User Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide

Also known as: Aquazide H, Carozide, Diaqua, Esidrix, Ezide, Hydro Par, HydroDIURIL, Loqua, Microzide, Oretic

Diabetes Insipidus

High Blood Pressure
5.8

Summary of Hydrochlorothiazide reviews 5.9 125 reviews

Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide

For High Blood Pressure: "I am a 63 y/o male dx'd with hypertension; it was discovered during a left inguinal hernia examination. I was averaging a bp reading of 143/86, with a systolic range of 138-167, and a diastolic range of 91 - 100 - basically stage 1 and stage 2 levels over the past two weeks. I have always been in good health, never smoked, am not obese or diabetic, am physically active, but hypertension runs in the family. My primary doctor suggested medication a few weeks ago and I balked at the thought of taking meds. That said, I took my first non-antibiotic med in my life about 2 hours ago - 25 mg. of Hydrochlorodiazide. Only 1 hour and 20 minutes after taking the pill I checked my bp, not expecting much of a change. Lo and behold, I clocked a 133/83. 10 minutes later it was 129/83. I took the final reading and it was 128/83. Absolutely no side effects as I write this 2 hours and 10 minutes later. If the outcome remains as positive as it is right now, then taking a tiny pill once a day is well worth the expense."

KAG!2020 August 2, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Love this pill. It's a water pill!! No side effects after 6 years of use. My blood pressure is good now. Also take another BP pill at night . I'm 80 and feel like 60."

Barbie (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 25, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "This medication works better for me take separately compared to when built into my other blood pressure pill."

Kat (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 9, 2018

For Edema: "25mg not effective"

Nickname (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I'm a 57 year old woman with high blood pressure, I had been on lisinopril for about a year and a half. I had severe case of pancreatitis last August and my doctor said my meds had to be changed. They tried several different meds for high blood pressure but it was still staying too high. Next they tried metoprolol and it was coming down, but doctor felt it wasn't enough, so added hydrochlorathyazide 12.5 mg. I don't retain water at all, so can't understand putting me on it. I've been taking it for about 5 months, started having lots of problems but not sure why. Increased sweating, thirst, headaches, severe sinus congestion and pain. Talked with my doctor but she feels I should continue this medicine, I'm considering taking myself off of it and see what happens, if symptoms go away I'll know it was this medicine. Any thoughts from others would be helpful."

Cat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 1, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I am only 45 yo. This medicine, I was put on when I felt perfectly fine. I was told my blood pressure was a little elevated. The next day after taking this medication I was hauled off in an Ambulance from work with symptoms of a stroke a reaction to this medication and was scared for my life and thought I was either going to die or end up in a coma, or be paralyzed for life. My face drooped for 20 minutes, my speech slowed and I could not find words, so luckily my boss called 911 in time and the Dr and staff were able to prevent a stroke and TIA. I am scared to take any new medication now. Looking for a solidarity approach. My blood pressure went the opposite direction and through the roof and I was scared for my life and stayed in the hospital for 2 days. The pharmacy called me to see how I was doing and the Pharm D told me to stop the medicine since my blood pressure changed for the worse to consistently abnormally high. I am now ok after stopping this med."

ABQ Woman. April 10, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I am 69 years old and have had high blood pressure since my 40’s. I am also obese, which doesn’t help. My doctor put me on Benazepril/HCTZ (20/25mg) daily and I took that for many years without any problems. Last year I lost 60 lbs and started having dizzy spells and lightheadedness. My blood pressure was very low. I stopped taking the medication and felt better immediately. My blood pressure was in the 120/80 range. This year, even with maintaining my weight loss, my blood pressure started creeping up. It was going between 125/80 to 140/90. My doctor said that it would continue to increase as I get older and I need to go back on medication to treat it. He started me on 12.5 mg HCTZ. But after 2 weeks, my blood pressure had only gone down slightly. He then told me to take 25 mg daily. It has been a week since I started the higher dose and my blood pressure is down to 120/80. I am very lucky that I have never experienced any of the side effects mentioned by other people."

