User Reviews for Amlodipine

Also known as: Norvasc

Learn more about Amlodipine.

Migraine Prevention 27 reviews 30 medications

Heart Failure 1 reviews 118 medications

Raynaud's Syndrome 4 reviews 48 medications

6.8
High Blood Pressure 205 reviews 264 medications

Coronary Artery Disease 1 reviews 6 medications

Summary of Amlodipine reviews 238 reviews 5.8

Reviews for Amlodipine

For High Blood Pressure: "This pill is absolute POISON!!! I only took it for a week and a half and ended up in the emergency room! I had a fast heart beat and pulse, tight chest with pain, an extreme anxiety feeling, kidney pain, and my left arm was numb on and off and generally felt out of it and zombie like!! Before I got fear mongered into taking it I was COMPLETELY NORMAL!!!! I have been trying to get back to normal ever since the ER trip when I got off this poison pill! There is NO accountability for these drug companies!! Do not trust these doctors they are drug dealers for the pharmaceutical companies and they don't care what happens to you!!! Do NOT take this poison!!"

Amlodipine is poison (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For High Blood Pressure: "I don't react well to blood pressure meds. Quick story: I'm 24, Female, overweight (but working on it now) and haven't had an issues with health at all until 3 weeks ago. My norm BP before this issues were around 125/76 (I work at the hospital, I check it often) 3 weeks ago I had chest pains and went to the ER and my BP was 160/103 and ever since Its been about 145/100 with meds when I wake up daily. I started off on Metoprolol (I think its called) it helped lower my BP a little going down to 135/85 but the side effects were HORRIBLE. I felt like a zombie, I couldn't focus and almost got into a car accident, My chest pains would come back, I had tingling in my legs right arm and jaw, and eye twitching and spasms. My BP would shoot up."

Nicole -Phoenix, AZ (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For High Blood Pressure: "I wake up at night with severe cramps. I never had a cramp in my life until I started taking this medicine. The frequency of cramps is about 3 to 4 times per week, minimum. The cramp is so bad sometimes that I start on a cold sweat. I will ask my Doctor to change medicine."

Tamacun (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For High Blood Pressure: "Hello everyone! I am now 35 years old, and it has almost been seven years since I started taking Amlodipine Besylate. I am still on the same dose of 5mgs daily since 2011. My BP is 125/72, but I have put on 60 lbs in the last two years. I do suffer from Graves Disease of the Thyroid. This is not related to the medication. The point is, when I got down to 114 lbs, I actually stopped taking Amlodipine; my bp was normal. The weight loss was due to Graves Disease ( Hyperthyroidism). Then I had radiation treatment, gained weight now my bp is elevated again. I now started taking Amlodipine Besylate again, same dose since 2011. The only side effect I noticed is it makes me somewhat hypervigilant, but nothing to be concerned about."

TMT82 (taken for 10 years or more) February 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For High Blood Pressure: "I've taken both Norvasc and it's generic, amlodopine. I am taking amlodopine 10mg now. No side effects, just does what it does, and I love it. Just wish it did all of it. It only brings it down to around 160/90- down from 230/150. Too bad I can't just take more. Everything we've tried to add, headaches and headaches, and aches and pains. I don't get symptoms from from my BP. More like a rush, if anything. Why would take something that makes me feel that way? Quality of life, you know? I'm a 50 year old woman in reasonably decent health but for this"

pmbourque February 14, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For High Blood Pressure: "I've had high bp, in the 140-160/90-100 range for a number of years, stubbornly refusing to take medication, as I eat a healthy, low-salt diet, and exercise regularly. However, the high numbers persisted, and my current doctor told me I need to take something. She gave me this, at 10mg a day, and I reluctantly tried it. Well, to my amazement, my numbers were down to the 120/80 range almost immediately, with zero side effects! And that I get it free at the local Public, only makes it better. I also found that my chronic shortness of breath vanished, except occasionally, and I felt "normal" again! Like I had been living at far less than at optimal level, and now I was back...."

StevenCee (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For High Blood Pressure: "you get use to it... lowers my BP and eliminated my ongoing headaches after 15 years... my feet hurt a little but over all really glad I decided to try it. I take 5mg a day."

