User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"Horrible, horrible, horrible. My neurologist of 10 years retired. He mentioned and prescribed ambien for my chronic insomnia. Also did regular labs and sleep studies. He referred to another local neurologist who specialized in sleep. Without having my previous medical records and a brief 5 minute office visit, the doc, writes me a 3 month refill on ambien. Ok, then he told me I was bipolar manic and gives me script for lamotrigine. 25mg to taken twice a day. I was a bit confused as to how he came to take diagnose after 5 minutes with me. I've never been told or treated for manic bipolar. He said it helped with my sleep. I took 2 doses as prescribed. I blacked out and work up agitated, confused, crying with thoughts of suicide. I flushed the rest."

cityoflights (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This medication completely turned my life around. For 2 years I've been going through countless of antidepressant cocktails without much luck (one of them was Effexor and Mirtazapine which apparently is one of the most effective combos) It was until a few months ago when I demanded being evaluated for bipolar disorder, and after a few tests they put me on Lamictal (in combination with Wellbutrin, Prozac and Mirtazapine) the first titration weeks was hell, my mood was all over the place. But early February everything did a 180 and now I'm finally able to live a normal adult life"

Bipolar2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I was on 400 mgs for six years. In that time it messed with my testosterone. My doctor never said anything about it. Still suffered from manic depression, depression anxiety."

Dean Winchester February 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I wanted to add to my review. Besides developing a very bad rash & chest pains, sometimes Lamictal would give me heartburn & indigestion too. It would last for hours & I would be very nauseated. I never had heartburn or indigestion before, so I know it was the medicine that caused it. I'm so glad I don't take it anymore."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I've had a few unpleasant side effects. I feel truly blessed with this medication. I had bipolar 2 and other more common medications were not an option for my mood disorder. It keeps me so much more stable. I took a lot of drugs before and was suicidal. I was able to get off drugs and stopped my suicidal urges. I had grown unfaithful with psychiatry. I was sure that this medicine would not work like every other thing but it helped me so much. There are so many positive effects. Prevents suicidal urges, lessen depression, relaxes my body, helped me take lower doses of Xanax, helps anxiety, helps sleep, Happy sometimes Cons - It effects my memory bad and I've lost a lot of hair. I'm a girl and my hair is really thinning out. :/"

Jennycccxzx (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 18, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Lamictal is a great medication. The titration takes quite a while, but it's worth it -- honestly. It isn't too effective at controlling the hypo or full blown mania -- as something like Geodon -- but it's a crown jewel for depression, especially treatment resistant depression. In terms of side effects there are few to none for most people. What I got was some mild dizziness and photosensitivity/blurred vision (a little irritating but nothing serious). In combo with Zoloft this was the "power cocktail" I was on for years."

Psychtraveler (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 16, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I started at 25 mg of Lamictal. After 2 weeks my doctor increased it to 50 mg. 2 weeks after increasing my med I noticed a minor skin rash on my chest one night. I overlooked it & continued taking the Lamictal. When my doctor increased it to 100 mg that is when I started having a bad reaction. That night I broke out in a bad rash on my chest, stomach & left arm (not my right arm). I also started having bad chest pains. I called my doctors office the next day & the nurse told me to stop taking the Lamictal & go to the hospital. I'm stubborn, so I refused to go. My chest pains had gone away & the rash was clearing up, so I wasn't as worried about it as I was the night before. I decided to go to the EmergiCare instead & I turned out to be OK"

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Has not made me feel better, I started on the 25mg dosage for two weeks and went up to the taking two 25mg just yesterday as the doctor instructed. My back feels like it's burning, I have weird sensations all over my body. My mother said I looked like a crack head the way I kept touching around the neck area (where most of the sensations are. I have pimples on my face that came over night after I started taking two 25mg."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have started on 50mg of Lamotrigine from 25mg. I feel alert, motivated and wake up earlier then I did (8am instead of 10am). I feel a little jittery since the increase but my ruminating thoughts and Depression are lower. Waiting to see how the increase to 100mg goes. This has worked great for me in the past let's hope it helps again! Hope this is helpful."

