User Reviews for Erenumab

Migraine Prevention
4.8

Reviews for Erenumab

61YrOfMigraines · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2021

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “Complete fail of injector to work. I followed directions to the letter, as soon as I released the purple button the needle retracted resulting in no medication being delivered. Not happy. A regular needle would have solved the problem instead of wasting the dose, my (and the insurance’s) money. Now I have to figure out if the pharmacy will replace it, if my busy Dr needs to do something, or if I have to wait a month...again not happy when all this could have been avoided if they had simply used a needle instead of this failure of an injector. I have chronic, daily Migraines and Occipital Neuralgia, and am at the point where newer medications work for about a year or less, and have to find alternatives. I am allergic to traditional migraine meds (ergots, zomig family, etc), so this newer drug class has been wonderful, if short lived. Botox was great but worked for just over a year before pooping out.”

Greatcna · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 6, 2021

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “I started 1 dose of Aimovig 70 mg April 2020. My neuro suggested that I should start a higher dose (140mg) in July 2020. 3 more months after taking this awful stuff the side effects hit full force! I literally felt like I was going to die. I was so WEAK. Recovery from this drug has been a nightmare. My side effects were brain zaps, anxiety and new panic attacks, paranoia, heart palpitations, numbness, tingling all over my body, weird electrical head sensations, head pressure, my migraines came back 4 months off of this drug more debilitating. I also experienced like my heart was skipping beats. Shortness of breath, fatigue, neck pain, weakness, burning sensations, weight loss, diarrhea and vomiting that has lasted for months. Ringing in the ears, muscle spasms & cramps. I want my life back. It’s been like this for 5 months and the drug is supposed to be out of your system in 6 months. BEWARE AND RUN IF ANYONE OFFERS THIS, it stopped my headaches but at what cost?! Extreme life threatening measures?!”

Cab135 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 31, 2021

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “I started my first Aimovig injection February 5th. I took my 2nd March 5th and am due for another April 5th. I was still weaning off Topamax in February. But the side effects have been ridiculous. I have insomnia, rapid heart beat, stomach issues, constipation, stiff joints, muscle cramps and spasms, leg and arm pain, neck pain and headaches, dizziness/vertigo, hot flashes (day and night), hair loss, chest pains and my blood pressure had gone up and it used to be low. It had reduced my migraines but the side effects are not worth it.”

K8tee October 2, 2018

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “I took first dose last Thursday, four days ago and my muscles in my neck, back and legs feel like pulled muscles. They are incredibly painful when walking or turning my head. This started yesterday. Anyone else have this experience?”

M January 24, 2021

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “4 months/140mg Aimovig. Result-1/3 less migraines. Great, then side affects start. Constipation-serious problem. Extra script for 3X/day med, didn’t help. No prev issues. Gaining weight, rapidly, not eating more. 1stX attributed to holidays. 2ndX, Dr researched, said weight gain not a side effect & eat healthy grains. Am an intermittent faster and vegan! Gain is flabby belly and thighs; NEVER put weight on like this! Bought Peloton, miss 1 day in 7 wks, 0 change. Gain stops after ending shots but freakish lbs stay. Had med Nov2019-February2020, gained 20lbs. Say it is out of the system in 5 months, but next month is 1year since last shot. System is damaged & not repairing. Mentally and physically draining. Also-heart palpitations, pressure in eyes & ringing in ears, not part of my life before. Have other issues, but these worry me most. Wish I never heard of Aimovig, never took it and pushed back harder when the side effects started.”

MB2 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 2, 2018

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “I started at 70 mg and didnt notice a change so my neurologist increased my dose to 140mg. I am still waiting for a positive reduction in daily headaches...no change whatsoever. Since I started I have noticed rapid heart rates and chest pain. Some days I can barely walk up one flight of stairs. I’m also experiencing insomnia, increase nausea/vomiting and a weird electrical tingling in the right side of my head. I’m very concerned about the cardiac issues and am wondering if anyone else has this side effect?”

Alley · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 28, 2021

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “I went from extreme migraines every. Single. Day for months. This was fairly new on the market when I took it. I had 95% recovery from headaches. It was a LIFE SAVER. I now only get headaches once or twice a month....and they are usually towards the end of the month. As far as the constipation side effect, it can be hit or miss, but well worth the results. I recommend everyone who has migraines to try this medication.”

