User Reviews for Propranolol to treat Performance Anxiety (Page 2)

Also known as: Inderal LA, Hemangeol, Inderal XL InnoPran XL

Propranolol has an average rating of 9.6 out of 10 from a total of 422 ratings for the treatment of Performance Anxiety. 97% of those users who reviewed Propranolol reported a positive effect, while 0% reported a negative effect.

Propranolol Rating Summary

9.6/10 average rating

Compare all 1 medications used in the treatment of Performance Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol

Mail1989 January 20, 2021

“Same as most comments, crippling public speaking anxiety to point that introducing myself for 10 seconds to a few strangers in a room would induce utter fear. Hands shaking uncontrollably, mouth so dry, tunnel vision, racing heart, nausea. Upon recently taking a job in HR I have been getting more involved in presentations and group training sessions .. the thought filled me with dread. I’ve made a fool out of myself before so I thought oh no it’s going to happen again! I researched anything that might help and found this page. Got prescribed propranolol 10mg tabs to take 3 times during a day I may suffer public speaking anxiety. Done my first presentation yesterday, it was like 5 mins then answering questions but after taking propranolol I noticed a big difference. No dry mouth or shakey hands, still nervous inside but felt calm speaking like I was in control somewhat. Think next time I’ll up dose to 20mg 2 hrs before and 20mg 45 mins before instead of 30mg. Wish I knew about it sooner”

Delaz May 23, 2014

“Unbelievable. Suffered for years with performance anxiety and my current job meant I had to do more and more meeting. It got to point that I was thinking I'd have to leave my job or throw myself off a bridge to escape. As a last resort I went to doctors hoping to try beta blockers - I got these thinking they might help a bit. THEY TOTALLY CURED ME. It was like a miracle - I was even cracking jokes and arriving first at meeting where as before I'd hidden in toilets. Only my 1st week, don't know what the future holds but for now I'll just celebrate the relief this has provided.”

progress · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2020

“This drug gives people HOPE! I've had a paralysing fear of public speaking ever since a panic attack when reading a passage in school as a 15 yr old. That was 15 years ago and in between my professional growth has been severely stunted due to this fear. I began drinking and over indulged due to my introvert nature, I avoided any modules which required an oral presentation or simply forewent the marks and didn't show up. I enrolled in a postgrad only to drop out within weeks when I realised the amount of presentations required. I recently got a promotion which requires quite a lot of public speaking and some training, I tried propranonol and although you still feel nervous, the heart palpitations are removed and you can get through it. To date, I've engaged in public speaking in work and at toastmasters using the drug. I still get worked up before hand tho - it just doesn't show!”

tarah m May 28, 2015

“My anxiety is a daily struggle. My heart races, body tremers, I mentally freeze, over any contact with people I don't know. Even walking by people set me off. I'm prescribed 20 mg twice a day. It's a life saver. No more negative thoughts, unexplained irritability, etc. I love you propranolol.”

natty13 December 13, 2013

“I have a severe phobia of public speaking and major physiological signs and symptoms when doing so. I would have a pounding heart, sweat, shaking hands, and a trembling voice, and my mind would even go completely blank. In my career, I had to speak in public on a regular basis and I lived in fear of each speaking event. I was prescribed propranolol to take an hour before I had to do any public speaking and it helped me out tremendously. I had no physiological symptoms at all while speaking. It is a miracle. I highly recommend propranolol for this indication.”

Relieved and saved · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 20, 2016

“This drug saved my life. I am 40+ PhD senior manager in a major company and I have had speaking anxiety with big crowds that goes waay beyond normal nerves. I have tried every type of therapy and public speaking training. 18 months ago I gave a review to 70 people that went so badly (I will spare details) and left me so full of shame I went home and considered ending my life as I could see no way out or ability to face my wife and beautiful children. I saw a doctor, who gave me propranolol and now I am a flawless, speaker who is referred to as one of the strongest speakers in the company! Preparation and knowledge is 100% critical, but this drug removes clinical, crippling inhibitions and lets me show who I really am. Life saving!”

Jdiddy12 · Taken for less than 1 month September 3, 2014

“I have suffered from public speaking nerves for many years. I have a very successful career and managed to get so far by avoiding or getting through presentations. During the beginning of any presentations my heart would beat like it was about to explode and my mind would go blank. I took one tab 40mg an hour before and it worked like a miracle. I am so happy now.”

