User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Qudexy XR, Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR

Learn more about Topiramate.

Topiramate Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Topiramate to treat Bipolar Disorder

"Started this as a mood stabilizer for my bipolar. I've been on it almost 30 days now, it has stabilized my moods for sure! Usually before my period I'm a monster. A crazy hormonal mess. I feel normal, not "flat". It's a double win for my constant headaches and hormonal migraines that are now gone too. Only side effects, minor pins and needle tingles in my toes and fingers which last seconds off and on and aren't even bothersome too me. It seems to happen with each increase I do."

Bugs31 (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My VA doctor started me on this medication for my PTSD, bipolar, mood disorder and alcohol abuse, I've been on this medication for two weeks, I'm 48, disabled combat marine, big guy 6'3 260lb I'm ramping up on this med, right now 25mg twice a day, and have gained 12 pounds, I crave food constantly, but not alcohol, I can't sleep very well but the constant craving of food and gaining weight brothers me, I get paid once a month started this on the 5th and now having to ration my food I don't eat everything before the month is up, I do have some fatigue, but mostly weight gain. I just started this med, but I'm happy I don't crave alcohol, and don't have rage attacks, thanks semper Fi"

Ironb (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on 50 mg of brand Topamax for two years and the cognitive impairment is significant. I often forget how to spell my last name, I don't remember events of just yesterday, and I can't spell anything anymore for the life of me. I take it for Rapid Cycling Bipolar I & went off it for two weeks to attempt to get my cognition back - by about the 6th day I started to show signs of mania and by day 8 I was full blown manic with psychosis. I'd do anything to get off this brain mush of a drug but it serves a purpose. Oddly, I never went into psychosis until this drug. Oh, and the days that passed without Topamax lead to the worst headaches ever. Buyer beware."

crazydude81 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was doing pretty well on Trileptal but was not happy with weight gain from AAPs. Greedily decided to ask my Dr to switch me from Trileptal to Topamax in hopes of some weight loss. There was none. I'm thinking this may be one of those meds that just doesn't work with me genetically. Was taking 50mg twice a day, and it was not doing a thing for my weight or moods. It was scary. The anger, irritability, crying, brain fog. I was scared of ending up in the psych ward, so I went back to my Trileptal and left the Topamax behind. Quit it cold turkey after getting back to my regular Trileptal dose. Mentally and emotionally, I'm already feeling better, however, I am having some terrible muscle aches and nausea from quitting the Topamax."

BBP007 (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been taking for 3.5 years. Total godsend when I first started during a depression; I felt a calmness I'd never felt before. Got the weight loss side effect, & eventually managed to drop the 70 lbs. that I'd gained from other mental meds (karma!). Starting side effects were hard: Was nauseous 1st week & felt like someone had kicked my butt; the successive titrations over the next few months were the same, minus the nausea, lasting a week or less. Side effects afterwards: I'll occasionally get pins & needles in fingers, slight name/word recall issues but no serious case of the stupids unless I go above 150mg, & constant thirst/ dry mouth. Only 8 stars cuz I'm not sure it's working anymore (possibly cuz pharmacy switched brands)."

Gone Bananas (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Topomax for bipolar II disorder, with lamictal. However Topomax has been a life saver for me. I tend to have racing thoughts and impulsive behavior, as well as bouts of irritability and anxiety, I am also on nuvival which can exacerbate anxiety and klonipine as needed. I am quite used to the cognitive changes, they do not make you stupid. Misconception. Intellectual level is unchanging. However, I had to learn to compensate for word find instances, word pronunciation and some fatigue. I should probably take half in day, but I have days fatigue but would rather not due an extra klonipin added to night dose. But this may be needed. Don't let the bad experiences stop you, we really have to experiment to find what works for us"

CM Sutton 1966 (taken for 10 years or more) April 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was for about a year on gen Bupropion 300mg (Wellbutrin), gen Lexapro 20/10mg & Clonazepam (0.5 mg).These kept me functioning for some time and pulled out of a very debilitating depression that kept me at home for a month. During this year, I still suffered from a lot of ups and downs, my anxiety was getting worse and worse, so my mood swings. I kept pushing my psychiatrist, she was skeptical about my mood swings but I knew there was more going on. I am now on 50mg of generic Topamax (it's definitely controlled my mood swings and a bit my anxiety), it's only been 2 months but I definitely feel a change. Planning on stop taking Lexapro. My Side effects: Weird tasting on (black sodas) and dizziness. A new one is phantom smells."