Cajun Angel October 25, 2018

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “Within 3 hours of injecting 140mg. I started to feel unwell. I woke up the next night & I could not breathe, and had red rash/hives. I had to go to the ER. by the 5th day post injection, I felt like I was going to die, and had to go Back to the ER. I was in the hospital for 5 days. I had a severe life threatening reaction to Aimovig. My body recognized this Biologic medicine as a Poison. Once injected, there is no way to get it OUT of your system. The half life of Aimovig is 28 days, but it takes 5 half lives to rid it from your system... (Amegen/Novartis) should be made to issue a warning that this reaction(Immunogenecity) can happen. They do know about this side effect. Anyone suffering with a terrible reaction should make a report to the FDA . They are the only ones holding drug companies accountable for undesireable serious side effects. This drug does work for preventing the migraines, but at what cost... risk of death? Literally months of suffering?”

Prefernottosayname January 2, 2021

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “Update 1 year: +/- one migraine/month, usually in week before injection. Negs: Pharmacy often lags in filling prescription. Got a dud injector and it took 2 weeks to get replacement. The 1/2 life of Aimovig in the body is 28 days: I was late enough in getting my injection that I got a migraine 2 days after my shot. Some of the drug sometimes seeps out of the injection site after I remove the needle. Given small dose, any amount of drug lost is a problem. I think this is a design failure of the autoinjector. Original: Significant drop in complicated migraine episodes. Had near-constant migraines. Also had severe vertigo for more than a year (may have been vestibular migraine). My migraines manifest with nausea, aura, neuralgia, extreme sensitivity to light, sound and odors, and muscle spasms in my neck and jaw. I used to wake up most mornings with a “sick headache” feeling in my occipital region. That has disappeared. My only possible side effect is dry mouth.”

Chel · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2018

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “I had my first injection 9-17-2018. That first day I had a migraine. I have had a migraine every day since (counting 12). I have also had muscle pains develop in my back to the point that I went in for a MRI 4 days after the shot. I didn’t think or know the two could of been related. I have had back issue before and thought they could of returned. I suspect the medication triggered a flare up. However the pain was not only in the injury section but all along my spine. Specifically in my upper back and neck. The migraine focused behind my eyes as usual and my normal medication would not even offer any relief. Which is unusual. Then six days after the injection stomach issues began. I feel nauseous continuously. I am hungry but nothing sounds or tastes good. Waiting to see my doctor. Not excited to continue with this medication.”

Monika · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 21, 2019

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “I've been on Aimovig for a year now and while it's not for everyone, it's worked for me. I've had migraines since I was 6-7 years old, and now, at 40, I'm finally getting some relief. It's not 100%, but to cut down the migraines from 20-25 a month to maybe 10, it's worth it. The only side effect I've had is a little constipation. Please don't let all of the negative reviews scare you off. Just like other migraine preventatives, Aimovig isn't for everyone, but if you're a chronic suffer like I am, it's worth a shot. Especially if you've done damage to your stomach and liver like I have by taking handfuls of OTC medications to try to stop the pain. When you have migraines everyday for years and suddenly you get break, it's like the sun peaking out from behind the clouds. Try it, what do you have to lose?”

Marie W · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 28, 2018

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “I did a 70 mg injection of Aimovig for two months, and then increased to the 140 mg injection for two months. My migraines are worse than ever, my daily headache is much stronger, and my rescue medications are less effective. I'm almost certain these are side effects of Aimovig. I've stopped using it, and I'm waiting for it to clear my system! I generally get 1 - 2 migraines per week but these past couple of months have been much worse!”

Evelyn March 7, 2021

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “I’ve taken Aimovig for over a year, it was good 1st 3 months-then head pains & migraines came back 1/2 way. Had major migraine treated with Aimovig, nerve block, sumatriptan, & Nubrevly which only allowed me to get through it-4’days in bed. Then switched to Emgality did nothing. Now back on Aimovig. I have heart palpitations, constant headache Requiring triptan, concentration issues, ringing ears, constipation, bloating, some weight gain, insomnia, sharp head pains in temples & head; need to get off all CGRP...of course Amgen doesn’t want to tell you how to stop taking it-guess what they want??? Can’t do this anymore!”

Me · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2018

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “24 hours after a 70mg injection I have severe nausea, dizziness, and headache. I feel terrible like I have the flu. I hope this doesn’t last the entire month. Wish I knew how to get this drug out of my system. Will NOT be trying another shot. And their website lists none of these side effects! Based on others reviews I am not the only one feeling like death. Awful drug”

chasecadet · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 14, 2020

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “I started Aimovig literally 2 days after the FDA approved it and it started working within a week. I have chronic daily migraines and was shocked a medication finally worked and I had no side effects. Was on it a year and had to go off it because I lost my job. I started taking it again in Dec 2019 with great results again. End of Oct 2020 I started getting daily migraines again with severe inflammation in neck and lower half of arms. Then my blood pressure which was already high was even higher, heart beating so fast, rapid weight gain, inflammation in knees, half my hair fell out, tinnitus and clogged ears. Did 2 rounds of steroids which didn't help. About 2 weeks ago the daily migraines stopped but still have all the other symptoms. I've read biologics can do this after using them this long. And Aimovig can cause lupus which will eventually resolve after being off it 5 months. It was good until it wasn't.”

