User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Propranolol.

Hemangioma

5.5

1 review 122 medications
Summary of Propranolol reviews 8.0 673 reviews

Reviews for Propranolol

Inderal LA (propranolol) for Migraine Prevention: "Using Inderal LA 80 mg since Nov. 7th 2017. The side effects were quite strong (heart rate low (45-50), fatigue, etc.), so I take now a 60 mg dose (since Nov. 22nd). In 2 months, I had only 5 mild migraines. More interesting, since Dec. 16th, no migraine at all. I used to have 8 to 10 migraines per month on average! The only problem is the side effects that are still there, though less. When I do exercise, even light ones like walking, I feel tired, weak. I feel like my heart cannot fully give me the power to cope with its need. Before that, I tried 2 types of antidepressants, to no avail. I cannot take hormones for other medical reasons. Inderal is working and I am happy. But..."

KlaraV January 14, 2018

For Anxiety: "Tried xanax serotonin uptake inhibitors and did not help me with my panic attacks and anxiety. Only propranolol helped me and i was relieved from symptoms of constant tachycardia and palpitations.. best medicine ever."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 12, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I'm 51 and had regular headaches since a teen. Took birth control everyday to avoid hormone migraine, but was having headaches every day. Took Maxalt, then read it leads to more headaches. Many drugs over the years, Dr. stuck with tension headache meds. 3 years ago, explained how Maxalt works for me almost immediate, but used every day. He said "you are having vascular headaches" and prescribed propranolol. His mother took it, so it has been around awhile. Changed my life; just wish I started 30 years ago. Don't give up trying this based on the side effects mentioned. I have none; it is worth at least trying."

ld6266 January 11, 2018

For Performance Anxiety: "I had what can only be described as a mini panic-attack during a presentation before 10-12 people and since that time I have developed a terrible performance anxiety when giving sales updates to management or giving presentations. I tried hypnosis... didn't work.I decided to take the plunge and try propranolol. I take 60mg when doing presentations I'm very nervous about. It does NOT stop the feeling of anxiety, but when you start speaking you don't go bright red, your voice doesn't close up or go shaky and you feel as if you are just talking to a friend/acquaintance, this helps keep you calm and stop the ultra panic spiral. It's not a miracle cure, but It definitely helps."

salesman with glossophobia (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2018

For Performance Anxiety: "It's a travesty that this medication isn't known by most who have issues with public speaking and performance panic attacks, which are crippling and cruel conditions. Happy to report, the reviews are all spot on. Propranolol is a literal miracle drug. Performance anxiety crippled my career and general enjoyment of life since forever. It was surreal to be put on the spot and realize my body, for once, wasn't going to betray me. It's enabled me to talk to large groups as comfortably as I would talk to a family member at dinner. It won't stop you from worrying about an upcoming but you really will be an iceman when you get put on the spot."

NewSpeaker January 6, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I hope this helps someone reading. I was prescribed Propranolol a month ago for my migraines. 80mg slow release. Since being on them I've felt so cold all the time and having terrible trouble sleeping. I seem to be in a foul mood and feeling depressed. After 2 weeks I even got a migraine. I then missed 2 doses over 2 days. I took them mornings. By the 2nd evening I felt shocking. My heart was beating so fast and then missing beats. My blood pressure went up high. I felt dizzy and out of breath. I'm seeing the dr tomorrow to see how to come off them safely. I've been researching and it seems very dangerous to just stop them. It seems you have to ween off of them. Please research before taking them."

Cazzy72 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2018

For Panic Disorder: "I have to take half a packet of beta blockers for to make them work for me. I'm also on diazepam too. I've tried other drugs they don't even touch me in fact they made me suicidal. I've had a panic disorder over 4 years and even was referred to mental health team. I had cognitive behaviour therapy for my panic disorder and OCD. It never worked for me. I have seen therapist and other people like that. I lost close members of my family and was in terrible relationships. I've also been raped and many years later was mugged I've been a victim of a crime twice. Sorry to blabber on - I don't want sympathy but if any other people have gone through this speak out to friends councillor or get professional advice it does help. Thank you for reading I'm from uk"

Lil36 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 29, 2017

For Performance Anxiety: "I had always get bad anxiety along with hot flushes. I have been taking 20mg and it has done wonders for me. I will continue to keep taking this for a long time to come."