Nick1991 March 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Top. 50mg BID for about 3 weeks now. Let me tell you...!!! Psychosomatic or not it worked within days! I was never diagnosed with this bipolar yet my hubby always joked saying I was. I'm not too manic. I have anger, anxiety and procrastination issues. But I work my ass off and do my wifely/motherly/grandma duties. So I didn't realize how truly bad off I was till for some reason decided to try it when offered it . I'm actually a lil more comfortable in social atmospheres now than I ever have! I can get up with a plan and actually get stuff done! There was an invisible wall blocking me. I have a lot of pain that I can't afford to look into further tho. So far so good. The pins and needles suck."

Hopeful426 March 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After 31 years of misery, countless amounts of medications and bad side effects, feeling completely hopeless, & like I would never be happy Topamax has already started to change my life. I suffer from PTSD, Anxiety/Panic, & Mood Disorder. Although it doesn't do a thing for my anxiety or panic the difference in my mood is like night and day. I can not believe how calm and patient I have become already taking this medication. It has saved my life & the people around me!!"

AnonymousJ1C2 February 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I feel normal and am at my best functionality in years. I've been on 150 mg for 4yrs. I'm so grateful. Hypomania sustained and managed. I sleep 9hours a night ,I own my own business and am a single parent. I'm very calm."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After so many years of trying I finally start to function as a ( almost) normal human being. Topamax is my lifesaver."

DebsD January 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug almost killed me within the last four months that I have been on it after taking it for five years, and in my own personal opinion, it should be taken off the market!!! I have suffered from extreme soreness in my stomach, extreme exhaustion where I was sleeping almost all the time from being exhausted, dizzy, irritable, lightheaded, very hot hands and feet, swollen throughout my whole body, extremely agitated and angry (which is out of my true character, as i'm normally quite positive and happy) and I was waking up in the middle of the night with a horrible "quiver" in my throat that felt like oxygen was being cut off until I sat up and calmed down until it passed. THIS DRUG SHOULD BE BANNED!!!!!! IT'S POISON!!!"

Sunny.p. (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take this as a mood stabalizer it has really helped level out my moods"

austinsdad (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Following on from previous comment, I forgot to mention this medication is working wonders for my alcohol dependency. I used to drink an entire bottle of wine a night, now I have one or two very small glasses! It's incredible for someone with a long documented history of alcohol abuse. Marvellous stuff!"

Anon611 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It seems most people are fixated on the weight loss aspect, and I have lost my appetite, but I wasn't a big eater anyway. I just have the metabolism of a sloth! I am thrilled at the mood stabilising effects I am experiencing. Despite the 'shaky' evidence of topiramate as a mood stabiliser I am stunned that it is aactually working. I feel level, functional, calm. If I get a difficult feeling, I am able to pull myself out of it and rationalise better and return to centre more quickly. Life is easier. When I went on this a few months ago it was with the primary intention of losing weight, but now I am feeling so much better, striving for anorexic levels of thinness is not at the forefront of my mind. I am having no negative side effects."

Anon611 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I couldn't tolerate apiprazole (Abilify) as a secondary mood stabilizer in addition to the lamotrigine, so I titrated up to 50mg. It helped. A LOT. It stopped the ultradian mood cycling that occurred when they upped my lamotrigine up to 200mg, and it stopped the self-harming urge. It did, in combination with other things, cause kidney stones, but alone did not. It helped quite a bit in stabilizing moods, and I'm just upping to 100mg/night. It did a lot for me, and I'm glad my psych put me on it. I don't want to come off. No weight gain. Even some weight loss. I wasn't expecting it, but I am certainly not sad about it. I'd recommend it, but of course, everyone has different brain chemistry, as noted with my experience with Abilify. <== Nope."

