User Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal XR, Subvenite, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal CD

Lamotrigine has an average rating of 8.9 out of 10 from a total of 38 ratings for the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. 89% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 8% reported a negative effect.

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

8.9/10 average rating

Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine

Beemzo April 30, 2020

“I have been taking Lamotrigine for over 6 months. I am now at 150 mg. At 100mg or less if was a bit sedating so I took it at night. After reaching 150mg, I got some pretty bad insomnia so I take it in the mornings now. May need a sleeping pill because benzos aren't helping the insomnia. Before taking lamictal, I've been on over 20 medications for PTSD. Every single one made symptoms of anger, PTSD, depersonalization, and bipolar much worse. With Lamictal, it just doesn't do that. It helps instead of hurts. I used to be too afraid to leave my room to pee. Now I went to a job interview yesterday. I spent 2 years not leaving my house, not eating, not living. I was ready to give up on ever healing. Lamictal hasn't fixed everything for me. No medication can do that. It takes a lot of trial and error, a whole lot of self work, but without Lamictal I don't think I would have even started making changes in my life.”

Lavacy20 · Taken for less than 1 month April 16, 2020

“I have been taking lamotrigene for a week now. I'm only at 50mg as of now. I have bipolar, severe derealization and depersonalization from PTSD. I can tell that things (physical things) are becoming more real. Items are slowly more 3D rather than 2D. My brain has removed the part of reality that allows me to feel a part of life as a coping mechanism for my safety. Whatever this drug is doing I am grateful for it because I believe before this my life was a nightmare. Not being able to connect that reality is physically real. I can feel it quieting my intrusive ruminating thoughts which is amazing. In the shower the other day I heard, for the first time, quiet except for the water running and I broke down crying because I never realized how truly loud my thoughts were. I still have a ways to go but I do also feel it evening out my moods. I'm not as angry and easily triggered.”

Jerrard · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 1, 2019

“I had PTSD and resistant depression and anxiety for 12 years (after tough military service) and now it's gone thanks to Lamotrigine. Here is a list of all the medications that I've tried before: Celexa Lexapro Effexor (Viepax) Remeron Bonserin (Mianserin) Gabapentin Geodon Abilify (Aripiprazole) Propranolol I couldn't control my thoughts, my mind was spinning with bad scenarios and anger attacks. I suffered many physical symptoms like prostatitis and many other things. This medicine saved my life”

Jenn_N April 29, 2015

“I have PTSD from being emotionally, verbally &sexually abused growing up.(molested as a child & assaulted several different times as a teen) At 19 my fiancé was shot and killed. This pushed me over the edge &I almost died a few times (overdoses/ suicide attempt & car accident). I finally decided to go to an inpatient program and was put on lamictal. The medicine, therapy & faith has made me a totallynew person. I've been clean for 3 years now, in college & raising my beautiful girl. Im happy & my life is full. I tried SO many medications & lamictal has helped tremendously. I was able to get off of clonazepam and Zoloft under my doctor's care. I still have sad days and bad dreams but I don't get stuck in it and regress.”

Pumpkin · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2019

“I have suffered for more than 20 yrs with one diagnosis or another mainly bi polar and depression. I've had racing thoughts for many years and in the past few years I had difficulty remembering things. I told the doctor it was during times of stress. I have a very stressful job. I have past traumas and ask if he thought I had PTSD. He disregard what I said and said I have a lot of anxiety and put me on anti anxiety meds. I have been on every med for past twenty five years and suffered through it all. I was taking lithium, seroquel and an anti depressant for past ten years until the doctor finally suggest lamictal. I have taken 25mg for about 2 weeks and feel great no more racing thoughts, I can make decision, don't feel confused and can remember things. My thinking is so much more clear I feel sad I suffered so long. This medicine needs to be labeled for PTSD. Best wishes everyone.”

Thriver March 28, 2015

“I had post traumatic stress disorder from childhood physical and emotional abuse. What a life saver this has been! After about three months of ever increasing dosage, I finally began to "come out of my spider hole." I quit drinking. I felt like Alice in Wonderland with her head breaking through the clouds. I also felt like my brain was slowly being rewired, smoothing over rutted neural pathways and creating new, calmer ones. it has been seven years now and I am up to 300 mg a day. Most importantly, I can FORGET the past abuse and feel happier than I have ever felt before.”

TXTulip · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 17, 2020

“I have C-PTSD after 23 years of Narcissist Abuse including lots of Gaslighting. I started at 50 mg and I'm now up to 100 mg. It has helped with rumination and intrusive thoughts. They are not completely gone, but less. I experience a surge of anxious energy after taking it. Then that goes away and I have no other side effects.”

Snow412777 June 12, 2014

“I've had severe symptoms of PTSD for years. My mind/body disconnect, along with feeling very unsafe most of the time was a huge problem in my life. I became afraid to go out. I was afraid of people. I was placed on lamotrigine and was tritiated slowly to avoid the rash. I got to the 100mg mark and I feel like a new person. My fear had dimmed significantly and my mind actually listens when I go through the CBT steps to reduce anxiety. I could not be more grateful. It makes life less about suffering and more about living.”

