User Reviews for Propranolol systemic

Also known as: Hemangeol, Inderal LA, Inderal XL, InnoPran XL

Propranolol Rating Summary

9.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Performance Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol to treat Performance Anxiety

"Great medication!! I've used several times for important meeting and presentations. Previously my voice always started to tremble during presentations which then made me panic and short of breath. I was constantly gasping for air and couldn't stay focused on the content. This med helps keep you relaxed so you can focus on the content and deliver with confidence. It doesn't make the anxiety go away leading up to the event, but I feel with enough positive experiences that will eventually diminish too."

DG (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 17, 2018

"WOW! So I have had major depression & anxiety since I was 17. I am a 25 year old female. For the past couple of years I would HATE to go to interviews so much so that the last year & a half I did not work because I had constant negative thoughts like I’m not smart enough etc. Every time I would go to an interview my heart would start to physically hurt before, fast HR, my voice would crack, I would trip over words or my mind would go blank. Anti-anxiety meds never helped. I decided to try 10mg of propanolol 1 hr before an interview that my Dr prescribed months ago. I am AMAZED! I was able to speak clearly, by body was calm which in turn made my mind calm, wasn’t shaky, I was able to follow my train of thought & even came across as confident! I went to 3 interviews this week & it worked for all of them. I didn’t feel sleepy, just calm, cool & collected. This med helped me come across as who I really am & I am so thankful for it :) do not hesitate to try it. I wish I started it sooner"

anewlife44 (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2018

"This prescription drug saved my career. If you are an individual who has stage fright or anxiety presenting don't be afraid any more. Try this prescription and you will own the floor and lead with all the confidence in the world. Major life game changer for me. Hell yes!"

Fred (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2018

"OMG! I've always been nervous presenting because of all the symptoms described, and did have a panic attack on stage in front of colleagues and execs several years ago - a horrendous experience, which has compounded the issue. After discovering the reviews on this site I just tried Propranolol for a presentation in front of 100 colleagues on stage - what a difference. No dry mouth, no racing heart beat - just easy control of the situation. Obviously preparation for the content is key too, but none of the usual symptoms. I wish I'd discovered this decades ago - my career started in late 80s and I've always steered away from presentations when I could. Always been fine when sat around a table, but always feared presenting when stand in front of a crowd. I took 10mg 2 hours before, and 20mg 1 hour before."

SalesVP (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2018

"Last time I have a speech was in 2009 I completely froze. Today under doctor orders I took 60 mg before a short presentation and it went to good. I took 30 mg 2 hours before and the next 30 mg 30 minutes before. I couldn’t believe it. I sat up there and spoke 30 minutes and could have kept going. Amazinggggg medicine thank you whoever invented beta blockers"

Chole (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2018

"43 y.o., male,180 lb, physically active. My entire life I dreaded public speeches. I had to do them nevertheless, because of my job position and community work. The days before such an event were dominated by fear, and my performance on the speeches always made me frustrated. My body was always rigid, my face with an angry defensive look, and my voice, shaky. Once, when doing an one-hour presentation in front of 300 people, I simply froze. Today I had a 45-minute presentation for 100+ people, and I took 10mg propanolol 2 h before the presentation, and 20mg 1 h before. To my complete astonishment, I ACTUALLY ENJOYED BEING ON STAGE. I could walk while talking, move my body and arms, gesticulate, control my intonation, choose words, make humorous remarks. I remember thinking "geez, I could even try tap dancing right now". I was much complimented, and a friend that has seen me presenting many times asked if I have been taking some kind of public speech training."

Engineer from Southern Brazil November 14, 2018

"Anyone who is looking for a real solution to that horrible feeling of short breath, heart beating and sweat should try this. It is a great help for public speaking and important meetings. You can finally be who you really are and perform naturally! I have never felt any side effects. I have read the comments in this page and it worked for me! So I decided to share my experience as well and help others! I do the same as suggested here, 2 to 4mg 30 or 40 mins before the event I needed it for."

