User Reviews for Propranolol to treat Performance Anxiety

Also known as: Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, Hemangeol, InnoPran XL

Propranolol Rating Summary

9.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Performance Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol

Ams August 11, 2019

"If you are somebody who suffers from the physical symptoms of anxiety (increased heart rate, shaking, breathlessness, dry mouth) then you must try this product! At school when ever I had to read or speak in public I would always lose breathlessness and shake and be completely embarrassed. Then after discovering this drug when I was informed I had to do a presentation at university and couldn’t escape it, I requested it from my doctor. This is an absolute miracle drug! I can now stand up in front of hundreds of people and feel confident. Although you still feel nervous before a crowd, as soon as you speak you feel a complete sense of calm. I have even been congratulated on how well I read. I now feel so powerful and amazing at public speaking. I can face my fears, all thanks to this amazing drug! I take 40mg an hour before. The only downside is I receive a dry mouth after talking for more than a couple of minutes but keeping water handy is the key."

user101 August 7, 2019

"I finally had the courage to tell my doctor about my anxiety issues when presenting in front of a group. I was prescribed 10mg of propranolol to take as needed before an event. So I gave it a try and took one test pill of 10mg the day before just to see how my body would adjust and I could definitely feel the difference throughout the day however I was still concern 10mg wouldn’t be enough for when I actually present. So the following day I took two 10mg pills 90 minutes before presenting and wow this is a miracle pill! My voice is one to crack fast due to heavy breathing but this was not the case! I would recommend anyone battling with performance anxiety to take this! The only side effect for me was upset stomach the following day but I’ll take that any day instead of making a fool of myself in front of people. Please note, you will still be anxious/nervous (all in your mind) but your heart will not be rushing and this is what makes you be in control :)"

R · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 7, 2019

"Well... I NEVER LEAVE ANY REVIEWS but.... because I used this reviews myself before taking it a few years back I wanted to share my thoughts on it. For Panic attacks, social phobia, and control the fight or flight this medication doing what it suppose to. and this is the BEST! If you just try it at home you won't feel it, but - when you take it before a social event or important meeting when you have to talk in front of people, or even if you have social phobia in general - it acts when you start feeling the stress coming up and you can actually feel the drug stopping it at the same time! Propranolol lets you focus on the big picture and not about hiding your symptoms. Keep in mind, it won't stop anything going in your head, you will still be worried but your body won't betray you Honestly, best thing ever, I take it as needed 40mg. before taking SSRI try this. I hope it will change your life as it did for me. Back in control baby."

Student · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 4, 2019

"I'm a college student and I suck at presentations. The last one was just a small class presentation. I was excited to present, but when I got up there, it all went downhill. I got so nervous for some reason and I could not talk. After that pitiful night., I started getting major performance anxiety for my upcoming presentation because I did not know how to prepare to be calm when I felt like a lion was going to eat me. This anxiety manifested for a year (until my next presentation), until it got to a point where I felt so overwhelmed that I was losing myself. (It got damn bad). I did some research and found this website. I had not seen a higher reviewed drug before. I finally had hope. I promised myself that if this drug actually works, I will comeback and give it a 10. And now, I am back. Had the best presentation in my life. And I am giving it a 10. That's all I'll say."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 31, 2019

"Well, what can I say? It’s all true. I’ve read all the posts and I must say that I agree with those who find propranolol effective. IT JUST WORKS! I mean I’m so shocked how all my symptoms disappeared. No shaky hands, no rapid heartbeat, no sweating, no anxiety other than the anxiety from not knowing whether it would work. I literally walked to the mic in front of 100s of people said my speech, which I prepared diligently, realized I had no symptoms (noted above), smiled and delivered it flawlessly. I’m so happy. This is a life changer. The sky is the limit now. Thanks Propranolol.....YOU’RE THE BEST."

Chief · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 24, 2019

"For sooo long I was suffering alone I am 30 years old and 5 months ago I did not know there was such thing as performance anxiety. The word stage fright was always a myth to even me. Someone who would have increased heart rate, shake, have a funny voice and start sweating just wanting to run from a presentation. My anxiety was so severe, I have been taking only 20mg one hour before known presentations and it works. Today I was caught off guard and told to introduce my self 3 hours after taking my 20mg pill and I was still able to get through it with no physical symptoms. So grateful for this, and the opportunity to be successful in my career."

ka · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 23, 2019

"I take Propranolol on an as-needed basis, so only when I have something like a presentation or job interview. I used to get very shaky and sweaty hands, rapid heart beat, and very shaky voice. I now take 20mg of Propranolol 30 mins to an hour before the event and I am a-okay! It's amazing. Of course there is still mental anxiety, but it is not manifesting physically in the body, so I am much more confident. I don't have the added anxiety of worrying that everyone can see how nervous I am. This was a life saver in college and helped me out tremendously. Would highly highly recommend talking to your doctor if you suffer from this kind of anxiety. After taking this pill and doing many presentations in college, I can now do presentations without it (smaller ones anyway). It is truly a game changer."

pnc · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2019

"It is a double-edged sword: you feel invisible to the audience but it negatively alters your perception of sound (for example, a tuned guitar sounds out of tune) which removes the enjoyment of music. On the other hand it can produce a depression about a week after its use."

