User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Inderal LA, Hemangeol, Inderal XL InnoPran XL

Propranolol has an average rating of 8.3 out of 10 from a total of 1,118 ratings on Drugs.com. 78% of those users who reviewed Propranolol reported a positive effect, while 11% reported a negative effect.

Performance Anxiety
Heart Attack
Summary of Propranolol reviews 8.3 1,118 reviews

Reviews for Propranolol

Dennis May 13, 2021

For Anxiety: “I will be using propranolol next Wednesday for the first time. My step daughter is getting married and my wife who doesn’t know I’m terrified of public speaking has told me and correctly so that I must give a toast. Needless to say I am terrified. I have been in situations, management etc where I have had to speak in public. One time when called on in a meeting of about 60 managers to tell an experience I completely panicked and said nonsense. So embarrassing. Another as each manager was supposed to introduce themselves to new recruits I pretended I had an an emergency phone call just so I didn’t have to speak. Another time I was called upon to read a review and not able to come up with an excuse as it was so sudden started to read. My voice was quivering and I felt so embarrassed that I thought I was going to have to quit my job. I will be trying propranolol in a week as I got a prescription from my doctor.”

Micheal · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 12, 2021

For Migraine Prevention: “This medication saved me from headaches, but there is a heavy price to pay, I don't feel alive, I have constant tension and depression that I get after every dose. S much of my life is awful on this drug - I'm constantly feeling like a robot but at the same time I have a lot of negative emotions. What is the point when it is impossible to feel anything other than tension and depression 24/7 IDK, but yes my life with extreme headaches is even worse now on this. So this might prevent some suffering although it is borderline torture to be honest”

Mags · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 24, 2021

For Anxiety: “I had severe anxiety following a traumatic experience, with insomnia and constant severe nausea. Eventually six months in I was offered propranolol and everything changed. My nausea went and that gave me headspace to work on the anxious thoughts through self help and cbt. I had no side effects. I only took them regularly for about a month though I still keep some and have occasionally taken one to deal with the physical effects of facing scary events such as giving a presentation. Highly recommended.”

Dani · Taken for less than 1 month May 25, 2020

For Anxiety: “I was prescribed 10 mg propranolol when required but I take it every morning because it lasts all day and I can actually socialize without anxiety for the first time in years. I’m amazed. I am able to be relaxed. No more racing heart, no shaking, no stuttering, no sweating, and I can look people in the eyes. I can just be chill. I am so grateful. I haven’t noticed any side effects. I have been on it for a week.”

Anonymous January 18, 2021

For Anxiety: “For almost 10 years the Clonazepam kept all of my panic attacks away and my anxiety was almost non existent. Then about a year ago, the Clonazepam seemed to stop working and I began having attacks again. When the pandemic hit in March 2020, my anxiety soared to new levels and I was referred to a Psychiatrist to assist in finding the right medication(s). I was put on Buspar, Zoloft and Gabapentin for sleep. However, I kept having heart racing, which made my anxiety go through the roof. She then prescribed 80mg Propranolol ER. After only a few days, my heart was no longer racing, my mind was quiet, and all panic attacks disappeared! It’s now been 3 weeks and I can’t begin to explain the relief! I know people think Beta Blockers are only for Blood Pressure/Heart issues, but off label they are also prescribed for Panic Disorder and Anxiety! This has by far been the most helpful medication I have ever been on! It’s also a very safe medication!”

Jonesy March 11, 2021

For Anxiety: “I suffered a major panic attack in the first lockdown resulting in ambulance being called thinking I was having a heart attack. I was prescribed propranolol and told to take 40mg so I did I was still having about 6-7 anxiety/panick attacks a day so was told to up my dosage to 80mg still having attacks I was told to increase the dosage to the maximum of 110mg a day. It helped with the attacks but I was so exhausted off them I couldn't function properly, felt spacey and dizzy was in a right mess but it kept the attacks at bay so was worth it. The doctor said the side effects were because my body was adjusting to the dosage. Now I'm used to them after being on them for nearly a year I don't get any side effects at all. I still get the anxiety thoughts and slight sweating now and again but it doesn't develop into a full blown attack which is a massive relief as I was petrified of them. Anxiety has gotta be one of the worst conditions in the world, in my experience anyway.”

