User Reviews for Propranolol to treat Performance Anxiety

Also known as: Inderal, Inderal LA, Hemangeol, InnoPran XL, Inderal XL

Propranolol Rating Summary

9.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Performance Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol

"propranolol is incredible for stage fright or performance anxiety or public speaking. I'm an actor and I went through some trauma that left me with crippling anxiety which targeted me especially whilst performing. It took my livelihood away and stripped me from the thing I love to do most. Read about this drug, got a prescription and took 20 mg 2 hours before a big performance, then 40 mg an hour before. I lost all my performance anxiety and delivered an incredible performance that everyone was raving about! I felt amazing! Really recommend this drug for anyone struggling with performance anxiety, it can really be a lifesaver."

Anonymous May 15, 2019

"Saved my career. I’m in my early forties and have had a crippling fear of public speaking since college. I recently had a presentation in front of 50 people. I took Propranolol 10mg 2 hrs before and an additional 5 mg an hour before my public speaking role / speech (Just for the record I’m 5ft 2 / 110 lbs and my blood pressure is in the low/normal range for reference). I felt completely calm and actually enjoyed doing the presentation. It’s given me such a boost in confidence that I actually welcome the next opportunity to speak. However, It’s important to note, I was very well prepared and confident in my knowledge on the topic."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2019

"I don't know the legitimacy of reviews on this site, but these are all in line with what I have experienced. Stage anxiety can really hold people back in life, and it has for me for a long time. Lying awake thinking about this sort of stuff, and it used to absolutely terrify me. Propranolol has changed my life, I take one before a presentation or speech for work and I have 0 physical symptoms. I can present in front of an audience. You still need to learn how to be a good public speaker and gradually improve but it really is a miracle pill and I can't recommend it enough. Go get some if you are reading this and have a big speech you are worried about, you will absolutely smash it :)"

Jim (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2019

"Was nervous to make a toast at a wedding - lost so much sleep over it ! Took 50 mg over the course of 3 hours before the event and worked like a charm! I had a speech written and started adding in more because I was so confident up there. Afterwards someone told me I’m such a good public speaker. Don’t give it a second thought - I wish I knew about this my whole life!"

Sarah April 23, 2019

"I have the most terrible phobia of public speaking. I have always dreaded giving a presentation and have suffered with panic attacks due to this frustrating fear! So many people would say aww everyone gets nervous! But anyone with this phobia knows it’s so much more than just nerves! I went to the doctor and was prescribed these and wow! I cannot praise these enough! Please please please consider taking these - for me they are a game changer and I can now speak in public without shaking, going red or loosing my voice. The mental nerves are still there but no physical symptoms!"

Emilym (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 21, 2019

"I am a musician who has spent the majority of my life with stage fright. It was so bad sometimes that I would fake a hand injury to get out of being onstage. If you are wondering why I would go onstage at all if this is how I felt the simple reason is I love making music and I am good at it. Last weekend I did a solo performance which in the past would have had me wound up into a tight knot. I took my usual dose of 20 mg an hour before and, voila, not a single sign of the usual terror. I remember thinking to myself midway through a song, "Damn, this stuff really works!" I only wish I was aware of it decades ago. It would have spared me from a lot of stress and what's more, is when you are not crippled with fear you play so much better. Just looser and much more fluid. It actually feels nice to stand up under a spotlight now."

Nicochise April 11, 2019

"I’ve had crippling anxiety over public speaking my whole professional career. I worry for months and when I actually speak it’s an embarrassment. Outside of work I’m very confident. I struggle with all types of formal public speaking at work including introductions and accepting a card/gift at special occasions - everyone else always seems so cool, calm and able to articulate in situations where I feel like a bomb about to explode. I once got a promotion to a role that required regular speaking in front of groups. For this reason, I demoted myself. I thought I was alone in this struggle. I’ve just been prescribed propranolol and I return to work tomorrow after two weeks off. I wanted to write a comment prior to knowing if this drug works for me because I’ve read all the other comments and I’ve literally been in tears when realising there are many more out there like me. I’m so glad this has worked for most and if it works for me it’ll be a life saver."

