User Reviews for Propranolol to treat Performance Anxiety

Also known as: Inderal LA, Hemangeol, Inderal XL InnoPran XL

Propranolol has an average rating of 9.6 out of 10 from a total of 419 ratings for the treatment of Performance Anxiety. 97% of those users who reviewed Propranolol reported a positive effect, while 0% reported a negative effect.

Propranolol Rating Summary

9.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 1 medications used in the treatment of Performance Anxiety.

78% 328
0% 2
0% 0

Reviews for Propranolol

Peter February 25, 2021

“I suffer from social anxiety disorder and this drug works wonders for me. It calms me down and I’m able to function without the red embarrassed face. It doesn’t make me drowsy or slur my words. It’s a wonder drug for me...”

Marketing Student · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 23, 2021

“I’m generally a very confident person, I do well in groups and nobody would guess that I suffer from performance anxiety. I actually like talking! I think I’m good at it. However, for some unknown reason when I stand in front of an audience to speak, I turn to absolute jelly. The standard symptoms, heart palpitations, sweating, shaky voice etc. What’s crazy is I won’t be remotely nervous before and I hope the symptoms won’t kick in, but every time they do! I’ve been taking this drug for about a year now and it’s amazing. I just take a few pills half an hour before and I have basically no symptoms! I feel sorry for anyone suffering who isn’t aware of this treatment.”

Mail1989 January 20, 2021

“Same as most comments, crippling public speaking anxiety to point that introducing myself for 10 seconds to a few strangers in a room would induce utter fear. Hands shaking uncontrollably, mouth so dry, tunnel vision, racing heart, nausea. Upon recently taking a job in HR I have been getting more involved in presentations and group training sessions .. the thought filled me with dread. I’ve made a fool out of myself before so I thought oh no it’s going to happen again! I researched anything that might help and found this page. Got prescribed propranolol 10mg tabs to take 3 times during a day I may suffer public speaking anxiety. Done my first presentation yesterday, it was like 5 mins then answering questions but after taking propranolol I noticed a big difference. No dry mouth or shakey hands, still nervous inside but felt calm speaking like I was in control somewhat. Think next time I’ll up dose to 20mg 2 hrs before and 20mg 45 mins before instead of 30mg. Wish I knew about it sooner”

dburke3 March 2, 2020

“So I have a huge fear of public speaking. In any setting. I have avoided these completely until recently. It was in the form of adrenaline rush, fast heart rate, tunnel vision, shaky voice.. pure panic. I've been trying to get more comfortable in these situations, so I joined Toastmasters for public speaking improvement (Highly recommend). But, I still needed that extra bit of confidence so my dr prescribed Propranolol (10mg) to be taken before the event. I had my first ever speech to give at toastmasters, which was really worrying me, so I took a 10mg first thing in the morning to help with the nerves that build during the day, then 10mg 90mins before, then 10mg 20mins before the speech (at 7:20PM). I actually really enjoyed the speech, absolutely no fear or symptoms and I got to work on being a better public speaker, rather than focusing on not dying and failing. I've read people taking doses up to 160mg, for me that was too much to play with.”

Nulife · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2020

“It works wonder.... A true life saver”

JDCDC February 17, 2020

“This drug is a miracle drug for those experiencing intense PHYSICAL signs of anxiety. Wish I had known about this med earlier!!!!! Leaves the sweating, tremors, and heart-racing/tachycardia to a bare minimum. I can think more clearly, because those physical side-effects are no longer in my way... I used to wake up several times per night with my heart racing. And, If I was in an anxiety-provoking situation, my hands would shake, to the point that it was noticeable for others to see, and that caused even more anxiety and trembling. With this drug, I feel more normalized, and can keep these symptoms from overtaking my life. I only take this med, when necessary, as it does cause symptoms of acid reflux, which can be very uncomfortable.”

husq February 14, 2020

“For some reason or another I have a deathly fear of public speaking and presentations. Such a fear that I would do anything to get out of speaking in front of classmates. On the first day of this semester the professor announced that each person were to stand up one by one and tell the class about themselves. I walked out of the classroom and emailed the professor that I forgot my laptop somewhere and went to go find it before it was stolen (total lie). While presenting my heart pounds, I lose my breath, my voice quivers etc. It is beyond embarrassing and I stress days before I know I'm going to present. I finally went to my doctor after reading the reviews on this website and was prescribed propranolol. I took it today and felt so great during my talk in a 200 person lecture hall. This medicine keeps your body so calm the entire time. Your heart doesn't pound, you breathe normally, your voice doesn't shake. It's such a relief and Im so happy I found out about it.”

No nickname February 3, 2020

“40 odd years of blushing and a fear of blushing - gone. I’ve read countless self help books, meditated, was on Zoloft for years, changed my diet seen a psychologist et cetera. Didn’t work. Beta Blockers work, I feel like I am myself. A couple of days of an upset stomach was the only side effect but it’s now gone. Thank you Science.”

