User Reviews for Amlodipine

Also known as: Norvasc

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Amlodipine.

Migraine Prevention

Coronary Artery Disease

1 review 6 medications
Summary of Amlodipine reviews 5.8 278 reviews

Reviews for Amlodipine

For High Blood Pressure: "5 mg causes me to cough a lot and have an irregular heartbeat."

ZachinNH November 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I was on Norvasc for over 5 years. Yes there is leg swelling, sudden weight gain, and the most difficult, the loss of my hair. Channel blockers are usually given to people with diabetes. It worked well for a while. As soon as I was being weaned off valium, it was like I was taking a placebo."

Shellyyme (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I was put on a 5mg dosage on a Friday. By Monday I was contacting my doctor telling her that I could not take the side effects. Migraine level headaches, lightheadedness, dizziness, racing heart. I suffer from graves disease and hypertension. This medication made me worse. Would not recommend it at all."

Rosieh November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Start taking 2.5 mg about two weeks ago for high blood pressure. First week didn’t seem to have any effect, but this week my numbers are significantly lower however... Today I have slight chest pain and cannot climb to the top of the staircase. In addition my right leg is significantly swollen. I know this is a low-dose but I have never had these symptoms so I am blaming this drug. I have a new doctor ( millennial ) at the practice and she spends more time looking at the computer than me. Have to find a better doctor possibly a specialist ."

Wcrester (taken for less than 1 month) October 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I was on this for about 2 years, 10 mg/day. It was clearly causing my legs to swell, but nevertheless, I persisted. Eventually, the elephant legs were too much for me to take, so I stopped the amlodipine, cold turkey. I lost 8 pounds of water over the next few days and low and behold, blood pressure went way, way down! I hit as los as 109/59, which prompted me to stop another BP med, losartan, which turned out to have been causing my chronic leg pain! I am now only on chlorthalidone, with a bp a bit high at 135/82, not sure which way to go next. Maybe try cutting salt. If you get the elephant legs from amlodipine, maybd cut the dose or cut out the drug, try a different way to lower BP."

RJPKelly (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Was prescribed Amlodipine 10 mg/daily for high blood pressure. Within 2 weeks, develop panic attacks and pins and needles in chest. The 3rd week, developed severe insomnia - not able to sleep more 4 hours nightly, was woken up each night by heart rate jumping to 100+ beats a minute and not being able to catch my breath. 4th week, developed pain in left leg and noticed a raised vein in same leg, developed a ganglan cyst in wrist and at this point the dizziness was awful from morning to night. BP levels were good, so I didn't want to give up but the side effects were getting worse. On 5th week, went to Dr, was told that the symptoms that I listed could not be caused by this pill. So wrong!"

ChrisMA October 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "This medication has many side effects and I think that I had them all. Redness of the face, swelling of ankles and hands, severe knee pain, nausea to name a few. My left knee had so much fluid I had it aspirated three times and not one Doctor said a word. I read some posts and decided to stop taking it and I felt better in a few days and my knee doesn't hurt. 5mgs of poison every morning......"

Tom T (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I love this medication. I have slight puffiness around ankles but the most important thing is I no longer suffer anxiety-which is severe suffering for me. Sure I sleep a lot more but I call it living in the Zone. It works for me. I am grateful."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "My blood pressure can be pretty high. My doctor gave me 10mg of amlodipine and hydrochlorothiazide to counteract swelling in legs. At first it made me groggy so I started taking it before bed. That really helped, but I still felt a little groggy when I was inactive, so I started taking 5mgs of amlodipine in the morning and then 5mg at night before bedtime. This helped tremendously. The hydrochlorothiazide gives me cramps in my legs sometimes, but it's better than a stroke, so I think I'll live with it."

Kray Kray September 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "I took exactly one pill and woke up the next day with the worse headache : top of my head hurt, temples were squeezing, had pressure in my eyes, and couldn't tolerate sounds. How ironic that people take this to prevent migraines! I was done after 1 day. This came after 4 days on metoprolol (sp), which had left me exhausted and short of breath, so I wasn't exactly 100%. B.P. went up somewhat the day I was on this. Headache left as soon as I went off it. (Was put on valsartan right after, and had terrible back/spine pain from that.) I think I am done with meds. Maybe I'll do yoga."

Rocky74 (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking amlodipine 4 months. Started to experience extreme lethargy, palpitations, depression, anxiety and tinnitus. So bad I packed my job up. Started reading reviews on drug. I stopped taking drug 4 day's ago symptoms have almost disappeared. It got to the stage I felt I would rather risk stroke etc than carry on feeling the way I did. I am now monitoring my bp myself up to now its been perfect."

