User Reviews for Propranolol

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Propranolol Rating Summary

9.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Performance Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat Performance Anxiety

"I was terrified when it was my turn to speak for a few minutes in my AA meetings, heart pounding, my social anxiety there for all to see. Instead of listening to the share of the others, I was consumed with anxiety and was not even able to get more than 2 sentences out when its my turn to share. Taking the Propanol relaxes me and I am doing much better sharing--it gets rid of the dreaded fight or flight feelings. I'm working on my self-esteem and the Propanolol removes the anxiety and I'm able to share with more confidence. I take 40 mg. about 2 hours before the meeting and another 40 mg right before the meeting, Next meeting I'm going to take 40mg 2 hours before only. Sharing in meetings is an important part of my sobriety and Propanol olmakes sharing easier for me--so grateful I have it!"

Celine (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2018

"I only take this before a presentation or a stressful meeting and it seemed to work a few times but..... I had a presentation to do and I felt pretty good about it because I had my "magic pills"! :( Well I took one (20mg) 4 hours prior cuz I was nervous, then 1 more 90 min before and then 2 more 60 prior. (note: I thought I'd be leading off the presentations but I didn't present until 45 minutes after it started). Well, I totally could hardly talk, felt totally flushed, couldn't look anyone in the eye and felt like I didn't take any pills at all!! Is this because too much time had elapsed for it to be effective? I want to take MORE next time! Will that help? Maybe 4 pills next time right before (15 min prior)?"

justwannabnorm (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2018

Inderal (propranolol): "I've suffered with workplace performance anxiety (specifically blushing) for as long as I remember, talking in front of big groups, interviewing etc. So I started taking Inderal adhoc with great success, no blushing! On Monday I had an interview at 11am so I took 1 at 8:30, 1 at 9:30 and 1 at 10:30. At 1pm I started to get stomach ache and by 2pm I went bent over in agony. I curled up on the sofa waiting for it to subside but the pain was excruciating. At 5pm I called a health line who advised I went to A&E. My breaths were getting shorter, I started to feel nauseous and my stomach felt like I'd been stabbed. I threw up numerous times in the waiting room, they gave me anti-nausea drugs and an IV drip. I started to feel 'normal' again and was sent home. 3 days later and I am still suffering from slight stomach pain, like an uncomfortable bloated pain. I feel too scared to take them again and I'm so sad because they did seem like a miracle drug for the first few months!"

Davs September 5, 2018

" I have had performance anxiety for as long as I can remember. So bad I have done anything to put off doing presentations. It’s really affected my life. My heart pounds, I go red and shake and it’s just awful. I have been seeing a hypnotist for help. I had a presentation coming up and my anxiety was through the roof. I found reviews for these tablets and got them from an online pharmacy. Well these are a game changer. I only took 10mg. Did presentation and was fine. Ok you still get the nerves but no physical symptoms so therefore increased my confidence. If you suffer in the same way please try them. You only have to take them as and when which is great. Feel like I have my life back and it feels amazing x"

Shaker (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2018

"I’ve been working in the corporate world for 10 years and as I have climbed the ladder, I’ve had to present more frequently. Unfortunately, I ha(d)ve a debilitating fear of public speaking. My heart would begin to race prior to my turn, which turned into my inability to speak when it came time to the actual presentation. I could hear my heart in my ears, my throat would close up. It was so embarrassing. I read about propranolol here and asked my Dr. about it who prescribed it without an issue. I was due to give a presentation and of course I was extremely nervous not knowing if the medicine would work. I took 20 mg 2 hours prior to the presentation (150 lb. female). It worked like a charm! I still had butterflies in my stomach, but I did not have ANY of the anxiety effects mentioned above. Since then I’ve had to lead multiple conference calls and present several times and each time it works. I highly recommend!!"