BabyJones · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2019

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “I have taken Aimovig injections, for 8 months. I had 15 or more migraines each month. I am seeing these side effects: Hair loss Constipation Stomach pain Burning tingling all over Veins are enlarged, and sore Fatigue, and joint pain Headache for three weeks High heart rate, then drops very low into 40’s High blood pressure Tremor Weakness in Then dysautonomic nerve dysfunction was diagnosed, AFTER I started the drug. What is being done to alert people taking the injection about these very serious side effects?? If I hadn’t been researching this drug’s side effects I wouldn’t have known. I will follow up with a call to FDA , and file a complaint with Aimovig. There should be a warning on the box. Thank you, Sharon Kerr”

Babyboos · Taken for less than 1 month September 24, 2018

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “Took the injection and an hour later started to feel horrible. Migraines are usually on the left side of my head and sharp. The right side of my head had a lot of pressure and down my neck. I went to bed thinking I'll feel better in the morning. The pressure became excruciating and my neck had horrible muscle spasms. I was in severe pain in my head neck and muscle spasms in my back for 8 days. It tapered off and I could function again. My husband almost took me to the hospital thinking I had a bad reaction. I started researching and found out many many people have had the same thing. My daughter took the injection the day after I did and her symptoms completely mirrored mine. She is still suffering. I am writing this two weeks later and still have some minor symptoms.”

Worriedmomma October 11, 2020

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “This medication has ruined my family’s life for the last month. My son tried Aimovig after years of unsuccessful migraine treatments. The first month wasn’t too bad. He had a significant reduction in migraines (from 4-5/week down to 1-2) The constipation was severe, but he thought he could get a handle on it, so when it was time, he wanted to do his second injection. That second injection flipped our world upside down. Several days after the injection he was struck with crippling fatigue, and the scariest symptom of all, he began hallucinating, then fainted. We rushed him to the ER. After a thorough exam, bloodwork, and EEG, the doctor came to the conclusion that it was most likely triggered by the Aimovig. The last month has been horrible. He can hardly stay awake, and when he’s exhausted, he hallucinates. He’s 18, and we can’t leave him alone. Watching him suffer with this is absolutely heartbreaking. We hate this med and what it’s done to his life.”

Definitely not worth it October 16, 2019

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “31 years old Female. Took this for 6 months, migraines were far fewer and less intense however, the side effects were absolutely not worth it! Severe constipation, agitation, dizziness, fatique, feeling like I had full blown flu with soreness everywhere, extreme hair loss!!! Heart pain? Elevated heart rate, extreme shortness of breath, could hardly walk up a single flight of stairs, brain fog, vertigo. Aimovig was the ONLY change in any medications. I even kept my diet and exercise routine the same during the trial. This is NOT worth the side effects. Also, who knows about the long term effects?”

Sharla · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 30, 2020

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “My neurologist gave me Aimovig to try to control severe migraines. A week later, IC of the bladder flared enough to go to a urologist for 6 weeks of treatments and a year of diet modifications. It had been in remission for 9 years. A week after that I was at my gp for severe joint pain, dry mouth, extremely dry eyes and skin, sores in my mouth. I was having to use spray in my mouth and special toothpaste, long lasting lotion and 3 types of eye drops. I couldn’t wear contacts my eyes were so dry. I had Sjögren’s syndrome. These two autoimmune diseases were brought on by the aimovig, a CRGP. A neurologist in CA studies and publishes how the crgps cause autoimmune diseases in some people who are prone. It’s taken a year, multiple specialists, herbalist and herbs, supplements, a special diet and lots of migraines that got way worse and one year later I’m 75% better from the autoimmune disease it caused.”

Catlady October 1, 2018

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “Just took my second injection (70) mg on Friday. I have seen a dramatic improvement. Almost headache free. That is why I rated the drug a 10. Not even Botox has worked this well. I am experiencing constipation. Will try Miralax. Definitely worth a try.”

Sam · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 26, 2020

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “I was told Aimovig had few side effects. I had six shots and migraines worsened! They kept saying give it time so I did but it never helped. I got health problems I never had before the shots too! I’m 31 and average weight and the only health issue I had was migraines! Now my chest hurts, I have weird severe fatigue, high blood pressure, and spikes in heart rate, constipation that became blockage and had surgery, depression, diabetes, and can’t digest food right. It’s a suffering I can’t explain really it’s so bad. I’m scared I’ll be like this the rest of my life. I don’t trust doctors anymore and don’t plan to ever go back. They’re either lying to us or don’t know what they’re doing. Never again!”

