User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Propranolol Rating Summary

9.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Performance Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat Performance Anxiety

"I am a 44 year old female that as dealt with fear of public speaking all my life. I've recently joined an organization where the ability to public speak is a career necessity. I've tried taking Xanax during public speaking engagements. While it would calm me down slightly, it wasn't able to control the adrenaline-induced autonomic responses such as shaky voice. Today I took 80mg of propranolol spaced between 90 minutes to 30 minutes before my presentation and 2 0.5 mg doses of Alprazolam in that 90 minute to 30 minute window before my presentation. I was nervous entering the presentation. As soon as I spoke, no sign of anxiety or shaky voice evident. I was joking and very natural on stage. I am so grateful for these drugs."

genmod (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This medicine really works. As I commented below, I have struggled with panic attacks/anxiety, that sometimes sets in when I am about to start presenting/speak in front of many people, for 25 years (I am now 43). The strange thing is that sometimes it does not happen. I can't control under which presentation the body launches the full attack. Today I had another presentation for 35 people. I prepared very well. Took 60 mg propranolol 1 hour before. I had no heart racing, none of my usual shaky voice, no choking, etc. The med blocks it actually. It WORKS. I can present calm as a normal person. I also noticed that I have almost no anxiety in the days before presentations compared to before when I didn't used propranolol as I know I'm going to be fine I'm now not anxious"

Gabriel12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have always been anxious at public speaking, I was recently asked by a close friend to speak at his mothers funeral, I couldn't refuse but as the time came closer the anxiety was unbearable and I knew I couldn't go through with it without major panic and possible failure. I read public speaking tips and stumbled across reviews of medication. I went to see the doctor and asked about propranolol. He said I could try it and prescribed 10mg and advised me to try it to get the feeling and take up to a max of 40mg 2hrs before the funeral. I am so glad I did, this stuff is amazing, I only needed 20mg and it made me so calm, I was still nervous but only perhaps 4/10 instead of 10/10. I got through the speech without a problem and am so pleased."

J Ox February 8, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Propranolol has been a life saver for me since I started taking it in grad school for performance anxiety. For years I had avoided public speaking and any situation where I was the focus of attention. It really works...and I don't think much of it is placebo at all. I still get nervous before a large presentation (my job now requires frequent presentations), but my body stays calm. My face doesn't get as red as a tomato. I feel I can think clearly. It's truly wonderful. Does anyone have any knowledge or evidence of propranolol having adverse effects on triglycerides/cholesterol? My triglycerides have been so high but I have also had thyroid issues too. I would love to be able to continue using this drug forever and ever, when I need it."

takkvida (taken for 10 years or more) January 26, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Hello. I have since high scool had big trouble with presentations and public speaking in front of group of people. Some times I managed to handle this ok, but some times my body launched full blown panic attack where my heart raced and my body and voice froze so hard that I hardly managed to get through. For two weeks ago I went to my doctor and told him about this. I asked if he could prescribe me Propranolol. He understood me well and gave me prescription for 100 tablets of 20 mg propranolol. Today I had a presentation in front of around 60 people in our office. I took two 20-mg tablets/pills of propranolol 70 minutes before I should start the presentation. I held the presentation without problems at all. :-))))))))))))))"

Gabriel12 January 25, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"What a terrible feeling it is not to be able to speak in front of public. I had to deal with this since I was in the fifth grade. How embarrassing to avoid public speaking but when I had to I did and it was so embarrassing to me I never wanted to do it again, but you I had to face the music. I found that propranolol taken it 45 minutes 20 milligrams help tremendously. I wasn't nervous and I felt at ease. Although I would like to find alternatives which I've been trying to find and have been unable to have something that will works. I would like to find a natural remedy that will help keep me calm throughout the day when I'm not public speaking in case something comes up unexpectedly I won't be looking like a fool."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) January 22, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"About a year ago I read the reviews for this drug and literally jumped for joy I was so excited to hear others experiences. Since an embarrassing speech in High School I have had a horrible fear of public speaking effecting my college and work life. I told my doctor I wanted to try this and she prescribed my 15 mg. For the first time in my college career I could make it through a speech without panicking. ANY type of public speaking, including introducing myself, used to freak me out so bad. Propranolol has saved my life!!"

