User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Qudexy XR, Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR

Topiramate Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 80 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Topiramate to treat Bipolar Disorder

"This is the second time I have been on topamax, the first time was two years ago and I must say it helped me out a lot. I got sober, started eating healthy and working out, my mind was quiet and I was feeling a lot better. I suffer with depression, ocd, bed, bed, bipolar disorder (bpd) post traumatic stress disorder (ptsd) - catastrophizing in my head is a huge thing I like to do or just worrying. Anyways I became mindful and felt amazing and happy, I’m sure not all of this was from the topamax but it helped me get started but for some reason I was itching so I got off . This time I am on qudexy xr 200 mg for bpd/ptsd/mood/urges/motivation/energy/binge eating disorder I am noticing a good start again. more energy, getting up early, more motivated, mind distracted so I’m not in my head so much ( I am 34 and I sit home, don’t work, obsess about everything in a panic distressing state 24/7 everyday so the fact that I’m even getting out the house again is amazing."

DL March 9, 2018

"I've been taking this drug for about 6 months now. I take it in combination with lamotrigine. I was concerned about weight gain as I was already heavy for me, but weight loss was certainly not my primary goal. For the first 3 months I felt really great I did lose weight consistently which I do think added to my feeling good. About 3 months ago I entered a pretty severe manic episode. It was probably one of the most intense ever. I am increasing my dose and it's early on with that. I'm headed to 250 mg per day. My husband and I are in hopes that this will help. My side effects of brain fog, fatigue, and dizziness, we're temporary. Other than that one bump in the road, I can honestly say this is been the most effective drug combination I've ever been on and I can't see myself switching again."

Macmom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 8, 2018

"On Topamax 8 years. 200 mg daily. Bipolar 1 with psychotic features. It levelled my moods and I lost 165 pounds in 20 months. Maybe a little brief mental fog rarely, but I can live with it."

Jallo February 17, 2018

"Topirimate nearly killed me! I was put on it by a psychiatrist who never saw me again after prescribing it. I suffered severe weight loss and lack of appetite- I went from a healthy size 10 to 48 kg and was almost size zero. After discontinuing topirimate I began having bulimia symptoms and am sure I would have starved to death if I wasn't taken off it. It did not help my depression or other bipolar symptoms. It made me not able to empty my bladder properly resulting in kidney stones and severe urine infection. I would urge anyone considering taking this drug to do your research into physically devastating side effects carefully and only do so with regular monitoring by a psychiatrist and not for it to be left to GP to monitor."

Rted (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 3, 2018

"I have been on Topamax twice now. I don’t typically write reviews for medications, in fact, I never have. I took Topamax at 100mg along with Lamicital 100mg for Bipolar, I slowly titrated off my meds because my doctor and I thought I possibly could function without them. Bad idea. I spiralled into a terrible manic episode where I was sleeping less than 2 hours a night, even on high doses of Ambien and Lunesta. I finally was put back on Topamax 200mg this time and it has saved my life. I feel better than ever. Initially I was put back on 100 mg and I felt better, began sleeping 3-4 hours a night within a week. Went up to 200 mg and within 2 days was sleeping 9 hours a night and my racing thoughts and anxiety had completely gone away"

Jeaniefrancis October 13, 2017

"With side effects of many other meds being a problem I went on this as it worked well for my mom. Dr. explained that genetics play a part in medicine effectiveness as well as diseases. It had an immediate effect on my severe depression. It also helps with mild psychotic episodes during mania for me. (Voices, hearing noises that aren't there) There is a slight tapering of appetite for me that stabilizes after prolonged use. I also have to search for common words sometimes. Pins and needles in my hands and feet, especially when I'm driving or it's really cold outside. Extreme thirst and I rarely sweat, even when working out. ALL tolerable and SO much better compared to laying in bed all day long."

JferD September 22, 2017

"I was prescribed Topamax for my Bipolar as a mood stabilizer and because all my Paych meds have a side effect of weight grain and I had put on 60lbs in the last two years. So when my Dr. told me Topamax had weight LOSS as it's side effect I was beyond excited to try it and it has been nothing but smooth sailing. I was started at 25mg at night and moved up 25mg every week until now, three weeks in, when Im currently on 75mg and have lost 10lbs already! At 3+lbs a week! What this drug has done for me is curb my sugar and fast food cravings while eliminating my emotional eating and cutting my normal appetite in half. I've stopped all my addictions and binge eating even Alchohol. No bad side effects, but I am closely monitoring just incase..."

