User Reviews for Propranolol

5.5

1 review 124 medications
Summary of Propranolol reviews 8.4 785 reviews

Reviews for Propranolol

For Performance Anxiety: "Useful and surprisingly effective to manage the physical manifestations of performance anxiety (in my case public speaking, which includes any formal time when I'm asked to speak to a group - I'm fine if I am simply participating in a volunteer capacity in a discussion - just that I get irrationally worried when I'm told ahead of time that I need to present, participate, lead a discussion etc). In such cases, I'll loose sleep, be stressed, anxious, worried and debilitated. Well beyond normal jitters. This medication really helps keep the body calm. Have used in about 3 times in the past few months. Only thing I wish, is that it would calm the pre-presenting worries, which still persist. Hoping that over time, with enough events without physical manifestations, the pre-speaking jitters and worry will subside."

CanadianGuy October 9, 2018

For Anxiety: "I lost my wonderful mum at beginning of the year to Cancer and on my Sons 10th Birthday. I have never had panic attacks before so to have my 1st was scary. I have since had several and whilst driving even more so. rief has taken its toll on me and bringing back my mum won't happen but this drug has helped slow my heart and reduce my panic attacks."

Littlejem (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "Was on this medication for 3 weeks and it was the worst 3 weeks ever. Had diorrhea, night sweats, fatigue and terrible palpitations and anxiety."

Bella (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2018

For Anxiety: "I've been taking Propranolol for about 3 years for anxiety only in the winter months. I normally take 20mg twice a day. It is excellent for stopping the physical side effects which you think other people will notice (shaking etc) so makes you more confident to face anxious situations. It does not change your mind or thinking in any way. I have had no side effects whatsoever from this medicine. I find it very quick acting; for example you can take it 30 minutes before an anxious situation."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 7, 2018

For Anxiety: "After having a few bad presentations where I got major shakes and voice tremor, I decided to give this a go. I seemed to have developed major stage fright some where along my career. Due to deliver a Presentation to 150 people and use a hand held mic. This pill is a game changer. I took 10mg two hours before and then 20mg an hour before my slot. I practised heavily (I always prepare)and used my kids kareoke machine to get used to my voice through a mic! I felt calm on the actual morning after first pill took effect and I absolutely nailed the presentation. No shakes, not even many nerves and my mind was focussed. I did suffer a bad headache later in the day and that nights sleep was poor but it was worth it. I wouldn’t hesitate to use this again ad-hoc when such situations arise. I’m not normally one who leaves reviews but if this helps just one person with the same problem as me, it’s been worth it."

Mrs Smith October 5, 2018

For Performance Anxiety: "Let me tell you guys about the greatest drug ever created. I have been terrified of public speaking since about 2012. I am now a senior in college and have avoided presentations my whole college career. Finally, I had to do a presentation AND in front of someone I liked. I was mortified of freaking out mid presentation and not being able to even say a sentence. I lose my breath in presentations usually, it’s awful, it’s ruined my life. So on the day of the presentation I took 20mg of propranolol about 4 hours before and 20mg about 30 min before. I still had extreme mental anxiety about it, but once I got up there and started speaking, I felt like I could talk for HOURS without any physical anxiety. It even took away my mental anxiety while I was presenting due to none of the physical symptoms manifesting. PLEASE TALK TO YOU DOCTOR ABOUT THIS DRUG IF YOU SUFFER FROM STAGE FREIGHT."

123456789 October 3, 2018

For Anxiety: "Suffered horrendously from severe panic attacks on a daily basis. GP didn’t want to increase my SSRI dosage, so placed me on 40mg of these. Worked wonders! Though, I can definitely feel a difference if I accidentally miss a dose."

JJ13 October 2, 2018

For Anxiety: "Started taking Propranopol 10mg twice a day for GAD with little effect. Due to personal reasons my anxiety increased and my dosage over a period of a couple of months was increased to 20mg three times a day. Miracle! No anxiety, effortless breathing, rational thinking. The only downside is interrupted sleep, could be a coincidence as l am also taking Venlafaxine. No side affects that l have noticed, maybe dry mouth. Would recommend !"

Smithy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2018

For Performance Anxiety: "A true life saver for those who struggle with fear of public speaking. I had been terrified of having a panic attack while speaking in front of a crowd but this medication keeps me calm and confident. I still get nervous before a speaking event so I also add Valium to calm my nerves the night before and the day of the event. This combination I highly recommend to anyone. One calms the physical symptoms and the other the psychological..."

Anonymous October 2, 2018

For Performance Anxiety: "I used to be fine with public speaking and had an incident of major anxiety when speaking on an international trip. Total freeze up and it's thrown me off for over 2 years since. It's absolutely impacted work performance and confidence. Found this site and got a script. Used today for first time on a presentation to 100 people and holy moly did it work. Felt no anxiety and more direct and on point than usual. It's so relieving to have a solution and to finish a presentation without feeling embarrassed. Now, I know that I can do this. Still want to beat it without needing medication, but an unbelievable short term solution to a really bad problem."