shy_student (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 4, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I had massive anxiety about public speaking for a long time, I was worried about the fact that I would come across nervous as I usually experienced the usual symptoms from the adrenaline like my heart beating fast and my voice sounding shaky. I found in the recent presentations I have done that by taking propranolol (40mg) an hour or so before the presentation I had absolutely no symptoms of anxiety and so could perform well. I would highly recommend this to anyone who gets nervous about public speaking."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Propranolol is literally a miracle drug. Took it before a presentation today and I literally felt no nerves at all. I felt as if I was talking to friends and it helped me connect with the audience so well as I was so much more laid back. I do not think I will ever have a problem with presentations or interviews again after using this drug. Highly recxommend. I took 10mg"

Jess111 December 12, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Ever since I was in middle school, I completely dreaded public speaking. Now that I am in college, I decided to do something about it, I went to my doctor told him about my experiences with public speaking and perscribed propranolol. I started taking them but realized nothing really changed and assumed they were not working because I still had mental anxiety, finally the day of my presentation comes (I took 80mg- maybe a little too much but better to be safe than sorry!) and as I walked to the front of the class I still had anxiety but two slides in - everything changed. I did not care about that fact that I was presenting, it's almost like I became a different person!! Public speaking was the activity I dreaded the most!!! 100% RECOMMEND"

Propranololisamiracle December 5, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"GAME CHANGER if you fear public speaking. it solves the problem. 20mg - 1h before the speech and you will be calm and relaxed like if you are in a bar with friend speaking about football. I just mind why i did not start before... I have lost so many years"

bing999 December 1, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Like many others on this site I have a terrible fear of public presentations that was only getting worse with time and it was starting to severely hurt my job path. The fight or flight adrenaline rush at the beginning of a presentation was crippling. Got prescribed propranolol and it saved my career. I'm still extremely nervous before public speaking with clammy hands and a rolling stomach but it absolutely stops that adrenaline blast and I can speak normally. Keys for it to work for me are taking enough of it long enough before speaking. Caffeine appears to limit its effectiveness in my experience. I'm a 34 year old male and take 60 mg total - 20 mg 90 minutes before speaking and 40 mg an hour before. Been on it 3 years, love it!"

Afhevh (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 29, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I am a corporate Recruiter for a large company and have over 10 years experience. Somehow I was able to fly under the radar in my early career and avoid presentations as much as possible. Now that my salary has increased with experience, my employer obvious wants to see where I can add value to the team. He has asked me to present on some topics, as well as lead our team meetings. People think that I am this confident outgoing funny individual. But deep down I have a paralyzing fear of being put into the spotlight or speaking in public I experience the typical, stuttering, shaky voice, increased heartbeat, sweaty palms, I obviously need my job, so my doctor prescribed me 10mg. I will come back later to tell you how it worked out"

meme45 November 26, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have always suffered with performance anxiety and as a student, I cannot escape the daunting thought of having to present and speak publically, I always tried implementing breathing techniques and distraction methods to no avail and would often end up in a crippling panic attack. As I'm sure many readers can understand, the physical symptoms of such an attack are overwhelmingly horrible and disabling. I have been on propranolol for a day, and for the first time in my life, I was able to coherently present to my class. This medication truly has changed a lot for me and I'm so thankful"

Hce November 25, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've had multiple bad experiences with public speaking. Sometimes I would make it through the entire presentation, depending on how long it is, but I would always get so nervous that it would cause me to have dry mouth, and it would feel like my throat is starting to swell from my heart beating so fast that I would not be able to finish my speech. My doctor prescribed me propranolol, and after taking about 40mg 1 hour prior to my presentation, it was like magic! I went in front of the class and spoke without hesitation or any signs of nervousness. I felt like I could've talked to the class during the rest of the time there if I wanted to. I only take my prescription for presentations so I won't become immune to them."

Troop1 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"For as long as I can remember, I have been afflicted with that awful "fight or flight" feeling before having to speak or even stand in front of a crowd. My heart would beat SO hard & fast that you could actually see it beating through my shirt! A few months before my wedding, I was getting increasingly nervous about standing in front of everyone and saying my vows. I decided to ask my doctor about a solution and he wrote me a Rx for Propanolol. I took 20mg about an hour before the ceremony, and I have never been so calm in my life. I wasn't even thinking about the crowd, and when I walked down the aisle I was cool, calm, and collected. That drug truly saved me on the most important day of my life. Simply amazing."

