User Reviews for Amlodipine

Coronary Artery Disease

1 review 7 medications
Summary of Amlodipine reviews 5.2 370 reviews

Reviews for Amlodipine

For High Blood Pressure: "I was prescribed this medication after I was unable to go more than a week on Lisinopril (10mg). I figured this new medicine would be okay since it was only 2.5 mg. Oh my gosh, this drug is horrible. I feel like I am constantly in slow motion. I have fatigue and light headedness. I have what feels like hot flashes throughout the day and night. THE WORST is the anxiety. I have never dealt with anxiety before. I was in a store and I felt a chill run down my body. I felt clammy and hot and I had to run out of the store. I could barely drive home. It was awful. I am going off this medication. I lasted 6 days. My blood pressure was in the high 30’s at home before medication. I had a few high readings in the office because I was nervous. I am going to try diet and exercise. I am at a healthy weight and I don’t drink or smoke. This drug is evil! I had horrible dreams too!"

Bisa (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I’ve been taking 5mg of amlodipine for almost 3 months. I have not felt well for almost the entire time. I’m very healthy, exercise and watch my diet. I started to google the side effects and Bingo! I won’t be taking this anymore."

Notforme (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "Was taking amlodipine 5mg/day when I could for high blood pressure. It did help lower my blood pressure, but the migraines I got from it were unbearable. Each time I went off them the pain would slowly go away over the course of 2-3 days."

Tee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I am 62 years off age Black male 6-1, 215lbs athletic. Was put on Amolodopine 5mgs 3 years ago, just increased to 10mgs one week ago. I have been having to get up in the night several times to pee which is something new since increasing to 10mgs. I noticed someone’s comments below having the same issue and said two cardiologist looked at him weird as if that couldn’t happen...well it does! Have also had side effects of dizziness and feeling in chest as if I have indigestion. Told doctor about the feeling of lethargy, he had me take blood test for vitamin d levels and mine were low so now I take Vitamin D, it helps."

mpthewizard (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 4, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been on Amlodipine for 1 week now and here is what I have started experiencing: occasional double vision, some hip pain, and a very serious nightmare. I was sound asleep when all of a sudden my throat felt like I was having the worst case of acid reflux I have ever had and I could not catch my breath; I immediately came upright because I could not breath; the feeling immediately went away but there was no indication that acid reflux had occurred (no terrible taste in my throat, no soreness) so I assume it was a very realistic nightmare, but the fact I could not breath seemed very real. I'm not sure I want to continue taking this drug. Sometimes I feel like a guinea pig for pharmaceutical companies."

Roberto5621 (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2019

For Raynaud's Syndrome: "As I've aged, raynauds episodes have become more severe during winter. I'm a 59 yr old Male. I've avoided meds for raynauds, but my symptoms were so severe this winter that I experienced minor tissue damage on the tips of a couple toes and they were so sensitive that I had to soak my feet in hot water, etc., to avoid and reduce pain. Symptoms went away in my feet immediately with amlodipine, I still have episodes of the Raynaud's syndrome with my fingers, but not as severe. I plan to stop using the medication when the weather warms and start up again next winter. I may have some slight dizziness in the mornings, but nothing significant. I take the medication at bedtime (5mg) to help avoid that reported symptom. I think this is also resulting in fewer migraines this winter. I'm on day 25 with this med and am very pleased with it so far. Tissue damage on toes (dark spots) has cleared as new skin follicles have grown. Wish I'd tried this sooner and am thankful to my doc for recommending!"

CB March 30, 2019

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "I have taken amlodipine now for 9 months. I started off with a terrible rash. The medication lowered my blood pressure at 117/79 and sometimes even lower"

Lily (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 29, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "Started taking amlodipine for high blood pressure, so many side effects first day all I could taste was salt in my mouth and I felt like I had the flue as well and got sent to Hospital because of them"

Doe (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "After a stroke, my mum was prescribed this vile drug and continued to take it for around 16/17 months. She is now dying of cancer that wasn’t there before. This drug needs to be exposed."

