User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Learn more about Propranolol.

Propranolol Rating Summary

9.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Performance Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat Performance Anxiety

"About a year ago I read the reviews for this drug and literally jumped for joy I was so excited to hear others experiences. Since an embarrassing speech in High School I have had a horrible fear of public speaking effecting my college and work life. I told my doctor I wanted to try this and she prescribed my 15 mg. For the first time in my college career I could make it through a speech without panicking. ANY type of public speaking, including introducing myself, used to freak me out so bad. Propranolol has saved my life!!"

shy_student (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 4, 2017

"I had massive anxiety about public speaking for a long time, I was worried about the fact that I would come across nervous as I usually experienced the usual symptoms from the adrenaline like my heart beating fast and my voice sounding shaky. I found in the recent presentations I have done that by taking propranolol (40mg) an hour or so before the presentation I had absolutely no symptoms of anxiety and so could perform well. I would highly recommend this to anyone who gets nervous about public speaking."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2016

"Propranolol is literally a miracle drug. Took it before a presentation today and I literally felt no nerves at all. I felt as if I was talking to friends and it helped me connect with the audience so well as I was so much more laid back. I do not think I will ever have a problem with presentations or interviews again after using this drug. Highly recxommend. I took 10mg"

Jess111 December 12, 2016

"Ever since I was in middle school, I completely dreaded public speaking. Now that I am in college, I decided to do something about it, I went to my doctor told him about my experiences with public speaking and perscribed propranolol. I started taking them but realized nothing really changed and assumed they were not working because I still had mental anxiety, finally the day of my presentation comes (I took 80mg- maybe a little too much but better to be safe than sorry!) and as I walked to the front of the class I still had anxiety but two slides in - everything changed. I did not care about that fact that I was presenting, it's almost like I became a different person!! Public speaking was the activity I dreaded the most!!! 100% RECOMMEND"

Propranololisamiracle December 5, 2016

"GAME CHANGER if you fear public speaking. it solves the problem. 20mg - 1h before the speech and you will be calm and relaxed like if you are in a bar with friend speaking about football. I just mind why i did not start before... I have lost so many years"

bing999 December 1, 2016

"Like many others on this site I have a terrible fear of public presentations that was only getting worse with time and it was starting to severely hurt my job path. The fight or flight adrenaline rush at the beginning of a presentation was crippling. Got prescribed propranolol and it saved my career. I'm still extremely nervous before public speaking with clammy hands and a rolling stomach but it absolutely stops that adrenaline blast and I can speak normally. Keys for it to work for me are taking enough of it long enough before speaking. Caffeine appears to limit its effectiveness in my experience. I'm a 34 year old male and take 60 mg total - 20 mg 90 minutes before speaking and 40 mg an hour before. Been on it 3 years, love it!"

Afhevh (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 29, 2016

"I am a corporate Recruiter for a large company and have over 10 years experience. Somehow I was able to fly under the radar in my early career and avoid presentations as much as possible. Now that my salary has increased with experience, my employer obvious wants to see where I can add value to the team. He has asked me to present on some topics, as well as lead our team meetings. People think that I am this confident outgoing funny individual. But deep down I have a paralyzing fear of being put into the spotlight or speaking in public I experience the typical, stuttering, shaky voice, increased heartbeat, sweaty palms, I obviously need my job, so my doctor prescribed me 10mg. I will come back later to tell you how it worked out"

meme45 November 26, 2016

"I have always suffered with performance anxiety and as a student, I cannot escape the daunting thought of having to present and speak publically, I always tried implementing breathing techniques and distraction methods to no avail and would often end up in a crippling panic attack. As I'm sure many readers can understand, the physical symptoms of such an attack are overwhelmingly horrible and disabling. I have been on propranolol for a day, and for the first time in my life, I was able to coherently present to my class. This medication truly has changed a lot for me and I'm so thankful"

Hce November 25, 2016

"I've had multiple bad experiences with public speaking. Sometimes I would make it through the entire presentation, depending on how long it is, but I would always get so nervous that it would cause me to have dry mouth, and it would feel like my throat is starting to swell from my heart beating so fast that I would not be able to finish my speech. My doctor prescribed me propranolol, and after taking about 40mg 1 hour prior to my presentation, it was like magic! I went in front of the class and spoke without hesitation or any signs of nervousness. I felt like I could've talked to the class during the rest of the time there if I wanted to. I only take my prescription for presentations so I won't become immune to them."