Backtomyself · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2020

“Finding this thread and getting a script for Propranolol has literally given me back my confidence when presenting and saved my career! I never had an issue public speaking, until a bad episode 3 years ago crippled my confidence. Since then, I've been promoted to a very senior level in a tech organization and regular speaking is required. I would dread having to give a talk for weeks in advance—feel sick at the idea and wonder if those symptoms would present themselves again. I have used it 3 times in the last month for 3 big presentations and I nailed every single one! I'm even happier around the office because now I can just focus on my material and know I can relax when I get up to speak. I wasted 3 years on therapy and all sorts, when this was a last shot at the dice, I'm so grateful for how it has helped me.”

progress · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2020

“This drug gives people HOPE! I've had a paralysing fear of public speaking ever since a panic attack when reading a passage in school as a 15 yr old. That was 15 years ago and in between my professional growth has been severely stunted due to this fear. I began drinking and over indulged due to my introvert nature, I avoided any modules which required an oral presentation or simply forewent the marks and didn't show up. I enrolled in a postgrad only to drop out within weeks when I realised the amount of presentations required. I recently got a promotion which requires quite a lot of public speaking and some training, I tried propranonol and although you still feel nervous, the heart palpitations are removed and you can get through it. To date, I've engaged in public speaking in work and at toastmasters using the drug. I still get worked up before hand tho - it just doesn't show!”

PPP · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 5, 2020

“Although it has by no means cured my problems, since I have started taking it I am a lot more relaxed in social situations and do not constantly feel overwhelmed by anxious thoughts. However, it is not a cure and it doesn't stop me thinking certain things but interestingly it has helped me put some of my worries into perspective and I can easily do tasks which previously I would have pondered over in my head. I have also been using it for job interviews and I don't stumble over my words as much as I used to and I can think a lot more clearly. But again, this is not a cure and if you are taking this for anxiety, go see a psychiatrist (which I have yet to do).”

Sarah December 21, 2019

“I’ve been having shaking episodes in social situations for the past 5 months. Tried to manage it myself, but so unable to do so, so eventually went to doctor who diagnosed social anxiety and prescribed propranolol 40mg four times a day. I haven’t had any more shaking episodes, feel a bit breathless and weak, but definitely more relaxed, I think I have this drug to thank. I don’t take 4 a day, just as and when I need to, before a social event”

It works · Taken for less than 1 month December 11, 2019

“I've always had difficulties when having to speak in public. A lot of people tell you that it goes away with time and experience, but in my case it only got worse. It came to the point where it was almost impossible for me to do a presentation. After researching through the internet I found out about Propranolol and got my doctor to prescribe it for me. It really helps tremendously with public speaking anxiety, thanks to this drug I was able to give the first presentation in my life in which I actually felt comfortable and in control of the situation. Definitely recommended for anyone with these kind of issues. Only bad thing is that you will still feel nervous inside. It won't show in your body though.”

Kezley · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 7, 2019

“My anxiety of any kind of public speaking became so bad that I’d physically be unable to speak. I’d develop a lump in my throat and wouldn’t be able to get a single word out. It started to take over my life. Then I went back to college as a mature student and had to do a presentation. I was a nervous wreck and went to see my doctor. She prescribed propranolol and what a game changer! I can’t explain how it works but somehow it just does. All the physical symptoms just disappear without you even realising it. I nailed that presentation and have done many more since then. One thing I will add though is that I have to take quite a lot for it to work, usually at least three 40mg tablets one or two tablets an hour before and another two half an hour before. I don’t know how safe that is to be honest but as I only have to take them very occasionally I figure it’s ok!”

Py · Taken for less than 1 month November 27, 2019

“I was prescribed 20 mg propranolol for performance anxiety. I took 80 mg and still had some physical symptoms while I was performing. My voice was the worst part. I can say it helped but you need to take a lot to get a little bit of effect.”

Alfi November 22, 2019

“This propranolol medicine is good. I am a musician a singer. I don't have much problem when performing at stage for a song or playing my music instrument but if I have to make a presentation at work I will be terrified and will think about it for days because bad experience of panic attacks and extreme anxiety, palpitation, dizziness etc. Make sure you know the right dosage for you and don't take it with other hypertension med cause it will lower your blood pressure. I took 20mg 1.5 hrs before my presentation another 20mg 1 hour before and 10mg 15 minutes before ..it didn't really calm me down, I still felt bit of anxiety during my presentation but I scared to to take more because of the after effect of lower pulse, bp , dizziness tiredness and little wheezing throughout the day which I experienced before”

Suzy · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 21, 2019

“propranolol helps relax me and allows me to focus on the subject matter I am presenting rather than my anxiety.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 15, 2019

