User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Hemangioma 1 reviews 2 medications

Heart Attack 1 reviews 121 medications

5.5
Summary of Propranolol reviews 553 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Propranolol

For Anxiety: "I have a one year old child, I work 4 days a week, I'm buying my first house and my dad passed away. I'm the only family my dad had so I had a huge responsibility to sort. I coped as well as I could have until the third week where it hit me. Traumatic stress. I went back to work, my jobs intense and socially demanding (sales). I couldn't cope or continue to live with how I felt. The doctor gave me these tablets as well as antidepressants and I feel the worlds weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I am free to function normally and get through each day now. However I do feel the tablets wear off and the anxiety creeps in. Perfect quick fix but the underlying issue is still there. However, I don't have to deal with that right now!"

Charlottegfdcbj February 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For High Blood Pressure: "I was diagnosed with hypothyroidsm and extremely low levels of vitamin b12 which were wreaking all kinds of havoc in my body, so my doctor prescribed me Propranolol for high blood pressure and rapid pulse/palpitations, and it did really work for both problems, helped a little with my anxiety too, but I quit it after ten weeks because I was so drowsy all day long, I also started breaking out pretty bad in the face, scalp and hairline, not sure if it's related to Propral, but at least the fatigue and general "depressive mood" subsided instantly when I stopped taking it."

hypoKaitlin (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Performance Anxiety: "I am a 44 year old female that as dealt with fear of public speaking all my life. I've recently joined an organization where the ability to public speak is a career necessity. I've tried taking Xanax during public speaking engagements. While it would calm me down slightly, it wasn't able to control the adrenaline-induced autonomic responses such as shaky voice. Today I took 80mg of propranolol spaced between 90 minutes to 30 minutes before my presentation and 2 0.5 mg doses of Alprazolam in that 90 minute to 30 minute window before my presentation. I was nervous entering the presentation. As soon as I spoke, no sign of anxiety or shaky voice evident. I was joking and very natural on stage. I am so grateful for these drugs."

genmod (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Performance Anxiety: "This medicine really works. As I commented below, I have struggled with panic attacks/anxiety, that sometimes sets in when I am about to start presenting/speak in front of many people, for 25 years (I am now 43). The strange thing is that sometimes it does not happen. I can't control under which presentation the body launches the full attack. Today I had another presentation for 35 people. I prepared very well. Took 60 mg propranolol 1 hour before. I had no heart racing, none of my usual shaky voice, no choking, etc. The med blocks it actually. It WORKS. I can present calm as a normal person. I also noticed that I have almost no anxiety in the days before presentations compared to before when I didn't used propranolol as I know I'm going to be fine I'm now not anxious"

Gabriel12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Migraine Prevention: "I have suffered with severe headache and migraine since being a child. About 6 years ago I was put on propranolol a low dose which didn't help, it was then increased and still I noticed no change. Over the years I have tried all sorts of medication but non that seem to keep the headaches at bay permanently. I was back at the Dr a month ago and was put back on propranolol 40mg 3x daily. Since taking it this time my headaches have been worse, I am now about 16 days in to a permanent headache, sometimes its just a 1 on the pain scale and sometimes a 10 but its always there. Does anyone know of any others I can ask to try, propranolol seems to be the thing they relying on but as it may work for other people it isn't for me :("

Megzymooshka February 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Performance Anxiety: "I have always been anxious at public speaking, I was recently asked by a close friend to speak at his mothers funeral, I couldn't refuse but as the time came closer the anxiety was unbearable and I knew I couldn't go through with it without major panic and possible failure. I read public speaking tips and stumbled across reviews of medication. I went to see the doctor and asked about propranolol. He said I could try it and prescribed 10mg and advised me to try it to get the feeling and take up to a max of 40mg 2hrs before the funeral. I am so glad I did, this stuff is amazing, I only needed 20mg and it made me so calm, I was still nervous but only perhaps 4/10 instead of 10/10. I got through the speech without a problem and am so pleased."

J Ox February 8, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Anxiety: "Golly I am disappointed. I tried this for my anxiety because it was getting out of control. I could not extend conversations beyond a minute or so without getting all flustered. Could not think, started to sweat, heart beat faster, tightness in my chest, hands tingle, could not breathe. None of those are fun things! Even basic day to day stuff like getting a haircut would freak me out enough to avoid. My hair looks terrible now! So my Psychologist and MD recommended this drug. He, the MD, told me he took it himself for public speaking . "Take one 10 mg tablet and a feeling of calm washes over me." Unfortunately I have been taking it three days now, two 10 mg pills three times a day, and I feel absolutely nothing."