Happily_Ever_After November 18, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've tried many thing but Propranolol really helped. I've done hypnosis, tried becoming a Toastmaster but today I used 60mg. 20 three hours before and 40 1.5 hrs before. I still had all the obvious signs of nerves like wet hands, feeling anxious but as soon as I was on stage I was fine. This was the best presentation I've ever done. Really happy to have found my secret weapon. I even cracked a few off the cuff jokes and got a few laughs. Funnily enough, I felt like I was actually connecting with the audience and because I seemed more relaxed, they were too. Fab stuff!!!"

Sandy7654 (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Propranolol truly has changed my professional life. For the last few years during presentations my heart would beat so fast I felt as if I was going to have a heart attack, during the presentation my voice would shake so bad it would sound like I was about to cry, and I would not even be able to focus on what I was talking about. I take 40 mg of Propranolol about 1 hr before presenting. So far I have used it for two major presentations and one interview and it was worked wonderfully. You definitely still feel the nerves the day leading up to the presentation, all those physical symptoms are gone and I feel so comfortable I can even improvise and think on the spot, something i could never dream of doing before."

jax1668 November 16, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This drug is a miracle. I presented a presentation today for 30 minutes, and I didn't shake or turn red....as I normally flight or fight myself off the stage. But today, flawless. I felt so confident afterwards. I know this drug only masks the physical symptoms and not the underlying issue but for now, it'll do."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Isopropranolol is magic. Im a senior biochemistry student (straight As). One problem: during presentations,I shake I blush i have this huge blank in my head and don't even remember what i'm talking about. On the day of the presentation I was nervous all throughout the day heart was pumping loud and fast. I took one pill around an hour before the presentation. I did feel light headed the first 30 mins but it was a nice feeling. My heart kept pumping loudly, but at a very slow rate, which i guess is what this pill does. My presentation went so smoothly and i was calm and able to offer a solid explanation for 25 minutes. Everybody loved it and i was so calm and confident! The pill is magic.."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"i have always been scared of public speaking. I usually experience sweaty hands, flushed face, and worst of all a shaky voice. I'm in my first year of college and had a presentation assigned. I was nervous for months before the day I had to present. a week before the presentation, I talked to my doctor and was prescribed 20mg. I took one an hour before my presentation. I still felt nervous leading up to the presentation and even when I was up front. but once I started speaking, I realized my voice wasn't shaking despite how nervous i felt! I couldn't believe it, I could speak normally through the whole thing. I still experienced sweaty hands, but that doesn't really bother me anyway."

relieved student November 8, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"OMG I've always had bad luck with speaking in in front of groups.... i always stutter and have trouble getting my words out. I tried this medication for my university presentation, and omg i walked up to the stage AND I WASNT FEELING LIKE MY HEART WAS GONNA BOUNCE OUT OF MY CHEST. My heart was at its normal paste paced (slowest) and i was as cool as a cucumber! I talked fluently! and professionally. I didn't talk too fast due nervousness nor did i stutter. I didn't have high hopes for this medication but i was so wrong! THIS DRUG IS A LIFE SAVER. I took 40 mg 40 mins before my presentation. IF you stutter due to nervousness, PLS TRY THIS."

LifeHasChanged November 5, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Like everyone else I found this an absolute life saver as really struggled with presentations and just day to day work meetings. However I've been taking this for 2 years and recently my symptoms have started to return, even with extremely strong dosages. Has anyone else had the issue where your body becomes immune to this drug? Many thanks in advance"

Donnie b November 4, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My review is much like everyone else's. In 7th grade, I had my first bad experience speaking in front of the class and my heart started pounding and I couldn't breathe and someone else had to finish what I was reading. I struggled with this all throughout high school and in college I actually dropped a class, then eventually transferred colleges to avoid taking a public speaking course. Sadly, I did not know about this medication. Now, I am A graduate student. I have done 4 speeches since June, all with Propanolol varied from 55-60mg staggered 3 hours until 20-30 mins before my speech. It's a miracle guys. For real. I feel like I can live again. I still worry maybe it won't work and when the time comes it works amazingly. No symptoms!!!"

Wanttosucceed (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I'm a c-level exec for a mid-sized health system. Got to this position in life because I work hard and am smart. What I'm not good at, is public speaking. I would get so nervous before public speaking situations that I would want to run. I faced them all head-on but certainly experienced some humiliation and embarrassment. Been taking 30-40 mg of Propranolol for about a year as needed...probably 6-7 times in the past year. The med truly has given me the relief needed and made these presentations and even certain social situations almost enjoyable. I'm not sure why this medicine isn't recommended more other than it works so well that that psychotropic meds may not be needed."

'Bouttime (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 1, 2016