User Reviews for Amlodipine

1 review 8 medications
Summary of Amlodipine reviews 5.1 413 reviews

Reviews for Amlodipine

Loopy lou · Taken for less than 1 month July 17, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "On amlodipine for 4 weeks and it reduced my blood pressure, but spent 3 weeks feeling tortured with shortness of breath, constant coughing and wheezing. My dr put me on antibiotics and steroids for 5 days and it helped, but as soon as that corse stopped the struggling started again.so after being on really strong antibiotics and 8 steroids a day for almost 3 weeks the dr took me off the amlodapine and now I can breath..."

Anon July 16, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I was started on 2.5mg a day. Within 2 days my BP raised significantly. The dosage was increased to 5mg, again a large rise in BP. Another increase to 10mg day and BP skyrocketed with whole body swelling. 2 days off amlodipine and BP is close to normal"

Anna · Taken for less than 1 month July 16, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I’ve only been on the medication for a week after visiting my doctor with a high BP OF 177 which I’ve never had a reading like this before due to anxiety. My Normal reading is around 145 which is still high for my age. I took my BP today for the first time In a week and it was down to 122. So far no side effects but if I don’t get side effects I will go to the doctors and change the medication. I am taking amlo 5mg. 25yo female"

Odie · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 11, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "This drug should be taken off the market. The most horrible side effects you could ever imagine. Swelling ankles to a point of not being able to function normally. DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG, "

maxekin July 10, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I am running out of choices when it comes to B.P meds. Amlodipine helped the B.P but the side effects are numerous and very hard to cope with."

Cyd7 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 8, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I got the side effect of edema. Other than that it worked great."

Sunshine July 6, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "10 for lowering blood pressure 2 for other side effects I have been on amlodipine for about 10 months. I was on another medication for anxiety but got off. When I got off, I started having side effects such as hot flashes, irritability, nausea, muscle pain, dizziness, continued constipation and not being able to sleep. I decided to look up side effects of amlodipine and found out that the side effects was not from getting off of the anxiety medicine but from the amlodipine. I am about to wean myself off of this drug and take the one I have been on for years alone that does not give me side effects but does not lower my pressure by itself."

naba · Taken for less than 1 month July 2, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "For High Blood Pressure: "I am a 47 year old female and have had high blood pressure since I was 30 years old. I have always tried to manage it with diet and exercise. I started on Bystolic about four years ago for my blood pressure. My hair started shedding but just thought it was age. It got to where it was shedding more than normal so I told my doctor. The doctor changed the prescription because I was told that a beta blocker and it caused hair loss. I was put on Amlodipine and stayed on it for a month. I had SEVERE scalp tingling and itching and my hair started falling out in clumps. I have stopped this medication and my hair is not falling out as bad and the tingling scalp has stopped. I have had so much hair loss on this medication that it’s scary. BEWARE!!""

Bizyfe · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 28, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I am 63 and have been on amlodipine 5 mg for right at 5 years. I was originally started on Lisinopril for a BP of 130/90 on a consistent basis after lifelong readings of 110/70. Lisinopril gave me bladder spasms no matter when and how I took it and I tried all times and methods for a month. I have had no problems, no discomfort, no side effects from the amlodipine. Since my pressure at the start wasn't that high, my body didn't show any effects of the lowering to a normal pressure as I know will happen if I had allowed my pressures to be consistently markedly elevated. It is the match for my body chemistry and I am thankful it was only the second medication tried."

Lola · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "My lower limbs got red hot , rash. Feel flush in face and arms. Ankles swell."

Oskar · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 25, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been on amlodipine for three months to treat hypertension, which the drug has reduced from 150/90 to 148/84 at a dose of 10 mg/day, which is practically no effect at all. It has produced debilitating side-effects, however, and my feet and ankles are now grotesquely swollen, I become breathless every time I climb the stairs, I am constantly light-headed, and I have no strength whatsoever. In short, it has utterly ruined my life, and if I don't come off this hideous drug soon I will have to retire from my job."

psfrankj · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 25, 2019

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "I've been on this med for more than ten years and find it quick acting and effective. All BP meds have side effects. I take nebivolol, norvasc and telmisartan, the latter two maximum dosage. I'm 78, male."

Canuck · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 25, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I am 69 years old and in all those years never had a prescription for anything. My BP was 150/90 and a visit to a walk in clinic landed me with a prescription for 5mg amlodipine. First week I was so dizzy and shaky I had to hang onto furniture to walk around. Then for 3 weeks I was cold, tired and shaky but my BP was 117/77. Dr wasn't available to consult so I asked the pharmacist who said my BP was now perfect and my body would adjust. Another week, no change. So for 2 weeks I cut the pill in half and took 2.5mg. Legs became so weak I could no longer go for walks, tend to my garden, play tennis-- all things I did before. My scalp tingles and burns . I'm having trouble controlling bladder muscles and I pee several times each night. So today I stopped taking this awful stuff. Since I was just on 2.5mg I hope I weaned off enough. So my BP will go up but I'd rather have higher BP and a happy active life than sitting on the couch, shaking and sleeping"

Gowiththeflo · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 21, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "Have high blood pressure it went up so was given amlodipine nightmare 1 year burning legs and neck face fast heart rate numbness headaches not gonna take anymore on ramipril hopefully feel better soon"