Grateful1 July 30, 2018

"At the end of 2017, I began to suffer from regular panic attacks. These would become worse and more regular if I knew that I had a presentation at work or at university that I would have to perform. Please, if you are suffering from anxiety, and panic attacks, this drug will help you. The nervousness will be present, but once you get up there and begin to speak, you will be focused, and your anxiety will be (most notably) CONTROLLED. It's changed the way I view presentations and I wanted to write this so that anyone out there that suffers panic attacks as much as I have, there is hope."

ddocs (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2018

"Definitely recommend trying this. I’m a small female and took 20mg. I found that taking it more than 2 hours before my presentation was ideal, that way it helped me stay calmer during the wait for my turn to go up on stage. It’s true that this doesn’t effect the feeling of dread before your event, but when you get on stage, can look at 75 of your colleagues and your heart isn’t about to explode, you’ll be amazed! You’ll hold that mic with no tremors, your muscles won’t tense up. As far as side effects, I’m pretty sure this pill makes me sweat more/feel hot which is so weird (felt this way even when testing in a nonstressful environment). It also took a few tests to get comfortable with the small amount of drowsiness / sluggishness. Chances are you won’t feel drowsy or sluggish during your presentation because you’ll be amped up!"

Sunny July 23, 2018

"This is the BEST drug for job interviews! No heart palpitations, blushing, or fight and flight thoughts. I took a 30mg dose 1.5 hours before the interview and I felt great! No issues whatsoever. This drug has helped me immensely!"

Rookie (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2018

"I used to be a very confident speaker in college but I always felt awkward in social situations. As I progressed professionally I had to do more of public speaking generally on a round table with some 20 odd people. I once messed up very badly about couple of years ago. Since then I developed fear for public speaking with humiliation and embarrassment several times post that. I thought of leaving my job. I visited a doctor couple of months back for anxiety and he prescribed me Propranolol. So far it has worked really well and in spite of being nervous I am able to speak properly without my voice cracking or heart racing. I am deeply indebted to this drug and it has perhaps given me my life back."

Gametheorist (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2018

"I take 20 mg an hour before public speaking it works wonders. Previously I have just used Cocaine however Propranonol works out cheaper overall and I don't feel an overwhelming urge to celebrate with alcohol and obnoxious behaviour afterwards - which was the side effect of cocaine"

Johno (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 25, 2018

"I've had a debilitating fear of public speaking my whole life and it has affected my career. I resigned from two jobs because I feared having to present. Every time I've had to present, it's been a nightmare and so humiliating to the point where I've had terrible panic attacks. What started as a fear of presenting has evolved into anxiety from conference calls, leaving voicemails, meetings with 2 or 3 people, interviews etc. I'm female weighing 51kg and was prescribed 40mg. I took it 1hr before an interview and it was too strong for me. I felt like I had been tranquilised (very slow and spaced out). I had to really make an effort to concentrate. It worked though! I was still nervous but the physical symptoms were gone which made me feel calm. Whilst this drug is life changing, it's not w/out side effects. I've had headaches, dry mouth, lack of concentration, insomnia & shallow breathing. These side effects aren't enough to keep me from using it though. It really is a miracle drug!"

NC June 22, 2018

"FREEDOM!! That’s what this gave me. I have done some solos in church and my heart would race, my voice and hands trembled. I love singing and hated that I could not share that with the congregation especially when all eyes are on me I started propranolol after speaking with my therapist. Not only did it take the tremors and fear away it gave me confidence and I was able to not only sing but song with power when I needed to. I feel released from the prison of performance anxiety. Released from feeling so down and disappointment in myself from not being able to sing. What a feeling to stand up in front of people and not start sweating and not worrying about what anyone else thinks."

