User Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide

Also known as: Microzide, Esidrix, Ezide, Hydro Par, Carozide Diaqua Aquazide H

Hydrochlorothiazide has an average rating of 5.3 out of 10 from a total of 156 ratings on Drugs.com. 36% of those users who reviewed Hydrochlorothiazide reported a positive effect, while 37% reported a negative effect.

Diabetes Insipidus   10.0
Nephrocalcinosis   7.3
Edema   7.2
High Blood Pressure   5.0
Summary of Hydrochlorothiazide reviews 5.3 156 reviews

Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide

33 YO Nursing Mom · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I am currently nursing and have been dealing with high blood pressure since I gave birth. I was started on labetalol but my PCP wanted to try out HCTZ instead because he said beta blockers are not a first line drug for high BP. From day one of taking it I had a terrible headache that never went away after 3 weeks of taking it daily. My blood pressure (which was 160/98 prior to any medication) shot up to 172/118 at my last dr visit. In addition to the headaches, I also experienced some brain fog, tiredness, and weakness. I think I may have been severely dehydrated from HCTZ combined with breastfeeding (which also uses a lot of the water in your body), despite drinking water all day long... So this was not a good fit for me at all. I stopped taking it today and started back on the labetalol and my BP is now 142/86. I’ll be asking the dr to increase my labetalol dose or add on something else because I didn’t have a good experience with it.”

SB · Taken for less than 1 month February 6, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “My dr. first prescribed amlodipine which caused swelling in my ankles and feet, then prescribed Hydrochlorothiazide. I peed a lot, but swelling noticeably went down by the next day. Had some leg cramps, not sure if it’s related to the meds. Overall, I think it’s helped a great deal!”

Dee · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 1, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I was in hospital on June or July of last year and my blood pressure was elevated and this Dr. prescribed me this hydrochlorothiazide medication through my IV and my heart rate was completely out of control. It was so bad when they gave me that hydrothiazide the nurse had to put a defibrillator on me in case I had a heart attack my bp was 235/300+ my heart rate was 175 beats per minute.”

Dh · Taken for less than 1 month January 23, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I am sure this hydrochlorothiazide works great for some people but definitely not me. I was only on it 5 days and I almost had every side effect listed. Just recovering now. I could not eat a thing (for all 5 days)and then my blood pressure plummeted and then I fainted in my kitchen. Now I have the dreaded cough. Am hoping that a little increase in sodium will help. Any ideas how long the cough lasts? I have been off of it for 2 days so am hoping this clears up soon. Yeah, you do lose weight be but I thought it was going to be the end of me.”

Redem · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “Was on hydrochlorothiazide for 5 days. Constant and severe panic attacks. The water weight loss was nice. Ended up with violent shivers, went to the Er and had extremely low potassium especially but all my electrolytes across the board were very low. Had to have potassium given orally and by IV for hours just to get to a stable level and that is very painful. Doctor took me off it immediately.”

Katluv · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 24, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “This medication was ineffective for me - years ago, I had a mini-stroke, also known as a TIA. At first, hydrochlorothiazide helped a little bit, but when you have 158/90 BP, you need more than 5% reduction in it. This medication made me severely dehydrated and caused significant electrolyte loss. I quit it and tried Chlorthalidone, but that again failed - if you only have mild elevated BP, this could be OK; if you have significant hypertension, though, you are much better suited to a real medication, such as a beta blocker.”

yuyo September 23, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “When to my pc doctor for high blood pressure and he prescribed hydrochlorothiazide. I looked up the side effects and quickly decided that this medication is not anything I want to put in my system especially when one of the side is high blood pressure. All the side effects of this medication are very scary! If I had known I would never had filled this prescription. I am changing my PC because I have lost faith in him and do not believe in his competency to prescribe medication. A patient should learn to look up the side effects of their prescription and see for them self IF what they have been prescribe is right for them. If in doubt ask the doctor why he prescribed that medication and if he could prescribe something else.”

Emperor Palpitates August 22, 2020

For Edema: “Started taking 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide a couple days ago and I'm not sure if I should be on it or not. My heart was damaged about 7 years ago and I'm taking Metaprolol Suscinate 100 mg for that, but I've had some serious water retention. I've been on the water pill for about 3 days now, and the last 2 I've had heart palpitations. Bad ones too. like a beat skipped every 5-25 beats and it's lasted for over 2 hours. The thing is, I took the water pill at around 6 am and I didn't have any issues all day. It wasn't until around 11 pm the palpitations started. Since the water pill has a half life of 6-15 hours, I shouldn't be having any effects that I didn't have earlier when it was at full strength, right? Not sure what to do, but it's been great at reducing the water retention, so I'm at a loss here.”

