User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Hi all, I left my opinion last year around October. And things have changed just a bit. I understood my illness is genetic Bc my uncle had it and my dad has it but don't accept it I guess. Anyway 70% of cases have a genetic background so feel better about that. You didn't chose this. I feel Lamictal is not working as well after two years but not a major change. I will increase it from 200mg to 250 this week. I control my depression with clonazepan. I feel anxiety makes depression worse. So when it kicks in then I feel stronger enough to make a prayer and it goes away.we need to do some work in our brain. Everything that is negative you change it for "yes" and I can and I will."

The Athalaian (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017

"I have been treated using every medication possible. (Paxil, Prozac, lexapro, latuda, lithium, abilify, Wellbutrin, vybriid, klonopin, propranolol, etc) my doc suggested Lamotragine for my migraines and my bipolar. Worst idea. I ended up getting migraines daily and it sky rocketed my bipolar to the point I couldn't get out of bed. I blocked everyone's number who tried to get in contact with me and I became extremely irrational, irritable, and destructive. I'm on day 3 of getting off and it's still in my system. I feel as if I am insane."

Anonymous M (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2017

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have been on generic lamictal for nearly 2 months, on 300 mg for 1 week so far. I feel great when I wake up, depressed late am and afternoon, then decent in the evenings. Has anyone else had this with lamictal? My hope is that a higher dosage will do the trick. Thanks for any responses!"

Nadia2000 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2017

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Not the most effective. It did tone down my hypomania a little bit. I normally get depressive episodes at a set time every year, and lamotrigine pushed it a bit later than it would have been. Besides that, it didn't do much; I'm still having severe depressive episodes that lead to suicidality. No side effects on its own, but I've noticed that it seems to magnify the side effects of other drugs if I take both (e.g., if I take a drug that makes me drowsy, lamotrigine makes me more drowsy; if I take a drug that makes me nauseous, lamotrigine makes me more nauseous, etc.). All in all I'm pretty neutral on this drug. It's not great, but not bad."

Audrey K January 9, 2017

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I am a 31 year old female. I was prescribed Lamictal by my psychiatrist after describing my terrible mood swings. I was easily annoyed, agitated, and irritable. I would go from super happy and laughing to crying and screaming at the drop of a hat. I tried so hard to control it, but I couldn't. This medication has leveled me out so much. I feel much more "normal." I'm currently taking 50 mg twice a day. After about a month, I do notice my symptoms start to return. I tell my psychiatrist, and he ups my dose. I'm hoping I'll eventually reach a dosage that'll stick. I still have some anxiety (especially social anxiety), but this medication has helped me so much. It has really improved my personal relationships."

lefrye13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2017

"I have been on generic lamictal for bipolar depression titrating up to now 200 mg for one week. It has helped especially in the mornings but I still have some mild depression in the afternoons and evenings. My question is: should I switch to brand lamictal or stay on generic and go up to a higher dose? I see my doc this week.Thanks for any responses!"

Nadia2000 December 31, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I wanted to take some time out of my day in case someone is struggling and I may help them have the hope and courage to take the leap and get better. I have bipolar spectrum ADHD. I have never had a manic episode, but I get pretty irritable, hyper, and feel like I'm crawling out of my skin sometimes. I have some mood swings and have had some impulsive behavior that I am not proud of. I was always very ashamed of this and was lucky that I could contain it by really white-knuckling through life. I eventually was exhausted by this and tried this medicine at the suggestion of a wonderful psychiatrist, who I am willing to recommend. Within a month I was a different person. I am calmer, steadier, and found contentment. Please get help :)."

nicolemarie8 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I've seen a psychiatrist and a therapist for year. Over a 12 year span, I've probably tried 20-30 drugs. This medication is the first to make me feel human again. I'm not a zombie and I'm not lacking emotion. I'm genuinely happy and thriving. I'm so happy I finally found this medication. I've also not had weight gain, I've actually lost some weight."

