User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"Sadly, this drug did not work for me. I was on the side affects end of the spectrum near it killing me. After a few days I developed a slightly raised rash on my thigh and it turned into a bruise (caused internal bleeding like a bruise). I stopped taking it as soon as I was sure it wasn't just rosy skin. It seemed to come and go the second and third day. Well the damaged tissue and bruise took a long time to go away. It was scary. I'm now labeled as having an allergy to it. It was an extremely strong reaction my doctor said."

Slynnnss (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2016

"Hey so i just started taking Lamotrigine 100g very recently, literally a week. I have been fine all week and I was becoming very positive. I did not want it to change my personality as i am generally quite a hyper person, in the sense that, I was apprehensive about becoming mellow perhaps. It did not make me mellow at all and I was very happy about that. I have been happy and stable the entire week however today I am having a very down day. Is that normal? why am I having a down day? I literally cannot break myself out of this hole that randomly came today."

Suzanne O July 8, 2016

"After suffering from manic episodes of depression and rapid mood cycles that have been uncontrollable for most my life, Lamotrigine allowed the mood swings to lessen and become more manageable. The drug lessened the intensity of the depression, and took the edge off. I felt able to rationalise my feelings, and also control anger ourbursts better. The best way I can describe the effectiveness is that they take the edge of the intensity of bad mood swings. Negatives: According to my doctor and a lot of things I've read, Lamotrigine is unsuitable for Bi Polar Type 1. I also found once I'd increased my dosage to 250ml, my moods were too suppressed and so eventually lowered my dose and came off them altogether. i am now back on them."

Ricky666 July 7, 2016

"I have suffered for years, with the obvious issues of relationships, work and crap that goes with this disease. I had to fight for lactimal with my GP, which is a very British issue, but I am now beginning to feel great. I have never been so positive and focused and I am not manic. I no longer feel the pain, although I have had the odd moment when my body wanted to slide back to what it is ised to and know. Please, please, anybody that needs help ask for this. It is a lifesaver!"

danblas (taken for less than 1 month) June 18, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "First I want to thank you all for your helpful reviews. It helped me to do my own research so I can suggest my choice of treatment to my psychiatrist, rather than just trusting the one he suggests. After being diagnosed bipolar 2, he suggested another med. I strongly advocated for Lamictal. I tapered up to 200mg, on a conservative schedule. I've had good results over the past 9 months. It definitely has lowered the instances of hypomania, or at least deescalated the intensity. It's done little to address the depression or anxiety, so we've agreed to add anti-depressant. Again, he suggested Cymbalta, which I opposed due to the all the information regarding withdrawal syndrome. We agreed on a low dose of Prozac which is going well so far."

bobby1977 (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2016

"Lamictal has been a major eye opener for me. I was astonished when the medication started to take effect (within a week or two), at how my condition was affecting my daily life. Since being on 200 mg per day I am able to wake up on time for work, attend my softball and hockey games, socialize with my friends, and take control of my life. I've spent the last 3 to 4 years in constant turmoil, jumping from medication to medication, trying various cocktails. Most of these had major side ffects that made them unbearable in the long run. Lamictal on the other hand has virtually 0 side effects, and almost 100% symptom control. I would recommend it to anyone suffering with Bipolar II."

Unequivocally_ June 7, 2016

"Still have major depressive episodes lasting 3-6 months. Also, weight gain and itchy scalp."

lane wolf June 4, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This medication has been very helpful as a mood stabilizer, along with Seroquel and Klonopin. It keeps me more "even." Although I have breakthrough depression and some manic symptoms here and there, for most part, it's been useful when it comes to preventing full-blown episodes, along with the other meds. I hope it continues to do so. I take 200 mg total daily. I haven't noticed any side effects, and I've been pretty consistent taking it. Lamictal takes a long time to titrate up. It's done me a lot of good. I'm working long hours and living a productive life."

xRavenx (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 4, 2016

"After a Med cocktail of Xanax (for sudden anxiety attacks), Zoloft, Lithium, Klonopin (for everyday anxiety) & Wellbutrin, I still felt severely depressed & eventually suicidal. I went to my psychiatrist in extreme distress with a constant stream of tears. She sent me to an inpatient facility where they put me on Lamictal. Within 7 days, I felt a drastic difference; stable, focused, even bubbly (but not manic). I take 50 mg (25 in the AM; 25 in the PM). I am so thankful for this medicine!"

Mona Lisa (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have only been on lamictal for a few months now. I am able to attend class again function at work and this is the first time in 3 years I've home without some form of severe beak."

Jojojojojojojo May 30, 2016

"Diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder 2 with my new psychiatrist last November. (Had 2 different hospital stays with same diagnosis, just didn't want to believe it.) started lamitcal at 50mg in November, and now I take 200mg daily and it's nice to feel like there's color in my world. Brought me out of a depressive episode and I've been very content with this medicine. Feels like it fits just for me after many trials and errors with antidepressants. Definitely feels like a veil has been lifted off me and the world even seems happier. I do have my off days , but they are just days and not weeks. I did have intense diarrhea when I started the 200mg and headaches but I don't notice any side effects at all now that I once had before. Very grateful."

Veevvv May 23, 2016

"Have been on Lamotrigine for 3 years at 125 mg per day. It has levelled out my moods dramatically. Really helps me to manage life. No noticeable side effects in that time."

