User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR, Subvenite

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 80 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I was diagnosed with Bipolar several years ago. I was prescribed meds but I don’t take them at all. I hate meds. I experienced lots of episodes, admitted in the hospital twice, destroyed things, thoughts and attempted suicides many times. My life is in ruins. Until last year, after my last episode, I realized I need help and need to stop this suffering. I went to the hospital and I was able to talk to the doctor and prescribed me Lamotrigine. Wow! What a relief! It’s been 7 months and I feel great. I also take Respiridone at night, to help me get enough rest and sleep. I can now function normally. It keeps my emotions stable. I need to be careful though when it comes to stress. When highly stressed, my episode comes back. But other than that. I can’t live without this drug. It’s a life saver. Thank you, Lamotrigine."

Andrea May 28, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "It's been so great and a life-saver for me! Since beginning the medication in 2004, I haven't had any mania. At 100mg once a daily, I don't have any side-effects other than the usual cotton mouth. I tried generic and had one negative side-effect after another, so I switched to name brand and have been fine. Generic and name brand are NOT the same thing."

Turtle Lady (taken for 10 years or more) May 25, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Lamictal has been an extremely effective medication for my bipolar. I took 150mg for 5 years but recently increased to 200mg and found that I benefited from the increase. My moods are even more balanced. Wish I had discovered the need for a slightly higher dose sooner. In addition to lamictal I take 150mg of Wellbutrin daily with an occasional break to prevent a hypocrite manic episode. Also take Seroquel for sleep for some other bipolar symptoms. Lastly, Klonopin for general / social anxiety. "

Roma (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 23, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "After being formally diagnosed with Bipolar II, I tried Saphris, Abilify and Olanzapine before a different Doctor prescribed Lamictal. It is the gold standard in treating BP depression and was instantly effective for me. My depression diminished, my mood elevated, I had little to no side effect; but my hypomania did not seem to be affected. Years later I tried to wean myself off to start a Lithium/Lexapro combo and I immediately crashed. I will definitely stay on lamictal long term to treat Bipolar depression."

bpd789 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 17, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have been on lamictal for almost a year, along with a daily dose of wellbutrin 150 XL that I have been with for three years. Petite and sensitive to medication, I have done well on 50mg lamictal daily. This medication has brought so much RELIEF! Excellent addition to the wellbutrin. I deal mostly with depression, but also have been very mood sensitive and can be easily "sent over the edge." This medication brings me peace and well being. Having to deal with emotional instability is very stressful and burdensome (for me and those I love). That burden is lifted, as the range of emotions that I have are much more manageable. Less worrying if I am going to have an outburst, which means less shame to deal with. No major symptoms other than very brief, occasional, and mild nausea after I eat. Overall it has made a huge improvement to my quality of life. If you are in need of a stabilizer I hope it works for you!"

grateful for medicine May 11, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Lifesaver! After life long depression and countless other antidepressants, lamictal has allowed me to live a depression free life! Don't have a clue why its so expensive? That is a shame"

40 YR OLD MALE (taken for 10 years or more) May 9, 2018

"I have been on on Lamotrigine (Lamictal) since August of last year, and I believe it has been vital to my treatment of Bipolar II, specifically helping to 'level' me out. However, I did need to add an antidepressant (Celexa) in order to really treat my depression. I have been on this combination for several months, and this is literally the longest period of time in my life since battling depression (over a decade ago) that I have felt okay and dare I say happy. Of course I still have my moments, but they are fleeting where as before I was entirely consumed by depression and couldn't think or function properly and the only thing on my mind was dying."

Kim (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 9, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "My PDoc prescribed it to me, but I refused to accept that I had mild bipolar (type 2). However, my SSRI (Cipralex) was only numbing and sometime energizing me for no reason and eventually... led to inevitable depression dips . I stuck it out for almost 1.5 months on Lamictal only 25 mg's, and trust me, I feel a world of a difference. My life has changed. I feel like I can focus. Although there is MILD emotional numbing, almost stoic, I am able to be present with people and calmly socialize. It is easier to process emotions, which used to be overwhelming before. It allowed my mindfulness and self acceptance practise to skyrocket. Anyone planning on using this. Titrate slowly!!!!! My symptoms were too much handle when I shot up to 50MG's. I might be different, but please be patient with the drug and move slowly."

hmaqsood May 8, 2018

"I've been on lamotrigine for over 8 years and I can say it has given me my life back. Before my moods fluctuated quickly and I would have severe bouts of depression. At one point in my life it wasn’t about if I was going to kill myself, it was just a matter of when was I going to kill myself. Although increasing the medication slowly was frustrating and took almost 4 months to get to my current dosage, 400mg daily, it was well worth it. My mood swings are less severe and don’t occur as often, and I’m able to cope with life again. It isn’t a magic cure all, most medications aren’t and I think that’s where some people get confused and frustrated, but it’s allowed me to be mentally stable enough to access other mental health services such as therapy. Since going on Lamictal my quality of life has increased drastically. The only side effect I experience is if I take it too late in the day, it keeps me awake at night."

