User Reviews for Valsartan

Also known as: Diovan

Learn more about Valsartan.

Left Ventricular Dysfunction 2 reviews 15 medications

9.5
High Blood Pressure 84 reviews 263 medications

6.3
Summary of Valsartan reviews 86 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Valsartan

For High Blood Pressure: "Was on Tekturna for many years. Switched to Valsartan because my numbers were creeping up. Used to cough on Tekturna a lot. No more. I'm 116/65 now and my wife is also very pleased with the fact that there are no negative side effects that would impact her enjoyment of life."

Doogie67 August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I took Lisinopril for about a year and a half. I coughed so bad all the time I could not stand it any longer. Stopped up head and hard to breathe. My doctor changed me to Diovan 160mg and I have been on it for 2 months now and my head has cleared and my cough is completely gone. My blood pressure has been in the. 110's over 60's. So far I am very happy with Diovan!!!"

Bigbob65 August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I started on lisinprol and was sick all the time. Awful cough, nausea and agitated took for a month. New Dr. switched me to Valsartan and I feel fantastic. The lisinprol cough seems to be almost gone and I haven't felt nauseous one time. Very happy "

Kjd17 June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Been on valsartan for over year. Had several side effects...cough, lethargic, and muscle weakness when walking for 5 minutes. Dr was unhappy with my pressure last few visits so Dr added HCTZ to valsartan. My symptoms now include higher blood sugar....30 to 50 more points average daily on my morning testing. My A1C went from 6.1 to 6.6 . When I had my 3 month blood test. All I do is cough and wheeze. chest x-ray shows clear lungs. Tired of taking more meds to relieve symptoms. Feel like I'm not crazy after reading the comments of others."

Carrie C June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Shortly after beginning Diovan, I started coughing, and it just never stopped. Little by little, it increased to the point, that I just couldn't take it anymore. I still have a lingering cough, but not as bad as when I stopped. I am hoping it will stop completely with time. I wish I had known it was a common side affect before I started using it. Now I am afraid to take a different med for high blood pressure, until I research it thoroughly."

Bobby Jo Marie May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I started valsartan a month ago. I am experiencing, hair loss, Bodyaches, heart palpitations, my head throbs, anxiety, but that could be from My heart racing at times. (Which is something that has never happened to me until I was put on this medicine). It seems like my vision is blurry at times. My blood pressure runs about 135/85. Although some days I check it and it's all over the place. My face also is flush since starting this medication."

Sweetie2017 May 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I take Valsartan 80mg once a day for BP but BP is never stable. It lowers the BP but sometimes it's as if I haven't had any BP medication. Along with this, there are an awful lot of strange sensations throughout the day. I've been taking it for 3 months now. Side effects: from feelings of tightness, palpitations to lightheadness and right side of abdomen flushing pains."

Fairchao May 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking this drugs for a few months and started to fee off after 3 months . I have been increasing my exercise routine because I have been gaining weight and yet did not really alter my diet . I gained all the weight in the belly . My liver enzymes have changed and also I developed a skin rash on my thighs and have been feeling a tingling sensation in both arms at night to the point that I would wake up several times a night . I have decided on my own to discontinue and will talk to my doctor about it ."

Marienyc1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "From day one really bad headaches, lethargic, vomiting, diarrhea, confusion Tired no energy, really bad skin rash, Throat closing up, trouble sleeping. All around bad medication, joints aching Itchy eyes only took medication four days."

Myself sun March 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Took for 2 weeks OK, then suddenly hit me like a ton of bricks. Tingling sensation all over body, night leg cramps. I was on the generic, then had the pharmacy switch to the name brand ($274). The name brand seems stronger, as when I take it, 3 hours later, I get a tingling all over my body. I will stop taking this until the effects go away and try again."

jim0523 (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "My experience with Valsartan was terrible muscle stiffness, joint pain, chronic cough, vision changes, painful stiffness in my neck and shoulder I felt terrible every day. I will never take this medicine nor recomended to anyone. I went back to Diovan is more expense but it works."

Grace Castillo (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Been on diovan for at least three years, suffering many side effects: muscle pain, sudden hairloss and thinning, as well as intermittent tingling on the back of my head. I have also had weight gain, problems with blood sugar and loss of erections. I still have sexual desire but my erections aren't adequate. I have pain in my stomach which is increasing with time, sometimes kind of burning like an ulcer and coldness in my feet. I have also started developing small lumps of fat under my skin and marks on my skin resembling age spots but are not. The pills are not having as good an effect on my blood pressure anymore. It went way up. I just don't know what medicine to switch to."

Unhappycustomer December 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been in valsartan a couple years. After gallbladder surgery my blood pressure went high 190/ 90. Since then I have been having ups and downs. I lost 10 lbs, I had two near syncopal episodes back to back. Was monitored in ER for 12 hrs was told vasovagal episode, heart BP fine. Second time admitted all tests fineBP was ok except prior to stress test got to 200/70. 200/100. Since then had another episiode took 160mg in am by evening climbed higher and higher to 190/87. Saw PCP doesn't think it's valsartan. Yesterday took 1/2 valsartan because day before BP fine at 120/70s went shopping, by 4pm could feel it going up, took 1/4 tab waited 2?hrs took another 1/4 it kept up 16070. Took another 1/2 tab and tried to go to sleep heart beating."

