User Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide

Also known as: Aquazide H, Carozide, Diaqua, Esidrix, Ezide, Hydro Par, HydroDIURIL, Loqua, Microzide, Oretic

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Hydrochlorothiazide.

Diabetes Insipidus

High Blood Pressure
5.9

Summary of Hydrochlorothiazide reviews 7.6 112 reviews

Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking this medicine for a while, but my BP never or hardly ever gets down to 120/80. I changed my diet, so I'm going to do yoga then see if this helps, I lost 10 pounds already at 220/5'4 so a way to go. I don't want to take meds because I have many side effects that I don't like the sweats the aching pains in my joints, thirst it's really annoying. Is there any meds that don't have as many side effects for hypertension?"

JaiDazzy (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) didn't effect my blood pressure much at 12.5mg or 25mg. It stayed around 145/95. When I added 10mg Lisinopril on top of 25mg HCTZ, it went to 120/85. I don't know how much of the benefit comes from (HCTZ) and how much from Lisinopril. I rate HCTZ high, though, because it's very inexpensive and caused no side effects."

CircuitGuy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I am a 57 year young woman in relatively good health. I struggled with my weight since my early 30's add anxiety & I developed high blood pressure (BP) by age 40. I have been on 50 mg. of Losartan & 12.5 mg. of hydrochlorathiazide. My BP did not improve much & averaged 150's over 80's to mid 90's. Recently I started on a ketogenic diet which works great for insulin resistant folks & I have lost 30 lbs in 10 weeks & brought my BP down to 116/70 I asked my Dr to adjust my meds she said it's too soon. I began to have severe dehydration, black outs & dizziness upon standing, profuse sweating, heat intolerance & fatigue so I stopped the hydrochlorathiazide on my own and all the bad symptoms went away & BP still great! Listen to your body!"

Junie57 (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Terrible drug. I stopped after one week. I had major side effects such as severe nasal congestion, dizziness, headache, dry mouth, and difficulty taking a deep breath. I was very fatigued as well. I will not take this drug ever again."

Bill Pepe September 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been taking 12.5 mg for about six months now and can honestly say it lowered my BP. Unfortunately, it makes me sweat horribly. I was going thru 3 tshirts a day. I took my self off it last Friday so I could enjoy my vacation this week and will consult my PCM when I get home."

Borgie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been on 25mg. once daily of this medication for over 20 years now. I take it with Losartan (Beta blocker). I have never experienced any of the side effects (e.g. dry mouth, dizziness, nausea, etc) that others have reported here. Of course, it's a diuretic so frequent urination (another side effect others report) is going to occur. But for myself I'd not noticed it as the only time I experienced frequent urination was due to either a UTI or the massive fibroids that formerly pressed on my bladder; the HZT never contributed to this. So really I've never had one side effect that I could attribute to this drug at all since I began taking it. In fact, the only warning from the pharmacy is to avoid sunlight or artificial sunlight"

LucieEsp August 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Worked for me by day 2, my bp now 125/76. I had been on a calcium channel blocker (amlodipine (Norvasc)) for 9 years, & my hair had thinned so badly, when I finally found out that hair loss is a known side effect of amlodipine, I barely took the medication anymore, I started going to a new doc, who was surprised that my previous doc had not tried a diuretic before putting me on a calcium channel blocker, she started me on 25 mg, and told me to take it in the morning, & eat foods with lots of potassium to avoid cramping in my muscles, & drink water because I was probably going to start feeling dehydrated, with a headache. I followed her directions, & after feeling slightly nauseous the first couple of days, feel great."

Andromeda1 July 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I have taken it for about 4 or 5 years on and off. I had stopped for awhile because my bp was fine but started this last year because I suddenly have elevated bp again and some swelling. It works fine for me at 12.5. I had a doctor prescribe 25mg and I had the leg cramps , some dizziness , dry eyes. I realized that is because I am dehydrated. If the medication is dehydrating you I would say you are prescribed too high of a dose. Once it was decreased all those side effects went away and I do not swell and my BP is better. If you ever complain to a doctor and they tell you just keep taking it and you don't feel good about it, follow your gut feeling."

Rose_1 April 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I am a 48 year old woman diagnosed with high blood pressure. My overall health is good however I do need to lose 50 lbs to be at my healthiest weight. I am on only one other medication (citalopram) for anxiety and have been under much stress lately. I was prescribed this blood pressure medication by my doctor at 12.5 mg. Last evening I took one pill. I was unable to sleep which is very unusual for me. Toss/turn all night long. It was the longest evening of my life. I also experienced more urinations during the evening. When I was able to fall asleep early in the morning I experienced vivid bizzare dreams. One after another. I will keep taking the pill but will take in the morning instead."

Yakcam March 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Microzide (hydrochlorothiazide) for High Blood Pressure: "Having gone through a long list of life's tribulations high BP and all that entails wasn't surprising. Tried lisinopril several times, still felt general malaise. Went to cardiologist everything checked out. I started taking hctz-after a day I felt great and two months in, still do. Curious now why it works and is it compensating for lack in some organ. I do not eat processed foods and am a healthy young woman of 65."

ferenc777 March 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Works for me. Blood pressure went from 170/90 to 135/76 in just a couple of days. No noticeable side effects at all."

