User Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide

Also known as: Aquazide H, Carozide, Diaqua, Esidrix, Ezide, Hydro Par, HydroDIURIL, Loqua, Microzide, Oretic

Learn more about Hydrochlorothiazide.

Diabetes Insipidus 1 reviews 16 medications

Edema 5 reviews 51 medications

7.5
Nephrocalcinosis 4 reviews 10 medications

High Blood Pressure 85 reviews 264 medications

5.9
Summary of Hydrochlorothiazide reviews 95 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide

For High Blood Pressure: "I started taking this med for HBP. I notice after I take it, my BP goes up and my pulse drops, I feel dizzy. I don't like it. My doc said to keep taking it, but I'm not so sure I should. Has this happened to anyone else?"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2016

For Edema: "This drug isn't worth a nickel! Its made my swelling worse"

Kit kay August 15, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I started taking this medicine 4 days ago. On day 3 the cramps started so badly that I couldn't do anything without my hands involuntary becoming fists, sometimes both of them, to the point of my husband having to help me pry them apart. Also had dizziness, nausea, muscle pain, among others. None of which I had on the Benazapril. Talked to my doctor yesterday and he switched me to something different. I'm hoping it helps!"

Lacy Meach (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I started talking HYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE about 2 years ago blood pressure was 138/79, i didn't think that was high if you know your body you know normal things about it as well, i exercised everyday, lost about thirty pounds, the doctor put me on this medicine at 25mg, as soon as i was on it for a week I began to have numbness in my hands and feet, i started having bad muscle cramps until i couldn't sleep at night, I am not saying for anyone to get off there Med. that is your choice, but taking a bunch of Medicine is not my choice of life, I have learned that this medicine also cause cramps even more when i eat my dark green vegetables, I have been keeping a record of these side effects for 30 days, have not had the cramps or the numbness."

Quiteley Blue August 6, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I have HBP as a side effect of Cyclosporin and Myfortic used as anti-rejection meds for a liver transplant. I was first on Amalopidine and after two years of numbness/severe chills/exhaustion/extreme susceptibility to cold (I am Canadian) and stage 2 kidney failure I suspected it and discontinued it on my own. The named side-effects cleared within six months but the HPB also reappeared. Enter Hydrochlorothizide --- After two years my kidney function is normal - BP fully controlled @115/75 and absolutely no downside effects other than peeing a lot =NoBigDeal! Great med for me"

GordLaw July 4, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I had an serve allergic reaction to this medication. I broke out in a high fever, blood pressure spike, and broke out in hives all over my body. The hives were so serious I was being dosed with Liquid Benadryl (IV given)."

Donnie30 July 2, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I was on this for a year. I am a heathly 50 year old man that travels the world. The side effects It started out slow (the pain did and other things). I was hospitalized / I had MRI's / my left hand went numb and the pain was insane. 1 through 10 like 40. I could not even tie my shoes. The pain was behind my shoulder blades then it would travel tell under my feet was feel like i was walking on needles. my body cramping This drug should been band.. What they don't tell you is every store even thou it may say the same thing it's not. They use different base formulas in each state. The doctors were just getting ready me in to surgeries. I have had 3 MRI 2 cat scans 4 hospital visits out of pocket... around $100,000.. No PILL ALL BETTER..."

LISTEN UP - VERY VERY BAD (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 30, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I had been having issues with my Blood Pressure and edema so my doctor started me on this medication. I took it for about three months and went to a regular appointment for lab work. My potassium level was 1.6. I spent 4 days in the VA hospital and was taken of this medication and started on spironolactone. Also added potassium tablets too. This one is a potassium wasting diuretic. I rated it an 8 even though it didn't work well on me. It did do the job but the side effects were dangerous for me. Many people have no problem with them."

Terry5037 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "l love hyd. I'm 59 my b/P is very good like a younger person 120/73"

landesmonnd May 16, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking 25 mg a day for years and my blood pressure is always normal and I definitely don't retain water, so it's an excellent diuretic."

lexus985 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 13, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I just started taking this medicine about a week ago. I'm 34 years old, healthy, active, and we believe my high blood pressure is attributed to genetics. I was adopted, so I am unsure whether or not I have a biological history of hbp. After a year or monitoring my bp, I finally decided that I needed to see the doc about it. He originally prescribed me Lisinopril, in which I became lightheaded and dizzy, so he switched me to HCTZ starting off at 6.25mg(dividing the 12.5mg dosage). The day after I took my first dose, my bp had already went down to normal levels. I was amazed. I really didn't experience anything else other than going to the bathroom more often, which isn't too inconvenient for me. But now I'm beginning to feel lazy."

modernwarpaint May 2, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Be very careful! With in an hour of taking the first dose my husband was in a coma and never recovered."