CombatVetD · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 1, 2017

“Was untreated for bipolar 2 disorder until age 30. Diagnosed with chronic PTSD after service. Vets. Request this from the VA. I've tried it all, and this is the only one that works for me. You wanna feel joy again? See things in a positive perspective? Realize how jacked up PTSD effects your judgement? Brothers and Sisters, this is your light. Saved my life. Thank you thank you.”

Game Changer · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2022

“I have been on Lamotrigine for a month now, titrated up to 100mg. Even with 25mg I could start to notice some effect. I think it was not quite the therapeutic dose and still had my issues related to PTSD like anger, rumination, disassociation. With 100mg it’s really starting to be noticeable. My coping techniques in therapy seem possible for once. Before they felt like a lost cause because if I was fully triggered everything would go out the door. Now I can really reel it in. I have a lot more space in my brain to process my traumas. I’m ok with feeling my emotions because I’m not so disassociated or triggered. It seemed to break my coping via alcohol. I stopped isolating. This really should be considered a first line medication for PTSD. I had to take 8 or 9 different medications to get here. But this one feels like the winner. It’s markedly different than anything I’ve taken. Added benefit: ZERO side effects!”

kimmur · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 8, 2013

Lamictal (lamotrigine): “Been on Lamictal for about 5 yrs after many yrs of antidepressants and anxiety medicines. About 6 yrs ago after a very traumatic experience with losing my boys and husband nothing worked anymore, I started having stress induced seizures, some very serious! They put me on Lamictal and my periods of mania and mind racing slowly stopped, my restless legs syndrome went away. I actually started to feel and not be a robot. Side effects for me are drowsiness and slight weight gain (8 lbs), I'd gain any amount to feel normal. One VERY important fact to remember is dosage! Everyone has different amounts that work, and don't ever skip or adjust dosage on your own! I did it and paid the price. Hope this helps! I feel grateful to my doc for prescribing.”

Anonymous December 21, 2018

“Depending on the doctor, I have PTSD, delusional disorder, bi-polar, depression, anxiety, OCD. This drug brightens my outlook immensely. It gives me energy and stops food cravings. I have experienced no side effects at all. I took it for about a year (10 months at 200mg). I got jaded, because I still felt like I was not 100% cured. I tried some other drugs and quit lamotrigine, being leery of long term toxicity of drugs in general. After a year, I got to such a depressive state that I tried it again. I've been on it for one week at 50mg, and it's like magic. Not only is it having all the same positive effects as before, it took away chronic leg pain that I had for several months due to muscle pulls that never healed right. Unbelievable! This time around I won't forget how much this med changes my life.”

Karmicirl · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2014

“I've been on Clonazepam since March 2014 after being violently attacked. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, is a new experience for me & I am so ready to get off the ride. Anyhow, I have issues going to public/crowded places & pretty much grocery shop at night to avoid people. I've gone from spontaneous extrovert to complete in-hiding introvert. I started Lamotrigine 3wks ago, after 2wks they upped dosage to 2 pills in the a.m. from 1 (25mg). Within a few days, I started noticing I'm not needing to smoke as much (Ironically, non smoker until my attack). I'm not feeling as anxious/on edge, moody as I have been since the attack in Feb. I think this stuff is awesome. I'm hoping that it will help me get my life back. I've had no negative side affects.”

Lillypilly12345 November 12, 2016

“Have been on lamitrogine for only about 2 weeks for PTSD, anxiety and bipolar. I take the credit for suggesting it to my doctor...he gets credit for agreeing to prescribe. I actually feel almost 'normal' for the first time since my first major traumatic experience 28 years ago. My flight/freeze response seems to have just quietly gone away...that's how it feels. I really thought that nothing could ever make this automated-response with fearful flashbacks go away. It has. Nothing else ever worked for me, and my doctors notes record a 'paradoxical effect' of almost every other drug....and I've tried most of them! This drug is my lifesaver. No side effects at all!”

Eli · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2019

“It is a very good medication. I can tell you I have been on it only two weeks at 25 and my PTSD and racing thoughts have calmed down. I am so scared of medicine it took me 3 weeks to even try it. I am a very honest person too I never ever posted about medicine, but had to on this one. One thing I am not sure if it is lamictal making break out or recent stressful events but I have got 3 pimples.”

PTSD Manageable Now · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 29, 2015

“It was my life saver drug. I have PTSD as bad as a war veteran they diagnosed. I take 300 mg a day and the flight reflex is greatly reduced. I am not always on fight mode now. I have been taking it for 9 years and am not willing to try anything else at this time. I can function in the world today.”

