall perspective. This improved my motivation to get work done, since I wouldn't be just sitting around reminiscing in a negative thought loop. It gives me mental freedom and allows me to escape brain fog that has imprisoned my thoughts. Seriously, don't be afraid to try this drug."

josh1447 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 27, 2017

"I'm on and off with the medication. Not really sure if I have seen a difference, though I am on and off." I just don't take it sometimes" . Due to the lack on not seeing the progress, I've been diagnosed BiPolar 2. Going to continue taking the Lamotrigine to see if any changes might happen ."

moe_dmajor November 24, 2017

"I am a 25 year old female. I was diagnosed with bipolar II disorder about 5 years ago. I have been taking 150mg of lamotrigine for over 2 years. Thus far I have experienced significant improvements in controlling my bipolar II disorder. I recently paired 100mg of sertraline to improve the lows. Also, I experience rapid cycling. I rated this drug 70% as I feel I still have a long way to go in recovery. But, the drug has definitely allowed me to be a highly functioning individual."

Anonymous November 22, 2017

"After being diagnosed with bipolar disorder, my doctor put me on this medication. I started at 25mg and eventually went up to 200mg. This medication is horrible. I was losing myself in the way it changed who I was. I became very irritable and unhappy. The littlest things set me off. I was not myself while taking this medication. I lost friends and my creativity. I wish I never had started this medication."

Anonymous November 20, 2017

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Lamictal has helped with the extreme highs; now they are at a normal level. But that being said, it has only helped the lows a little bit. The lows are still pretty low, so I wish Lamictal helped a little more with that. But I don't experience any (noticeable) side effects, so that's great. I would definitely recommend this!"

Mixed-Files (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2017

"I am 38, female, in a committed relationship again after divorce and bipolar type 1. Been on the generic of this drug (25mg) for 4 days. Not on any other meds. My therapeutic dose is 75mg, so I'm not quite there yet. It may be too soon to give a review, but it's important to note that I experienced immediate relief within 24 hours. But the real reason I am reviewing it today--day 4--I feel like my "old self" and not the bright shiny new self I experienced for 3 days straight. I also want to note that I feel like I go through withdrawal about 2-3 hours before I need to take my next pill (before bed) & get extremely moody. I am still optimistic, however. I plan on giving another review in a few weeks."

bleve1979 (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2017

"I have only been on lamotrigine for three weeks now but it is starting to work for me already. I started at 25 MG for the first two weeks, then increased to 50mg last week, as directed by my NP. I was misdiagnosed for 13 years with major depression before this. I tried several different antidepressants that did not work in the long run. When I was rediagnosed by my NP and a clinician at the local mental health institute, I went on an anti-seizure med that also treats bipolar (can't remember which one) but it made me sleep for over 12 hours each night and I was extremely groggy the day day. So I was put on lamotrigine. So far, the only side effects I have are increased hunger and worsened insomnia (already have insomnia no matter what."

Cat_Lady80 November 16, 2017

"Tried this medication after Zoloft caused me to have a partial manic episode. Very impressed with the results. I feel very clear headed and emotionally stable. Less anxious as well. No side effects after three months"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2017

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This was the absolute wrong drug for me. Not sure why my doc put me on this as I don't have a mood disorder I have depression and anxiety. But I got weird side effects like breathlessness, difficulty swallowing and a feeling of not being able to clear my throat - super phlegmy and I can't get it out which actually increased my anxiety. Once I put two and two together I immediately stopped taking those pills. Not the right med for depression and anxiety."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2017

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I was prescribed Lamictil and I did get Steven Johnson disease (a rare and sometimes fatal skin reaction) and was very ill. Luckily I was treated quickly and am on other medication. Just be aware of the symptom of Steven Johnson disease and go to ER immediately. "

Anonymous November 9, 2017

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I was just prescribed this but am freaking out about the chance of getting Steven Johnson’s. Has anyone experienced this and did it go away after you stopped taking it? Will I have to worry about this the entire time I’m on the medication?"

Anonymous October 25, 2017

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I've only been taking this for two weeks but I feel a major difference. I am normally super irritable and moody, I feel like this medication has helped me gain the self control to think before I speak. I also feel like it's relieved me of anxiety, when a situation happens I feel so chill. I also am no longer suffering from extreme depression fatigue, I never had energy to help out around the house and I am able to do dishes, laundry etc."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2017

"I was taking it (100-200mg) for about two years in 2011 up until 2015 in conjunction with Quetiapine. I managed to drop my dose and come off it entirely. After that I felt pretty good for 2 years. I slipped into depression again, low self esteem so was put me back on Lamictal (200mg) and i immediately felt really good. But it didn't last long; depression, anxiety, losing hair, gaining weight, acne, and today began developing a rash on my hands and a sore neck. I'm worried but I'm afraid of taking something else."

CanYouNot (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2017