User Reviews for Amlodipine

Also known as: Norvasc

Learn more about Amlodipine.

Migraine Prevention 30 reviews 29 medications

High Blood Pressure 231 reviews 262 medications

Coronary Artery Disease 1 reviews 6 medications

Summary of Amlodipine reviews 268 reviews 5.8

Reviews for Amlodipine

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking amlodipine 4 months. Started to experience extreme lethargy, palpitations, depression, anxiety and tinnitus. So bad I packed my job up. Started reading reviews on drug. I stopped taking drug 4 day's ago symptoms have almost disappeared. It got to the stage I felt I would rather risk stroke etc than carry on feeling the way I did. I am now monitoring my bp myself up to now its been perfect."

Patricia 1246 September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I'm a 65 year old male who has had moderately high BP until about a year ago. Then it started spiking with a high of 198/100. My Dr put me on Amlodipine Besylate 5mg about 10 months ago. BP today 119/71. Like all meds, this will effect everyone differently, but from what the Dr's tell me, it's the one with the least number of side effects. The following are things I have noticed since taking this drug. 1. My legs seem a little weaker than before but have not noticed significant swelling which is one of the main side effects. 2. At night I have discomfort in my legs generally the thigh muscles. Not pain but discomfort like I ran on a treadmill for an hour. Nothing that keeps me awake. Overall, it works for me."

L.A. Rich (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "It makes me sleepy. I get phlegm all the time. It's hard to function on a daily basis once I've taken it. My doctor doesn't believe it's the medicine and won't change it but yet she isn't trying to find any other results as to why I'm feeling this way. I've switch my time for taking it. I now take it around 4 pm. I still have to fight to stay awake but at least it isn't all day."

Tfjp August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Started taking this drug about one year ago. In past months my legs started hurting then found out I have so much edema halfway up my legs. Also lots of left side eye pain and twitching. Does not seem to be helping my blood pressure much so am cutting it back myself to 5mg and will monitor my blood pressure at home to see if this helps. If not I'm going off of it with swelling in both legs that hurts."

Joyce671 August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Took this drug for high blood pressure. Started out on hydrochlorothiazide but had a lot of side effects from it. Then switched over, took it one night and only got 4 hours of sleep. Next day I took my blood pressure and it was insanely high. Highest blood pressure reading I've had. I went to urgent care and they suggested I go to the ER. At the ER they did a lot of tests and couldn't find anything. 48 hours after taking amlodipine blood pressure still hasn't gone down. If I could give this drug a negative reading I would. Stay clear of amlodipine. Highly don't recommend."

Jm19 August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Can it cause frequent urination at night?"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I started taking 5mg once a day for high blood pressure (150-95) but it had almost no effect. Since 10 days the doctor increased the dose to 10mg but still it seems it is not working as my BP has only decreased to around 145-90. However, no side effects experienced."

tafte (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "2.5mg dose helped blood pressure decently (130/70 from 150/70) when at home chilling. Not sure if it would have that effects at work under stress. Also on 80 Edarbi. However, I am feeling very very tired, and my mind is one big fog that I noticed so clearly in meditation how unclear my mind is. I have to get off. I trust my cardio who says he has seen little or no reported side effects on such a low dose, but not for me. Interesting many migraine sufferers find relief, so the effect on arterial dilation and other blood vessels must be good."

Papp July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I have had a terrible time with blood pressure medicine. I received 25 mg on Hydrochlorothiazide but after lab work my doctor said I was losing too much potassium so he took me off it. He then had me take Triamterene, 37.5-5.25 mg tablet. This medicine gave me potassium but also had two diuretics. I experienced increased bruising and weakness in my legs and cramping in my lower legs that it was very difficult to get out of the pool after exercising. I am now taking Amlodipine 5 mg tablet. My ankles and feet swell up something awful, my legs feel very swollen as well and I have developed a terrible rash across my breasts. I am a 63 year old female."

Addys Grammy (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Took 2.5 mg for a year with not recognizing any side effect. At annual checkup blood pressure was over 200--but I had just taken a bad fall and had big time bruises and a hematoma (excuse bad spelling) on hip. Dr bumped up amlodipine to 10 mg. Within 10 days noticed significant swelling of ankles and feet and experienced pain on the inside of legs (the entire length of the leg). Cut dose to 5 mg and pain gone next day, swelling reduced. Two weeks on 5 mg and blood pressure 135/70. Another week on 5 mg and 130/69. Feet and ankles still somewhat swollen, frequent leg cramps every night. Considering going back to 2.5 mg."

Bekket (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking Amlodipine for BP for several weeks after having reactions to other RX-- coughing and numbness in hands. Now I am experiencing "trigger finger" -- first one hand and now the other-- particularly the ring fingers, plus some numbness and aching in all fingers. My doctor says it wouldn't be the Amlodipine, but I am reading that it might be a less common side effect."

