User Reviews for Propranolol to treat Performance Anxiety

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Propranolol Rating Summary

9.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Performance Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol

"Propranolol is a miracle . I suffered from performance anxiety so much . I just run away from any presentations , debates , ielts speaking test and others . I get terrified since every time I stand and talk . I got those shakes especially my voice was trembling and disappearing and I got sweating so much . Last week my college adviser chose me to present in front of people and I just get terrified as always . So I searched up on net and from this (life saver) . I though to my self lets give it a try . I took 40mg before 45 min of the presentation. So once my presentation starts I feel the anxiety but when I just said the first word ..... my voice was steady and loud and could think well . I feel huge confident and started to speak more and more without stop . And I got people clapping after I had done my presentation and yeah this medicine is my new friend <3"

Unk833 (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2019

"I am so grateful to have found propranolol. While in school studying court reporting, the most difficult part of my college career were tests. I could type well over 200 wpm in my sleep, but every time it came to take a test, my nerves would completely take over and I would freeze. My hands would shake uncontrollably and suddenly I couldn’t type. After 6 months of failing the same test over and over, I got this prescription & finally passed that one test the 1st time w/this med. for the 1st time ever my hands didn’t shake one bit. I remember feeling calm and was able to focus on the test rather that fighting my nerves. I don’t think I would have graduated college w/o it. I am now a court reporter which it my biggest accomplishment. Now I work as a court reporter and have the skill for this profession and thanks to this medication I was able to get to where I am at now because I was able to pass w/confidence in my skill that I worked so hard to achieve."

MelisaaT March 12, 2019

"This medication does not solve my underlying social and performance anxiety, but it basically makes my professional life manageable. Without it, I can get fight/flight responses which completely destroys my confidence and ability to even present myself in front of a group of people without having what feels like a panic attack. Heart racing to the point that it feels like I can't get a word out. In some sense I'm disappointed that I need this to feel okay about my life, but mostly I'm just very grateful that it's there . I would recommend this to anyone who suffers with these issues. Enables you to focus on your job without having to battle your own body."

Kynes_m35 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 4, 2019

"A few months ago I had to make a best mans speech at my brothers wedding. Public speaking gives me the worse anxiety, hands shake, voice starts to tremble, and the sweat starts to pour. When I woke up in the morning I took 40mg, about 2-3 hours later I took another 40mg, and then another 40mg 2 hours later which was 30 minutes before my speech. Once my first words came out standing in front of 200 people, I realized my anxiety suddenly disappeared almost to the point where I was excited to be up in front of everyone. After my speech was done, multiple people have told me that it was the best best man speech that they have ever witnessed. This came to a total surprise because I'm normally so nervous that I forget everything I am supposed to say. For the people that really want to know how this works its simple. It also gives you the ability to think about what your saying before you say it rather then just rambling on. This drug took out my "Ughhhhs" and replaced it with short pauses."

Andrew February 28, 2019

"Had to present to a few hundred people which would normally have me crippled with anxiety. Took 10mg when I woke up, another 10mg two hours later and 10mg half hour before talk. Standing on the stage I was a bit anxious but had zero physical symptoms. Fight or flight was fast asleep!!! I was shocked because I was able to look out at the audience without worrying what they thought and I almost enjoyed being up there. Really wish I’d known about this years ago and can’t recommend enough."

It’s-magic (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2019

"This drug certainly does work for those who suffer performance anxiety. The dread before hand, during a presentation, standing in front of a group of people, shaky hands, dry mouth, stuttered voice, racing words. But it is not the be all and end all. It reduces the physical symptoms of anxiety. It will stop you shaking somewhat. It will stop you sweating somewhat, and help you get "the edge" to make that presentation or performance. Your voice will not be as shakey. You must also try to improve you performance techniques. This drug will help calm to a little extent some of the things that unsettle you during a presentation. If you do not know presentation skills, if you do not know your subject you are presenting, then this drug will do little to aid it. A pharmaceutical fix to you being unprepared will NOT WORK. For me, someone who takes this drug to help me through presentations - the type where I am on a podium in front of an audience of hundreds - it works to steady the nerves."

SJ73R (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 20, 2019

"I’m loud by nature and have a history of asthma — and nerves. But I‘ve poured the things I’m passionate about in my career. That once resulted in a dreadful, “My Cousin Vinnie” scene. More sedatives, more meditation, more preparation for public speaking were doing it, but left me feeling like I was gambling every time I got on my feet (my writing is top notch, so I wasn’t about to lose my license, but) I just wanted more control so I felt as confident on my feet as I did in my writing. I don’t believe in “magic pills” but this comes as close to one as there is. It feels like an introvert’s cushion in the professional world. I have a strong constitution, so no side effects. I’ve been with my doctor for over a decade and he’s said the pill either works wonderfully, or not at all. Get a good doctor and see if it works for you .... I’ve never been so pleasantly surprised by myself."