Anna X Iety April 7, 2019

"So yea...pretty much what everyone else on here is saying in their reviews. I had my doctor prescribe propranolol since I get a lot of performance anxiety at work when I have to present or speak in front of even a few people, or if I'm called on and it worked PERFECTLY! I took some in the morning after waking up, 40mg 3 hours later, and 40mg 3 hours after that which was 1 hour prior to a job interview in front of a panel of 6 people. I normally would've frozen up, got bad anxiety, and found a way to get out of there. But happy to say, not only did I stay, I think I did very well the whole interview! Didn't have to worry about anxiety at all! Yes, I did have normal nervousness leading up to the interview, but as soon as it began I felt more and more comfortable as it progressed and had no problem answering the questions."

Gabe (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2019

"Stage fright since I was around 9-10 years old. Throughout high school I then avoided every presentation scenario possible by pretending to be sick etc. These few times that I had to do it were horrific, sweating hands, shaking voice etc. Starting a new job, I get given the dreaded task of having to prepare a 45 minute presentation for what was supposed to be 2 clients, but I arrive and they call in another 6 members of their team, 8 people in the room now. Took the same dose as before, 40mg 2 hours before and 40mg 1 hour before. Lets just say miracles do happen... I owned the room. Still had the nerves inside my head, but all physical symptoms gone. I would say this - it is crucial you are confident about the information you are presenting/talking about, but as long as you have prepared that, this drug takes away all physical symptoms. I walked out of that building with one of the best feelings i've ever had, it was like i'd finally overcome my fear. Propranolol has changed my life."

realreview March 17, 2019

"Propranolol is a miracle . I suffered from performance anxiety so much . I just run away from any presentations , debates , ielts speaking test and others . I get terrified since every time I stand and talk . I got those shakes especially my voice was trembling and disappearing and I got sweating so much . Last week my college adviser chose me to present in front of people and I just get terrified as always . So I searched up on net and from this (life saver) . I though to my self lets give it a try . I took 40mg before 45 min of the presentation. So once my presentation starts I feel the anxiety but when I just said the first word ..... my voice was steady and loud and could think well . I feel huge confident and started to speak more and more without stop . And I got people clapping after I had done my presentation and yeah this medicine is my new friend <3"

Unk833 (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2019

"I am so grateful to have found propranolol. While in school studying court reporting, the most difficult part of my college career were tests. I could type well over 200 wpm in my sleep, but every time it came to take a test, my nerves would completely take over and I would freeze. My hands would shake uncontrollably and suddenly I couldn’t type. After 6 months of failing the same test over and over, I got this prescription & finally passed that one test the 1st time w/this med. for the 1st time ever my hands didn’t shake one bit. I remember feeling calm and was able to focus on the test rather that fighting my nerves. I don’t think I would have graduated college w/o it. I am now a court reporter which it my biggest accomplishment. Now I work as a court reporter and have the skill for this profession and thanks to this medication I was able to get to where I am at now because I was able to pass w/confidence in my skill that I worked so hard to achieve."

MelisaaT March 12, 2019

"This medication does not solve my underlying social and performance anxiety, but it basically makes my professional life manageable. Without it, I can get fight/flight responses which completely destroys my confidence and ability to even present myself in front of a group of people without having what feels like a panic attack. Heart racing to the point that it feels like I can't get a word out. In some sense I'm disappointed that I need this to feel okay about my life, but mostly I'm just very grateful that it's there . I would recommend this to anyone who suffers with these issues. Enables you to focus on your job without having to battle your own body."