YoungCEO (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 14, 2018

"I was hesitant to take this drug for months, and after reading the reviews on here over and over, I'm really happy that I decided to go for it today. I had a dreaded work presentation and did not want to take the chance of being 'out of it' with Xanax. I'm a middle aged woman in business, 115 pounds. Ended up taking 20 mg of Propranolol 2 hours before the presentation, and just like everyone said, it worked wonders! I had no nervous symptoms at all, and it went well."

westcoast1017 (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2018

"This pill is nothing short of a miracle drug. I was hesitant at first, but after reading all of these comments I figured why not give it a shot. I had a bad presentation about a year ago and ever since then I’ve been petrified of standing in front of a large group of people and giving a few minute presentation. I just did a 30 min presentation and by golly did the pill work. I took 40mg around 2 hours before, then another 20mg 45 minutes before the presentation. It completely got rid of the physical symptoms Including red face, quivering voice, and sweating. That presentation was a breeze...it should be a legit crime that people don’t know about this drug. Doctors don’t have a problem prescribing it because it’s an old medicine and makes it nearly impossible to take too much."

Student18 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 2, 2018

"I have always gotten very nervous prior to presentations and public speaking but I was usually able to get through them pretty well. However, recently my anxiety has gotten pretty bad after one embarrassing public speaking moment to the point of having internal panic attacks with my heart beating out of my chest, extreme shortness of breath, and shaky voice while presenting in front of others even if its a short presentation in front of a few people (which is really embarrassing). I have taken propranolol 20 mg twice now prescribed by my doctor about an hour and a half prior to presenting and it has helped a lot! I still get really nervous prior to my turn and a bolt of fear as I am walking up, but my heart doesn't race and my voice does not sound shaky (which makes a huge difference) and within 5-10 seconds the fear goes away and I am able to speak very well and confidently! I was so relieved that this drug worked for me!"

135792468 (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2018

"Like the many other reviews on here raving about how great this drug is, I too agree with them. I generally dread presentation days and weeks in advance, and lose sleep and have knots in my stomach for days before having to present. When it actually comes to presenting, my heart pumps very heavily, my voice shakes etc etc. I've now used propranolol for two different presentations and it has worked actual wonders. Yes you do feel nervous mentally beforehand but once you get up there- your heart is beating steadily, your voice is normal, you don't appear to anyone to be nervous at all, which is what I think a lot of performance anxiety is based on- people seeing that you're very nervous and then you feeling even more nervous. I couldn't recommend this drug more for anyone that feels the way I do about presentations. For reference, I'm a 24 year old female, weight about 11 stone, and I take 20mg about an hour before presenting :)"

KFD October 25, 2018

"For as long as I can remember I have had EXTREME performance anxiety. I would worry for weeks, sometimes months in advance before having to do a presentation and when I finally had to present my heart would pound, my face would go red and my mind would go completely blank. I went into therapy to get rid of my performance anxiety, but unfortunately it didn't help. In fact, nothing I tried to do helped. :(( I felt very frustrated, since it affected my life a lot. When I heard about propranolol I immediately went to the doctor and got prescribed the drug. Suddenly I wouldn't feel my heart pound, my face go red and my mind go blank. I was able to do a presentation without any problems. In fact, I actually quite enjoyed presenting, which is something I had never felt before. I still use propranolol since it is the only thing that works on my performance anxiety and I am very thankful about having discovered this drug because it is truly AMAZING."

Elena Koch October 24, 2018

"My panic attacks - pounding heart, breathlessness, inability to speak - came on suddenly. After 15 years of presenting in front of various audiences, the panic attacks just started one day - I didn't even feel stressed. First they happened only during important presentations, once or twice a year. Now they happen on the phone, in informal meetings, etc - but only in work related situations. The only stress I feel is that I am going to have a panic attack. Doctor prescribed 20mg Inderal 30min before presentation. I have found that 40mg (with Docs approval of course) 1 hour before works best for me. If I take a pill, I never have a panic attack. However I reserve pills for important presentations and if it happens to me during a meeting, I just blame it on asthma and ask to take a minute to catch my breath. No side effects for drug other than it seems to make me really thirsty and maybe a little jittery"

MrsL (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2018

"Useful and surprisingly effective to manage the physical manifestations of performance anxiety (in my case public speaking, which includes any formal time when I'm asked to speak to a group - I'm fine if I am simply participating in a volunteer capacity in a discussion - just that I get irrationally worried when I'm told ahead of time that I need to present, participate, lead a discussion etc). In such cases, I'll loose sleep, be stressed, anxious, worried and debilitated. Well beyond normal jitters. This medication really helps keep the body calm. Have used in about 3 times in the past few months. Only thing I wish, is that it would calm the pre-presenting worries, which still persist. Hoping that over time, with enough events without physical manifestations, the pre-speaking jitters and worry will subside."

