User Reviews for Valsartan

Also known as: Diovan

Learn more about Valsartan.

Left Ventricular Dysfunction 2 reviews 15 medications

9.5
High Blood Pressure 77 reviews 264 medications

6.3
Summary of Valsartan reviews 79 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Valsartan

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking this drugs for a few months and started to fee off after 3 months . I have been increasing my exercise routine because I have been gaining weight and yet did not really alter my diet . I gained all the weight in the belly . My liver enzymes have changed and also I developed a skin rash on my thighs and have been feeling a tingling sensation in both arms at night to the point that I would wake up several times a night . I have decided on my own to discontinue and will talk to my doctor about it ."

Marienyc1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "From day one really bad headaches, lethargic, vomiting, diarrhea, confusion Tired no energy, really bad skin rash, Throat closing up, trouble sleeping. All around bad medication, joints aching Itchy eyes only took medication four days."

Myself sun March 7, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Took for 2 weeks OK, then suddenly hit me like a ton of bricks. Tingling sensation all over body, night leg cramps. I was on the generic, then had the pharmacy switch to the name brand ($274). The name brand seems stronger, as when I take it, 3 hours later, I get a tingling all over my body. I will stop taking this until the effects go away and try again."

jim0523 (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "My experience with Valsartan was terrible muscle stiffness, joint pain, chronic cough, vision changes, painful stiffness in my neck and shoulder I felt terrible every day. I will never take this medicine nor recomended to anyone. I went back to Diovan is more expense but it works."

Grace Castillo (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 26, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Been on diovan for at least three years, suffering many side effects: muscle pain, sudden hairloss and thinning, as well as intermittent tingling on the back of my head. I have also had weight gain, problems with blood sugar and loss of erections. I still have sexual desire but my erections aren't adequate. I have pain in my stomach which is increasing with time, sometimes kind of burning like an ulcer and coldness in my feet. I have also started developing small lumps of fat under my skin and marks on my skin resembling age spots but are not. The pills are not having as good an effect on my blood pressure anymore. It went way up. I just don't know what medicine to switch to."

Unhappycustomer December 31, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been in valsartan a couple years. After gallbladder surgery my blood pressure went high 190/ 90. Since then I have been having ups and downs. I lost 10 lbs, I had two near syncopal episodes back to back. Was monitored in ER for 12 hrs was told vasovagal episode, heart BP fine. Second time admitted all tests fineBP was ok except prior to stress test got to 200/70. 200/100. Since then had another episiode took 160mg in am by evening climbed higher and higher to 190/87. Saw PCP doesn't think it's valsartan. Yesterday took 1/2 valsartan because day before BP fine at 120/70s went shopping, by 4pm could feel it going up, took 1/4 tab waited 2?hrs took another 1/4 it kept up 16070. Took another 1/2 tab and tried to go to sleep heart beating."

Liile Ann November 27, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking a little over a week & am stopping. My stomach feels upset my joints are painful & I constantly feel lightheaded."

Myrtle1956 November 24, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I might as well take sugar pills. This is the second generic brand of blood pressure medications I have been given since being forced to go off the name brand Diovan prescribed by my doctor. The first generic worked although not as well as the name brand. This one, Mylan, does not work at all. My blood pressure is the highest it's been since I went on blood pressure medication over 22 years ago! Not acceptable at all. Normally with the name brand it ran around 124 over 70 in the afternoon, with the first generic brand it ran about 130 over 75. With Mylan Valsartin it runs 155 to 163 over 83 to 90 in the afternoon!!!"

Amberblu (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I was prescribed Valsartan (generic of Diovan) 80 mg, plus Metoprolol ER 25 mg. I've been taking these for about 6 months, during which time I've had muscle stiffness, joint pain, decreased urine flow, cough, vision changes, and some of the other listed side effects. I stopped Valsartan a week ago , and stopped Metoprolol 3 days ago. The past two days, I've never felt better and my blood pressure is about the same as it was on the drugs. Not ideal yet but not in the danger zone. Both of these drugs have many of the same side effects and both generic. C-Span televised a hearing not long about about generic drugs, and I learned that most of them are now made in China and India."

Fairly (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I've been on Diovan, and labetalol. 2 wks ago my bp bottomed out. Hospital took me off labetalol, and cut my Diovan to 160mg. Stayed 190's over 120's to 130's. I put myself back to 320mg. It is now starting to come down."

Cher56 April 23, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I'm 51 & hav been using Diovan Hct 80-12.5 for 5months to cntrll high bp.. The medcn did wrk to regulate my bp keep'n it at 120's/ 80's. I started xperienc'n painful stiffnss in my neck & shoulders, nausea. I decided to wean myslf off the meds & to do this I knw I had to chng my diet & xercise more. First thing to go was soda! I also strtd eating raw garlic '4 cloves' daily (garlic hlps to lowr bp along with othr awesome benefits), I only drnk lemon watr, & 8 ounce of V8 low sodium Veggie Juice Daily- Plenty of fruit & veggies DAILY (avocado, bananas, oranges, blackberries, spinach, kale, sweet potatoes, almonds) I selected these to provid nutrients need'd.. 5 weeks in & BP has maintained!, I feel fabulous & I'm dwn to 1 tablet a week-"

FMB April 22, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I had taken Diovan for several years to control my blood pressure with no issues. About 6 months ago the drug store substituted Valsartan for the Diovan. I have had a severe chronic cough since January. A pharmacist friend of mine had mentioned that she has had 3 patients this past winter who were taking Valsartan complain of the onset of a chronic cough. I am asking my doctor for a new prescription tomorrow for Diovan ONLY. One case I would say is coincidence, but I am the fourth case. I have been debilitated by this nagging cough. I would be interested to know if others suffer this same side effect ."

