User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Depression

"I stared on medication in the middle of my divorce and I stared to take Abilify then, I stopped since it was not covered by my insurance anymore. I took Risperdal which messed up with my hormones and I had my prolactin levels super high they found a pituitary tumor in my brain ( adenoma) well I had to go for another type of treatment for that. Then, I took quitapine for sleeping I was not able to sleep for very long time Quitapine helped me to sleep but make me gain weight , hallucinations, and bad drugs for eyes. I stared on Lamotrogine since I started to take this everything was fine but after a while passing a year I notice some changes like red rash on my skin they were over my butts and my arms. I gained some weight and loosing my hair."

E23Cli34se55 August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"No more feeling frustrated, and no more outbursts. I take klonopin also. Only thing is orgasm is hard to achieve. Erections are fine, but orgasms are long to get to."

Easy123 August 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Note - I take Lamictal for treatment resistant depression, but that wasn't offered as one of the condition choices. Lamictal has been a godsend. My p-doc prescribed it to augment the Effexor (300 mg/day) that I take. As others have noted, you have to titrate up gradually on Lamictal so it can take about six weeks (in my case) to start seeing improvement. At 75mg/day I definitely began to notice a change for the better and at 100mg/day (which I've been taking now for 2.5 weeks) the positive impact has been dramatic. I don't wake up every morning plagued by anxiety and negative, self-loathing rumination. I am actually happy which hasn't been the case for many years."

miracledrug (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After falling ill with major depression this past Spring, my doctor prescribed Lamectil. I noticed a positive change at 50 mg , and am now up to 75 mgs. I'm looking forward to titration up to 100 and hope that will be the most effective dose, as with fibromyalgia, I am very sensitive to meds. This med has also changed my life as I became non functional, prior to taking it. I pray the positive effects last, as I was in a very dark place without it. I take my dose in the morning, as I was having difficulty sleeping at night ( and take melatonin and benzos) for that. My appetite has also not yet gotten back to normal, but I am taking in enough calories to maintain the weight I lost during the depression."

Cassidy Shane August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Looking back, I think I've had anxiety and depression most of my life. When I started to have mood swings and also feel like crying almost every day, I finally decided to seek treatment. This was about 5 years ago. The generics for Welbutrin and Lexapro helped, but I still had many times when I was depressed and somewhat suicidal. My psychiatrist tried prescribing several add-on meds, but either they weren't effective or caused side effects like weight gain. I am now on 100 mg of lamotrigine, and I don't think I've ever felt better! I am cheerful, motivated and feel like myself, without anxiety or depression. Only side effect is that I sometimes feel itchy on my scalp, arms or legs. No rash."

MomKath (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It caused me worsening depression, facial acne and messed up my comprehension! I could barely come up with words to say. Be aware that depression is an adverse side effect and should be stopped immediately as it only gets worse. I am 21 years old and experienced induced mania because of SSRI's. I was prescribed Lamictal 25mg after a psychotic attack. I took it for only 10 days because the depression got significantly worse day by day, especially when I upped the dose, to the point where I didn't even know who I was . Plus it made me numb and nothing was exciting."

Lela3338 July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have had major depressive disorder with borderline bipolar since I was 9, now with added anxiety. Antidepressants never worked for me. I am also sensitive to medication. As my episodes have gotten worse, my doctor thought to try me on Lamotrigine. I had to go very slowly up, and at first couldn't even tell if this was working, until I went up to 75mg, then I crashed. My dark thoughts took over me, I couldn't stand trying to wake up or get out of bed. My hydroxyzine that usually helps calm me a bit, was no help at all. I was told with being on the low dose that I could just stop it, but then I had bad withdrawal symptoms that took over 2 weeks to calm down. I cannot recommend this medicine."

catblue (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Wow what a difference. I've tried 4 SSRIs, 1 SNRI, Wellbutrin (Made me irritable and couldn't sleep), Viibryd, different ADHD stimulants, and the list goes on. Currently, I'm on sertraline (Zoloft generic) 100mg and it was working out okay, but still struggled with my temper and depression. After 5 weeks, I'm finally on lamotrigine (Lamictal generic) IR 100mg once a day. It took 3 days after I started the 100mg to notice a big difference in my behavior. Side effects you might notice while starting it are Dizziness (minor), slight sedation or tiredness, and depression. My depression is now gone. I believe it was my brain adjusting to this miracle of a medication."