Annoy July 21, 2019

" I suffer from stage fright, shaky voice, fast heartbeat, my hands get shaky when I'm nervous. I'm in South Africa, I want to try it but I might need to get a prescription from the Doctor, it is called Inderal here in South Africa"

JustAregularGuy · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2019

"This drug propranolol really helped me for situational performance anxiety in my professional career. It calms me down and enables me to speak without being bothered by my heart-rate or breathing or being too rushed. It's a great confidence booster, I now have no doubts that I can present well no matter the situation (provided I am well prepared). I found that only 10mg taken 90-60 min beforehand already works perfectly for me. For some bigger events I did take 20mg, 10mg 4 hours before and 10mg 90min before which helps reduce anxiety in the run-up."

Jackobi · Taken for less than 1 month July 17, 2019

Inderal (propranolol): "I take Inderal with Klonopin and other psych. meds. Helps blood with blood pressure but not a great anti-anxiety drug by itself. The only side effect that bothers me is too many nightmares at bedtime and blurry vision."

Bez · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 15, 2019

"What an amazing drug propranolol is. I was suffering with anxiety and panic attacks after a horrific year. Anxiety was unbearable and affecting my sleep, appetite and I was becoming pretty much dysfunctional. Worst thing I've had to manage. Anyway tried Sertraline which gave me terrible side effects so came off it after 4 days. Diazepam was great but was worried about its addictive tendencies so I decided to give Propanalol a go. I only took 10mg after an awful night with anxiety and its worked a dream. I will be continuing this regularly for now and feel the most relaxed Ive felt in a long time."

Pammy June 30, 2019

"I have always known I can sing and I'm good at it, but when I sing in front of an audience my stage fright ruins my performance. In short I sound terrible. But with this drug, I can sing on stage in front of hundreds of people and not only do I feel great and have fun doing it....the audience gives me awesome feedback confirming that the performance was really really good, both during the performance and by the sincere heartfelt comments afterward. Many want to know if I am a professional singer, which I am not, to which they always say, "Well you should be!" I feel like Sally Fields when she said "You like me you really like me!" Ha! Ha!"

Dilsh · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2019

"I experience extreme social anxiety when it comes to public speaking like presentation what we have to do in the university. I was escaping from presentations because every time even if I thinks of a one I get panic attacks, as well as shaky voice and hands so badly.. But I took Propranolol 20mg two hours before and another 10mg 30 min before the presentation. I became confident than ever before. It was perfect. It was a miracle.. No panic No shakiness. Great.... But after 4 to 5 hours taking it, I was feeling really tired. Then I slept for few hours. But on the day after I was feeling really well again.."

Deck the halls · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2019

"Listen to me, take control of your life back today and get a script for this. I was demoted from a job last year because I couldn’t get up in front of people anymore. The propranolol (a betablocker) is What you can take before a speech or presentation to get rid of any anxiety. Last week I used propranolol to give a speech to 40 of my colleagues. It went off without a hitch. I won’t say I smashed it, over time my skills will improve. But I was NOT dealing with losing my train of thought, out of control heart rate and did not consider leaving the room 30 seconds into my speech. This is truly a miracle drug. It won’t get rid of the nerves in your stomach entirely, prepare yourself for that. But as soon as you get up there, it’s all gone and becomes fun. I took 30mg 2 hours before, 20mg one hour before, and 10mg 5 minutes before."

Jay June 20, 2019

"29 year old male, 75kg. Suffer from panic attacks when presenting. Voice wobbling etc. The drug suppressed the adrenaline associated with anxiety. After taking it the experience for me was one of fear of presenting but no fast heartbeat, flushed cheeks, sweaty palms or sheer panic. A controlled edgy subtle fear, which turned to excitement and enthusiasm once I started speaking and felt none of the usual symptoms. It is a great option for people like me who have panic attacks. Dosage: I took 10mg a day before to get used to it and ensure I felt ok. Next day, I took 20mg an hour before the presentation and it was great. I was worried I’d taken it too early or maybe not enough and was tempted to take another 10mg pill. In the end I just stuck with the 20mg and it worked a charm. Side effects: slight headache on both occasions. Dry throat a few hours after taking it. Very tired for a few hours after taking it where I have needed to have a nap. Finally, it upset my stomach slightly."