Liile Ann November 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking a little over a week & am stopping. My stomach feels upset my joints are painful & I constantly feel lightheaded."

Myrtle1956 November 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I might as well take sugar pills. This is the second generic brand of blood pressure medications I have been given since being forced to go off the name brand Diovan prescribed by my doctor. The first generic worked although not as well as the name brand. This one, Mylan, does not work at all. My blood pressure is the highest it's been since I went on blood pressure medication over 22 years ago! Not acceptable at all. Normally with the name brand it ran around 124 over 70 in the afternoon, with the first generic brand it ran about 130 over 75. With Mylan Valsartin it runs 155 to 163 over 83 to 90 in the afternoon!!!"

Amberblu (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I was prescribed Valsartan (generic of Diovan) 80 mg, plus Metoprolol ER 25 mg. I've been taking these for about 6 months, during which time I've had muscle stiffness, joint pain, decreased urine flow, cough, vision changes, and some of the other listed side effects. I stopped Valsartan a week ago , and stopped Metoprolol 3 days ago. The past two days, I've never felt better and my blood pressure is about the same as it was on the drugs. Not ideal yet but not in the danger zone. Both of these drugs have many of the same side effects and both generic. C-Span televised a hearing not long about about generic drugs, and I learned that most of them are now made in China and India."

Fairly (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I've been on Diovan, and labetalol. 2 wks ago my bp bottomed out. Hospital took me off labetalol, and cut my Diovan to 160mg. Stayed 190's over 120's to 130's. I put myself back to 320mg. It is now starting to come down."

Cher56 April 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I'm 51 & hav been using Diovan Hct 80-12.5 for 5months to cntrll high bp.. The medcn did wrk to regulate my bp keep'n it at 120's/ 80's. I started xperienc'n painful stiffnss in my neck & shoulders, nausea. I decided to wean myslf off the meds & to do this I knw I had to chng my diet & xercise more. First thing to go was soda! I also strtd eating raw garlic '4 cloves' daily (garlic hlps to lowr bp along with othr awesome benefits), I only drnk lemon watr, & 8 ounce of V8 low sodium Veggie Juice Daily- Plenty of fruit & veggies DAILY (avocado, bananas, oranges, blackberries, spinach, kale, sweet potatoes, almonds) I selected these to provid nutrients need'd.. 5 weeks in & BP has maintained!, I feel fabulous & I'm dwn to 1 tablet a week-"

FMB April 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I had taken Diovan for several years to control my blood pressure with no issues. About 6 months ago the drug store substituted Valsartan for the Diovan. I have had a severe chronic cough since January. A pharmacist friend of mine had mentioned that she has had 3 patients this past winter who were taking Valsartan complain of the onset of a chronic cough. I am asking my doctor for a new prescription tomorrow for Diovan ONLY. One case I would say is coincidence, but I am the fourth case. I have been debilitated by this nagging cough. I would be interested to know if others suffer this same side effect ."

NanPic March 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "80 mg valsartan is the 1st BP med I have ever taken. After taking my second pill I developed an extremely severe headache in the front of my face. It subsided the next day but did not go away completely. After the 5th pill I experienced pain in my hips, knees, and fingers that woke me up constantly during the night. I took another pill the next morning. That evening I developed a severe rash on my face right across the areas where I had my headache. Did not take another pill after that, but still have a headache after not being on it for a week. My BP was 148/83 and never really saw much of a difference being on the pill for such a short period of time. Valsartan made me feel very unwell!"

Kacer March 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I was recently switched to a BP control regimen of Diovan and Concur (bisoprolol) and for the first time in 20 yeqrs, my BP is under control. It used to run in the mid 140s to mid 150s / hi 80s to hi 90s. Now is has stabilized to mid 120s to mid 130s / mid 70s to mid 80s. I couldn't be happier and I have no side effects."

philster (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Started diovan 160 mg today, after being on Norvasc 5mg for awhile, diovan dropped my blood pressure from 177/93 to 128/71. But while on diovan I literally felt like crap. I was weak, had shortness of breath, my legs hurt when walking dogs. Just felt terrible. Will call dr tomorrow and let him know."

kim46343 (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I was on Diovan five years ago for high blood pressure and had been taking it for about two years when I woke up one morning and felt so sick and weak that I could not walk. I happened to be in hospital at the time and they discovered that my potassium and blood pressure had dropped significantly. They stopped the Diovan and two days later I was back to normal. However, my blood pressure is above the recommended levels and the local doctor put me back on Diovan about six weeks ago and this week I got the weakness back plus muscle aches, severe, so I stopped Diovan two days ago and so far I still have all the bad side effects, but hoping they will go away soon. A visit to the doctor is on the cards."

Hotto January 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "It gave horrible stiffness in the back of my neck leading down to my spine. And I couldn't turn my head. The pain became on a scale of one to ten, a10 at times . I thought I was having a stroke...."

D.Howard January 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "When I took Diovan with HCTZ, it took a couple of weeks to get my blood pressure down to 125/80. I am an active 61 year old male that plays tennis and walks 40 minutes a day. Then my health plan would only cover the generic valsartan with HCTZ. It was fine. Lately, my valsartan was made by a generic manufacturer McLeod's. All of a sudden my blood pressure shot up to 180/100. I now have to take 5 mg. amlodipine to get my blood pressure normal."

William M (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 21, 2015