Sunnidale April 2, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been on this medication for about 6 months for edema and high blood pressure. It helps with both issues but I have horrible side effects.... blurred vision, tired, sadness (never had this before), weight gain (even with exercise I'm up almost 30 lbs in 6 months), back pain that feels like kidney pains, random headaches, hot flashes, increased sweating). I was on lisinopril prior to this but that made my heart race. The only way to resolve is by healthy eating, exercise, and not taking this pill. I have an appt. Next week with my doc to take me off."

Stacia Brown February 18, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I have taken 25mg for years with no issues. My doctor recently raised it to 50mg when my BP started creeping up. Immediately I had issues with headache, extreme dry sinuses, dry eyes, pain in my face and teeth. Also occasional skipped heart beats. I have contacted my doctor and am awaiting a response, but I won't continue this dosage."

Randyfoto January 24, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Bad stuff. Second or third time over past 3 months trying Hydro. It raised diastolic and heart rate to 90-100! Both were much lower before Hydro. "Extreme" fatigue, shaky, jittery, dry mouth, dry eyes, gastric pains, hands stiff and weak."

Vkpl January 14, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I was diagnosed with high BP about a month ago -171/102. Took this pill for about 2 weeks and I didn’t see much of a change with BP. I stopped taking it and noticed my BP was lower around noon but would spike in the evening. Went to the ER today because of pain in my back ( kidneys?).....I will start taking the pills again. Not sure if hBP is causing pain in back?"

Nyang14 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I was prescribed this drug (25mg) daily because I've had recurrent calcium kidney stones for 20 yrs. and BP was very high for me. I am 57 of normal weight, no other medical conditions other than moderately high cholesterol which I take simvastatin to control. Within a few hours of taking the first dose I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin. My heart was racing. Resting pulse rate was 115-120. My jumped up to 156/86. My bp before this used to be 120/78. But the day I went to dr. it was 145/83. My resting pulse 93. I think my problem may be more tachycardia and anxiety and this med ramped it up.Took over 24 hrs. to get out of my system and had bloating in abdomen. Will never take it again...."

banjoangie (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been on it for a week and my bp has only gone down a little but I feel terrible, mild headache and tired all the time. I will call Monday and get something different. I have been taking Atenolol for years but my bp is too high now for that alone."

Terry270 (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking this medicine for a while, but my BP never or hardly ever gets down to 120/80. I changed my diet, so I'm going to do yoga then see if this helps, I lost 10 pounds already at 220/5'4 so a way to go. I don't want to take meds because I have many side effects that I don't like the sweats the aching pains in my joints, thirst it's really annoying. Is there any meds that don't have as many side effects for hypertension?"

JaiDazzy (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 6, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) didn't effect my blood pressure much at 12.5mg or 25mg. It stayed around 145/95. When I added 10mg Lisinopril on top of 25mg HCTZ, it went to 120/85. I don't know how much of the benefit comes from (HCTZ) and how much from Lisinopril. I rate HCTZ high, though, because it's very inexpensive and caused no side effects."

CircuitGuy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "I am a 57 year young woman in relatively good health. I struggled with my weight since my early 30's add anxiety & I developed high blood pressure (BP) by age 40. I have been on 50 mg. of Losartan & 12.5 mg. of hydrochlorathiazide. My BP did not improve much & averaged 150's over 80's to mid 90's. Recently I started on a ketogenic diet which works great for insulin resistant folks & I have lost 30 lbs in 10 weeks & brought my BP down to 116/70 I asked my Dr to adjust my meds she said it's too soon. I began to have severe dehydration, black outs & dizziness upon standing, profuse sweating, heat intolerance & fatigue so I stopped the hydrochlorathiazide on my own and all the bad symptoms went away & BP still great! Listen to your body!"

Junie57 (taken for 10 years or more) September 21, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "Terrible drug. I stopped after one week. I had major side effects such as severe nasal congestion, dizziness, headache, dry mouth, and difficulty taking a deep breath. I was very fatigued as well. I will not take this drug ever again."