Happy it worked (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2019

"For years my anxiety and public speaking fears have hindered my ability to perform at work and school. My face would get sweaty and red, my heart would beat out of my chest, my voice was shaky, and I couldn't stand still. Not to mention the awkwardness I felt because I felt like everyone around me knew I was a wreck. I can function perfectly at home and with friends, and then I'm a completely different person when I'm nervous. I also had this demoralizing feeling that I failed at work and there was nothing I could do. So I went to my doctor a few weeks ago and he recommended propranolol and it changed my life in the best possible way. I tried it and let me tell you it worked! It didn't take away all of the mental anxiety, but for the first time in my career I feel like it wasn't weighted down by my anxiety. My mental clarity improved, and the physical symptoms completely went away, and for the first time I feel like I am confident at work which is incredibly liberating. Boom!"

G-Man February 6, 2019

"I have promised myself to share my experience when I survive my presentation in front of 10 people. So here I am - male, 40y, 165 lbs Had stage fright with the usual symptoms (red face, pounding heart, loss of mother tongue,..) all my life, was extremely scared and avoided such occasions after high school until my boss asked me in my forties and I couldn’t say no. Read reviews here about this drug and got a prescription for it. The knowledge alone to have it calmed me down until 2 days prior where I couldn’t get any night sleep. Took 40 mg 3h and 40mg 1h before. Went through it and I have to say it actually 100% works! No physical symptoms, the nervousness remained however and I think everyone in the room noticed that presentations are not my daily business. Verdict: it won’t make you to the next Obama and you will still be nervous. But you can be absolutely sure that you have no physical symptoms and with practice I truly believe anyone can be a good public speaker."

Lucky Man January 23, 2019

"This is the most amazing drug ever. I had severe stage fright my whole life and went through heaps of drama having to present. I went through so much skipping presentations and stressing so much over having to public speak. If you take enough of this drug and at least 1.5 hrs prior to the event then you will feel almost no physical symptoms. I still feel a little symptoms but it’s it’s definitely easily manageable. The mental anxiety will still be there."

Luke56 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2019

"This medication makes you feel so confident, that you may feel you don't need it. Don't be fooled and know your body. I started taking this after starting a new job and suddenly began to tremble, had dry mouth, etc during basic presentations. I've noticed this in the past but was always able to manage it. I'm so glad I saw a psychiatrist and nothing was actually wrong with me. I thought so because I'm actually an extravert and enjoy talking a lot but the nervousness that would come over me made me feel as though my body was not being true to who I know myself as. Anyway, with this medication....WE HAVE OVERCOME...."

Anonymous January 15, 2019

"Love it. Truly a life saver.. makes life much easier as far as pubilc speaking goes."

Inderaltryer January 13, 2019

"I talked to my doctor about my stage fright and she prescribed me 20 mg of propranolol. I've used it one night last week at a performance and I did not experience any of the physical symptoms of stage fright that I usually have. I usually get dry mouth , sweating , a throat tightening sensation , racing heart and shakiness. I was nervous , but it was literally only in my mind. My body was able to function normally and I was able to sing freely ,confidently and I felt AMAZING. I took 60 mg that day , one at around 2/3 pm and 2 more at 8/9 pm 30 mins before my performance . I won't be using propranolol for every performance because my goal is to naturally be able to control my stage fright symptoms. If you're suffering from performance anxiety , definitely give propranolol a try to help manage your nerves!!"

anonartist January 10, 2019

"Amazing. 1st experience: 20mg 3 hours before, 20mg 1 hour before, 10mg half hour before. Presented and absolutely no physical symptoms, I was amazed. At no point did I feel shakey. The presentation itself went bad, this drug does not excuse poor preparation however I was confident this would help me In my coming projects. 2nd experience (big presentation in front of class and head of schools, very high pressure): 40mg at 7:00am, 40mg at 8am and 40mg at 9:30am with my presentation at 10:30. I had prepared for weeks and was confident. I said my first line and oh my god, I just couldn't stop talking! It was amazing! I spoke loud, clear and confidently. There was no adrenaline rush and no shaking and my voice was perfect. What I was trying to share from these two experiences was that Propranolol works amazingly. However if you are unprepared, it is no miracle but if you prepare and know your work then trust me, you will be able to speak clearly without any physical symptoms."

Anon January 8, 2019

"I've always suffered from severe anxiety and a triggered "fight or flight" response during most stressful situations, for the vast majority of my life. Needless to say, often times it has made life an overbearing and unmanageable life for me. Stressful situations generally bring about severe shaking, very rapid heartbeat, flushed red face, shaky voice, "cottonmouth", and feeling like I'm going to jump out of my skin. Propranolol completely, unequivocally, and 100% prevents that for me!!!! It totally shuts down my response to stress stimulus. I take it anywhere from 30 - 45 minutes before nerve-wracking situations and it feels like I'm made of steel! All of the above symptoms are completely eliminated. It allows me to get through otherwise unbearably high pressure and even confrontational situations for me. All physical symptoms of anxiety are simply not there when I take it. If I could rate it higher than a 10 I would!"

