User Reviews for Propranolol

5.5

1 review 124 medications
Summary of Propranolol reviews 8.4 844 reviews

Reviews for Propranolol

For Performance Anxiety: "Stage fright since I was around 9-10 years old. Throughout high school I then avoided every presentation scenario possible by pretending to be sick etc. These few times that I had to do it were horrific, sweating hands, shaking voice etc. Starting a new job, I get given the dreaded task of having to prepare a 45 minute presentation for what was supposed to be 2 clients, but I arrive and they call in another 6 members of their team, 8 people in the room now. Took the same dose as before, 40mg 2 hours before and 40mg 1 hour before. Lets just say miracles do happen... I owned the room. Still had the nerves inside my head, but all physical symptoms gone. I would say this - it is crucial you are confident about the information you are presenting/talking about, but as long as you have prepared that, this drug takes away all physical symptoms. I walked out of that building with one of the best feelings i've ever had, it was like i'd finally overcome my fear. Propranolol has changed my life."

realreview March 17, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "Propranolol is a miracle . I suffered from performance anxiety so much . I just run away from any presentations , debates , ielts speaking test and others . I get terrified since every time I stand and talk . I got those shakes especially my voice was trembling and disappearing and I got sweating so much . Last week my college adviser chose me to present in front of people and I just get terrified as always . So I searched up on net and from this (life saver) . I though to my self lets give it a try . I took 40mg before 45 min of the presentation. So once my presentation starts I feel the anxiety but when I just said the first word ..... my voice was steady and loud and could think well . I feel huge confident and started to speak more and more without stop . And I got people clapping after I had done my presentation and yeah this medicine is my new friend <3"

Unk833 (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "I am so grateful to have found propranolol. While in school studying court reporting, the most difficult part of my college career were tests. I could type well over 200 wpm in my sleep, but every time it came to take a test, my nerves would completely take over and I would freeze. My hands would shake uncontrollably and suddenly I couldn’t type. After 6 months of failing the same test over and over, I got this prescription & finally passed that one test the 1st time w/this med. for the 1st time ever my hands didn’t shake one bit. I remember feeling calm and was able to focus on the test rather that fighting my nerves. I don’t think I would have graduated college w/o it. I am now a court reporter which it my biggest accomplishment. Now I work as a court reporter and have the skill for this profession and thanks to this medication I was able to get to where I am at now because I was able to pass w/confidence in my skill that I worked so hard to achieve."

MelisaaT March 12, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "This medication does not solve my underlying social and performance anxiety, but it basically makes my professional life manageable. Without it, I can get fight/flight responses which completely destroys my confidence and ability to even present myself in front of a group of people without having what feels like a panic attack. Heart racing to the point that it feels like I can't get a word out. In some sense I'm disappointed that I need this to feel okay about my life, but mostly I'm just very grateful that it's there . I would recommend this to anyone who suffers with these issues. Enables you to focus on your job without having to battle your own body."

Kynes_m35 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 4, 2019

For Arrhythmia: "Took propranolol just before Xmas, was just getting the odd palpations, I'm 70 and not on any medications at all, and generally quite fit. My doctor put me on then as he said my pulse was quite fast, 80mg one tab in the morning and one tab night. First tablet OK. But after that never felt so ill, my heart was racing.. Felt no energy tired.. Sick.. Couldn't eat.. I was on them for 17 days, ended up in A&E twice ambulance the lot. Blood pressure hit the roof.. pulse was out of control. And when I came off them I went worse. It is now early March 2019 and I'm just about getting back to normal. Prior to taking them I had low blood pressure. Now it just goes up and down through taking them. Rue the day I was ever given them. Maybe not everyone reacts the same to them and they do a lot of people good.. But not for me."

Jay (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "A few months ago I had to make a best mans speech at my brothers wedding. Public speaking gives me the worse anxiety, hands shake, voice starts to tremble, and the sweat starts to pour. When I woke up in the morning I took 40mg, about 2-3 hours later I took another 40mg, and then another 40mg 2 hours later which was 30 minutes before my speech. Once my first words came out standing in front of 200 people, I realized my anxiety suddenly disappeared almost to the point where I was excited to be up in front of everyone. After my speech was done, multiple people have told me that it was the best best man speech that they have ever witnessed. This came to a total surprise because I'm normally so nervous that I forget everything I am supposed to say. For the people that really want to know how this works its simple. It also gives you the ability to think about what your saying before you say it rather then just rambling on. This drug took out my "Ughhhhs" and replaced it with short pauses."

Andrew February 28, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "Had to present to a few hundred people which would normally have me crippled with anxiety. Took 10mg when I woke up, another 10mg two hours later and 10mg half hour before talk. Standing on the stage I was a bit anxious but had zero physical symptoms. Fight or flight was fast asleep!!! I was shocked because I was able to look out at the audience without worrying what they thought and I almost enjoyed being up there. Really wish I’d known about this years ago and can’t recommend enough."