Drummer June 21, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I was put on this drug 6 months ago as my existing dose of Ramapril (10mg) was not working as well as when prescribed 8 years ago. Initially I started on a (5mg) dose and began to notice muscle cramps when walking more than about half a mile, meanwhile my blood pressure did not improve much so doctor increased this to 10 mg, at this point I had made no connection between the drug and the muscle cramps but after this increase the muscle pain kicked in earlier and earlier and within a few weeks I could barely walk any distance at all,I then realised that this seemed to coincide with when I started and then increased this drug!I have seen my doctor and we have agreed that I come off this drug,I have also suffered blotchy red skin patches on my left foot and an ulcer but not sure if this is also connected or not? I also constantly feel very tired often going to sleep minutes after I sit down!"

Bruno June 20, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "Have been of the drug for two weeks as I have got blood pressure down to 130.81 average Legs are blown up and throbbing Weight has gone up"

p4-man · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 18, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I am a 72 year old man and was put on amlodipine dose of 5 mg for moderate hypertension about 5 weeks ago. My blood pressure has come down and is now consistently below 130/80. I had flushing and tiredness for the first couple of weeks but these side effects have more or less gone now. No ankle swelling noticed at all. I am sleeping better that I have in many years on this medication (having been a life long insomniac) and generally find getting to sleep and staying asleep much easier now. But the best side effect is that this drug seems to have "cured" my headaches! I have been a very frequent headache sufferer all my adult life and particularly in recent years (2 or 3 times a week) but on this medication they have melted away! I have once or twice felt a slight headache coming on but it no longer develops into the major episode that has so often dominated my life. I can hardly believe it! I have tried many different drugs for headaches before without much success. Can this be for real?"

Mrs D · Taken for less than 1 month June 13, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I hate this drug. Was put on amlodipine after developing a severe lisinopril cough. I'm 47 years old and I started exercising and carefully watching my diet. Within the first week of being on 10mg of amlodipine my feet and ankles swelled so bad I could not fit in my shoes. I was always exhausted. Dropping to 5mg helped with the swelling and fatigue but the physical side effects were not the worst part of it. Since starting amlodipine I have become anxious almost the point of being agoraphobic. I'm irritable. Some days I want to crawl out of my own skin. It has been less than a month and I'm already getting off amlodipine! It and lisinopril have destroyed my faith in modern medicine. I would rather have high blood pressure than feel this way. God help me during the withdrawal process."

ruinedmylife June 10, 2019

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "Stay away from this horrible drug Norvasc!! I've been taking this garbage for 35 years and have had a multiple of effects from it not realizing this whole time it was this prescription causing it. I've seen so many doctors about my side effects. They all knew I was taking Norvasc, but not one ever mentioned that it could be a side effect of this drug. I've had peripheral neuropathy (feels like someone has poured hot lava down my thighs and is dripping to my feet). I've had tinnitus, itchy rashes breaking out on my body, headaches galore, and at 62 years old, I now have TMJ. Yes, I'm blaming my TMJ (temporomandibular joint dysfunction) on this drug. It has caused my leg muscles to tighten up and I imagine it's doing the same thing to my jaw. It did control my blood pressure well, but I'd rather not take any meds if this is how I have to live the rest of my life. I took myself off of 2 years ago, but could not get through the withdrawals. It caused my heart to feel like it was beating out of my chest and non stop migraines."

Limpy · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "Amlodipine 10 mg caused severe ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION!!! Worst drug I have ever taken!!!"

Frustrated · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 8, 2019

Arishia · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 7, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been taking this amlodipine for over two years without any complications or side effects that I'm aware of."

Margi June 6, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "Amlodopine is a dangerous drug. It attacks the muscles in the body and weakens them. I was told by Dr to go into a wheelchair. I realized since on amlodopine my life . I started experiencing terrible pain in my hips and muscles. It became so bad that I couldn't lift one leg or foot to take a step. My hips locked into place and my marriage caved. I did a review of the medications I take and found amlodopine does weaken the muscles and it's banned in some countries. I stopped the amlodopine by cutting down to nothing over 5 weeks. I had chest pains throughout until 6 weeks later they were gone. The worst was that my blood pressure ran out of control. I thought this is it often. Then I started having even worse withdrawal symptoms besides my blood pressure reeking havoc though my Dr had given me additional no tablets. The worst headaches and spasms"

Amedee · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 27, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I started this medication a month ago and felt faint, ankles swollen and a constant pain going from chest and down right arm as if I was going to have a heart attack. I had asked for nitroglycerin as had been taking reniten for years and it no longer contained the same component. It wasn't working anyhow but this is really just messing about with people. I wouldn't trust any of their medication"

Arsenalman · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I’m 19 & I've been on the drug amlodipine 3 months. I have a lot of hereditary heart issues in my family. My and my grandad are on this drug. It certain raises your pulse if you do anything. I’ve been told no exercise, no alcohol, no smoking (didn’t anyway) no grapefruit. I’m over weight so trying to loose it so I can come off these. I can feel my pulse all the time, but I haven’t really had many side effects my bp has come from 150/100 to 135-110 / 80-60. UK so it’s free"