VEF July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I take 5mg for high blood pressure. Right when I did start taking it got massive migraines all the time 5mg worth the second I stopped taking it migraines gone"

deepcover June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I have cut in half a 2.5 mg daily dose of Amlodipine and that seems to do the trick for the side effects I had with a higher dose,,,I have been on this drug since January, 2016 and my age is almost 74 years old..."

joycedweber (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I was on amlodipine for 3 weeks. I stopped taking it 8 days ago. I have had and still have weakness and tightness in my arms and shoulders. I also have a burning in my arms. I have also had flushing. Also bad stomach problems and urinary problems. Will these problems go away?"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I take 10 mg amlodipine daily, 300 mg irbesartan and 20 mg nebivolol daily. The amlodipine seems to do me the most good. There is some ankle swelling. I am a 76 yr old male."

Idyfrank (taken for 10 years or more) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "I'm 37 and didn't always have issues with BP. I have been Norvasv 2.5.mg for about a month. It has made me worse. I have been to the ER twice because I feel lightheadedness. I feel like I am going to faint. I do not understand. I never had any issues until I started taking this medication. Has anybody else gone through this? Both hospitals couldn't find anything."

Bob S. May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I first developed high BP when pregnant for my son. I can't remember the medication I was placed on while pregnant, but I was prescribed Amlodipine after pregnancy when my BP refused to return to normal. That was 9 years ago and until last year it worked great. I was on 5mg for that time and it was excellent at regulating my BP with zero side-effects. A year ago my BP started spiking again. My doc raised me to 10 mg and it helped for a little while, but sadly isn't helping anymore. I really wish they could just increase the dosage, this medicine didn't make me have any side effects and now I have to start a new one, Losartan. Will begin taking it tomorrow, but am worried, the side-effects look terrifying. Crossing fingers."

High BP momma May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I was prescribed amlodipine ironically after a heart attack possibly caused by zomig .When I was taking it thought it was weird I was no longer getting migraines . When I was told to come off it by the cardiologist , the migraines returned . It's changed my life . The only side effect is oedema ( swollen ankles) a small price to pay . Been on it for 15 years now"

Mercedes daktari May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I began taking these tablets a week ago. My face and neck has has been flushing red. I have been feeling uncomfortable heat in my feet, my skin has been extraordinarily dry and I have been feeling sluggish and sick. I was prescribed Amlodopin because the Losartan I was taking gave me a chronic cough."

Jerol May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "Just to update an older review: Amlodipine has completely eliminated my migraines. I haven't had a single migraine since I started taking 10mg of Amlodipine about 3.5 years ago. I used to have 2-4 full blown 18 hour -2 day migraines a month. No side effects or downside to medication so far. It's worth a try."

Conanette update April 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "My Dr. Prescribed amlodipine I've only been on it a week. Now having terrible stomach pain & I mean unbearable. Red rash flare ups on my arms. Taking myself off of the crap."

Kellyjokelly April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "Dentist took my blood pressure at 218/105, a total shock to me since it has always been low except for white coat usually around 150/90. She sent me to the ER. EKG was normal, and I felt shaky but otherwise okay. 10 mg Norvasc was prescribed and within 2 days BP was down in the 130/70 range in the morning. 6 weeks later it is often 115-125/70 and is rarely above 135/75. I had a strongly pounding heartbeat for a few days the first week, which went away. I was also tired the first couple of days and my legs felt heavy on my daily 2-mile walk -- that also resolved by the second week. It's working for me though my goal is to lose enough weight and exercise enough to eventually get off it. I'm a 62-year old female."

Dobes (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "49/F I went to the cardiologist 3/28 because, my heart was racing at like 90-110 on a daily basis. My BP when I got there was 218/106. Mixture of white coat syndrome and an IBS episode I was in the middle of, plus whatever else is the cause of my HBP. Dr said go to the ER! I declined. He did an EKG and all was fine. Dr prescribed 10mg of Norvasc and Coreq. I went home and took my bp it was 170/100. Took 5mg of Norvasc and 50mg Toprol I was already on. BP came down to about 140/95 in about 12 hours. Pain by my pancreas for 12 hours a few days into it. Feet and ankles swollen like balloons. 4/14 on 10mg my bp averages around 133/86, feet still swollen by night. Feeling A LOT better. Finally, something that works for me. No other side effects"

SharynLP (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I used amlodipine for 6 months during which I developed “football feet”, swollen ankles, lower legs. Since onset was gradual, I did not realise how much oedema I had accrued. I stopped taking amlodipine - swelling in my lower limbs were rapidly back to almost normal, almost because of 3 varicosities on my left ankle, for which I now must use an ankle brace. I told my doctor that I had quit because I was unhappy, and he said that he was very happy and that I needed help for moderately high blood pressure. I then suggested that HE try amlodipine. He once had me use ezetrol , and I stupidly continued for almost a year before realising I had become severely affected. I now give new meds a trial period and tell the doc if I am not amused."

Seriously displeased April 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "On Norvasc since 1992. Started with 5 mg. After kidney cancer, one kidney removed in 2004, blood pressure slowly rose, now I take 10 mg once a day. Also tried all generic brands, but the filler in all maintenance medication causes an Adverse Reaction, called Myalgia. Pain in the groin and upper legs, so must stay on Name Brand, Norvasc. Now Kidney Disease, Stage 4, blood pressure often rises, usually because I get off my strict diet. It will go up to 200/100, but generally it stays 134/73. I am 76 years old, so that 134/76 is a perfect blood pressure for my age, especially with Kidney Disease. Norvasc has been a life saver for me."

ZGB April 8, 2017