Used to be very outgoing. February 7, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Migraine Prevention: "I was on just 20 mg for a week, I didn't really notice anything. I think I had some mild side effects nothing too serious. Then I had the worst migraine I have ever had in my whole life. I decided to go up to 40 mg and so far I haven't really noticed anything still. I'm going to give it a few weeks to see if it makes a difference. My neurologist said I could try Depakene (valproic acid) but I'm too scared. Can someone please advice?"

anon3984934 February 6, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Migraine Prevention: "Hi my son was suffering from chronic debilitating migraines with aura, sometimes lasting all night. We tried Amitriptaline which didn't do a thing and Topiramate that had such horrendous side effects, they were worse than the migraines. He had an MRI which fortunately was clear and out last hope was Propranalol. Now I read this is good for vascular migraine, and this is what he has, he hears a pulsing in his ear. He started on 20mg three times a day and the first few days we didn't notice a difference. I upped it to 40mg as the pharmacist said it was a low dose for migraine prevention, but this knocked him out and he seemed quiet and sedated. So we went back to 20 mg, divided doses...low and behold, a week later he is nearly migraine free"

Suzycube (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Anxiety: "I got diagnosed with general anxiety discorder at 26 after I had surgery which went wrong. I had a diagnostic procedure on my womb and they punctured my bladder 3 times and I got left with a catheter. I'm a director of a business and am often having to present and do talks to very high profile people I started to lose my confidence and started getting panic attacks which I couldn't control and make worse. I've tried everything possible and then went on to propranolol only 10mg to take as and when I feel anxious, I've been taking one in the morning as I wake up anxious and usually that lasts all day, sometimes I take one in the afternoon if I feel I need it. Its changed my life and I now have my confidence back"

Sophie P February 2, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Anxiety: "I'm terrified of medication.... Basically a phobia, I have severe panic attacks.... If your like me... Try this drug! Made me confident around anyone! Amazing drug for anyone with social anxiety or panic attacks! It helps me in every single aspect of my life. Work, relationships, in every way I was more confident and basically the person I always wanted to be. Confident! No anxiety holding me back! Still terrified of trying new medications but this is one drug I'm so glad I took... And I still take when I feel like I need it. Oh and best part... I have no side effects! At all. I'm the type of person who will panic over even a small side effect and stop taking a medication because of it.... But with this medicine I feel amazing."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 30, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Anxiety: "Put on propranol for anxiety 80 mg three times daily. I thought this was a high dose but haven't had a true panic attack since. I still get mild anxiety but it's nothing like before. Helped me to wean off clonazepam so I would say it's been helpful."

Buck 58 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Panic Disorder: "I was prescribed propranalol for two reasons: cough & anxiety. I had been on metoprolol for at least 15 years for high blood pressure. This new med is a win-win-win for me since it has helped my chronic cough PLUS it does a better job for my hypertension PLUS it has reduced my anxiety level. I have tried almost everything available for anxiety, most of which are highly addictive (benzos) or have a great number of side effects (SSRI's). I will rate this again after I've been on the med for 5-6 months. "

zionfrost January 27, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Performance Anxiety: "Propranolol has been a life saver for me since I started taking it in grad school for performance anxiety. For years I had avoided public speaking and any situation where I was the focus of attention. It really works...and I don't think much of it is placebo at all. I still get nervous before a large presentation (my job now requires frequent presentations), but my body stays calm. My face doesn't get as red as a tomato. I feel I can think clearly. It's truly wonderful. Does anyone have any knowledge or evidence of propranolol having adverse effects on triglycerides/cholesterol? My triglycerides have been so high but I have also had thyroid issues too. I would love to be able to continue using this drug forever and ever, when I need it."

takkvida (taken for 10 years or more) January 26, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Performance Anxiety: "Hello. I have since high scool had big trouble with presentations and public speaking in front of group of people. Some times I managed to handle this ok, but some times my body launched full blown panic attack where my heart raced and my body and voice froze so hard that I hardly managed to get through. For two weeks ago I went to my doctor and told him about this. I asked if he could prescribe me Propranolol. He understood me well and gave me prescription for 100 tablets of 20 mg propranolol. Today I had a presentation in front of around 60 people in our office. I took two 20-mg tablets/pills of propranolol 70 minutes before I should start the presentation. I held the presentation without problems at all. :-))))))))))))))"

Gabriel12 January 25, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Mitral Valve Prolapse: "Propranolol a 40mg 2x1 leaded me to an episode of supra ventricular tachycardia (244bpm)"