JMR June 18, 2019

"I have taken the drug only a few times and it has already been a game changer for me. My job requires me to participate in meetings and sometimes doing small introductions and presentations and I've been getting severe anxiety (hot face, shaky voice, heart pounding). It was so bad I would get super anxious DAYS before. My anxiety would trigger even if it was with a group of just three people; my mind would go blank. I knew my performance and reputation were suffering so I decided to see my dr and he prescribed 10mg. I just got out of an introduction meeting before a group of 50+ people and took 2 pills beforehand. I was still very nervous after taking the pills 30 mins prior, but I eventually felt very calm and was not nearly as nervous when it was my turn to introduce myself. I was able to speak with confidence and not rush through my words, and best of all NO SHAKY VOICE! What I also like about this drug is that it doesn't make me drowsy and keeps my mind clear."

Member1709 June 12, 2019

"I told myself I would post a review once I tried this medication when I knew I would be presenting. So the day of, I take 10mg in the morning, 10 mg an hour before the presentation and another 10mg 20 mins before. I am 5'0 and weigh about 108 lbs. It did make me a bit dizzy, slightly but not enough to let me lose my train of thought. My eyes felt a little heavy too. It may be the dosage was too much for me but I was so worried it would not work if i did not take enough. Anyway when it comes my turn to speak, I felt I was nervous but I did not have any of my usual tremors, shaky voice, thwarting eye movement, fight or flight response. It was manageable and I was able to speak through what I had to say. I did not give a perfect presentation but my physiology not attacking me was more than enough to make me feel that I did!!! I was not humiliated as I would normally feel. I did have insomnia after and am not sure if it is the drug or I was so excited that I got through that ordeal."

Rango · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2019

"Propranolol was AMAZING. I had a presentation in my class and I think I was better than everyone else and performed so confident. I took 3-4 10mg for every hour before the presentation and a 20mg an hour before. I was so uneasy in previous presentations."

Steve · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 30, 2019

"Just wow, I'm probably the most nervous speaker on the planet and many months of trying to find the correct dosage ended with me presenting in front of 300 people and wanting to carry on forever! It's a truly miracle drug. I've tried everything under the sun ranging from Public speaking courses to hypno but nothing worked. So the dosage that works for me for public speaking is a large dosage, Propranolol 80mg Slow release in the morning. 40mg 2 hours before and 40mg 1 hour before and 20mg 15 mins before. Bingo!"

Cleisthenes · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 27, 2019

"Never posted a review on anything before but felt moved to with propranolol. I never had a problem with presentations until a bad experience last year and since then I had completely lost my confidence. Not a good thing in the role I am in. I got a prescription from my doctor and it really has transformed everything. I have only ever used it when giving a presentation- I take 40mg (Inderal) an hour to 45 minutes before the presentation and it works within 5 minutes. You're calm and controlled. Your brain tries to get your adrenaline going and heart pumping and your body just refuses to. It creates a positive feedback loop almost as if your body tells your brain "Look there's absolutely NOTHING to worry about"- your brain relaxes and off you go- no shaking, trembling, sweating or shaky voice. Its difficult to put into words how grateful I am for propranolol and whilst my aim is not to have to use it, its there if I need it."

Anonymous May 15, 2019

"propranolol is incredible for stage fright or performance anxiety or public speaking. I'm an actor and I went through some trauma that left me with crippling anxiety which targeted me especially whilst performing. It took my livelihood away and stripped me from the thing I love to do most. Read about this drug, got a prescription and took 20 mg 2 hours before a big performance, then 40 mg an hour before. I lost all my performance anxiety and delivered an incredible performance that everyone was raving about! I felt amazing! Really recommend this drug for anyone struggling with performance anxiety, it can really be a lifesaver."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2019

"Saved my career. I’m in my early forties and have had a crippling fear of public speaking since college. I recently had a presentation in front of 50 people. I took Propranolol 10mg 2 hrs before and an additional 5 mg an hour before my public speaking role / speech (Just for the record I’m 5ft 2 / 110 lbs and my blood pressure is in the low/normal range for reference). I felt completely calm and actually enjoyed doing the presentation. It’s given me such a boost in confidence that I actually welcome the next opportunity to speak. However, It’s important to note, I was very well prepared and confident in my knowledge on the topic."

Jim · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2019

"I don't know the legitimacy of reviews on this site, but these are all in line with what I have experienced. Stage anxiety can really hold people back in life, and it has for me for a long time. Lying awake thinking about this sort of stuff, and it used to absolutely terrify me. Propranolol has changed my life, I take one before a presentation or speech for work and I have 0 physical symptoms. I can present in front of an audience. You still need to learn how to be a good public speaker and gradually improve but it really is a miracle pill and I can't recommend it enough. Go get some if you are reading this and have a big speech you are worried about, you will absolutely smash it :)"

Sarah April 23, 2019

"Was nervous to make a toast at a wedding - lost so much sleep over it ! Took 50 mg over the course of 3 hours before the event and worked like a charm! I had a speech written and started adding in more because I was so confident up there. Afterwards someone told me I’m such a good public speaker. Don’t give it a second thought - I wish I knew about this my whole life!"