Songbird June 20, 2018

"I have generally had pretty good success presenting in meetings. However, when it comes to presenting in front of a larger crowd, I have always struggled with stage fright - heart beats fast, shaky voice, talk very fast and my brain feels clouded. Recently, I had to present in front of a large crowd and had a bad episode. Since then, I have had a general anxiety whenever I have had to talk even in smaller meetings which never happened before. My doctor prescribed me propranolol, 20 mg 1 hour before the event. I tried it last week when I had to give a speech in front of a large audience. I was nervous throughout the week up until I held the mic and started talking. When I started talking, I did not have any of the symptoms. I was able to deliver my speech well. It worked like magic! For this specific event, I had 20 mg 2 hours prior to the event and another 20 mg 1 hour prior. Since then I have been having only 20 mg 1 hour prior to any stressful meeting and it still works."

dfm June 20, 2018

"For stage fright, this drug works. Like most on here, I've been terrified of public speaking ever since a bad episode in college, panic attacks, sweaty palms, voice disappears. I take 10mg the morning of a presentation to keep my body calm early in the day. Then I take 30mg an hour before, and maybe a final 10mg twenty minutes before. I've gone from struggling through a presentation in front of 5 or 6 people, to presenting in front of 500+ people. You'll still be mentally nervous, maybe even sweat a little, but when the time comes you'll be steady and your voice will be there. Trust me. Just get the dosage right (can't take too much, but you can take too little). Only side effect is drowsiness for me."

GoBucks (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 18, 2018

"OM goodness people. This is a miracle pill. I generally get really nervous when I have to give a speech, I get lost in my own words, I forget what I had to say, my voice breaks, I basically forgot how to talk. But today I took three 10 mg pills 90 minutes before my speech and 1 more 60 minutes before. It initially made me pretty sleepy but that was gone in half an hour. And the speech guys. That was just EASY, smooth, better than rehearsal. I actually enjoyed it. Felt like there was no one in the room and I was talking to myself. So pleased. I have 3 more to go through and now I know what to do. I swear I’m not an ad for propranolol. I took anaprilin which is propranolol in my country. So happy."

Ana (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2018

"After years of preaching every Sunday in a large church of 1000-plus, I suddenly developed extreme anxiety and stage fright. One Sunday I had to stop because my heart was pounding so hard, I couldn't catch my breath, and I broke into a sweat. Talk about flight or fight, I had this unbelievable urge to run away. Tried meditation, deep breathing, taking Benadryl, Ashwagandha and Phinebut. Nothing worked that well until I tried propranolol. It's brought me back to my old self and eliminated the anxiety. I take 40mg about an hour before the first worship service, then another 20mg before the second worship service. Just fantastic. Allows me to continue pursuing my calling and I am very thankful."

Preacher (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2018

"Performance anxiety strikes me and knowing how my hands get shaky when I have to play piano, I had to ask my Doctor to prescribe me something so my heart isn't beating as fast and my hands aren't shaking in front of so many people. Just for this event I got 20mg of propranolol and it worked! All it did is keep my hands steady and without altering my focus I played my piece without having to worry. I guess for once or twice a year it's worth getting propranolol if one gets stage anxiety"

Maria (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2018

"Discovering this drug has been a career saver. Like others, I promised I would contribute a review to help others if the drug worked. I’ve always suffered bad fight or flight symptoms (racing heart, shortness of breath) when public speaking. Unsure when or why this kicked in, but likely due to stress and a higher profile role at work. Been using propranolol situationally (once a month) for a year which was effective for smaller talks. Today used it for a large presentation (audience of 100+) and just as effective. Worked myself up into an anxiety frenzy weeks as wasn’t sure it would work for such a big event, but it came through and did the trick. Get the dosage right. Experiment with dosage that works for you, then relax knowing it’s got you covered. It’s great there’s a way to manage the crippling fear of public speaking and get on with life."

