User Reviews for Propranolol to treat Performance Anxiety

Also known as: Inderal LA, Hemangeol, Inderal XL InnoPran XL

Propranolol has an average rating of 9.6 out of 10 from a total of 422 ratings for the treatment of Performance Anxiety. 97% of those users who reviewed Propranolol reported a positive effect, while 0% reported a negative effect.

Propranolol Rating Summary

9.6/10 average rating

Compare all 1 medications used in the treatment of Performance Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 28, 2021

“For those of you like me who suffer severe performance/social anxiety, including rapid heartbeat, shaking, struggling to speak etc... this drug is a perfect fix. It stops your body from being overrun with adrenaline which enables you to come across calm and composed. It's so effective. Good luck to all those who suffer with this condition as it can really impact ones life.”

BestCureEver · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 15, 2021

“Ever since a bad nervous, shaking, breakdown ad hoc impromptu talk in my 9th grade speech class activated by my teacher in high school at age 15, I've been petrified of public speaking. I dropped classes in high school and college where there was a presentation required. I limited my career advancement where presentations would be required. Over the years I advanced anyway and would be required to manage and speak in front of large groups. I still had the same dread and potential bad side effects. I finally researched and found this drug at 53 years old. I'm now 55 years old and a senior manager. I needed this 40 years ago. Tell your doctor it's for performance anxiety; apparently used by many musicians and artists over the years. I wish it was more well known back in the day. For those doing presentations. 20mg 1.5 hour before, 20mg 1 hour before, 20mg 30 minutes before. All will be good!”

unistudent March 9, 2021

“Even raising my hand in class was something that I feared so much, let alone presentations in front of other people. I tried so many ways to reduce the feeling of flight or flight every time that I'd have to speak but let me tell you, taking a few deep breaths before presenting did absolutely nothing for me. But THIS MEDICATION is like a gift from God. It got rid of my shaky hands, shaky voice, fast heart rate, I could think clearly and although you can still get a little nervous in your head none of the symptoms show and speaking goes so smoothly! It makes me want to sign up for every presentation ever...seriously. SO glad I found out about it :)”

dtt November 14, 2014

“Used it today for a work presentation and it worked. At some point later in the day I had to hold back the tears thinking about how my life would have been different had I known about this medicine. I'm 42 years old and wish I knew about this 20 years ago.”

nicky2shoes November 1, 2019

“I have an intense fear of public speaking. I get such a bad adrenaline rush my voice shakes and I feel like I'm going to pass out. Then propranolol came up with my doctor. Now, when I know I'll be public speaking, I take 30 mg anywhere from 30 mins to an hour before and my symptoms are gone. No signs of my terror, I am cool and confidence. Also, I was reading a really interesting article where propranolol can actually help you eradicate anxiety. Essentially my brain used to associate public speaking with adrenaline rushes and embarrassment. Now my brain doesn't have to fear it and I've spoke publicly with propranolol quite a few times. Now I don't need it nearly as much. It used to be that I couldn't even speak up in a small meeting. Now I'm able to do that with ease even without propranolol, because my body isn't conditioned to have that adrenaline rush and I'm more confident. I hope to continue to speak publicly with propranolol and hopefully come to a day I don't need it anymore.”

Shane · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 18, 2019

“Well, I tried to write a review about this drug and ended up writing 2100 characters when the max is 1000 so it all got deleted LOL. Long story short, I could not shut up about this drug because it is an absolute life-saver. Senior in college and had to drop countless number of classes because I couldn't so much as introduce myself to the class. Fast forward to yesterday, I just did my first presentation using propranolol and WOW. 40 mg an hour before and and cured physical symptoms of the stress and anxiety of public speaking - no sweating, no shaking, no nothing. Just a whole lot of confidence. Got to keep this short but remember YOU ARE NOT ALONE. Plenty of people are going through this anxiety too. THIS DRUG is A LIFE-SAVER!!”

