User Reviews for Amlodipine

Coronary Artery Disease

1 review 7 medications
Summary of Amlodipine reviews 5.4 337 reviews

Reviews for Amlodipine

For High Blood Pressure: "I’m having heart pain ever since I started taking this medication. I was doing fine without it... by doing exercise, cutdown on sodium and taking garlic sometimes. Now with so many bad reviews, I would not recommend this medicine."

Khan (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Awful swelling in feet and ankles to the point that some of my shoes no longer fit. Itchiness in that area as well. Flushed face. Medication did not lower my blood pressure very much at all so it wasn't worth the suffering of the side effects."

Steph October 4, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "It reduces blood pressure quite rapidly, but it has some side-effects, particularly flushing, blushing and above all night urination, rather frequent urination. In case of a small headache, you simply need to cut down a part of a dosage."

THEOFANIS MASTICHAS (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 1, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I’m a 51 year old female. Previously on Ramipril which I had to stop due to the permanent tickling annoying cough which I developed. Began taking Amlodipine 5mg some months ago. Had a couple of bouts of dizziness, have had neck pain, swollen hands, etc but had never thought this could be due to this medication, until recently and reading up on the side effects. Very recently my anxiety levels sky rocketed, my motivation, concentration and mood significantly plummeted-I am now going to request my GP changes my meds to stop my awful low mood/depressed state, as I am sure it’s because of this medication."

Jools (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I thought Norvasc and amlodipine was the same medicine. Amlodipine is the generic name of Norvasc."

Babysister September 26, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Doc put me on 5mg of Amlodipine due to high BP. I am a very healthy 71 year woman. Vegetarian since age 3 I swim 4-5 times per weak along with hiking. At first I did not notice any side effects due to stresses out side of my control. BP did not go down very much so Doc increased to 10 mg. After a few days of feeling exhausted to where I did not have the energy to swim and kept falling asleep during the day. My face was flushed my whole body ached, severe headaches, pain in my heart and then terribly swollen ankles. I immediately stopped taking this awful drug. My BP had not reduced, I took 3 garlic cloves in water with lemon which brought down my BP. Next day went to the pharmacy and now I am taking hawthorn tablet in the am and garlic pill in the evening and have been checking my bp 3 times a day it is better than ever and I have resumed my normal activities, no more headaches, angina and ankles back to normal. "

cici (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "This drug helped me lower my blood pressure. It took about a month to work. Now a year later I have pain in all my joints and stomach. Stopped taking it my bp went sky high 180/111 along with anxiety. Went to a holistic doctor and got some herbal meds. That are working well. I would not recommend amlodipine for anyone it’s poison."

BM (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 17, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Feet and toes are now stiff and my left leg is numb. I believe now there is no way to stop the spread of these side effects from the medicine. I now feel my right leg going numb and fingers getting stiff."

Sam (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2018

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "I have been on Norvasc for over 17 years now. Before Norvasc my doctor tried me on other BP meds and it didn't keep my pressure down, But when my doctor put me on Norvasc 5mg. My pressure is always beautiful as long as I take my Norvasc. So I want to thank the company who made this pressure pill because it work wonders for me. 17 plus years on Norvasc and will not have it any other way. The number 10 is not high enough to rate this pill."

Kay Cee (taken for 10 years or more) September 12, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I'm a 54 yr old female and have high blood pressure for years and I am takin lisinipril and metoprolol. My blood pressure shot up to 250 over 126 the pain in my head was so bad I thought I was going to pass out thankfully I was already a patient in the hospital and the doctors were able to get my pressure down fast and started me on Amlodipine 5 mg it seems like its working good and a few side effects but I'll keep taking it."

Kaycee (taken for less than 1 month) September 11, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Where do I begin!!! I have been taking 5mg for about a year and 1/2 now. My BP readings have been around 135/80 to 140/85. At first I only experienced the flushing, slight headaches, then came the dizziness. A year later, my knees starting hurting, shortness of breath for no reason, my hip started killing me, numbness in my limbs. I tried to stop taking it but my BP shot right up. It's like what do you do?! All BP medicines cause some sort of side effects. My Dr. put me on Atenolol and that seems to be working so far but we'll see."

Muffin (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 7, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Horrible leg pain and swelling."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been having high blood pressure for years, but due to my stubbornness, I refused to be on medications, rather I tried managed it with running and diet, until recently I have put on some weight and had not been running as regularly as I should my blood pressure went up to 230/120. That's when I was referred to A&E. I'm now on amlodipine and the Doc just up my dosage to 7.5mg, she was very encouraging telling me to compliment it with regular running. One of the reason I refused to go on medications at my earlier stage was a very negative with a previous doctor who insisted I stop running altogether. That totally turned me off."

Femiao September 6, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "This is a bad drug. My health went down hill from the point that I took this drug. My ankles swollen and legs, feet etc. I had blurry vision, irregular heart beat and just couldn't get and good night sleep for the life of me. Some times nightmares. These all went away once i stop taking this medicine - please stay away from it."

Rondog (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 30, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Side effect is my ankles have swollen up really bad"

Steph (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been on amlodipine-varsartan 10-160 for 5 months. Flushing around knees after 6pm. Cut pill in half and flushing not as bad. Swollen ankles in the evening. Frequent trips to the bathroom at night. BP best it has ever been. Muscle cramps out of the blue around stomach or back. Just tolerate it. Will follow up with doctor on labs next dr. visit. Female age 59. Suffering from BP since 2002 tried Lisinopril, norvasc, Bystolic these never lowered my blood pressure."

