User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Propranolol Rating Summary

9.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Performance Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat Performance Anxiety

"FREEDOM!! That’s what this gave me. I have done some solos in church and my heart would race, my voice and hands trembled. I love singing and hated that I could not share that with the congregation especially when all eyes are on me I started propranolol after speaking with my therapist. Not only did it take the tremors and fear away it gave me confidence and I was able to not only sing but song with power when I needed to. I feel released from the prison of performance anxiety. Released from feeling so down and disappointment in myself from not being able to sing. What a feeling to stand up in front of people and not start sweating and not worrying about what anyone else thinks."

Songbird June 20, 2018

"I have generally had pretty good success presenting in meetings. However, when it comes to presenting in front of a larger crowd, I have always struggled with stage fright - heart beats fast, shaky voice, talk very fast and my brain feels clouded. Recently, I had to present in front of a large crowd and had a bad episode. Since then, I have had a general anxiety whenever I have had to talk even in smaller meetings which never happened before. My doctor prescribed me propranolol, 20 mg 1 hour before the event. I tried it last week when I had to give a speech in front of a large audience. I was nervous throughout the week up until I held the mic and started talking. When I started talking, I did not have any of the symptoms. I was able to deliver my speech well. It worked like magic! For this specific event, I had 20 mg 2 hours prior to the event and another 20 mg 1 hour prior. Since then I have been having only 20 mg 1 hour prior to any stressful meeting and it still works."

dfm June 20, 2018

"For stage fright, this drug works. Like most on here, I've been terrified of public speaking ever since a bad episode in college, panic attacks, sweaty palms, voice disappears. I take 10mg the morning of a presentation to keep my body calm early in the day. Then I take 30mg an hour before, and maybe a final 10mg twenty minutes before. I've gone from struggling through a presentation in front of 5 or 6 people, to presenting in front of 500+ people. You'll still be mentally nervous, maybe even sweat a little, but when the time comes you'll be steady and your voice will be there. Trust me. Just get the dosage right (can't take too much, but you can take too little). Only side effect is drowsiness for me."

GoBucks (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 18, 2018

"OM goodness people. This is a miracle pill. I generally get really nervous when I have to give a speech, I get lost in my own words, I forget what I had to say, my voice breaks, I basically forgot how to talk. But today I took three 10 mg pills 90 minutes before my speech and 1 more 60 minutes before. It initially made me pretty sleepy but that was gone in half an hour. And the speech guys. That was just EASY, smooth, better than rehearsal. I actually enjoyed it. Felt like there was no one in the room and I was talking to myself. So pleased. I have 3 more to go through and now I know what to do. I swear I’m not an ad for propranolol. I took anaprilin which is propranolol in my country. So happy."

Ana (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2018

"After years of preaching every Sunday in a large church of 1000-plus, I suddenly developed extreme anxiety and stage fright. One Sunday I had to stop because my heart was pounding so hard, I couldn't catch my breath, and I broke into a sweat. Talk about flight or fight, I had this unbelievable urge to run away. Tried meditation, deep breathing, taking Benadryl, Ashwagandha and Phinebut. Nothing worked that well until I tried propranolol. It's brought me back to my old self and eliminated the anxiety. I take 40mg about an hour before the first worship service, then another 20mg before the second worship service. Just fantastic. Allows me to continue pursuing my calling and I am very thankful."

Preacher (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2018

"Performance anxiety strikes me and knowing how my hands get shaky when I have to play piano, I had to ask my Doctor to prescribe me something so my heart isn't beating as fast and my hands aren't shaking in front of so many people. Just for this event I got 20mg of propranolol and it worked! All it did is keep my hands steady and without altering my focus I played my piece without having to worry. I guess for once or twice a year it's worth getting propranolol if one gets stage anxiety"

Maria (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2018

"Discovering this drug has been a career saver. Like others, I promised I would contribute a review to help others if the drug worked. I’ve always suffered bad fight or flight symptoms (racing heart, shortness of breath) when public speaking. Unsure when or why this kicked in, but likely due to stress and a higher profile role at work. Been using propranolol situationally (once a month) for a year which was effective for smaller talks. Today used it for a large presentation (audience of 100+) and just as effective. Worked myself up into an anxiety frenzy weeks as wasn’t sure it would work for such a big event, but it came through and did the trick. Get the dosage right. Experiment with dosage that works for you, then relax knowing it’s got you covered. It’s great there’s a way to manage the crippling fear of public speaking and get on with life."

