User Reviews for Topiramate to treat Bipolar Disorder

Also known as: Topamax, Trokendi XR, Qudexy XR

Topiramate has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 112 ratings for the treatment of Bipolar Disorder. 67% of those users who reviewed Topiramate reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Topiramate Rating Summary

7.2/10 average rating

Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Topiramate

Jemma-m · Taken for less than 1 month December 27, 2020

“Started taking topiramate. Christmas night was first night I started itching. I took my Atarax calmed it down went to sleep 2nd night I took it same thing, But I also woke up @ 2:30 and my mouth was sore and my tongue felt like it was burning sensation and I was itchy all over”

Mag · Taken for less than 1 month August 16, 2020

“Started topamax 50mg 2 weeks ago for bipolar 1 . I’m loosing weight like crazy due to no appetite at all. Not complaining!! I’m a little irritable, okay a lot. Hopefully that will go away. Hands and face are tingling which I can deal with. The only thing I really HATE is I can’t sleep! Even with Remeron and seroquel together at night I’m still waking up all night and waking up stupid early. Probably why I’m so grouchy. Gonna give it 6 more weeks and if the sleep thing doesn’t change I’ll have to switch meds once again. Good luck to you all!!”

Looney Tunes · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 25, 2020

“I enjoyed your comments GOLDCT. I take 200mgs daily for past 3 to 4 months and so far, pretty good. It has me loosing weight so the fact that it makes you shed some is something to watch in every way. I experience several symptoms but its nothing I can't handle in exchange for some stability ya know? The brain fog stuff gets me...yet again, praying the good I get out of Topamax continues. Take care you all!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 26, 2012

Topamax (topiramate): “I switched to Topamax from Lamictal to see if it would control my bipolar disorder and help me lose weight. My mood and sleep have been incredible and I have lost 15 lbs in 6 weeks on Topamax. I was a little worried about having memory problems but have not suffered this side effect at all. Have a little tingling in my feet at night but not bad enough to stop taking it. Overall I highly recommend this medication for bipolar disorder.”

adoptionsworker March 27, 2013

Topamax (topiramate): “I have had a good experience after trying to find the right cocktail for several years. I have a very high-stress job and my anxiety is put to the test daily. It is not clinically significant at this point and I can only attribute that to finally having my medicines right. I am taking Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Topamax and Zoloft at pretty low dosages for each. I did lose about 70 pounds. After over a year on the Topamax, my normal appetite has started to return and I have gained back about 10 pounds, but I still have self control that I lacked when I was fighting depression which is now at bay.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more August 16, 2012

Topamax (topiramate): “I took Topamax for 12 years as a mood stabilizer for Bipolar 1 disorder. It is a GREAT mood stabilizer and I used to be quite heavy and I lost 100 pounds in around 6 months (yes you read that right!). The bad part was HORRIBLE side effects. Constant itching in the summer. I developed a 9mm kidney stone when I had no prior history. I developed a blood disorder (something acidosis, was told this was a rare side effect, but that was why I stopped taking it. However, if I could go back in time would I still take it? You bet! One of the best mood stabilizers I've ever been on. Just make sure you EAT when taking it, it makes you not want to eat.”

annie2belle September 6, 2011

Topamax (topiramate): “I have taken Topamax for bipolar twice. First for three years then now for a year. Do not know why I ever went off! This has been great for me after 25 years on lithium which was like living under 4 wet wool blankets. I also tried Depakote which only increased the weight gain and depression. At first, the side effects were a bit rough even at the initial very low dose of 25 mg. Very sleepy and tingly of hands and feet. BUT they pass, they really do. It may take a week of just being exhausted even when you increase your dose. The appetite depressant is wonderful. Also cuts down on general anxiety. Takes the real edge off the hypomania. I have not had any of the problems with finding words, etc. ”