A lot (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 25, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I refuse to use any APO brand product after finding these apo-amlodipine too difficult to break in half - my dose is half a tablet. Obviously they don't care about the user who has to purchase a cutter just for this ultra cheap made product. My doctor only prescribes me one that is easy to break in half now."

snagz (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2019

For Angina: "After a TIA I found I had high blood pressure 170/110. In the hospital they gave me something that caused HUGE adverse reactions. I was then given a brand name sample by my PCP (expensive) that worked but due to price he switched me to the generic equivalent of 2 meds. We adjusted the dosage of each to find the best for me. Settled on Amlodipine 10mg and Quinapril 40mg. Have been taking these for 5+ years with no side effects that I can say are caused by the drugs. (I experience some of the things reported but know some are caused by other issues I have). Nothing is serious. We twice tried to reduce the Quinapril to 20mg but the systolic slowly went up over 2-3 weeks and when it hit 160 I went back to 40mg. Since I started taking these my BP has been about 134/74 regularly. I am now 68 years old 175-180 pounds, exercise, and watch my diet. Works great for me."

sishilliya (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2019

For Raynaud's Syndrome: "Amlodipine DOES NOT WORK for Raynaud's! Been on for 2 months, still having flair's every time I go outside or get a chill as usual. Only difference is now I'm swollen all over, my heart races and I feel exhausted. Maybe if you have high blood pressure already and are using this as a dual drug...maybe. For me.....Going off of this NOW!"

BostonGirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 21, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "Extremely dizzy , lightheaded and bouts of vertigo. Insomnia was common and with having all those symptoms came a kind of depression from feeling like the world was spinning 24/7. But my BP was under control! So effective but the side effects for me were too much."

Richie Rich (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I was given Amlodipine when my BP rose due to grief. I'm 68 year old female already taking Propranalol and Simvastatin. The Amlodipine did work and my BP is now normal but I have the feeling of being very ill, dying. I have stopped taking the Amlodipine for a couple of days twice and then returned to it. Both times when I wasn't taking it I felt better, stronger and more normal so I know it is the med making me feel this way."

Lilliboots March 13, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "Amlodipine causes me to get up 5X per night to pass urine. It causes my hands to swell to the point where I now have a trigger finger for the first time in my life. Here's the amazing thing. I tell now 2 cardiologists this story and they look at me blankly, followed by "Norvasc does not have a diuretic effect". Rubbish. Read the forums. This is why PRO ( Patient Reported Outcomes) must take over from doctor reported outcomes."

Cooee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 11, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I too had similar side effects to amlodipine though I felt more like crushing rock than any anxiety. Very angry all the time with the shakes. I also was not sleeping at night. And my blood pressure actually went up! It was terrible. I took both 5mg and 10 mg doses. I would never take this drug again. My female cardiologist also did not listen to me. I have recently switched cardiologists."

Mars12 (taken for less than 1 month) March 11, 2019

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "Run don't walk from this one! I was on it for 3 weeks. I had vertigo, muscle weakness, shakiness, unusual sweating, extreme flushing, one ear would turn purple, uncontrollable shaking at night, frequent urination, and extra eye floaters. Doctors and nurses couldn't figure out what was wrong until I looked it up and figured out I was having severe reactions to it! I feel better , but now I am left with a shower of floaters from the experience. Do your homework on any new meds!!!"

Fritz (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I went in this drug, and about 3 weeks later started experiencing horrible anxiety, feeling of “buzzing” in my legs, eye pain and weird sight experienced, etc...... I’m talking about HUGE anxiety! I’ve never been a nervous person before. At one point I thought I would end up in a nervous hospital! I switched meds, and now I feel like myself again. This drug was just awful for me, and my Dr. wasn’t listening to me when I told her about my side effects! My quality of life was really going down the hill on this drug! I was jumpy, nervous, had terrible anxiety!"

