User Reviews for Lamotrigine to treat Borderline Personality Disorder

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal XR, Subvenite, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal CD

Lamotrigine has an average rating of 7.6 out of 10 from a total of 59 ratings for the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder. 73% of those users who reviewed Lamotrigine reported a positive effect, while 20% reported a negative effect.

Lamotrigine Rating Summary

7.6/10 average rating

Compare all 28 medications used in the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder.

Reviews for Lamotrigine

Depressedthotty · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 24, 2021

“Horrific drug. 6 months later I am still dealing with the consequences this drug put me through. I tapered up to 100mg all fine and dandy, I was then admitted to hospital for extreme heart palpitations and chest pain, and then came the worst lingering anxiety I’ve ever had, panic attacks landing me in and out of hospital, and being unable to function for the next two months after. I now have PTSD from this medication and I’m scared to try anything, even vitamins because of how horrific my experience was. And I deal with intense anxiety every day even 6 months later. I hope it works for you, but I would like to share my story.”

TC · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 29, 2021

“I started on 25mg for two weeks, during this period I didn't notice much of an effect other than some drowsiness. After two weeks the dose was increased to 50mg, this is when my problems began. I experienced severe side effects, including increased depression, increased anxiety, a high fever, a sore throat, a brain fog, body aches, and a burning sensation on my skin that I can only describe as feeling like sunburn. I had to immediately discontinue use of Lamotrigine. I understand these are rare side effects that more than likely won't happen to most people, however it was unbearable for me. I have never had a medication impact me as negatively as Lamotrigine.”

Nev March 3, 2021

“I am diagnosed with BPD and ADHD. The first time I ever took Lamotrigine I felt like a new person completely, even my friends noticed how I was all of a sudden level headed and not as restless etc. Unfortunately this feeling soon disappeared no matter how much I went up on the dosage :( But this is still a very good drug and helps my anger/rage very well. I've also noticed that when I miss a dosage, I drop into much more of a depression so it must help stabilise my mood more than I realise. Overall very good medication with NO side effects for me. (I take 250mg a day along with Aripiprizole and Elvanse)”

Cam · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 17, 2020

“I was first on topamax for my borderline personality disorder which my body didn’t agree with and almost shut my liver down. I got Wellbutrin XL 150mg, which helped but made me super angry, my doctor then added in Lamictal 100mg (starting from the lowest dose and gradually increasing) and it cancelled out the anger they Wellbutrin caused and the two work phenomenally well for me. Like a lot of people on here they say they felt the effects immediately, I can vouch for that. It put my brain into a zen state and I got my laid back nature back. Mind you this only worked for me along with seeing a therapist and working out constantly. Medication helps set the bar, but you gotta do the work to get to where you want to be. I believe in you.”

D · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 8, 2021

“Requested to try this med to my prescriber based on my own research and knowledge of the positive reviews from those taking it for Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). I must say that although I was not expecting it to help me this much, and I never wrote reviews for anything... I want to help others know how incredibly life changing lamotrigine could be for you like it is for me! I feel so normal! Never did I think I would feel this great. I want everyone to feel this relief. I can control my negative emotions now!! If you are on the fence about it, I say go for it !!!”

Warrior; · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 31, 2019

“Lamictal has 100% changed my life with borderline personality disorder. I am beyond grateful to finally be able to function like a “normal” human being. I am not lashing out in anger anymore, I can concentrate, I think before I react, I behave rationally and I have patience. I had zero ability to control my reactions before Lamictal. This medication literally saved my life. If you do go on this medication, I must warn you that the change is very dramatic and adjusting to “normal” is very foreign and scary for a while - especially if you have been “this way” for a long time. Therapy is an absolute must. Talking through your problems, past and present, learning new coping skills and just having that support will help tremendously. I know you probably feel like it’s impossible to change because it’s all you know, I get it, but life can be good. No matter how many other meds didn’t work, Lamictal might be the answer to your prayers.”