Prop works June 9, 2018

"I'm a 53kg female so quite small. I'm in a leadership role and have struggled with presenting most of my career despite having to do this frequently. I have struggled through major fight and flight symptoms with voice shaking, heart racing so fast its like running a marathon, fast high voice and cognitively clouded not being about to think properly. Propanolol has been a game changer for me. I take 10mg 90 minutes before and it completely removes the fight or flight response. I am yet to try 20mg but plan to try before the next big presentation to see if this makes a difference."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2018

"In my past, there were incredibly embarrassing moments in both my educational experience and professional career where I've stood in front of large groups, trembling, voice shaking, red in the face, just completely out of control in a panic while trying to give a speech or presentation and feeling completely embarrassed and mortified after. I'm writing this today after presenting in front of 100 people successfully today, confidently without issues. I've been taking propranolol for 5 years now and it has never failed me. I typically take 20mg a couple hours before and 10-20mg an hour before. It makes the panic non-existent. No more fight or flight. I just think clearly the entire time in front of the group I'm speaking to and am able to relay my message. Note, the feeling of being afraid can still be there leading up to speaking, but the negative reaction that causes the embarrassing physical effects never manifests."

Working Professional May 25, 2018

"I have dealt with crippling anxiety for about 10 years. I thought it would eventually subside as I gained more experience in public speaking... wrong. My irrational fear of public speaking has held me back both academically and professionally. I tried Klonopin and it helped but it was still very difficult. I found this website and thought with such high ratings propranolol must work. I asked my doctor and he prescribed 10 mg tablets that I take about an hour before my event. I can assure you, it has changed my life. If you suffer from severe performance anxiety ask your doctor about propranolol. I wish I could have found it long ago, sometimes just having it on hand is peace of mind."

waggyP May 18, 2018

"Hi guys, propranolol has quite literally changed my life and I am so happy that I have found it. I felt a need to spread the word to those who could benefit and I urge anyone who feels they might be being held back by their "performance anxiety" to talk to their GP about this drug. It really does work, and its amazing. Good luck guys"

Tim (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2018

"Ive always had social anxiety to the point that it not only effects me in group meeting settings but even talking on a conference call or sometimes one on one at work. Propranolol has save my life and career. My new job requires me to speak to groups of people and without it, I would be a walking panic attack. With a 10mg dose I can go through my day without the panic setting in. If I need to do a presentation I will take 20mg and it has not failed me. I will say initially, it made me super drowsy and gave me headaches and just drained me. Once I started taking it consistently, after about 2-3 weeks, those side effects were gone. So if you are dealing with those effects, try it consistently and see if they dimenish. I’ll always deal with anxiety and panic disorder but this drug keeps the physical symptoms at bay and allows me to proceed with my life. And for that, I am so so grateful."

social anxiety + panic attacks (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2018

"I took this after reading everyone’s reviews and after being terrified about speaking onstage to an audience of about 150 people. I was absolutely dreading the event. My biggest fear was a shaking voice and hands holding a microphone, loss of thoughts. That I would be remembered as the bumbling nervous failure. I found this forum and asked my doctor. I took 10mg 90 minutes before and then the 20mg an hour before. I had no clue it would work but when it was my turn to get on stage to speak it was magical. No heart pounding, no shaking, no loss of words. My thoughts flowed. Now I was totally prepared and practiced and that is the anchor to where I knew what I was saying, but the meds took care of the rest. Brilliant way to finally feel confident in front of a large group and receive so many compliments. Don’t avoid it, don’t let fight or flight take over your life. Get this and face it and your life will change!"