Kitkat7 November 6, 2018

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “First injection (70mg) September 24. Suffered many years. Kept a “headache diary” to keep track of how often they occur and the notes on the various meds I have taken for them (preventatives, triptans, etc...). Happily, headaches were down by 70-75% the first month. Had 4 headaches 9/24-9/27, then twinges, then no headaches for many days in a row. Also, if I do feel one coming on, I can go to bed and wake up with no headache which was impossible before because the headaches were unstoppable and became migraines. SIDE EFFECTS: The first month, I had slight nausea on and off for about a week but none after my 2nd injection on 10/24. Worst thing, so far, is severe constipation. (Told doctor.) I hope other people will post remedies they have found for constipation caused by Aimovig. This drug is the first thing I have found to help prevent migraines but adjusting to life with severe bloating and constipation is horrible. I would like to know how to remedy this safely.”

Dragonfly · Taken for less than 1 month September 27, 2018

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “After 33 years of Chronic intractable migraine, this medication is a big hope for me. First 70 mg injection Sept. 11, easy enough, but have to say my headaches have been worse up until this week (Sept 27) when I’m seeing some of the promised relief, along with other unpleasant effects, which I’m guessing are side effects. Dizziness, mood issues, some shortness of breath, and definite nausea and diarrhea. Blood pressure higher, mine is typically very low. Also insomnia. Hard to get to sleep and stay asleep. Curious about what others may find similar in their experience? Too soon to say on relief, only two days I’ve seen a difference.”

mama2ten January 31, 2020

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “I have taken six doses of Aimovig and am just so mad myself that I didn't look into people's experience and feedback of this med sooner. The first two months I saw significant decrease in migraine days and was hopeful. Month three they were almost back to normal so my Doctor put me on the 140mg. It took my a while to clue in the side effects but side effects are now intolerable: severe muscle pain in neck and shoulders, gas, bloating, stomach cramping, constipation and at least 10 pounds of weight gain. I am so mad at myself that I didn't clue in to all of this being about the drug! I feel like the only side effect told is constipation and irritation at the injection site. I will not be taking this again and I would love to know how long it took anyone else to see symptoms decrease.”

Briar Rose · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2020

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “ I took Aimovig once in July 2019. Afterword, I developed full body neuropathy, severe musculoskeletal pain, tremors in my tongue, hands, & legs, joint pain, muscle weakness, extreme fatigue, Ear ringing, cognitive disfunction, heart palpitations, extreme swings in blood pressure, severe constipation, acid reflux and bloating, & developed asthma out of nowhere. I’ve had MRIs, Xrays, an EMG, tons of blood work, & next I’ll be getting a small fiber biopsy. I now take a daily inhaler & two prescriptions for my nerve pain. This drug ruined my life.”

Painfulhead December 14, 2019

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “Hi , My experience with Aimovig after first injection I was very constipated and bloated but after a week my migraines were reduced . I noticed my weight going up , which was strange as I was on 1200 calorie diet and was exercising daily . Month 2 after second injection my migraines were shorter and fewer but my weight increased . I was also bloated . I reduced to 1000 calorie diet and daily exercise and after a week I gained more weight !!! My stomach was more bloated . I thought I was going nuts . I tried fasting and my weight did not budge and I felt so bloated and clogged up . I called the manufacturer . This was not a reported side effect , well this is my experience . Too bad I’m going off this drug which takes months to eliminate and I continue to diet and exercise . Before going on Aimovig I had never gained weight on 1200 calories a day, I had never felt so bloated and clogged up . I hate migraine but these side effects are scary to me . So disappointed .”

Sandy September 28, 2018

Aimovig (erenumab) for Migraine Prevention: “I have had migraines since 2000. I have tried everything with no real solutions. I was having some type of headache 16-18 days a month with at least 10 of those being migraine level. Headaches 7-8 days in a row. I hate how the Triptans make my neck hurt and sore throat. I began Aimovig, and have had 4 injections now 70 mg. I have seen my migraines cut back to like 6 total headaches a month. The headaches I do have don’t last, I wake up now in the mornings clear headed and with no headache hangover. It has been wonderful. I feel reliable again and like I can be dependable. It is costly and come Jan. My deductible will start over. I’m going to try to fit Aimovig into my budget. Side effects: constipation, and joint pain. Some of my joint pain is hereditary. So this side effect may just be a change in the weather. I’m 48!”