User Reviews for Amlodipine

Also known as: Norvasc, Katerzia

Amlodipine has an average rating of 4.5 out of 10 from a total of 596 ratings on Drugs.com. 29% of those users who reviewed Amlodipine reported a positive effect, while 52% reported a negative effect.

Angina   10.0
Coronary Artery Disease   1.0
Summary of Amlodipine reviews 4.5 596 reviews

Reviews for Amlodipine

Majchi March 3, 2021

For Migraine Prevention: “Migraines just disappeared”

Cee March 3, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I get white coat hypertension at the doctor's office. During one episode, the nurse (though well-intended) panicked and kept taking readings (about 10 in a row no breaks) which caused me great distress. She ran through to the doctor's office next door and without seeing me he prescribed this drug. I took the drug as prescribed and it led to rapid pulse a pounding heart and panic attacks for 4 days. When I returned to the doctor's surgery I saw the doctor (a different one) who listened to my concerns, took my readings which and took me off the drug (it takes a month to wear off and lessens each week). She also looked at the earlier readings and said they were elevated but did not need a drug and that lifestyle changes could help at this point. I took her advice and have lowered my blood pressure to a normal range for 2 years now. I still get white coat hypertension find that medical teams don't always allow for it. I wouldn't recommend this drug to anyone.”

Superdoo · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 2, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I was on a very low dose (2.5 mg) because I'm a small woman, 5'. I not only gained weight, but am also having left-sided neck spasms that go into my left scapula. Sometimes when my neck spasms, I hear a cracking sound. I've been off the drug for 4 weeks and am still having these spasms. I wonder if they'll ever go away.”

Thj · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 1, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “this drug ruined my life had to sell everything I owned and use my superannuation because of what it done to my health. All the doctors stuck together denying any fault of the drug finally I had enough of it and demanded my doctor to change me on to different drug ,I fear a lot of the damage done is permanent my life in ruins thanks to amlodipine and third world medical system in Australia”

mudda · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been prescribed amlodopine 5mg, been on for just over 2 weeks, taking it at night time and then taking one perindopril in the morning, having side effects of body tingling, all day dizziness or light headedness, shortness of breath and nausea, feeling like absolute rubbish, feeling so anxious and nervous on a daily basis, going to doctor tomorrow to see about changing meds, previously on talmisartan which was for 6 months, which also had side effects and really did not lower blood pressure at all, the latest ones have brought readings right down but at a cost . I am totally over feeling not in control of my life due to bp meds,,,,,”

Done with medication March 1, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I was on amlodipine for 3 months after discovering I had high blood pressure Before that I was on lisinopil. Both medications was as terrible. From vision changes, hearing a heartbeat sound in my ear. Rapid heart rate, feeling tired. Both meds lowered my blood pressure but it was ruining my life. So I bought a treadmill for about 300 bucks and walked f1 mile a day and lost 20 pounds, take 400mg of magnesium citrate a day. Eat fruits and vegetables and cut down on fatty and unhealthy foods. I weaned off the BP meds myself over a month's time and I no longer take them.. Exercising losing weight and changing your diet will does the trick.”

Nova · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I've been on Amlodipine for a while and seriously the worst medication ever. I take 25mg at night and I can never sleep due to the severe heart palpitations and a fast and almost explosive resting heart rate. This isn't a good drug to give anyone. I've tried giving it a chance but not being able to sleep is causing my already tired, enlarged heart to beat even worse and idk if I can take it anymore.”

KC February 25, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I was on amlodipine (10mg) for almost 2 decades with no problems until recently. All of a sudden I started experiencing many of its side effects - gastric reflux and most frequently swelling of my hands, feet, and lips. My doctor reduced the dosage in half and coupled it with triamterene-hydrochlorothiazide 37.5-25mg, but still resulted in the same experiences, including one occurrence in which swelling in my hand had become so intense that I could no longer make a fist. A nurse suggested that maybe cutting the dosage in half again might address things, but I'm pretty skeptical. Currently I'm just on the triamterene-hctz but it's now causing migraines regardless of how hydrated I am, and I'm at a point where I'm going to "self-diagnose" and take myself off of it as well, and possibly consult another doctor if need be. As I've read in other reviews on this site, please make it a point to advocate for yourselves concerning your experiences with the meds being provided to you.”

