User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Qudexy XR, Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR

Learn more about Topiramate.

Topiramate Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Topiramate to treat Fibromyalgia

Topamax (topiramate): "I took this for my chronic central pain state and it was a very effective pain killer as long as Tapentodol not taken simultaneously, then skin itch develops at low dose of EXTENDED RELEASE (capsule) 100mg nocte and 50mg morning. The itch was severe by time dose increased to 200mg am and nocte but no,other side effects except possible responsible for my delayed circadian Rythm disorder. Waking constantly before 4am sleeping 4-11am so very inconvenient, but others side effect free and a good pain killer. Remember to check if you have been prescribed the normal tablets or extended release capsules and that pharmacy has given you the correct kind."

MZApzap (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given Topiramate for a list of conditions including Fibromyalgia, Migraines, Weight Loss, and tremors. I was prescribed only 25 mg 1 X a day. As for side effects, I have found that many foods do not taste the same including yogurt and cottage cheese. They tasted old or out dated. I don't usually drink carbonated beverages, but those I have, tasted fine. I had a decrease in appetite beginning the first month, but only realized it upon looking back after a weigh in at my doctors office where I had lost 20 lbs. I had no migraine episodes during that first month, my Fibromyalgia had improved only slightly and my tremors improved also slightly. After 6 months, I had lost a total of 30 lbs with out trying as my appetite had decreased."

Mississa (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "Diagnosed with fibro and CFS after car accident. Began to get vertigo, light and sound sensitivity on top of all the usual symptoms. They would stay for weeks. Found out eventually it was aurora of migraine. Topamax sorted me out. No more brain fog, vertigo, audio or photo sensitivity. The tiredness also lifted, I can stay awake all day but can't over do it. Pain still there though but I feel so normal after so many years of disfunction it's unbelievable. It's like someone unscrambled me!!! I'm on 175mg. 100mg in morning, 75mg in afternoon."

Áinej (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "I was put on this medication for fibromyalgia and basilar type migraines by my neurologist in high school. I originally went off of it because I could not handle the side effects. I was then bullied by my mother & doctor into going back on to it because "it was my only option". I became face blind, could not navigate my way around even with a map, memory difficulties. issues doing simple math, became asexual & had no motivation to interact with people. Towards the end of my time on topamax I was so depressed that I would just sit despondently. I switched doctors and she immediately stopped it. The side effects went away after stopping the first time but after the 4yrs on it I still have some side effects that haven't completely gone away."

Headachpanda (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "Miracle drug! The side effects can be daunting at first, like tingling/numbness in extremities that won't stop for hours, but if you increase your water intake substantially and power through, it's totally worth it. My daily tension headaches are 90% gone, which is huge for me. It didn't do much in terms of overall muscle pain reduction or the daily body aches, but I did lose over 30 pounds in four months. I stopped drinking all carbonated drinks (because it makes them all taste super flat weirdly) and definitely am not as hungry as I used to be, so that's just a bonus."

Lynn Y. January 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on this for my fibromyalgia and all I do is sleep and still in pain. I would rather be awake and somewhat enjoy the holiday. It also makes me walk like I'm drunk! This is on a do not take list"

Sleep all the time December 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor prescribed it for pain, but after taking only three pills I was dizzy, confused, I couldn't finished my sentences, I felt like I had had a stroke. I was in such bad shape. My daughter came over right away and took me to the hospital. They did a CAT SCAN because they thought I had a stroke. I THINK I DID!!!!!!! I AM WRITING THIS FROM THE HOSPITAL. DONT TAKE THIS MEDICINE!!!"

It Put Me In The Hospital (taken for less than 1 month) October 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worked like a dream! I went off of it because I didn't like some of the side effects, and my Fibro symptoms came back with a vengeance, crippling pain... bedridden most of the time, etc. I'm going back on next week. If you take this drug DO drink a lot of water as instructed to avoid kidney stones. I didn't drink hardly any water and got a stone. Also, I didn't have ins when on it so had to get a card from manufacturer (free). As for effectiveness.. it worked for me!"

Ella Boo Bella (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "I love this medicine. My Dr originally gave it to me for weight loss but it got rid of all my joint pains. I had it everywhere. It was a miracle drug for me. I am noticing some memory loss, and difficulty concentrating but I'm 52 so it could be age. I'm going to cut back on the dosage and see if I notice changes."