Troop1 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2016

"For as long as I can remember, I have been afflicted with that awful "fight or flight" feeling before having to speak or even stand in front of a crowd. My heart would beat SO hard & fast that you could actually see it beating through my shirt! A few months before my wedding, I was getting increasingly nervous about standing in front of everyone and saying my vows. I decided to ask my doctor about a solution and he wrote me a Rx for Propanolol. I took 20mg about an hour before the ceremony, and I have never been so calm in my life. I wasn't even thinking about the crowd, and when I walked down the aisle I was cool, calm, and collected. That drug truly saved me on the most important day of my life. Simply amazing."

Happily_Ever_After November 18, 2016

"I've tried many thing but Propranolol really helped. I've done hypnosis, tried becoming a Toastmaster but today I used 60mg. 20 three hours before and 40 1.5 hrs before. I still had all the obvious signs of nerves like wet hands, feeling anxious but as soon as I was on stage I was fine. This was the best presentation I've ever done. Really happy to have found my secret weapon. I even cracked a few off the cuff jokes and got a few laughs. Funnily enough, I felt like I was actually connecting with the audience and because I seemed more relaxed, they were too. Fab stuff!!!"

Sandy7654 (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2016

"Propranolol truly has changed my professional life. For the last few years during presentations my heart would beat so fast I felt as if I was going to have a heart attack, during the presentation my voice would shake so bad it would sound like I was about to cry, and I would not even be able to focus on what I was talking about. I take 40 mg of Propranolol about 1 hr before presenting. So far I have used it for two major presentations and one interview and it was worked wonderfully. You definitely still feel the nerves the day leading up to the presentation, all those physical symptoms are gone and I feel so comfortable I can even improvise and think on the spot, something i could never dream of doing before."

jax1668 November 16, 2016

"This drug is a miracle. I presented a presentation today for 30 minutes, and I didn't shake or turn red....as I normally flight or fight myself off the stage. But today, flawless. I felt so confident afterwards. I know this drug only masks the physical symptoms and not the underlying issue but for now, it'll do."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2016

"Isopropranolol is magic. Im a senior biochemistry student (straight As). One problem: during presentations,I shake I blush i have this huge blank in my head and don't even remember what i'm talking about. On the day of the presentation I was nervous all throughout the day heart was pumping loud and fast. I took one pill around an hour before the presentation. I did feel light headed the first 30 mins but it was a nice feeling. My heart kept pumping loudly, but at a very slow rate, which i guess is what this pill does. My presentation went so smoothly and i was calm and able to offer a solid explanation for 25 minutes. Everybody loved it and i was so calm and confident! The pill is magic.."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2016

"i have always been scared of public speaking. I usually experience sweaty hands, flushed face, and worst of all a shaky voice. I'm in my first year of college and had a presentation assigned. I was nervous for months before the day I had to present. a week before the presentation, I talked to my doctor and was prescribed 20mg. I took one an hour before my presentation. I still felt nervous leading up to the presentation and even when I was up front. but once I started speaking, I realized my voice wasn't shaking despite how nervous i felt! I couldn't believe it, I could speak normally through the whole thing. I still experienced sweaty hands, but that doesn't really bother me anyway."

relieved student November 8, 2016

"OMG I've always had bad luck with speaking in in front of groups.... i always stutter and have trouble getting my words out. I tried this medication for my university presentation, and omg i walked up to the stage AND I WASNT FEELING LIKE MY HEART WAS GONNA BOUNCE OUT OF MY CHEST. My heart was at its normal paste paced (slowest) and i was as cool as a cucumber! I talked fluently! and professionally. I didn't talk too fast due nervousness nor did i stutter. I didn't have high hopes for this medication but i was so wrong! THIS DRUG IS A LIFE SAVER. I took 40 mg 40 mins before my presentation. IF you stutter due to nervousness, PLS TRY THIS."