kshaw2012 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2016

"While I can definitely say that it changed my life for the better, it just wasn't enough. And yet, it made me sluggish. I know that sounds paradoxical... it was like I really didn't want to do anything at all, but my head was still racing. I still talked too fast, I still couldn't sleep... it just wasn't enough. It slowed my body, I think, but not my mind."

espresso_dreams (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 27, 2016

"Hi...I have been on lamictal for 6 weeks, titrating up from 25 to now 200 mg for 3 days now. I had a couple of days at 50 mg when I was feeling better, then at 100 mg, I felt pretty good. I noticed feeling a little depressed again and still feeling this way at 200 mg. Is it normal to dip after feeling better? What can I expect and when can I expect my mood to stay elevated? Thank you for any responses!"

Nadia2000 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Great. I have been on it for ten years. I was diagnosed with bipolar 1 at 25 y/o and it took me about 1.5 yrs before a psychiatrist recommend this. They also had me on depakote which can cause liver damage. Later I removed the depakote. When life continued became more stressful (getting my master's and starting a family) I had anxiety start and begun Paxil. I am now trying to stop paxil."

Mattyfour December 26, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "At first I was hesitant because of the price w/o ins (over $100 a bottle) and some people can develop a serious rash. However, after some contemplation, and knowing that the lithium I was taking was not helping my bi-polar depression, and knowing Lamictal helps increase energy, I decided to take it anyway... I LOVE THIS STUFF. Its helped me so much, I've gone off lithium and am taking it exclusively for BP2. I'm on a low dose of 50 mg because I experienced some itching at first, which did go away after about a month. Now, I have NO side effects, and my depression is GONE without me feeling numb. In other words, I can still be sad without spinning into depression. I haven't gone manic either, but I rarely go that way, so it works for me!"

LOVE this stuff! (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2016

"I have Bipolar 2. Have been in a combination of Lithium and Pristiq for 5 years and it worked perfectly, however. In August I suffered a very rare side effect of pristiq know as RCVS which besically cause my cerebellum arteris to spasm resulting in two severe strokes. Thankfully I have recovered well but had to be taken off the pristiq immediately. As I couldn't take any my meds for risk of strokes reoccurring I was put on Lamotragine. So combine two mood stabiliser, one for mania and one for depression I am now almost back to what I was like prior to the strokes. Lamotragine has been a lifesaver!"

BPz (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2016

"Lamictal has really helped with my bi polar depression. I was on Latuda too but I gained weight on it and it killed my sex drive. Currently I am being tapered off of Latuda and I've started taking lithium. I feel happy and stable."

Onedayatatime73 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 13, 2016

"I started this medication very slowly to avoid the rash if at all possible. 25 mg in morning and at night for two weeks. Increased dose .50 in morning and .50 at night for another two weeks. I am now at .75 in morning and .75 at night. I find by dividing the medication in the day, I am more stable over all."

rookrook December 10, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I have been on 400 mg of lamictal for 12 years. My life went from a nightmare of being diagnosed with major clinical depression and anxiety disorder with racing thoughts to a normal life. I tried more antidepressants and combinations than I can count in the 3 years leading up to my rapid cycling bp2 diagnosis. I have minor hypomanic episodes a few times a year and only a few depressive episodes in the last 12 years. No side effects. Tonight I start Teva manufacturer generic. New insurance won't cover brand ($1100/mth) So scared if it will work. Doc says I'll know within 2 weeks. Had a baseline blood draw so I can compare my levels on brand vs. Generic."

Bp2 tx (taken for 10 years or more) December 1, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "My experience with lamictal is different for me in most cases. I used to take 25mg of lamictal. When I had taken the meds everyday I didn't feel any different from when I wasn't taking them. I had no side effects it was like taking air. So I kept having suicidal thoughts & being angry at 8am & by 8:30 am i was happy. I just had different moods every 30 mins. So i talked to my doctor and told her the meds werent working i told her how i was feeling so she gave me 100mg. Ever since then i have had no feeling what so ever. Like I can choose what to care about & what not to care about. I'll be fine all day and by 8-9 o'clock pm all of my bipolar & depression hits me like a wave of sadness that I feel like I'm drowning in. I guess its worth it.."