Mik · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “Took this medication for 2 weeks then developed sudden neurological issue. My vision went from color to black and white for 10 to 15 seconds several times in a 2 day period. I immediately stopped taking it. I have not had the issue again 3 years now. No doctors have been able to explain it. Also had very little change to my blood pressure.”

GailS · Taken for less than 1 month February 14, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “Started on amlodipine about 10 days ago for high blood pressure. I was on a low dose (petite woman). Within a day after starting the drug, I began having muscle spasms in my neck and left scapular area. Three side effects were uncomfortable enough that I decided to discontinue the drug. My blood pressure is pretty close to normal now, but I'm still having muscle spasms in my neck. I'll discuss this side effect with my doctor at my next appointment with him.”

Bill_H · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “Horrible medication. Don't take it. There were so many side effects - and when the best side effect is swollen, achy extremities, you know it's bad. It was fine for about 3 weeks and then all of a sudden I got the swelling. That was followed by extreme brain fog and lack of motivation. I couldn't think, couldn't talk to my clients and generally did not care about anything. I asked my physician for something else and was given Hydralazine. I've been taking that for about a month and it's been effective and nearly free of side-effects. The only one so far is getting really tired if I drink any alcohol. I'll live with that.”

Ht · Taken for 10 years or more February 12, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “After years on it I suddenly developed severe drug induced gingival hyperplasia.. will have to be surgically corrected.. be warned”

Tech · Taken for less than 1 month February 10, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “For the past two years I’ve been having heart palpitations and high blood pressure (average is 150/101). I went to the ER and had an EKG done which showed some abnormalities. I was referred to a cardiologist who prescribed amlodipine for the hypertension. I was told to get off my propanol (used for my aura migraines) and to start amlodipine 10mg. Unfortunately I was on it for only 3 days and developed a headache that felt like a migraine, had fatigue, was nausea, and a resting heart rate of 132 (my normal heart rate is 70-80) went to the ER was diagnosed with sinus tachycardia due to medication complications. Was told to go back on propanolol while taking amlodipine to lower my heart rate and to help with the headache. I’m on day 7 now and my ankles / feet are swollen. I am 24 and feel like I should not be having all these problems from one medication will be asking my primary to get off of it immediately.”

PABLO · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I was prescribed Norvasc 5mg for hypertension and within a very short time, I knew immediately that it was toxic to my system. The side effects are horrendous! Prescribing this drug to a person who already has anxiety issues, is pure torture. The headaches, chest pain, muscle twitches, groin pain to name a few, were frightening. I am glad for the people who have claimed great results, but I think that it will only be a matter of time before Norvasc rears its ugly head. Ask my friend who after 10+ years on Norvasc, out of nowhere developed degenerative hip issues and had to have bilateral hip replacements.”

Bt February 5, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “Doesn't really help lower bp for me. After a week of taking it, I'm starting to experience weak limbs and tiredness, just like I did with Procartia. Procartia caused major swelling of ankles but improved after lowering my dose. Now my ankles and feet are getting more swollen with again this medication. Also experiencing gut issues. Also I think this is affecting my breathing like Procartia does.. Modern medicine has me failed again”

BD · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 4, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I am 30 and started Amlodipine 10mg on 12 Dec 2020 due to an Hypertensive crisis with a reading 200/125. Since 20, my BP readings used to be 160/90 and on better days 140/90 and I disregarded the medication as I have good diet and very athletic. Amlodipine is effective as my daily BP readings are now 110/70 with few isolated 130/80 for over 2 months. Side effects that I experience during the first week are fatigue and tremors. 3 weeks later gastric reflux, constipation, and isolated occurrences of Erectile Dysfunction. Will update in few months.”

lucy · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 2, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “Have taken amlodipine for eight years. Didn't help much with blood pressure. I am 82 years old and have congestive heart failure, angina, heart murmur and tendency to fall. Have had two concussions. My chief complaint is burning all over body, worse at night and mostly in legs but often arms and chest. Have been to emergency room several times but they could find nothing causing it. Sometimes it is unbearable. Memory going and enthusiasm for life. Have tried to stop drug but blood pressure goes too high. Doctors ( GP and cardiologist) have not connected the dots so I guess it is up to me. Not taking any more.”