whippet121 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 29, 2017

For Migraine Prevention: "Absolutely NOT. this medication nearly killed me. i was prescribed this for migraine prevention, and I don’t even have high blood pressure which is what it’s mainly used for. All this did was make me feel dizzy every day, constantly faint and feel like I was gonna either vomit or pass out 24/7. This medication almost put me in the dang hospital twice. I stopped it cold turkey (bad decision) but it made me so agitated and such a nasty person. did not help with migraines what so ever."

allltheproblems (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 28, 2017

For Performance Anxiety: "Dr prescribed 10 mg to help with anxiety. I took 1 pill yesterday evening and this morning I felt extremely sleepy/drowsy and felt like I needed air while driving this morning. I had little striking pain on left side of head past my temples, it was cold so I kept the car window cracked. During the day at work I felt weird and out of sorts. I felt irritable. Now tonight I have the striking pain again which won’t go away. Maybe it’s my sinus but I don’t care, I’m not taking this medication again. Heck no! Not a second time."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2017

For Performance Anxiety: "I never write reviews but I promised myself I would add a comment if propranolol lived up to the other reviews on this site - and I'm so pleased to say it did! My whole working career I have struggled with controlling nerves when presenting. Most of the time I struggle through but I have had a couple of bad experiences where I choked up included one where I just finished super early and walked off because my throat started to close up. Recently I had to present to senior management and all of my peers and I have been dreading it since finding out. I took 40 mg an hour before my presentation and it worked exactly how everyone else described. I felt calm and in control - mainly because my heart wasn't racing and my voice was in control"

UK based (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2017

For Performance Anxiety: "I suffer from glossophobia or the fear of public speaking. I get full blown panic attacks in from of an audience. I am 31 years old and this phobia has been a burden. This morning, I had to do a presentation of 5 to 10 minutes in front of the board members (around 20). Basically, I had to report all my projects. It is basically a nightmare for me. Popped 20 mg of Propranolol 90 minutes before the show, 20 mg 60 minutes before and 20 mg 30 minutes before. I also had a hint of Ativan (0,5 mg) when I woke up. Not sure if the Ativan helped, but the panic symptoms never showed up and I delivered a great report. 10/10 will present again (with Prop)."

Anonymous411 December 12, 2017

For Performance Anxiety: "I really wish I had discovered this drug sooner. Ever since a young age I have found public speaking the worst thing on earth. I would do anything to get out of a presentation or even having to read aloud or answer a question in class. I had a big university presentation and finally decided to go to the doctors. The week before the presentation I spent reading all these comments being amazed and thinking it definitely wouldn't work for me. I was very nervous before and dreading that it wouldn't work but as soon as I got up there I literally felt absolutely fine! I took 40mg 2 hours ish before and it worked a treat! Couldn't recommend it more it has now literally changed my life forever. AMAZING"

biologist1996 (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2017

For Anxiety: "Was very tense with anxiety and panic attacks using propranolol 10mg x times a day. Amazing drug helped me a lot. Hats off to the guy who developed."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2017

For Performance Anxiety: "I joined the trades after high school because I wanted a job that I didn't have to speak publicly. I hated the trades so much that I became depressed. After nearly 10 years working in the trades, I decided it was time to go to university and pursue something I was passionate about. When I did my first presentation, I had a panic attack in front of my whole class. Easily one of the worst experiences of my life. Then I heard about beta blockers and they have honestly changed my life. I'm in my fourth year and have at least 15 success presentations under my belt. I would have had to drop out if it wasn't for them. My presentation anxiety is about as bad as it gets. If propranolol works for me, it will work for anymore."

ImAStudent17 December 8, 2017

For Performance Anxiety: "Like most people on here, I have super bad public speaking anxiety. I'll freak out months, weeks, days before and essentially just shut down when I have to get up and talk. In the past, I've had terrible voice shaking, felt my body go weak and no longer able to stand, my eyes go fuzzy and I can't see anything. I've only used this for one group presentation so far, but it was actually amazing what it did for me. I had a pit in my stomach before I went up because I was unsure if it would kick in or not, but I actually was able to talk! I was articulate and actually able to get through the whole thing really well. Absolutely get it if you're struggling!"

sarahg77920 December 5, 2017

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed this drug for performance anxiety and I have been extremely pleased. I take it an hour before a presentation or important meeting and it completely helps me function and perform normally. I’m still nervous, but it’s not debilitating and the symptoms like rapid heart beat, shaky voice, shaky hands, and flushed face are GONE. The doctor that prescribed this made a great point, he said “this won’t take away all of your nerves but you never want to lose that completely anyway. A healthy level of nervousness keeps you sharp, and the day you lose all nerve, it’s over.”"

