User Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal XR, Lamictal CD, Subvenite, Lamictal ODT

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine

TXTulip · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 17, 2020

“I have C-PTSD after 23 years of Narcissist Abuse including lots of Gaslighting. I started at 50 mg and I'm now up to 100 mg. It has helped with rumination and intrusive thoughts. They are not completely gone, but less. I experience a surge of anxious energy after taking it. Then that goes away and I have no other side effects.”

Beemzo April 30, 2020

“I have been taking Lamotrigine for over 6 months. I am now at 150 mg. At 100mg or less if was a bit sedating so I took it at night. After reaching 150mg, I got some pretty bad insomnia so I take it in the mornings now. May need a sleeping pill because benzos aren't helping the insomnia. Before taking lamictal, I've been on over 20 medications for PTSD. Every single one made symptoms of anger, PTSD, depersonalization, and bipolar much worse. With Lamictal, it just doesn't do that. It helps instead of hurts. I used to be too afraid to leave my room to pee. Now I went to a job interview yesterday. I spent 2 years not leaving my house, not eating, not living. I was ready to give up on ever healing. Lamictal hasn't fixed everything for me. No medication can do that. It takes a lot of trial and error, a whole lot of self work, but without Lamictal I don't think I would have even started making changes in my life.”

Lavacy20 · Taken for less than 1 month April 16, 2020

“I have been taking lamotrigene for a week now. I'm only at 50mg as of now. I have bipolar, severe derealization and depersonalization from PTSD. I can tell that things (physical things) are becoming more real. Items are slowly more 3D rather than 2D. My brain has removed the part of reality that allows me to feel a part of life as a coping mechanism for my safety. Whatever this drug is doing I am grateful for it because I believe before this my life was a nightmare. Not being able to connect that reality is physically real. I can feel it quieting my intrusive ruminating thoughts which is amazing. In the shower the other day I heard, for the first time, quiet except for the water running and I broke down crying because I never realized how truly loud my thoughts were. I still have a ways to go but I do also feel it evening out my moods. I'm not as angry and easily triggered.”

naibaf · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2020

“I have C-PTSD, depression, anxiety, depersonalization/derealization, and my fettle is constantly worsening over the past two years. As you can imagine I've already tried numerous drugs with mostly pretty bad side effects and no benefits at all. So I was really hopeful that this time it would be different, also because it apparently helped so many others with various conditions. But again I was disappointed. I started with 25mg lamotrigine and went up to 300mg and still it did nothing. In the beginning I didn't have any side effects either. Lately I have nausea, headaches, dizziness, muscle pain and another weird thing always when I close my eyes I see bright colors. But I think all these things are rather because of my ongoing deteriorating health situation than because of this drug. I wish you more luck!”

S791 · Taken for less than 1 month December 14, 2019

“After 2 or 3 days on lamotrigene I began experiencing the worst abdominal pain ever! Day 4 I began vomiting blood. Took many months for the stomach ulcers to heal. Almost a year later I still am prone to gastritis.”

Bubbles · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2019

“I have been taking lamotrigine for two weeks now (PTSD) and my psychiatrist wants me to up it every week until I hit 100 mg. I’m on week 2 at 50 mg and I feel much calmer. My anxiety is a bit higher and I tend to overthink about small situations, my vision is a bit more blurry (which sucks cuz I’m already blind as a bat lol!) and my balance and coordination is off. But overall I’m in a better mood, no panic attacks, no flashbacks or negative feelings. I’m much more patient with my kids and I actually want to do more with them now than I have before. I recommend this medication to others to try for PTSD or any other reason they have it available for. I can’t wait to see how I feel on 100 mg and once these side effects calm down, if they ever do. In the end the side effects are worth the outcome of the medication”

Sara July 29, 2019

“Lamotrigine immediately took away my hypervigilance and ruminations at the smallest dose of 25mg. Unfortunately many psychiatrists are not willing to maintain such a small dose as it is technically a pediatric dose; not therapeutic for adults. As my dose was titrated up, the side effects began. At 50mg my vision became blurry, my passion for life stunted, with a constant runny nose and sore throat. At 75mg I experienced severe depression, cycling through mania. It felt as if my body was in autopilot, and I was along for the ride. It was as if I was merely observing my instability and could not control it even if I tried. I went back down to 50mg and have been on it for 2 months. My hypervigilance is still under control but this is because my constant emotional arousal has been replaced by soul shattering apathy. This medication is very effective, just not for me due to the side effects.”

