User Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Migraine Prevention

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal XR, Subvenite, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal CD

Lamotrigine has an average rating of 8.2 out of 10 from a total of 19 ratings for the treatment of Migraine Prevention. 74% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 16% reported a negative effect.

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

8.2/10 average rating

Compare all 59 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Lamotrigine

LaurieV July 20, 2019

“Update to my 2014 review. I have taken Lamotrigine for twelve years, and it works great for me to prevent Migraines. I take 100 mg. of Lamotrigine twice a day. I work full time, and I have not missed a single day of work due to a Migraine in twelve years! Over twelve years ago, I had between 25 to 31 Migraine days every single month. I am very thankful for Lamotrigine.”

LaurieV · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 18, 2014

“I take 3 x 25 mg tablets twice a day to prevent daily Migraines. I used to get between 25 to 31 Migraines every month before starting this medicine 6 1/2 years ago. Now I only get about one moderate Migraine every four to six weeks. ”

Rose December 21, 2019

“I’ve suffered from severe migraines with aura since 7th grade. Multiple per month. In my twenties I was given Relpax & other meds to help with the pain. I tried preventative meds, to no success. 7.5 years ago I began taking Lamictal, gradually increased to 200mg a day. I get the aura only a couple times a year now, and for much less time, but I no longer get the migraine pain. At all. Not once in 7.5 years! Lamictal changed my life!”

Cricket · Taken for 10 years or more October 9, 2019

“Lamotrigine changed my life. I suffered from severe migraine since I was a teenager, the majority of the time. This drug has entirely eliminated my migraine for about 10 years. The first medication I tried was topamax and I experienced a “trippy” feeling, as though I had been drugged. Next I tried Lamictal and developed a serious rash. My doctor somehow convinced me to try again, with a low dose of lamotrigine. I did not experience any side effects with lamictal and it helped tremendously. Over time my dose has increased to 100mg once per day, still a rather low dose. I’m amazed that after a lifetime of suffering with migraine, a low dose of lamotrigine, once a day, can have such a huge impact, it truly changed my life.”

Migraine2.0 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 20, 2020

“I had visual aura migraines about 7 times per month and about 11 painful migraine days a month. I tried several drugs for the migraines that had terrible side effects or didn’t really work. I started this drug about 2 months ago and have had no auras and migraine days are about 4 a month. Started out at 25 mg a day. I started having pain at the top of my head after a few weeks so reduced the dose to 12.5 mg. No pain at the top of my head and no auras and less migraine days.”

Kevin February 4, 2020

“I've suffered with chronic migraine on and off since my teens - perhaps as a result of a TBI suffered after taking a swan dive off a ladder when I was 12. A very severe period started about 25 years ago with daily pain levels of between 7-9 where a 7 is barely being able to keep my eyes open and a 9 means hours pacing hoping to throw up and finally being able get horizontal and get to sleep. After numerous experiments with anti-migraine meds, anti-depressants, supplements, diets, therapy, etc., I was referred to neurologist outside Philadelphia. the neurologist was working with psychiatrist and after working with the two of them we settled on Lamotrigine. I've been on it for several years now and we've settled on a sweet spot of 200 mg. While Lamotrigine has not completely eliminated my migraine it has made a tremendous difference. Thumbs up from here”

Samson08 · Taken for 10 years or more August 29, 2018

“I suffered from migraine with aura from age 10 upwards. As I reached my early 20s I was having 3 migraines per week, and lost my job due to time off work. The neurologist tried me on aspirin, amitriptyline and other drugs until he gave me lamictal, this drug completely changed my life. I take 150mg per day and haven’t had one migraine in 12 years! I luckily have had no side effects or problems with the drug. Two years ago the doctor started me on fluoxetine for depression, it lessened the effectiveness of the lamictal and I suffered a huge aura but no migraine And the doctor took me off fluoxetine immediately, thankfully sertraline was a better option along with lamictal.”

Long term success · Taken for 10 years or more October 14, 2017

“This med took about 2 years to take full effect. I have been taking 200mg for 12 years. I have to take in the morning, night dose makes it wear off too soon. (Increasing chance of migraines) Pros; I Went from weekly migraines (hemiplegic, cortical depression, pain) to 2-6 per year, now only Brought on by extreme stress and/or extreme wind. I unexpectedly became more easy going, I no longer sweat the small stuff. Cons; Lamictal has extreme and terrifying withdrawals, I can tell when I've missed a dose by vibrations in my teeth and face, and if longer than 48 hours I get extreme fear, headache, double vision, debilitating sadness, and super hypersensitive to sound. Less severe is hair loss, but so worth the life without severe migraines”

AbbieM · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 9, 2019

“After suffering with migraines all my life, trying all types of meds under the sun we finally landed on lamotrigine. This has changed my life. I used to have constant background headaches which affected my concentration and extremely debilitating migraines 2x a month I've now gone to having 2x migraine attacks over the past year that I've been on it and my background headaches are barely noticeable anymore. I am on a dose of 50mg a day but do take an extra 2 if I wake up and feel like I'm going to have a bad day with my headaches.”