husq February 14, 2020

“For some reason or another I have a deathly fear of public speaking and presentations. Such a fear that I would do anything to get out of speaking in front of classmates. On the first day of this semester the professor announced that each person were to stand up one by one and tell the class about themselves. I walked out of the classroom and emailed the professor that I forgot my laptop somewhere and went to go find it before it was stolen (total lie). While presenting my heart pounds, I lose my breath, my voice quivers etc. It is beyond embarrassing and I stress days before I know I'm going to present. I finally went to my doctor after reading the reviews on this website and was prescribed propranolol. I took it today and felt so great during my talk in a 200 person lecture hall. This medicine keeps your body so calm the entire time. Your heart doesn't pound, you breathe normally, your voice doesn't shake. It's such a relief and Im so happy I found out about it.”

Game Changer · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 29, 2014

“Propranolol launched my career! I suffered from severe fight or flight syndrome during presentations, interviews, meetings and even phone calls. Symptoms included rapid heart beat, shortness of breath, sweating, weak voice, etc. I started taking these almost a year ago and have since been promoted to a director position, I present to our entire organization and lead meetings with our executive team - symptom free! I use 10 mg for meetings and up to 40 mg for presentations and interviews. I have also used 10 mg before a golf tournament and the 1st tee box jitters were completely gone.. The rest of my game still sucked but it felt good not to dribble the first one off the tee!”

dburke3 March 2, 2020

“So I have a huge fear of public speaking. In any setting. I have avoided these completely until recently. It was in the form of adrenaline rush, fast heart rate, tunnel vision, shaky voice.. pure panic. I've been trying to get more comfortable in these situations, so I joined Toastmasters for public speaking improvement (Highly recommend). But, I still needed that extra bit of confidence so my dr prescribed Propranolol (10mg) to be taken before the event. I had my first ever speech to give at toastmasters, which was really worrying me, so I took a 10mg first thing in the morning to help with the nerves that build during the day, then 10mg 90mins before, then 10mg 20mins before the speech (at 7:20PM). I actually really enjoyed the speech, absolutely no fear or symptoms and I got to work on being a better public speaker, rather than focusing on not dying and failing. I've read people taking doses up to 160mg, for me that was too much to play with.”

No nickname February 3, 2020

“40 odd years of blushing and a fear of blushing - gone. I’ve read countless self help books, meditated, was on Zoloft for years, changed my diet seen a psychologist et cetera. Didn’t work. Beta Blockers work, I feel like I am myself. A couple of days of an upset stomach was the only side effect but it’s now gone. Thank you Science.”

Peter February 25, 2021

“I suffer from social anxiety disorder and this drug works wonders for me. It calms me down and I’m able to function without the red embarrassed face. It doesn’t make me drowsy or slur my words. It’s a wonder drug for me...”

Backtomyself · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2020

“Finding this thread and getting a script for Propranolol has literally given me back my confidence when presenting and saved my career! I never had an issue public speaking, until a bad episode 3 years ago crippled my confidence. Since then, I've been promoted to a very senior level in a tech organization and regular speaking is required. I would dread having to give a talk for weeks in advance—feel sick at the idea and wonder if those symptoms would present themselves again. I have used it 3 times in the last month for 3 big presentations and I nailed every single one! I'm even happier around the office because now I can just focus on my material and know I can relax when I get up to speak. I wasted 3 years on therapy and all sorts, when this was a last shot at the dice, I'm so grateful for how it has helped me.”

Anonymous August 25, 2011

“I am actually a physician (weird I know), and always had a problem with anxiety. At one point, it was truly affecting my life. I could cope and work, but like many of us, constantly had the fear of "panicking" or "losing control." It started to affect my work, so I actually became a patient and asked my doctor for some help. I've never had trouble dealing with the stress mentally, but the physical symptoms just drove me crazy and made the anxiety worse. I'd get shaky, warm, uncomfortable, etc., etc. On THE FIRST DAY I took 10mg, my life changed. Every single negative body symptom I experienced was gone. My confidence came back and honestly, I'm a better physician because of it. Simply amazing.”

