User Reviews for Valsartan

Also known as: Diovan

Learn more about Valsartan.

Left Ventricular Dysfunction 2 reviews 15 medications

9.5
High Blood Pressure 69 reviews 263 medications

6.5
Summary of Valsartan reviews 71 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Valsartan

For High Blood Pressure: "I was prescribed Valsartan (generic of Diovan) 80 mg, plus Metoprolol ER 25 mg. I've been taking these for about 6 months, during which time I've had muscle stiffness, joint pain, decreased urine flow, cough, vision changes, and some of the other listed side effects. I stopped Valsartan a week ago , and stopped Metoprolol 3 days ago. The past two days, I've never felt better and my blood pressure is about the same as it was on the drugs. Not ideal yet but not in the danger zone. Both of these drugs have many of the same side effects and both generic. C-Span televised a hearing not long about about generic drugs, and I learned that most of them are now made in China and India."

Fairly (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2016

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I've been on Diovan, and labetalol. 2 wks ago my bp bottomed out. Hospital took me off labetalol, and cut my Diovan to 160mg. Stayed 190's over 120's to 130's. I put myself back to 320mg. It is now starting to come down."

Cher56 April 23, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I'm 51 & hav been using Diovan Hct 80-12.5 for 5months to cntrll high bp.. The medcn did wrk to regulate my bp keep'n it at 120's/ 80's. I started xperienc'n painful stiffnss in my neck & shoulders, nausea. I decided to wean myslf off the meds & to do this I knw I had to chng my diet & xercise more. First thing to go was soda! I also strtd eating raw garlic '4 cloves' daily (garlic hlps to lowr bp along with othr awesome benefits), I only drnk lemon watr, & 8 ounce of V8 low sodium Veggie Juice Daily- Plenty of fruit & veggies DAILY (avocado, bananas, oranges, blackberries, spinach, kale, sweet potatoes, almonds) I selected these to provid nutrients need'd.. 5 weeks in & BP has maintained!, I feel fabulous & I'm dwn to 1 tablet a week-"

FMB April 22, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I had taken Diovan for several years to control my blood pressure with no issues. About 6 months ago the drug store substituted Valsartan for the Diovan. I have had a severe chronic cough since January. A pharmacist friend of mine had mentioned that she has had 3 patients this past winter who were taking Valsartan complain of the onset of a chronic cough. I am asking my doctor for a new prescription tomorrow for Diovan ONLY. One case I would say is coincidence, but I am the fourth case. I have been debilitated by this nagging cough. I would be interested to know if others suffer this same side effect ."

NanPic March 28, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "80 mg valsartan is the 1st BP med I have ever taken. After taking my second pill I developed an extremely severe headache in the front of my face. It subsided the next day but did not go away completely. After the 5th pill I experienced pain in my hips, knees, and fingers that woke me up constantly during the night. I took another pill the next morning. That evening I developed a severe rash on my face right across the areas where I had my headache. Did not take another pill after that, but still have a headache after not being on it for a week. My BP was 148/83 and never really saw much of a difference being on the pill for such a short period of time. Valsartan made me feel very unwell!"

Kacer March 26, 2016

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I was recently switched to a BP control regimen of Diovan and Concur (bisoprolol) and for the first time in 20 yeqrs, my BP is under control. It used to run in the mid 140s to mid 150s / hi 80s to hi 90s. Now is has stabilized to mid 120s to mid 130s / mid 70s to mid 80s. I couldn't be happier and I have no side effects."

philster (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Started diovan 160 mg today, after being on Norvasc 5mg for awhile, diovan dropped my blood pressure from 177/93 to 128/71. But while on diovan I literally felt like crap. I was weak, had shortness of breath, my legs hurt when walking dogs. Just felt terrible. Will call dr tomorrow and let him know."

kim46343 (taken for less than 1 month) February 19, 2016

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I was on Diovan five years ago for high blood pressure and had been taking it for about two years when I woke up one morning and felt so sick and weak that I could not walk. I happened to be in hospital at the time and they discovered that my potassium and blood pressure had dropped significantly. They stopped the Diovan and two days later I was back to normal. However, my blood pressure is above the recommended levels and the local doctor put me back on Diovan about six weeks ago and this week I got the weakness back plus muscle aches, severe, so I stopped Diovan two days ago and so far I still have all the bad side effects, but hoping they will go away soon. A visit to the doctor is on the cards."

Hotto January 31, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "It gave horrible stiffness in the back of my neck leading down to my spine. And I couldn't turn my head. The pain became on a scale of one to ten, a10 at times . I thought I was having a stroke...."

D.Howard January 30, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "When I took Diovan with HCTZ, it took a couple of weeks to get my blood pressure down to 125/80. I am an active 61 year old male that plays tennis and walks 40 minutes a day. Then my health plan would only cover the generic valsartan with HCTZ. It was fine. Lately, my valsartan was made by a generic manufacturer McLeod's. All of a sudden my blood pressure shot up to 180/100. I now have to take 5 mg. amlodipine to get my blood pressure normal."

