User Reviews for Nitroglycerin

Also known as: Nitrostat, Nitro-Bid, Nitro-Dur, Rectiv, Nitrolingual Pumpspray, Nitrostat Tablets, Minitran Nitro-Time NitroMist GoNitro Deponit Nitro TD Patch-A

Nitroglycerin has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 44 ratings on Drugs.com. 70% of those users who reviewed Nitroglycerin reported a positive effect, while 15% reported a negative effect.

Angina Pectoris Prophylaxis   10.0
High Blood Pressure   1.0
Summary of Nitroglycerin reviews 7.5 44 reviews

Reviews for Nitroglycerin

scaredy cat · Taken for less than 1 month January 27, 2021

Rectiv (nitroglycerin) for Anal Fissure and Fistula: “This medicine sat on my shelf for over 6 months - I was so afraid of the 'worst headache ever' described in many posts. I finally became desperate enough to use it, and am on 5th day now. Please don't be afraid to try this. It has absolutely helped the fissure. No pain or blood the last 3 days (after over 1 year of pain and bleeding). Every application I do get an unpleasant pressure sensation in my head immediately (which is creepy), but it does go away in an hour. Only once was it a full on headache and I think I used too much of the product. But not even so bad of headache that I took tylenol or advil for it. Be very careful to only apply the 1 inch amount. The product does burn my skin a bit - I suspect the PEG or lanolin ingredients. If I ever need it again I would ask about a compounding pharmacy preparing a hypo-allergenic version. I am F, 5'7 weight 120. I am usually very sensitive to medicines and often choose pediatric dosed of products.”

K9 December 2, 2020

For Angina: “The only variable in my routine is that I took Valerian Root to help me sleep. I have been using it for a week following the directions on the bottle. It wasn't having any affect helping me sleep so I increased the dose. Within 30 minutes of taking it my heart symptoms started, severe pain etc. I decided to try nitroglycerin instead of calling an ambulance for several reasons including not wanting to get COVID at the hospital. It mostly relieved the chest pain, but only temporarily so I took more nitroglycerin for a total of 4 times, one pill at a time with the same results. After 6 hours the pain went away. I am not going to take Valerian Root again and I hope that I won't experience chest pain. Today I feel horrible, dull headache, tingling hands, listless, out of it mentally, and sluggish physically. But no more chest pain. I attribute these feelings to nitroglycerin.”

AL54 · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2020

For Anal Fissure and Fistula: “This part of the Leaflet my hospital NHS gave me • About 60-70% people with a chronic anal fissure are cured with a 6-8 week course of GTN. Therefore, the chance of a cure by using GTN is better than with the supportive method alone • You should rub a pea size amount of the ointment into the skin around the rim of the anus 2-3 times a day. Do not push it inside the anus. If you do, it will be absorbed into the blood stream 3 and you are more likely to get side effects, such as a headache • It is important that you complete the full course of treatment, as it may take 6-8 weeks of treatment for the fissure to heal fully. However symptoms such as pain may ease quickly Hope it helps guys and girls”

AP · Taken for less than 1 month April 28, 2020

Rectiv (nitroglycerin) for Anal Fissure and Fistula: “I've been using this ointment for three days now and just started noticing that bowel movements are less painful. The headache side-effect is a real thing but for me, isn't strong and only lasts for about 20-30 minutes. It does happen every single time though and it's almost instant. My insurance did cover this but I still paid $80.00 for one tube.”

Ughhhh · Taken for less than 1 month April 18, 2020

Rectiv (nitroglycerin) for Anal Fissure and Fistula: “Worst headache ever instantly after application of Rectiv. It does alleviate the rectal hell I've experienced. I am miserable and I'm just praying this heals. I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH LONGER I CAN DO THE FISSURE OR THIS MEDICATION.”

virbull · Taken for 10 years or more April 18, 2020

Nitrolingual Pumpspray (nitroglycerin) for Angina: “I have used nitrolingual spray for about 10 years now and hate going out anywhere without it. Just a note though. On the bottle it says "200 doses" ..... absolutely no way. Further, about 8mm height of the liquid is left in each bottle and not able to be dispensed. Surely a better designed bottle/dispenser is not that hard to come up with. That's probably over 300mm in depth wasted over the 10 years I have used the product. Plus, I will be out walking and need the spray. Seeing there seems to be plenty in the bottle I take it with me. Everytime I get caught and am not able to spray any of the product.”