CaLi (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 6, 2018

"I have literally never written a review before. BUT I need to warn people about my experience with this: I titrated up VERY slowly. I didn't have any side effects for the first 3-4 weeks. Then 1 day, out of the blue, I started having severe chest pain & EXTREME heart palpitations. I had stabbing pain down my arms and legs & shooting pains in all my joints. My heart was beating out of my chest, I was vomiting blood, etc. I'm a 21 yr old, healthy girl. I kept taking it for about a week longer. The pain only got worse. I felt like I was having a heart attack 24/7. I couldn't even hold a pen cuz my wrists hurts so bad. It got so bad that I went to the ER because I thought I was dying, my chest hurt so bad. They ran an EKG, which came back normal, but the doctor said I was running a high fever, & my throat started closing very rapidly. They had to give me a bunch of shots of something to help me breathe because iIbegan to lose oxygen supply to my brain."

imisslilpeepandavicii May 6, 2018

"This med raises GABA. Thankful that I found it. Low GABA causes anxiety, panic attacks & suicidal thoughts. This medication is a lifesaver. <3 (:"

Haimé (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 16, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have generalized anxiety disorder along with OCD, depression, PTSD & weird/strong/angry mood swings. I am not bipolar but this medication keeps me under control. It helps my anxiety more than anything, I do get random "freak out" moments where I'll simply just want to go crazy on someone or something. So although I don't know exactly what this medication is helping me with, it's helping me overall be a better person with less (but still rare) mood swings. I'd recommend this med to anyone with any anxiety disorder, etc!"

tina (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2018

"My mood swings and panic attacks began after suffering from a terrible head injury and developing post concussive syndrome. I was a pretty well adjusted guy until the injury. I started getting intense mood swings that would last for a very short time. My panic became so unbearable that I landed in the psych ward where I was diagnosed with mixed states, rapid cycling bi polar. I was discharged out on seroquel which helped with sleep and the panic but I would still get awful, suicidal downs. I suggested to my psych to put me on lamictal after doing some research. Since I’ve been on this drug things got so much better. My depressed moods happen much less often and they’re not as intense. It’s been an amazing medication for me. I highly recommend it especially if you are rapid cycling."

Ey (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2018

"I've been on this medication twice; for 3 years in my early 20s, and I've been on it for the past 5 years. It has been the only stabilizer which helps even out my mood swings without feeling drugged. Lamotrigine stops my bipolar depressive episodes from happening as often. Initially it caused body aches and fatigue, which I normally deal with due to fibromyalgia, but noticed it each time the dose increased. Started at 12.5mg and increased by 12.5 every 10 days. 150mg is the most I can take without the side effects becoming noticeable. This medication needs to be worked with a little bit in order to get the dose where it should be."

morbs (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 26, 2018

"I was diagnosed with Bipolar II in August 2017 and I was a lucky one being put on a medication that worked pretty well for me on the first go around. I started with 25mg of lamotrogine and gradually progressed to 200mg over several months (which was how it was planned from the beginning) it has helped a ton and I feel way more stable and think much clearer. I do still have manic episodes from time to time which can be mild or severe. I take anxiety meds when I can to ease the mania but sometimes those don’t help. I just recently had seroquel added at night to further stablize me and hopefully stop the mania almost completely but I won’t know for a few days how that will work. Overall I haven’t had any negative side effects at all with lamotrogine!"

Kay Love (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 23, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I miss me. I'm on 25 mg with Wellbutrin 100, which is a long term drug for me. I'm supposed to increase the lamictal to 50 mg tomorrow and I'm terrified. Yes my moods are more stable. I don't rage at stupid telemarketers, but neither do I find any interest in anything I used to enjoy... no TV, no reading, no online games... I just pace wishing I could feel the joy and passion that I used to gave. So obviously, it works, just too much so for me."

Nes (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I was extremely edgy, Irritable, Depressed, constant thoughts of suicide and extreme fatigue. I was diagnosed with Depression, anxiety and Bi-polar disorder II. I started with 25Mg at night before sleep. Before taking Lamatical my dreams were insane I was constantly running from a person in all my dreams. It would cause distress waking up scared. As soon as I started it my dreams were no longer me running from anything rather just normal things I struggle with in my daily life family friends or issues I’m having. I haven’t had a running dream since! 2 years later I take 300Mg. I am nowhere near perfect but my brain is no longer foggy. I don’t cry for no reason at all like I used too. I’m just happy I made the decision to seek help. Make sure to keep a positive mind set even with set backs life is a struggle but it takes a clear mind to see the big picture! Last but not least keep your faith "

Badashhh March 9, 2018

"After 2 years and a horrible experience on lithium, I was put on lamotrigine. I started at 50mg/day...once I increased to 100mg/day, I turned into a complete zombie: wasn't happy, sad, mad...nothing. Just went through the motions. After 2 months of this, my vision got so bad that I couldn’t drive at night, and I had constant muscle pain. Then my hair started falling out in handfuls. After losing half of my hair, I gave up. My doctor has now switched me to Depakote. Maybe I’ll be one of the lucky ones that it works for!"