Strawberries12 February 12, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I'm bipolar and I guess for a year or two I was trying to stabilize my mood with pain killers (I've had cervical spine surgery and lung surgery so have access). When I started taking Lamictal it seemed like my pain subsided and I was able to easily quit using my medication. Also haven't felt a need to drink alcohol. Feel very stable and seems like my interests are coming back. I've taken lamictal before for a couple years and don't remember why I got off. First time I took it I got a rash but it went away. This time have not experienced a rash. Taking 200mg morning 200mg night. Seems to be a perfect dose for me. So much easier with my business, wife, and kids. They didn't deserve my mood swings."

RuinerLabs February 1, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I moved from quetiapine to lamictal about six weeks ago. I have stopped itching as badly now, and feel quite good. Currently taking 200mgs. I am having trouble sleeping, Here in England Dr doesn't prescribe sleeping pills. I'm very tired in the morning as a result and early evening, then come alive! I feel things better, my anger and irritation has subsided. I have lost a stone in weight in last 8 weeks.. this has helped, so feel more positive. I wish I could relax though."

Twigletto (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "It was fantastic when I started taking it, I finally felt myself after 3 years of feeling possessed or going crazy...after 3 years of taking it I started to have cysts behind my ears, in my face, especially in the chin, and when I realized it was lamictal that was causing it I stopped it. I still have cysts, I was told it's an allergic reaction on my skin to the drug. Now, after 2 years not taking it the cysts are appearing still but not as fast or defacing as it was. I read on forums the condition could never cure, but I am seeing good progress on my skin. It was a nightmare, it even gave me cysts on my scrotum. The body is slowly expelling them, but very slowly. I also have 3 cysts on my left nipple and I think those will need surgery."

denisignr (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 28, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I took lithum for 18 years but it damaged my kidneys. Lithium was OK would rate 5/10 now on lamoctal was told 200mg was average dose but everyone different went up to 400mg. This has changed my life for the better, glad Lithium damaged kidney so I was forced to change drugs and be finally happy."

Spud UK January 28, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Our 16 year old son was diagnosed with Bipolar and placed on many medicines that made him worse. Once he started on Lamictal, he is making wonderful progress, having clearer thinking and more stable moods. He stated that the medicine is really helping him. He has been on this medicine for several months at a low dosage and we are seeing our son come back!"

My3SonsRGreat January 25, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Well, I don't know if I'm the only one on here but this did not work very well for me. My skin started being much more red (especially in my face). Under my eyes looked sickly. I had a harder time falling asleep. I even began to have ocular problems. I still was having panic attacks and severe depression--I suppose I was less manic though?"

kcgirl1234 January 25, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Lamotrigine was the first medication I was prescribed after being diagnosed with bipolar II at 32 years old. Almost immediately, I felt more even. As I was titrated from 25 mg to 250 mg over a few months, I was lifted out of a severe, crippling depression. Lamotrigine is my %u201Cpep%u201D drug because it works for me as an antidepressant. I did go manic on it a couple times when the medication dosage was increased and had to go on a second medication (Neurontin) to %u201Cbring me down.%u201D But the two meds together work to even me out. Overall, I think this is a great medication. I%u2019ve had no major side effects except severe insomnia but the second medication sleeping medication help manage that."

elf_1984 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 24, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I asked on this site about my taking 300 mg lamictal for 2 weeks after titrating up and not seeing consistent results. A couple of you suggested I split the dosage and take twice a day. Well, good news! After a couple of days, I started feeling consistently better. If anyone is going through what I was, I recommend you talk to your doctor about dividing the dose. Thanks for all your help. I am getting my life back so I want to help others!"

