User Reviews for Propranolol to treat Performance Anxiety (Page 3)

Also known as: Inderal LA, Hemangeol, Inderal XL InnoPran XL

Propranolol has an average rating of 9.6 out of 10 from a total of 422 ratings for the treatment of Performance Anxiety. 97% of those users who reviewed Propranolol reported a positive effect, while 0% reported a negative effect.

Propranolol Rating Summary

9.6/10 average rating

Compare all 1 medications used in the treatment of Performance Anxiety.

Reviews for Propranolol

SocialAnx April 9, 2015

“This is a miracle drug for people who suffer with the physical affects of anxiety. I had a very important live TV interview coming up that I was absolutely terrified about, and the thing I was most nervous about was shaking on TV. Every experience I've had with public speaking I have had uncontrollable tremors in my hands and head. I took 40mg of propranolol an hour before the interview, and I experienced none of the awful shaking, blushing, sweating or the increased heart rate. It was a such a relief. The drug will not stop the anxious thoughts or the feeling of terror before the performance, but it absolutely will block the physical effects, which is what most performance anxiety sufferers panic about.”

Sarah December 21, 2019

“I’ve been having shaking episodes in social situations for the past 5 months. Tried to manage it myself, but so unable to do so, so eventually went to doctor who diagnosed social anxiety and prescribed propranolol 40mg four times a day. I haven’t had any more shaking episodes, feel a bit breathless and weak, but definitely more relaxed, I think I have this drug to thank. I don’t take 4 a day, just as and when I need to, before a social event”

MRS. CONFIDENT November 30, 2015

“So ALL my life I've struggled with confidence! I could never get in front of people , I could never be social! The second I heard that celebrities take this stuff I just had To get my hands on some! This is a MIRACLE PILL! I am telling you, Now I don't care about what anyone thinks of me. I really don't! It's hilarious, who would of thought a simple pill could launch my career? I am very successful now THANKS TO THIS PILL! I know that some people think that overcoming anxiety and gaining experience is part of the challenge of being a successful business woman, or a performer BUT FORGET THAT! Why would you want to actually dedicate and commit yourself to that for years when you can take this pill and loose the stress of anxiety. Great pill ”

Anonymous January 5, 2009

“I had severe anxiety and had difficulty, in training classes, at work until I started taking this medication. This medication has allowed me to stay calm through the most frustrating situations. It is an amazing treatment.”

Mvt123 · Taken for less than 1 month November 28, 2012

“I'll get straight too the point. If you're struggling with performance anxiety, and feel helpless (like I did), stop waiting and go see your doctor immediately and get a script for propranolol; it changed my life. Ever since I enrolled in University my fear of public speaking became heightened (because of the pressure to succeeded) to the point where I had a panic attack during a presentation. It was the worst moment in my life, and I knew I needed serious help. I got a script for propranolol, and took 20mg 1 hour and 1/2, and another 20mg before my presentation. I went up (I was so nervous I didn't sleep at all the night before) and absolutely killed it. I felt so comfortable in front of the stage. It changed my life.”

University student · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2014

“I am in full time school in a program that requires me to give many oral presentation. I am a somewhat shy and introverted person and have always had a lot of trouble being able to do this effectively. I get very anxious and I shake and get short of breath and feel my heart racing. I had heard about propranolol so I consulted with my GP and she prescribed 40mg to me. The first time taking it right before my presentation I felt slightly anxious and was thinking that it wasn't working, however the minute I started to present I felt calm and relaxed and was able to present well. No shaking or pounding heart, which I now realize increased the anxiety and really interfered. This medication is a lifesaver to me, I am glad I found it!”

Changes everything!! · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 19, 2013

“I have always had a debilitating fear of public speaking, to the point I would worry months before I knew I was giving a presentation. In my line of work, it is an important skill to be able to give oral presentations and I knew it was something I would have to fix. My doctor prescribed me propranolol. I was reluctant, but after reading others reviews, I gave it a shot. It honestly is the BEST thing my doctor could have prescribed me. I am able to give a presentation without shaking and actually feel at ease. I hope over time as my confidence builds, I will be able to deliver a speech without it.”

Anonymous June 6, 2015

“I suffer from mild social anxiety, audience anxiety or stage fright which when put in the spotlight in big groups (church, ministry programs, or work related events) resulted in me being soaking wet from sweating. I had taken myself off of caffeine, and made efforts to exercise for about an hour to an hour and half before events to practically sweat myself dry. I spoke w/a dr. friend of mine and prescribed 20 mg of propranolol 3 times a day. I have found that if I take it regularly as a daily maintenance drug it is most effective. The last presentation I gave at work in front of about 75 people I sailed thru it w/lots of compliments. I have noticed no side effects either.”

