User Reviews for Topiramate to treat Borderline Personality Disorder

Also known as: Topamax, Trokendi XR, Qudexy XR

Topiramate has an average rating of 6.9 out of 10 from a total of 14 ratings for the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder. 64% of those users who reviewed Topiramate reported a positive effect, while 29% reported a negative effect.

Topiramate Rating Summary

6.9/10 average rating

Compare all 28 medications used in the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder.

Reviews for Topiramate

PMR2020 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 11, 2021

“I was placed on this medication topiramate and it helped me with my borderline personality disorder! I was able to function better and it assisted with mood and irritation. The side effects at first were difficult, however it got easier. I was on 50mg daily.”

Jill · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 13, 2020

“This medication has been a game changer. After trying so many medications (SSRI, SNRI, and then working my way through the mood stabilizers) Topamax has completely changed the way I think - I no longer pick at my skin. I feel very calm. I don't feel like I'm going I will lose my life every time I leave my house. I did experience some cognitive issues for the first few weeks, but those side effects have subsided and I am now thinking clearer. I attribute this to perhaps not being consumed by fear and anxiety. Loss of taste has definitely been an annoying side effect - I miss tasting salty and sweet foods - this has resulted in a 20lb weight loss.”

Kay · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 4, 2020

“This pill worked great at first then I started eating less and less and becoming VERY forgetful and numb. Friends even asked why I was so quiet.I haven't felt so dissociated and weird in forever would not recommend..”

Me July 20, 2020

“Oh my y’all , This topiramate is the best for borderline personality disorder (bpd)!! It’s wonderful. I started out with 50mg at night and now both morning and night and it’s a life changing experience. I’ve had so many bad and terrible years and on so many different kinds of meds . We all know there are NO meds for our illness but I’m telling you this works!!! I’m happy and Met a wonderful man that soon to share my life with and I really don’t think I would have made it without this medication. I strongly recommend it. ❤️”

andrea198 May 10, 2018

“I have been on many meds for bpd and nothing worked. I was suicidal daily. I was on a cocktail of meds which wasn't helping so I just stopped them all. I did not feel better or worse. As with most days I was calling the suicide helpline. I was going to work every day. My manager would not allow me to go on the sick leave. My therapist was urging me to call in sick saying I wasn't in any state to hold down a job. I was still taking my sleeping meds 5 pills which I take the minute I get home from work every day so I sleep until 5 next morning. I was so depressed, anxious, suicidal, I can't bear the evenings and weekends which are just hours of crying and self harming. I found this site and read about topimax, I put it to my doctor. We tried 50mg for my bulimia which I do as self harm It helped. I told my doctor that maybe if we upped the dose it may help as a mood stabiliser. To cut a long story short I'm on 200mg in the morning and 200mg in the evening, just this is my 3rd day and already I feel a difference :)”

Yahs girl August 6, 2017

“This drug is a game changer ! I'm coping daily much better... I was a mess, suicidal a roller coaster of instability and terrible migraines, so far so good. I'm in a place where Dialectical behavior therapy (dbt) can at least sink in .... I'm hoping not to much weight loss cause I'm tiny to begin with. But no side effects so far.”

Driskey · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 22, 2019

“My doctor told me there’s no actual pill for BPD so it was a long shot to try this drug. I wanted to love it like everyone else, but I had the most god awful side effects. My hands and feet become painfully numb and tingly like I sat on them and they fell asleep and it also gave me a weird, phegmy, deep cough. I’ve heard such good things and everybody’s body chemistry is different and my body did not get along with this drug at all. Nope, nope, I’ll never take this drug again!”

pmbourque March 10, 2017

“My bp was up so they reduced my Wellbutrin XL, which I take for major depressive disorder, and gave me this. Not a bright idea for someone with anxiety. I have mild anxiety. Racing negative thoughts. Took it 3 days, still have issues months later.”

Kinkymink July 6, 2016

“Personally this drug helped my mood swings greatly, however I was quite disturbed that it agitated my diet as much as it did. I have a co-morbid eating disorder which was agitated by the med. The Topirimate made it so I HAD to eat my food a very specific way. Something soft, yet crunchy at the same time. Normally I wouldnt complain, however it was always on my mind.I think the hardest thing about the med was the appetite suppression for me. I was down to eating one meal a day, which ultimately let to me not loosing any weight which I can say was very difficult for me. I had increased irritability, and I felt overly fatigued. I am also on Citalopram, which is a terrible combination if you're prone to fatigue.”

KK · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 13, 2020

“I did not notice any emotional or behavioral changes I took topiramate for years. It gave me memorable and intense nightmares to the point I had panic attacks in my sleep, I remembered my nightmares vividly. I was told this would help with migraines, behaviors like intense emotional swings, also with weight loss. It may have helped me lose weight but I was doing a lot of over things to lose weight so hard to say. I would recommend trying but really watch if it helps or not, and if your side effects are worse than the supposed or help that it gives you.”

oddone1 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 12, 2019

“Topamax helped me discover that there are other 'Beautiful' emotions besides sadness and rage.”

Anna · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 11, 2019

“In combination with Wellbutrin the topiramate has been the only medication that has been able to stabilize my BPD symptoms. My mood is stable and I’m soooo much less impulsive”

Jill · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 31, 2018

“Immediate relief! It regulates my mood, calms me down, and stabilizes my thoughts and feelings. I take 25mg/day.”

Deckofwylds · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 21, 2016

“I love the memory loss who wants to remember all the bad crap anyway! As for the good stuff Facebook will remind you with your own damn photos!”

Danielle19842928;!:$37,!3$282$ May 29, 2017

“This helped my urges and impulses !”

Learn more about Borderline Personality Disorder