User Reviews for Topiramate to treat Bipolar Disorder

Also known as: Topamax, Trokendi XR, Qudexy XR, Topamax Sprinkle

The following information is NOT intended to endorse any particular medication. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners.

Topiramate Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 78 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Topiramate

Big Tasty · Taken for less than 1 month March 22, 2020

"Been on topiramate for a few days (bipolar). Feel drowsy all day despite taking adderall. Good for sleep. Fatigue is bad. Can't ejaculate so it is terrible but no tingling especially down below."

BiMe · Taken for less than 1 month December 10, 2019

"Used topiramate for 4 days and it was a nightmare. I didn't sleep well (even a week after I stopped my sleep is still not good). I felt extremely down (a lot worse), had really dark thoughts everyday. I couldn't stop eating sugar even if I was not hungry (like an alcoholic feels like with alcohol). I couldn't go out, I was extremely irritable, grumpy, even my clothes were bugging me. It completely stopped my menses (it's not back to normal yet). I will never touch this drug again and I don't recommand it."

Jess · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 18, 2019

"Worst medication side effects ever! Experienced sore throat for six weeks, severe mood swings, depression, major anxiety, night sweats, brain fogs, tingles of the hands and feet and the list goes on! Only positive was the weight loss! I'd highly not recommend this medication to anyone! It was such a nightmare experience."

GOLDCT · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 15, 2019

"Hello All I'd like to comment and say that I've had success with topamax. I take 100mg a day 50mg in the morning and 50mg at night. I take it for bipolar rapid cycling. I am 5'8 male who weighed 200 lbs. I have lost 20lbs over 4 weeks with exercise and the fact that topamax makes it real easy to not eat as much. I don't binge like I used to because I gained so much weight on zyprexa. I was able to cut back on my dose of zyprexa significantly due to the mood stabilizing qualities of topamax. Initially I had some depression starting the topamax but it subsided after a couple days and I feel amazing. This has helped my mood, my weight, my self confidence, and we'll being and my quality of life. I give topamax a ten out of ten. I recommend exercise to prevent the feet and hand tingles "

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 16, 2019

"I love Topamax! It has helped so much with my racy thoughts I have with my Bipolar. It even helps me sleep at night."

Kylee October 10, 2019

"I have taken topamax 200mg 2x daily since 2006. I tried several meds for rapid cycling bipolar and side effects were awful. My experience is topamax works great for bipolar. I will not change. You must not vary. If I miss or forget I feel immediately sensitive and emotional and will be prone to depressive behavior or worse manic with depressive moods and all over the place. For myself the side effects improved over time ..after you make it through the tingling toes and fingers in the first month. And also that brain fog and searching for the right word. I've learned how to stimulate my brain and not feel like I'm always reaching for an adjective I used to know. For me..my body adjusted. And it is so worth it compared to other drugs side effects like muscle jerking or gaining 40 lbs or being a zombie and feeling nothing. My first episode is something I never want to happen again. I will never switch to another med 13 years on it and I'm great. My therapist says I'm the highest functioning bipolar patient she has ever met!"

3den · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 8, 2019

"If you have had problems with eating disorders, PLEASE avoid topiramate. I have struggled with eating and weight loss for many years. I was prescribed this medication for sleep and as a mood stabilizer from a psychiatrist who didn’t know the severity of my eating disorder. The SEVERE abdominal pain, absolutely no appetite, weight loss, and for some reason sensory issues, has caused me to relapse. I only got up to 75mg. Please avoid if you are struggling with similar issues!"

Jen · Taken for 10 years or more September 22, 2019

"I have been on Topamax for 20 years/400mg each day and would love to hear about other peoples long-term experiences. I’m concerned about the long term affects and how much it is working after this long?"

Calisto · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 19, 2019

"Yes!! I'm almost 40 years old and have been diagnosed with Bipolar since I was 16 years old. I've been on SO many different antipsychotics that never helped with anything but weight gain. FINALLY, I'm on a great medication - Topiramate that has stabilized me!! I've only been taking it about 4 months but so far it's the best med for me. I do suffer some side effects, the worst being the painful tingling in my feet, but it's worth it to not be on that bipolar roller coaster or that dark downward spiral anymore."

Aleigh · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 26, 2019

"I take 50 mg at night and sleep really well following. After first being on 50 mg for a few days I became very depressed and had really dark thoughts about life so I dropped back to 25 mg and increased back to 50 mg by 12.5 mg increments. I no longer have that side effect and the medication is beginning to give me a sense of well being. I also get migraines so it's good for that too. Many bipolar meds can give migraines."