Anonymous March 20, 2017

“Propranolol is so amazing. I used to have really bad panic attacks before presentations in college and now I take this medicine an hour before I present and turn into another person. I no longer tremble, my heart no longer pounds like crazy and I can talk normal and be completely comfortable in front of a big lecture hall. It honestly works so well.”

AC Slater March 27, 2015

“Okay, first off my anxiety has gotten worse the past couple of years to the point where if my boss calls me in his office to talk to me one on one, I get sweaty palms, quivering voice, and chest pain. Well...I came to this sight saw what you guys had to say and I got a prescription for Propanolol thinking it would help me. Guess What? It's a total GAMECHANGER. My boss called me in his office today to try to intimidate me and I was just like Hey boss what's new? What can I do for you? I just treated him like it was no big deal and he wasn't intimidating me one bit. I put a bead on him and look him directly in his eyes and was cool and calm. I could have NEVER done that before. Thanks everyone on here. Propanolol is the real deal.”

PropranololRocks · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 9, 2013

“I got on here just to rate this medicine, ironically, after reading about it on here. I'm a professional speaker and performer who for years was an amateur wannabe speaker and performer. I have a lot of involuntary nervousness like redness and shaking hands which would sabotage me despite my general level of comfort and quality of presentation. Take 10-40 mg 30 mins to an hour and it becomes physically impossible to get nervous. Now I'm rapidly moving up in my field thanks to my poise and confidence. ”

Cleisthenes · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 27, 2019

“Never posted a review on anything before but felt moved to with propranolol. I never had a problem with presentations until a bad experience last year and since then I had completely lost my confidence. Not a good thing in the role I am in. I got a prescription from my doctor and it really has transformed everything. I have only ever used it when giving a presentation- I take 40mg (Inderal) an hour to 45 minutes before the presentation and it works within 5 minutes. You're calm and controlled. Your brain tries to get your adrenaline going and heart pumping and your body just refuses to. It creates a positive feedback loop almost as if your body tells your brain "Look there's absolutely NOTHING to worry about"- your brain relaxes and off you go- no shaking, trembling, sweating or shaky voice. Its difficult to put into words how grateful I am for propranolol and whilst my aim is not to have to use it, its there if I need it.”

CorryMae February 2, 2015

“I failed 12 attempted classes in a community college because I struggle with Panic Disorder/Social phobia. Presenting to the class was a nightmare, I couldn't get through it without shaking so bad, students thought I was having a seizure, so I either dropped out of the class or skipped the presentation completely receiving a zero. If I didnt have faith in God, I think overtime the disorder would have caused me to not want to live anymore, which is sad. I sought professional help from a Psychiatrist and he prescribed me Propranolol. I not only graduated from community college, but am now finishing with my Bachelors at a University. Propranolol has saved my life and that is an understatement. P.S. It is $12 WITHOUT insurance.”

go ask alice May 6, 2013

“I used to freak out during presentations, it got to the point where I would have a full blown panic attack in front of the classroom. I would get so embarrassed and it made me feel insecure then in all aspects of my life. Especially social situations. I had a presentation today and although I was nervous before, it completely disappeared once I started talking. My heart was still pounding but not coming out of my chest and I wasn't shaking. I felt so calm and confident. I think this pill is amazing.”

Gulp · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 5, 2015

“I have struggled with public speaking my whole life, but it all boils down to what I call "that thing my voice does." When I have to speak in a large group, or even get put on the spot to tell a short anecdote with 5-6 people, I get this wave of physical anxiety and my throat feels like it closes. Its like I have to swallow uncontrollably.. Recently a switch in primary care doctor resulted in a prescription for propranolol. It is a miracle! It just works. I don't have palpitations, no crushing adrenaline rush, and my voice is calm and clear!! I would pay $1,000,000 for this - no exaggeration. I read an article where a cardiologist said he went to a physician conference and at least 20% of the Drs presenting used a beta blocker.”

njchuck · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2014

“I just tried propranolol for public speaking for the first time yesterday. I've hated public speaking my whole life. I shake and blush and it's very embarrassing. I Have a new job now where I have to speak in front of people sometimes. My Dr prescribed me 10 mg. I tried it over the weekend to see if I had any side effects and there were none. I'm generally an anxious person and it did make me feel calmer, but it was a subtle effect and I was worried that 10mg wouldn't work during my speech because I see some reviews of people taking much higher doses. But it actually worked. I still felt nervous like my Dr said I would but at least I didn't shake at all or feel the physical symptoms of my nervousness. I wish I had found this in high school and college.”

