User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Qudexy XR, Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR

Learn more about Topiramate.

Topiramate Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 36 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Topiramate to treat Fibromyalgia

Topamax (topiramate): "I love this medicine. My Dr originally gave it to me for weight loss but it got rid of all my joint pains. I had it everywhere. It was a miracle drug for me. I am noticing some memory loss, and difficulty concentrating but I'm 52 so it could be age. I'm going to cut back on the dosage and see if I notice changes."

Turn1964 June 2, 2016

"I am getting ready to start this medicine so thanks for all the information. I also have tried everything with no real help. I also had bad HAIR LOSS for years now. And am not sure what causes it but have found a fix. Onion juice. I liquidity a onion with olive oil. The smell will be horrible, put it on all over hair an scalp. Leave on for an hour or more. Shampoo with dawn dish soap good twice an sock hair twice with vinegar. This will take care of smell. The results were immediate and awesome. Now instead of a hand full of hair with my shower I only have a few strands. I done this two weeks in a row, now I'm gonna go to once a month."

Bokeys May 13, 2016

"I have took Lyrica and it did not help but trokendi xr has helped my fibro more than any med the Dr. Has ever given me. It needs to be used more often, because it really helps."

Lana Isaacs May 8, 2016

"Make sure to start with low dosage, or it will make you sick. Had less stiffness right away. Still some pain, but nothing like before. Somehow, it helped reduce my asthma symptoms. First time I slept 7 hours in a row since my car accident 5 years prior. Lost 20 lbs easily, but I had to stop taking it due to side effects. It makes certain foods taste terrible; gave me a constant pins/needles/numbness feeling in my hands and feet; dropped things more often; handfuls of hair fell out; sweat turned orange; dumb as box of rocks. All this yet it worked better than anything else I'd taken."

CalendulaBishop January 19, 2016

Topamax (topiramate): "The thing I noticed is 90% of my outbreaks went away, however the other 10% were more severe. If you can group that other 10% of the time with a powerful pain medicine then making it through this is not as hard as it use to be. I had been taking other opioids for other conditions that did nothing to help fibro until topamax."

Bobby Johnny doe December 1, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "Highly negative experience. Was treated for migraines with this medication, however I ended up with severe depression and suicidal behaviours. It became so bad I could not be left in our house alone. I had muscle atrophy and injured myself just from trying to walk. One broken foot and 3 back injuries. Worst medication I have ever taken; it almost killed me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 21, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "Very sick and dizziness"

ryan726363 September 30, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "Topamax was a miracle drug for me! It helped with my Fibromyalgia pain & headaches. I would definitely recommend this drug. I have to stop taking it now due to the development of kidney stones. I wish I could stay on it as it improved my life by 90%. I'm a 59 year old female. I have had fibromyalgia for 23 plus years."

Burps (taken for 10 years or more) June 24, 2015

"I've been on it all! Cymbalta, toparite, Lyrica and Nexium. Also, Inderal. Still am for that matter! Fibro kicks butt and I don't know which one works and which one doesn't at this point. I do know I am losing my hair and my nails are peeling off! If anyone has any suggestion as to which drug might be doing this please help! I can't find this as a reaction to any of them."

tryingitall (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2015

"I do not tolerate Neurontin or steroids well. They blow me up like a balloon. Topamax, along with Cymbalta has given me excellent relief with little side effectcs. Yeah to no more invasive injections and cankles!"

lisaa s March 27, 2015

"I have been on Topiramate for 6 months, I feel I have given it a good try...but the side effects are not going away. I have so many and I know it is not doing much for my pain so today I am going to have to go on yet another different med, have been on so many. The one good thing , I lost 60 lbs. but I sure suffered so bad for it. I have to go to a Pathtologist for the blisters on my tongue that the doctors figure are not caused by the medicine and yet it is listed twice as a side effect. Thanks for listening to me."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 19, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "This medication in combination with other medicines gave me my life back. I had unsuccessful or allergic reactions to other meds that I had tried. I thank my doctor and this medicine every day for giving me my life back."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 26, 2014

Topamax Sprinkle (topiramate): "Not a good fit for me. Did not alleviate my symptoms and increased thoughts of death and feeling of hopelessness. Also experienced chronic urinary tract infections."

D1954 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2014

"I have tried a lot of different medications for fibromyalgia. Some work but cause significant weight gain. This one works significantly well. I actually stopped taking it for 3 months because my I didn't have insurance, and my body felt HORRIBLE. It became WORSE AND WORSE. I started taking it again and I felt SO much better. For those of you that truly experience the extreme fatigue and pain from fibromyalgia, I strongly recommend trying Topiramate."

DogLover425312 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 22, 2014

Topamax (topiramate): "Took away 95% of my pain"

barbiedee (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 13, 2014

Topamax (topiramate): "I was on Topamax for almost a month, but I had to stop because of the painfully tingly feet. It didn't do much for my pain overall either. I was also taking it to curb my appetite and for PMDD, but my appetite was the same or worse and it did nothing for the PMDD (might have actually made it worse!). We tried this because Geodon worked well for my PMDD but suddenly stopped working after 4 years (and gave me tardive dyskinesia)."

angziety (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2013

Topamax (topiramate): "Helps with sleep and weight loss"

Holycats7 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 31, 2013

Topamax (topiramate): "I was put on Topamax 2 months ago after a serious car accident that left me in a flare up of my fibromyalgia. I have not reacted well to medications in the past and have had serious reactions which lead to serious consequences to the other meds I was on. Topamax has been the only medication that I have been able to tolerate well. It does take a while for it to start working though and I have had a few side effects but none that I'm not willing to put up with and 2 of them have gone away since I have started the Topamax."

tinkerbell420 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2013

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "WEIGHT LOSS GREAT but hair loss is not worth it"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 20, 2012

Topamax (topiramate): "Had cognitive thought and short term memory loss issues. "

efloyd105 December 16, 2011

Topamax (topiramate): "This medication made me very anxious and caused panic attacks."

Anonymous August 15, 2011

Topamax (topiramate): "I didn't like Topamax. I became very paranoid, anxious and since I have been off of it I still have mild side effects from it. Not a good experience. Glad it works for some."

gallardond August 10, 2011

Topamax (topiramate): "This has been a wonder drug for me when combined with Cymbalta. I have suffered for years and had been on narcotic pain killers. The pain had finally gotten so bad that even those weren't working. I work in Pre-K and didn't want to give up my job to become a disabled person living at home on pain killers. I found an awesome Doctor who understood that I didn't want to live on those types of medications. After only two visits she tapered me off of the medicines I was on and started me on Topamax along with Cymbalta. That is all I take. No more pain! Life is wonderful again."

ponygal1963 April 28, 2010

151 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Topamax (topiramate): "It's a wonder drug - my daughter takes it and lost so much weight. Her headache's are gone, she feels like a million bucks."

mommarae December 21, 2009

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I used Lyrica for six months and gained ten pounds a month. I have been off of the Lyrica since April and have only lost 15 pounds. Recently started 100 mg of Topamax at bedtime and this is the answer! It actually will encourage the body to shed weight and have lost six pounds. Pain has gone from an intolerable 7 or 8 on the pain scale to about a 3. This is what I have been praying for."

W.Wikoff November 23, 2009