Cysadness · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 13, 2019

"Please if you want what’s best for your body run! It does what it’s suppose to for mood disorder and bipolar cool, but god forbid you stop taking it or miss a dose. You will go into a whirlwind of panic attacks and crying spells. When you sleep you will wake up nauseous, dizzy, with a sharp pain in your chest you can’t shake. Then you will have cramps and I personally couldn’t stop throwing up. I was hospitalized for 2 days. Fluids didn’t help. Nothing. I am scared for life. I am traumatized from the medicine itself :( I only stopped because I lost my insurance after my dad died I couldn’t go to my psychiatrist . Please just beware"

Laurence · Taken for less than 1 month June 15, 2019

"My psychiatrist put be on this before starting Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation to prevent mania, this was a treatment for chronic depression. Topamax made me feel worse than before, couldn't get out of it, so tired all the time. Also, the brain fog and the lack of focus made impossible for me to do my work. The last days I took the medicine I was severely depressed and had dark thoughts. If you start taking it, be careful and watch closely for adverse reactions."

Rezcan · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 11, 2019

"The topiramate actually really helped stabilize me and also helped me lose weight that seroquel had helped me gained on. However, no matter how much water I drank I had to stop taking topiramate because I had gotten two kidney stones in one month and they were getting bigger. This is really unfortunate because I really really loved this medication. It really helped me, but the kidney stone side effect is no joke."

Emmylou June 8, 2019

"I've been on Topamax about 20yrs for Bi-Polor. I went on it as a trail and I can honestly say I've never looked back. I take 400mg each morning, although I'm meant to take it in 2 separate doses, 200mg in the morning and 200mg at night, which I have never done. I came off it briefly when during my two pregnancies, although when I did get pregnant I was still on it and was concerned about birth abnormalities. Both of my babies were born perfect. My GP weaned me off it in both pregnancies during the 1st month after I found out I was pregnant. I was concerned about side effects of coming off it, but I didn't any. After both my babies were born I suffered with post-natal depression and went straight back onto it, meaning I was unable to breastfeed, but I knew I had to feel well to be a Mum. 20 years on I still take Topamax, its my life line, without it, or if I take it a couple of hours late I'll get a headache. Yes my hands and feet are always cold but to feel mentally stable is worth that!"

Bean · Taken for less than 1 month March 21, 2019

"Today is my first day on Topiramate. Reading the reviews has me extremely scared. I have a terrible time sleeping at night, have trouble controlling my mood and have gained a lot of weight due to depression and medication side effects. If anyone has any information about how this medication treats bipolar symptoms and sleep difficulties please comment. I’m only nineteen and have been medicated for bipolar for 2 years."

Canadia · Taken for less than 1 month January 27, 2019

"I was really hoping this was going to help, especially with the majority of the reviews being so positive. Within 5 days I was having speech problems, memory issues, and went into having self harm / suicidal thoughts. I threw it out 30 minutes ago. *** That does not mean this is a horrible option if you have been put on it. With medications like this it can be very trial and error, and will have different effects for different people. This was just my experience."

Grandma · Taken for 10 years or more November 8, 2018

"I was started on Topiramax for migraine, didn’t really help but shortly thereafter I was diagnosed with Bipolar I. Kept the T’max and went from 400 mg to 600 mg. It keeps me up at night, so I take it all at once in the AM. I also take Abilify and have not gained any weight. Only side effect is being cold frequently, especially my hands and toes. But I do remember starting slowly and thinking my head would explode at 50 mg, lol! Obviously, it didn’t."

Bipolar bipolar bipolar October 18, 2018

"I’ve used this medication two separate times for different reasons. The first was for a mood stabilizer. I was on it for around 10 months and I was hypomanic but didn’t realize it bc I was in school so I was putting the energy to good use. I ended up cutting my very long hair off to way above my shoulders with layers. It took 3 years to grow out. I’m still pissed.This most recent usage and more traumatic experience was when I added it to my daily meds for migraines. I took 25 mg of topamax for a week then 50 mg a day for 5 days. I stopped completely after having suicidal thoughts. I should have been more prompt to end the medication bc when I started it I noticed I was more alert and my heartbeat was more pronounced, but I really wanted it to work so I thought I just needed to get used to it. 3days after stopping the medication I checked myself in to the psych ward. Oh also I bleached my hair while on it and I hadn’t colored it in over 10yrs"