Miss sissy February 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I took HCTZ for 12 years for blood pressure as well as 2 meds for diabetes. Recently I stopped taking HCTZ and started experiencing problems with hypoglycemia. I found that HCTZ was causing my blood sugar to rise making it necessary for the second diabetes med. When I stopped taking glipizide the hypoglycemia no longer occurred. HCTZ was a wonderful med for my blood pressure, it helped bring it down to normal levels, but as I found out 2 months ago, I was taking a second med for diabetes that I should not have had to take. If you are not diabetic it might be a good med for you, but if you are please be careful with this med."

misspj2 (taken for 10 years or more) February 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Nephrocalcinosis: "Taking 12.5 mg. Started taking this a week ago for HBP. Blood pressure dropped within acceptable range within one day No side effects whatsoever."

Jam54 February 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Worst experience of my life. I was sick for 2 days and felt hung over one the 3rd. Sweats, Fatigue, Restlessness, Minor Vision problems. To me it was poison. This was 1 dose of 12.5 mg."

scott 619 February 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Have increased weight gain and strange very noticeable abdominal swelling/bulging. Not normal for me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Started to take this med, EXTREME dry mouth and overwhelming fatigue!"

Mikyx (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I was taking Micardis/hctz for about 8 years(HCTz is hydrochlorthiazide) I began having abdomen pain, bloating and diarrhea. I went to my PCP. He did a bunch of blood tests and referred me to a GI specialist. I had an EGD which is a scope of my stomach and a colonoscopy. All tests were negative. I continued to have these side effects. After much searching on various websites I discovered that HCTZ should not be given to people with an allergy to penicillin. I went to my PCP and asked to be taken off the combination drug and to take only telmisartin which is the other drug in Micardis. Within 24 hours my symptoms were gone."

Trudy1910 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I started taking this med for HBP. I notice after I take it, my BP goes up and my pulse drops, I feel dizzy. I don't like it. My doc said to keep taking it, but I'm not so sure I should. Has this happened to anyone else?"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Edema: "This drug isn't worth a nickel! Its made my swelling worse"

Kit kay August 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I started taking this medicine 4 days ago. On day 3 the cramps started so badly that I couldn't do anything without my hands involuntary becoming fists, sometimes both of them, to the point of my husband having to help me pry them apart. Also had dizziness, nausea, muscle pain, among others. None of which I had on the Benazapril. Talked to my doctor yesterday and he switched me to something different. I'm hoping it helps!"

Lacy Meach (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I started talking HYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE about 2 years ago blood pressure was 138/79, i didn't think that was high if you know your body you know normal things about it as well, i exercised everyday, lost about thirty pounds, the doctor put me on this medicine at 25mg, as soon as i was on it for a week I began to have numbness in my hands and feet, i started having bad muscle cramps until i couldn't sleep at night, I am not saying for anyone to get off there Med. that is your choice, but taking a bunch of Medicine is not my choice of life, I have learned that this medicine also cause cramps even more when i eat my dark green vegetables, I have been keeping a record of these side effects for 30 days, have not had the cramps or the numbness."

Quiteley Blue August 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I have HBP as a side effect of Cyclosporin and Myfortic used as anti-rejection meds for a liver transplant. I was first on Amalopidine and after two years of numbness/severe chills/exhaustion/extreme susceptibility to cold (I am Canadian) and stage 2 kidney failure I suspected it and discontinued it on my own. The named side-effects cleared within six months but the HPB also reappeared. Enter Hydrochlorothizide --- After two years my kidney function is normal - BP fully controlled @115/75 and absolutely no downside effects other than peeing a lot =NoBigDeal! Great med for me"

GordLaw July 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I had an serve allergic reaction to this medication. I broke out in a high fever, blood pressure spike, and broke out in hives all over my body. The hives were so serious I was being dosed with Liquid Benadryl (IV given)."

Donnie30 July 2, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I was on this for a year. I am a heathly 50 year old man that travels the world. The side effects It started out slow (the pain did and other things). I was hospitalized / I had MRI's / my left hand went numb and the pain was insane. 1 through 10 like 40. I could not even tie my shoes. The pain was behind my shoulder blades then it would travel tell under my feet was feel like i was walking on needles. my body cramping This drug should been band.. What they don't tell you is every store even thou it may say the same thing it's not. They use different base formulas in each state. The doctors were just getting ready me in to surgeries. I have had 3 MRI 2 cat scans 4 hospital visits out of pocket... around $100,000.. No PILL ALL BETTER..."

LISTEN UP - VERY VERY BAD (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I had been having issues with my Blood Pressure and edema so my doctor started me on this medication. I took it for about three months and went to a regular appointment for lab work. My potassium level was 1.6. I spent 4 days in the VA hospital and was taken of this medication and started on spironolactone. Also added potassium tablets too. This one is a potassium wasting diuretic. I rated it an 8 even though it didn't work well on me. It did do the job but the side effects were dangerous for me. Many people have no problem with them."

Terry5037 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2016