William M (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 21, 2015

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "This medicine is a lifesaver. My doctor put me on blood pressure medicine when I turned 40. It made me feel tired and just bad and in about 8 months after I started taking it I started having chest pains. She swapped me to Diovan and I've been on it for 3 years now. I have no side effects, I don't feel bad anymore and it controls my blood pressure."

Lindaloukin December 10, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I take 50 mg Metoprolol ER at 8pm. At 11 pm intake 80 mg Valsartan. I Awake around 3 am with bp way up, like 175/56 . All day and evening it is in a pretty good range. It seems the Valsartan increases rather than decreases bp!"

Petee 1234 December 5, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "My doctor gave me valsartan to take. I am 58, female taking atenolol for 18 years 50 mg. I took my bp this morning before meds, it was 150 over 86. I then took the valsartan started to feel naseaus and my throat tightening. My bp then shot up to 190 over 123 and was frightened. Clearly not a medicine for me. Going back to lisinopril, which has some side effects but bp is great with it."

bp user (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2015

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Taking for 15 years I'm 67. Controls by blood pressure well. I take 160mg. I'm normal weight and very active (Triathlions and marathons). If I train very hard and drop weight I get dizzy sometimes so I cut the pill in half and that does the trick. I occasionally get heart palpitations but I got that before the drug. I use to get terrible migranes before Diovan when I started taking the Diovan it was like s miracle drug for the migranes essentially eliminated them. I still get them now infrequently and not as severe. I have ringing in the ears but I don't know if it's from the Diovan or not but its not a problem for me."

KennyG Jr March 31, 2015

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking Diovan 160 mg along with three other medications. My blood pressure went down from 160/100 to 135/90 but I'm not sure if it was due to this medicine or the other three. I seem to get tired in the afternoon when my dosage was increased from 80 to 160 mg."

JLBat March 18, 2015

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I recently started taking this medication for about 1 month 80mg/day and I have experienced shortness of breath going up one flight of stairs, muscle weakness during light housework, and heart palpitations for no reason, dizziness and fatigue. I went on vacation to palm desert and wasn't watching my sodium intake and not keeping hydrated. I paid dearly by watching my blood pressure go from 140/90 to 180/105 and ended up at urgent care. Doc gave me Diazide to flush out the sodium and now my blood pressure is 110/70 and cardiologist decreased Diazide to 40mg. Some of Diovan's side effects are dissipating with this reduction. I am not happy taking any medication unless necessary especially at the age of 46. Hope to be off all medicines soon."

ddsmile (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: "7 years ago my Blood pressure skyrocketed 110/100. I was going through some personnel issues at home and Dr. put me on Toprol(Beta-Blocker) didn't work, having heart palpitations. I started running and also changed my Meds to Diovan 160mg. BP went down to 110/70. "

Runner's Cramp (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 26, 2013

Diovan (valsartan) for Left Ventricular Dysfunction: "I take Diovan daily with Norvasc 5mg. I have had no issues with either medicine. I have had no issues with edema either, which is a relief."

MollyTx (taken for 10 years or more) September 7, 2013

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Prevented fluid buildup near vocal cords experienced with other medications to treat condition."

Annarac (taken for 10 years or more) August 31, 2013

For High Blood Pressure: "Been on 40 mg/day Valsartan for several years, works great at lowering blood pressure. Believe it causes delayed ejaculation. "

Jerrypaull (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 18, 2013

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Have been taking Diovan 160mg twice daily along with hydrochlorothiazide 25mg for 2 years. Developed a shortness of breath which they told me was asthma problem that I never had before. I insisted it was the medication and was told it wasn't because it worked great for my blood pressure. Had 2 near death experiences from "asthma attacks". They stopped the Diovan and hydrochlorothiazide and I haven't had any problems with breathing. I can be very active without losing my breath now. Now trying to find something else that works as good on my blood pressure."

246810 August 13, 2013

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Diovan does the trick as far as the blood pressure goes. I have been an athlete my whole life so high blood pressure was just never dreamed of. The only problem is my erectile dysfunction, which was never a problem before this. Guess I will have to take the bad with the good."

Anonymous October 8, 2012

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "I've been taking Diovan HCT (80/12.5) for a little over one year. It has done the trick on my blood pressure but leaves me with a slight headache and afternoon lethargy. After about 8:00 pm I usually start to feel better. My doctor and I tried 3 other medicines before Diovan HCT with no results. I don't know if the side effects are something I will just have to live with or not. I will discuss this on my next Dr.'s visit."

Butch T. (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 23, 2012

Diovan (valsartan) for Left Ventricular Dysfunction: "It has no side effect, I take it in combination of Bystolic 5 Mg and Fish Oil"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2012

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: "Experience tiredness, no energy."

nctrucker (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 13, 2012

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 Next