Pumpkin · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2019

“I have suffered for more than 20 yrs with one diagnosis or another mainly bi polar and depression. I've had racing thoughts for many years and in the past few years I had difficulty remembering things. I told the doctor it was during times of stress. I have a very stressful job. I have past traumas and ask if he thought I had PTSD. He disregard what I said and said I have a lot of anxiety and put me on anti anxiety meds. I have been on every med for past twenty five years and suffered through it all. I was taking lithium, seroquel and an anti depressant for past ten years until the doctor finally suggest lamictal. I have taken 25mg for about 2 weeks and feel great no more racing thoughts, I can make decision, don't feel confused and can remember things. My thinking is so much more clear I feel sad I suffered so long. This medicine needs to be labeled for PTSD. Best wishes everyone.”

Eli · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2019

“It is a very good medication. I can tell you I have been on it only two weeks at 25 and my PTSD and racing thoughts have calmed down. I am so scared of medicine it took me 3 weeks to even try it. I am a very honest person too I never ever posted about medicine, but had to on this one. One thing I am not sure if it is lamictal making break out or recent stressful events but I have got 3 pimples.”

Jerrard · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 1, 2019

“I had PTSD and resistant depression and anxiety for 12 years (after tough military service) and now it's gone thanks to Lamotrigine. Here is a list of all the medications that I've tried before: Celexa Lexapro Effexor (Viepax) Remeron Bonserin (Mianserin) Gabapentin Geodon Abilify (Aripiprazole) Propranolol I couldn't control my thoughts, my mind was spinning with bad scenarios and anger attacks. I suffered many physical symptoms like prostatitis and many other things. This medicine saved my life”

Gwaredd Thomas · Taken for 10 years or more December 21, 2018

“For months I haven't been able to sleep, mind racing and unable to control my thoughts. As it turns out, I was supposed to be taking 300 mg per day and I was only taking 100 mg. My wife sets up my meds since she tosses a lot of vitimans in along with my other meds: Lexapro, Klonopin, etc. so I never checked. I finally looked at the bottle and holy cow I wasn't taking enough. So, I went back up to 300 mg and what a difference. My only side effects and yawning and sleepiness but a couple of cups of coffee knocks out. Finally, I can sleep and can get some things done around the place instead of sitting about staring at the four walls. Thus, I would give this med a high recommendation. Granted, not everyone, can handle this med without some awful reactions but I've always tolerated meds quite well. So, choose you poison carefully. ;)”

Anonymous December 21, 2018

“Depending on the doctor, I have PTSD, delusional disorder, bi-polar, depression, anxiety, OCD. This drug brightens my outlook immensely. It gives me energy and stops food cravings. I have experienced no side effects at all. I took it for about a year (10 months at 200mg). I got jaded, because I still felt like I was not 100% cured. I tried some other drugs and quit lamotrigine, being leery of long term toxicity of drugs in general. After a year, I got to such a depressive state that I tried it again. I've been on it for one week at 50mg, and it's like magic. Not only is it having all the same positive effects as before, it took away chronic leg pain that I had for several months due to muscle pulls that never healed right. Unbelievable! This time around I won't forget how much this med changes my life.”

Struggled · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 8, 2018

“My PTSD was triggered almost 15 years my loss. My moods went from positive, happy and able to cope with life to the extreme opposite. I didn’t like who I'd become or know what to do. After getting in to the doctor he immediately confirmed what my primary care suspected - I had PTSD. He discussed using Lamotigine and steadily increasing the dose over the next year to reduce the anger, anxiety and hopelessness that had come over me. Its been almost 2 years and while I've struggled at times, taking Lamotrigine made living possible. I no longer am so quick to anger, anxious or worn down. My sleep patterns have also improved.”

R. M. · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 29, 2018

“Lamotrigine was prescribed to me in combination with an SSRI for unipolar depression. I am also diagnosed with Post traumatic Stress Disorder. I have noticed Lamotrigine helped tremendously with my symptoms of hypervigilance, which are much less severe today. It also helps me with depressive episodes. I rarely fall into depressive states where I can not function, and when I do, they are much shorter than they used to last. Sadly I haven't seen any improvement in avoidance symptoms, but I didn't expect it to help this symptom of PTSD in the first place. It might also be important to note that I don't have a history of manic symptoms.”

orangetoday · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 4, 2018

“I've been on Lamictal for about two months now, slowly titrating up from 50 mg to 100 mg (with plans to increase soon), and I've already noticed such a huge difference in my mood and my increasing ability to not dwell on traumatic thoughts. My mental health was already not great before my assault two years ago, and ever since then I've felt like all of my hard work up to that point had been erased. Since then, I've cycled through pretty much every SSRI available and have never felt a noticeably positive difference. Thankfully, my doctor was more than open to my idea to switch to a mood stabilizer and prescribed Lamictal. Before this I felt like I was constantly reliving my trauma, and that mostly manifested as extreme anger and irritation largely directed at those closest to me. I still get irritated and overemotional sometimes, but it is not nearly as devastating. I'm hoping future dosage increases will help even more.”

