User Reviews for Topiramate to treat Bulimia

Also known as: Topamax, Trokendi XR, Qudexy XR

Topiramate has an average rating of 7.6 out of 10 from a total of 19 ratings for the treatment of Bulimia. 68% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 5% reported a negative effect.

Topiramate Rating Summary

7.6/10 average rating

Compare all 6 medications used in the treatment of Bulimia.

Reviews for Topiramate

Recoveringbulimic · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 4, 2021

Topamax (topiramate): “I have been bulimic since 20 years plus. Nothing has helped. I have been in and out of recovery, counselling, it has always come back. I was put on 25mg top which did nothing. It was increased to 50mg then 100 mg and then the binging craving just went away. Still it wasn’t magic - it is not a magic drug. While it will take away the cravings, there will be slips like in my case. But from bingeing twice a week to bingeing once in two weeks I have come a long way. Thank you so much. This is life saving!!”

Bulimicmom February 13, 2021

“This is my update review. Please see the below experience- I was very happy with my progress with this medication. Nothing has helped before. I was getting healthier, not binging losing weight, AND breaking out. I haven’t broken out in years!! My hair is still falling out in clumps and I pop in biotin, B5,B12,selenium religiously. I am on 100 MG everyday. So after seeing the state of my skin I have decided to discontinue use. Breaks my heart to see my skin so bad but have been an acne sufferer for years and only managed clearing it in my early thirties which was a huge blessing. The search is still on!”

Bulimicmom · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2021

“I am 37 years old and have been bulimic since I was 15 when I was in high school. I have tried everything to get rid of this horrid disease. I have tried everything from therapy, to reading books, but haven’t checked into rehab. I have developed a pattern- binging, purging then a few days of water fasting. Nothing has helped me cure so far. Not sure if this will either. So far I have been on this medication for a month. 25 mg to start with for a week. Did nothing. I almost quit but glad I did not. Then I moved onto 50 Mg twice daily two weeks ago and my appetite went away and so did my need to binge. Lost some weight but that’s a side effect. I really don’t care if my appetite comes back but let’s hope I don’t binge again. So far on 100mg I have no desire to binge, no desire to overeat and it’s a great feeling. I feel free after so many years! You will know what I mean if you have felt as trapped as I have as a bulimic. This is a miracle drug.”

lovesdogs · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 3, 2019

Topamax (topiramate): “I am a 47 yr old LICSW crises clinician and have bulimic since 15, with periods of restricting and over exercise and overeating. I went to therapy and 12 step program anorexics and bulimics anonymous (longest sober time out of 12 years in program was 5 months). After topomax things changed and I realized my obsession with food, purging and running 10-15 miles everyday was in my brain-not in a a higher power. Topomax is truly amazing and I can't believe no one told me about this until I was almost 46 yrs old. I lived with eating disorder for 45 years of my life. My memory is different. I have to live with it. People with medical issues have to deal with lots of medications side effects. I will take it.”

A · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 1, 2020

“I've been on this medication for over 2 years now, and I can honestly say I haven't binged eaten or purged more than 5 times in the last 2 years and by may of 2020 this year I will be two years sober from alcohol! I also cannot taste carbonation in fizzy drinks like the other user has stated. My moods are still a little irregular, but all and all this medication has helped me get my life back on track if you even wanted to call my life on track ever truthfully! I am a firm believer that some people do truly need medication.”

Flawed RN · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 10, 2018

Topamax (topiramate): “I'm an educated, certified, educator and RN who has dealt with Bulimia since age 12. When I was a teenager I was put on Topamax for two years and then in combination with Prozac for one year for depression and the eating disorder. 100% it worked. I got out of the cycle and didn't gain any unwanted weight, eventually getting off the two and still felt great. It wasn't until after giving birth twice that the depression and bulimia came back. Post baby number two and one lost baby in between, at age 27 I couldn't drop the unwanted weight and felt depressed about it. Now 30 I am considering going back on the meds because it worked so well the first time, but I am the type of person who doesn't like mind altering drugs or the feeling that I can't do it on my own. 3 years deep right now and my doctor really wants me to go back on meds at least to bridge my recovery. To those looking for a medication to assist, I know this one works.”

a must have. March 27, 2014

Topamax (topiramate): “It helps. For me it wasn't so much the appetite suppression that worked, but the way it makes me more conscious of the situation before I binge. Its makes me stop in the middle of the binge or just before completely, and ask myself whats up with the need to hit the self destruct button. In case that I do binge on Topamax, my binges consists of less food when. And I eat slower, defeated by the situation.”

