User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Qudexy XR, Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR

Learn more about Topiramate.

Topiramate Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Topiramate to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I recently went back to the dr. for antidepressants. She wanted to put me on a mood stabalizer. Most of those cause weight gain so i said not if its going to make me huge. She gave Topamax. Said I will lose weight. Within about 6 months none of my clothes fit so I weighed myself. I was shocked I had gotten back down to numbers I haven't seen since I was a teen. 119-123. I'm 5'2" so to me that's perfect. Food is never on my mind unless my stomach starts growling. I forget to eat. This drug is great for people who have problems with weight. I don't get any other side effects. It doesn't make me a zombie. I take 50mg near bed time. I know it's for seizures & migraine. Sometimes mood. NEEDS TO BE FOR WEIGHT LOSS TOO. highly recommended!!"

DD420 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 22, 2016

"I couldn't tolerate apiprazole (Abilify) as a secondary mood stabilizer in addition to the lamotrigine, so they added 25mg, then 50mg of topirimate. It helped. A LOT. It stopped the ultradian mood cycling that occurred when they upped my lamotrigine up to 200mg, and it stopped the self-harming urge. ...Unfortunately, it seems to be causing kidney stones. I have a genetic predisposition as it is, and from what I've been told, it causes kidney stones anyway. Looks like they'll be taking me off shortly. I'm going to talk to my new doc about it, given he's the one that's skeptical, and see if there's something to be done about it. Because it really did help me personally. It kept me up at night, oddly enough, but I did lose some weight on it."

KittenCommander (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2016

"I took for a week 100mg and had massive amounts of bleeding in my stools any urine. Doctors first thought cancer but then saw I had just started this drug an took me off it straight-a-way. Within 4 days, everything went back to normal and all my tests came back clear. Frightened me something terrible. Doctors say only happens in less then 1% but can cause major hemorrhaging. Lost 10kg in one week. Took me two month to recover properly with weekly follow up blood tests."

JJ Miles July 27, 2016

"Absolutely horrible!! It wasn't until a yr of several tests, scans and a colonoscopy that made me go to another Dr and beg him to find out what was wrong with me. I never dreamed it was this medicine. I had lost 30 lbs but I had diarreha, funny taste in mouth, weak, hair loss, foggy, memory was bad, felt like my muscle mass was going down to nothing...my daughter said I was looking frail all the time. It started getting hard to get out of bed...this went on for a yr and a half.I was getting older and taking care of my elderly folks so I didn't read into it much. I'm so glad I switched drs...he noticed immediately what it was and told me to wean myself off of it."

Tiggerific June 26, 2016

"Was initially prescribed for weight loss and it started working on day one for that, also levels out mood swings and gives me a slight boost in energy, so far no memory or cognitive impairment, side effects are occasional light headedness when I stand up and occasional numbing in hands and feet, and decreased thirst, 25mg twice a day"

roymunsun May 21, 2016

"I started noticing the weight loss end of January. I weighed at 235 and was down to 220 in a month without trying to diet! Or excise. I was taking 100mg then up to 200, and now 300. I weigh 209 to this date. 26 pounds in 56 days. my mind is foggy, I feel like a zombie, some days I can clean for 5 hours, I have migraines when I've never had them before in my life, my knees are in pain, throat hurts, numb feeling over all my body. Doctors screw you over so be careful. I'm on a vegan diet for the past 5 days will update after another few months to see more of the symptoms and weightloss :)"

YoursT (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2016

"I am triating up to a dose of 300mg for PTSD. I've had no fuzziness or other issues, I'm sharp as ever and I've lost about 15 lbs so far, I was a muscular 140 lbs at 5'1", about a size 8 and now I'm about 126, still losing and down to a 6. I'm about to make the step up to 200mg. I went up in weekly steps of 25mg. My doctor told me this was best and that there is a serious skin condition and an eye disease that can result from jumping up to a high dose too quickly, so I suggest asking your doctors about a slow triation to achieve maximum benefit and avoid fogginess."