CombatVetD · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 1, 2017

“Was untreated for bipolar 2 disorder until age 30. Diagnosed with chronic PTSD after service. Vets. Request this from the VA. I've tried it all, and this is the only one that works for me. You wanna feel joy again? See things in a positive perspective? Realize how jacked up PTSD effects your judgement? Brothers and Sisters, this is your light. Saved my life. Thank you thank you.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 24, 2017

“Best things stabilize my mood.”

Mouseoutofthehouse May 10, 2017

“It took 5 years of chronic pain, flashbacks galore, nightmares, loss of friends and family relations, loss of a lot now that I think about it. I read a post from someone that had similar experiences with losing their left arm due to PTSD, constant shaking, spasms, and asked my psychiatrist to prescribe lamictal. I HAVE MY ARM BACK AND CAN DRIVE AGAIN! My mood has been much better, and I see the world as an opportunity, rather than a reason to stay in bed. I highly recommend this medicine for others that have seeked out many other things, and had little results. I started on 25 mgs, and I'm now comfortable (no side effects other than feeling a little numb at first emotionally).”

Lillypilly12345 November 12, 2016

“Have been on lamitrogine for only about 2 weeks for PTSD, anxiety and bipolar. I take the credit for suggesting it to my doctor...he gets credit for agreeing to prescribe. I actually feel almost 'normal' for the first time since my first major traumatic experience 28 years ago. My flight/freeze response seems to have just quietly gone away...that's how it feels. I really thought that nothing could ever make this automated-response with fearful flashbacks go away. It has. Nothing else ever worked for me, and my doctors notes record a 'paradoxical effect' of almost every other drug....and I've tried most of them! This drug is my lifesaver. No side effects at all!”

PolyAngie · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2016

“I have post-traumatic stress disorder and bipolar 2. I've tried nearly every drug on the market for depression, post-traumatic stress and bipolar disorder and had less than successful results including worsening of depression and suicidal ideation. I've only been on this medication for a little over a week and I've already noticed a change. I sleep better, I have less obsessive thoughts, the irritability has decreased , and I'm happier in general. I've had no side effects that I'm aware of which is very rare for me as I have a tendency to react to medications negatively. So grateful as I have been unable to get quality sleep for about 3 years now, and my anxiety and PTSD has made it hard for me to leave the house and be involved in life”

DPDR guy · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2016

“Traded this from Zyprexa and been on it for a week, I gotta say, wow! This is a life-saver, been on 300mg, I feel so much better and not as drugged/sleepy as Zyprexa. This medication has greatly reduced my PTSD symptoms, especially the foght or flight mode. I also had depersonalization/derealization and that is almost completely gone! Can't say enough good things about this med. It's a keeper.”

Anonzi77 June 12, 2016

“Saved my life”

PTSD Manageable Now · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 29, 2015

“It was my life saver drug. I have PTSD as bad as a war veteran they diagnosed. I take 300 mg a day and the flight reflex is greatly reduced. I am not always on fight mode now. I have been taking it for 9 years and am not willing to try anything else at this time. I can function in the world today.”

jdoz · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2015

“I've been on lamotrigine for complex ptsd for just under 3 weeks. The first two weeks I was on 50 mg now I'm on 100mg...seems to be doing its job. I did have a very slight hive like rash first day both when I started and when I raised my dose but the passed in about ten minutes. The main thing I has noticed is the racing and looping thought patterns have greatly reduced. I also have a slight hyper activity but I just put that down to my natural self. All in all I'm glad I finally took a medication as in the past it was anti depressants and anti anxiety drugs which didn't help me at all.”

mtcoyne · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 25, 2015

“I've been on lamactil for a month. I keep losing my temper. Wife moved out a month ago too. She got tired of my anger. I yell at people over stupid shit that they had nothing to do with. I'm losing faith and hope quickly.”

Learn more about Post Traumatic Stress Disorder