User Reviews for Amlodipine

Also known as: Norvasc

Learn more about Amlodipine.

Migraine Prevention 29 reviews 29 medications

High Blood Pressure 215 reviews 264 medications

Coronary Artery Disease 1 reviews 6 medications

Summary of Amlodipine reviews 251 reviews 5.9

Reviews for Amlodipine

For Migraine Prevention: "I was prescribed amlodipine ironically after a heart attack possibly caused by zomig .When I was taking it thought it was weird I was no longer getting migraines . When I was told to come off it by the cardiologist , the migraines returned . It's changed my life . The only side effect is oedema ( swollen ankles) a small price to pay . Been on it for 15 years now"

Mercedes daktari May 3, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I began taking these tablets a week ago. My face and neck has has been flushing red. I have been feeling uncomfortable heat in my feet, my skin has been extraordinarily dry and I have been feeling sluggish and sick. I was prescribed Amlodopin because the Losartan I was taking gave me a chronic cough."

Jerol May 1, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "Just to update an older review: Amlodipine has completely eliminated my migraines. I haven't had a single migraine since I started taking 10mg of Amlodipine about 3.5 years ago. I used to have 2-4 full blown 18 hour -2 day migraines a month. No side effects or downside to medication so far. It's worth a try."

Conanette update April 28, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "My Dr. Prescribed amlodipine I've only been on it a week. Now having terrible stomach pain & I mean unbearable. Red rash flare ups on my arms. Taking myself off of the crap."

Kellyjokelly April 26, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "Dentist took my blood pressure at 218/105, a total shock to me since it has always been low except for white coat usually around 150/90. She sent me to the ER. EKG was normal, and I felt shaky but otherwise okay. 10 mg Norvasc was prescribed and within 2 days BP was down in the 130/70 range in the morning. 6 weeks later it is often 115-125/70 and is rarely above 135/75. I had a strongly pounding heartbeat for a few days the first week, which went away. I was also tired the first couple of days and my legs felt heavy on my daily 2-mile walk -- that also resolved by the second week. It's working for me though my goal is to lose enough weight and exercise enough to eventually get off it. I'm a 62-year old female."

Dobes (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "49/F I went to the cardiologist 3/28 because, my heart was racing at like 90-110 on a daily basis. My BP when I got there was 218/106. Mixture of white coat syndrome and an IBS episode I was in the middle of, plus whatever else is the cause of my HBP. Dr said go to the ER! I declined. He did an EKG and all was fine. Dr prescribed 10mg of Norvasc and Coreq. I went home and took my bp it was 170/100. Took 5mg of Norvasc and 50mg Toprol I was already on. BP came down to about 140/95 in about 12 hours. Pain by my pancreas for 12 hours a few days into it. Feet and ankles swollen like balloons. 4/14 on 10mg my bp averages around 133/86, feet still swollen by night. Feeling A LOT better. Finally, something that works for me. No other side effects"

SharynLP (taken for less than 1 month) April 14, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I used amlodipine for 6 months during which I developed “football feet”, swollen ankles, lower legs. Since onset was gradual, I did not realise how much oedema I had accrued. I stopped taking amlodipine - swelling in my lower limbs were rapidly back to almost normal, almost because of 3 varicosities on my left ankle, for which I now must use an ankle brace. I told my doctor that I had quit because I was unhappy, and he said that he was very happy and that I needed help for moderately high blood pressure. I then suggested that HE try amlodipine. He once had me use ezetrol , and I stupidly continued for almost a year before realising I had become severely affected. I now give new meds a trial period and tell the doc if I am not amused."

Seriously displeased April 13, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "On Norvasc since 1992. Started with 5 mg. After kidney cancer, one kidney removed in 2004, blood pressure slowly rose, now I take 10 mg once a day. Also tried all generic brands, but the filler in all maintenance medication causes an Adverse Reaction, called Myalgia. Pain in the groin and upper legs, so must stay on Name Brand, Norvasc. Now Kidney Disease, Stage 4, blood pressure often rises, usually because I get off my strict diet. It will go up to 200/100, but generally it stays 134/73. I am 76 years old, so that 134/76 is a perfect blood pressure for my age, especially with Kidney Disease. Norvasc has been a life saver for me."

