User Reviews for Amlodipine

Coronary Artery Disease

1 review 6 medications
Summary of Amlodipine reviews 5.4 322 reviews

Reviews for Amlodipine

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been on amlodipine-varsartan 10-160 for 5 months. Flushing around knees after 6pm. Cut pill in half and flushing not as bad. Swollen ankles in the evening. Frequent trips to the bathroom at night. BP best it has ever been. Muscle cramps out of the blue around stomach or back. Just tolerate it. Will follow up with doctor on labs next dr. visit. Female age 59. Suffering from BP since 2002 tried Lisinopril, norvasc, Bystolic these never lowered my blood pressure."

Margo (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I have end stage renal disease, I’ve been on dialysis for 13 years. I am 29 years old man. For me Norvasc 2x5 mg is the best medication, when I was 17 I had a BP of 225/110 Hgmm and with this med since I take my BP is 115-140/75-80 and my pulse is good as well. No other medication works for me, we tried everything out. I only gave this med 8 points, because my gums are swelling and I have to pay a lot for dentist. ( my teeth are good )."

Peter Paul July 23, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "After 10 years of being on this medication I started developing severe pain in my joints. I never thought it was caused by this medication and saw several doctors, had many test all negative they tried many other medication with so many side effects, some even putting me in ER room. After doing a lot of research on line and getting no where with all the doctors three RA doctors and several other types of doctors I was forced to retire as I was unable to walk to far, or lift up my arms as I had so much pain that I was unable to sleep. I found something on line about drug induced lupus. I stopped medication and in 2 days I stop vomiting and by the 5 day most of the joint pain was gone. After a month I was able to lay on my side my hips were not in pain anymore, the sores on my eye lids had stopped,my hands no longer were in pain. This is a terrible medication so be aware if pain starts for no reason. It did damage to my knees because it took over a year to find out what was my problem and all the doctors could not find this"

brians2803 July 23, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Makes me feel weird"

Willymakes me (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "In 2005 my doctor recommended taking Norvasc 4 high blood pressure I only take 5 mg a day and I noted beginning with that time frame I never got another headache again and I had suffered from migraines for 30 years it is now 2018 and I still haven't had one headache not even a minor headache and I can drink beer, alcohol and never nothing causes a headache it's just amazing it's almost a miracle thank you doctor."

Slim (taken for 10 years or more) July 15, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Male, 56 yo. Was having palpitations with lisinopril, so I was switched to 10 mg amlodipine. On 2nd day, had severe reaction (irregular hearbeat, fluctuating BP, lightheaded, etc), ended up in ER. After various tests, docs didn't find anything wrong, but said don't take it anymore. The real fun began later that night. Woke up with severe panic attack that turned into a "bath salts" (recreational drug) episode: compulsively waving arms and pacing the floor, twidding fingers and toes, grunting, and finally depersonalization (watching yourself from outside your body). It subsided after 20+ minutes, but had panic/anxiety attacks every day 2 months after. I never had anxiety issues before. 2 years later, and I still have to be careful, as I can't control anxiety when life gets a bit difficult. I switched back to lisinopril + metoprolol, so my BP is back down, without palps. But I occasionally need to take anti-anxiety meds. Others report similar reactions, which may be why its banned in some countries."

renodino (taken for less than 1 month) July 10, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been using Amlodipine 5 mg for about 12 years. Recently my pharmacy switched manufacturer's to Lupin Pharmaceuticals located in Mumbai, India. The new tablets are white, octagon shaped and hard. Within a couple of days after taking the new tablets I notice a sharp pain in my right temple. By the seventh day my entire head feels like a snare drum. When I contacted my local pharmacy they explained that they obtain whatever medicine is available from the manufacturer. In this case the manufacturer has been warned more than once about "low quality/poor quality" meds. In a Bloomberg article not too long ago it was published that the [FDA Warns India's Lupin Over Generic Drug Quality Violations]. And yet America continues to do business with this company at the expense of the health of of its citizens. Simply incomprehensible!"

Sharon (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "It's not the pill for everyone. I took this medication for 2 weeks with other high blood pressure (HBP) control medication and it was long enough to show its side effects for me. The first 3 days I felt pressure in the back of my head and later toward the end of first-week I was experiencing occasional shortness of breath and muscle weakness (not tiredness). You don't want any of these side effects if you do have them, talk to your healthcare provider today. My doc took me off this med nonetheless. As for effectiveness: it wasn't able to bring down my diastolic pressure under 95 most of the time but I did manage 85 couple of times. To some it works, others not so much, just like any other medication."

