User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

9.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

"Was untreated for bipolar 2 disorder until age 30. Diagnosed with chronic PTSD after service. Vets. Request this from the VA. I've tried it all, and this is the only one that works for me. You wanna feel joy again? See things in a positive perspective? Realize how jacked up PTSD effects your judgement? Brothers and Sisters, this is your light. Saved my life. Thank you thank you."

CombatVetD (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Best things stabilize my mood."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It took 5 years of chronic pain, flashbacks galore, nightmares, loss of friends and family relations, loss of a lot now that I think about it. I read a post from someone that had similar experiences with losing their left arm due to PTSD, constant shaking, spasms, and asked my psychiatrist to prescribe lamictal. I HAVE MY ARM BACK AND CAN DRIVE AGAIN! My mood has been much better, and I see the world as an opportunity, rather than a reason to stay in bed. I highly recommend this medicine for others that have seeked out many other things, and had little results. I started on 25 mgs, and I'm now comfortable (no side effects other than feeling a little numb at first emotionally)."

Mouseoutofthehouse May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have been on lamitrogine for only about 2 weeks for PTSD, anxiety and bipolar. I take the credit for suggesting it to my doctor...he gets credit for agreeing to prescribe. I actually feel almost 'normal' for the first time since my first major traumatic experience 28 years ago. My flight/freeze response seems to have just quietly gone away...that's how it feels. I really thought that nothing could ever make this automated-response with fearful flashbacks go away. It has. Nothing else ever worked for me, and my doctors notes record a 'paradoxical effect' of almost every other drug....and I've tried most of them! This drug is my lifesaver. No side effects at all!"

Lillypilly12345 November 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have post-traumatic stress disorder and bipolar 2. I've tried nearly every drug on the market for depression, post-traumatic stress and bipolar disorder and had less than successful results including worsening of depression and suicidal ideation. I've only been on this medication for a little over a week and I've already noticed a change. I sleep better, I have less obsessive thoughts, the irritability has decreased , and I'm happier in general. I've had no side effects that I'm aware of which is very rare for me as I have a tendency to react to medications negatively. So grateful as I have been unable to get quality sleep for about 3 years now, and my anxiety and PTSD has made it hard for me to leave the house and be involved in life"

PolyAngie (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Traded this from Zyprexa and been on it for a week, I gotta say, wow! This is a life-saver, been on 300mg, I feel so much better and not as drugged/sleepy as Zyprexa. This medication has greatly reduced my PTSD symptoms, especially the foght or flight mode. I also had depersonalization/derealization and that is almost completely gone! Can't say enough good things about this med. It's a keeper."

DPDR guy (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2016

"Saved my life"

Anonzi77 June 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It was my life saver drug. I have PTSD as bad as a war veteran they diagnosed. I take 300 mg a day and the flight reflex is greatly reduced. I am not always on fight mode now. I have been taking it for 9 years and am not willing to try anything else at this time. I can function in the world today."

PTSD Manageable Now (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 29, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on lamotrigine for complex ptsd for just under 3 weeks. The first two weeks I was on 50 mg now I'm on 100mg...seems to be doing its job. I did have a very slight hive like rash first day both when I started and when I raised my dose but the passed in about ten minutes. The main thing I has noticed is the racing and looping thought patterns have greatly reduced. I also have a slight hyper activity but I just put that down to my natural self. All in all I'm glad I finally took a medication as in the past it was anti depressants and anti anxiety drugs which didn't help me at all."

jdoz (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on lamactil for a month. I keep losing my temper. Wife moved out a month ago too. She got tired of my anger. I yell at people over stupid shit that they had nothing to do with. I'm losing faith and hope quickly."

mtcoyne (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken this for 5 days and its not working"

Susan Jeanne June 30, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have PTSD from being emotionally, verbally &sexually abused growing up.(molested as a child & assaulted several different times as a teen) At 19 my fiancé was shot and killed. This pushed me over the edge &I almost died a few times (overdoses/ suicide attempt & car accident). I finally decided to go to an inpatient program and was put on lamictal. The medicine, therapy & faith has made me a totallynew person. I've been clean for 3 years now, in college & raising my beautiful girl. Im happy & my life is full. I tried SO many medications & lamictal has helped tremendously. I was able to get off of clonazepam and Zoloft under my doctor's care. I still have sad days and bad dreams but I don't get stuck in it and regress."

Jenn_N April 29, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had post traumatic stress disorder from childhood physical and emotional abuse. What a life saver this has been! After about three months of ever increasing dosage, I finally began to "come out of my spider hole." I quit drinking. I felt like Alice in Wonderland with her head breaking through the clouds. I also felt like my brain was slowly being rewired, smoothing over rutted neural pathways and creating new, calmer ones. it has been seven years now and I am up to 300 mg a day. Most importantly, I can FORGET the past abuse and feel happier than I have ever felt before."

Thriver March 28, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Clonazepam since March 2014 after being violently attacked. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, is a new experience for me & I am so ready to get off the ride. Anyhow, I have issues going to public/crowded places & pretty much grocery shop at night to avoid people. I've gone from spontaneous extrovert to complete in-hiding introvert. I started Lamotrigine 3wks ago, after 2wks they upped dosage to 2 pills in the a.m. from 1 (25mg). Within a few days, I started noticing I'm not needing to smoke as much (Ironically, non smoker until my attack). I'm not feeling as anxious/on edge, moody as I have been since the attack in Feb. I think this stuff is awesome. I'm hoping that it will help me get my life back. I've had no negative side affects."

Karmicirl (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had severe symptoms of PTSD for years. My mind/body disconnect, along with feeling very unsafe most of the time was a huge problem in my life. I became afraid to go out. I was afraid of people. I was placed on lamotrigine and was tritiated slowly to avoid the rash. I got to the 100mg mark and I feel like a new person. My fear had dimmed significantly and my mind actually listens when I go through the CBT steps to reduce anxiety. I could not be more grateful. It makes life less about suffering and more about living."

Snow412777 June 12, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been taking for five days (post traumatic stress disorder and Bipolar). I am really surprised by it, I have virtually no anxiety at all! Only 25mg this week. Taking Mitrazapine as well. Apart from insomnia there are no side effects. "

TheCircus September 16, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First dose 25mg, first day, have not felt this good for 15 years. Absolutely amazing effect on mood, energy level and pain. Thank you to my very smart doctor."

Kalc May 23, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Lamictal (lamotrigine): "Been on Lamictal for about 5 yrs after many yrs of antidepressants and anxiety medicines. About 6 yrs ago after a very traumatic experience with losing my boys and husband nothing worked anymore, I started having stress induced seizures, some very serious! They put me on Lamictal and my periods of mania and mind racing slowly stopped, my restless legs syndrome went away. I actually started to feel and not be a robot. Side effects for me are drowsiness and slight weight gain (8 lbs), I'd gain any amount to feel normal. One VERY important fact to remember is dosage! Everyone has different amounts that work, and don't ever skip or adjust dosage on your own! I did it and paid the price. Hope this helps! I feel grateful to my doc for prescribing."

kimmur (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 8, 2013