JustAGuy · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2020

Rectiv (nitroglycerin) for Anal Fissure and Fistula: “Dealt with anal fissures for multiple years. Lived in 24/7 anxiety. Spent countless hours researching the internet for solutions. Felt like I was becoming as knowledgeable as a colorectal surgeon. First couple of times I tried Rectiv, the headaches were INSANE. Very intense. To the point I quit taking. I started up again and dealt with it and after a couple of days, the headaches went away—as did my symptoms. The .4% nitro solution can be made into a .2% compound at a speciality pharmacy — which will ease the headaches. (And only cost $17!!) Bottom line is: the stuff works.”

Mfish January 23, 2020

Rectiv (nitroglycerin) for Anal Fissure and Fistula: “I have never had such a severe headache in my life. Made the mistake of using before bed. Headache kept me up all night into the morning finally had to take caffeine pills to try to constrict the blood vessels in my head. I will NEVER use this again. Rather have pain my my butt the feel like my head is being ripped apart.”

pissed January 23, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I went in for my medicare 1st physical for the insurance. I liked the Doctor. My blood pressure was high. 191/113 which was about average for me. In fact just days before my appointment it was 234/117. Anyway he wanted me to go to hospital. I said no and signed a paper so he would not be responsible . Fine,. He then proceeds to have his assistant put a nitro bid 25 ON MY CHEST AND SENT ME HOME WITH A PRESCRIPTION OF CLONODINE. By the time I arrived home my head was screaming of my shoulders. I was have chest pressure, weak, and could not function. I spent the next 3 days in bed. He said keep it on for 6 hours. I was done at 5. My blood pressure went to 237/120 As far as the Clonodine lets see causes liver and kidney failure makes you weak, fatigue, can't drive, headaches, causes you to lose your hair and makes you nauseated. So how are these things helping my blood pressure. Oh by the way, I felt great before going to the doctor.”

Bill Durham · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2020

Rectiv (nitroglycerin) for Anal Fissure and Fistula: “Suffered excruciating butt pain on and off over the last year. The anticipation of another bowel movement caused great anxiety. Tried diet change and fiber supplements. Started applying Rectiv three days ago. On my fourth day. All pain has subsided. Very slight “tingle” in my head when initially used each time. Wouldn’t consider it a headache, but more of an indication the medication was taking effect. Dr. prescribed the day before I was leaving for vacation to the Keys. Writing this on the beach - pain free.”

PDubz · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 6, 2019

Nitro-Bid (nitroglycerin): “Meh- describes the experience for me. My Dr. prescribed nitroglycerin to me after confirming an anal fistula. Pain and blood for 6 mos. I thought it was hemorrhoids but was wrong. Please do yourself a favor and do not self diagnose yourself with hemorrhoid as this will prolong the problem. Anyway- as others described- the headache sucks, however it is more tolerable if you stick to the plan. I was on it for 1 month and saw a small difference but not enough- pain was still there even with a balanced diet, fiber and exercise. I decided to get a sphincterotomy after the dismal results. I’m glad it worked for some people though. If insurance doesn’t cover it, use the GoodRx app and get a discount. It’s about 40 to 60 dollars but if it works it may be worth it.”

Thief of users · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2019

Rectiv (nitroglycerin) for Anal Fissure and Fistula: “$696 for a cream that you can have made for $35. Ripoff and investigations into price fixing are in order!!”

RN · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2019

For Anal Fissure and Fistula: “Im a GI nurse and I was in so much pain, tried to self manage thinking it was only hemorrhoids but in fact I had a good size fissure and was prescribed this. Yes it is expensive I was almost tempted to leave it at the pharmacy but I decided that I needed to just take care of the issue. First dose was scary, I had palpations, I was sweating and I instantly got a headache. For my second dose I used a little less (pea sized) and it was okay. Yes there is a headache but it went away within an hour. I’m on day 3 and I’m already seeing an improvement. I don’t think I would use it for 3 weeks like I was prescribed but yes meds work. FYI, use gloves when handling this med.”

Lauren June 4, 2019

Nitro-Bid (nitroglycerin): “I had a chronic anal fissure that kept returning. The last flare up was for 4 straight months. I couldn’t sit down, sitz baths only relived my symptoms for minutes until the pain returned for hours on end. This medicine (although it does give you a headache, not unbearable) it healed My fissure and stopped the pain within days of use. Only thing that has worked.”

Cb April 25, 2019

Rectiv (nitroglycerin) for Anal Fissure and Fistula: “Tried this cream (Rectiv) once and I had a severe headache. Not knowing it was the cause I tried the second dose and I had an excruciating headache that not even pain killers could take away. Didn’t take it again...”

