User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Depression

"I have had depression my entire life, and Lamictal started working for me within a month, or so. This medication hasn't solved all my issues, but has made my depression manageable. I still have to make sure I'm getting regular exercise, eating well, getting enough sleep, spending time in the mountains and in the sun, and showering regularly; if I don't, I will cycle back into a depressive episode. I know this is probably common for the general population, but I wanted to make it clear that before, those activities wouldn't curb my depression in any way. I give this 9/10 as it has caused my eye sight to decline, have noticed some gum recession, some sexual side effects, as well as some hair loss (supplementing with selenium has helped)."

ClaireBear4 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug is a live saver. Has me back to feeling like myself."

bthomasdickinson (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After reading so many positive reviews on this site, I decided to try Lamotrigine. I found it to be the most effective long-term drug for depression and mood stability. Having tried antidepressants and most mood stabilizers, this was the best drug for me. It does not make me tired or drugged up - just substantially reduces depression. Reduces overall depression, SI, obsessions and anxiety. Slowly went to 200mg/day as I couldn't feel much difference at 100. I had to switch to the brand name as generic was giving me stomach problems. Otherwise no side effects."

Canada345 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 19, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Made my depression and anxiety worse, which I wasn't expecting as this drug seems so well tolerated by others. My maximum dose was 50mg bd (50mg twice daily). I just wanted to make people aware that this can happen. On the plus side, it did get rid of my visual migraines."

ifyouneed (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi,my 12 yr old daughter has been having huge episodes lasting up to 1hr 45 min . (how we describe it) for about 8 mths now. She's been having hallucinations, and trying to self harm. We have had many tests done like MRI, lumber punch; many blood tests and electroencephalogram (EEG) and its not epilepsy. Everything has come back good medically. We have tried a few medications such as risperidone and olanzapine which hasn't worked. She is also on one tablet a day of Lovan (antidepressant ). Four days ago she was put on Lamical 25mg in morning. The plan is to up this weekly for 4 weeks til we at 100mg . Since taking this she has had so much energy and been happy with no episodes until yesterday afternoon. Hoping this trouble sleeping will ease. Is this common .thank u"

Troopy February 5, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am 26 years old & struggle with ADHD, PTSD, anxiety, an eating disorder, and dysthymia (bipolar type 2 now?). I always had impulse control issues and hypersensitive. Very irritable. Could go from laughing to crying in 20 seconds. I tried so hard my whole life to control my emotions and thoughts. Eventually self medicated with drugs. Finally decided to get sober and doctor said it be much easier if I stabilized my emotions so he recommended lamictal - because I refused to take any medications that make me gain weight. Lamictal changed my life. Don't get me wrong- I still get annoyed - but I can stop, think, and react calmly in a way that I just couldn't do before. I also don't cry over every little thing any more. Lamictal saved my life!"

ADHDlove February 3, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been under treatment for depression for over 10 years and I've tried Prozac, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Luvox, Cymbalta, Efexor and a few more. Efexor was by far the worst! Instead of making me awake I was sleeping around 16 hours at day and little I know my blood pressure was always high. I've started Lamotrigine about 2-3 weeks ago and I'm still on 25mg, but I can tell the difference in my energy and I'm not taking naps during the day at all!!! I don't even feel like it. My energy level is great, something that was making me even more depressed!!!! Life is good again!"

Cici1979 December 27, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am currently being treated for depression after a series of unfortunate events happened in my life. I've tried a couple other medications but this is the only one that has continuously worked. There are a few side effects- dry mouth and heightened anxiety- but compared to what I was going through I will take the side effects any day. My advice: give it a try. You can always change the dose and medication"

Awaldorf (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 16, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am being treated for clinical depression. My anxiety was getting bad. I could not sleep but was always tired. So my doctor prescribed my this in a low dose. I knew there would be side effects. But these made me feel terrible, I had absolutely no energy at all. Still had problems falling asleep & when I slept it was even harder to get up, can't even hear alarm clock go off. When I got up I would have absolutely no energy at all for the entire day till night. I took them for 2 1/2 wks. And stopped. After a few days I felt better. Go back to doctor & he gives me a higher dose?? I took half of a pill and felt like a zombie again for 3 days straight. I called my doc but he isn't in till next week. Don't know why he told me to keep taking them."

Harlow1 October 22, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My Diagnoses: Chronic Treatment Resistant Unipolar Depression, GAD w/ anxiety attacks, ADHD I have been on lamotrigine as both mono and polytherapy. I am currently in remission chronic unipolar depression (9 months now). Lamotrigine has by far been the most effective (alone or combined) with almost no side effects, the only one being paresthesias (tingling in mouth, fingers, and toes). After reducing my daily dose from 200mg to 150mg, I have NO side effects with lamotrigine. I've never felt better in my life. Current Meds: (1x daily in the AM) Lamotrigine 150mg Bupropion XL 150mg Paxil 30mg Propranolol 20mg (BID if higher anxiety that day) Adderall IR- 30mg in the AM, 20mg at 2pm"

PRP_143 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 16, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was started on this med for depression from having no life from getting moderate-severe chronic fatigue syndrome. I can't say this has given my life back or anything but its the only thing that helps with my energy without causing flares like stimulants do. Caffeine is like taking out a loan I have to pay back with interest, if it helps at all. This is the only thing I've found that helps my baseline. I take 150mg a day in the morning. Many people find this sedating, but to me its the opposite. In fact, I can't consistently take any more than 150 because it ups my anxiety at 200mg and above. I'm still disabled, but this is the only thing I've found that bumps my baseline up (and I've tried every supplement and med imaginable)."