Dave Canada 2017 February 12, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For High Blood Pressure: "63 year old female with hypertension, I have been on Atacand 8-16 mg for about 8 years. A doctor I have never seen before put me on this to start 2.5 mg each day and take with the Atacand. I have been taking it for about 6 weeks and after reading about all the side effects which I have some of, extreme tired, flushes, sweating, dizziness, tingling in soles of feet, arms and fingers, weakness, headaches and irritable. I feel spaced out and terrible and I am not taking it anymore and I am going to go back and see my normal doctor. I am annoyed that the doctor who put me on this did not warm me about the side effects!"

Flanno (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For High Blood Pressure: "Started on the Amlopidine 3 months ago. Bp was 150/74 at Dr.'s. Now it goes to 145 about 1 time in afternoon, but goes down to 99/58 every once and a while, causing me spaced out feeling. I've had terrible headaches all this week, dizziness, cough. Can't drive.. I am getting off this, because I felt much better before. I had just retired when I started this med. Was totally independent, now stuck at home."

Anddie (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For High Blood Pressure: "Have been taking Amlodipine for 4 days now. After first day felt fine, second day had a panic attack on the train to work, shook me to the core and haven't felt right since. Fluttering heartbeat, feeling nervous and anxious for no reason, feeling like I'm not totally in my body or in the moment. Woke up at 4am and had a mild panic attack and couldn't sleep for another hour. Ringing in ears and tingling fingers and toes. Taking this with perindopril combi 5mg, have NEVER had any adverse reaction to previous blood pressure medication. I'm so scared to keep taking this medication, thought I was imagining things until I researched and found many, many others similar and worse reactions. Have scheduled doctor appointment to change meds. I'm 20&F"

Sam96 (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For High Blood Pressure: "Amlodipine besylate 5mg is soooooo EVIL. IF I had known about this medication before I started taking it. I WOULD HAVE NEVER AGREED TO GET IT. This medicine makes you feel like you're having a heart attack and stroke. Trying to stop taking this medication is like you feel like you have an addiction. It's like the medication tries to FORCE YOU to take it because of the harsh side effects. I had to basically dumped the medication down my garbage disposal. For 5 days I felt HORRIBLE. I felt throbbing sensation around my jaw. The pressure moved down to my neck. It felt like someone was squeezing my neck. Also I felt tingling sensation in both arms. I immediately told my doctor I can't take this medication anymore."

DD Smith January 3, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For High Blood Pressure: "Today was the first day of taking the drug. It started to kick in about an hour after taking it. It seemed to do a good job of lowering my BP... however, as many of the comments above it makes you feel zombie-like. When I attempted to go to sleep I laid in bed for 8 hours straight without ever falling asleep. There was one moment when I almost fell asleep, however, I ended up jumping up and gasping for air... I do believe I will not be taking this drug the next day.. or ever again! Based on my normal sleep, I would've passed out within the first 1-2 hours of trying to sleep and this drug just kept my minding going all night long. This is based on a 5mg dose. My blood pressure the day I went to the doctor was 150/120. Good Luck All..."

30 Year Old Male December 30, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine Prevention: "Prescribed for BP but also nearly eliminated migraines. I started having migraines 13 years ago and high BP 1 year ago. My first BP prescription was 5-10mg amlodipine daily. It lowered my BP and *almost* more importantly nearly eliminated all migraines (from previous 2-3 per month to a few for the year of which none were severe enough to require real migraine medications). I believe amlodipine has also expanded and intensified whatever fatigue I might normally experience, but *for me* that is an acceptable tradeoff (yes, fatigue can be limiting, but migraines are limiting and excruciatingly painful). I can see where a person taking amlodipine only for BP might be unhappy with the side effects, but the migraines are far far worse."

David66 December 29, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine Prevention: "Using 5mg since 8 months. It prevents me from severe pain in the base of my skull (perhaps occipital neuralgia). The important point to be noted in my case is the timing of taking the medicine. I mostly get the pains in early morning while in deep sleep. Before taking this med, I would wake up in severe pain that would last until I take a painkiller. Than I started taking amlodipine 5mg at night. However, I need to take the medicine about 10~12 hours before the onset of the pain. If I am late, I would get the pain on the same time in morning in spite of taking the pill. However, in such case, the pain gradually diminishes as the time approaches to the required time. Looking forward to hear from those suffering from similar conditions."