“This is medicine is a miracle ! Taught man that which he knew not”

nicky2shoes November 1, 2019

“I have an intense fear of public speaking. I get such a bad adrenaline rush my voice shakes and I feel like I'm going to pass out. Then propranolol came up with my doctor. Now, when I know I'll be public speaking, I take 30 mg anywhere from 30 mins to an hour before and my symptoms are gone. No signs of my terror, I am cool and confidence. Also, I was reading a really interesting article where propranolol can actually help you eradicate anxiety. Essentially my brain used to associate public speaking with adrenaline rushes and embarrassment. Now my brain doesn't have to fear it and I've spoke publicly with propranolol quite a few times. Now I don't need it nearly as much. It used to be that I couldn't even speak up in a small meeting. Now I'm able to do that with ease even without propranolol, because my body isn't conditioned to have that adrenaline rush and I'm more confident. I hope to continue to speak publicly with propranolol and hopefully come to a day I don't need it anymore.”

Second Bass Choir · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2019

“I sing in a choir and when we have concerts (or at my brother’s wedding) I used to have terrible stage fright to the point that I thought I would pass out and would be carted out in disgrace. And of coarse, given the volley of terrible signals my body was sending me, my mind would not function well enough to avoid mistakes. Symptoms were: Tunnel vision, heart beating incredibly fast, feeling faint and unsteady on my feet, lack of clarity in thinking. Last night I had a concert where I took 40 mg 20 min before my show and boy what a difference! While I think I will take a little more and start an 30 min earlier for tonight’s show, I already know I will be all right. If you are experiencing the terror I did, know that this will help you beat it into submission. It works. Take it you might even enjoy your performance eh?”

Shane · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 18, 2019

“Well, I tried to write a review about this drug and ended up writing 2100 characters when the max is 1000 so it all got deleted LOL. Long story short, I could not shut up about this drug because it is an absolute life-saver. Senior in college and had to drop countless number of classes because I couldn't so much as introduce myself to the class. Fast forward to yesterday, I just did my first presentation using propranolol and WOW. 40 mg an hour before and and cured physical symptoms of the stress and anxiety of public speaking - no sweating, no shaking, no nothing. Just a whole lot of confidence. Got to keep this short but remember YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Plenty of people are going through this anxiety too. THIS DRUG is A LIFE-SAVER!!”

AnxiousEngineer · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 15, 2019

“I would get physically sick (high heart rate and could barely speak) with stage fright before I got this script. After I got prescribed propranolol, my physical symptoms went away. The reason for the 9/10 instead of 10/10, the correct dosage is very hard to get correct along with it doesn't help the mental symptoms at all.”

Josh · Taken for less than 1 month October 5, 2019

“The reviews are spot on. I take 40 mg an hour prior to speaking and it makes a huge difference. As one of the other reviewers noted, your body won’t fail you. Performance anxiety can be good in that it (hopefully) motivates you to prepare. However, I have had several experiences in adulthood when my voice quivered and hands shook from the flight or fight response/adrenaline. This medication totally neutralizes the physical effects —. You may feel nervous inside but it won’t show. This has been a tremendous help when I have had to present to large audiences with my work. I wish I knew about this decades ago.”

swizzy · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 1, 2019

“I am a senior in college and have struggled with public speaking my entire life - from extreme panic the moment I hear about a presentation, to extreme body shaking, heart palpitations, shaky voice and hands, and any other physiological fight or flight response you could imagine during a presentation. My heart races and my face turns red even when a professor calls on me in class, and I recently got prescribed propranolol to help with public speaking anxiety...and let me just say...this medication is a MAGICAL pill. I never ever thought I would overcome my public speaking fear, but the first time I took 20 mg a few hours before a chemistry presentation, I spoke confidently and had absolutely no anxiety or body shaking before, during, or after. I wish I discovered this medicine way earlier because I highly highly recommend it if you have any sort of speaking anxiety!!!!”

M September 29, 2019

“I took propranolol for 2 years before any presentations and it saved my life! I suffered terribly before with all the physical symptoms possible. HOWEVER the last month has been horrific - I took 20mg Propranolol and felt chest pain, had difficulty breathing and kept having strong waves of nausea and lightheadedness - I reduced the dose down to the tiniest bit of tablet couldn’t have been more than 5mg (did this a few times) and the symptoms were still there. What do I do now? I must stop Propranolol completely - I just don’t understand how I went from being able to tolerate 40mg or 20 mg with little to no side effects to taking a few mgs and having every side effect possible. (It’s really been the worst 3 weeks of my life) I’ve lost quite a lot of weight recently and now I’m quite slim - would that affect the metabolism of the drug or something? Does anyone have any alternative drug suggestions? I definitely need something!!!”