DzoNI (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Anxiety: "I suffer from chronic anxiety and this medication is a life saver. I am training to be a teacher and if I had to stand in front of a group of people I would shake and feel like my heart would explode. I once had a panic attack and ran out the room. Even speaking to people made me panic, I thought I was going crazy. It took ten years to go the doctors and tell him the way I was feeling and to be prescribed this medication. If I had known about this when I was younger it would have changed my life so much. I am on 160mg slow realise and I am a different person its changed my life :-) only side effects I have are tiredness and nightmares but the good outweighs the bad"

Anne Kay January 22, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Performance Anxiety: "What a terrible feeling it is not to be able to speak in front of public. I had to deal with this since I was in the fifth grade. How embarrassing to avoid public speaking but when I had to I did and it was so embarrassing to me I never wanted to do it again, but you I had to face the music. I found that propranolol taken it 45 minutes 20 milligrams help tremendously. I wasn't nervous and I felt at ease. Although I would like to find alternatives which I've been trying to find and have been unable to have something that will works. I would like to find a natural remedy that will help keep me calm throughout the day when I'm not public speaking in case something comes up unexpectedly I won't be looking like a fool."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) January 22, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Migraine Prevention: "I have been taking Propranolol for 2 months now doctors been slowly increasing the milligrams it's not really helping. My migraines are once a day, maybe skipping 3 to 4 days. I need to try something else anybody have any advice so I was thinking Topamax? please help thanks. A weird thing is I had migraines in college they went away years ago when I moved to Upstate New York Finger Lake Region and now they're back. I think the weather triggers them don't really know what to do about that though. Need advice please my neurologist is not really helping me. I might need to find a new one"

Anonymous January 12, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Migraine Prevention: "I have had bad headaches for years, and I have taken Maxalt for many years to alleviate. My headaches became worse and daily. I was taking the Maxalt quite often (breaking the pills in half). I read about the overuse rebound headaches and went back to Dr. When I told him that the Maxalt worked well and very quickly for me, he looked at me and said "you are having vascular headaches". He prescribed the Propranolol and my life changed in about a week. I can actually say, I no longer even know how often I have a headache, it is hardly ever now. I just regret that he did not put me on this 20 years ago. He said his mother used it, so apparently it has been around for quite awhile."

jjyght January 10, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Performance Anxiety: "About a year ago I read the reviews for this drug and literally jumped for joy I was so excited to hear others experiences. Since an embarrassing speech in High School I have had a horrible fear of public speaking effecting my college and work life. I told my doctor I wanted to try this and she prescribed my 15 mg. For the first time in my college career I could make it through a speech without panicking. ANY type of public speaking, including introducing myself, used to freak me out so bad. Propranolol has saved my life!!"

shy_student (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 4, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Migraine Prevention: "I was suffering from migraines for over a year before I sought treatment. By then I was having one every other day. The day I didn't have one, I was washed out and drained. Within a week of starting propranolol, my migraines were gone. I haven't had a single headache of any type in two months. I also haven't had any side effects. Well, until today. Not really a side effect though. I missed three pills and started getting dizzy, nauseous and headachy. So it's actually a side effect of NOT taking my medicine."

Bijimo (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Anxiety: "Absolutely incredible. Tried Xanax the first time with horrible side effects, switched to propranolol and it honestly was too good to be true. I couldn't believe that it actually worked. Totally doubted medication until I was prescribed propranolol and my PTSD med."

Fmarieek December 22, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Panic Disorder: "I've had major depression, severe generalized anxiety, and a hefty helping of social anxiety too. Working in the medical field I've tried near everything. Benzos had breakthrough panic attacks near daily and they are so addictive I didn't want to go down that path, so my doc switched me to propranolol. I took my first capsule that night and slept past 3am for the first time in 5 years. I honestly think it saved my life. I've been on propranolol 60mg extended release (combined with my antidepressants) for two years. The only side effect that I've ever noticed is that sometimes I feel a bit groggy in the morning until I get in the shower. I can live with that. I recommend it over benzodiazepines to anyone with panic or anxiety issues."

EinahpetsRx December 21, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

For Performance Anxiety: "I had massive anxiety about public speaking for a long time, I was worried about the fact that I would come across nervous as I usually experienced the usual symptoms from the adrenaline like my heart beating fast and my voice sounding shaky. I found in the recent presentations I have done that by taking propranolol (40mg) an hour or so before the presentation I had absolutely no symptoms of anxiety and so could perform well. I would highly recommend this to anyone who gets nervous about public speaking."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2016