User Reviews for Propranolol

5.5

1 review 124 medications
Summary of Propranolol reviews 8.4 859 reviews

Reviews for Propranolol

For Performance Anxiety: "Saved my career. I’m in my early forties and have had a crippling fear of public speaking since college. I recently had a presentation in front of 50 people. I took Propranolol 10mg 2 hrs before and an additional 5 mg an hour before my public speaking role / speech (Just for the record I’m 5ft 2 / 110 lbs and my blood pressure is in the low/normal range for reference). I felt completely calm and actually enjoyed doing the presentation. It’s given me such a boost in confidence that I actually welcome the next opportunity to speak. However, It’s important to note, I was very well prepared and confident in my knowledge on the topic."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2019

For Anxiety: "This medication takes the personality out of my looks, my face. It ages me. Makes my eyes dreadful. I’m sure it’s great for some people."

Anonymous May 11, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "I don't know the legitimacy of reviews on this site, but these are all in line with what I have experienced. Stage anxiety can really hold people back in life, and it has for me for a long time. Lying awake thinking about this sort of stuff, and it used to absolutely terrify me. Propranolol has changed my life, I take one before a presentation or speech for work and I have 0 physical symptoms. I can present in front of an audience. You still need to learn how to be a good public speaker and gradually improve but it really is a miracle pill and I can't recommend it enough. Go get some if you are reading this and have a big speech you are worried about, you will absolutely smash it :)"

Jim (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2019

For Anxiety: "I've had depression and anxiety since I was 7 years old and I'm 54 years old now. I really need it to work to save me from my anxiety because it's unbearable. It's just going to take awhile. I look forward to actually feeling a little better because of this little tablet. I will be back to check in in 1 month."

Germario April 26, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "Was nervous to make a toast at a wedding - lost so much sleep over it ! Took 50 mg over the course of 3 hours before the event and worked like a charm! I had a speech written and started adding in more because I was so confident up there. Afterwards someone told me I’m such a good public speaker. Don’t give it a second thought - I wish I knew about this my whole life!"

Sarah April 23, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "I have the most terrible phobia of public speaking. I have always dreaded giving a presentation and have suffered with panic attacks due to this frustrating fear! So many people would say aww everyone gets nervous! But anyone with this phobia knows it’s so much more than just nerves! I went to the doctor and was prescribed these and wow! I cannot praise these enough! Please please please consider taking these - for me they are a game changer and I can now speak in public without shaking, going red or loosing my voice. The mental nerves are still there but no physical symptoms!"

Emilym (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 21, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking propranolol for arrhythmia for years with no problems and actually was on a very low dose. After trying several drugs for high blood pressure (HBP) resulting in horrible side effects, we increased the propranolol a little. It is doing a wonderful job at controlling the (HBP). I am a bit more tired, but it's not knocking me out, and I'm quite satisfied with this medication and how it's working."

Annie (taken for 10 years or more) April 16, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "I am a musician who has spent the majority of my life with stage fright. It was so bad sometimes that I would fake a hand injury to get out of being onstage. If you are wondering why I would go onstage at all if this is how I felt the simple reason is I love making music and I am good at it. Last weekend I did a solo performance which in the past would have had me wound up into a tight knot. I took my usual dose of 20 mg an hour before and, voila, not a single sign of the usual terror. I remember thinking to myself midway through a song, "Damn, this stuff really works!" I only wish I was aware of it decades ago. It would have spared me from a lot of stress and what's more, is when you are not crippled with fear you play so much better. Just looser and much more fluid. It actually feels nice to stand up under a spotlight now."

Nicochise April 11, 2019

For Panic Disorder: "My panic disorder often works this way. I will just be sitting there and all of a sudden I feel a surge of adrenaline. My brain starts worrying about the physical response to a surge of adrenaline which sets up a feedback loop during which my mind accentuates the physical response which heightens the mental fear which worsens the physical response and so on. Propranolol does a very good job of blunting that type of attack in my case since there is nothing going on in my head to cause panic except for what is going on in my body. It's not quite Xanax which doctors are increasingly unwilling to prescribe but it really does work to greatly lessen the physical component of a panic attack."

OriginalLHB (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "I’ve had crippling anxiety over public speaking my whole professional career. I worry for months and when I actually speak it’s an embarrassment. Outside of work I’m very confident. I struggle with all types of formal public speaking at work including introductions and accepting a card/gift at special occasions - everyone else always seems so cool, calm and able to articulate in situations where I feel like a bomb about to explode. I once got a promotion to a role that required regular speaking in front of groups. For this reason, I demoted myself. I thought I was alone in this struggle. I’ve just been prescribed propranolol and I return to work tomorrow after two weeks off. I wanted to write a comment prior to knowing if this drug works for me because I’ve read all the other comments and I’ve literally been in tears when realising there are many more out there like me. I’m so glad this has worked for most and if it works for me it’ll be a life saver."