Dravis (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2018

For Performance Anxiety: "* 60 year old male * 225 lbs * Fear of public speaking since first terrible experience in 7th grade * Countless public speaking challenges and traumatic events over my life and career * I’ve lost track of how many public speaking requests I’ve excused myself from. * managed everything else in my career splendidly * Found propanolol * spoke in front of 500 people last week without even a tremor. * Years of mental pain and suffering gone with 50 mg Dose: 1 Xanax 3 hr before 20 mg beta 2 hr before 20 mg beta 1 hr before 10 mg beta 30 min before Maybe overkill but who cares - it worked Only side effect I noticed - a little bit of sweating but I was in a jacket and tie so maybe it was just a little warm. It’s actually criminal that more people suffering from public speaking anxiety don’t know about this. I will not be shy about sharing this with everyone I know and even people that work for me who I can see struggle with similar issues."

Wish it was sooner September 25, 2018

For Performance Anxiety: "To justwannabnorm: You must not take as much as 4x20mg in a short period of time. To take them 15 min before presentation is to close. The effect of propranolol is best if you take 2x20 mg 1 hour before the presentation. The effect of that dose is very good 1-3 hours after you took them. Also remember that you also must prepare very well what you shall present. Then the 2x20mg will make you able to talk with no problems at all, even if you feel nervous in the brain. The nervousness will stay in brain and be blocked from choking the heart, throat and lungs. Good luck brother:-)"

Guest 210918 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 21, 2018

For Performance Anxiety: "Very social guy, and I'm in sales for a living. However for some reason I have this nagging performance anxiety that arises randomly when put on the spot to speak after I build something up too much in my head. Or when I know I have some presentation coming up. I'm talking racing heart, catching my breathe, barely able to muster a couple of sentences. Feel like a damn fool. (I honestly think it all started when a grade 10 teacher would randomly pick me to read things in front of the class unexpectedly.. !) I'm a musician and can sing/play no problem in front of people, but when it comes to speaking without propranolol I'm a mess, with propranolol I'm quite good. Safe to say this drug has helped me immensely, including in my career, where many times you can't shy away, you have to face your fears."

richy (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 20, 2018

For Performance Anxiety: "Life altering! I have spent most of my career avoiding public speaking. Even introducing myself caused me to have red blotches on my chest, shaking hands and a loud noise in my head that blocked my ability to say anything in front of people. I could easily be further along in my career if I had known about this miracle drug earlier on. I finally talked to my doctor about my stage fright. He prescribed Propranolol - 10mg up to however I needed. The best part for me is that it was situational. Take about 45 min prior to presenting. I did not have time to try it out - took 30mg prior to speaking in front of approx 100 people and it worked beautifully!!! This does not replace not being prepared. My anxiety was gone and I was truly focused on the message. As far as side effects, my throat was really, dry! I had to take a drink a couple times during my presentation. This has died down since I've taken it more recently. After getting home, I crash. Overall, it's worth the side effects."

Professional Woman September 19, 2018

For Performance Anxiety: "I have historically had mild stage fright which gets better or worse depending on context. It is worse mostly when I have to improvise, including introducing myself. It used to be a little less bad when I rehearsed my act into an unnatural puppet act. But the whole thing worsened at age 48 after a couple of bad experiences and when I actually invented excuses to leave rooms - the “flight” in practice. My therapist recommended Propranolol and it was fantastic! Firstly, just reading all the reviews on this board, that fear of fear days before the event reduced sharply. Then on the day of my presentation, heart rate and shakiness increased as usual hours before so I took 20mg 3hrs before, 10mg 90mins before and 5mg 30mins before. I was not nervous. Gave me control before I walked on the stage. Different to others on this board, I felt it working before the speech and it gave me a total confidence boost. Such a pity I did not find out about this sooner."

ManagementConsultant (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2018

For Anxiety: "This is an absolute miracle drug for anyone suffering from extreme blushing. For me, it happens during any stressful situation and it’s completely debilitating. In case it’s psychosomatic, I’ve tried CBT, general therapy and hypnotism but nothing worked. I even remember reading about a teenager who committed suicide because of this and people who have risky surgeries to correct it. At work, my blushing interfered with all my meetings, presentations and interactions with my colleagues. People frequently asked me if I needed an ambulance due to an allergic reaction or a panic attack. I eventually gave up my public facing career and struggled at interviews for more solitary and lower paying positions. Finally a doctor prescribed me this medication and I no longer experience ANY blushing whatsoever. It’s so sad that this could have saved that boy’s life if it had only been prescribed to him... I only take 5-10 mg to keep my blushing at bay."

