User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Propranolol Rating Summary

9.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Performance Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat Performance Anxiety

"This drug just works. Looks like real life saver like everyone said on here. I used it for presenting in front of 1000 people. I have always experiencing performance anxiety but I was handling it after few minutes of shaky voice, dry mouth and high heart rate. This time it was a big event and I was in very bad mood for even 1 week before the performance due to large audience. I took 40mg 1 hour before performance and it was amazing. I tried 20mg 1 day before the event to observe the effects to my body. I need to make sure that it's not causing and unmanageable side effects. There was none. (This is only for me don't jump any conclusion here. Ask your doctor and try it by yourself) Like everyone says this doesn't have any effect on nerves but your body won't let you down. Make no mistake; you still need to work really hard in your performance. I did at least 5 practices before the presentation. I was full prepared and ready!"

Cerebro (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2018

"I have had debilitating speech anxiety and social phobia since I was about 10 (now 46). Have been to numerous Dr’s over the years and tried everything - many antidepressants, Xanax, even MAOI’s. Nothing helped. In college I avoided classes and skipped presentations by making excuses. The new company I work for has an annual meeting and I have to stand in front of 170 people and introduce myself. After fretting over this for months (contemplating resigning), I knew I had to find something to help. I finally found this board for Propranolol. I went to my PCP and he prescribed 20 mg one hour prior to the meeting. What a blessing! I was able to stand up there without blushing uncontrollably, no elevated heart rate and no adrenaline rush. I think 30mg might have even been better if I had to talk more. I am so happy to have found this! Thank to all who left your stories on this board!"

Nrrvous (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2018

"I developed severe performance anxiety that would leave me vomiting before, during and after a stage show. Decided to give up acting as I couldn't cope with the extreme anxiety. I auditioned for and landed an amazing lead role but was immediately panicked by the thought of not being able to do it due to anxiety. The Dr prescribed me propranolol and oh my gosh does it work! I did three performances and took 20mg 90 mins before, 20mg 30 minutes before and 20mg in the interval and I loved every second of it. For the first time in years I actually enjoyed a performance. I had normal nerves (jitters, butterflies and dry mouth) but nothing unmanageable and they disappeared when I got into the swing of things. It felt like a miracle. If you are struggling with performance anxiety absolutely try this, if it works for someone with as extreme anxiety issues as me then it's definitely worth a try!"

MissOz (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2018

"I am at loss for words. I freeze up, my heart beats so hard and fast I can feel it in my cheeks. My face turns so red and I can barely speak. My freshmen year I had a horrific incident with public speaking and ever since then I haven’t been able to do it. I had finally had enough. I was so depressed and didn’t want to live my life because I was so convinced I was going no where in life because mentally I just couldn’t overcome this. I FINALLY got a prescription and oh my word. You guys. A LIFE CHANGER. I was extremely skeptical that all these reviews were just ads so I was so scared to put myself in the line of fire and it not work. I got up there to present... my anxiety THROUGH THE ROOF. My voice came out shaky the first word, and then boom. I felt so calm... my heart wasn’t beating fast at all....I was laughing having a good time. Felt like I was having a conversation with my mom. I literally excused myself to the bathroom after so I could go cry happily."

Anonymous April 4, 2018

"I have struggled speaking in front of large crowds over my career in leadership. Specifically with the first couple minutes from adrenaline which would noticeably make me talk fast, be short of breath, cracky voice, etc. it hasn’t been horrifying over time. Recently I had to speak for 30 min In front of every leader in my region which wasn’t over 100 people. I came across THIS site and figured I would try this pill based off the high reviews. This pill is a miracle!!! I killed the presentation and never suffered from the affect of high adrenaline when I was speaking. Now this will not fix the anxiety leading the presentation, however once you build confidence that you are able to communicate effectively when in front of everyone, the anxiety will become less and less. I experimented with different dosage before the presentation and decided to go 20mg two hours before and 10 mg and hour before. I am 180 pounds so this might differ based on your tolerance."

Mac March 24, 2018

"About 13 years ago I was hired on to a large Corporation. It required small presentations which were initially not an issue. About 3 years ago I was promoted to my dream position. Presenting on a bigger scale. My presenting is over the phone to upper mgmt and SR Engineers. During one of my proposals I had a full panic attack. I couldn't speak or articulate my ideas. My voice was unrecognizable. I struggled, fumbled and sounded awful. Embarrassed! After that moment I struggled regularly. Every time I was required to provide a proposal I had the worst anxiety; PANIC. I found this site and went to my Dr to discuss if Propranolol would be right for me. For me this mediation is a miracle. It did not take away the anxiety, but my symptoms of racing heart, shaky hands, inability to speak, memory loss or unable to articulate the subject matter was gone. This medication is a career saver for me. I give this tool a A+ for my situation"

Brad March 22, 2018

"Truly Amazing! Don't get me wrong, when I'm told I have to present I still go into panic mode prior to the presentation. I view this as helpful as it forces me to come fully prepared. Its sort of funny how you worry right up till its your turn to present ( is it going to work?) then you get up there and you realize its working and your doing it. People now say they like it when I do presentations."