Alphabravo33 · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 31, 2019

For Anxiety: “This drug propranolol works well for anxiety on a low dose of 10mg twice a day for me. However at a higher dose of 20 mgs twice a day, it was horrible! I had every side affect in the book at that dosage. The dosage makes a big difference. My wife takes 40 mg twice a day for migraines and has zero side effects. I guess we are all different. These reviews would be a lot more helpful if reviewers listed their dosage and how many times per day they take the medication. Someone taking 160 mgs a day could have a much different experience than someone taking 20 mgs a day. More detailed reviews would help!”

John · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2020

For Anxiety: “This propranolol has been a life-saver for me. I have a thyroid condition which triggers anxiety, because my heart is always racing, even when I’m not nervous, and this caused me to basically have anxiety from knowing that I sound nervous all the time — even though I’m really not. Since taking a small dose, my heart beats normally, and the world has gone back to a regular pace. Really good stuff.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 28, 2021

For Performance Anxiety: “For those of you like me who suffer severe performance/social anxiety, including rapid heartbeat, shaking, struggling to speak etc... this drug is a perfect fix. It stops your body from being overrun with adrenaline which enables you to come across calm and composed. It's so effective. Good luck to all those who suffer with this condition as it can really impact ones life.”

queenofcupcakes · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 29, 2021

For Anxiety: “Oh my God, this is the medication that saved my life ! I suffer from generalized anxiety where I go to bed and wake up with heart palpitations and racing thoughts. I always had shaky hands and sometimes with an unknown cause. My anxiety got worse during the pandemic and so I developed facial twitches. It decreased my confidence way too much since I would go out and meet people and that would cause me too much anxiety. I would try to smile just to be friendly, but it was a nightmare. I would feel like people are looking at my facial tremor and judging me. I was put on escitalopram for 6 months and I took CBT as well. However, medication did not suit me really well as to the fact I'm only 20 years old and the side effects were serious. Then, a miracle happened ..THANK YOU PROPRANOLOL ! I was prescribed Propranolol 10 mg in the morning and 10 mg in the night. A sum of 20mg per day .. and my goodness, did everything change. Wish I knew about Propranolol sooner.”

Ben April 17, 2021

For Anxiety: “After experiencing a random fall due to low blood pressure during my night shift as a police officer, this was followed by 9 days of crippling debilitating panic attacks with no understanding or reasoning what was happening to me. I was a walking zombie teetering on the edge of a full blown panic attack every second of the day for 9 days, with attacks happening sporadically. I finally phoned 111 and said I was in crisis and was having suicidal thoughts during the attacks. Anything was better than being here experiencing them. The switched on DR prescribed 10mg Propranolol 3 x a day. I cannot explain the effect this has had on me enough. Over the course of the first 2 doses, I can only describe it as before I was on this I was wanting to do something to end my life early in the morning due to these crippling attacks, and now on it I am back to being myself again.”

Nick Name February 23, 2021

For Anxiety: “My presenting was so bad at work they actually signed me up for training. Nothing worked because the issue was not related to technique or preparation, I just hated public speaking because of my body's physical reaction to the stress. I took 10mg 1.5 hours before and another 5mg 45min before a big presentation and I did a great job, my boss also complimented me on how I handled questions. I also took 10mg before a different meeting and at some point I said to myself "I can't wait to go and get this over with" Typically I would be thinking "I hope we run out of time or they forget to cover my section. I plan on taking max 10-20mg a week, hoping that once I can disassociate stress from speaking I won't need it any longer.”