ChronicBPamazon (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I started in Amlodopine about a year ago at 10mg my blood pressure dropped down to 115/70 which made me feel ill, 170/100 was my usual. I do have high anxiety and since starting Amlodopine, I’ve put on weight, constantly swelling in my feet, hands and my eyes. On 5mg, My blood pressure was usually at 130/90 which are good numbers for me where I feel perfect. I cut back the dosage to 5 mg Because of the severe swelling, but lately my blood pressure is somewhere about 145/95 and have found I need to take 5 mg twice a day now. I’m going to try to eliminate Amlodopine and go with the other one hoping there will be less side effects. Amlodopine makes me feel like I have a 90-year-old body with all aches and pains and swelling everywhere. It’s even to the point now where my right foot swells so bad that it makes my foot feel broken and I can’t walk. I was told by the pharmacist that this medication cannot be effective on its own. I’ll see how Losartan works out."

SLP (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 11, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been on Amlodipine for five years. My doctor started me on 2.5mg daily, and just last year bumped me up to 5mg. No side effects. What is especially remarkable is the TIME it takes to have an effect. When first was put on it, it was a month or two before by BP decreased. When it was bumped up, it *again* took a month or two to have any effect. So if you're going on Amlodipine for high BP, BE PATIENT."

Doug (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 10, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I got prescribed Amlopidine for high blood pressure. However, for years beforehand I had suffered with terrible migraines at a weekly-(ish) frequency. They were crippling, affected my vision, and they would often last for 1-3 days at a time. Anyhow, as my BP had been slightly raised consistently, and as my family have a history of hypertension, my current doctor suggested I take Amlopidine. I had been reluctant to take it as he'd said once on them I should take for the rest of my life. After 3 months of taking them, however, I realized that I hadn't had a migraine for a while. 6 months further on ... still no migraine. Amazing! I mentioned this to my doctor who then told me that Amlopidine was being used in the treatment of migraines. Well - it works - What a blessing - it's been liberating! I hope it continues to work."

Kettle (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 5, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I am a normally healthy 67 year old female and a retired nurse. In mid April I was diagnosed with hypertension. 180/103. I saw the Dr due to extreme headache and after I took my BP at home I was shocked. He started me on Amolodipine 5mg. It worked well but last Wednesday I noticed slight swelling in my ankles. I knew it could be a side effect, so I wasn't too concerned. Then by the next day the swelling had increased and I could barely shuffle. By Friday AM the pain had spread to my knees and I saw the PA at my Dr office. He diagnosed me with Acute Poly Inflammatory Arthritis. I had chills and slight temperature. I went home thinking what the heck and why. By Saturday Morning I was in so much pain I could not walk. The swelling had spread to my knees and the pain to my wrist and finger joints. I called the on call MD. He told me to stop the Amlodipine and started me on Prednisone and wanted me to start Metroprolol."

Nem (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been taking Amlodipine for about 15 years or so. I'm in my mid 50's Guess it must be working well for me. I'm on 10mg, I do have the occasional persistent coughing. No other problems that I'm aware of. I would say I'm about 40 lbs overweight. BP has been pretty good overall These was a time it was a bit elevated, just before I went from 5mg to 10mg about 5 or 6 years ago. All drugs have side effects, these have not been bad. I just keep my water handy, in case I get dry or cough. I also drink at least a gallon of water a day. I believe this helps my overall health."

Joe C (taken for 10 years or more) May 21, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I suffered from migraine for most of my adult life and was out sick several days a year because of this. I had all the usual symptoms of light sensitivity, pain on one side (occasionally shifting to the other), nausea, and vertigo once. Eventually, I developed high blood pressure and was given Norvasc. The migraines stopped immediately and I have not had a headache of any sort for decades. I currently take the generic form of this medication with equal benefit."

David (taken for 10 years or more) May 18, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking Amlopidine for about 2 years. I've had ups & downs with it. I got a new refill about 15 days ago, dizziness was getting worst everyday. Mothers day weekend I was stricken to bed with deep down in the dumps feeling & very low energy. I picked up a lower dose today 5 mgs. I pray this batch does not make me sick."

Georgia Girl 2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 15, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I started experiencing Hypertension about 20 years ago despite healthy eating and physical conditioning. My latest "prescription" was Amlodopine in addition to Lisinipril. I started noticing one of them having a sweet taste on my tongue . I got curious because I always stop by a BP machine and keep tabs on it , especially if I feel symptoms. Long story short, I took back control of how I treated my one and only ailment. I started taking the meds every other day and joined a gym. I actually feel just as good and for the most part BETTER."

