User Reviews for Topiramate to treat Tourette's Syndrome

Also known as: Topamax, Trokendi XR, Qudexy XR

Topiramate has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 10 ratings for the treatment of Tourette's Syndrome. 40% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 30% reported a negative effect.

Topiramate Rating Summary

5.8/10 average rating

Compare all 12 medications used in the treatment of Tourette's Syndrome.

Reviews for Topiramate

Carmel Kaplan · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 8, 2018

Topamax (topiramate): “My beautiful son had the worst issues with TS we went to a doctor, God bless Him I'll never forget you Dr. Marreo you changed our lives forever Topamax. We tried everything... my son is almost 90% tic free if not 99% most of the time. Yes, the thought process may be a little slower but the benefits outweigh. TRY TOPAMAX IF YOU HAVE TS it saved my son”

SBrun September 21, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): “Topamax/Topiramate has been wonderful for tic reduction. I have a fairly obvious case and they are exhausting and embarrassing. I have minimal to no side effects, a little drier mouth perhaps, plus my 15/20 vision reduces to 20/20. I feel less anxious and less "pressure/need" to tic. I can take much lower doses of the brand name to achieve the same effect with the generic; but my insurance won't cover the brand name. It's 100mg twice/day generic versus half that amount brand version. It's still worth it!! I feel so much more in control and "almost normal".”

Anxiety and Tourette’s April 17, 2019

Topamax (topiramate): “I had to stop Topamax, but I took this med for anxiety, Tourette’s and abuse of alcohol. It was a great. Stopped alcohol and Tourette’s disappeared. I also had no anxiety. However, I started to get hematurias (blood in my urine) and kidney stones from the drug and I had to stop taking it.”

SteffenG April 10, 2013

Topamax (topiramate): “I have Tourette's Syndrome and ADHD. Tried different kinds of medicines for my TS. Depending on my day, I could have some to a lot of tics. Topamax did wonders for my tics, but it can have side effects that are similar to ADHD symptoms - different remembering some words/names when asked, unable to concentrate, etc. I also experienced that my thought-pattern were kind of limited to a certain degree, as I would sometimes have difficulties thinking further ahead. This medicine however, was much better than other kinds I've tried. ”

Anonymous January 12, 2009

Topamax (topiramate): “I have MS and often shake. I have a full time job and often had to listen to people ask me "had a little to much coffee?" or "are you cold?". Since I started taking two doses of Topamax - one in the morning and one in the evening my shaking has greatly diminished.”

Lyn · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 2, 2018

Topamax (topiramate): “I've had Tourette's as long as I can remember. I was finally diagnosed in my 50s. Topamax was fantastic for my tics. First time ever to not be in pain. I have neck fusions from all the neck twisting, turning, stretching. Unfortunately side effects were terrible. Flu like symptoms, migraines (some take it for migraine prevention??), plugged ears, slower reflexes (not good since I do canyoneering). Good side effects: carbonated drinks taste terrible, lessened my appetite. I was on it for 8 months until I was setting up rigging for a 150' rappel and had to think way too hard on what normally was second nature.”

Gg · Taken for less than 1 month May 1, 2019

“Wow after reading all the comments. I have only taken it for one day, and I'm scared to keep taking it as there are more bad reviews than good ones so to me that means in most cases this does not work. I will see how it goes”

Jade · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2019

“The worst med I've ever taken. I was only on it for three weeks as the side effects were too bad to continue taking it. I almost immediately noticed numbness in my hands and feet which I was told would go away. After upping the meds I began to notice that I was zoning out frequently and was unable to focus on any task. I talked with my dr and discontinued the meds when it began effecting my job”

Ticc-y talker · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 15, 2021

“I was on this for 3 years (anywhere from 50 -100mg per day, depending on my progress @ follow ups) to control tics as well as help my chronic migraines. I’ll start off by saying it basically cured my migraines. I went from 10+ a month to 1-2. So it’s great for that. Idk how helpful it was for my tics as I was on other meds too, but the side effects were horrific for me. Completely zapped my appetite, caused a ton of weight loss, and gave me terrible aphasia. I really struggled verbally sometimes. Would not recommend, unless you also have migraines. I give a 5 over all because of that.”

Tweeters · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2018

“I started experiencing tremors (tapping my teeth involuntarily ). I am taking topiramate 25MG twice daily and next week I am to double the dosage. It is helping the tremors but a side benefit is that I have lost 8.5 pounds in less than a week and my appetite has diminished. I do feel sleepy and somewhat unmotivated. I will report back later after I have been on the medication for a longer period of time. So far I am pleased.”

BoniestCoder · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 5, 2021

“Didn't do anything. It was just me basically swallowing 8 pebbles everyday.”

Cobra1414 January 22, 2018

Topamax Sprinkle (topiramate): “after taking it makes my blood pressure low”