Better off without it January 31, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “My doctor prescribed Atenolol 50m for my high blood pressure. I then had a new doctor that thought my blood pressure was still too high and prescribed Amlodipine. As soon as I started taking it, I had side effects; swelling of the ankles and feet: I woke up each morning with a massive headache at my brain stem( I've had headaches, but never there). I took the medication 6 hours before, my blood pressure was rising fast (188/92). I called my doctor immediately. I got a different doctor in the office and told me to stop taking amlodipine and to take 50m of my former medicine, Atenolol. My blood pressure went down and the other doctor gave me a new prescription for Atenolol and I have been fine ever since with no side effects. I wrote this so if you are having problems with Amlodipine, be your own advocate. It is not the only blood pressure medication for high blood pressure. Ask your doctor to find one that doesn't give you so many side effects. I will never take Amlodipine again.”

Big country January 27, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “Felt so awful, I don't recommend. I felt ok until I took norvasc.”

Chronic Headaches January 25, 2021

For Migraine Prevention: “I suffered from chronic headaches below and above my eyes. It had gotten worse over the years. Never had any specific pattern. Was being affected 3-4 times a week. Intensity was sporadic, nausea, not being able to live life normally. All you do is want to sleep until it goes away. Taking pain pills way too much... I had high blood pressure that was getting worse as well every year. My doctor put me on amlodipine 5mg daily for this. Headaches were gone. Every now and then I feel them come on but never to the intensity as before. I was recommended so may other drugs to cure my headaches but no one ever mentioned amlodipine. This drug also helped lower my blood pressure (was 150/100 and now 130/90 avg. I was told blood pressure does not cause headaches generally (unless very high). So maybe something else the amlodipine is doing to the blood vessels to alleviate the headaches.”

Bethcelis88 · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 20, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I was diagnosed with hypertension in June of 2019. I was given amlodipine 5mg together with another ARB medication. No I didn't have swollen feet and ankles but I suffered from insomnia and anxiety because of this medication. It lowered and stabilized my BP somehow after a few months but in the afternoon my BP would still go up as much as 140+ over 90+. I am experimenting with herbal supplements like olive leaf extract to lower my BP and hopefully I can transition to herbal supplements safely and successfully. Rx meds are not for me altho I do agree and and am grateful that in some point in time, this med has also helped me.”

Peter January 9, 2021

For Migraine Prevention: “Had migraine since I was 19 and now 45. Would get at least 1 a week that was manageable but very few weeks one that was horrendous and every 6 months 1 that would leave me stuck In bed all day wiped out and all my nervous system was on edge. Felt like my senses were all over the place not even able to focus on opening a door handle. Started taking Amlodipine 8 weeks ago and realised today I’ve not had a single migraine. No visual disturbances or other aura issues either. Minimal occasional headache that goes away without any need for pain relievers. Glad that this medication has another effect. I suspected this would be the case as it widens the blood vessels and one of my consultants suggested my migraines were caused when the blood vessels contract causing the Migraine.”

keefe January 7, 2021

For Raynaud's Syndrome: “I took this for around 2 weeks for my raynauds disease. Now I will say that this did work for me, I wasn't having as many attacks as I used to before taking this med, my hands were actually WARM, which is huge for me because they virtually never are, they're always freezing cold. It did do me wonders for my raynauds, but there's a catch. It made me INCREDIBLY drowsy. I only took half of a 5mg tablet daily. I felt like I couldn't do anything throughout the day, just felt weak. Even though it worked wonders for my raynauds, the drowsiness and weakness was way too much and I stopped taking it all together. I would not let this discourage others with raynauds who are looking into medication to help control it though. Not everybody reacts the same way, so maybe others won't get that intense drowsiness like I did and it ends up working fine and dandy for them.”

Zil January 6, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I was on 5 mg of Lisinopril for many years with no issues until blood work revealed some kidney issues (which Lisinopril can cause) My MD took me off Lisinopril. BP was ok for a while but started creeping up. I was prescribed 5 mg of Amlodipine a week ago. This medication is making me feel awful; I am tired and unmotivated I actually feel depressed (well that makes sense if it slows the heart rate) I have also experienced constipation which is not something I’m willing to deal with. I called the MD’s office today and nurse advised me to discontinue, which I will gladly do! I am very sensitive to medication so this is probably not typical. I hope they can find something else or just put me back on Lisinopril and monitor me closely”

Ac man · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 5, 2021

For Migraine Prevention: “Stopped my lifelong migraine headaches.”