Vibro (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I never write reviews but this time I had too. I am 24 years old and had depression since I was in fifth grade. It was manageable up until I graduated high school. When I started working in taking on more responsibilities I started getting depression really bad . To the point I cannot handle anything anymore. I tried Venlafaxine for 5 years. It worked good on the mood and the depression but as it went on the side effects kept getting worse and worse which made me stop taking it. Terrible withdrawal. I then took mirtazapine for 6 months didn't work. Now taking lamotrigine at 100 mg - (after upping slow) Took about two months, I have never felt this good in a long time! No more worrying no more depression! I highly recommend this!!!"

Patrick1969 June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So far, at a dosage of 200mg/day, this medication has turned my life around. Although I haven't been diagnosed bipolar, it has been enormously helpful and has destroyed my depression and anxiety. It took a while to increase the dose but it was 100% worth the wait!"

houdini95 June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The medicine seemed to work okay. However after two weeks of 25 mg I increased to 50 mg and after 6 days of 50mg I was admitted in the hospital with aseptic meningitis. I didn't know at time it was from medication. I came home restarted medication and then started with rash so stopped medication. When I called my psych to tell him about rash and about recent hospital stay he told me Lamcital causes meningitis. I was told to stop medication immediately."

Renee12280 May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It only took 4 doses of the 25mg starter pack to cause major issues for me. I experienced sleep disturbances that exacerbated my depression and anxiety. It's been a few days since my last dose and I'm still struggling with insomnia, panic and frequent tearfulness."

sleepygrl May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hello all: My daughter has had some form of depression since high school. Where she has had therapy it wasn't recommended that she take medication. She has a safety plan in place, food, exercise etc. She seemed to manage the depression pretty well until college. She had never been on any antidepressants before and her first trip the the pshyc. they put her on lamictal 25 mg. My fear as a mom is that she is depressed not bipolor. She's only been on it for a week and where she presents more snippy/angry in her depression she has cried everyday on this medication. We don't have a follow up for a few weeks does anyone have any advise?"

Mom seeking advise April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been seeing a counselor regarding some personal issues going on. She thought I was mildly autistic or had some sort of social disorder because she couldn't read my body language. I am in my mid 40s and work in PR. Nobody has ever brought it up. She said to go to a behavioral specialist anyway to see what they says. The Specialist diagnosed me with Cyclothemia, which seems to be bipolar light, or rather just moody. Certainly the latter is true. I'm not a fan of meds but this has really changed me, for the better I believe. If I forget to take it, boy can I tell. Not sure if it's withdrawals or how I used to feel. If I lose my insurance I can keep taking it. It's cheap thank goodness."

DJ_1970 April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I guess I can't say much about it just yet, I've tried almost every antidepressant out there with basically no luck, so my doc suggested we try lamotrigine. (and funny how my review starts out like any other). I'm up to 50mg now, and I don't know if I notice any difference at all, no side effects either thus far, so at least thats good. if I notice any difference, I will update."

mindmaze (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi my Dr started me on this today. I have mood swings, low energy & depression. I am scared too death of medicine. I read the reviews & that has helped ease some anxiety...but I am still a little scared. Thank you"

Christinadawn April 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was very hesitant about adding any new medication to my relatively mild SSRI & Klonopin regimen, but despite this combo, my depressive symptoms not only persisted, but grew more intense during active phases. I say "active" meaning "severely more depressed than usual." I *alway* felt depressed, but every few months, I would fall into a debilitating state where I could barely function, couldn't leave the house, cried all the time, just hated myself, and it got to the point that getting up and showering felt overwhelming. I started Lamictal, felt nothing at first, but after 8 days, I literally *snapped* out of it. I felt normal & hopeful for the first time ever. I would definitely give this a chance if your doctor feels it is a good choice."