PennyHays (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2017

"Started this as a mood stabilizer for my bipolar. I've been on it almost 30 days now, it has stabilized my moods for sure! Usually before my period I'm a monster. A crazy hormonal mess. I feel normal, not "flat". It's a double win for my constant headaches and hormonal migraines that are now gone too. Only side effects, minor pins and needle tingles in my toes and fingers which last seconds off and on and aren't even bothersome too me. It seems to happen with each increase I do."

Bugs31 (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2017

"My VA doctor started me on this medication for my PTSD, bipolar, mood disorder and alcohol abuse, I've been on this medication for two weeks, I'm 48, disabled combat marine, big guy 6'3 260lb I'm ramping up on this med, right now 25mg twice a day, and have gained 12 pounds, I crave food constantly, but not alcohol, I can't sleep very well but the constant craving of food and gaining weight brothers me, I get paid once a month started this on the 5th and now having to ration my food I don't eat everything before the month is up, I do have some fatigue, but mostly weight gain. I just started this med, but I'm happy I don't crave alcohol, and don't have rage attacks, thanks semper Fi"

Ironb (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2017

"I've been on 50 mg of brand Topamax for two years and the cognitive impairment is significant. I often forget how to spell my last name, I don't remember events of just yesterday, and I can't spell anything anymore for the life of me. I take it for Rapid Cycling Bipolar I & went off it for two weeks to attempt to get my cognition back - by about the 6th day I started to show signs of mania and by day 8 I was full blown manic with psychosis. I'd do anything to get off this brain mush of a drug but it serves a purpose. Oddly, I never went into psychosis until this drug. Oh, and the days that passed without Topamax lead to the worst headaches ever. Buyer beware."

crazydude81 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 24, 2017

"Was doing pretty well on Trileptal but was not happy with weight gain from AAPs. Greedily decided to ask my Dr to switch me from Trileptal to Topamax in hopes of some weight loss. There was none. I'm thinking this may be one of those meds that just doesn't work with me genetically. Was taking 50mg twice a day, and it was not doing a thing for my weight or moods. It was scary. The anger, irritability, crying, brain fog. I was scared of ending up in the psych ward, so I went back to my Trileptal and left the Topamax behind. Quit it cold turkey after getting back to my regular Trileptal dose. Mentally and emotionally, I'm already feeling better, however, I am having some terrible muscle aches and nausea from quitting the Topamax."

BBP007 (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2017

"Been taking for 3.5 years. Total godsend when I first started during a depression; I felt a calmness I'd never felt before. Got the weight loss side effect, & eventually managed to drop the 70 lbs. that I'd gained from other mental meds (karma!). Starting side effects were hard: Was nauseous 1st week & felt like someone had kicked my butt; the successive titrations over the next few months were the same, minus the nausea, lasting a week or less. Side effects afterwards: I'll occasionally get pins & needles in fingers, slight name/word recall issues but no serious case of the stupids unless I go above 150mg, & constant thirst/ dry mouth. Only 8 stars cuz I'm not sure it's working anymore (possibly cuz pharmacy switched brands)."

Gone Bananas (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 22, 2017

"I have been on Topomax for bipolar II disorder, with lamictal. However Topomax has been a life saver for me. I tend to have racing thoughts and impulsive behavior, as well as bouts of irritability and anxiety, I am also on nuvival which can exacerbate anxiety and klonipine as needed. I am quite used to the cognitive changes, they do not make you stupid. Misconception. Intellectual level is unchanging. However, I had to learn to compensate for word find instances, word pronunciation and some fatigue. I should probably take half in day, but I have days fatigue but would rather not due an extra klonipin added to night dose. But this may be needed. Don't let the bad experiences stop you, we really have to experiment to find what works for us"

CM Sutton 1966 (taken for 10 years or more) April 6, 2017

"I was for about a year on gen Bupropion 300mg (Wellbutrin), gen Lexapro 20/10mg & Clonazepam (0.5 mg).These kept me functioning for some time and pulled out of a very debilitating depression that kept me at home for a month. During this year, I still suffered from a lot of ups and downs, my anxiety was getting worse and worse, so my mood swings. I kept pushing my psychiatrist, she was skeptical about my mood swings but I knew there was more going on. I am now on 50mg of generic Topamax (it's definitely controlled my mood swings and a bit my anxiety), it's only been 2 months but I definitely feel a change. Planning on stop taking Lexapro. My Side effects: Weird tasting on (black sodas) and dizziness. A new one is phantom smells."

Nick1991 March 21, 2017

"I've been on Top. 50mg BID for about 3 weeks now. Let me tell you...!!! Psychosomatic or not it worked within days! I was never diagnosed with this bipolar yet my hubby always joked saying I was. I'm not too manic. I have anger, anxiety and procrastination issues. But I work my ass off and do my wifely/motherly/grandma duties. So I didn't realize how truly bad off I was till for some reason decided to try it when offered it . I'm actually a lil more comfortable in social atmospheres now than I ever have! I can get up with a plan and actually get stuff done! There was an invisible wall blocking me. I have a lot of pain that I can't afford to look into further tho. So far so good. The pins and needles suck."