Zx November 2, 2014

“Was very anxious and became depressed after my father was diagnosed terminally ill. I started a new job which didn't help with the stress. Was having often panic attacks. Now I feel amazing. I now have my life back. Without this I think I would of had to be hospitalised. Thank goodness. Life is good again.”

SaraLynn1024 · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 29, 2014

“I started getting panic attacks when I was 12. Every time I had to present something to my class it felt like I was having a heart attack and my hands and voice would shake uncontrollably. I couldn't get through the presentations most of the time and the kids would make fun of me. It was dreadful. Finally, when I was 14 I saw the doctor that prescribed this. It was a life changer. There was a speech I had to give as an 8th grade project and while I was up at the podium I could actually organize all my thoughts. No shaking. No heart palpitations. No sweaty hands. I could have stayed up there for hours! I even remember thinking, this stuff really works!" I'm 23 now and started taking it for work-related situations.”

Ned249 December 26, 2015

“Miracle medicine. I'm a surgeon and started taking it during residency for the equivalent of stage fright doing surgery. Over 20 years there is no question of its efficacy (and safety). It has allowed me to do mission trips and complicated procedures under the most stressful situations. I use it less over the years but still do because it still has a very strong calming effect without sedating or clouding the sensorium. It's as close to a miracle medicine as I have every seen.”

md101 April 28, 2015

“Used inderal recently for a best man speech as I suffer terribly with anxiety and panic attacks. Words cannot describe how well this worked for me. I was still mentally nervous, but physically I was in complete control with no stutter, breathing problems/heart palpitations. I actually enjoyed it and I could have spoken all night. I never review anything online but just felt I wanted to share my experience as I know how horrible performance anxiety can be.”

keross March 28, 2014

“I used to be a singer but had to quit because of worsening panic attacks (including twitching face muscles - the shame). I hated myself for quitting but saw no other choice. I was working as an EFL teacher and eventually had to quit that too because facing a class suddenly became overwhelming. Staff meetings were impossible, presentations at training sessions were out of the question, until even talking to my small class made me want to run far far away. So I became a freelance copywriter so I could stay at home and not face anyone. I was alone for about 6 years. About 6 months ago somebody told me about propanolol. My new job starts Monday. Thank you, thank you thank you, modern medicine, from me and my family, for giving me my life back”

Marketing Student · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 23, 2021

“I’m generally a very confident person, I do well in groups and nobody would guess that I suffer from performance anxiety. I actually like talking! I think I’m good at it. However, for some unknown reason when I stand in front of an audience to speak, I turn to absolute jelly. The standard symptoms, heart palpitations, sweating, shaky voice etc. What’s crazy is I won’t be remotely nervous before and I hope the symptoms won’t kick in, but every time they do! I’ve been taking this drug for about a year now and it’s amazing. I just take a few pills half an hour before and I have basically no symptoms! I feel sorry for anyone suffering who isn’t aware of this treatment.”

Edward812k February 6, 2014

“My entire life, I have had a fear of public speaking that is so intense I would literally shut down and stop talking in the middle of a presentation. My heart feels like it is going to jump out of my chest, my mind goes completely blank, I turn red-faced, and my body and voice begin to tremble uncontrollably. I failed college courses, changed jobs, and altered my entire life just to avoid speaking in public. It was such a difficult and embarrassing problem that filled me with so much shame. One day, a friend told me about propranolol and so I went to the Doctor. The Doc prescribed and I can now present like a professional with zero anxiety. Simply put, this medicine changed my entire life and I would recommend it to anyone with anxiety.”

med man September 13, 2019

Inderal (propranolol): “This drug is a miracle! Imagine every time you're about to present in front of people - the panic creeping in, heart racing, visible trembling almost to the point of convulsion with a lump in your throat and cracking voice. Imagine what everyone's thinking as you choke trying to spit out words on a piece of paper, who knew reading could be so difficult. Think about the embarrassment and how incompetent you feel when in reality you actually exude confidence. Why is my body attacking me? Why is it impossible to simply read off a piece of paper and not turn into a shaking wreck. This was me...and I had tried many therapies I read online before, trust me. long story short..I was cured first dose of Inderal and never looked back. I hope others find relief.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 1, 2014