It’s-magic (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "This drug certainly does work for those who suffer performance anxiety. The dread before hand, during a presentation, standing in front of a group of people, shaky hands, dry mouth, stuttered voice, racing words. But it is not the be all and end all. It reduces the physical symptoms of anxiety. It will stop you shaking somewhat. It will stop you sweating somewhat, and help you get "the edge" to make that presentation or performance. Your voice will not be as shakey. You must also try to improve you performance techniques. This drug will help calm to a little extent some of the things that unsettle you during a presentation. If you do not know presentation skills, if you do not know your subject you are presenting, then this drug will do little to aid it. A pharmaceutical fix to you being unprepared will NOT WORK. For me, someone who takes this drug to help me through presentations - the type where I am on a podium in front of an audience of hundreds - it works to steady the nerves."

SJ73R (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 20, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "I’m loud by nature and have a history of asthma — and nerves. But I‘ve poured the things I’m passionate about in my career. That once resulted in a dreadful, “My Cousin Vinnie” scene. More sedatives, more meditation, more preparation for public speaking were doing it, but left me feeling like I was gambling every time I got on my feet (my writing is top notch, so I wasn’t about to lose my license, but) I just wanted more control so I felt as confident on my feet as I did in my writing. I don’t believe in “magic pills” but this comes as close to one as there is. It feels like an introvert’s cushion in the professional world. I have a strong constitution, so no side effects. I’ve been with my doctor for over a decade and he’s said the pill either works wonderfully, or not at all. Get a good doctor and see if it works for you .... I’ve never been so pleasantly surprised by myself."

Happy it worked (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2019

For Anxiety: "Seems to work well for an as and when, it helped my mood to begin with but that effect has wained over time, now it helps me fall asleep and helps with my random cardiac episodes, I do suffer from anxiety but I do not believe these particular episodes are related because I know how a panic attack feels, most recently I was sat on the sofa with my son asleep on my lap and it suddenly came on, chest pains, breathlessness, feeling weak but not overly faint, lifting my left arm hurt, the tablets eliminated all cardiac symptoms and helps me feel more comfortable with my anxiety issues, I would not recomend taking any medication every day but for an as and when treatment it has worked very well for the most part, only issue is it only treats the physical symptoms and helps calm you to an extent but the worry is always there"

Blagbob (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2019

For Anxiety: "I developed social anxiety at around the age of 26, it would be especially heightened in stressful situations (eg job interviews, presentations) where I could develop tremors or the head, sweating, racing heart and a mind blank. I have found that propranolol has completely got rid of all physical symptoms, the fact they have gone means I can focus more on the presentation or topic of conversation and I find it the mental block has 90% disappeared in turn - I was was in a place where I thought nothing could help me, propranolol has really helped me and I would recommend it to anyone who is having severe issues with social anxiety!!"

Ols (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 12, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "..."

Always expect death (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 9, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "For years my anxiety and public speaking fears have hindered my ability to perform at work and school. My face would get sweaty and red, my heart would beat out of my chest, my voice was shaky, and I couldn't stand still. Not to mention the awkwardness I felt because I felt like everyone around me knew I was a wreck. I can function perfectly at home and with friends, and then I'm a completely different person when I'm nervous. I also had this demoralizing feeling that I failed at work and there was nothing I could do. So I went to my doctor a few weeks ago and he recommended propranolol and it changed my life in the best possible way. I tried it and let me tell you it worked! It didn't take away all of the mental anxiety, but for the first time in my career I feel like it wasn't weighted down by my anxiety. My mental clarity improved, and the physical symptoms completely went away, and for the first time I feel like I am confident at work which is incredibly liberating. Boom!"

G-Man February 6, 2019

For Anxiety: "I have tried several different medications to get rid of the overwhelming amounts of social anxiety I get nearly every day. At first I was a little skeptical about starting a new medication for anxiety especially because it's not specifically made for anxiety. After realizing how dumb and out of it xanax made me I gave it a try. Propranolol has definitely helped me overcome the day to day fears that would usually cause me to have anxiety. It takes about 5 minutes for it to work and I immediately feel relieved. I only take a 20mg tablet (immediate release) as I feel my anxiety creeping up and the anxiety is gone for the rest of the day. I've also recently taken it for migraines and it also helps get rid of them. Honestly I would recommend trying it to see how it works for you if you have good pharmacy insurance its really not expensive."