PolyAngie · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2016

“I have post-traumatic stress disorder and bipolar 2. I've tried nearly every drug on the market for depression, post-traumatic stress and bipolar disorder and had less than successful results including worsening of depression and suicidal ideation. I've only been on this medication for a little over a week and I've already noticed a change. I sleep better, I have less obsessive thoughts, the irritability has decreased , and I'm happier in general. I've had no side effects that I'm aware of which is very rare for me as I have a tendency to react to medications negatively. So grateful as I have been unable to get quality sleep for about 3 years now, and my anxiety and PTSD has made it hard for me to leave the house and be involved in life”

Anonymous October 1, 2020

“Been on lamotrigine 25mg for a week now no side effects as of yet! Hopefully it will stay that way! I have eupd (Emotionally unstable personality disorder) and complex PTSD. My mood has been good and no really bad depression days but it's only early days hopefully it works”

DPDR guy · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2016

“Traded this from Zyprexa and been on it for a week, I gotta say, wow! This is a life-saver, been on 300mg, I feel so much better and not as drugged/sleepy as Zyprexa. This medication has greatly reduced my PTSD symptoms, especially the foght or flight mode. I also had depersonalization/derealization and that is almost completely gone! Can't say enough good things about this med. It's a keeper.”

OCD March 6, 2021

“I've been taking Lamictal for two months to stabilize my moods, for OCD and PTSD. I started at 25mg and increased every two weeks to 100mg. Four hours after taking my first dose, I itched (no rash) so I took a Benadryl. The itching left and never returned. I was sleepy the first week so I took Lamotrigine at bedtime. After the first week, I switched back to mornings. A few days after my first dose I felt calm, not moody. After a week at each dose I felt the need to increase because I could feel my moodiness returning. I am throwing out things that remind me of traumatic events. I'll need to increase past 100mg to get more relief from my depression. No sexual side effects; no rash; no effect on my menstrual cycle; mild nausea that doesn't last all day; mild decrease in appetite; have lost a few pounds; thoughts that trigger my OCD are still there but but I can see when I am about to engage in an OCD ritual; rage is better; no explosive outbursts in several weeks.”

Sara July 29, 2019

“Lamotrigine immediately took away my hypervigilance and ruminations at the smallest dose of 25mg. Unfortunately many psychiatrists are not willing to maintain such a small dose as it is technically a pediatric dose; not therapeutic for adults. As my dose was titrated up, the side effects began. At 50mg my vision became blurry, my passion for life stunted, with a constant runny nose and sore throat. At 75mg I experienced severe depression, cycling through mania. It felt as if my body was in autopilot, and I was along for the ride. It was as if I was merely observing my instability and could not control it even if I tried. I went back down to 50mg and have been on it for 2 months. My hypervigilance is still under control but this is because my constant emotional arousal has been replaced by soul shattering apathy. This medication is very effective, just not for me due to the side effects.”

Mouseoutofthehouse May 10, 2017

“It took 5 years of chronic pain, flashbacks galore, nightmares, loss of friends and family relations, loss of a lot now that I think about it. I read a post from someone that had similar experiences with losing their left arm due to PTSD, constant shaking, spasms, and asked my psychiatrist to prescribe lamictal. I HAVE MY ARM BACK AND CAN DRIVE AGAIN! My mood has been much better, and I see the world as an opportunity, rather than a reason to stay in bed. I highly recommend this medicine for others that have seeked out many other things, and had little results. I started on 25 mgs, and I'm now comfortable (no side effects other than feeling a little numb at first emotionally).”

orangetoday · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 4, 2018

“I've been on Lamictal for about two months now, slowly titrating up from 50 mg to 100 mg (with plans to increase soon), and I've already noticed such a huge difference in my mood and my increasing ability to not dwell on traumatic thoughts. My mental health was already not great before my assault two years ago, and ever since then I've felt like all of my hard work up to that point had been erased. Since then, I've cycled through pretty much every SSRI available and have never felt a noticeably positive difference. Thankfully, my doctor was more than open to my idea to switch to a mood stabilizer and prescribed Lamictal. Before this I felt like I was constantly reliving my trauma, and that mostly manifested as extreme anger and irritation largely directed at those closest to me. I still get irritated and overemotional sometimes, but it is not nearly as devastating. I'm hoping future dosage increases will help even more.”

Struggled · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 8, 2018

“My PTSD was triggered almost 15 years my loss. My moods went from positive, happy and able to cope with life to the extreme opposite. I didn’t like who I'd become or know what to do. After getting in to the doctor he immediately confirmed what my primary care suspected - I had PTSD. He discussed using Lamotigine and steadily increasing the dose over the next year to reduce the anger, anxiety and hopelessness that had come over me. Its been almost 2 years and while I've struggled at times, taking Lamotrigine made living possible. I no longer am so quick to anger, anxious or worn down. My sleep patterns have also improved.”

jdoz · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2015

“I've been on lamotrigine for complex ptsd for just under 3 weeks. The first two weeks I was on 50 mg now I'm on 100mg...seems to be doing its job. I did have a very slight hive like rash first day both when I started and when I raised my dose but the passed in about ten minutes. The main thing I has noticed is the racing and looping thought patterns have greatly reduced. I also have a slight hyper activity but I just put that down to my natural self. All in all I'm glad I finally took a medication as in the past it was anti depressants and anti anxiety drugs which didn't help me at all.”

Learn more about Post Traumatic Stress Disorder