PolydactylKat · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 26, 2018

"I’m currently on Topamax 600mg/day for anxiety/OCD. I’ve been on this for many years for OCD as an off-label use and along with cognitive-behaviour therapy it’s a life changer. (Note: everyone is different and my friend who took this for anxiety had a side effect of extreme anger. I don’t have that whatsoever.) I do have the tingling but it goes away and when I get it I know it’s just the medication and it’ll subside. The big thing for me is memory loss. I work in film so instructions and continuity are important and it’s difficult to share with people that you’re on a medication that affects that without worrying about your career. Another thing is withdrawal. Always remember to renew your prescription ahead of time. This is important for anxiety because for me after day two of not having it I feel like I can’t leave the house. I’m glad my psychiatrist tried this on me. No sexual or weight gain side effects like SSRIs or SNRIs and for me it’s way more effective."

Emma September 23, 2018

"I take 150mg Topmax in the morning and 150mg in the evening for bipolar and it works wonders for me. The only side effect I have is occasional tingling/pins and needles in my hands and/or feet, which can be a bit irritating but I am willing to put up with it as I have lost nearly 2 stone in weight since being on this drug. All other medication for my bipolar made me put on a lot of weight so this drug has really helped me. I guess everyone is different and some people are more susceptible to the side effects, sorry to hear some of you are having a hard time on this drug."

greenwitch · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 8, 2018

"I'm a 35 year old female with rapid cycling bipolar 1 and anxiety. I take 250mg topirimate and 300mg quetiapine as mood stabilisers plus 300mg venlafaxine, 30mg buspirone, and 1mg lorazepam. Initial side effects were fatigue, brain fog, and loss of appetite. Fatigue eased up after two weeks but it can still be a bit tough to wake up in the mornings. Brain fog is much better but I'll occasionally misspell words when I'm writing or say the wrong one when I'm speaking. Appetite remains lower but I'm still able to enjoy a healthy diet. No new effects have sprung up. Like many of you, I've lost weight. It started when I began the tablets and the weight has stayed off. My mood cycles have basically stopped, leaving me functional and stable, and my symptoms feel under control. I'm not doing weird impulsive things, like constantly overspending while manic, generally being a nightmare, or having to deal with crushing depressive crashes. It's also great for preventing my migraines."

Stillsearching · Taken for less than 1 month May 20, 2018

"I was happy to be prescribed a bipolar medication that would not cause me to gain weight which the others had done, however; the minute I started taking topiramate I experienced bladder issues. It was pretty debilitating and painful so I had to stop immediately unfortunately. I can't comment on whether it would have worked mentally or not."

DL March 9, 2018

"This is the second time I have been on topamax, the first time was two years ago and I must say it helped me out a lot. I got sober, started eating healthy and working out, my mind was quiet and I was feeling a lot better. I suffer with depression, ocd, bed, bed, bipolar disorder (bpd) post traumatic stress disorder (ptsd) - catastrophizing in my head is a huge thing I like to do or just worrying. Anyways I became mindful and felt amazing and happy, I’m sure not all of this was from the topamax but it helped me get started but for some reason I was itching so I got off . This time I am on qudexy xr 200 mg for bpd/ptsd/mood/urges/motivation/energy/binge eating disorder I am noticing a good start again. more energy, getting up early, more motivated, mind distracted so I’m not in my head so much ( I am 34 and I sit home, don’t work, obsess about everything in a panic distressing state 24/7 everyday so the fact that I’m even getting out the house again is amazing."

Macmom · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 8, 2018

"I've been taking this drug for about 6 months now. I take it in combination with lamotrigine. I was concerned about weight gain as I was already heavy for me, but weight loss was certainly not my primary goal. For the first 3 months I felt really great I did lose weight consistently which I do think added to my feeling good. About 3 months ago I entered a pretty severe manic episode. It was probably one of the most intense ever. I am increasing my dose and it's early on with that. I'm headed to 250 mg per day. My husband and I are in hopes that this will help. My side effects of brain fog, fatigue, and dizziness, we're temporary. Other than that one bump in the road, I can honestly say this is been the most effective drug combination I've ever been on and I can't see myself switching again."

Jallo February 17, 2018

"On Topamax 8 years. 200 mg daily. Bipolar 1 with psychotic features. It levelled my moods and I lost 165 pounds in 20 months. Maybe a little brief mental fog rarely, but I can live with it."

Learn more about Bipolar Disorder

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)