Bill Pepe September 20, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been taking 12.5 mg for about six months now and can honestly say it lowered my BP. Unfortunately, it makes me sweat horribly. I was going thru 3 tshirts a day. I took my self off it last Friday so I could enjoy my vacation this week and will consult my PCM when I get home."

Borgie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 15, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been on 25mg. once daily of this medication for over 20 years now. I take it with Losartan (Beta blocker). I have never experienced any of the side effects (e.g. dry mouth, dizziness, nausea, etc) that others have reported here. Of course, it's a diuretic so frequent urination (another side effect others report) is going to occur. But for myself I'd not noticed it as the only time I experienced frequent urination was due to either a UTI or the massive fibroids that formerly pressed on my bladder; the HZT never contributed to this. So really I've never had one side effect that I could attribute to this drug at all since I began taking it. In fact, the only warning from the pharmacy is to avoid sunlight or artificial sunlight"

LucieEsp August 12, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "Worked for me by day 2, my bp now 125/76. I had been on a calcium channel blocker (amlodipine (Norvasc)) for 9 years, & my hair had thinned so badly, when I finally found out that hair loss is a known side effect of amlodipine, I barely took the medication anymore, I started going to a new doc, who was surprised that my previous doc had not tried a diuretic before putting me on a calcium channel blocker, she started me on 25 mg, and told me to take it in the morning, & eat foods with lots of potassium to avoid cramping in my muscles, & drink water because I was probably going to start feeling dehydrated, with a headache. I followed her directions, & after feeling slightly nauseous the first couple of days, feel great."

Andromeda1 July 12, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "I have taken it for about 4 or 5 years on and off. I had stopped for awhile because my bp was fine but started this last year because I suddenly have elevated bp again and some swelling. It works fine for me at 12.5. I had a doctor prescribe 25mg and I had the leg cramps , some dizziness , dry eyes. I realized that is because I am dehydrated. If the medication is dehydrating you I would say you are prescribed too high of a dose. Once it was decreased all those side effects went away and I do not swell and my BP is better. If you ever complain to a doctor and they tell you just keep taking it and you don't feel good about it, follow your gut feeling."

Rose_1 April 2, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "I am a 48 year old woman diagnosed with high blood pressure. My overall health is good however I do need to lose 50 lbs to be at my healthiest weight. I am on only one other medication (citalopram) for anxiety and have been under much stress lately. I was prescribed this blood pressure medication by my doctor at 12.5 mg. Last evening I took one pill. I was unable to sleep which is very unusual for me. Toss/turn all night long. It was the longest evening of my life. I also experienced more urinations during the evening. When I was able to fall asleep early in the morning I experienced vivid bizzare dreams. One after another. I will keep taking the pill but will take in the morning instead."

Yakcam March 19, 2017

Microzide (hydrochlorothiazide) for High Blood Pressure: "Having gone through a long list of life's tribulations high BP and all that entails wasn't surprising. Tried lisinopril several times, still felt general malaise. Went to cardiologist everything checked out. I started taking hctz-after a day I felt great and two months in, still do. Curious now why it works and is it compensating for lack in some organ. I do not eat processed foods and am a healthy young woman of 65."

ferenc777 March 1, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "Works for me. Blood pressure went from 170/90 to 135/76 in just a couple of days. No noticeable side effects at all."

Miss sissy February 26, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "I took HCTZ for 12 years for blood pressure as well as 2 meds for diabetes. Recently I stopped taking HCTZ and started experiencing problems with hypoglycemia. I found that HCTZ was causing my blood sugar to rise making it necessary for the second diabetes med. When I stopped taking glipizide the hypoglycemia no longer occurred. HCTZ was a wonderful med for my blood pressure, it helped bring it down to normal levels, but as I found out 2 months ago, I was taking a second med for diabetes that I should not have had to take. If you are not diabetic it might be a good med for you, but if you are please be careful with this med."

misspj2 (taken for 10 years or more) February 17, 2017