Smilie January 23, 2019

Rectiv (nitroglycerin) for Anal Fissure and Fistula: “The only thing I have found helpful in managing pain for severe hemorrhoids. Mild headache but tolerable given pain relief.”

Shomera · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 6, 2018

For Angina Pectoris Prophylaxis: “Of all medications that I use this is probably the least troublesome. Always work immediately.”

MsPainHelp · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2018

Rectiv (nitroglycerin) for Anal Fissure and Fistula: “I was cold during the use, I had trembling and a light headache. I pray it works today is only day 1. $616.00 is alot of money as insurance did not cover which is horrible!”

Relief · Taken for less than 1 month September 4, 2018

Rectiv (nitroglycerin) for Anal Fissure and Fistula: “I suffered for over a year with a anal fissure that was so painful I’d lay in the bath 3-4 times a day to get relief. It was also infected and was leaking a horrible smelly clear discharge. I finally went to the doctor and had it checked out. He prescribed this to see if it would work and within a couple weeks I was healed and had 0 pain. The headaches only last a week or less from the first use. This stuff is amazing and I can’t praise it enough. I thought I was gonna have to deal with the excruciating pain for forever.”

Lee September 3, 2018

For Anal Fissure and Fistula: “I have gone to my new surgeon she had done a colonoscopy on me. After that went to the follow up she said I have a really bad fissure tear with hemorrhoids so she gave me this medicine. She said it will make you dizzy, headaches or even fall down I am 24 years old I have had this pain for almost 2-3 years with blood in my stool. She even put me on a high fiber diet, I am now taking stool softeners and Metamucil. So she said start with a pea size then a inch pea size 1-3 times a day. If you can and start with 1 inch 12 hours a day then do a other pea size if you took a shower or a bowel movement. Side effects I had. Weakness, headaches, little,dizzy lets see the results when I go back to the surgeon I hope no surgery. But once I got used to it I barely had headaches. Mild after a month and a half of using cannot remember.”

MK · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 20, 2018

For Anal Fissure and Fistula: “I have had a fissure for a months now. Thinking it was a hemorrhoid I tried to treat it myself. Unfortunately for me the pain go worse one day and was SO bad I had to go to the ER. Just so they could prescribe me some kind of pain killer.....which they didn't do. Fast forward two weeks and I have an appointment with a specialist. He applies the cream for inspection and just that small amount for the digital exam was enough to give me almost INSTANT pain relief. Instant as in a few minutes later the pain was bearable enough where I could sit and sleep. If you are having symptoms of hemorrhoids just go in and get your body checked out. I was in high school when I got my first one and did not have any kind of rectal exam due to embarrassment until I was 25. Don't be me. Get an exam and get relief. and get it fixed Just don't go to a crappy ER like I did.”

Cmcn1986 · Taken for less than 1 month April 13, 2018

Rectiv (nitroglycerin) for Anal Fissure and Fistula: “One application as prescribed and I had a headache worsening over 3 hours, dizziness, and severe nausea. Ended up projectile vomiting. Scared to try again after experiencing these side effects.”

Julie March 23, 2018

Rectiv (nitroglycerin) for Anal Fissure and Fistula: “This is a fantastic medication.I was trying everything over the counter and nothing really helped till my doctor put me on rectiv. I thank god for this medication and my doctor for prescribing it. Within 3 days of use the pain subsided and I felt a major difference. I'm back to my old self again ”

Honda 1300 August 11, 2017

Nitro-Dur (nitroglycerin) for High Blood Pressure: “I had to stop taking nitro-dur 5 coz my neck got so sore & stiff . I tried it for three days each day the same pain .every after noon I had to remove the patch which when done the pain was gone after 30-40 minutes after”

Ameyls May 31, 2017

Rectiv (nitroglycerin) for Anal Fissure and Fistula: “I struggled with intense pain and bleeding due to a fissure for several months. Assuming it was hemmorhoids, I tried multiple over the counter medicines, but nothing worked. My OB/Gyn was the one who realized it was a fissure and prescribed Rectiv. The headaches were rough at first, and I almost quit using the ointment because of them. I'm so glad I didn't, though. Within one week, the headaches were gone, and my fissure symptoms were calming down. By week two, I was totally back to normal--no pain, no bleeding. I continued using it for another week, just to be sure I was completely healed. I've been off it for two weeks now, and I'm still symptom-free. I can't sing the praises of this medicine enough!!”