NanPic March 28, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "80 mg valsartan is the 1st BP med I have ever taken. After taking my second pill I developed an extremely severe headache in the front of my face. It subsided the next day but did not go away completely. After the 5th pill I experienced pain in my hips, knees, and fingers that woke me up constantly during the night. I took another pill the next morning. That evening I developed a severe rash on my face right across the areas where I had my headache. Did not take another pill after that, but still have a headache after not being on it for a week. My BP was 148/83 and never really saw much of a difference being on the pill for such a short period of time. Valsartan made me feel very unwell!"

Kacer March 26, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I was recently switched to a BP control regimen of Diovan and Concur (bisoprolol) and for the first time in 20 yeqrs, my BP is under control. It used to run in the mid 140s to mid 150s / hi 80s to hi 90s. Now is has stabilized to mid 120s to mid 130s / mid 70s to mid 80s. I couldn't be happier and I have no side effects."

philster (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Started diovan 160 mg today, after being on Norvasc 5mg for awhile, diovan dropped my blood pressure from 177/93 to 128/71. But while on diovan I literally felt like crap. I was weak, had shortness of breath, my legs hurt when walking dogs. Just felt terrible. Will call dr tomorrow and let him know."

kim46343 (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I was on Diovan five years ago for high blood pressure and had been taking it for about two years when I woke up one morning and felt so sick and weak that I could not walk. I happened to be in hospital at the time and they discovered that my potassium and blood pressure had dropped significantly. They stopped the Diovan and two days later I was back to normal. However, my blood pressure is above the recommended levels and the local doctor put me back on Diovan about six weeks ago and this week I got the weakness back plus muscle aches, severe, so I stopped Diovan two days ago and so far I still have all the bad side effects, but hoping they will go away soon. A visit to the doctor is on the cards."

Hotto January 31, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "It gave horrible stiffness in the back of my neck leading down to my spine. And I couldn't turn my head. The pain became on a scale of one to ten, a10 at times . I thought I was having a stroke...."

D.Howard January 30, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "When I took Diovan with HCTZ, it took a couple of weeks to get my blood pressure down to 125/80. I am an active 61 year old male that plays tennis and walks 40 minutes a day. Then my health plan would only cover the generic valsartan with HCTZ. It was fine. Lately, my valsartan was made by a generic manufacturer McLeod's. All of a sudden my blood pressure shot up to 180/100. I now have to take 5 mg. amlodipine to get my blood pressure normal."

William M (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 21, 2015

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "This medicine is a lifesaver. My doctor put me on blood pressure medicine when I turned 40. It made me feel tired and just bad and in about 8 months after I started taking it I started having chest pains. She swapped me to Diovan and I've been on it for 3 years now. I have no side effects, I don't feel bad anymore and it controls my blood pressure."

Lindaloukin December 10, 2015

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I take 50 mg Metoprolol ER at 8pm. At 11 pm intake 80 mg Valsartan. I Awake around 3 am with bp way up, like 175/56 . All day and evening it is in a pretty good range. It seems the Valsartan increases rather than decreases bp!"

Petee 1234 December 5, 2015

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "My doctor gave me valsartan to take. I am 58, female taking atenolol for 18 years 50 mg. I took my bp this morning before meds, it was 150 over 86. I then took the valsartan started to feel naseaus and my throat tightening. My bp then shot up to 190 over 123 and was frightened. Clearly not a medicine for me. Going back to lisinopril, which has some side effects but bp is great with it."

bp user (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2015

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Taking for 15 years I'm 67. Controls by blood pressure well. I take 160mg. I'm normal weight and very active (Triathlions and marathons). If I train very hard and drop weight I get dizzy sometimes so I cut the pill in half and that does the trick. I occasionally get heart palpitations but I got that before the drug. I use to get terrible migranes before Diovan when I started taking the Diovan it was like s miracle drug for the migranes essentially eliminated them. I still get them now infrequently and not as severe. I have ringing in the ears but I don't know if it's from the Diovan or not but its not a problem for me."

KennyG Jr March 31, 2015

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking Diovan 160 mg along with three other medications. My blood pressure went down from 160/100 to 135/90 but I'm not sure if it was due to this medicine or the other three. I seem to get tired in the afternoon when my dosage was increased from 80 to 160 mg."

JLBat March 18, 2015

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I recently started taking this medication for about 1 month 80mg/day and I have experienced shortness of breath going up one flight of stairs, muscle weakness during light housework, and heart palpitations for no reason, dizziness and fatigue. I went on vacation to palm desert and wasn't watching my sodium intake and not keeping hydrated. I paid dearly by watching my blood pressure go from 140/90 to 180/105 and ended up at urgent care. Doc gave me Diazide to flush out the sodium and now my blood pressure is 110/70 and cardiologist decreased Diazide to 40mg. Some of Diovan's side effects are dissipating with this reduction. I am not happy taking any medication unless necessary especially at the age of 46. Hope to be off all medicines soon."

ddsmile (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2014

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "7 years ago my Blood pressure skyrocketed 110/100. I was going through some personnel issues at home and Dr. put me on Toprol(Beta-Blocker) didn't work, having heart palpitations. I started running and also changed my Meds to Diovan 160mg. BP went down to 110/70. "

Runner's Cramp (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 26, 2013