LAfilmnotlive (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2018

"I am really happy to see that this is familiar with many people who are really successful in their life. I used to have nightmares whenever I have a presentation the next day and after I moved to international company one of my main duties is to present to tens and hundreds and at this moment I felt the challenge I was facing. I tried many tactics but all failed and I felt awful until I found inderal 40mg. I used to take 2 pills one in the morning and one before 2 hours my presentation and believe me everything changed dramatically. I was able to present fluently with full confidence. Yes I still face sometimes a dry mouth and it is fine to take sip of water and continue or use biotene to fight dry mouth. But things are better...I still wonder why these symptoms are coming even though I have the confidence and the capabilities. I wonder what others are doing...maybe they are also using this medication?"

Rawad (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2018

"As someone who works in the medical field this stuff is awesome! I have always suffered from terrible stage fright! Nothing worse then the shaky voice, shaky hands and red not face. The worst part is the moments before when your heart feels like it is beating out of your chest! I described my symptoms to my doctor and she prescribed me 10 mg pills. I had a presentation the other day where I had to speak several hours. I took 40 mg a hour and a half before my presentation. I was very anxious the day before and then moments leading up to it but once I got up there my heart was beating at a normal rate and I actually enjoyed it! Would totally recommend this to anyone who suffers from stage fright it really will change your life. Thank you to whoever made this drug! The only thing I have a problem with once in awhile is sleeping but not too bad. Propanolol can lower your levels of melatonin. So if you have a little trouble sleeping just take a little bit of melatonin should do the trick :)"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2018

"If you have any doubts about taking this medicine, DON'T and just try it and see. I don't have anxiety all the time, just when I have a big presentation or interview. Sometimes I get shaky or lose my train of thought and ramble on, but not with propranolol. This stuff is absolutely amazing and I am impressed with the clarity of thought I am able to have in stressful situations. I have experienced no negative side effects and am becoming more confident with each interview or presentation. This drug really helped me take control of my professional life and I'd recommend it to anyone."

Annie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2018

"I am 50 years old and have suffered performance anxiety for all my life. I hate giving presentations and have avoided them for the most part. I turn bright red, shake and my vision becomes blurry. Today was the big Departmental presentation that I have been dreading for 3 months. I asked my Dr. for Propranolol and she gladly prescribed them. This is the first time I have taken them in a stressful situation. I am thrilled!! I had to wait for my turn and I felt really nervous but this small little pill worked. I felt comfortable, no blushing or shaking and my vision was perfect. My only negative and its minor is towards the end of the presentation my mouth was sooo dry. I started to lose my voice a bit but it didn't sound shaky, just a little hoarse. I highly recommend this pill for anyone who struggles with performance anxiety. I wish I knew about it sooner. I found this site a couple of months back and thought I would give it a try. Thank you all for stories."

CatKen May 1, 2018

"I had to share my experience because it has been life-changing. I used this since August of 2017 and since then I have received a promotion and an almost a perfect score on my performance review. Prior to propranolol, I could barely speak on the phone without nearly killing myself with anxiety. I finally decided I had had enough after 15 years in my industry. If you are on the fence, do NOT be. I have no shame in taking this and it has changed my work life."

Kleiner39 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 25, 2018

"Almost considered dropping out of my program so I didn’t have to do a 15 minute speech. My dr prescribed me 10mg propranolol to help my fear and it did just that. I took 20 mg last night to test it out, 10 mg 3 hours before my speech this morning, another 10mg 2 hours before and a half of a tablet 1 hour before. This is way more than I originally planned on taking but it worked perfectly. I was so anxious that I’d go up to present and the medication wouldn’t work up until I started talking today. The results were incredible and I truly felt like I was just talking to a friend casually. I always said I would post my experience on here because this site introduced me to propranolol and definitely changed my life and saved my college career."

Kitty11 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2018

"I worked in senior positions in the finance industry for over 30 years, spending a lot of time avoiding public speaking. I used to freeze panic lose my nerve completely and it has a huge effect on my self esteem and career prospects. Lucky I am very good with people one to one, I just had a complete nightmare and paranoid of public speaking it became a phobia. I spent thousands on public speaking courses but no avail. I came across inderal 3 years ago and it's changed my life I wish I had have discovered it sooner! It really calms me and I can speak in front of 100 people formal presentations! Never thought possible and no side effects. I wish I knew exactly the dosage and the time effects as I just normally take 20 mg 90 mins before presentation but that's only guessing as I am not sure how much I need for optimum performance and how long it lasts It's brilliant discovery thanks so much!!"