CookieMonster9 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2016

"I have bipolar disorder type 2 and I am on my second month of Lamotrigine (Lamictal), and I am already seeing results! I am on a small dosage, 50mg, and life is already so much easier. I have severe anxiety alongside my bipolar disorder, and as soon as my anxious urges begin to emerge (way too many times throughout the day) they are immediately suppressed. Although my mania is not completely under control due to my just starting it, it is under control compared to myself two months ago. My bipolar disorder was to the point where I would wake up one day extremely depressed and the very next day I could be horribly manic, rather than the highs and lows being spread over a prolonged period of time. I do have the rash, not severe though!!"

Madisonnnnn November 20, 2016

"Lamotragine saved my life. The depression was so debilitating Except when extreme physical and emotional agitation, mostly caused by meds. 20 years of this (misdiagnosed for most of it). I'm so grateful I didnt get the rash. I lost a little hair in the beginning, but it stopped. No weight gain, and able to (healthily) lose the 50lbs I gained with lithium. But, I do struggle with insomnia, melatonin doesn't work so well for me. I took 150mg for 1st yr. 300 for past 3 years, but agitation is getting bad-I need to lower my stress, (all that stuff we're supposed to do) and possibly go up to 350/400."

Head Above Water (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 18, 2016

"I take this for my bipolar 1 and anxiety disorder. It feels great to finally have my life back again. Zero side effects too. So happy. 200mg a day"

Miracle drug (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2016

"I love Lamictal (lamotrigine) it work just like zoloft but without the weight gain. It has reduced my depression dramatically. To me this one is a keeper."

eliasadc November 12, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I am very pleased with the results of taking Lamictal for my BP2. It definitely stabilized my moods. I felt better within weeks of starting this drug. I take a high dose (400 mg) without side effects. My irritability has been reduced and I no longer have to hide myself, as my depression has been lifted. I take Paxil for my anxiety issues. I recommend therapy to go along with the medication, as awareness can be an important part of treatment."

MissKZ28 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 11, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "This drug has given me my life back. I am now emotionally balanced, it has given me back the sparkle in my eye (says my wife), I can focus and I am dealing with things I was afraid to before due to BP anxiety. I was a complete MESS before lamictal, hardly able to take care of myself and had lost interest in all activities and v emotional depressed/antzy/angry despite being on lithium 1000, seroquel 100mg mirtazapine 25mg. On lamictal my brain just calmed the heck down. I feel normal, reasonable and have the energy and ability to DO things again. No side effects noticed on lamictal. Hope to stay on this drug for years to come. On a side note some BP groups on FB are really helpful and supportive and friendly. You are not alone with BP."

Doyourownresearch (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 3, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "I'm diagnosed with bipolar 2 and been on lamictal for several years. The Doc. Had me up to 150 mg it made me manic so my dose was to 50 mg i tolerated 50 mg the drug did nothing for OCD I only had minor depression before the drug. The doc thought that Lamictal would control my mania and OCD but it doesn't The small dose did take stop my eye twitch so I'm staying with it."

Irk November 1, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "so Lamictal takes a while to work...in my case it was about 6 months to reach is maximum effect.I am on 200 mg. if I go higher it is a total nightmare. be careful it depends on the person how much you can take. if you feel you are going more depressed go to the dose you were before and take clonazepan as needed but not everyday. lamictal affected my sleep I had to take ambien but after 6 months I started taking melatonin and it worked. I wanted to say that it is important is family support and when that is non existent then in my case, i grabbed a Bible and prayed a lot even until today. psalm 91 and Ephesians 6:10, also Psalm 23. it gets in a point when you have to fight your brain. doctors and medication helps until certain point."

Athalain (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 24, 2016