Finally September 17, 2018

For Anxiety: "I have bad anxiety just been separated with my husband. I don’t know if this will work I’ve been on and off I think reading reviews help I should take them often. It’s horrible who ever goes through it I hope it’s only temporary for me. I don’t want to live like this with constant anxiety want to feel normal again. Am on citalopram and propranalol"

Katz (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2018

For Performance Anxiety: "I was terrified when it was my turn to speak for a few minutes in my AA meetings, heart pounding, my social anxiety there for all to see. Instead of listening to the share of the others, I was consumed with anxiety and was not even able to get more than 2 sentences out when its my turn to share. Taking the Propanol relaxes me and I am doing much better sharing--it gets rid of the dreaded fight or flight feelings. I'm working on my self-esteem and the Propanolol removes the anxiety and I'm able to share with more confidence. I take 40 mg. about 2 hours before the meeting and another 40 mg right before the meeting, Next meeting I'm going to take 40mg 2 hours before only. Sharing in meetings is an important part of my sobriety and Propanol olmakes sharing easier for me--so grateful I have it!"

Celine (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2018

For Performance Anxiety: "I only take this before a presentation or a stressful meeting and it seemed to work a few times but..... I had a presentation to do and I felt pretty good about it because I had my "magic pills"! :( Well I took one (20mg) 4 hours prior cuz I was nervous, then 1 more 90 min before and then 2 more 60 prior. (note: I thought I'd be leading off the presentations but I didn't present until 45 minutes after it started). Well, I totally could hardly talk, felt totally flushed, couldn't look anyone in the eye and felt like I didn't take any pills at all!! Is this because too much time had elapsed for it to be effective? I want to take MORE next time! Will that help? Maybe 4 pills next time right before (15 min prior)?"

justwannabnorm (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2018

For Panic Disorder: "I was prescribed propranolol for panic attacks. This drug was almost as effective as a benzodiazepine. It calmed the very uncomfortable physical effects of having a panic attack. It did nothing for my racing thoughts, but I was able to control those after my body was calm. Sadly, I had to discontinue using it because it gave me double vision and extremely heavy eyelids. It is a fantastic alternative to other anxiety meds since it isn’t addictive. I’d recommend propranolol to anyone who suffers from panic disorder."

Ashley (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 7, 2018

Inderal (propranolol) for Performance Anxiety: "I've suffered with workplace performance anxiety (specifically blushing) for as long as I remember, talking in front of big groups, interviewing etc. So I started taking Inderal adhoc with great success, no blushing! On Monday I had an interview at 11am so I took 1 at 8:30, 1 at 9:30 and 1 at 10:30. At 1pm I started to get stomach ache and by 2pm I went bent over in agony. I curled up on the sofa waiting for it to subside but the pain was excruciating. At 5pm I called a health line who advised I went to A&E. My breaths were getting shorter, I started to feel nauseous and my stomach felt like I'd been stabbed. I threw up numerous times in the waiting room, they gave me anti-nausea drugs and an IV drip. I started to feel 'normal' again and was sent home. 3 days later and I am still suffering from slight stomach pain, like an uncomfortable bloated pain. I feel too scared to take them again and I'm so sad because they did seem like a miracle drug for the first few months!"

Davs September 5, 2018

For Performance Anxiety: " I have had performance anxiety for as long as I can remember. So bad I have done anything to put off doing presentations. It’s really affected my life. My heart pounds, I go red and shake and it’s just awful. I have been seeing a hypnotist for help. I had a presentation coming up and my anxiety was through the roof. I found reviews for these tablets and got them from an online pharmacy. Well these are a game changer. I only took 10mg. Did presentation and was fine. Ok you still get the nerves but no physical symptoms so therefore increased my confidence. If you suffer in the same way please try them. You only have to take them as and when which is great. Feel like I have my life back and it feels amazing x"

Shaker (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2018

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I'm a 30 year old nurse who shakes. It's a benign familial essential tremor, my Gram (grandmother) has the same shaking of her hands. We both take propranolol. I take 60mg ER (extended release), I've been on this for approximately six months, and worked up to this dose from 10mg twice daily. Works great. No side effects (and I'm only 125pounds), no more shaking."

Miss Shakey Hands (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2018

For Anxiety: "After 2 weeks of shakes, shivers, sweating bucketloads, wanting to jump out from my own skin from sickening restlessness, palpitations, chestpain, nausea and 2 weeks of herbal remedies which helped ziltch. My GP put me on 40mg Propranolol. And lo and behold sweating sickness with shakes and shivers stopped, I am able to concentrate and looks like I finally will be able to have a decent night’s sleep! Ps: I can’t take SSRIs and definitely don’t want benzo’s thus this is perfect for me thus far. Plus it protects heart from a heart attack which is very likely due to strong family history at the young age. + treats migraine. 3 birds shot with one tablet and feels like I won the lottery :)"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2018

For Anxiety: "For years I’ve struggled with anxiety and a constant feeling of fight or flight- especially when PMSing. Then I started getting night sweats with no medical explanation. And I’ve had slightly high BP with pounding in my neck. A new doctor diagnosed me with generalized anxiety disorder and prescribed this beta blocker - 40 mg at night as needed. The first dose gave me a really bad stomach ache so I cut it in half. I still have some night sweats but I feel a million times better. No anger, no pounding BP, lower pulse, less frustration and I just feel good. Still hope to figure out the night sweats but happy with this med."

Hot headed in Nv (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...

Micromedex® Care Notes