Brenno (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2018

"This drug just works. Looks like real life saver like everyone said on here. I used it for presenting in front of 1000 people. I have always experiencing performance anxiety but I was handling it after few minutes of shaky voice, dry mouth and high heart rate. This time it was a big event and I was in very bad mood for even 1 week before the performance due to large audience. I took 40mg 1 hour before performance and it was amazing. I tried 20mg 1 day before the event to observe the effects to my body. I need to make sure that it's not causing and unmanageable side effects. There was none. (This is only for me don't jump any conclusion here. Ask your doctor and try it by yourself) Like everyone says this doesn't have any effect on nerves but your body won't let you down. Make no mistake; you still need to work really hard in your performance. I did at least 5 practices before the presentation. I was full prepared and ready!"

Cerebro (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2018

"I have had debilitating speech anxiety and social phobia since I was about 10 (now 46). Have been to numerous Dr’s over the years and tried everything - many antidepressants, Xanax, even MAOI’s. Nothing helped. In college I avoided classes and skipped presentations by making excuses. The new company I work for has an annual meeting and I have to stand in front of 170 people and introduce myself. After fretting over this for months (contemplating resigning), I knew I had to find something to help. I finally found this board for Propranolol. I went to my PCP and he prescribed 20 mg one hour prior to the meeting. What a blessing! I was able to stand up there without blushing uncontrollably, no elevated heart rate and no adrenaline rush. I think 30mg might have even been better if I had to talk more. I am so happy to have found this! Thank to all who left your stories on this board!"

Nrrvous (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2018

"I developed severe performance anxiety that would leave me vomiting before, during and after a stage show. Decided to give up acting as I couldn't cope with the extreme anxiety. I auditioned for and landed an amazing lead role but was immediately panicked by the thought of not being able to do it due to anxiety. The Dr prescribed me propranolol and oh my gosh does it work! I did three performances and took 20mg 90 mins before, 20mg 30 minutes before and 20mg in the interval and I loved every second of it. For the first time in years I actually enjoyed a performance. I had normal nerves (jitters, butterflies and dry mouth) but nothing unmanageable and they disappeared when I got into the swing of things. It felt like a miracle. If you are struggling with performance anxiety absolutely try this, if it works for someone with as extreme anxiety issues as me then it's definitely worth a try!"

MissOz (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2018

"I am at loss for words. I freeze up, my heart beats so hard and fast I can feel it in my cheeks. My face turns so red and I can barely speak. My freshmen year I had a horrific incident with public speaking and ever since then I haven’t been able to do it. I had finally had enough. I was so depressed and didn’t want to live my life because I was so convinced I was going no where in life because mentally I just couldn’t overcome this. I FINALLY got a prescription and oh my word. You guys. A LIFE CHANGER. I was extremely skeptical that all these reviews were just ads so I was so scared to put myself in the line of fire and it not work. I got up there to present... my anxiety THROUGH THE ROOF. My voice came out shaky the first word, and then boom. I felt so calm... my heart wasn’t beating fast at all....I was laughing having a good time. Felt like I was having a conversation with my mom. I literally excused myself to the bathroom after so I could go cry happily."

Anonymous April 4, 2018

"I have struggled speaking in front of large crowds over my career in leadership. Specifically with the first couple minutes from adrenaline which would noticeably make me talk fast, be short of breath, cracky voice, etc. it hasn’t been horrifying over time. Recently I had to speak for 30 min In front of every leader in my region which wasn’t over 100 people. I came across THIS site and figured I would try this pill based off the high reviews. This pill is a miracle!!! I killed the presentation and never suffered from the affect of high adrenaline when I was speaking. Now this will not fix the anxiety leading the presentation, however once you build confidence that you are able to communicate effectively when in front of everyone, the anxiety will become less and less. I experimented with different dosage before the presentation and decided to go 20mg two hours before and 10 mg and hour before. I am 180 pounds so this might differ based on your tolerance."

Mac March 24, 2018