Cboxjett (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2018

"I have tried all the meds there are for bipolar and Lamotrigin was my last hope. I had read so many good things about it so I could not wait to see how well it works. When my dosage was 50 mg/day I was feeling ok. I woke up early and I could sleep at night. When my dosage was 100 mg/day I was tired 24/7. I have quit a lot of meds but tappering off Lamotrigine was a nightmare!!! Terrible headache everyday, double vision and insomnia. It took me weeks until my dosage was back to 50 mg/day. I tried again for a few weeks if 50 mg/day was a good dosage for me but I could not sleep and I had the terrible headache everyday. So I had to stop taking Lamotrigine and take some other meds instead. I have been 2 months without Lamotrigine but I still get the headaches which I never had before I took this med. So be careful!"

Corn (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 disorder last year. For one year I felt like a guinea pig, taking different medications, increasing & decreasing them. I felt like I would never feel better. My doctor started me on Lamictal after a really bad episode & it worked within two weeks. I am on Lamictal 50 mg a day & zoloft 100mg a day. I feel like a new person. I do not cycle all of the time now & only cry when it’s actually something sad to cry about & not all of the time. My anxiety is next to nothing anymore. This medication has been a life saver for me. I am so thankful that my doctor placed me on it even though I was ready to give up."

Christopher Robin February 20, 2018

"I have been struggling with BPD since my teenage years unmedicated. I am 30 and have destroyed numerous job opportunities and many relationships due to inappropriate behavior caused by not thinking clearly. I’ve been titrating up on lamictal after a bad episode at work triggered by 20mg of adderall (incorrectly prescribed for concentration problems). At 25mg I started to feel slight improvement. I could get off the couch and manage to somewhat get myself in order, but still had no impulse control. Pdoc brought me up to 100mg (after 5/6 weeks). I am on day 3 and don’t feel 100% yet but have noticed I’m getting more housework done and feel more hopeful, less angry, and less chaotic in my own head. My mind feels clearer and more crisp. Suicidal thoughts have stopped along with severe crying spells/temper tantrums. I haven’t been able to think without manic thoughts distracting me in 7/8 years. I am hopeful that this medication will change my life for the better."

Craycray16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 19, 2018

"Lamotrigine was the best mood stabilizer that worked for me I take 400mg per day (200 morning, 200 night) that is almost the maximum dosage, I have been on oxcaramazepine in past it was good but not as strong as lamotrigine and after a while it didn't work anymore."

Kaveh 20 bipolar (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "On it for 5 years. Mild bipolar (moody). My significant other can tell when I don’t take this even a few days. It is a magic drug. I met 3 other women who I found out were on it for bipolar and said this is the one pill they cannot go without. I have been on 100mg for 5 years and it still works the same. Magic! No weight gain. No side effects at all! Just smooth sailing. My drs described it as such, “here is you without lamictal. *holds one palm high and the other low* lamictal will keep you right in the middle. No more ups and downs.” And it’s done exactly that. I don’t think I’ll ever go without this med, and there is no reason not to. It works for me, and for tons of others. Miracle drug."

Iledahorsetowater (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 9, 2018

"I wish I had switched to lamotrigine years ago. I was on lithium for 30 years. Damaged my kidneys pretty bad. I'm now stage 3 Chronic kidney disease (CKD) with lithium caused Nephrogenic Diabetes Insipidus which is a rare disease of the kidneys, because of lithium. All those years, I had no problems with bi-polar episodes. Very disappointed Dr. did not switch me to lamotrigine earlier. Actually, a new Dr. did this and I'm so pleased. Wonderful med, no side effects. Lithium had some side effects, all gone now!"

Brimun February 8, 2018

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have been treated for what I thought was depression with anxiety since my twenties. At 60, I finally received a dx on the bipolar spectrum. Depakote is a dream, but I still had depressive symptoms (strong tendency to isolate). Because of headache, I have had to increase the dose of Lamictal extremely slowly (5mg to start, increasing by 5mg every 2-3 weeks as headaches abate), but it has made me more comfortable doing socially challenging things I want to do. Surprisingly, it also seems to be improving my circadian rhythm so I have been able to get to bed earlier."

sf100 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 7, 2018