Anna X Iety April 7, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: "Went from getting migraines 3 times weekly (lasting 12hrs), to less than 3 times yearly on the propranolol and I experienced zero side effects that I am aware of. Extremely life-changing as it pretty much alleviated this debilitating condition completely. Would recommend propranolol for Migraines"

myheaddoesnothurt (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 7, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "So yea...pretty much what everyone else on here is saying in their reviews. I had my doctor prescribe propranolol since I get a lot of performance anxiety at work when I have to present or speak in front of even a few people, or if I'm called on and it worked PERFECTLY! I took some in the morning after waking up, 40mg 3 hours later, and 40mg 3 hours after that which was 1 hour prior to a job interview in front of a panel of 6 people. I normally would've frozen up, got bad anxiety, and found a way to get out of there. But happy to say, not only did I stay, I think I did very well the whole interview! Didn't have to worry about anxiety at all! Yes, I did have normal nervousness leading up to the interview, but as soon as it began I felt more and more comfortable as it progressed and had no problem answering the questions."

Gabe (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2019

For Anxiety: "Been on this medicine going on week 3 in 2 days. I recommend it. It changed my life for the better. Currently on 20 mg 3 times a day. It took effect after a week being on it. No longer feel anxiety , no more racing heart and blood pressure so much lower and better. So glad my doctor prescribed a medicine works for me!!!"

J. DAVIS (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2019

For Anxiety: "This drug has helped some with my anxiety. I've taken it for several years and it seems to be losing it's effectiveness. I take 80mg ER daily. Now my BP is ridiculously low. 70/50. The Drs don't seem concerned but I think it's making me feel like garbage. Always fatigued and light headed. Anyone else had this problem?"

Nell (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 21, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "Just got off of lisinopril and HTC to start taking propranolol for rapid heart rate, but now blood pressure is going up so concerned about that. I've been on it barely a week was expecting it to do better with blood pressure so am going to doctor tomorrow to see what’s going on. I’m at 40 mg dose right now."

Cramberg 1 (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "Stage fright since I was around 9-10 years old. Throughout high school I then avoided every presentation scenario possible by pretending to be sick etc. These few times that I had to do it were horrific, sweating hands, shaking voice etc. Starting a new job, I get given the dreaded task of having to prepare a 45 minute presentation for what was supposed to be 2 clients, but I arrive and they call in another 6 members of their team, 8 people in the room now. Took the same dose as before, 40mg 2 hours before and 40mg 1 hour before. Lets just say miracles do happen... I owned the room. Still had the nerves inside my head, but all physical symptoms gone. I would say this - it is crucial you are confident about the information you are presenting/talking about, but as long as you have prepared that, this drug takes away all physical symptoms. I walked out of that building with one of the best feelings i've ever had, it was like i'd finally overcome my fear. Propranolol has changed my life."

realreview March 17, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "Propranolol is a miracle . I suffered from performance anxiety so much . I just run away from any presentations , debates , ielts speaking test and others . I get terrified since every time I stand and talk . I got those shakes especially my voice was trembling and disappearing and I got sweating so much . Last week my college adviser chose me to present in front of people and I just get terrified as always . So I searched up on net and from this (life saver) . I though to my self lets give it a try . I took 40mg before 45 min of the presentation. So once my presentation starts I feel the anxiety but when I just said the first word ..... my voice was steady and loud and could think well . I feel huge confident and started to speak more and more without stop . And I got people clapping after I had done my presentation and yeah this medicine is my new friend <3"

Unk833 (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "I am so grateful to have found propranolol. While in school studying court reporting, the most difficult part of my college career were tests. I could type well over 200 wpm in my sleep, but every time it came to take a test, my nerves would completely take over and I would freeze. My hands would shake uncontrollably and suddenly I couldn’t type. After 6 months of failing the same test over and over, I got this prescription & finally passed that one test the 1st time w/this med. for the 1st time ever my hands didn’t shake one bit. I remember feeling calm and was able to focus on the test rather that fighting my nerves. I don’t think I would have graduated college w/o it. I am now a court reporter which it my biggest accomplishment. Now I work as a court reporter and have the skill for this profession and thanks to this medication I was able to get to where I am at now because I was able to pass w/confidence in my skill that I worked so hard to achieve."