CanadianGuy October 9, 2018

"Let me tell you guys about the greatest drug ever created. I have been terrified of public speaking since about 2012. I am now a senior in college and have avoided presentations my whole college career. Finally, I had to do a presentation AND in front of someone I liked. I was mortified of freaking out mid presentation and not being able to even say a sentence. I lose my breath in presentations usually, it’s awful, it’s ruined my life. So on the day of the presentation I took 20mg of propranolol about 4 hours before and 20mg about 30 min before. I still had extreme mental anxiety about it, but once I got up there and started speaking, I felt like I could talk for HOURS without any physical anxiety. It even took away my mental anxiety while I was presenting due to none of the physical symptoms manifesting. PLEASE TALK TO YOU DOCTOR ABOUT THIS DRUG IF YOU SUFFER FROM STAGE FREIGHT."

123456789 October 3, 2018

"A true life saver for those who struggle with fear of public speaking. I had been terrified of having a panic attack while speaking in front of a crowd but this medication keeps me calm and confident. I still get nervous before a speaking event so I also add Valium to calm my nerves the night before and the day of the event. This combination I highly recommend to anyone. One calms the physical symptoms and the other the psychological..."

Anonymous October 2, 2018

"I used to be fine with public speaking and had an incident of major anxiety when speaking on an international trip. Total freeze up and it's thrown me off for over 2 years since. It's absolutely impacted work performance and confidence. Found this site and got a script. Used today for first time on a presentation to 100 people and holy moly did it work. Felt no anxiety and more direct and on point than usual. It's so relieving to have a solution and to finish a presentation without feeling embarrassed. Now, I know that I can do this. Still want to beat it without needing medication, but an unbelievable short term solution to a really bad problem."

Dravis (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2018

"* 60 year old male * 225 lbs * Fear of public speaking since first terrible experience in 7th grade * Countless public speaking challenges and traumatic events over my life and career * I’ve lost track of how many public speaking requests I’ve excused myself from. * managed everything else in my career splendidly * Found propanolol * spoke in front of 500 people last week without even a tremor. * Years of mental pain and suffering gone with 50 mg Dose: 1 Xanax 3 hr before 20 mg beta 2 hr before 20 mg beta 1 hr before 10 mg beta 30 min before Maybe overkill but who cares - it worked Only side effect I noticed - a little bit of sweating but I was in a jacket and tie so maybe it was just a little warm. It’s actually criminal that more people suffering from public speaking anxiety don’t know about this. I will not be shy about sharing this with everyone I know and even people that work for me who I can see struggle with similar issues."

Wish it was sooner September 25, 2018

"To justwannabnorm: You must not take as much as 4x20mg in a short period of time. To take them 15 min before presentation is to close. The effect of propranolol is best if you take 2x20 mg 1 hour before the presentation. The effect of that dose is very good 1-3 hours after you took them. Also remember that you also must prepare very well what you shall present. Then the 2x20mg will make you able to talk with no problems at all, even if you feel nervous in the brain. The nervousness will stay in brain and be blocked from choking the heart, throat and lungs. Good luck brother:-)"

Guest 210918 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 21, 2018

"Very social guy, and I'm in sales for a living. However for some reason I have this nagging performance anxiety that arises randomly when put on the spot to speak after I build something up too much in my head. Or when I know I have some presentation coming up. I'm talking racing heart, catching my breathe, barely able to muster a couple of sentences. Feel like a damn fool. (I honestly think it all started when a grade 10 teacher would randomly pick me to read things in front of the class unexpectedly.. !) I'm a musician and can sing/play no problem in front of people, but when it comes to speaking without propranolol I'm a mess, with propranolol I'm quite good. Safe to say this drug has helped me immensely, including in my career, where many times you can't shy away, you have to face your fears."