Anonymous October 20, 2012

“Absolute miracle - I cannot believe it. I take only 10-20 mg as needed, and it basically shuts off the fight or flight response. Those sudden adrenaline bursts followed by total fear and panic just no longer materialize. In fact your entire body will probably thank you for the stress relief. Propanolol has given me tremendous confidence with virtually no side effects. This coming from someone who has thought it might be better to get hit by a bus than have to attend weekly staff meetings. More effective than alprazolam and without the side effects, from my experience. Doctors need to look at propranolol as first line treatment for anxiety!”

PicDoc May 22, 2015

“Propranolol took me to the next step in my career. I'm a physician but never really believed in something so routine being so effective with stage fright. I was suddenly invited to give talks at an international conference for physicians - never having given a podium talk in my life before. Took 30mg 1.5 hrs before the two talks. Couldn't feel any symptoms of nervousness when I got up there. No rapid heartbeat, no turning stomach. Absolutely crushed the talks. Ended up winning a presentation award for my talk, against all odds. Not only did this medication help me accomplish what I felt is my base capability, but it elevated me to a level of performance I never thought I could achieve before and only dreamed of.”

Frodoggg · Taken for less than 1 month September 23, 2019

“Short story: Developed panic attack every time I spoke in public. I was great at school and always well preprepared. I would get up there after practicing it 100 times and my flight or fight mechanism kicked in . My heart went a mile a minute, my body would tremble and I spoke like I was about to cry. I am 45 and it is the only area of my life where I lack confidence. My doctor gave me propranolol 10 mg to take 1 hour before and the half hour before and it worked. No fight or flight reaction. I could just deliver my presentation. What makes me mad is I went through college and grad school and no one clued me in.”

haley228190 October 11, 2014

“Prescribed this for panic disorder. Just had a "thought induced panic attack", I was crying and sobbing uncontrollably, screaming, hyperventilating, pulling my hair out. The usual! Managed to take 30mg, having been completely dubious, within 30 seconds I just stopped. A wave of calm washed over me. Usually these episodes last 2 - 6 hours. Incredible medicine! Can't actually believe it, I totally thought nothing could stop me.”

Anonymous November 7, 2014

“Really suffered with public speaking anxiety to the point where I had a panic attack during a presentation and had to stop. Friend recommended propranolol and the difference it made was remarkable. Felt slightly nervous when I had to give a presentation to a large group but when I started talking felt completely at ease. No issues at all. If anyone suffers with the same thing I implore you to see your GP/doctor and get this prescribed.”

JDCDC February 17, 2020

“This drug is a miracle drug for those experiencing intense PHYSICAL signs of anxiety. Wish I had known about this med earlier!!!!! Leaves the sweating, tremors, and heart-racing/tachycardia to a bare minimum. I can think more clearly, because those physical side-effects are no longer in my way... I used to wake up several times per night with my heart racing. And, If I was in an anxiety-provoking situation, my hands would shake, to the point that it was noticeable for others to see, and that caused even more anxiety and trembling. With this drug, I feel more normalized, and can keep these symptoms from overtaking my life. I only take this med, when necessary, as it does cause symptoms of acid reflux, which can be very uncomfortable.”

JASkq March 23, 2014

“Literally a miracle. Panic attacks were getting progressively worse when public speaking. Job was requiring more speaking. Xanax had no effect other than to put me to sleep. Internist suggested propranolol. I had low expectations because the attacks had become so severe. I tried 20 mg at home on a Sunday. On Monday, I did a small presentation with no problem. On Wednesday, I gave a talk to 200 people (took 40mg 1 hour before) and had no problem-even had fun. So happy, such a relief. Highly recommend it.”

Grateful September 15, 2019

“I am going to name my first born Propranolol. I don’t even know where to begin. I developed a crippling fear of public speaking in graduate school that has plagued me for almost 4 years. I Now realize that my mental illness was actually spawned from my fear of public speaking. I now plan to wean off of my SSRIs. I would go to elaborate lengths to never have to speak in class or events. Once I told my professor that a family member was in the hospital so that I didn’t have to read a summary which every student had to prepare. So that he wouldn’t reschedule me, I pretended that I wasn’t in a state to focus on anything school related. I have suffered immensely. The thought of having to present will put me in the worst place for days. I just gave a speech which I in NO WAY could have avoided. And holy shit. You will feel like it’s not going to work. But pop a pill, and look at your hands an hour later. They will not be shaking. That’s when you know it WILL work. And it does.”