Prop works June 9, 2018

"I'm a 53kg female so quite small. I'm in a leadership role and have struggled with presenting most of my career despite having to do this frequently. I have struggled through major fight and flight symptoms with voice shaking, heart racing so fast its like running a marathon, fast high voice and cognitively clouded not being about to think properly. Propanolol has been a game changer for me. I take 10mg 90 minutes before and it completely removes the fight or flight response. I am yet to try 20mg but plan to try before the next big presentation to see if this makes a difference."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2018

"In my past, there were incredibly embarrassing moments in both my educational experience and professional career where I've stood in front of large groups, trembling, voice shaking, red in the face, just completely out of control in a panic while trying to give a speech or presentation and feeling completely embarrassed and mortified after. I'm writing this today after presenting in front of 100 people successfully today, confidently without issues. I've been taking propranolol for 5 years now and it has never failed me. I typically take 20mg a couple hours before and 10-20mg an hour before. It makes the panic non-existent. No more fight or flight. I just think clearly the entire time in front of the group I'm speaking to and am able to relay my message. Note, the feeling of being afraid can still be there leading up to speaking, but the negative reaction that causes the embarrassing physical effects never manifests."

Working Professional May 25, 2018

"I have dealt with crippling anxiety for about 10 years. I thought it would eventually subside as I gained more experience in public speaking... wrong. My irrational fear of public speaking has held me back both academically and professionally. I tried Klonopin and it helped but it was still very difficult. I found this website and thought with such high ratings propranolol must work. I asked my doctor and he prescribed 10 mg tablets that I take about an hour before my event. I can assure you, it has changed my life. If you suffer from severe performance anxiety ask your doctor about propranolol. I wish I could have found it long ago, sometimes just having it on hand is peace of mind."

waggyP May 18, 2018

"Hi guys, propranolol has quite literally changed my life and I am so happy that I have found it. I felt a need to spread the word to those who could benefit and I urge anyone who feels they might be being held back by their "performance anxiety" to talk to their GP about this drug. It really does work, and its amazing. Good luck guys"

Tim (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2018

"Ive always had social anxiety to the point that it not only effects me in group meeting settings but even talking on a conference call or sometimes one on one at work. Propranolol has save my life and career. My new job requires me to speak to groups of people and without it, I would be a walking panic attack. With a 10mg dose I can go through my day without the panic setting in. If I need to do a presentation I will take 20mg and it has not failed me. I will say initially, it made me super drowsy and gave me headaches and just drained me. Once I started taking it consistently, after about 2-3 weeks, those side effects were gone. So if you are dealing with those effects, try it consistently and see if they dimenish. I’ll always deal with anxiety and panic disorder but this drug keeps the physical symptoms at bay and allows me to proceed with my life. And for that, I am so so grateful."

social anxiety + panic attacks (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 14, 2018

"I took this after reading everyone’s reviews and after being terrified about speaking onstage to an audience of about 150 people. I was absolutely dreading the event. My biggest fear was a shaking voice and hands holding a microphone, loss of thoughts. That I would be remembered as the bumbling nervous failure. I found this forum and asked my doctor. I took 10mg 90 minutes before and then the 20mg an hour before. I had no clue it would work but when it was my turn to get on stage to speak it was magical. No heart pounding, no shaking, no loss of words. My thoughts flowed. Now I was totally prepared and practiced and that is the anchor to where I knew what I was saying, but the meds took care of the rest. Brilliant way to finally feel confident in front of a large group and receive so many compliments. Don’t avoid it, don’t let fight or flight take over your life. Get this and face it and your life will change!"

LAfilmnotlive (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2018

"I am really happy to see that this is familiar with many people who are really successful in their life. I used to have nightmares whenever I have a presentation the next day and after I moved to international company one of my main duties is to present to tens and hundreds and at this moment I felt the challenge I was facing. I tried many tactics but all failed and I felt awful until I found inderal 40mg. I used to take 2 pills one in the morning and one before 2 hours my presentation and believe me everything changed dramatically. I was able to present fluently with full confidence. Yes I still face sometimes a dry mouth and it is fine to take sip of water and continue or use biotene to fight dry mouth. But things are better...I still wonder why these symptoms are coming even though I have the confidence and the capabilities. I wonder what others are doing...maybe they are also using this medication?"

Rawad (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2018