Corbs · Taken for less than 1 month July 25, 2020

“Ok so when I first started taking this medication Lamotrigine for borderline personality disorder I felt really dizzy, slightly sedated, and had nausea. I read a lot of others people reviews saying if you can push past this initial stage your body will adjust to it, and what do you know it took about six days to get over the initial side effects from lamotrigine. I feel WAY more balanced out, I am not over thinking, and the things that used to worry me or give me anxiety no longer do. I don't hold on to the negative obsessive thoughts like i used to. If something upsets me I am able to take a step back and look at the whole picture without blowing up. I realize it takes 6 weeks to reach full potential but oh my wow must I say I see and feel a difference within myself. I am going to keep taking this medication, as I can see its potential to change my life, the way I feel about myself, the way I feel and interact with others, and my whole outlook on things in general. I am starting to feel normal, and I haven't felt like that in awhile.”

Calm at last · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 9, 2019

“I consider Lamictal to be my miracle drug for borderline personality disorder, it has significantly turned my life around for the better. I'm currently about to have my dose increased to 200mg a day (was 100mg previously), but I already feel more.. 'normal'. I feel like I'm close to becoming the person I'm meant to be, my true self. I had felt blinded, hanging onto the words of loved ones, doing harmful things on impulse, pushing others way. I felt like I was looking at the world through a distorted lens. I'm learning how to be at peace with myself and others thanks to Lamictal. I love it, can't recommend it enough. I hope I'm not the only one with BPD who takes this. :-)”

Walt · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2020

“I suffer from BPD (borderline personality disorder ) and severe anxiety disorder. I've been through 5-6 different medications and many combinations to help better my situation and haven't had much success. I am 3/4 of the way through a gradual increase in dosage of Lamotrigine, and I'm taking 75mg currently. I hate to use the word "miracle drug," but what this drug has done for me in the 5 weeks I have been on it is outstanding. After the first 25mg dose expired I began taking 50mg and it was almost like a switch was turned on in my head. I am up at a good time and became productive, which is a good change from sitting in bed for 16 hours replaying terrible scenarios over and over in my head. I've began dieting and exercising and my thoughts of impending doom and mood disorder symptoms have been much less than normal. I'm finally living life, and my relationships are getting better with less severe mood swings. I'm genuinely looking forward to increasing my dose when I see my psychiatrist next.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2020

“I started taking lamotrigine 2 days ago. I know that not much time has passed since I stared taking it, but I almost immediately felt its effects on me. I came back on Earth, I have just came back to "normality". At first, it was strange. I mean I missed my previous highs, but I know that "normality" is the way to making good decisions. I feel more stable and I am more aware that I am not alone, but there are many of my family members and friends who love me. I think it must be a great medicine, and I continue taking it with hope. :-) I really wish all the best to everyone.”

Geb27 · Taken for 10 years or more March 19, 2020

“I’ve been taking Lamotrigine for roughly 15 years now. I started when I was a teenager and now I’m into my 30’s. I take it for mood stabilization. Over the years my dosage had been adjusted for a variety of things, but the last 9 years my dosage has stayed at 200mg. This medication is a lifesaver. I went through several psychiatric emergencies, tried several different medications, but Lamotrigine ended up being what works for me. There are some serious side effects, some more tolerable than others. But overall a great medication.”

AJNYC · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 27, 2019

“First suicide attempt at 8 years old. Lows, highs, fear of abandonment and rejection. In and out of therapy since age 16. Been misdiagnosed with major depressive disorder. Prescribed Lexapro, Effexor, Cymbalta, Zoloft and none of them worked. I felt like a failure because the meds wouldn't work. 3 years ago (2016), I walked into a hospital and said I need help, please. I was given a psychiatrist and social worker team from the GODS of heaven. I was FINALLY diagnosed properly and put on Lamictal. Been on 50mg since Aug 2016. Today June 27, 2019 it was increased to 75mg. Lamictal and my mental health team SAVED MY LIFE!!!. I do not take any other mental health medication other than Lamictal.”