Hopeful426 March 1, 2017

"After 31 years of misery, countless amounts of medications and bad side effects, feeling completely hopeless, & like I would never be happy Topamax has already started to change my life. I suffer from PTSD, Anxiety/Panic, & Mood Disorder. Although it doesn't do a thing for my anxiety or panic the difference in my mood is like night and day. I can not believe how calm and patient I have become already taking this medication. It has saved my life & the people around me!!"

AnonymousJ1C2 February 17, 2017

"I feel normal and am at my best functionality in years. I've been on 150 mg for 4yrs. I'm so grateful. Hypomania sustained and managed. I sleep 9hours a night ,I own my own business and am a single parent. I'm very calm."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 16, 2017

"After so many years of trying I finally start to function as a ( almost) normal human being. Topamax is my lifesaver."

DebsD January 2, 2017

"This drug almost killed me within the last four months that I have been on it after taking it for five years, and in my own personal opinion, it should be taken off the market!!! I have suffered from extreme soreness in my stomach, extreme exhaustion where I was sleeping almost all the time from being exhausted, dizzy, irritable, lightheaded, very hot hands and feet, swollen throughout my whole body, extremely agitated and angry (which is out of my true character, as i'm normally quite positive and happy) and I was waking up in the middle of the night with a horrible "quiver" in my throat that felt like oxygen was being cut off until I sat up and calmed down until it passed. THIS DRUG SHOULD BE BANNED!!!!!! IT'S POISON!!!"

Sunny.p. (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 4, 2016

"I take this as a mood stabalizer it has really helped level out my moods"

austinsdad (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2016

"Following on from previous comment, I forgot to mention this medication is working wonders for my alcohol dependency. I used to drink an entire bottle of wine a night, now I have one or two very small glasses! It's incredible for someone with a long documented history of alcohol abuse. Marvellous stuff!"

Anon611 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2016

"It seems most people are fixated on the weight loss aspect, and I have lost my appetite, but I wasn't a big eater anyway. I just have the metabolism of a sloth! I am thrilled at the mood stabilising effects I am experiencing. Despite the 'shaky' evidence of topiramate as a mood stabiliser I am stunned that it is aactually working. I feel level, functional, calm. If I get a difficult feeling, I am able to pull myself out of it and rationalise better and return to centre more quickly. Life is easier. When I went on this a few months ago it was with the primary intention of losing weight, but now I am feeling so much better, striving for anorexic levels of thinness is not at the forefront of my mind. I am having no negative side effects."

Anon611 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2016

"I couldn't tolerate apiprazole (Abilify) as a secondary mood stabilizer in addition to the lamotrigine, so I titrated up to 50mg. It helped. A LOT. It stopped the ultradian mood cycling that occurred when they upped my lamotrigine up to 200mg, and it stopped the self-harming urge. It did, in combination with other things, cause kidney stones, but alone did not. It helped quite a bit in stabilizing moods, and I'm just upping to 100mg/night. It did a lot for me, and I'm glad my psych put me on it. I don't want to come off. No weight gain. Even some weight loss. I wasn't expecting it, but I am certainly not sad about it. I'd recommend it, but of course, everyone has different brain chemistry, as noted with my experience with Abilify. <== Nope."

KittenCommander (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 15, 2016

"I recently went back to the dr. for antidepressants. She wanted to put me on a mood stabalizer. Most of those cause weight gain so i said not if its going to make me huge. She gave Topamax. Said I will lose weight. Within about 6 months none of my clothes fit so I weighed myself. I was shocked I had gotten back down to numbers I haven't seen since I was a teen. 119-123. I'm 5'2" so to me that's perfect. Food is never on my mind unless my stomach starts growling. I forget to eat. This drug is great for people who have problems with weight. I don't get any other side effects. It doesn't make me a zombie. I take 50mg near bed time. I know it's for seizures & migraine. Sometimes mood. NEEDS TO BE FOR WEIGHT LOSS TOO. highly recommended!!"

DD420 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 22, 2016

"I took for a week 100mg and had massive amounts of bleeding in my stools any urine. Doctors first thought cancer but then saw I had just started this drug an took me off it straight-a-way. Within 4 days, everything went back to normal and all my tests came back clear. Frightened me something terrible. Doctors say only happens in less then 1% but can cause major hemorrhaging. Lost 10kg in one week. Took me two month to recover properly with weekly follow up blood tests."

JJ Miles July 27, 2016