Kynes_m35 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 4, 2019

"A few months ago I had to make a best mans speech at my brothers wedding. Public speaking gives me the worse anxiety, hands shake, voice starts to tremble, and the sweat starts to pour. When I woke up in the morning I took 40mg, about 2-3 hours later I took another 40mg, and then another 40mg 2 hours later which was 30 minutes before my speech. Once my first words came out standing in front of 200 people, I realized my anxiety suddenly disappeared almost to the point where I was excited to be up in front of everyone. After my speech was done, multiple people have told me that it was the best best man speech that they have ever witnessed. This came to a total surprise because I'm normally so nervous that I forget everything I am supposed to say. For the people that really want to know how this works its simple. It also gives you the ability to think about what your saying before you say it rather then just rambling on. This drug took out my "Ughhhhs" and replaced it with short pauses."

Andrew February 28, 2019

"Had to present to a few hundred people which would normally have me crippled with anxiety. Took 10mg when I woke up, another 10mg two hours later and 10mg half hour before talk. Standing on the stage I was a bit anxious but had zero physical symptoms. Fight or flight was fast asleep!!! I was shocked because I was able to look out at the audience without worrying what they thought and I almost enjoyed being up there. Really wish I’d known about this years ago and can’t recommend enough."

It’s-magic (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2019

"This drug certainly does work for those who suffer performance anxiety. The dread before hand, during a presentation, standing in front of a group of people, shaky hands, dry mouth, stuttered voice, racing words. But it is not the be all and end all. It reduces the physical symptoms of anxiety. It will stop you shaking somewhat. It will stop you sweating somewhat, and help you get "the edge" to make that presentation or performance. Your voice will not be as shakey. You must also try to improve you performance techniques. This drug will help calm to a little extent some of the things that unsettle you during a presentation. If you do not know presentation skills, if you do not know your subject you are presenting, then this drug will do little to aid it. A pharmaceutical fix to you being unprepared will NOT WORK. For me, someone who takes this drug to help me through presentations - the type where I am on a podium in front of an audience of hundreds - it works to steady the nerves."

SJ73R (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 20, 2019

"I’m loud by nature and have a history of asthma — and nerves. But I‘ve poured the things I’m passionate about in my career. That once resulted in a dreadful, “My Cousin Vinnie” scene. More sedatives, more meditation, more preparation for public speaking were doing it, but left me feeling like I was gambling every time I got on my feet (my writing is top notch, so I wasn’t about to lose my license, but) I just wanted more control so I felt as confident on my feet as I did in my writing. I don’t believe in “magic pills” but this comes as close to one as there is. It feels like an introvert’s cushion in the professional world. I have a strong constitution, so no side effects. I’ve been with my doctor for over a decade and he’s said the pill either works wonderfully, or not at all. Get a good doctor and see if it works for you .... I’ve never been so pleasantly surprised by myself."

Happy it worked (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2019

"For years my anxiety and public speaking fears have hindered my ability to perform at work and school. My face would get sweaty and red, my heart would beat out of my chest, my voice was shaky, and I couldn't stand still. Not to mention the awkwardness I felt because I felt like everyone around me knew I was a wreck. I can function perfectly at home and with friends, and then I'm a completely different person when I'm nervous. I also had this demoralizing feeling that I failed at work and there was nothing I could do. So I went to my doctor a few weeks ago and he recommended propranolol and it changed my life in the best possible way. I tried it and let me tell you it worked! It didn't take away all of the mental anxiety, but for the first time in my career I feel like it wasn't weighted down by my anxiety. My mental clarity improved, and the physical symptoms completely went away, and for the first time I feel like I am confident at work which is incredibly liberating. Boom!"

G-Man February 6, 2019

"I have promised myself to share my experience when I survive my presentation in front of 10 people. So here I am - male, 40y, 165 lbs Had stage fright with the usual symptoms (red face, pounding heart, loss of mother tongue,..) all my life, was extremely scared and avoided such occasions after high school until my boss asked me in my forties and I couldn’t say no. Read reviews here about this drug and got a prescription for it. The knowledge alone to have it calmed me down until 2 days prior where I couldn’t get any night sleep. Took 40 mg 3h and 40mg 1h before. Went through it and I have to say it actually 100% works! No physical symptoms, the nervousness remained however and I think everyone in the room noticed that presentations are not my daily business. Verdict: it won’t make you to the next Obama and you will still be nervous. But you can be absolutely sure that you have no physical symptoms and with practice I truly believe anyone can be a good public speaker."