Mrs bugles (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "I had been taking 10 mg of Amlodopine for close to 3 years. I had a lot of familial issues going on so the side effects I was initially experiencing I chalked them up to my body being overly stressed. Fast forward to October 2018 after several ER visits for chest pain and left arm weakness I realized it was the medicine. I have been having horrible nightmares for the past 3 years as well where I am woken up out of my sleep and usually my teen comes running in my room to check on me because I wake them up as well. I have experienced severe anxiety which I never had anxiety issues before, heart palpitations (that had me thinking maybe I had A-Fib), leg swelling and left leg weakness/discomfort especially when I try to lay on my left side at night. I stopped taking Amlodopine the end of October and switched back to Hctz. Some side effects have lessened and I'm hoping they eventually completely go away. This drug was HORRIBLE for me!!!!"

KMG December 9, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "After a TIA I found I had high blood pressure 170/110 In the hospital they gave me something that caused HUGE adverse reactions. I was then given a brand name sample by my PCP (expensive) that worked but due to price he switched me to the generic equivalent of 2 meds. We adjusted the dosage of each to find the best for me. Settled on Amlodipine 10mg and Quinapril 40mg. Have been taking these for 5+ years with no side effects that I can say are caused by the drugs. (I experience some of the things reported but know some are caused by other issues I have). Nothing is serious. We twice tried to reduce the Quinapril to 20mg but the systolic slowly went up over 2-3 weeks and when it hit 160 I went back to 40mg. Since I started taking these my BP has been about 134/74 regularly. I am now 68 years old 175-180 pounds, exercise, and watch my diet. Works great for me."

StephenWV (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 8, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "From my experience, I found that Amlodipine 5 mg is more effective than Losartan 50 mg. Nearly 10 years I used to take Enalapril 5 mg twice daily,but BP that time was ranging from 150/85 to 160/95. Therefore I shifted to Amolodipine 5 mg 2 times about 3 years back and could see a fantastic change in my BP between 110/70 and 120/80. In between when I could not get Amlodipine for few days I took Losartan 50 morning and 25mg at night and I found my BP 140/85 or 90."

Emkay December 6, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I recently got off Amlodipine 10mg and let me tell you -- best decision of my life. The garbage landed me in the hospital three times for tightness, A-fib, and blockage (or seemingly blockage). All three times tests came back normal. It was the damn medication and somehow two different cardiologists couldn't figure it out. I'm now on 50mg of atenolol and a nitric oxide supplement. The atenolol is next to go. All blood pressure medications are bad for me I think. Plant based diet and exercise is the answer."

Darth Palpitation November 27, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been prehypertensive for 5 years. Once my BP started to be in hypertensive range, I started taking 5 mg of Amlodipine. It caused severe dizziness, headache , fatigue and drowsiness. I had to go to hospital to rule out MI or and other conditions related to brain. Running drastically reduced my BP to range of 70/40 mm of hg. This medicine has long half life. I stopped Amlodipine"

Mo November 25, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking Amlodipine Besylate 10 mg. For over 6 years now and have the worse side effects have been; heart pounding/palpitations, fatigue, and increased anxiety. I also noticed that my problems were noted when the manufacturer changed to Teva. When the manufacturer was Camber, problems were not noticed. For several years I take Metoprolol XR and Hydrochlorizide with no problems. I stopped taking the Amlodipine Besylate 10 mg. over 3 weeks ago and and have noticed that my energy level has increased, anxiety lessened and heart pounding decreased. My BP has been about the same as when I was taking the Amlodipine Besylate, so I plan to discuss this with my GP. I feel there are problems with this medication and hope that with numerous complaints/concerns it will be further investigated."

June November 18, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "after 18 months on amlodipine with awful side affects doctor told me to just stop taking it and put my perindoril from 4mg to 8 mg. I am really worried as I thought you had to wean off it "

sarah53 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 18, 2018