User Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide

Also known as: Aquazide H, Carozide, Diaqua, Esidrix, Ezide, Hydro Par, HydroDIURIL, Loqua, Microzide, Oretic

Learn more about Hydrochlorothiazide.

Diabetes Insipidus 1 reviews 16 medications

High Blood Pressure 94 reviews 264 medications

5.8
Summary of Hydrochlorothiazide reviews 105 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide

For High Blood Pressure: "I have taken it for about 4 or 5 years on and off. I had stopped for awhile because my bp was fine but started this last year because I suddenly have elevated bp again and some swelling. It works fine for me at 12.5. I had a doctor prescribe 25mg and I had the leg cramps , some dizziness , dry eyes. I realized that is because I am dehydrated. If the medication is dehydrating you I would say you are prescribed too high of a dose. Once it was decreased all those side effects went away and I do not swell and my BP is better. If you ever complain to a doctor and they tell you just keep taking it and you don't feel good about it, follow your gut feeling."

Rose_1 April 2, 2017

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I am a 48 year old woman diagnosed with high blood pressure. My overall health is good however I do need to lose 50 lbs to be at my healthiest weight. I am on only one other medication (citalopram) for anxiety and have been under much stress lately. I was prescribed this blood pressure medication by my doctor at 12.5 mg. Last evening I took one pill. I was unable to sleep which is very unusual for me. Toss/turn all night long. It was the longest evening of my life. I also experienced more urinations during the evening. When I was able to fall asleep early in the morning I experienced vivid bizzare dreams. One after another. I will keep taking the pill but will take in the morning instead."

Yakcam March 19, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Microzide (hydrochlorothiazide) for High Blood Pressure: "Having gone through a long list of life's tribulations high BP and all that entails wasn't surprising. Tried lisinopril several times, still felt general malaise. Went to cardiologist everything checked out. I started taking hctz-after a day I felt great and two months in, still do. Curious now why it works and is it compensating for lack in some organ. I do not eat processed foods and am a healthy young woman of 65."

ferenc777 March 1, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Works for me. Blood pressure went from 170/90 to 135/76 in just a couple of days. No noticeable side effects at all."

Miss sissy February 26, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I took HCTZ for 12 years for blood pressure as well as 2 meds for diabetes. Recently I stopped taking HCTZ and started experiencing problems with hypoglycemia. I found that HCTZ was causing my blood sugar to rise making it necessary for the second diabetes med. When I stopped taking glipizide the hypoglycemia no longer occurred. HCTZ was a wonderful med for my blood pressure, it helped bring it down to normal levels, but as I found out 2 months ago, I was taking a second med for diabetes that I should not have had to take. If you are not diabetic it might be a good med for you, but if you are please be careful with this med."

misspj2 (taken for 10 years or more) February 17, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Nephrocalcinosis: "Taking 12.5 mg. Started taking this a week ago for HBP. Blood pressure dropped within acceptable range within one day No side effects whatsoever."

Jam54 February 10, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Worst experience of my life. I was sick for 2 days and felt hung over one the 3rd. Sweats, Fatigue, Restlessness, Minor Vision problems. To me it was poison. This was 1 dose of 12.5 mg."

scott 619 February 10, 2017

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Have increased weight gain and strange very noticeable abdominal swelling/bulging. Not normal for me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 21, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Started to take this med, EXTREME dry mouth and overwhelming fatigue!"

Mikyx (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I was taking Micardis/hctz for about 8 years(HCTz is hydrochlorthiazide) I began having abdomen pain, bloating and diarrhea. I went to my PCP. He did a bunch of blood tests and referred me to a GI specialist. I had an EGD which is a scope of my stomach and a colonoscopy. All tests were negative. I continued to have these side effects. After much searching on various websites I discovered that HCTZ should not be given to people with an allergy to penicillin. I went to my PCP and asked to be taken off the combination drug and to take only telmisartin which is the other drug in Micardis. Within 24 hours my symptoms were gone."

Trudy1910 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 1, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I started taking this med for HBP. I notice after I take it, my BP goes up and my pulse drops, I feel dizzy. I don't like it. My doc said to keep taking it, but I'm not so sure I should. Has this happened to anyone else?"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2016

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Edema: "This drug isn't worth a nickel! Its made my swelling worse"

Kit kay August 15, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I started taking this medicine 4 days ago. On day 3 the cramps started so badly that I couldn't do anything without my hands involuntary becoming fists, sometimes both of them, to the point of my husband having to help me pry them apart. Also had dizziness, nausea, muscle pain, among others. None of which I had on the Benazapril. Talked to my doctor yesterday and he switched me to something different. I'm hoping it helps!"