Norfolk David · Taken for less than 1 month January 19, 2014

“I had read about the calming effects of this drug and my doctor kindly prescribed me some ahead of my Mother's funeral. I was intending to deliver a eulogy of about 10 minutes duration and I really did not want to break down as I was speaking. There is nothing worse than a sobbing speaker. I took Propanalol about 1 hour before the service and it made a huge difference. I was calm throughout the service and I delivered the whole eulogy without any cracking in my voice. I even remembered to look around the audience and engage people by eye. Everyone was very impressed and I was mightily relieved. I will definitely take this medication before any future public speaking.”

MadameLily · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 29, 2014

Inderal (propranolol): “Works like a miracle. My job requires some presentation skills and no amount of practice reduced the anxiety. My speaking skills improved with Toastmasters, but the anxiety was still crippling. I no longer fear giving workshops and presentations. I only need take it prior to giving a presentation - just once in a while - and a single pill does the trick. Far superior to anxiety meds like Xanax. Propranolol reduces the anxiety with no negative effects on my performance, and no side effects that I've noticed.”

Lonely at the Top February 24, 2015

“Like many on this sight, I had the same terrible symptons that paralyzed me in front of even the smallest group - even my own direct reports. I was prescribed propranolol and I am my old self again. THANKS”

panicattack May 7, 2015

“I have had a panic attack recently more to do so with relationship and work issues, went to the doctor who prescribed me with the medication and I can honestly say within a couple hours I felt relaxed, I don't feel that anxiety where I feel helpless and out of control wanting to cry myself senseless or run out the house screaming because everything around me is suffocating me!! however it works it is the best thing going for me so far :)”

life saver July 25, 2015

“I could not function in my work environment without this drug. I have severe performance anxiety. I am not able to give talks, I'm not good in groups, and am very anxious when put in the spot light. I take 40 mg of propanolol and I am able to function. Without this medication, I would have quit my career and sink deep into depression. Without this medication, I would shake uncontrollably, feel numb with fear and embarrassment, and feel completely out of control.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2013

“I cannot believe how effective this medicine is. Usually I would be shaky, bright red and my voice would sound like I'm about to cry or something. After taking 40mg before my presentation I was as cool as a cucumber! Kept thinking during the presentation, I can't believe I am able to do this and not feel embarrassed. Won't fear presentations anymore.”

Snakle76 March 7, 2017

“Absolutely great. I used to have shaky voice, no independent thought, facial twitching...I used to have to have down a couple shots of vodka to make it through a 5 minute presentation. Now, take 40mg 2 hours out, another 20mg one hour from show time, and it is like magic. I am engaging, comfortable, able to make eye contact, and even improvise on the fly. My presentations end with a committee firing questions in rapid succession, propranolol has provided the ability to take them all in stride. Nothing substitutes for adequate preparation and this will not make you shine if you don't know what you are talking about, but it is a godsend when you know your stuff yet so uncomfortable your delivery SUCKS. Wish I discovered sooner!!”

It works · Taken for less than 1 month December 11, 2019

“I've always had difficulties when having to speak in public. A lot of people tell you that it goes away with time and experience, but in my case it only got worse. It came to the point where it was almost impossible for me to do a presentation. After researching through the internet I found out about Propranolol and got my doctor to prescribe it for me. It really helps tremendously with public speaking anxiety, thanks to this drug I was able to give the first presentation in my life in which I actually felt comfortable and in control of the situation. Definitely recommended for anyone with these kind of issues. Only bad thing is that you will still feel nervous inside. It won't show in your body though.”

Anonymoussssss September 18, 2013

“I used to get so red, and feel my heart will get out of my chest when I want to make a presentation in the university. Until the day I tried propranolol and it was more than a miracle. I felt so confident, so strong and did excellent in my presentations, with only 10mg half an hour before. That's AMAZING and life changing indeed.”

mama0514 October 26, 2014

“I must really have a problem. I take it for singing at church. But need a much higher dose than most I see on here. When I am just singing with the Praise Team I take 60 mg, but when I sing a solo I take 100 mg to feel no symptoms of heart palpitations, feelign like my throat is going to close with no notes coming out. And im 5'3 115 lbs female...started with 10mg and kept having to increase dosage until I felt symptoms gone during a performance. Seriously dont know what I would do without this medication!!”