Nadia2000 January 20, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have bipolar 2. I used to over-react to everything and would get butterflies in my stomach. I was irritable and always worried about something. Now my moods are stable because I'm assessing situations more realistically instead of catastrophizing. No more tears. My mom said I'm acting like I did when I was a child---happy."

Happy User January 18, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have suffered with severe depression and manic episodes for 15 years. I have been on Zoloft 200mg and Klonopin 2mg. This medication stopped working . My Paychiatrist Prescribed Lomotrigine 50 mg. it has definitely made a difference in my quality of life. I use to sleep 16 hours a day during my depressed episodes. During my highs I wouldn't sleep @ all. This is an excellent medication if your bipolar, it Will level out your moods."

pblackiston January 17, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Hi all, I left my opinion last year around October. And things have changed just a bit. I understood my illness is genetic Bc my uncle had it and my dad has it but don't accept it I guess. Anyway 70% of cases have a genetic background so feel better about that. You didn't chose this. I feel Lamictal is not working as well after two years but not a major change. I will increase it from 200mg to 250 this week. I control my depression with clonazepan. I feel anxiety makes depression worse. So when it kicks in then I feel stronger enough to make a prayer and it goes away.we need to do some work in our brain. Everything that is negative you change it for "yes" and I can and I will."

The Athalaian (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been treated using every medication possible. (Paxil, Prozac, lexapro, latuda, lithium, abilify, Wellbutrin, vybriid, klonopin, propranolol, etc) my doc suggested Lamotragine for my migraines and my bipolar. Worst idea. I ended up getting migraines daily and it sky rocketed my bipolar to the point I couldn't get out of bed. I blocked everyone's number who tried to get in contact with me and I became extremely irrational, irritable, and destructive. I'm on day 3 of getting off and it's still in my system. I feel as if I am insane."

Anonymous M (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have been on generic lamictal for nearly 2 months, on 300 mg for 1 week so far. I feel great when I wake up, depressed late am and afternoon, then decent in the evenings. Has anyone else had this with lamictal? My hope is that a higher dosage will do the trick. Thanks for any responses!"

Nadia2000 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Not the most effective. It did tone down my hypomania a little bit. I normally get depressive episodes at a set time every year, and lamotrigine pushed it a bit later than it would have been. Besides that, it didn't do much; I'm still having severe depressive episodes that lead to suicidality. No side effects on its own, but I've noticed that it seems to magnify the side effects of other drugs if I take both (e.g., if I take a drug that makes me drowsy, lamotrigine makes me more drowsy; if I take a drug that makes me nauseous, lamotrigine makes me more nauseous, etc.). All in all I'm pretty neutral on this drug. It's not great, but not bad."

Audrey K January 9, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I am a 31 year old female. I was prescribed Lamictal by my psychiatrist after describing my terrible mood swings. I was easily annoyed, agitated, and irritable. I would go from super happy and laughing to crying and screaming at the drop of a hat. I tried so hard to control it, but I couldn't. This medication has leveled me out so much. I feel much more "normal." I'm currently taking 50 mg twice a day. After about a month, I do notice my symptoms start to return. I tell my psychiatrist, and he ups my dose. I'm hoping I'll eventually reach a dosage that'll stick. I still have some anxiety (especially social anxiety), but this medication has helped me so much. It has really improved my personal relationships."

lefrye13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I wanted to take some time out of my day in case someone is struggling and I may help them have the hope and courage to take the leap and get better. I have bipolar spectrum ADHD. I have never had a manic episode, but I get pretty irritable, hyper, and feel like I'm crawling out of my skin sometimes. I have some mood swings and have had some impulsive behavior that I am not proud of. I was always very ashamed of this and was lucky that I could contain it by really white-knuckling through life. I eventually was exhausted by this and tried this medicine at the suggestion of a wonderful psychiatrist, who I am willing to recommend. Within a month I was a different person. I am calmer, steadier, and found contentment. Please get help :)."

nicolemarie8 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2016