Lacy Meach (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I started talking HYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE about 2 years ago blood pressure was 138/79, i didn't think that was high if you know your body you know normal things about it as well, i exercised everyday, lost about thirty pounds, the doctor put me on this medicine at 25mg, as soon as i was on it for a week I began to have numbness in my hands and feet, i started having bad muscle cramps until i couldn't sleep at night, I am not saying for anyone to get off there Med. that is your choice, but taking a bunch of Medicine is not my choice of life, I have learned that this medicine also cause cramps even more when i eat my dark green vegetables, I have been keeping a record of these side effects for 30 days, have not had the cramps or the numbness."

Quiteley Blue August 6, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I have HBP as a side effect of Cyclosporin and Myfortic used as anti-rejection meds for a liver transplant. I was first on Amalopidine and after two years of numbness/severe chills/exhaustion/extreme susceptibility to cold (I am Canadian) and stage 2 kidney failure I suspected it and discontinued it on my own. The named side-effects cleared within six months but the HPB also reappeared. Enter Hydrochlorothizide --- After two years my kidney function is normal - BP fully controlled @115/75 and absolutely no downside effects other than peeing a lot =NoBigDeal! Great med for me"

GordLaw July 4, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I had an serve allergic reaction to this medication. I broke out in a high fever, blood pressure spike, and broke out in hives all over my body. The hives were so serious I was being dosed with Liquid Benadryl (IV given)."

Donnie30 July 2, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I was on this for a year. I am a heathly 50 year old man that travels the world. The side effects It started out slow (the pain did and other things). I was hospitalized / I had MRI's / my left hand went numb and the pain was insane. 1 through 10 like 40. I could not even tie my shoes. The pain was behind my shoulder blades then it would travel tell under my feet was feel like i was walking on needles. my body cramping This drug should been band.. What they don't tell you is every store even thou it may say the same thing it's not. They use different base formulas in each state. The doctors were just getting ready me in to surgeries. I have had 3 MRI 2 cat scans 4 hospital visits out of pocket... around $100,000.. No PILL ALL BETTER..."

LISTEN UP - VERY VERY BAD (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 30, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I had been having issues with my Blood Pressure and edema so my doctor started me on this medication. I took it for about three months and went to a regular appointment for lab work. My potassium level was 1.6. I spent 4 days in the VA hospital and was taken of this medication and started on spironolactone. Also added potassium tablets too. This one is a potassium wasting diuretic. I rated it an 8 even though it didn't work well on me. It did do the job but the side effects were dangerous for me. Many people have no problem with them."

Terry5037 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "l love hyd. I'm 59 my b/P is very good like a younger person 120/73"

landesmonnd May 16, 2016

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking 25 mg a day for years and my blood pressure is always normal and I definitely don't retain water, so it's an excellent diuretic."

lexus985 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 13, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I just started taking this medicine about a week ago. I'm 34 years old, healthy, active, and we believe my high blood pressure is attributed to genetics. I was adopted, so I am unsure whether or not I have a biological history of hbp. After a year or monitoring my bp, I finally decided that I needed to see the doc about it. He originally prescribed me Lisinopril, in which I became lightheaded and dizzy, so he switched me to HCTZ starting off at 6.25mg(dividing the 12.5mg dosage). The day after I took my first dose, my bp had already went down to normal levels. I was amazed. I really didn't experience anything else other than going to the bathroom more often, which isn't too inconvenient for me. But now I'm beginning to feel lazy."

modernwarpaint May 2, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Be very careful! With in an hour of taking the first dose my husband was in a coma and never recovered."

Ccbb April 22, 2016

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been taking Hydrochlorothiazide for six months. I started out taking it with breakfast, but noticed it makes me a little sleepy and droopy. I switched to taking it at bedtime, and noticed I slept better. However, when I told my doctor this, he told me to take it in the morning because it will make you excrete excess fluid. I switched back, and have the same results. I've noticed only a slight drop in my blood pressure. That might be because I'm struggling to eat a healthy diet. I have good days and bad days."

hweygs (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2016

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "side effects RARE"

persh March 27, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "This medication causes me to sweat profusely. It was so bad water was dripping off my hair and I was sweating all over my body. The sweating makes me miserable and I believe dehydrated When I tell the dr they just ignore me. It does not cause me to go to the bathroom more often but I'm probably sweating it off I was taking 25 mg. I also have type 2 diabetes. I saw diabetics shouldn't take this. I had taken it for years before I was sweating then too."

Emaw34 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2016