Telecaster May 22, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I've taken Lamictal since 2002 and combined with two other drugs, I've been symptom free from bipolar since 2002."

Brightster (taken for 10 years or more) May 21, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This has been the best medicine for lifting my mood from severe depression due to bipolar. I have come along way. If you have not tried this I recommend it highly. I do take this with cymbalta, but I was on it years ago by itself and got good results. Give it a try."

Feefee40215 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Wellbuetrin (get off the couch). Zoloft (be happy). Pristiq (be happier). Xanax (chill out). Adderall (get 'er done, efficiently). Dexilant (ulcer, of course). Lisinopril (blood pressure). Up. Down. Up. Down. and then....because I felt so awful and helpless, pain pills. I'm a smart girl. I understand the epidemic and the risk of addiction, but didn't care. Went into new Dr. (one that finally didn't just take out a prescription pad and ask me "what do you want?", but asked questions to better understand me. The plan? To taper off a ton of these drugs (not cold turkey), and prescribed Lamictal. Game changer. Less meds for liver. More money in my pocket. More genuine calmness and happiness. Seriously, game changer"

PickOne (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2016

"This drug helps raise my mood slightly in the mornings. However, it also has side-effects of dizziness and headiness. This is especially true after two to six hours after you miss a dose."

Ady Miles (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 16, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Following about 4 months of being in a depressed state for little to no apparent reason (things were going good in my life), I added Lamictal to what I was taking. Along with Lithium, I took Lamictal for Bipolar. Lamictal worked very effectively to remove depression in a week. The issue was that I got out of depression so quickly, that I actually entered into a moderate manic episode. The episode did not lead to hospitalization, but had many of the elements that manic episodes have involving spending and lack of sleep and grandious thoughts and behavior. I didn't experience any negative side effects with the drug, and I just think for me the drug jolted me too much. No rash or anything, just scared me since I entered the manic."

Manuel231 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2016

"Since I'm on this medication, my bipolar 2 symptoms have disappeared and life became much easier for me. Since than, I live a much active and healthier life . I was diagnosed at the age of 57 years old...After years of problematics I finally look at life in a more positive way."

triple a May 13, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I've abused alcohol for 12 years now. I just started taking lamictal the other day and instantly made feel so much better! I have not had any alcohol cravings either and I'm looking forward to the future. I'm so grateful."

MP1985 May 4, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "For years I had been (mis)treated for clinical unipolar. I went through many SSRIs, but each one "hit the wall" - had only limited effect on the deepest depression, and none as a maintenance drug. Changed pyschs. She suggested an off-label use of Lamotrigene. Within a couple of weeks I felt so much better! We scaled back (and eliminated) Effexor SSRI. I continued to get better. She moved away, so I had to find another psychiatrist - or psych nurse. The new psych nurse did an interview, and said I was being treated for the wrong disease. I felt better because Lamotrigene was working on my bi-polar! 5 years later, I'm still doing well - mood swings moderated, deep depression less deep and less frequent."

Sandy Beach (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 26, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Started at 25 mg upped to 50 then 100 over 2 week periods. Feel absolutely horrible. Had rash on face at onset now I feel dizzy, lightheaded, headache, can't handle any smells or smoke, nausea, acid reflux, burping and bruising. Have backed down to 50 and eventually to 25 to get the hell off! Can't drive, go anywhere or function."

Bunnielulu (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This is the first medication out of all the meds I've tried (lithium, seroquel) to stabilize my moods on a daily basis. My mood has never been this stable from as far as I can remember. It took a few months to work though, and dosage is really critical. Going from 100mg to 200mg made a BIG difference. I also started taking more at night which helps keeps my irritability down in the morning. I haven't had any side effects at all from this, except decrease in appetite. Being already skinny, this is a little disappointing, however I'd take that any day over depression."

PoppingHappy April 22, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2005 and tried a variety of things, none of which worked, and actually some of them had bad side effects (Seroquel, for example). I tried Lamictal as a last-ditch effort, but was apprehensive due to the Stevens-Johnson syndrome issue but that didn't happen to me. I'm now on 350mg of the drug since then and although I can say it has treated my depression, it has not worked all that well for controlling bipolar symptoms, mainly the buying sprees and bad on the spot decision making (thinking nothing can harm me). I have been seeing commercials on tv for Latuda and so I might ask my doctor about that. Also there are some other side effects of the Lamictal that aren't pleasant ..."

MiataBear (taken for 10 years or more) April 12, 2016

"Has anyone experienced dizzy spells from this medication? I started at 25mg last week & now I'm at 50mg. I have read nothing but wonderful reviews on Lamictal. I'm waiting for my doctor to call me back."

Kim (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I was diagnosed with bipolar 2, bipolar with depression, bipolar without mania... The main thing I noticed about Lamictal is that it seemed to have helped with ADHD symptoms, that I really didn't know I had, until I read the symptoms for that. I was chronically late, my whole adult life. I lost almost every job I had due to lateness. I had other ADHD symptoms, but that was not my diagnosis. Guess I thought all those things were just character flaws. After I started taking Lamictal, I was not late anymore! It seemed to have helped with depression, but any benefit from that has seemed to come back. I came to this site looking for extended, long range use of Lamictal."

msluckey1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 7, 2016