Kylee October 10, 2019

“I have taken topamax 200mg 2x daily since 2006. I tried several meds for rapid cycling bipolar and side effects were awful. My experience is topamax works great for bipolar. I will not change. You must not vary. If I miss or forget I feel immediately sensitive and emotional and will be prone to depressive behavior or worse manic with depressive moods and all over the place. For myself the side effects improved over time ..after you make it through the tingling toes and fingers in the first month. And also that brain fog and searching for the right word. I've learned how to stimulate my brain and not feel like I'm always reaching for an adjective I used to know. For me..my body adjusted. And it is so worth it compared to other drugs side effects like muscle jerking or gaining 40 lbs or being a zombie and feeling nothing. My first episode is something I never want to happen again. I will never switch to another med 13 years on it and I'm great. My therapist says I'm the highest functioning bipolar patient she has ever met!”

Steph B · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 13, 2014

Topamax (topiramate): “I have been taking Topamax for mood disorder for the past six months along with my antidepressant and anxiety meds and I thinks it's GREAT! It's improved my mood so much with no side effect. I recommend it to anyone.”

Ldonut November 7, 2014

Topamax (topiramate): “I've been on Topamax before and it worked and went off I don't know why. I recently went back on it and it has made a world of difference. It's like night and day. I take it with Abilify and Xanax because I have really bad anxiety also. I am 24 and was so depressed I wasn't leaving my apartment but now I feel like a new person like I want to go out and do things again. I'm not held back. I like that this medicine doesn't make me gain weight too because I've had that problem in the past, I lost 10 pound since I went back on it 4 weeks ago. The only thing I will say that is not great is it slows down my thought process sometimes and it gives me tingles in my hands and face but not all the time. The benefits outweigh those side effects greatly.”

GOLDCT · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 15, 2019

“Hello All I'd like to comment and say that I've had success with topamax. I take 100mg a day 50mg in the morning and 50mg at night. I take it for bipolar rapid cycling. I am 5'8 male who weighed 200 lbs. I have lost 20lbs over 4 weeks with exercise and the fact that topamax makes it real easy to not eat as much. I don't binge like I used to because I gained so much weight on zyprexa. I was able to cut back on my dose of zyprexa significantly due to the mood stabilizing qualities of topamax. Initially I had some depression starting the topamax but it subsided after a couple days and I feel amazing. This has helped my mood, my weight, my self confidence, and we'll being and my quality of life. I give topamax a ten out of ten. I recommend exercise to prevent the feet and hand tingles ”

Anonymous February 12, 2012

Topamax (topiramate): “Started taking this about a month ago to level out my moods. I noticed difficulty focusing at first but it stopped. I'm also having tingling hands, feet, and face occasionally but with the way this medicine works it's worth it. Since I've been on it I'm like a new person, this medicine is a God send. Try it.”

Bridget Wolfe · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 16, 2014

Topamax (topiramate): “Was put on Topamax for migraines a year and a half ago, I have had maybe one or two headaches since being on this medicine compared to the weekly migraines I was having before the Topamax AND I am down 80 pounds. I only take 100mg a day. I was just diagnosed with bipolar 1 and after reading this forum I am going to talk to my doctor and see if upping my dose will help with that since I've seen that it is helping all of you. I am feeling quite confident that this could be my medicine of choice for multiple ailments. Good luck to all in your search.”

Anonymous January 14, 2012

Topamax (topiramate): “I started this medication for weight lose, bipolar, migraines. Seems like it may just be perfect...hopefully. I just finished my first week and lost 3 pounds! I workout 5-6 days a week but due to antidepressants making me gain so much weight, regardless of my diet and exercise I am fat. So today stepping on that scale and seeing 3 POUNDS LIGHGTER! I am a very moody person but the medicine seems to be making it right, moods seem to be very level. And haven't had one migraine! No side effects other than weight loss and loss of appetite..can't complain about that!”