MelisaaT March 12, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "This medication does not solve my underlying social and performance anxiety, but it basically makes my professional life manageable. Without it, I can get fight/flight responses which completely destroys my confidence and ability to even present myself in front of a group of people without having what feels like a panic attack. Heart racing to the point that it feels like I can't get a word out. In some sense I'm disappointed that I need this to feel okay about my life, but mostly I'm just very grateful that it's there . I would recommend this to anyone who suffers with these issues. Enables you to focus on your job without having to battle your own body."

Kynes_m35 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 4, 2019

For Arrhythmia: "Took propranolol just before Xmas, was just getting the odd palpations, I'm 70 and not on any medications at all, and generally quite fit. My doctor put me on then as he said my pulse was quite fast, 80mg one tab in the morning and one tab night. First tablet OK. But after that never felt so ill, my heart was racing.. Felt no energy tired.. Sick.. Couldn't eat.. I was on them for 17 days, ended up in A&E twice ambulance the lot. Blood pressure hit the roof.. pulse was out of control. And when I came off them I went worse. It is now early March 2019 and I'm just about getting back to normal. Prior to taking them I had low blood pressure. Now it just goes up and down through taking them. Rue the day I was ever given them. Maybe not everyone reacts the same to them and they do a lot of people good.. But not for me."

Jay (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "A few months ago I had to make a best mans speech at my brothers wedding. Public speaking gives me the worse anxiety, hands shake, voice starts to tremble, and the sweat starts to pour. When I woke up in the morning I took 40mg, about 2-3 hours later I took another 40mg, and then another 40mg 2 hours later which was 30 minutes before my speech. Once my first words came out standing in front of 200 people, I realized my anxiety suddenly disappeared almost to the point where I was excited to be up in front of everyone. After my speech was done, multiple people have told me that it was the best best man speech that they have ever witnessed. This came to a total surprise because I'm normally so nervous that I forget everything I am supposed to say. For the people that really want to know how this works its simple. It also gives you the ability to think about what your saying before you say it rather then just rambling on. This drug took out my "Ughhhhs" and replaced it with short pauses."

Andrew February 28, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "Had to present to a few hundred people which would normally have me crippled with anxiety. Took 10mg when I woke up, another 10mg two hours later and 10mg half hour before talk. Standing on the stage I was a bit anxious but had zero physical symptoms. Fight or flight was fast asleep!!! I was shocked because I was able to look out at the audience without worrying what they thought and I almost enjoyed being up there. Really wish I’d known about this years ago and can’t recommend enough."

It’s-magic (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "This drug certainly does work for those who suffer performance anxiety. The dread before hand, during a presentation, standing in front of a group of people, shaky hands, dry mouth, stuttered voice, racing words. But it is not the be all and end all. It reduces the physical symptoms of anxiety. It will stop you shaking somewhat. It will stop you sweating somewhat, and help you get "the edge" to make that presentation or performance. Your voice will not be as shakey. You must also try to improve you performance techniques. This drug will help calm to a little extent some of the things that unsettle you during a presentation. If you do not know presentation skills, if you do not know your subject you are presenting, then this drug will do little to aid it. A pharmaceutical fix to you being unprepared will NOT WORK. For me, someone who takes this drug to help me through presentations - the type where I am on a podium in front of an audience of hundreds - it works to steady the nerves."

SJ73R (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 20, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "I’m loud by nature and have a history of asthma — and nerves. But I‘ve poured the things I’m passionate about in my career. That once resulted in a dreadful, “My Cousin Vinnie” scene. More sedatives, more meditation, more preparation for public speaking were doing it, but left me feeling like I was gambling every time I got on my feet (my writing is top notch, so I wasn’t about to lose my license, but) I just wanted more control so I felt as confident on my feet as I did in my writing. I don’t believe in “magic pills” but this comes as close to one as there is. It feels like an introvert’s cushion in the professional world. I have a strong constitution, so no side effects. I’ve been with my doctor for over a decade and he’s said the pill either works wonderfully, or not at all. Get a good doctor and see if it works for you .... I’ve never been so pleasantly surprised by myself."

Happy it worked (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2019

For Anxiety: "Seems to work well for an as and when, it helped my mood to begin with but that effect has wained over time, now it helps me fall asleep and helps with my random cardiac episodes, I do suffer from anxiety but I do not believe these particular episodes are related because I know how a panic attack feels, most recently I was sat on the sofa with my son asleep on my lap and it suddenly came on, chest pains, breathlessness, feeling weak but not overly faint, lifting my left arm hurt, the tablets eliminated all cardiac symptoms and helps me feel more comfortable with my anxiety issues, I would not recomend taking any medication every day but for an as and when treatment it has worked very well for the most part, only issue is it only treats the physical symptoms and helps calm you to an extent but the worry is always there"

Blagbob (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2019