Patricia 1246 September 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I'm a 65 year old male who has had moderately high BP until about a year ago. Then it started spiking with a high of 198/100. My Dr put me on Amlodipine Besylate 5mg about 10 months ago. BP today 119/71. Like all meds, this will effect everyone differently, but from what the Dr's tell me, it's the one with the least number of side effects. The following are things I have noticed since taking this drug. 1. My legs seem a little weaker than before but have not noticed significant swelling which is one of the main side effects. 2. At night I have discomfort in my legs generally the thigh muscles. Not pain but discomfort like I ran on a treadmill for an hour. Nothing that keeps me awake. Overall, it works for me."

L.A. Rich (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "It makes me sleepy. I get phlegm all the time. It's hard to function on a daily basis once I've taken it. My doctor doesn't believe it's the medicine and won't change it but yet she isn't trying to find any other results as to why I'm feeling this way. I've switch my time for taking it. I now take it around 4 pm. I still have to fight to stay awake but at least it isn't all day."

Tfjp August 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Started taking this drug about one year ago. In past months my legs started hurting then found out I have so much edema halfway up my legs. Also lots of left side eye pain and twitching. Does not seem to be helping my blood pressure much so am cutting it back myself to 5mg and will monitor my blood pressure at home to see if this helps. If not I'm going off of it with swelling in both legs that hurts."

Joyce671 August 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Took this drug for high blood pressure. Started out on hydrochlorothiazide but had a lot of side effects from it. Then switched over, took it one night and only got 4 hours of sleep. Next day I took my blood pressure and it was insanely high. Highest blood pressure reading I've had. I went to urgent care and they suggested I go to the ER. At the ER they did a lot of tests and couldn't find anything. 48 hours after taking amlodipine blood pressure still hasn't gone down. If I could give this drug a negative reading I would. Stay clear of amlodipine. Highly don't recommend."

Jm19 August 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Can it cause frequent urination at night?"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I started taking 5mg once a day for high blood pressure (150-95) but it had almost no effect. Since 10 days the doctor increased the dose to 10mg but still it seems it is not working as my BP has only decreased to around 145-90. However, no side effects experienced."

tafte (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "2.5mg dose helped blood pressure decently (130/70 from 150/70) when at home chilling. Not sure if it would have that effects at work under stress. Also on 80 Edarbi. However, I am feeling very very tired, and my mind is one big fog that I noticed so clearly in meditation how unclear my mind is. I have to get off. I trust my cardio who says he has seen little or no reported side effects on such a low dose, but not for me. Interesting many migraine sufferers find relief, so the effect on arterial dilation and other blood vessels must be good."

Papp July 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I have had a terrible time with blood pressure medicine. I received 25 mg on Hydrochlorothiazide but after lab work my doctor said I was losing too much potassium so he took me off it. He then had me take Triamterene, 37.5-5.25 mg tablet. This medicine gave me potassium but also had two diuretics. I experienced increased bruising and weakness in my legs and cramping in my lower legs that it was very difficult to get out of the pool after exercising. I am now taking Amlodipine 5 mg tablet. My ankles and feet swell up something awful, my legs feel very swollen as well and I have developed a terrible rash across my breasts. I am a 63 year old female."

Addys Grammy (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Took 2.5 mg for a year with not recognizing any side effect. At annual checkup blood pressure was over 200--but I had just taken a bad fall and had big time bruises and a hematoma (excuse bad spelling) on hip. Dr bumped up amlodipine to 10 mg. Within 10 days noticed significant swelling of ankles and feet and experienced pain on the inside of legs (the entire length of the leg). Cut dose to 5 mg and pain gone next day, swelling reduced. Two weeks on 5 mg and blood pressure 135/70. Another week on 5 mg and 130/69. Feet and ankles still somewhat swollen, frequent leg cramps every night. Considering going back to 2.5 mg."

Bekket (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking Amlodipine for BP for several weeks after having reactions to other RX-- coughing and numbness in hands. Now I am experiencing "trigger finger" -- first one hand and now the other-- particularly the ring fingers, plus some numbness and aching in all fingers. My doctor says it wouldn't be the Amlodipine, but I am reading that it might be a less common side effect."

VEF July 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I take 5mg for high blood pressure. Right when I did start taking it got massive migraines all the time 5mg worth the second I stopped taking it migraines gone"

deepcover June 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I have cut in half a 2.5 mg daily dose of Amlodipine and that seems to do the trick for the side effects I had with a higher dose,,,I have been on this drug since January, 2016 and my age is almost 74 years old..."

joycedweber (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I was on amlodipine for 3 weeks. I stopped taking it 8 days ago. I have had and still have weakness and tightness in my arms and shoulders. I also have a burning in my arms. I have also had flushing. Also bad stomach problems and urinary problems. Will these problems go away?"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I take 10 mg amlodipine daily, 300 mg irbesartan and 20 mg nebivolol daily. The amlodipine seems to do me the most good. There is some ankle swelling. I am a 76 yr old male."

Idyfrank (taken for 10 years or more) June 13, 2017