Gene M. May 12, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been on amlodpine 5mg my I have been having the side effects of pain on waist, light headed, back pain, neck pain, numbness, abdominal ache, but it normalize my VP to 120/80 at times 114/75 my Doctor reduce it to 2.5 my but I'm still having those side effects"

Yahayaao (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 9, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "AMLODIPINE... For as long as I can remember I suffered from headaches. Over the years this increased to every day. Nothing worked I truly wanted to die at times. My life seemed to be based around headaches. Then I was diagnosed with high BP. I was tried on numerous BP tablets but one gave me real bad cramp and the next made my headaches worse. I truly had enough of life at this point as it seemed I was having headaches almost all day, every day. I’d go to bed with one and wake up with one. Then I was put in AMLODIPINE and what a miracle for me. Not a headache since. I am so relieved and so happy. I have my life back. I am on 5mg daily."

Jamidee.33 May 9, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been taking it for 2 years now and have come to the conclusion the Amlodipine is the reason for my severe muscular and joint pain. Since starting this medication, I now can hardly walk and need the assistance of a cane. It's just not worth living in pain to get a blood pressure reading near the normal range. I'm willing to live with a higher BP reading with less pain. I stopped taking this medication today."

Georgia Girl (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 3, 2018

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "I have been off and on blood pressure meds for years now. My blood pressure is borderline high from anxiety 135:86 usually, but when I get real anxious it goes way up to about 150/110. I have tried lisinopril in the past with the best results. This time around my doctor tried me on norvasc 5mg. As soon as I started taking it my blood pressure went up, my feet and ankles swelled and I got headaches. I also had a bad panic attack and my blood pressure went sky high. It didn’t control it whatsoever. I haven’t taken it today or yesterday so I went to the grocery to take my bp to see what it was. My kids were fighting so I assumed it was going to be high and it was actually better than it’s been in a few weeks. Don’t recommend this medication. I also get migraines and this is supposed to prevent them as well and it made my head hurt."

Homegrownohio (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I have read most all the comments. I'm so sorry for you people who continue to have problems & are scared from side affects. I am glad to say if I had any side affects I didn't know it. I've taken amlodipine for about 6 years with BP not stable some of the time, around 140/90. I lost about 25lbs & my life changed for the better. My BP went down to 116/65 in this area, I take atorvastatin for cholesterol for 10 years, may not even need it now, I'm 64 & have a pace maker for an electrical problem from brain to heart, I also take hydrochlorathiazide which has a diuretic in it. I have nothing bad to say about these meds. I'm hanging in there & I must say, the most help I got was diet & LOSING WEIGHT!!! Help yourself & push away from the table the 1st. time you belch or burp deep when eating, THAT's the time to stop eating, you don't have to feel filled up after a meal, just nutrition & a decent meal, cut them portions!!!"

udden (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 27, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I'm a 58yr old Male with high blood pressure that was detected after urinary infection. I have been taking 10mg amlodipine for 7 months. BP back in normal range, only side effect is a dry mouth at night. Pretty happy with it."

Porcgi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 20, 2018

For Raynaud's Syndrome: "Been prescribed 2.5 mg tab for Raynaud's due to reflex sympathetic dystrophy. I don't feel that it's made a difference, apparently I could be on a higher dose, I'll talk to physician about."

Steveroni (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I've taken Amlodipine since 2007. Apart from swollen feet which was controlled with a diuretic, I have had no side effects. Recently I was able to halve my dose from 10 mgs to 5 mgs. Very happy with the drug, my BP was sky high and is now a steady 135 over 70 and has been fir years. I am sixty five."

Nelly (taken for 10 years or more) March 5, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Taken 5 mg of generic Amlodipine twice a day. Zydus 5mg. imprint 'Z3' a small pill and perhaps the best of the calcium channel blocker, I used it for 2 years, no problems or reactions. Then it was recalled/unavailable. I was switched to Epic brand, some initial side effects, like sweating in not hot weather, tiredness, dizziness. When that was unavailable, pharmacy switched me to pills with the imprint 'IG'/'238' and again initial sweats, but fine for 4 months, then not available. Was switched to imprint '210' pills, make my bp go higher, when stopped, it went higher still. On (3/3/18) got Cipla, imprint 'C'/'127'. I hate pharmacies switching brands every month to save 3 cents, or brands that discontinue a pill to merge/buy out another firm, and we lose a good pill when lines merged. No two pills have the same bio-activity, bio-absorption, added fillers, or negative side effects. Yet doctors & pharmacists consider them all 'equivalent' - Phooey & Double Phooey!!!"

stevenel57 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 3, 2018