Justme · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2021

For Anxiety: “Started on this 2 months ago after being so fearful to take it. The GP had prescribed 40mg twice a day but because of my anxiety I took 20mg twice a day. It definitely works for keeping my panic attacks at bay I just need to work on the anxiety now as SSRIs don't like me and I don't like them. I had a few side effects at 1st of cold hands and feet but that went after about a week. I would definitely recommend for panic attacks. I don't normally leave reviews but this has helped me a lot so I had to speak out”

Benzene · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2020

For Anxiety: “Been on it for about a week and I love it. This was prescribed to me for anxiety as well as citalopram and I could tell the effects of it from the first day. No elevated heart rate from a stressful situation, no increase in blood to brain, no anxiety! I stay completely grounded and in the moment. Plus, so far no side effects. It's a god send! I'll share my experiences after a month or two as well.”

Newbie101 December 22, 2020

For Anxiety: “I have tried both the normal propranolol and the extended release. Normal: for me it takes about 40-50mg to have any effect. You still feel anxious but the physical symptoms just don’t start. It’s amazing. Ideal for things like stage fright. Extended release: when my anxiety became too much I was put on the extended release (80mg every morning). After a day it felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. No racing heart, no shaking etc . When the physical symptoms were gone it was much easier to manage the mental side of it. My rating: Try the normal if it’s for things like stage fright but if it’s a daily occurrence you may be better off with the extended release. 10/10”

D · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2019

For Anxiety: “I work as a barber in London , been cutting for 7 years now , love my job work with great people. ThenBANGGG!! Anxiety, panic attacks come from no where !!!! Struggled going to work the worst thing about it all is that the blushing I got all over my neck and face was a joke. It got to the point were I looked like a freak. It was killing me , a vicious cycle. The doctor recommended 40mg propranolol to take twice daily, only took 40 mg and it works a treat no blushing!!!!!!! Still a few butterflies but not to bad. No side effects maybe a bit more of a appetite. I couldn't recommend enough to people. I wish you all well in your journey to conquer anxiety. Remember you are not alone. God bless.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 11, 2020

For Anxiety: “Well I have been on this medication propranolol for anxiety for over 3 years now. I take 40mg 3 times a day it helps my anxiety no end before I wasn't on this medication I would get severe anxiety attacks to the point where I was experiencing physical symptoms such as heart palpitations and chest pain and a racing heart rate which was scary due to anxiety. Ever ever since I have taken this medication I feel more calmer and spaced out I do get 1 side effect though and that is tiredness but that is normal I can live with that side effect I am so pleased with this medication would highly recommend if you have anxiety. And stage fright”

Janbee · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2020

For Anxiety: “I’m a female, 23, 125 lbs, taking propranolol 10mg for anxiety. This medication has worked really well for treating my fast heart rate when I get anxiety (120-145 bpm). I was very hesitant at first to take this as I was nervous for the side effects (darn you anxiety!) but I did not get any side effects! I have found that it’s better to take this before you know you’re going into a situation that will make you nervous. However, if you take it in the morning it will help all day. I have taken two 10mg while having a panic attack and it did work within 5-10 minutes. I definitely think this med is a short term solution for anxiety but I will continue taking as it has saved me so many times.”

BestCureEver · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 15, 2021

For Performance Anxiety: “Ever since a bad nervous, shaking, breakdown ad hoc impromptu talk in my 9th grade speech class activated by my teacher in high school at age 15, I've been petrified of public speaking. I dropped classes in high school and college where there was a presentation required. I limited my career advancement where presentations would be required. Over the years I advanced anyway and would be required to manage and speak in front of large groups. I still had the same dread and potential bad side effects. I finally researched and found this drug at 53 years old. I'm now 55 years old and a senior manager. I needed this 40 years ago. Tell your doctor it's for performance anxiety; apparently used by many musicians and artists over the years. I wish it was more well known back in the day. For those doing presentations. 20mg 1.5 hour before, 20mg 1 hour before, 20mg 30 minutes before. All will be good!”

sm76uk · Taken for less than 1 month November 9, 2020

For Anxiety: “My anxiety gets really bad to the point I fear for my health which brings on a panic attack. I was prescribed these but was scared to take in case of bad side effects. I bit the bullet and they worked a treat but stopped taking them after first one due to my mouth and throat becoming really dry to the point it made me cough a little and felt sort of like my throat was closing a little. Anyone else had this side effect and did they stop or carry on?”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 30, 2017