TP (taken for 10 years or more) March 18, 2018

"Well I had this tremors and shaky voice for like 3 years I guess. I am 18 years old and I read a lot of reviews of a certain product before taking them so I would know all of the facts and side effects to start with. With this propranolol I was skeptical but I used it 20 minutes before my big presentation on a big crowd of 200 people and I can say that I nailed it"

procrastinator March 18, 2018

"The answer to my prayers over speaking anxiety! I hated how nervous I got a month before a big event. The anxiety would haunt me. The day of was crazy! The presentation was all I could think about. I went to the doctor for a general checkup and explained my predicament, and she gave me this pill! No more panic! Super calm presentation!"

SM March 3, 2018

"All, I swore if this drug worked that I would write a post to help others. This drug just help me conquer my biggest fear. I have been scared of public speaking my whole life and I am a lawyer and would avoid it at all costs. Small meetings I am fine but anytime there is an audience I get all symptoms and I have been embarrassed so many times. Well that is finally over! I took 40mg about an hour and a half before speaking at my new firm and nailed it. Cured! I was calm and for once didn't embarrass myself. I actually enjoyed it! Wow. I can't even express how good this feels. Take this drug and be cured !"

Fear conquered! (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2018

"I am a 42 year old male already on metoprolol for blood pressure which is also a beta blocker. I was in a class and when asked to do a presentation had a full blown panic attack. My adrenaline set my heart racing so fast I had to leave after about 30 seconds - And what is so horrible about it is that you are powerless against it. My doctor said just substitute the Propranolol at a lesser dosage and don’t take my Metoprolol when I have a presentation This morning I gave a speech and took 15 mg of Propranolol instead of my 25 mg of Metoprolol about an hour before my speech. At first I was worried because I could not tell if it would prevent the onset of a panic attack. I walked up there and aced my speech. It truly is a miracle drug - if you are prepared for your presentation or speech you will be able to pull it off with a relaxed poise and confidence - it just completely blocks the “fight or flight” response of your body. I am just going to try a lesser dose next time"

Social Anxiety February 21, 2018

"Been experiencing performance anxiety during my career. I have either avoided presenting by calling in sick or hiding behind a colleague who took all the accolades. I have also been humiliated when I tried to just do it. My voice faltered, hands shook and I crumbled like a deck of cards. Last month I had to deliver a 20 min presentation to 100 people. After contemplating resigning, I came to this page. I did not know a miracle drug existed. I called my doctor and got 40mg tablets. I took one tablet 2 hours before the presentation and then another one 30 mins before. I still practised and ensured I knew my subject matter - but I smashed the presentation. I was calm, no cold hands, no tremble in the voice and no elevated heartbeat. Everyone praised me and it gave me immense confidence. Recommend anyone who suffers from public speaking anxiety. But do practice and prepare in advance. This drug will definitely help. So pleased I found this page! Thank you all for your comments here."

Kuks393 February 13, 2018

"I am very outgoing and gregarious, however, when I have to public speak my anxiety goes into overdrive. So I was terrified when I found out I had to MC a wedding with hundreds of people a few weeks before, so I went to my doctor who recommended 10mg of propranolol at 2 hours and another 10mg 1 hour before. All I can say is that it saved me unlike any medication ever has. My heartbeat was steady, my face unflushed, and my voice calm and confident. I actually was able to enjoy the experience!! I now take it for interviews and presentations in law school and have found similar success. I also have no side effects to report other than I felt dizzy when I combined it with alcohol, but that is obvious and I should have been more careful. Great medication!"

Steve Angelo February 12, 2018

"I had a major presentation and I was worried sick about symptoms of the fight or flight response. I recently had to cancel a presentation just because of this initial 2min symptoms .. But couldn't cancel the following presentation ... So I prayed ( sounds very cheesy I know ) to God / divine to help me So landed on this page and read all the + feed backs. I got the medication and promised myself that if it worked for me I will write a review so that my review may help someone else . Just like these reviews gave me the confidence to go ahead . I highly recommend this it . I took 40mg 2 hours before the presentation and another 40mg 40 minutes before the presentation omg it worked wonderfully I was amazed- If you are struggling with public speaking please take it"

Star368 February 8, 2018

"Having been suffering for anxiety particularly when speaking in groups, I was relieved to have found this solution. Having recently started at university my anxiety had been spiralling out of control, particularly in seminars where I would stay mute and paralysed by my own inhibiting thoughts. After a friend recommended these to me I went to my doctor, worried he would not prescribe. Luckily he did, and he said this was very common which was also great to hear. Take one 20mg around 1 hour before I need and I feel calm and not prisoner to my fight or flight response. Reading all these reviews felt wonderful too to know that I am not alone in my struggle!!"

nicky873 February 4, 2018

"My first review ever for anything Who ever have social anxiety this is what you’ve been looking for all your life. Game changer ! 1000/1000! Taking 20-40mg before stressful event and you’re a rock star. Hands down!"