Chrispin (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 22, 2018

"Great medication!! I've used several times for important meeting and presentations. Previously my voice always started to tremble during presentations which then made me panic and short of breath. I was constantly gasping for air and couldn't stay focused on the content. This med helps keep you relaxed so you can focus on the content and deliver with confidence. It doesn't make the anxiety go away leading up to the event, but I feel with enough positive experiences that will eventually diminish too."

DG (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 17, 2018

"I play in a community orchestra and have had anxiety playing in a public concert: dry mouth, pounding heart, sweaty hands (difficult for playing the violin), and loss of concentration. Tried one 20 mg tablet of propranolol one hour prior to the concert. I was free of the physical symptoms, and though I was still a little nervous, I was able to concentrate and enjoy the experience."

Deb (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2018

"I have to do presentations for university every year and they are always horrific, no matter how well prepared I am. My heart is always pounding and I physically shake - I now know that this is the body’s response to an over production of adrenaline when it goes into fight or flight mode. Propranolol completely stops the pounding heart and shaking. For my last presentation I took 40mg in the morning and another 40mg about 45 minutes before and it worked so well - got an A!!!!! Life changing!!!! Highly recommend this drug, however it doesn’t take away the pre-presentation nerves, just the physical signs like shaking, voice tremors and sweating"

Anonymous December 13, 2018

"WOW! So I have had major depression & anxiety since I was 17. I am a 25 year old female. For the past couple of years I would HATE to go to interviews so much so that the last year & a half I did not work because I had constant negative thoughts like I’m not smart enough etc. Every time I would go to an interview my heart would start to physically hurt before, fast HR, my voice would crack, I would trip over words or my mind would go blank. Anti-anxiety meds never helped. I decided to try 10mg of propanolol 1 hr before an interview that my Dr prescribed months ago. I am AMAZED! I was able to speak clearly, by body was calm which in turn made my mind calm, wasn’t shaky, I was able to follow my train of thought & even came across as confident! I went to 3 interviews this week & it worked for all of them. I didn’t feel sleepy, just calm, cool & collected. This med helped me come across as who I really am & I am so thankful for it :) do not hesitate to try it. I wish I started it sooner"

anewlife44 (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2018

"This prescription drug saved my career. If you are an individual who has stage fright or anxiety presenting don't be afraid any more. Try this prescription and you will own the floor and lead with all the confidence in the world. Major life game changer for me. Hell yes!"

Fred (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2018

"OMG! I've always been nervous presenting because of all the symptoms described, and did have a panic attack on stage in front of colleagues and execs several years ago - a horrendous experience, which has compounded the issue. After discovering the reviews on this site I just tried Propranolol for a presentation in front of 100 colleagues on stage - what a difference. No dry mouth, no racing heart beat - just easy control of the situation. Obviously preparation for the content is key too, but none of the usual symptoms. I wish I'd discovered this decades ago - my career started in late 80s and I've always steered away from presentations when I could. Always been fine when sat around a table, but always feared presenting when stand in front of a crowd. I took 10mg 2 hours before, and 20mg 1 hour before."

SalesVP (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2018

"Last time I have a speech was in 2009 I completely froze. Today under doctor orders I took 60 mg before a short presentation and it went to good. I took 30 mg 2 hours before and the next 30 mg 30 minutes before. I couldn’t believe it. I sat up there and spoke 30 minutes and could have kept going. Amazinggggg medicine thank you whoever invented beta blockers"

Chole (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2018

"43 y.o., male,180 lb, physically active. My entire life I dreaded public speeches. I had to do them nevertheless, because of my job position and community work. The days before such an event were dominated by fear, and my performance on the speeches always made me frustrated. My body was always rigid, my face with an angry defensive look, and my voice, shaky. Once, when doing an one-hour presentation in front of 300 people, I simply froze. Today I had a 45-minute presentation for 100+ people, and I took 10mg propanolol 2 h before the presentation, and 20mg 1 h before. To my complete astonishment, I ACTUALLY ENJOYED BEING ON STAGE. I could walk while talking, move my body and arms, gesticulate, control my intonation, choose words, make humorous remarks. I remember thinking "geez, I could even try tap dancing right now". I was much complimented, and a friend that has seen me presenting many times asked if I have been taking some kind of public speech training."

Engineer from Southern Brazil November 14, 2018

"Anyone who is looking for a real solution to that horrible feeling of short breath, heart beating and sweat should try this. It is a great help for public speaking and important meetings. You can finally be who you really are and perform naturally! I have never felt any side effects. I have read the comments in this page and it worked for me! So I decided to share my experience as well and help others! I do the same as suggested here, 2 to 4mg 30 or 40 mins before the event I needed it for."

YoungCEO (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 14, 2018

"I was hesitant to take this drug for months, and after reading the reviews on here over and over, I'm really happy that I decided to go for it today. I had a dreaded work presentation and did not want to take the chance of being 'out of it' with Xanax. I'm a middle aged woman in business, 115 pounds. Ended up taking 20 mg of Propranolol 2 hours before the presentation, and just like everyone said, it worked wonders! I had no nervous symptoms at all, and it went well."

westcoast1017 (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2018