Andrea9797 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2016

"I was put on it plus Wellbutrin to stabilize my mood. For 3 months I was extremely nauseous, unable to eat a thing. I lost - 12kg's. The side effects were tingling in my hands and feet, a feeling that my head was being pulled to one side, metallic taste, extreme brain fog, loss of vocab (I sounded like an idiot, I could hardly string a sentence together), attention span diminished and extreme muscle weakness. I became socially anxious/awkward and still am. I developed a strange curry-like smell to me. I stopped when I fell pregnant and put on 24kg's, still holding on to 9kg's. It seems to have ruined my metabolism. I loved the appetite suppression (why I stayed on it) but won't go back on it, the side effects are too severe. And expensive"

BeanieMommy123 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 28, 2015

"It helps a lot"

roes (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2015

"I took this drug for two reasons. First to stop drinking so much and secondly to iron out my highs and lows. Let me say it worked wonders on both fronts. But getting to the sweet spot on the dosage is tough. On the way to the 150 mg daily dose which seemed to even me out and make me act right, it was super tough. I was more low. Suicidal even and I could give a damn about anything. But I know once I got to 150 mg. I'd stick to my plan of not drinking and be much more motivated and optimistic. It's nothing short of miraculous. The sad state of affairs is about a year and half in I developed some liver issue. Was it this drug? Was it something else? Who knows, but I had to go off. Ode to how much life sucks without this chemical optimism!"

Thankful for the reprieve November 27, 2015

"I have been on this med for 10 or more yrs.For my BPD, I also suffer with clinical chronic depression ocd suicidial tendancies major mood disorders and anything else they can thro at me! I had a sever break down 15 yrs ago and I believe something in my brain actually disconnected or fizzeled out! unrecoverable! i have tryied many meds for many symtoms. I have been on Toparimate for atleast 10 yrs i have not had weightloss from it, i was put on it for my borderline to controll my rage. I take Many different meds I beleive they are all fighting one another! Toparimate has effected my vision, motor skills, slowed down my thought process! blurred my desicion making and my ability to recognize reality from my on disorted thoughts!"

ravenswait November 6, 2015

"I took this medication for about 2 weeks hoping it would help my hypo mania . Some members of my family said it helped them. NOPE! Complete DISASTER for me. I could not stay on this thing for a month! The loss of appetite really sucked but I expected that I thought maybe I could look past that. But l went from 120 to 117 in 5 days. It did not help my mood it only made me dizzy and gave me uncontrollable jerky movements. I was forgetting words. I could not concentrate in school (senior in high school) Everything felt like a dream. I basically became really stupid. I was seeing flashing lights. It was bad. Once I got off of it everything I felt much smarter and better. I had many adverse effects to this medication."

Kayla1245r October 13, 2015

"I am bipolar ii with anxiety and depression but was put on topomax because I suffer from migraines. The first time was before I was diagnosed and I got severely depressed and had a suicide attempt. Within a week of getting taken off of it I was better. The second time I was put on it was after I was diagnosed and put on mood stabilizers and my doctor wanted to try it again because he thought my depression may have been from my bpd not the meds and it really did help my migraines. Same exact thing happened. Within a few weeks of being on it my mild bipolar disorder was uncontrollable. I wish I could be on it because it really helped my head and counteracted weight gain from my other meds but my body just cannot handle it."

Ellamarie (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 30, 2015

"I love the weight loss attribute to this drug. When at a dosage of 50 or 75 mg per day, I have felt happier. One day, I doubled the 50 mg dosage in the late afternoon. Note: This doubled dosage was done 4 MONTHS after initially being prescribed the medicine. 100 mg of generic Topiramate made me feel wired. An hour later, I could be found with a full cart at the grocery store.The manic in me had returned. This was not a coincidence. I took the dosage at 75 mg the following day out of curiosity.. The compulsive cleaner had returned. My b/f at the time watched me scrub away at an already squeaky clean countertop. This medicine eventually will also begin to make you stutter. You can fix this predicament by reading more. All in all, B rating"

Blonde and Dedicated (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 23, 2015

"Put simply, this stuff saved my life. I've been on nine meds to treat my suicidality associated with my ultra-ultra rapid cycling bipolar ii. the AAPS gave me tremors, seroquel made me a zombie, lithium made me suicidal, lamictal and saphris aggrivated my bulimia. My doc didn't want to use antidepressants for fear of driving me into mania. We thought we were out of options. I stumbled on topamax while looking at an NIH research study. I suggested it to my doc. he said, why the hell not? In three days my suicidality was gone, and I barely cycle at all any more. THIS IS A MIRACLE DRUG."