“It finally dawned on me that others might suffer my same public speaking "fight or flight" response. The uncontrollable shaking uncontrollably, heart racing as my turn to speak neared, panic attacks caused me to not speak and forgo many career advancing opportunities. I over prepared, tried public speaking classes, still the shakes and heart race caused me to lose my train of thought, cut myself short and generally look like an idiot. I finally searched online and found information on propranolol and Xanax. Frankly, Xanax just made me tired. I tried propranolol immediately prior to having to speak, and WOW. I waited for the heart race and blood rush, nothing. I was shocked and was able to speak like any normal person. Miracle!”

scared speaker · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 31, 2014

“I recently was promoted but with that came public speaking. I was a mess! Sweating, shortness of breath, shaking, not being able to think straight...it was awful! My dr prescribed this and the transformation was unbelievable! ”

Anonymous August 7, 2008

“I get situational panic attacks in high stress meetings or interviews - these started a few years ago. My doctor prescribed me 10mg of Propranolol to take 10-30 minutes before meetings, speeches, etc. This calms me down, stops me worrying about the possibility to have a panic attack, and makes me a much calmer person. Having a pill on me at all times in case the situation arises has given me such confidence that I won't have an attack now that I rarely get them anymore.”

Confident speaker October 14, 2014

“I use to run off stage or start crying on stage due to extreme fear of public speaking. My voice trembled so terribly that my nickname was baa baa sheep. I suffered from this phobia for over thirty years and I took propanolol for the first time and I was a stunner during my presentation. Thank you to whoever created this medication.”

Mail1989 January 20, 2021

“Same as most comments, crippling public speaking anxiety to point that introducing myself for 10 seconds to a few strangers in a room would induce utter fear. Hands shaking uncontrollably, mouth so dry, tunnel vision, racing heart, nausea. Upon recently taking a job in HR I have been getting more involved in presentations and group training sessions .. the thought filled me with dread. I’ve made a fool out of myself before so I thought oh no it’s going to happen again! I researched anything that might help and found this page. Got prescribed propranolol 10mg tabs to take 3 times during a day I may suffer public speaking anxiety. Done my first presentation yesterday, it was like 5 mins then answering questions but after taking propranolol I noticed a big difference. No dry mouth or shakey hands, still nervous inside but felt calm speaking like I was in control somewhat. Think next time I’ll up dose to 20mg 2 hrs before and 20mg 45 mins before instead of 30mg. Wish I knew about it sooner”

Delaz May 23, 2014

“Unbelievable. Suffered for years with performance anxiety and my current job meant I had to do more and more meeting. It got to point that I was thinking I'd have to leave my job or throw myself off a bridge to escape. As a last resort I went to doctors hoping to try beta blockers - I got these thinking they might help a bit. THEY TOTALLY CURED ME. It was like a miracle - I was even cracking jokes and arriving first at meeting where as before I'd hidden in toilets. Only my 1st week, don't know what the future holds but for now I'll just celebrate the relief this has provided.”

progress · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2020

“This drug gives people HOPE! I've had a paralysing fear of public speaking ever since a panic attack when reading a passage in school as a 15 yr old. That was 15 years ago and in between my professional growth has been severely stunted due to this fear. I began drinking and over indulged due to my introvert nature, I avoided any modules which required an oral presentation or simply forewent the marks and didn't show up. I enrolled in a postgrad only to drop out within weeks when I realised the amount of presentations required. I recently got a promotion which requires quite a lot of public speaking and some training, I tried propranonol and although you still feel nervous, the heart palpitations are removed and you can get through it. To date, I've engaged in public speaking in work and at toastmasters using the drug. I still get worked up before hand tho - it just doesn't show!”