AdmHnry (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 3, 2017

For Performance Anxiety: "I'm a male medical student in the final months of my training. I've always found it dreadful doing presentations before a professional (other medics) audience even if it is something like 7 people. I found it impossible - I go into full blown panic attack 15 seconds in (crying, voice trembling, heart pounding so much that people have said they can hear it from outside). I had a very important presentation recently and I took 40 mg 1.5 hours before and I was EXTREMELY calm. I felt so calm, I felt like I was sitting at home watching a movie while I was on stage! My "excited" heart rate without propranolol is 120+ but on propranolol it was 84 maximum. Just use this med under Doctors guidance. Use the lowest working dose. Try it before the event to see how you react to it"

Medic123 (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2017

For Performance Anxiety: "Propranolol is honestly one of the best things in the freakin universe. I’ve struggled tremendously with debilitating presentation/public speaking anxiety for the past 13 years of my life. I’ve been prescribed Xanax and Lexapro to aide with my anxiety, but Xanax made me so foggy to the point of stupidity and Lexapro is a daily medication, while my anxiety is strictly situational. Just take 30 mg an hour to an hour and a half before your presentation, or speech and you WILL kill it. Reading short paragraphs out loud, or even introducing myself to a large group of people would be straight up impossible for me - but with Propranolol, That’s all gone away. Seriously. Try it. You’ll be that person VOLUNTEERING to present and read aloud :)"

Ya Girl (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 28, 2017

For Migraine Prevention: "Didn't seem to do anything apart from making me tired and depressed. When I finally came off the drug it was like I was given my life back. It didn't seem to help the migraines either, in fact it was while I was on the drug that I had the worst migraine of my life."

Anon34234 November 27, 2017

For Performance Anxiety: "41 year old female that is furious I wasted my life so far without this little miracle pill! Spent my life terrified of public speaking—basically wasted my Ivy League college experience, avoided speaking at work as much as possible, limiting my professional opportunities. I even tried therapy, and the most useful thing she said was “you could try a beta blocker,” which I blew off because I don’t like taking drugs. After spending a week long training in absolute terror and humiliation over not speaking up, I decided to try it. I needed to get over my feeling that I should be able to do it on my own—blow that, for whatever genetics or childhood trauma some of us have to contend with this burden of worry over any public speaking. This is great!"

Terrified speaker (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2017

For Anxiety: "This drug is great for calming you down I've been on 40mg a day and the side affects are horrendous trying to wean myself off them 1st day I took it I had blurred vision I've had aching in my left arm since I started taking it feel worse the only good thing is it calms you down but the side affects are not worth it"

Jackie5365 November 21, 2017

For Anxiety: "Difficult to rate this drug as initially it had a dramatic positive effect - if I took enough, 40 to 120 mg. Or more (I only used it when required i.e. when anxiety/panic/feelings of paranoia became a problem.) But after some years of this occasional use the drug has become completely non-effective. Reading new packet inserts, I note that propranolol is no longer described as a treatment for anxiety. So has the formula been changed? At my last visit to a doctor I was told that nothing much else was available to prescribe aside from citilapram, propranolol ...and he prescribed 2 mg diazepam, which astonished me. I stopped using that (in higher dose) years ago, and don't see it as any sort of answer. I intend to see another doctor."

Calenture (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 19, 2017

For Anxiety: "Just found out after 4 months of using this drug 40mg a day for anxiety that it can cause HEART FAILURE in otherwise healthy adults. In low dose this drug will definitely stop the pounding heart beat but I notice if I have a panic attack my heart still races. I'm sure if you took 80mg a day that wouldn't be a problem though. Shortness of breath too after taking, I'd strongly advise against this drug. Find something else."

mr.anxious (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2017

For Arrhythmia: "I have been taking propranolol for about a year and my muscles are very weak, esp. knees/legs. I stay in bed with extreme fatigue several days a week. My vision is blurry most of the time. I don't find enjoyment in things I used to love, and I stay home most of the time. Could these side effects be caused by the propranolol? They are getting worse . I also have some memory confusion and occasional irritability. These side effects are quite debilitating."

Jane Coe (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 16, 2017