Dmaximus June 30, 2017

“Have been taking this for other conditions. Spotty vision stopped completely and had zero migraines which were rather regular during treatment time. Stopped lamotrigine and migraines plus spotty vision returned.”

DorineC January 24, 2017

“I have hemiplegic migraine for 6 years now. I used to suffer from dizzyness and trouble walking normally (not a full migraine but bothering nontheless). Since I started using lamogine, I'm not dizzy, I have no problem walking and now I have only 0-2 migraines a month instead of 3 full migranes and the other problems almost all the time. Besides I don't have any side affects from the drug. Highly reccomended.”

AllSunnyDays August 31, 2016

“Lamotrigine improved my quality of life dramatically for the last 12 years. Before starting it I was getting about 4 migraines/week. Sometimes my migraines would last 5-6 days. After a month on lamotrigine 100 mg I noticed that I was less reactive to my migraine triggers such as fragrances, loud noises and flashing lights. I'd still get migraines but not as easily and not as frequently. We upped my dose to 200 mg and now I get much fewer migraines, more like 1/week, sometimes less. If you have trouble with glutamate as evidenced by MSG reactions (non-allergy type), or headaches from high glutamine foods, or as seen in SNPs of your genetic profile (now accessible through 23andme) you may find this med to be a game changer for you.”

Relieved and grateful September 15, 2015

“I had migraines 1-2 times each week. Likely this was stress headaches, but after a week of taking this for bi-polar I stopped having the headaches/migraines all together. This was a life changer with 2 benefits and no side effects.”

Pacobird · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 23, 2019

“After suffering from migraines for 35yrs and trying everything possible, including Botox and Verapamil/Cymbalta as prophylaxis I went up on my Lamictal to 250 2x daily. We actually increased the Lamictal to control my seizures, but I had the *very* pleasant surprise that it nearly eliminated my migraines. At that point, I was still suffering approximately 2 weeks/mo. I can't say enough about the drug, but contrary to the research, I won't give it up and would add another seizure medication if I got to the maximum dose and seizures were still occurring.”

makrokat · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 1, 2015

“For years I have been struggling with constant pressure headaches & sinus/ear problems. The closest way to describe it is imagine having a head cold 24/7. The constant pain has taken its toll on me and my mood. After years of trying all sorts of meds, my dr. finally prescribed Lamictal. It didn't work at first, but once the dose was increased I felt amazing. I was back to my old self: no more headache, earaches, brain fog or fatigue. We FINALLY found the right medication! Unfortunately, the med caused a painful rash all over the front of my upper torso & I had to stop it. If you get a rash look up D.R.E.S.S., many docs don't make the connection. It woke up the HHV6 rash from childhood & took 7 months to clear up even after stopping the med.”

Mirage · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 19, 2021

“I used lamotrigine for about a month, and it worked! It drastically decreased my migraines, and I felt like I got my life back. Then it gave me tinnitus! It’s been about 2 months, and my ear is still ringing.”

Katie167564768 November 16, 2015

“I've suffered with a constant severe headache for months. The medication didn't do much at 25mg or 50mg for me. I just went to 75mg recently. I see a little bit of improvement in the severity of my headache. I also found that I have more energy in the day. It hasn't done much yet, but once I get to 100mg I'm hoping it will help some more. fingers crossed..”

Rachel8293 · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2016

“Did not alleviate migraines at all, but did manage to both completely counteract my antidepressant and convince my body I was pregnant. Lactation, dysmenorrhea, morning sickness, the whole 9 yards. The best thing I can say about it is it helped my intractable hiccups about 5%, which is more than anything else has. All in all, bad experience.”

Maureen · Taken for less than 1 month September 25, 2021

“I have only just increased my dose of lamotrigine to 75mg per day after 3 weeks going up to 100mg next week. However in the last 2 weeks I’ve suffered daily headaches. I take my prescribed triptans which clear the headache for a few hours then back it comes. I would love to know if anyone else has experienced more headaches than before when they started on this drug. It is really getting me down and I don’t know whether I should stop taking it or persevere?”