ShannyCat March 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had depression my entire life, and Lamictal started working for me within a month, or so. This medication hasn't solved all my issues, but has made my depression manageable. I still have to make sure I'm getting regular exercise, eating well, getting enough sleep, spending time in the mountains and in the sun, and showering regularly; if I don't, I will cycle back into a depressive episode. I know this is probably common for the general population, but I wanted to make it clear that before, those activities wouldn't curb my depression in any way. I give this 9/10 as it has caused my eye sight to decline, have noticed some gum recession, some sexual side effects, as well as some hair loss (supplementing with selenium has helped)."

ClaireBear4 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug is a live saver. Has me back to feeling like myself."

bthomasdickinson (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After reading so many positive reviews on this site, I decided to try Lamotrigine. I found it to be the most effective long-term drug for depression and mood stability. Having tried antidepressants and most mood stabilizers, this was the best drug for me. It does not make me tired or drugged up - just substantially reduces depression. Reduces overall depression, SI, obsessions and anxiety. Slowly went to 200mg/day as I couldn't feel much difference at 100. I had to switch to the brand name as generic was giving me stomach problems. Otherwise no side effects."

Canada345 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Made my depression and anxiety worse, which I wasn't expecting as this drug seems so well tolerated by others. My maximum dose was 50mg bd (50mg twice daily). I just wanted to make people aware that this can happen. On the plus side, it did get rid of my visual migraines."

ifyouneed (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi,my 12 yr old daughter has been having huge episodes lasting up to 1hr 45 min . (how we describe it) for about 8 mths now. She's been having hallucinations, and trying to self harm. We have had many tests done like MRI, lumber punch; many blood tests and electroencephalogram (EEG) and its not epilepsy. Everything has come back good medically. We have tried a few medications such as risperidone and olanzapine which hasn't worked. She is also on one tablet a day of Lovan (antidepressant ). Four days ago she was put on Lamical 25mg in morning. The plan is to up this weekly for 4 weeks til we at 100mg . Since taking this she has had so much energy and been happy with no episodes until yesterday afternoon. Hoping this trouble sleeping will ease. Is this common .thank u"

Troopy February 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 26 years old & struggle with ADHD, PTSD, anxiety, an eating disorder, and dysthymia (bipolar type 2 now?). I always had impulse control issues and hypersensitive. Very irritable. Could go from laughing to crying in 20 seconds. I tried so hard my whole life to control my emotions and thoughts. Eventually self medicated with drugs. Finally decided to get sober and doctor said it be much easier if I stabilized my emotions so he recommended lamictal - because I refused to take any medications that make me gain weight. Lamictal changed my life. Don't get me wrong- I still get annoyed - but I can stop, think, and react calmly in a way that I just couldn't do before. I also don't cry over every little thing any more. Lamictal saved my life!"

ADHDlove February 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been under treatment for depression for over 10 years and I've tried Prozac, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Luvox, Cymbalta, Efexor and a few more. Efexor was by far the worst! Instead of making me awake I was sleeping around 16 hours at day and little I know my blood pressure was always high. I've started Lamotrigine about 2-3 weeks ago and I'm still on 25mg, but I can tell the difference in my energy and I'm not taking naps during the day at all!!! I don't even feel like it. My energy level is great, something that was making me even more depressed!!!! Life is good again!"

Cici1979 December 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am currently being treated for depression after a series of unfortunate events happened in my life. I've tried a couple other medications but this is the only one that has continuously worked. There are a few side effects- dry mouth and heightened anxiety- but compared to what I was going through I will take the side effects any day. My advice: give it a try. You can always change the dose and medication"

Awaldorf (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 16, 2016