For Anxiety: “I'm terrified of medication.... Basically a phobia, I have severe panic attacks.... If your like me... Try this drug! Made me confident around anyone! Amazing drug for anyone with social anxiety or panic attacks! It helps me in every single aspect of my life. Work, relationships, in every way I was more confident and basically the person I always wanted to be. Confident! No anxiety holding me back! Still terrified of trying new medications but this is one drug I'm so glad I took... And I still take when I feel like I need it. Oh and best part... I have no side effects! At all. I'm the type of person who will panic over even a small side effect and stop taking a medication because of it.... But with this medicine I feel amazing.”

T. O. · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2021

For Anxiety: “Military vet with a metal spine, single dad, moved cross country and got surgery during a pandemic, yadeyah. Life caught up with me and I wound up having some nasty heart palpitations/flutters from what was thankfully only anxiety and stress. Chest pain, limb pain, cold toes, tingling, faint feelings, restlessness, you name it. Wound up in the ER and Urgent Care three time over three weeks, when a smart P.A. finally gave me something for all these symptoms: Propranolol. Took 20mg as needed and my heart and other symptoms immediately calmed down. Ironically, the groggy feeling from it initially made my anxiety worse for a day. Probably the mental game, which this won’t help with much. But once you’re over the first dose it should help if you’re dealing with similar physical symptoms of anxiety. Definitely calms this one down and takes the edge off. Bonus: I lucid-dreamt, that was fun/interesting.”

Gail · Taken for less than 1 month September 3, 2020

For Anxiety: “I have been on propranolol for 4 days, I am suppose to take a dose of10 mg 2 times a day. It made me really sick so I cut back to 5 mg and the side effects are gone. I hope this works. I can't live shaking like I was.”

Turly · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2020

For Panic Disorder: “I had major issues with SSRIs. I think it’s because I didn’t need an increase in serotonin so they gave me horrendous side effects. I found this webpage and asked my Dr to try propranolol as my most common symptoms were a raving heart and an intense adrenaline rush. It had been months of my fight or flight “switch” being turned on and this medication was able to switch it off. Along with meditation, deep breathing, and positive thinking...the anxiety is practically gone. I truly felt that I was going to be stuck feeling AWFUL for the rest of my life. I’m so thankful for this medication and I encourage you to try it if you have had issues with SSRIs. I”

dtt November 14, 2014

For Performance Anxiety: “Used it today for a work presentation and it worked. At some point later in the day I had to hold back the tears thinking about how my life would have been different had I known about this medicine. I'm 42 years old and wish I knew about this 20 years ago.”

Keke · Taken for less than 1 month August 26, 2019

For Anxiety: “I’ve had anxiety for a few years now and recently it has been crippling. I’ve been taking propranolol for a week now and I can’t believe how alive I feel. For the first time in years I feel normal. I’m still a bit anxious first thing in the morning before I take it but after that I’m myself again. Hope it continues to work wonders.”

carlton1 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2020

For Anxiety: “Ok here we are 3 months later, I've been taking 40mg propranolol for anxiety and they worked for the first 2 months leaving me with fatigue but taking the edge off it, like a horse with blinkers on. Now I take it and I feel worse excess sweating and nonsensical thoughts to whip up my anxiety. Ia m at a loss the doctor said increase it, and my thoughts are where does it end! I personally think I am going to decrease it by biting half the tablet and try something else. It is dreadful. I really do feel for you people suffering from anxiety, there is no easy fix, I tend to use alcohol which works, but short lived and comes with its own payoff. Ia m stuck. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.”

Pea · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2020

For Anxiety: “I've only been on propranolol for a couple of days, I was prescribed these due to constant ectopics (heart flutters) due to anxiety, however could not get them to stop. They've been a problem for a few years but they've never been so bad. This medicine has pretty much stopped my ectopics all together if not reduced them so much where I can actually relax! I would really recommend”