Turn1964 June 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am getting ready to start this medicine so thanks for all the information. I also have tried everything with no real help. I also had bad HAIR LOSS for years now. And am not sure what causes it but have found a fix. Onion juice. I liquidity a onion with olive oil. The smell will be horrible, put it on all over hair an scalp. Leave on for an hour or more. Shampoo with dawn dish soap good twice an sock hair twice with vinegar. This will take care of smell. The results were immediate and awesome. Now instead of a hand full of hair with my shower I only have a few strands. I done this two weeks in a row, now I'm gonna go to once a month."

Bokeys May 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have took Lyrica and it did not help but trokendi xr has helped my fibro more than any med the Dr. Has ever given me. It needs to be used more often, because it really helps."

Lana Isaacs May 8, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Make sure to start with low dosage, or it will make you sick. Had less stiffness right away. Still some pain, but nothing like before. Somehow, it helped reduce my asthma symptoms. First time I slept 7 hours in a row since my car accident 5 years prior. Lost 20 lbs easily, but I had to stop taking it due to side effects. It makes certain foods taste terrible; gave me a constant pins/needles/numbness feeling in my hands and feet; dropped things more often; handfuls of hair fell out; sweat turned orange; dumb as box of rocks. All this yet it worked better than anything else I'd taken."

CalendulaBishop January 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "The thing I noticed is 90% of my outbreaks went away, however the other 10% were more severe. If you can group that other 10% of the time with a powerful pain medicine then making it through this is not as hard as it use to be. I had been taking other opioids for other conditions that did nothing to help fibro until topamax."

Bobby Johnny doe December 1, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "Highly negative experience. Was treated for migraines with this medication, however I ended up with severe depression and suicidal behaviours. It became so bad I could not be left in our house alone. I had muscle atrophy and injured myself just from trying to walk. One broken foot and 3 back injuries. Worst medication I have ever taken; it almost killed me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "Very sick and dizziness"

ryan726363 September 30, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "Topamax was a miracle drug for me! It helped with my Fibromyalgia pain & headaches. I would definitely recommend this drug. I have to stop taking it now due to the development of kidney stones. I wish I could stay on it as it improved my life by 90%. I'm a 59 year old female. I have had fibromyalgia for 23 plus years."

Burps (taken for 10 years or more) June 24, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on it all! Cymbalta, toparite, Lyrica and Nexium. Also, Inderal. Still am for that matter! Fibro kicks butt and I don't know which one works and which one doesn't at this point. I do know I am losing my hair and my nails are peeling off! If anyone has any suggestion as to which drug might be doing this please help! I can't find this as a reaction to any of them."

tryingitall (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I do not tolerate Neurontin or steroids well. They blow me up like a balloon. Topamax, along with Cymbalta has given me excellent relief with little side effectcs. Yeah to no more invasive injections and cankles!"

lisaa s March 27, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Topiramate for 6 months, I feel I have given it a good try...but the side effects are not going away. I have so many and I know it is not doing much for my pain so today I am going to have to go on yet another different med, have been on so many. The one good thing , I lost 60 lbs. but I sure suffered so bad for it. I have to go to a Pathtologist for the blisters on my tongue that the doctors figure are not caused by the medicine and yet it is listed twice as a side effect. Thanks for listening to me."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 19, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "This medication in combination with other medicines gave me my life back. I had unsuccessful or allergic reactions to other meds that I had tried. I thank my doctor and this medicine every day for giving me my life back."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 26, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Topamax Sprinkle (topiramate): "Not a good fit for me. Did not alleviate my symptoms and increased thoughts of death and feeling of hopelessness. Also experienced chronic urinary tract infections."

D1954 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have tried a lot of different medications for fibromyalgia. Some work but cause significant weight gain. This one works significantly well. I actually stopped taking it for 3 months because my I didn't have insurance, and my body felt HORRIBLE. It became WORSE AND WORSE. I started taking it again and I felt SO much better. For those of you that truly experience the extreme fatigue and pain from fibromyalgia, I strongly recommend trying Topiramate."

DogLover425312 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 22, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "Took away 95% of my pain"

barbiedee (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 13, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "I was on Topamax for almost a month, but I had to stop because of the painfully tingly feet. It didn't do much for my pain overall either. I was also taking it to curb my appetite and for PMDD, but my appetite was the same or worse and it did nothing for the PMDD (might have actually made it worse!). We tried this because Geodon worked well for my PMDD but suddenly stopped working after 4 years (and gave me tardive dyskinesia)."

angziety (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "Helps with sleep and weight loss"

Holycats7 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 31, 2013