Zoe014 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 11, 2014

Topamax (topiramate): “I tried EVERY medication out there, I swear. It has always ended badly, bad side effects, bad combinations, etc. And because of that I have been more against taking meds. Once we finally figured out that depression wasn't my problem, and I was diagnosed with a mood disorder (unofficially Bipolar II since I'm still not 18), I'm finally on 75mg of Topamax, 20mg of Prozac, and then I take Adderall XR 30mg and Adderall normal 10mg and this combination has had any positive effect, without any negative side effects. I do think I have suffered from the side effect of memory loss and slow thinking, not enough to make me stop taking it though. It has helped me so much and I recommend to anyone who is having trouble finding medicines that work for them.”

Anonymous November 10, 2013

Topamax (topiramate): “I only took this drug for 3 days before ending up in the psych unit from a psychotic episode. I had never had one before, mind you. My Dr. warned me, also, when he gave me the Rx, to watch for symptoms of such an episode. He did not go on to tell me specifically what those symptoms would be like and I had no idea what this could entail. He said the drug had/has been known to cause these episodes. Just telling me to watch for symptoms though...by the time I starting having the symptoms, I was too paranoid to be able to do anything about it or even realize what was happening since I had never had such an episode. It was the scariest thing I've ever experienced in my life and I still have nightmares and anxiety about the things experienced in my head and thoughts during the time of the episode that lasted for 2 weeks, even while in the hospital. I would love to sue the pants off the makers and that doctor, who, by the way, when my mother called my doctor for help, he stated "Since she won't talk to me, I am not her doctor anymore as of this moment." I wouldn't get on the phone because I was in the middle of a psychotic episode and thought everyone was trying to kill me. Great doctor, huh?! DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Anon611 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 15, 2016

“It seems most people are fixated on the weight loss aspect, and I have lost my appetite, but I wasn't a big eater anyway. I just have the metabolism of a sloth! I am thrilled at the mood stabilising effects I am experiencing. Despite the 'shaky' evidence of topiramate as a mood stabiliser I am stunned that it is aactually working. I feel level, functional, calm. If I get a difficult feeling, I am able to pull myself out of it and rationalise better and return to centre more quickly. Life is easier. When I went on this a few months ago it was with the primary intention of losing weight, but now I am feeling so much better, striving for anorexic levels of thinness is not at the forefront of my mind. I am having no negative side effects.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 2, 2014

Topamax (topiramate): “Taking Topamax with Zoloft ... my first week was a tough but I feel so good. I have PTS, bipolar, depression, anxiety and in the 4 months I had three episodes and that's so good I was having episodes everyday. I feel good.”

l8rsbby · Taken for less than 1 month September 17, 2015

“Put simply, this stuff saved my life. I've been on nine meds to treat my suicidality associated with my ultra-ultra rapid cycling bipolar ii. the AAPS gave me tremors, seroquel made me a zombie, lithium made me suicidal, lamictal and saphris aggrivated my bulimia. My doc didn't want to use antidepressants for fear of driving me into mania. We thought we were out of options. I stumbled on topamax while looking at an NIH research study. I suggested it to my doc. he said, why the hell not? In three days my suicidality was gone, and I barely cycle at all any more. THIS IS A MIRACLE DRUG.”

JessY b August 20, 2015

“I was afraid to take this medication I went online and looked it up and read so many bad things about it hair loss memory loss etc ... I am so glad I went ahead and gave it a try for myself I think it's a miracle drug ! It's helped stabilize my mood, taken away my migraines and even helped me lose a few pounds !!! I haven't had any negative side effects at all from it ! I know it's effects everyone differently and for me personally it's been great I love it!”

manc_lover · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 30, 2014

Topamax (topiramate): “I've been on every medicine. I've had electroshock therapy. Medications don't really work for me very well. I'm only taking Lithium ER 450 mg right now cos my body can't handle more of it. I was taking Topamax for headaches, I thought, but my psychiatrist said it might help my mood. Been taking it for years. I didn't know that it did work for me until I stopped using it. I broke into a manic episode because I started taking that Garcinia weight loss thing, and I wasn't on the Topamax. Well, I guess Topamax DOES work. ”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 16, 2017

“I feel normal and am at my best functionality in years. I've been on 150 mg for 4yrs. I'm so grateful. Hypomania sustained and managed. I sleep 9hours a night ,I own my own business and am a single parent. I'm very calm.”