Nikki · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2020

“I was prescribed Topiramate for my binge eating disorder and my doctor put me at 100 mg and I loved it! Then he took me off it. I thought I would be okay and I was not I gained about twenty pounds and started binging again. Now I’m back on Topiramate except I’m not seeing it do the same thing it did for before? Unless I’m just not being patient enough any advice? I felt like it worked right away the first time or maybe I’m just being too hard on myself.”

mkelly33 May 14, 2014

Topamax (topiramate): “I had been bulimic, anorexic for 15 years. I tried in-patient/ out-patient programs in the best places in Toronto, Canada .. and I did each 3-4 times. When I started Topamax, I could attend lunches at work and can honestly say I haven't binged at work this year (I am a teacher). In previous years, I binged and purged, 3-4 times a day. I know socialize and have friends. I do admit though that the meds have made me very, very, tired. I sleep in until about 1 or 2 pm on the weekends which brothers me a lot but I think its a small price to pay for the huge changes I've made.”

kaycp November 26, 2013

Topamax (topiramate): “I've tried Prozac and Effexor. I'm back on Topamax because it seems to be the only medicine that works for me. I never thought my bulimia would get this far, I'm 22 and I've been bulimic since I was 14. I'm done university, and it's been the hardest thing I've had to go through. I've had trouble finding a job and leading my life in the right direction...I wish this medication was sought out more for bulimia.”

carrie1978 March 29, 2019

“Just started 25 mg topiramate for weight loss and night time binge eating. I am 64 year old former social worker who has struggled with weight loss since age 16. History of depression for which I take 30 mg prozac. My lowest weight was 120lb and highest was 173lb. Currently I am 167. Unlike many people topiramate keeps me awake at night plus early morning awakening. It has been 16 days and still no relief with the insomnia. I take the pill at 4:00 PM but tried taking it at noontime today. On the positive side it has decreased my cravings and appetite. I can sit and watch tv at night and not run back and forth into the kitchen. WOW. what a novel experience. So this is what it feels like to be normal with food? Still get up and eat at night tend to eat healthy, although last night I got into the cookies . First time in 16 days . Not bad. I'm going to keep wait and hope I can sleep at some point. Anyone else with insomnia and did it go away over time?”

Ms treatment resistant September 10, 2014

Topamax (topiramate): “I was on Topamax 2x 50 mg worked perfect for 31 days, then the effect wore off, now I am on day 3, Dr. Increased dosage 100mg 2x per day, works perfect. I am cautious as I have been 6 months relapse free on 60 mg fluoxetine before the effects wore off. Will give an update. I have been on all other kinds of SSRIs or SNRIs, which had no effect. My history, I am 42 years old, I have treatment refractory Bulimia since 28 years, purging type. Start with AN with a simple diet, normal childhood, no trauma or abuse, two lengthy hospital stays in the 80s and 90s 5 years of CGJung psychoanalysis all to 0 avail. Learned a lot but have never been in recovery. I try anything to be better.”

Okaywhocareswhatmyname October 16, 2017

Topamax (topiramate): “I lost 10 pounds. I also almost went blind so after a month I quit and my vision returned. I quick cold turkey and had sleep paralysis with hallucinations. It was scary as heck. I was awake paralyzed, couldn't talk could not move. My hallucinations were I was in my room and something picked me up and threw me. Then something touched my back. A evil rabbit whispered in my ear. Then I woke up back on the other side of the room. This drug made me stupid as heck. I couldn't spell, talk or remember anything. My sleep paralysis scared me for life and I still think of the realistic dreams I had for 6 days. Don't take this medicine. It is terrible.”