Margo (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I have end stage renal disease, I’ve been on dialysis for 13 years. I am 29 years old man. For me Norvasc 2x5 mg is the best medication, when I was 17 I had a BP of 225/110 Hgmm and with this med since I take my BP is 115-140/75-80 and my pulse is good as well. No other medication works for me, we tried everything out. I only gave this med 8 points, because my gums are swelling and I have to pay a lot for dentist. ( my teeth are good )."

Peter Paul July 23, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "After 10 years of being on this medication I started developing severe pain in my joints. I never thought it was caused by this medication and saw several doctors, had many test all negative they tried many other medication with so many side effects, some even putting me in ER room. After doing a lot of research on line and getting no where with all the doctors three RA doctors and several other types of doctors I was forced to retire as I was unable to walk to far, or lift up my arms as I had so much pain that I was unable to sleep. I found something on line about drug induced lupus. I stopped medication and in 2 days I stop vomiting and by the 5 day most of the joint pain was gone. After a month I was able to lay on my side my hips were not in pain anymore, the sores on my eye lids had stopped,my hands no longer were in pain. This is a terrible medication so be aware if pain starts for no reason. It did damage to my knees because it took over a year to find out what was my problem and all the doctors could not find this"

brians2803 July 23, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Makes me feel weird"

Willymakes me (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "In 2005 my doctor recommended taking Norvasc 4 high blood pressure I only take 5 mg a day and I noted beginning with that time frame I never got another headache again and I had suffered from migraines for 30 years it is now 2018 and I still haven't had one headache not even a minor headache and I can drink beer, alcohol and never nothing causes a headache it's just amazing it's almost a miracle thank you doctor."

Slim (taken for 10 years or more) July 15, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Male, 56 yo. Was having palpitations with lisinopril, so I was switched to 10 mg amlodipine. On 2nd day, had severe reaction (irregular hearbeat, fluctuating BP, lightheaded, etc), ended up in ER. After various tests, docs didn't find anything wrong, but said don't take it anymore. The real fun began later that night. Woke up with severe panic attack that turned into a "bath salts" (recreational drug) episode: compulsively waving arms and pacing the floor, twidding fingers and toes, grunting, and finally depersonalization (watching yourself from outside your body). It subsided after 20+ minutes, but had panic/anxiety attacks every day 2 months after. I never had anxiety issues before. 2 years later, and I still have to be careful, as I can't control anxiety when life gets a bit difficult. I switched back to lisinopril + metoprolol, so my BP is back down, without palps. But I occasionally need to take anti-anxiety meds. Others report similar reactions, which may be why its banned in some countries."

renodino (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been using Amlodipine 5 mg for about 12 years. Recently my pharmacy switched manufacturer's to Lupin Pharmaceuticals located in Mumbai, India. The new tablets are white, octagon shaped and hard. Within a couple of days after taking the new tablets I notice a sharp pain in my right temple. By the seventh day my entire head feels like a snare drum. When I contacted my local pharmacy they explained that they obtain whatever medicine is available from the manufacturer. In this case the manufacturer has been warned more than once about "low quality/poor quality" meds. In a Bloomberg article not too long ago it was published that the [FDA Warns India's Lupin Over Generic Drug Quality Violations]. And yet America continues to do business with this company at the expense of the health of of its citizens. Simply incomprehensible!"

Sharon (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "It's not the pill for everyone. I took this medication for 2 weeks with other high blood pressure (HBP) control medication and it was long enough to show its side effects for me. The first 3 days I felt pressure in the back of my head and later toward the end of first-week I was experiencing occasional shortness of breath and muscle weakness (not tiredness). You don't want any of these side effects if you do have them, talk to your healthcare provider today. My doc took me off this med nonetheless. As for effectiveness: it wasn't able to bring down my diastolic pressure under 95 most of the time but I did manage 85 couple of times. To some it works, others not so much, just like any other medication."

ChronicBPamazon (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I started in Amlodopine about a year ago at 10mg my blood pressure dropped down to 115/70 which made me feel ill, 170/100 was my usual. I do have high anxiety and since starting Amlodopine, I’ve put on weight, constantly swelling in my feet, hands and my eyes. On 5mg, My blood pressure was usually at 130/90 which are good numbers for me where I feel perfect. I cut back the dosage to 5 mg Because of the severe swelling, but lately my blood pressure is somewhere about 145/95 and have found I need to take 5 mg twice a day now. I’m going to try to eliminate Amlodopine and go with the other one hoping there will be less side effects. Amlodopine makes me feel like I have a 90-year-old body with all aches and pains and swelling everywhere. It’s even to the point now where my right foot swells so bad that it makes my foot feel broken and I can’t walk. I was told by the pharmacist that this medication cannot be effective on its own. I’ll see how Losartan works out."

SLP (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 11, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been on Amlodipine for five years. My doctor started me on 2.5mg daily, and just last year bumped me up to 5mg. No side effects. What is especially remarkable is the TIME it takes to have an effect. When first was put on it, it was a month or two before by BP decreased. When it was bumped up, it *again* took a month or two to have any effect. So if you're going on Amlodipine for high BP, BE PATIENT."

Doug (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 10, 2018