Lucky Man January 23, 2019

"This is the most amazing drug ever. I had severe stage fright my whole life and went through heaps of drama having to present. I went through so much skipping presentations and stressing so much over having to public speak. If you take enough of this drug and at least 1.5 hrs prior to the event then you will feel almost no physical symptoms. I still feel a little symptoms but it’s it’s definitely easily manageable. The mental anxiety will still be there."

Luke56 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2019

"This medication makes you feel so confident, that you may feel you don't need it. Don't be fooled and know your body. I started taking this after starting a new job and suddenly began to tremble, had dry mouth, etc during basic presentations. I've noticed this in the past but was always able to manage it. I'm so glad I saw a psychiatrist and nothing was actually wrong with me. I thought so because I'm actually an extravert and enjoy talking a lot but the nervousness that would come over me made me feel as though my body was not being true to who I know myself as. Anyway, with this medication....WE HAVE OVERCOME...."

Anonymous January 15, 2019

"Love it. Truly a life saver.. makes life much easier as far as pubilc speaking goes."

Inderaltryer January 13, 2019

"I talked to my doctor about my stage fright and she prescribed me 20 mg of propranolol. I've used it one night last week at a performance and I did not experience any of the physical symptoms of stage fright that I usually have. I usually get dry mouth , sweating , a throat tightening sensation , racing heart and shakiness. I was nervous , but it was literally only in my mind. My body was able to function normally and I was able to sing freely ,confidently and I felt AMAZING. I took 60 mg that day , one at around 2/3 pm and 2 more at 8/9 pm 30 mins before my performance . I won't be using propranolol for every performance because my goal is to naturally be able to control my stage fright symptoms. If you're suffering from performance anxiety , definitely give propranolol a try to help manage your nerves!!"

anonartist January 10, 2019

"Amazing. 1st experience: 20mg 3 hours before, 20mg 1 hour before, 10mg half hour before. Presented and absolutely no physical symptoms, I was amazed. At no point did I feel shakey. The presentation itself went bad, this drug does not excuse poor preparation however I was confident this would help me In my coming projects. 2nd experience (big presentation in front of class and head of schools, very high pressure): 40mg at 7:00am, 40mg at 8am and 40mg at 9:30am with my presentation at 10:30. I had prepared for weeks and was confident. I said my first line and oh my god, I just couldn't stop talking! It was amazing! I spoke loud, clear and confidently. There was no adrenaline rush and no shaking and my voice was perfect. What I was trying to share from these two experiences was that Propranolol works amazingly. However if you are unprepared, it is no miracle but if you prepare and know your work then trust me, you will be able to speak clearly without any physical symptoms."

Anon January 8, 2019

"I've always suffered from severe anxiety and a triggered "fight or flight" response during most stressful situations, for the vast majority of my life. Needless to say, often times it has made life an overbearing and unmanageable life for me. Stressful situations generally bring about severe shaking, very rapid heartbeat, flushed red face, shaky voice, "cottonmouth", and feeling like I'm going to jump out of my skin. Propranolol completely, unequivocally, and 100% prevents that for me!!!! It totally shuts down my response to stress stimulus. I take it anywhere from 30 - 45 minutes before nerve-wracking situations and it feels like I'm made of steel! All of the above symptoms are completely eliminated. It allows me to get through otherwise unbearably high pressure and even confrontational situations for me. All physical symptoms of anxiety are simply not there when I take it. If I could rate it higher than a 10 I would!"

Chrispin (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 22, 2018

"Great medication!! I've used several times for important meeting and presentations. Previously my voice always started to tremble during presentations which then made me panic and short of breath. I was constantly gasping for air and couldn't stay focused on the content. This med helps keep you relaxed so you can focus on the content and deliver with confidence. It doesn't make the anxiety go away leading up to the event, but I feel with enough positive experiences that will eventually diminish too."

DG (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 17, 2018