LifeHasChanged November 5, 2016

"Like everyone else I found this an absolute life saver as really struggled with presentations and just day to day work meetings. However I've been taking this for 2 years and recently my symptoms have started to return, even with extremely strong dosages. Has anyone else had the issue where your body becomes immune to this drug? Many thanks in advance"

Donnie b November 4, 2016

"My review is much like everyone else's. In 7th grade, I had my first bad experience speaking in front of the class and my heart started pounding and I couldn't breathe and someone else had to finish what I was reading. I struggled with this all throughout high school and in college I actually dropped a class, then eventually transferred colleges to avoid taking a public speaking course. Sadly, I did not know about this medication. Now, I am A graduate student. I have done 4 speeches since June, all with Propanolol varied from 55-60mg staggered 3 hours until 20-30 mins before my speech. It's a miracle guys. For real. I feel like I can live again. I still worry maybe it won't work and when the time comes it works amazingly. No symptoms!!!"

Wanttosucceed (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 1, 2016

"I'm a c-level exec for a mid-sized health system. Got to this position in life because I work hard and am smart. What I'm not good at, is public speaking. I would get so nervous before public speaking situations that I would want to run. I faced them all head-on but certainly experienced some humiliation and embarrassment. Been taking 30-40 mg of Propranolol for about a year as needed...probably 6-7 times in the past year. The med truly has given me the relief needed and made these presentations and even certain social situations almost enjoyable. I'm not sure why this medicine isn't recommended more other than it works so well that that psychotropic meds may not be needed."

'Bouttime (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 1, 2016

"Pounding heart in any and all public speaking situations and performances. Beta Blockers taken about 2-hours prior alleviate 100% of symptoms. Maybe I'm still nervous, but without the associated physical symptoms, who cares. It works, no side affects, and only taken when I need them. Also tried every other drug or therapy with no or little success."

Cool Cat K (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 26, 2016

"Thanks to all the reviews on this site I went out and got a propranolol prescription. Have always had crushing anxiety any time I felt I was being evaluated. Shaky voice, unable to breathe or speak freely, the works. Had to present my work to 8 executives of a major potential client today, to do with a contract that could turn into millions of dollars for our little company. No pressure. Have been dreading it for weeks. Took 60mg an hour before. It's strange because the usual internal panic I've become so accustomed to just never came. I could have been chatting to my mum, I was that relaxed. It went so well that afterward, when on my own, I nearly cried out of sheer elation that I had found a solution. 31 yr old male"

ThereIsNoSpoon (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2016

"I was prescribed these only today (40mg) along with sertraline (50mg) my my anxiety which has become severe. I'm a third year student required to carry out a number of presentations on my course but previously was so anxious and would break down that I couldn't do them in front of anyone and had to pre-record. I have a presentation due in November and one in December and I have to say after reading everyone's comments I realise I'm not alone and feel so much more confident and am determined to do the presentations face-to-face. "

Ashton emery October 20, 2016

"I had pretty severe performance anxiety literally since primary school. This held me back my whole adult life as I did not pursue opportunities for fear of drawing attention to myself, being put on the spot and required to speak. How amazing that I can write this in past tense now!!! After being utterly sick of my anxiety affecting my life like this, and in preparation for a talk I'd dreaded for 5 months, I got propranolol 40mg from my doctor. Propranolol was massively effective for me - NO blotchy red upper body, heart pounding, stomach cramps, sweating, gasping breath and voice tremors!! How liberating to speak and be myself without my body/adrenaline sabotaging me! I actually enjoyed giving my talk and felt calm throughout. Thrilled!"

Finally fluent (taken for less than 1 month) October 15, 2016

"Propranolol has been truly life changing for me. If you struggle dearly with public speaking anxiety, please go seek out medical advice and get a script for propranolol. All of the debilitating side effects which have held me back for years have vanished. I can even remember switching out of a class during my undergraduate degree because it required a presentation (and following this up with a lie to my friends as to why I switched classes). I'm an outgoing person, but for some reason I've always struggled with the publics perception of me. I like to take two doses, one about 90 minutes, and another 60 minutes before my speech (usually 10-20mg each dose). This medication has been nothing short of a MIRACLE!"

FreeAgain88 October 15, 2016

"Lord have mercy! I never expected that a drug could have a life changing impact on my life. I have struggled with social anxiety all my life and have usually avoided any situation that would require me speaking, even amongst friends. Recently my job requires me to make presentations all over the country. This should be good news to any normal person right? WRONG! Its been a nightmare for me and I've even contemplated resigning.I was desperate and turned to google and my destiny to stumble upon propranolol. I read all the reviews yesterday and immediately got a prescription from my doc. I went into my presentation this morning feeling confident but a little cautious and It was flawless; no increased heart no difficulty breathing.Thank you Prop!!!"

Isk (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2016