4grandkids July 14, 2008

Topamax (topiramate): “Have used Topamax for over 2 years, in conjunction with Wellbutrin. Never knew that life was quite like this. I am now almost 53 years old. To think that I lived so many years never being diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. I am so happy that life is so wonderful because of Topamax. Only side effect has been weight loss but, that really is a good thing. It is wonderful to be back at my true weight because the bipolar disorder is now managed.”

DD420 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 22, 2016

“I recently went back to the dr. for antidepressants. She wanted to put me on a mood stabalizer. Most of those cause weight gain so i said not if its going to make me huge. She gave Topamax. Said I will lose weight. Within about 6 months none of my clothes fit so I weighed myself. I was shocked I had gotten back down to numbers I haven't seen since I was a teen. 119-123. I'm 5'2" so to me that's perfect. Food is never on my mind unless my stomach starts growling. I forget to eat. This drug is great for people who have problems with weight. I don't get any other side effects. It doesn't make me a zombie. I take 50mg near bed time. I know it's for seizures & migraine. Sometimes mood. NEEDS TO BE FOR WEIGHT LOSS TOO. highly recommended!!”

Emmylou June 8, 2019

“I've been on Topamax about 20yrs for Bi-Polor. I went on it as a trail and I can honestly say I've never looked back. I take 400mg each morning, although I'm meant to take it in 2 separate doses, 200mg in the morning and 200mg at night, which I have never done. I came off it briefly when during my two pregnancies, although when I did get pregnant I was still on it and was concerned about birth abnormalities. Both of my babies were born perfect. My GP weaned me off it in both pregnancies during the 1st month after I found out I was pregnant. I was concerned about side effects of coming off it, but I didn't any. After both my babies were born I suffered with post-natal depression and went straight back onto it, meaning I was unable to breastfeed, but I knew I had to feel well to be a Mum. 20 years on I still take Topamax, its my life line, without it, or if I take it a couple of hours late I'll get a headache. Yes my hands and feet are always cold but to feel mentally stable is worth that!”

survivorofmoodstabilizers July 7, 2010

Topamax (topiramate): “I have taken Topamax for the last 8 months as a mood stabilizer. It has worked great, not only has it helped with my moods, but it also helped me lose more than 30 lbs without struggling to lose it. It was easy and great. I am happy again and I don't feel like I want to chew off everyone's head when I start to get irritable or around "that time of month". It's been a life saver.”

Penny__B May 16, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): “I was diagnosed bipolar 2 about 3 years ago. I am a 36 yr old female. I was originally given topamax 50mgs at night with seroquel 50mgs, as well as a variety of antidepressants and klonopin for anxiety. That worked great for awhile until it didn't and I weened myself off everything. DON'T DO THAT!! I had a horrible hypomanic episode followed by a 4 month depressive crash. I'm now on Latuda, Celexa, Klonopin, and my good buddy Topamax. I have had no serious side effects from Topamax. A little hair loss (more like extra hair in the brush) but it's only noticeable to me. Not bad. No word loss, no memory problems. I'm in grad school with a near 4.0 GPA. It helps me maintain my weight so the other meds don't affect me.”

Cradazd · Taken for 10 years or more June 6, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): “Miracle drug for me! I seem to have a bad reaction to every drug that is specifically for Bi-Polar! No, I'm not as creative as I was, but it's between being so high and then crashing so far down or a good steady me! I'll take this compared to a hospital any day.”

Learn more about Bipolar Disorder