Ms treatment resistant · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 16, 2017

Topamax (topiramate): “Update: this is an update to the previous review, see below. I have been on topiramate and 20 mg prozac since 3 plus years now. I have been tapering on and off all meds and have to say the combo 20 mg prozac with 100 mg topiramate twice daily does work best. It is not perfect, but I am better. Since I am still quite symptomatic I will have an upcoming visit yet another psychiater who is screening ,me for adult add. There is a possibility that if this is the case a stimulant might actually help me out (after 35 years of treatment refractory anorexia and bulimia nervosa). I keep updated.”

newmind · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2019

Topamax (topiramate): “It's been 3 weeks since I started taking Topamax 50mg daily. All soda and carbonated drinks taste disgusting. I can no longer taste salt or sugar either??? I tried making mashed potato for my family and nearly gave them all strokes due to the heinous amount of salt I added. Yet I could barely taste it. Also. My memory is even worse than it was. I don't even remember 3 days out of this passed week. I blinked. And now it's the weekend. And I've lost 2kg! So far so good.”

TopaChicki November 16, 2017

“I've been struggling with an eating disorder and weight loss for years! Not eating all day, binging, and getting rid of it all. I was put on topamax to attempt to get rid of these urges. The first week in topomax I was on 25mg in the morning and 25mg at night and had minimal side effects and no effect on my appetite and no weight loss . I did however have bad diarrhea and was a bit 'slow' I bumped it up to 50mg morning and 50mg night the next week with the same results, but no side effects ( felt like I was taking sugar pills) Feeling annoyed.... the next week I bumped it up to 100mg am and 100mg pm and I was amazed!! Immediately my cravings for sweets went away completely! I did not want to binge! Now I'm eating small healthy meals and losing weight! Love it”

KaylaMarie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 12, 2016

“I been on this medication for almost a year and a half. I'm twenty years old turning twenty one and struggled with bulimia roughly for ten years now. I was in a treatment center when I was younger for a while, nothing really helped my bulimia. Therapy, nutritionists etc. All the work, DBT everything..honestly it wasn't until I started slowly on this medication. Now on 100mg and taking it with Wellbutrin XL 150mg (I also suffer from other issues) I find myself doing ALOT better..I'm seeing a nutritionist too along with therapy but really my medication has helped. Its great.”

Anonymous April 9, 2009

Topamax (topiramate): “I have been suffering with bulimia for five years. I am 22 years old and a college student and I will take the memory loss, there is always spell check. I cannot describe the pain I go through, the guilt, the shame, and I never ever really thought it would get to this point, five years. I know someone's mom who is dying that has has several organ transplants and has been bulimic for over 30 years. I don't want that to be me. I can't stop. I never wanted it to get this far. With Topamax I am gaining weight. It works, it's like instant gratification.”

kitty October 2, 2018

“I was just prescribed this because I’ve struggled with bulimia since I was 12 I binge like crazy and with my anti depressants it’s even worse I gained 10 pounds in a week, 30 since June and it’s the first of October now. I started it tonight , 50 mg , taking it with my oxcarbazepine , then Zoloft in the morning A few hours after I took it my hands felt a bit weird ? Kinda numb and then I felt a little sick but I had a really intense hunger, I hadn’t eaten much so I thought I’d try eating some granola but it made me feel like I wanted to hurl , I’m 190 btw and 5’3 I’ll update u guys”

doyourresearch September 27, 2009

“As I type this it is hard to relay it understandably because of the Topamax. I researched Topamax and heard it suppressed eating and stabilized mood which I figured would helped my bulimia, which I have been getting help for and am in recovery for. The Topamax definitely suppresses the desire to eat and have cravings which is great. You do lose weight. However, it created other problems. I didn't realize it but I was increasingly having a harder time talking to people. I can't do homework, write papers, and my relationship with my boyfriend- we ended breaking up. My hair falls out. I had bad anxiety, I thought I was going insane. I then researched side effects of Topamax and now realized this is what I am experiencing. I'm getting off.”

Fish September 6, 2020

“I've tried topamax before with good results. But alzheimers runs in my family so I I didn't want to risk staying on it long term. I've got back on and its day 3 and this time I'm not noticing anything this time. Still binge eating at night”

Anonymous June 26, 2010

Topamax (topiramate): “I think this medication is very helpful it prevents the binges which then prevents the other behaviors. Side effects rough at first.”

Learn more about Bulimia