ZGB April 8, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "DREADFUL, FLUSH IT! After taking amlodipine I first noticed a grey red rash on chest, neck and forearms (should've know my body was rejecting it). Next, gradual increase in Peripheral neuropathy symptoms symptoms including frequent numbness, burning, twitching, and noticeable muscle loss left leg and other paresthesias ( I believed I was in the throes of some awful neurological disease). I hope others suffering will read this, because within 24 hours of stopping this med, I'm already feeling much better. Sadly I will likely have some permanent damage, but at least I stopped before I became worse. It's a CRIME that patients are ignored when they complain about side effects. Big Pharma take notice!"

Reerobbb (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 6, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking 5mg norvasc for about a year then my doctor said to me to increase to 7.5 mg and thats when I started getting heart palpitations and headaches and blood pressure still was high around 147 /88 heart rate 69bpm. Then my doctor said take 5mg norvasc like before but add 2mg coversyl - that made me have palpitations very tired fatigued and out of breath, headaches and felt like someone is strangling me and felt anxious. Basically couldn't function so I went back to just 5mg and going to see cardiologist. I feel like a guinea pig trying different medicine with no results. I'm still tired out of breath sometimes laboured breathing BP is still high, get cramps in stomach, I must have gone to hospital and my doctor so many times."

Elias p April 4, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I was prescribed 10 mg Amlodopine for high blood pressure. Relieves the blood pressure but I get terrible headaches since taking Amlodopine, no matter if I take in the morning or in the evening. Still the excruciating headaches and cannot sleep. What to do?"

dancer11 (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Norvasc (amlodipine) for Heart Failure: "I recently started this medication at the 5mg level and have now gone up to 10mg. I feel better and don't feel like I am not so distressed when doing small chores like before. Only issue I have had is I am so tired."

dtlttownsend March 10, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Initial BP 211/100 Dose taken 10mg amlodipine + 10mg Ramipril BP now 140/80 and dropping still after 3 weeks. Side effects lightheaded and tiredness but dissipated after a week or so. Noticeable Benefits for me are less anxiety, no sweating, a kind of calmness. More focused. less irritated. I do not care what they say...having a lower blood pressure does physically and mentally make you feel better."

echelon (taken for less than 1 month) March 3, 2017

57 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "This pill is absolute POISON!!! I only took it for a week and a half and ended up in the emergency room! I had a fast heart beat and pulse, tight chest with pain, an extreme anxiety feeling, kidney pain, and my left arm was numb on and off and generally felt out of it and zombie like!! Before I got fear mongered into taking it I was COMPLETELY NORMAL!!!! I have been trying to get back to normal ever since the ER trip when I got off this poison pill! There is NO accountability for these drug companies!! Do not trust these doctors they are drug dealers for the pharmaceutical companies and they don't care what happens to you!!! Do NOT take this poison!!"

Amlodipine is poison (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2017

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I don't react well to blood pressure meds. Quick story: I'm 24, Female, overweight (but working on it now) and haven't had an issues with health at all until 3 weeks ago. My norm BP before this issues were around 125/76 (I work at the hospital, I check it often) 3 weeks ago I had chest pains and went to the ER and my BP was 160/103 and ever since Its been about 145/100 with meds when I wake up daily. I started off on Metoprolol (I think its called) it helped lower my BP a little going down to 135/85 but the side effects were HORRIBLE. I felt like a zombie, I couldn't focus and almost got into a car accident, My chest pains would come back, I had tingling in my legs right arm and jaw, and eye twitching and spasms. My BP would shoot up."

Nicole -Phoenix, AZ (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I wake up at night with severe cramps. I never had a cramp in my life until I started taking this medicine. The frequency of cramps is about 3 to 4 times per week, minimum. The cramp is so bad sometimes that I start on a cold sweat. I will ask my Doctor to change medicine."

Tamacun (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Hello everyone! I am now 35 years old, and it has almost been seven years since I started taking Amlodipine Besylate. I am still on the same dose of 5mgs daily since 2011. My BP is 125/72, but I have put on 60 lbs in the last two years. I do suffer from Graves Disease of the Thyroid. This is not related to the medication. The point is, when I got down to 114 lbs, I actually stopped taking Amlodipine; my bp was normal. The weight loss was due to Graves Disease ( Hyperthyroidism). Then I had radiation treatment, gained weight now my bp is elevated again. I now started taking Amlodipine Besylate again, same dose since 2011. The only side effect I noticed is it makes me somewhat hypervigilant, but nothing to be concerned about."