l8rsbby (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2015

"I'm ultra-ultra rapid cycling bipolar II and bul. been thru 6 mood stabilizers / APs / AAPs. My experience on those was disastrous.Lithium made me more suicidal, lamictal made me binge, destroyed my memory, didn't help my mood, seroquel put 20 #s on me and made me a zombie, didn't help my mood, latuda and abilify made me shake. I was terrified of weight gain on depakote/valproate/risperdal. I was at my wit's end, suicidal, and terrified that I wasn't going to live to my 33rd birthday, then I found NIH considers Topamax to be a mood stabilizer so I asked my pdoc about it. Within a week at 50 mgs I had a full day where I didn't cycle at all. I woke up feeling okay and stayed that way all day. I didn't cycle at all. Things are looking good!"

l8rsbby (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2015

"I was afraid to take this medication I went online and looked it up and read so many bad things about it hair loss memory loss etc ... I am so glad I went ahead and gave it a try for myself I think it's a miracle drug ! It's helped stabilize my mood, taken away my migraines and even helped me lose a few pounds !!! I haven't had any negative side effects at all from it ! I know it's effects everyone differently and for me personally it's been great I love it!"

JessY b August 20, 2015

"Be very careful with the dosing, less is more. Start slow, for me, I'm Bipolar 1 & 50 mg brought clarity but 100 mg. made word finding difficult."

Bipolar Bob (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 16, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "I had extreme vision changes, loss of memory, extreme depression with long crying spells, anger, and suicidal thoughts. I have tried it at 3 different points in my life and have had the same experience each time...NOT GOOD. I tried the medication 3 times because the doctor and I thought that perhaps the side effects were from a mix of other medications I took with the pill. I did have weight loss but it was not worth it at all. I could barely drive and soft drinks (although not really important) tasted amazingly disgusting. I had no warning about all of the things I might experience and it was horrible trying to teach middle school, raise two young children, do daily tasks, and drive. I've had friends get divorced due to side effects."

Been there and done that (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "I was diagnosed with bipolar depression about a year ago. I have been on topamax for that as well as migraine headaches for 8 to 9ish months now. The migraines went away, and I have lost about 40 pounds since taking Topamax! The only downfall is hair loss. I highly warn anybody taking this drug not to miss a dose or try weaning yourself off, because I have done both and ended up with very bad mood swings and will be crying on the floor one minute, then raging and angry, then it will be as if nothing happened."

Karley (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "Miracle drug for me! I seem to have a bad reaction to every drug that is specifically for Bi-Polar! No, I'm not as creative as I was, but it's between being so high and then crashing so far down or a good steady me! I'll take this compared to a hospital any day."

Cradazd (taken for 10 years or more) June 6, 2015

"I have been taking Topiramate for about 3 years for depression along with Viibryd. I did lose 30 pounds and do have some memory problems. But what I have discovered is, my hair has been thinning out. My hairdresser told me that she has been noticing the last 6 months that my hair is a lot thinner and has been wanting to tell me. This prompt to go on line to see if my medicine was the caused of this. The 1st few comments I started reading were people saying their hair thinning out. So I am going to assume this medication is culprit of my hair thinning. What do you think?"

Reze May 23, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "I was diagnosed bipolar 2 about 3 years ago. I am a 36 yr old female. I was originally given topamax 50mgs at night with seroquel 50mgs, as well as a variety of antidepressants and klonopin for anxiety. That worked great for awhile until it didn't and I weened myself off everything. DON'T DO THAT!! I had a horrible hypomanic episode followed by a 4 month depressive crash. I'm now on Latuda, Celexa, Klonopin, and my good buddy Topamax. I have had no serious side effects from Topamax. A little hair loss (more like extra hair in the brush) but it's only noticeable to me. Not bad. No word loss, no memory problems. I'm in grad school with a near 4.0 GPA. It helps me maintain my weight so the other meds don't affect me."

Penny__B May 16, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "I am bipolar I and went on topomax as an alternative to the awful weight gaining meds I have been subjected to in past. My anxiety went through the roof! I was crying constantly, my heart was pounding and I became fearful to leave the house. I love the 10 pd weight loss but not worth the anxiety and hair loss...sad I wanted it to work"

angelash65 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2015

Topamax (topiramate): "I can only describe my experience as horrendous. I was given topi max to balance out the severe anxiety and restlessness and insomnia I had on abilify. It had the opposite effect, after about three weeks taking it I developed severe fatigue, inability to swallow properly, paranoia and the anxiety and restlessness went through the roof, I have never been so close to ending it all to get out of the hell that had become my head. I stopped taking both abilify and topomax and resumed on my original aerogel. Within 24 hours all the symptoms of anxiety and suicidality had gone. A trully terrifying experience that nearly saw my children without a mother"

Lookingonthebrightside May 1, 2015