Ednaun (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 5, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "The medicine works rapidly and the 5mg daily dosage is still effective for me after several years of treatment. There's only been a few occasions that I've experienced any side effects after the first few initial doses of medicine. The one I experienced most was sleepiness. Otherwise, I take one pill every evening at bedtime and I'm fine until the next dose."

Nille (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 24, 2016

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Migraine Prevention: "Started taking amlodipine 5 mg for high blood pressure and to my delight it has reduced my migraines to about once a month instead of 3-4 per week! I have been on other meds for high BP but they did not lessen my migraines (verapamil, lisonpril, bystolic to name a few). I am so happy this drug has helped with my migraines. I had given up hope on finding a migraine preventative. To fellow migraine sufferers: Keep trying different high BP meds until you find one that works for you."

Faerychica (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For High Blood Pressure: "One month used of amlodipine"

Anonymous November 4, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For High Blood Pressure: "I developed a chronic cough.....could this be a side effect of this medicine?"

Donotknow November 4, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "Awful drug run !!!! Where do I begin? I was prescribed Amplodipine benzalate 10mg to either take a 10mg pill a day i could break in half Muscle weakness and muscle depletion its like acid that eats your muscles and makes the skin crawl literally ... You can feel the pulses pound in your ankles Fire in stomach then chills all over the body Labored breathing Wheezing coughing conjestion caused me to get bronchitis which Ive never had in my life ... Drowning feeling in chest and lungs Weakness tingling in head thougt I was having a stroke Tingling in toes and fingers extreme coldness ... Cramping anxiety fatigue makes you feel your in another world or are just there... Thought I was dying felt like organs were shutting down. Run folks"

Anonymous Bob (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 28, 2016

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For High Blood Pressure: "Started amlodipine after stopping lisinopril due to throat swelling after taking for one year. Amlodipine took 5 days to begin working on lowering my blood pressure after introduction. My dosage was 5mg once daily. It didn't lower my blood pressure very much. Went from 165/111 to 145/100 in 5 days. Side effects included: Very sore arms and legs Lower legs felt sore and full of blood (heavy) Facial flishing Profucious sweating from feet and hands Headaches Notable lack of energy and sleepiness , nervousness I recommend using this drug ONLY if it's your last resort and you don't need an immediate drop in blood pressure. Remember everyone is different this may work well for you. Long walks seemed to help with the sore legs."

Male 35 fit hypertensive (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For High Blood Pressure: "I was just prescribed Norvasc, for my high blood pressure. I've always had low blood pressure, but my Rheumatoid Arthritis Doc put me on prednisone and the result was high blood pressure. Hence, Norvasc. I was prescribed 5 mg., and the first day of taking it, and every day since, I have had major heart palpitations. Not a nice feeling. I also feel WIRED. So far, not liking this medication at all! Why do medications, to treat illness and symptoms, bring an entirely new set of problems?"

Schnooz1 (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For High Blood Pressure: "No other heart issues...but unknown reason for high BP. This med made my feet and hands swell. Also couldn't get to sleep at nite and during the day felt too alert."

Just High BP October 16, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For High Blood Pressure: "I was taking amlodopine for high blood pressure and I had bad side affects which were blood in urine psychotic bad temper feeling sick all the time bringing up mucous feeling dizzy."

degos (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For High Blood Pressure: "I hate the way this drug makes me feel!! I feel like I am spaced out all the time, and have no energy! When I am off it, I feel wonderful, but then the same symptoms come back if I start taking it again!! What else is out there that works to lower blood pressure!! I can stand feeling this way anymore! I want my life back! I am on 10 m/g. I feel like a zombie! Help!"

Burky (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 25, 2016

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Norvasc (amlodipine) for High Blood Pressure: "This blood pressure med makes me feel spacey, like I'm not here! Makes my body weak where it feels like my own legs can't carry me!! I hate the way it makes me feel!!"

Burky (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 23, 2016