I like it May 31, 2011

Inderal (propranolol): “I have struggled with public speaking my entire life. This is truly a miracle medicine for me. I like the fact that I do not have to take it everyday...only for specific events which are typically scheduled in advance. I would still prefer no medication but have been very happy with the results from Inderal.”

Thought I was dying from fear · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 14, 2015

“Something about being around other professionals and public speaking makesme self conscious and extremely nervous/anxious to the point that I have a full blown panic attack with uncontrollable shaking and the urge to cry and run out of the move. My hands shake so much that I can't even drink water. I'm 29 and a healthcare administrator in NYC with the responsibility of developing workflows and holding meetings regularly. In the last two years, with growing responsibilities it has gotten so bad that I thought it would cost me my career. Until I discovered propranolol. I only take it if I am going to a meet and greet or I'm expected to speak in public and it is AMAZING! I don't know what I would do without it (20 mg or 40 mg I need it)”

Anonymous 34 March 10, 2014

“Propranolol is an AMAZING medication that completely eliminated the physical symptoms of my speech anxiety. My cognitive ability was sharp and the symptoms of shaking, fast heartbeat and adrenaline rushes GONE! I highly recommend this medicine for those of you who have uncontrollable physical speech anxiety.”

John J. Haindel March 10, 2015

“I had been having serious performance anxiety for about a year at work - voice shaking, rapid heartbeat, short of breath, light headed, couldn't collect my thoughts in front of my bosses or in meetings whice I often led. I was avoiding talking to my bosses and direct reports. After taking this medicine I notice a general calm when in these situations now and I'm so relieved. I led a meeting today and didn't get nervous at all. I was able to put my thoughts together no problem and had mimimal/ manageable physiological symptoms. On a 10MG dose.”

Speech Paranoid · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2014

“My dad always raved about how wonderful this medicine is for speech anxiety and I am finishing up my bachelors degree.. Needless to say I put my 'Public Speaking' course until my last semester.. I took 20mgs an hour before my speech and did I nail it!! I wasn't nervous at all.. And I usually feel like I'm going to puke before a presentation! This is a miracle for me and I will definitely take it again for speeches later on! Would highly recommend to anyone with "stage fright" or fearful of talking in front of others!”

ThereIsNoSpoon · Taken for less than 1 month October 21, 2016

“Thanks to all the reviews on this site I went out and got a propranolol prescription. Have always had crushing anxiety any time I felt I was being evaluated. Shaky voice, unable to breathe or speak freely, the works. Had to present my work to 8 executives of a major potential client today, to do with a contract that could turn into millions of dollars for our little company. No pressure. Have been dreading it for weeks. Took 60mg an hour before. It's strange because the usual internal panic I've become so accustomed to just never came. I could have been chatting to my mum, I was that relaxed. It went so well that afterward, when on my own, I nearly cried out of sheer elation that I had found a solution. 31 yr old male”

Anonymous November 2, 2014

“This is quiet literally a miracle medicine. I used to give presentations all of the time to big groups of people but over the years seem to develop a fear and would be anxious for days leading up to the presentation ... not anymore. I take 1 10mg red pill 1hr before the presentation and because the heart is not racing the rest of me is perfectly calm and relaxed. You still need to prepared and know your stuff or be well rehearsed for a speech but outside of that you now have nothing to worry about. This is truly a life and game changer for anyone who has to give public presentations.”

Real1056 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 23, 2019

“Just started taking in the spring for performance anxiety on top of hypertension medication. Since I needed to lower blood pressure doctor agreed to prescribe this to me for the anxiety. It really does work. I have serious anxiety issues presenting at work but this knocked it out at 20mg 1 hour before. I even held my hand to myself while presenting round table to prove no shaking. What I have not done is next which is an auditorium on stage coming up to upwards of 500 people. I am hopeful that the propranolol will continue to prevail but mentally still psyched out. Anyone with experience on scaling from small crowds to big audience and dosages? Also want to make sure you all are real. The reviews are almost too good to be true :)”

Bridg · Taken for less than 1 month April 10, 2013

“All I can say is WOW! This is A-mazing to say the least. Have always been terrified of oral presentations. Had one today, took one 10mg propranolol 1 hour prior to the presentation. Was very fearful that it wasn't going to work but man was I as calm as ever! It was so nice to be standing up in front of the class being able to talk(breathe) no racing heart, no running out of air, no, not being able to finish a sentence! Where has this been all my life!”