Mbl31 November 13, 2017

“This drug has probably saved my life. I feel as though the cloud has moved from my eyes and I'm finally myself again if not better, I'm in great moods often versus just making it day to day. After trying antidepressants and other things I can absolutely say this has been the best thing I've ever come across for actually helping my triggers And anger . I'd like to know what it actually does, scientifically, but it feels it almost gives me time to think before snapping. I'm still not 100% but even my partner, friends and work have noticed a difference in myself. I'm proud of myself for not giving up on myself, glad I never went thru with some very disturbing thoughts, I'm lucky to be here and very excited about my future ♡♡♡ best of luck♡♡♡”

Alice · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 20, 2018

“This med saved my life. I’m on lexapro for depression/anxiety, adderall for adhd, and Wellbutrin xl for depression. But my main problem was my borderline personality disorder. I was insane. Crazy. A monster. Now I can’t even fathom my old self. I would be dead if it wasn’t for this medicine. It’s the only thing that quieted the voices.”

Anonymous October 21, 2017

“No longer horrified to make eye contact. No longer worried people are judging me.. No longer bitter. I'm happy and back to me for the first time in 10+ years. This has literally changed my life. All the new experiences and social interactions I'm having are positive - a lot of great CBT going on over here !!! :)”

bob · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 14, 2018

“Much less anxiety and agitation. Much less impulsivity. Much more stable relationships, feels like I've got thicker skin now! Blunts depression but does not take it away completely, need to add antidepressants to take it away completely. Does not remove obsessive/intrusive thoughts but helps me manage them much better. Had some side effects first few months, like having trouble with how to spell (Weird right?) and forgetting words but those abated. Now at 200mg I sometimes have problems focusing my eyes but it is totally worth it, I can work and function! 10/10!”

deesturms · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 26, 2019

“I’ve been on latuda, Paxil, Prozac, and Zoloft and honestly none of them helped me manage my mood swings like lamictal has. Now I’m taking Zoloft and lamictal, this combination has saved my life and helped me save my relationships! I also have bipolar disorder and PSTD, so I’ve also taken klonopin with lamictal/Zoloft. I’m really grateful that I’ve had the chance to get help.”

Indigo · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2018

“Been on lamotrigine for 2 months and have slowly worked my way up to 200mg. Combined with Prozac (fluoxetine) which I also slowly worked my way up to 50mg. It is saving me in so many ways. No more extreme lows, impulsiveness, I think before I act, anger has subsided, anxiety is slowly creeping away, no suicidal thoughts, no crying at nothing, not up and down like a yoyo throughout the day. I have been on every medication for BPD and my panic disorder/ anxiety. This is the only one that has worked with no weight gain. Initial sleepiness, slight nausea and diarrhea as side effects. But it subsides If you push through. Thank goodness for this mood stabilising medication.”

FireFerret August 7, 2020

“Lamotrigine sounded like a great drug at first, it doesn't affect your sexual health, it doesn't make you emotionally numb, and I imagine it helps a lot of people. PLEASE DON'T LET THIS SCARE YOU But unfortunately, for me, according to my doctor it had a very bad reaction once I moved up to 100mg that unfortunately landed me in hospital and rendered me unable to function properly for the next two weeks. It was due to my genetic profile and medication sensitivity that caused my body to reject the drug, If you are sensitive to higher doses to medication generally or get extreme anxiety with your borderline I highly recommend getting pharmacogenomic testing or a genetic profile for the medication (in Australia it is not that expensive) before taking this medication. What happened to me was rare but can happen, and I don't want anyone else to go through what I went through But in saying this please don't be scared to try this medication, because it has worked wonders for so many people.”

Diagnosed with BPD/Bi Polar · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 4, 2017

“This medication is amazing. I started at 5mg and am on 150mg now. It's changed my life tremendously. I also haven't gained any weight from it. (I was originally on Zyprexa and had gained 50 pounds) In fact, Lamictal has helped me lose weight and stabilize my weight. I love this medication so much because life is 1000x more manageable and I never knew I could feel this way. I was so close to ending my life and this medication saved me along with learning DBT skills. However, it was really uncomfortable until I got stabilized on the 150mg. Going up to 200mg also made me too numb. I recommend this medication most definitely as someone who has gone through the awful trial and error of testing medications.”