cooldogmom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 3, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: "I have been taking 80 mg of Propranolol per day for about 5 years for Migraine Prevention and High Blood Pressure. It's an added bonus for me that it also treats anxiety. I've always had mild anxiety and I blush very easily. I hardly get migraines now and I do feel calmer which is great since I had just begun to worry incessantly about my 3 kids, especially now that they are teenagers. In the beginning it made me tired but about 2 weeks later I got use to it. I believe I also have a bigger appetite and have gained about 10 pounds but to me it is worth it! Hopefully I can just stay on this drug for the rest of my life. My mom has been on beta blockers for more than 20 years and is doing well. I definitely recommend this drug for migraine prevention and anxiety"

Jo Mama (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 1, 2019

For Anxiety: "I was prescribed 80mg of propranolol for anxiety and headaches and saw no effect for around 3 weeks. After this I started experiencing chest pain, my heart skipping a beat, beating too slow, calf pain, cold hands and feet, feeling breathless and having sleep disturbances. I have now asked my doctor to lower the dose so I start 40mg today, I just want to be off this medication and I wish I never started it in the first place. I would not recommend this drug"

Ez (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "I have promised myself to share my experience when I survive my presentation in front of 10 people. So here I am - male, 40y, 165 lbs Had stage fright with the usual symptoms (red face, pounding heart, loss of mother tongue,..) all my life, was extremely scared and avoided such occasions after high school until my boss asked me in my forties and I couldn’t say no. Read reviews here about this drug and got a prescription for it. The knowledge alone to have it calmed me down until 2 days prior where I couldn’t get any night sleep. Took 40 mg 3h and 40mg 1h before. Went through it and I have to say it actually 100% works! No physical symptoms, the nervousness remained however and I think everyone in the room noticed that presentations are not my daily business. Verdict: it won’t make you to the next Obama and you will still be nervous. But you can be absolutely sure that you have no physical symptoms and with practice I truly believe anyone can be a good public speaker."

Lucky Man January 23, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: "This really helps my migraines but I'd like to give it up because of the side effects. Fatigued and low-energy. I would describe it as constantly feeling 'apathetic'. I'd like an alternative, but it seems that if a drug has a side effect of 'fatigue', I will experience it."

Fizz (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 20, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I was really excited about starting this medication. The benefits described by my doctor such as helping both my blood pressure and anxiety were very appealing. Well, I took just one dose (20mg) and had trouble breathing doing something as simple as walking out to get the mail. It should be noted I am a healthy, 30-year old male, and never experienced anything like this before. I also had severe insomnia the night I took it, despite taking a Xanax to try and get myself to sleep (which always works very well when I can’t sleep)."

GM577 (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2019

For Anxiety: "Am on propranolol 10mg and l have low thyroid, so I'm on levothyroxine 50mcg. I am always puffed out and not doing anything. I can’t get sleep and when do it’s not for long and l wake up panicking thinking I’m going to die. If I am on go all day l feel like am on battery’s need charging up."

Jenny (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2019

For Anxiety: "I work as a barber in London , been cutting for 7 years now , love my job work with great people. ThenBANGGG!! Anxiety, panic attacks come from no where !!!! Struggled going to work the worst thing about it all is that the blushing I got all over my neck and face was a joke. It got to the point were I looked like a freak. It was killing me , a vicious cycle. The doctor recommended 40mg propranolol to take twice daily, only took 40 mg and it works a treat no blushing!!!!!!! Still a few butterflies but not to bad. No side effects maybe a bit more of a appetite. I couldn't recommend enough to people. I wish you all well in your journey to conquer anxiety. Remember you are not alone. God bless."

D (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "This is the most amazing drug ever. I had severe stage fright my whole life and went through heaps of drama having to present. I went through so much skipping presentations and stressing so much over having to public speak. If you take enough of this drug and at least 1.5 hrs prior to the event then you will feel almost no physical symptoms. I still feel a little symptoms but it’s it’s definitely easily manageable. The mental anxiety will still be there."

Luke56 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "This medication makes you feel so confident, that you may feel you don't need it. Don't be fooled and know your body. I started taking this after starting a new job and suddenly began to tremble, had dry mouth, etc during basic presentations. I've noticed this in the past but was always able to manage it. I'm so glad I saw a psychiatrist and nothing was actually wrong with me. I thought so because I'm actually an extravert and enjoy talking a lot but the nervousness that would come over me made me feel as though my body was not being true to who I know myself as. Anyway, with this medication....WE HAVE OVERCOME...."

Anonymous January 15, 2019

For Anxiety: "I have severe anxiety, and propranolol does nothing to treat it except for lower my heart rate. I think it would be good to use for basic or shallow-rooted fears like public speaking or events like that. However, as someone who has panic attacks daily and is currently not on any SSRI/SNRI’s, life is pretty miserable. I don’t recommend it for my situation."

rabbit (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 14, 2019

For Performance Anxiety: "Love it. Truly a life saver.. makes life much easier as far as pubilc speaking goes."

Inderaltryer January 13, 2019