richy (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 20, 2018

"Life altering! I have spent most of my career avoiding public speaking. Even introducing myself caused me to have red blotches on my chest, shaking hands and a loud noise in my head that blocked my ability to say anything in front of people. I could easily be further along in my career if I had known about this miracle drug earlier on. I finally talked to my doctor about my stage fright. He prescribed Propranolol - 10mg up to however I needed. The best part for me is that it was situational. Take about 45 min prior to presenting. I did not have time to try it out - took 30mg prior to speaking in front of approx 100 people and it worked beautifully!!! This does not replace not being prepared. My anxiety was gone and I was truly focused on the message. As far as side effects, my throat was really, dry! I had to take a drink a couple times during my presentation. This has died down since I've taken it more recently. After getting home, I crash. Overall, it's worth the side effects."

Professional Woman September 19, 2018

"I have historically had mild stage fright which gets better or worse depending on context. It is worse mostly when I have to improvise, including introducing myself. It used to be a little less bad when I rehearsed my act into an unnatural puppet act. But the whole thing worsened at age 48 after a couple of bad experiences and when I actually invented excuses to leave rooms - the “flight” in practice. My therapist recommended Propranolol and it was fantastic! Firstly, just reading all the reviews on this board, that fear of fear days before the event reduced sharply. Then on the day of my presentation, heart rate and shakiness increased as usual hours before so I took 20mg 3hrs before, 10mg 90mins before and 5mg 30mins before. I was not nervous. Gave me control before I walked on the stage. Different to others on this board, I felt it working before the speech and it gave me a total confidence boost. Such a pity I did not find out about this sooner."

ManagementConsultant (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2018

"I was terrified when it was my turn to speak for a few minutes in my AA meetings, heart pounding, my social anxiety there for all to see. Instead of listening to the share of the others, I was consumed with anxiety and was not even able to get more than 2 sentences out when its my turn to share. Taking the Propanol relaxes me and I am doing much better sharing--it gets rid of the dreaded fight or flight feelings. I'm working on my self-esteem and the Propanolol removes the anxiety and I'm able to share with more confidence. I take 40 mg. about 2 hours before the meeting and another 40 mg right before the meeting, Next meeting I'm going to take 40mg 2 hours before only. Sharing in meetings is an important part of my sobriety and Propanol olmakes sharing easier for me--so grateful I have it!"

Celine (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2018

"I only take this before a presentation or a stressful meeting and it seemed to work a few times but..... I had a presentation to do and I felt pretty good about it because I had my "magic pills"! :( Well I took one (20mg) 4 hours prior cuz I was nervous, then 1 more 90 min before and then 2 more 60 prior. (note: I thought I'd be leading off the presentations but I didn't present until 45 minutes after it started). Well, I totally could hardly talk, felt totally flushed, couldn't look anyone in the eye and felt like I didn't take any pills at all!! Is this because too much time had elapsed for it to be effective? I want to take MORE next time! Will that help? Maybe 4 pills next time right before (15 min prior)?"

justwannabnorm (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2018

Inderal (propranolol): "I've suffered with workplace performance anxiety (specifically blushing) for as long as I remember, talking in front of big groups, interviewing etc. So I started taking Inderal adhoc with great success, no blushing! On Monday I had an interview at 11am so I took 1 at 8:30, 1 at 9:30 and 1 at 10:30. At 1pm I started to get stomach ache and by 2pm I went bent over in agony. I curled up on the sofa waiting for it to subside but the pain was excruciating. At 5pm I called a health line who advised I went to A&E. My breaths were getting shorter, I started to feel nauseous and my stomach felt like I'd been stabbed. I threw up numerous times in the waiting room, they gave me anti-nausea drugs and an IV drip. I started to feel 'normal' again and was sent home. 3 days later and I am still suffering from slight stomach pain, like an uncomfortable bloated pain. I feel too scared to take them again and I'm so sad because they did seem like a miracle drug for the first few months!"

Davs September 5, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...