John73737272728 February 3, 2018

"Early in high school I was a target for bullying. This eventually made me develop severe social anxiety issues. Once, I had to do a presentation. To make a long story short, both my hands and voice started shaking heavily, generating the laughter of my classmates. That was the most humiliating experience of my life. I eventually dropped out of high school out of fear of having to do more public speaking. I am now a grown man of 28 and over the last years made plans to get an education. So I have been back to College recently and had to present to the group. I took 20mg two hours before the presentation, and 20 more one hours before. .. and it worked really well. My body stayed calm and my words came out like they would if I spoke to myself in the mirror. I'm excited because I don't have to fear presentations anymore.. after 14 years of dodging it."

alexall January 27, 2018

"I've found Propranolol to be a true miracle for performance anxiety at my job. I occasionally take 10mg or 20mg 1.5 hours before I present at meetings and it's changed my life. It's allowed me to focus completely on the topic I'm speaking about and really feel like I'm connecting with people. I could not do this before. I've even been promoted in large part to being able to effectively communicate to groups. I have seen absolutely no side affects although I only take it infrequently."

SpeakUp (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 26, 2018

"Amazing. Miracle drug for public speaking"

Sean77777 January 21, 2018

"I have always been uncomfortable speaking in front of groups of people so I went to my physician and he prescribed propranolol. I also have slightly high blood pressure so trying this medication made good sense for me on both fronts. This week I tried the medication for a speaking event at work with approximately 400 in attendance. I took 20mg approximately 2 hours prior to the event. I was very pleased with the result. I was much more relaxed and had no difficulty delivering my remarks. Next time I will use a slightly higher dose (200 lb male). Definitely worth using to take the edge off the anxiety of public speaking."

Ekkim January 18, 2018

"I had what can only be described as a mini panic-attack during a presentation before 10-12 people and since that time I have developed a terrible performance anxiety when giving sales updates to management or giving presentations. I tried hypnosis... didn't work.I decided to take the plunge and try propranolol. I take 60mg when doing presentations I'm very nervous about. It does NOT stop the feeling of anxiety, but when you start speaking you don't go bright red, your voice doesn't close up or go shaky and you feel as if you are just talking to a friend/acquaintance, this helps keep you calm and stop the ultra panic spiral. It's not a miracle cure, but It definitely helps."

salesman with glossophobia (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2018

"It's a travesty that this medication isn't known by most who have issues with public speaking and performance panic attacks, which are crippling and cruel conditions. Happy to report, the reviews are all spot on. Propranolol is a literal miracle drug. Performance anxiety crippled my career and general enjoyment of life since forever. It was surreal to be put on the spot and realize my body, for once, wasn't going to betray me. It's enabled me to talk to large groups as comfortably as I would talk to a family member at dinner. It won't stop you from worrying about an upcoming but you really will be an iceman when you get put on the spot."

NewSpeaker January 6, 2018

"I've never written a review like this before, but the others on here helped me, so... Performance anxiety had plagued me for years. I wouldn't sleep for weeks leading up to a presentation and would think about it constantly. I found ways to avoid public speaking in the past but got a new job that required me to present regularly. I actually ended up having a full blown attack in front of my boss and others. Dizzy, couldn't find my words, shaking, etc. Had to walk out of the room humiliated. Propranolol was a miracle for me. Completely took away the panic symptoms. You will go up there anticipating that feeling to hit and it simply never will. You'll feel calm. No racing heart of shaking voice. You'll be focused and confident. Try it!"

Grateful Presenter (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 2, 2018

"I had always get bad anxiety along with hot flushes. I have been taking 20mg and it has done wonders for me. I will continue to keep taking this for a long time to come."

whippet121 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 29, 2017

"Dr prescribed 10 mg to help with anxiety. I took 1 pill yesterday evening and this morning I felt extremely sleepy/drowsy and felt like I needed air while driving this morning. I had little striking pain on left side of head past my temples, it was cold so I kept the car window cracked. During the day at work I felt weird and out of sorts. I felt irritable. Now tonight I have the striking pain again which won’t go away. Maybe it’s my sinus but I don’t care, I’m not taking this medication again. Heck no! Not a second time."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2017