Ccbb April 22, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been taking Hydrochlorothiazide for six months. I started out taking it with breakfast, but noticed it makes me a little sleepy and droopy. I switched to taking it at bedtime, and noticed I slept better. However, when I told my doctor this, he told me to take it in the morning because it will make you excrete excess fluid. I switched back, and have the same results. I've noticed only a slight drop in my blood pressure. That might be because I'm struggling to eat a healthy diet. I have good days and bad days."

hweygs (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "side effects RARE"

persh March 27, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "This medication causes me to sweat profusely. It was so bad water was dripping off my hair and I was sweating all over my body. The sweating makes me miserable and I believe dehydrated When I tell the dr they just ignore me. It does not cause me to go to the bathroom more often but I'm probably sweating it off I was taking 25 mg. I also have type 2 diabetes. I saw diabetics shouldn't take this. I had taken it for years before I was sweating then too."

Emaw34 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I am completing my 5th year of taking 25mg Hydrochlorothiazide - with 1 tablet daily each morning, at times taken with and at others without food. In such respect, I am not aware of having experienced any noticeable effects - positive or negative - at any time. In year two, I came off the medication for some 20 days. CVS renews the 90-day prescription refills with automatic reminders. I happen to delay for more than two weeks with my picking up that refill but experienced no discerning effects with my sudden stopping or upon renewing the daily dosage."

JTH/NY March 20, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been on this medicine for 2 days now. The second day of taking 5 hours after i took it. I had allergic reaction. Dizzy, dry mouth, heart racing and felt like I was about to faint. Anxiety panic attacks. Very scary medicine. I advise nobody to take this poison. I'm going back to my Dr. Changing this Asap."

Anonymous March 7, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking 50 mg of Metoprolol Succ for 5 years and my blood pressure recently became very variable. At times it was very well controlled but then it would spike.My cardiologist added 25 mg hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg daily. I'd taken it years ago and it caused my sodium to go quite low-122. The doctor that prescribed stopped This doctor convinced me to try it again and she would check my sodium and potassium. I took it for three days and developed several side effects including dizziness, vision changes, mild chest pain, severe constipation and both upper and lower abdominal pains. Doctor said stop it. i checked my diary and sure enough I'd been having severe constipation and abdominal pain last time I took it."

tomie581 (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Very good med. I was on amlodipine and that nearly killed me. Now im on these 12.5 water pillsi feel much better. Ive lost 5 pounds in 2 days"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "This med was added to enhance my present ace inhibitor (Enalapril 20mg/2x daily) to reduce my BP. Recently,I became extremely ill with a viral sinus infection and ultimately my BP spiked because of fighting this wicked infection. The physician thought it may be prudent to lower the BP so HCTZ was added to the regiment of treatment @ 25mg per day. I've been on it for 3 weeks. BP is normal but it was normal before the infection on Enalapril . I am in good health, eat right and exercise. I can't believe the side effects. Extreme fatigue, nausea, gastric pains, muscle pains, weakness, anxiety and on and on. I contacted the physician today and she immediately removed me from the med. Be careful and be watchful if this med!!"

superdude3574 February 20, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Works with my lisinopril to lower my high blood pressure. Really bad dry mouth & throat the first week. Also I pee ALL the time. My tummy has gotten smaller and I fit into pants I could never wear."

Lumy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Well I've been on this medication 25mg for about a week... I started to have side affects about two days in like extreme dry mouth like I woke up in the Mojave desert or something. And I still have the side affect so I keep a bottle water handy at night. 2-3 day I stated to feel the mild cramps on my legs but it's gone away so it's temporary I guess. As for urinating regular not sure if it's not high enough or what. Cause I have not noticed any loss of water I have been retaining. Really disappointed so I'll keep taking this med for another two weeks if I don't notice anything I'm off it. Cause it hadn't worked. Oh well I guess let's see what happens."

doesitreallywork (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "hair loss, tiredness, constipation"

IleneDale December 31, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I went on it with my BP at 145/100 several years ago and it lowered it while eating a standard American diet. A few years ago, I started eating a whole foods diet (limiting processed foods) and had to take myself off the medicine because I would become faint when standing up. Fast forward to a trip to Vegas in March of 2015. I went off the bus and fell back into the standard american diet having long ago stopped regularly monitoring my BP. Four days ago, I woke up with a headache and called parents to inform them that wouldn't be making to Turkey Day dinner. Still had some pills remaining and took 50mg a day since along with 2 day fast and eating whole foods again. It's down to 124/80 after being at 201/113 four days ago. I'm reducing to"

TomInOhio November 30, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "my first week using this medicine I lose 5 pounds with out excise im on day three and my stomach going down I don't have no side effects yet because I drink two cups a pill then eat something a drink another cup it's lower my blood pressure really good but if I lay down I get a little tired thts it"

cherry blooms (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2015