KittenCommander (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I recently went back to the dr. for antidepressants. She wanted to put me on a mood stabalizer. Most of those cause weight gain so i said not if its going to make me huge. She gave Topamax. Said I will lose weight. Within about 6 months none of my clothes fit so I weighed myself. I was shocked I had gotten back down to numbers I haven't seen since I was a teen. 119-123. I'm 5'2" so to me that's perfect. Food is never on my mind unless my stomach starts growling. I forget to eat. This drug is great for people who have problems with weight. I don't get any other side effects. It doesn't make me a zombie. I take 50mg near bed time. I know it's for seizures & migraine. Sometimes mood. NEEDS TO BE FOR WEIGHT LOSS TOO. highly recommended!!"

DD420 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took for a week 100mg and had massive amounts of bleeding in my stools any urine. Doctors first thought cancer but then saw I had just started this drug an took me off it straight-a-way. Within 4 days, everything went back to normal and all my tests came back clear. Frightened me something terrible. Doctors say only happens in less then 1% but can cause major hemorrhaging. Lost 10kg in one week. Took me two month to recover properly with weekly follow up blood tests."

JJ Miles July 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Absolutely horrible!! It wasn't until a yr of several tests, scans and a colonoscopy that made me go to another Dr and beg him to find out what was wrong with me. I never dreamed it was this medicine. I had lost 30 lbs but I had diarreha, funny taste in mouth, weak, hair loss, foggy, memory was bad, felt like my muscle mass was going down to nothing...my daughter said I was looking frail all the time. It started getting hard to get out of bed...this went on for a yr and a half.I was getting older and taking care of my elderly folks so I didn't read into it much. I'm so glad I switched drs...he noticed immediately what it was and told me to wean myself off of it."

Tiggerific June 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was initially prescribed for weight loss and it started working on day one for that, also levels out mood swings and gives me a slight boost in energy, so far no memory or cognitive impairment, side effects are occasional light headedness when I stand up and occasional numbing in hands and feet, and decreased thirst, 25mg twice a day"

roymunsun May 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started noticing the weight loss end of January. I weighed at 235 and was down to 220 in a month without trying to diet! Or excise. I was taking 100mg then up to 200, and now 300. I weigh 209 to this date. 26 pounds in 56 days. my mind is foggy, I feel like a zombie, some days I can clean for 5 hours, I have migraines when I've never had them before in my life, my knees are in pain, throat hurts, numb feeling over all my body. Doctors screw you over so be careful. I'm on a vegan diet for the past 5 days will update after another few months to see more of the symptoms and weightloss :)"

YoursT (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am triating up to a dose of 300mg for PTSD. I've had no fuzziness or other issues, I'm sharp as ever and I've lost about 15 lbs so far, I was a muscular 140 lbs at 5'1", about a size 8 and now I'm about 126, still losing and down to a 6. I'm about to make the step up to 200mg. I went up in weekly steps of 25mg. My doctor told me this was best and that there is a serious skin condition and an eye disease that can result from jumping up to a high dose too quickly, so I suggest asking your doctors about a slow triation to achieve maximum benefit and avoid fogginess."

Andrea9797 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on it plus Wellbutrin to stabilize my mood. For 3 months I was extremely nauseous, unable to eat a thing. I lost - 12kg's. The side effects were tingling in my hands and feet, a feeling that my head was being pulled to one side, metallic taste, extreme brain fog, loss of vocab (I sounded like an idiot, I could hardly string a sentence together), attention span diminished and extreme muscle weakness. I became socially anxious/awkward and still am. I developed a strange curry-like smell to me. I stopped when I fell pregnant and put on 24kg's, still holding on to 9kg's. It seems to have ruined my metabolism. I loved the appetite suppression (why I stayed on it) but won't go back on it, the side effects are too severe. And expensive"

BeanieMommy123 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 28, 2015

"It helps a lot"

roes (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this drug for two reasons. First to stop drinking so much and secondly to iron out my highs and lows. Let me say it worked wonders on both fronts. But getting to the sweet spot on the dosage is tough. On the way to the 150 mg daily dose which seemed to even me out and make me act right, it was super tough. I was more low. Suicidal even and I could give a damn about anything. But I know once I got to 150 mg. I'd stick to my plan of not drinking and be much more motivated and optimistic. It's nothing short of miraculous. The sad state of affairs is about a year and half in I developed some liver issue. Was it this drug? Was it something else? Who knows, but I had to go off. Ode to how much life sucks without this chemical optimism!"

Thankful for the reprieve November 27, 2015