TMT82 (taken for 10 years or more) February 18, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I've taken both Norvasc and it's generic, amlodopine. I am taking amlodopine 10mg now. No side effects, just does what it does, and I love it. Just wish it did all of it. It only brings it down to around 160/90- down from 230/150. Too bad I can't just take more. Everything we've tried to add, headaches and headaches, and aches and pains. I don't get symptoms from from my BP. More like a rush, if anything. Why would take something that makes me feel that way? Quality of life, you know? I'm a 50 year old woman in reasonably decent health but for this"

pmbourque February 14, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I've had high bp, in the 140-160/90-100 range for a number of years, stubbornly refusing to take medication, as I eat a healthy, low-salt diet, and exercise regularly. However, the high numbers persisted, and my current doctor told me I need to take something. She gave me this, at 10mg a day, and I reluctantly tried it. Well, to my amazement, my numbers were down to the 120/80 range almost immediately, with zero side effects! And that I get it free at the local Public, only makes it better. I also found that my chronic shortness of breath vanished, except occasionally, and I felt "normal" again! Like I had been living at far less than at optimal level, and now I was back...."

StevenCee (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2017

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "you get use to it... lowers my BP and eliminated my ongoing headaches after 15 years... my feet hurt a little but over all really glad I decided to try it. I take 5mg a day."

Dave Canada 2017 February 12, 2017

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "63 year old female with hypertension, I have been on Atacand 8-16 mg for about 8 years. A doctor I have never seen before put me on this to start 2.5 mg each day and take with the Atacand. I have been taking it for about 6 weeks and after reading about all the side effects which I have some of, extreme tired, flushes, sweating, dizziness, tingling in soles of feet, arms and fingers, weakness, headaches and irritable. I feel spaced out and terrible and I am not taking it anymore and I am going to go back and see my normal doctor. I am annoyed that the doctor who put me on this did not warm me about the side effects!"

Flanno (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Started on the Amlopidine 3 months ago. Bp was 150/74 at Dr.'s. Now it goes to 145 about 1 time in afternoon, but goes down to 99/58 every once and a while, causing me spaced out feeling. I've had terrible headaches all this week, dizziness, cough. Can't drive.. I am getting off this, because I felt much better before. I had just retired when I started this med. Was totally independent, now stuck at home."

Anddie (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2017

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Have been taking Amlodipine for 4 days now. After first day felt fine, second day had a panic attack on the train to work, shook me to the core and haven't felt right since. Fluttering heartbeat, feeling nervous and anxious for no reason, feeling like I'm not totally in my body or in the moment. Woke up at 4am and had a mild panic attack and couldn't sleep for another hour. Ringing in ears and tingling fingers and toes. Taking this with perindopril combi 5mg, have NEVER had any adverse reaction to previous blood pressure medication. I'm so scared to keep taking this medication, thought I was imagining things until I researched and found many, many others similar and worse reactions. Have scheduled doctor appointment to change meds. I'm 20&F"

Sam96 (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Amlodipine besylate 5mg is soooooo EVIL. IF I had known about this medication before I started taking it. I WOULD HAVE NEVER AGREED TO GET IT. This medicine makes you feel like you're having a heart attack and stroke. Trying to stop taking this medication is like you feel like you have an addiction. It's like the medication tries to FORCE YOU to take it because of the harsh side effects. I had to basically dumped the medication down my garbage disposal. For 5 days I felt HORRIBLE. I felt throbbing sensation around my jaw. The pressure moved down to my neck. It felt like someone was squeezing my neck. Also I felt tingling sensation in both arms. I immediately told my doctor I can't take this medication anymore."

DD Smith January 3, 2017

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Today was the first day of taking the drug. It started to kick in about an hour after taking it. It seemed to do a good job of lowering my BP... however, as many of the comments above it makes you feel zombie-like. When I attempted to go to sleep I laid in bed for 8 hours straight without ever falling asleep. There was one moment when I almost fell asleep, however, I ended up jumping up and gasping for air... I do believe I will not be taking this drug the next day.. or ever again! Based on my normal sleep, I would've passed out within the first 1-2 hours of trying to sleep and this drug just kept my minding going all night long. This is based on a 5mg dose. My blood pressure the day I went to the doctor was 150/120. Good Luck All..."

30 Year Old Male December 30, 2016