mad kad October 6, 2020

“I didn't think I would ever be functioning, or have a day without extreme "agony", anger, outbursts, and ideation. However, the DAY of taking Lamotrigine my emotions just calmed down. My life has improved exponentially. I feel like I can have a family, a career, a stable relationship, and haven't been "on the edge". I know studies say it doesn't work for us. I disagree because this is my miracle drug. Other meds didn't work for me, so my psych recommended lamotrigine. If you feel like you're watching a monster take over your life and you're just there for the ride: I recommend this. If you feel like your emotions take control of your body: I recommend this. Negatives: Numb for the first week. Felt like I didn't love anyone? That's gone now. Oil production: Worst acne of my life. That's ok. Dose changes: I'm on 150mg, and expect to go up. I know when it's time to increase because I'll have a breakdown. I'm worried it won't work once I'm on the max dose. Risky rare side effects: scary.”

E.R. September 14, 2017

“Started taking lamictal when I started DBT earlier this year, and noticed almost immediately that my intense mood swings had largely subsided. Some classic BPD symptoms haven't been resolved (for me, feelings of insecurity/abandonment and argumentativeness) and I still struggle with suicidal ideation and target behaviors. However, the intensity and frequency of these episodes have diminished greatly. Lamictal has really improved my life and I think I would be in a drastically worse position without taking it. I haven't have any weight gain on this medication or any other negative side effects. I would definitely recommend this medication! Hope this was helpful and I wish you well on your journey of healing. :)”

sh1nob1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 27, 2020

“Hi all. Hope everyone before and after me here will eventually get better. I have severe BPD with predominant depressive/ suicidal episodes and anger. I'm also very anxious and anxiety gives me depersonalization episodes. So I was prescribed with lamotrigine as a mood stabilizer and it supposed to help with derealization episodes somehow. At first it seemed to work, depression was not that deep and derealization seemed to be gone like as I was a kid again. But eventually after three weeks I've noticed that it all got much worse depressive/ aggressive wise. I also started getting chills and shivering with headaches. Last thing I wanted to add - don't mix it with anything like weed or alcohol. My MD said I may smoke, but when I did I had severe panic attacks and something that felt like psychosis. To be clear , I smoke occasionally for 5 years already and I've never got such feelings from weed.”

Bbeeccaa October 6, 2016

“I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and was prescribed lamictal to stabilize my moods. I was having explosive reactions on a daily basis and morning depression. Today I wake up feeling content and happy. My mood episodes have greatly subsided and I feel like I can handle frustration a lot better. Also my relationship with my boyfriend has improved because of much less fighting and explosions on him. This medication is very helpful. Only side effect was some headaches and diarrhea.”

Akupox June 17, 2016

“This medicine has given me my life back, after suffering from BPD, PTSD, manic depression and paranoia for years and trying every medication under the sun with no luck, Lamictal (at 200 mg a day) has made me feel alive again. I have energy, I can think straight, and my highs and lows are less frequent and the lows are much easier to deal with. It really feels like a miracle pill!”

L. · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 21, 2019

“I can only recommend this. Before this medication I wasn't able to function like a regular human being. The mood swings and everything, it was terrible. I been taking it for like two months, now I am on 150 mg a day, and I feel so much better. I can finally function because my moods have gotten so much more stable than before. I am thankful that my psychiatrist prescribed it to me, because I can't imagine, where I would be now, if I didn't get help back then.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 19, 2018

“Lamictal has been a life changer. I suffered every single symptom of Borderline and, after reaching my therapeutic dose of 200 mg, it completely changed my life. Now it wasn't really effective for my anxiety but it abolished my depression, severe mood changes, feelings of emptiness, fear of abandonment, etc. Now those still break thru and that's where therapy comes in but lamictal is a necessity. The only thing that will make me come off of it is if I'm in danger of glaucoma”

Shay1377 February 10, 2014

“I immediately noticed how it balanced out my moods to a more stable baseline and helped with early morning depression and afternoon depression mood swings. The more I increased the dosage, the better the results. I currently take 150mg daily. I find it more beneficial to split the dosage between morning and afternoon. Although I still have impulsive behaviors. I don't expect pharmaceuticals to be the cure all and therapy should help minimize my impulsive reactions. PS: Costco discount brings my RX to be about $8 for 30 tablets which is amazing!”

Learn more about Borderline Personality Disorder