Gives energy without flares (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've battled depression for 10 years plus im on 40 mg Citalopram and have been on this for 8 years. 2 year's ago i was put on quetiapine brilliant results but horrid side affect then my consultant put me on 300 mg (slowy increased) lamotrigine same result and no side affects i noticed results within the first week and progression carried on for a good wile i feel a normal member of the human race again. I still have little episodes but are managible i am very happy with this drug its changed me for the better."

Steve foxy c August 11, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've tried roughly a dozen different medications for depression with little to no effect. Some have actually made me feel much worse. Lamotrigine's effect is relatively minor, but more significant than any other medication I've tried. It makes me feel more talkative and enables me to actually enjoy things. My mood still fluctuates quite a bit and on a bad day it has little effect, but the improvement it adds to my good days is very noticeable verse without it. It also helps my social anxiety. Important to note though that it's next to useless for me when used alone. It's improvements only apply when taken with a serotonergic medication. (I take it venlafaxine and mirtazapine)."

Kyle BC July 25, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I titrated up to 100mg. After a couple weeks on 100mg, I started getting tired in the afternoon, cried most mornings, and had no motivation. It definitely made my depression worse."

J_J July 5, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have suffering with mental illness for sometime now. Been on quite a few meds and nothing seemed to help with my depression. My doc put me on Lamictal starting at 25 mg now up to 100 mg for about 2 months now. This medication has really changed my life for the better! The depression is sooo much less and able to function. I would recommend this drug."

Sol1 May 22, 2016

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was off medication for about one year while seeing a therapist when I decided to seek out a psychiatrist and try again. I explained to my psychiatrist that I feel as though my depression is secondary to my mood instability and the problems it continues to cause in my personal life. I said I didn't feel comfortable trying another anti-depressant due to prior bad experiences (self-harm, suicidal thoughts, etc). He suggested a mood stabilizer (Lamictal/lamotrigine). I started out at 50mg, then 100mg, 150mg, 200mg.. Honestly, it did nothing for me. If anything, I feel like it increased my symptoms. Long story short, I ended up in the ER two days ago due to a self-induced overdose.. Would never try it again, but just my personal experience."

Katie080392 May 15, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After 10 years of having nearly every SSRI' and SNRI work and then fail, I developed Sertonin Syndrome on a cocktail of both. I was so afraid to try any antidepressant...but my depression became life-threatening. I'm on only 50 mg. of lamictal (going slow!) for a month...and I am becoming cheerful! Amazing. I do have a slight facial rash I'm carefully watching. No other side effects."

marisol3 (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Lamotrigine definitely made my depression worse. Got off it."

Pixie bee (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 16, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had anxiety since I was 18. Paxil worked wonders for me until after I had kids. From then on no SSRI's worked much any more. I found an amazing lady who helped me figure out what was going on. We agreed that I have mood disorder not otherwise specified. I don't fit the criteria for bipolar because I don't get manic and my depression showed up more as anxiety. Any how, I started taxing lamotrigine XR and it has changed my life! I get nervous I am going to jinx it by admitting out loud how much it has helped me:) I used to read these posts and pray I had the same positive experiences. I am glad to say lamotrigine XR has given me that experience! The firing in my brain is finally calm!!!!"

TippyKanoe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 21, 2016

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I titrated up to 75 and stayed there for about 5 weeks. My depression lightened a bit but it was not effective during my menstrual cycle. Eventually I started experiencing blurry vision and I read that was a common side effect, so I weaned off of it."

LostInSpace18940 January 30, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am currently on a 150mg maintenance dosage. I do take this in combination with other medications because I also have Panic/Anxiety Disorder with Agoraphobia. A year ago I was in such a deep depression (for months). I was not exactly suicidal but often prayed I would go to sleep & not wake up. I began seeing a new psychiatrist & he immediately started me on Lamictal. Literally within weeks I noticed my depression was now under control! I truly believe this medication saved my life. I am definitely still a work in progress, but I am in a much better place. I can actually see the future."

Stacie331 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 18, 2016

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on various anti depressants since my late teens. Everything's from fluoxetine citalopram, clomipramine and in a full breakdown; a combination of mirtazapine and Effexor. It was this last one which took me sky high and so I stopped, also due to 30kg weight gain. After a couple of months I was suicidal and because I was diagnosed with bipolar since the mania on the antidepressants I was recommended going on to a cocktail of quetiapine, depakote and lithium. No way was I taking that with the side effects and the horror stories about weight gain as I've lost the 30kg in weight I put on. Lamotrigine I heard was the only one for helping without the weight gain so I gave it a go. It took about 2 months but it works a treat now on 300mg"

Colin charles (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2015

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am diagnosed with major depression. My doctor added Lamictal because Wellbutrin alone was not effective. The addition of Lamictal improved my symptoms and maintained this improvement. There are three side effects I get with it. I get mild nausea, mild euphoria and sleepiness. I highly recommend it. My doctor says he has great results using it with his patients."

ChristyCee1987 December 11, 2015

54 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I originally began Lamotrigine about 6 weeks ago for Visual Snow syndrome caused by hallucinogen use. I am only on 75mg at this point as I've had to titrate up slowly. I've suffered major depression for most of my life and mild anxiety in the past year. I have noticed a HUGE difference in my mood on Lamotrigine. I have a greater sense of well being, I no longer think about suicide and I feel great about myself. It also decreases the intensity of my visual snow symptoms. I hardly notice or care about it anymore. No side effects either. This drug has truly been a blessing."

Juniper Berry November 25, 2015

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The first day of taking (50 mg) I feel better then I have in YEARS! I have suffered with depression, anxiety, PTSD, insomnia, and BPD (a mess I know). I have been on every antidepressant and antianxiety med over the past 10 years and I have to say it has done wonders! Looking forward to many more good days."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2015