Mj · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I was put on hydrochlorothiazide due to my BP 150/86. I took it in the morning and very soon afterwards my BP went to 171/112. I felt dizzy, headache, I felt like something was really wrong with me. I went to the hospital and they said I was having a horrible reaction. After 2 days of not taking it my BP went back to what it was. It's great if it works for you but for me I'm going to try diet and exercise.”

kevin · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 23, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I was on thiazide for 10 years, I started to get bad gout, and developed psoriasis on elbows and knees and it was getting out of control. At the time I didn’t realize it was the side effect of hydrochlorathiazide. So I got a new doctor as my old one retired, he didn't like thiazides so I got off it. After a year my gout has gone, psoriasis is gone, nails are smooth, skin feels better. I hope this helps some people.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Took this medicine for about three weeks, 25 mg, along with Lisinopril 10 mg. Did nothing much to lower blood pressure. Ended up in emergency room after three weeks with low sodium levels. Dr lowered dosage to 12.5 mg and increased Lisinopril to 20 mg daily. After lowering dosage it didn’t help. Family doctor finally took me completely off the drug said I was allergic to it. Got to keep sodium levels checked for awhile. Glad I’m off. Still on Lisinopril.”

Jean · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 17, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I am 62 and have been on hydrochlorothiazide for 8 months for high blood pressure. I Have developed side effects of a severe itchy rash with blistering. It is helping with excess fluid that Lisinopril couldn't manage for BP. The rash and blistering is getting worse. However, I also suspect skin issues might be due to Levothyrozine or Synthroid. Has anyone ever experienced skin problems with Hydrochlorozide? I have stopped both but know it takes time to clear system. Read lots of reviews on bad skin issues on Synthroid use. Has to be one or both of meds for sure?”

Mom · Taken for 10 years or more January 14, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I've been on HCTZ for over a decade and haven't really had any problems until the past year or so. I was taken off of it because of failing kidney function and was surprised to see the change. I had developed horrific leg cramps and foot numbness a couple years ago that I blamed on my back issues. I'm now off this med and realizing that these were side effects of this med. Today I can feel my feet today and I haven't had a leg spasm in days. These spasms were constant and severe enough that they used to make me have to jump out of bed at night.....many times a night! Cramps were in my hands, my back, upper and lower legs and hips. I've been off of this med for 5 days only and wonder what other symptoms might also go away that I didn't pay attention to. Feeling more alert today too!”

Lily · Taken for less than 1 month November 20, 2019

For Edema: “I actually started off taking Lasix which increased urination but I didn't see much improvement with the swelling in my ankles and feet. Then I tried this medication and the swelling improved greatly within the first 24 hours! I can see the bones in my ankles again.. I'd forgotten what they looked like! Not sure why this worked when Lasix didn't but I'm thrilled with the results.”

Erik A October 8, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I was only on HCTZ 12.5mg, along with Losartan 50mg, for five dosages and it caused some bad physical and mental side effects. They included panic attacks, headaches, pressure behind the eyes, lightheadedness, confusion, foggy feelings, being tired and also unable to sleep, lack of appetite, and probably more that I am forgetting. I also fainted twice, within 15 minutes of each other, on the evening of my third dose, which included spending three hours in the ER to recover from massive dehydration. I had a follow up appointment with my PCP earlier today, prior to my sixth dosage, and he told me to stop taking it. I have been off it for only 28 hours and the side effects are gone! I still have a mild headache, but it is considerably better than the past couple of days. I know medication reacts differently for every person, but, for me, it was not worth taking this medications/dosage, which did lower my blood pressure a small amount, compared to all of the side effects I experienced.”

krysto · Taken for less than 1 month October 7, 2019

For Edema: “Took 25mg for two days. swelling down some 30%. Extreme weakness and dizziness (86 year old male) Awaiting callback from my MD.”

KB · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2019

For Edema: “I took hydrochlorothiazide 12.5mg for swollen ankles in my late 20s. I ended up in the ER with a HR of 130 and BP of 170/120. I took it one other time just to see if it was the med and it was!! Horrible chest palpitating and anxiety with them. No one can tell me why this med had opposite effects. All I can think is possibly wasting of too much potassium?”

Stonemaker · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 29, 2019

For Nephrocalcinosis: “I have been taking 25mg hydrochlorothiazide for kidney stones for 2 months and so far I have experienced vision problems, extreme constipation (even with the 2 stool softeners a day my dr prescribed), non-existent libido, headaches and fatigue/weakness. Not sure if the fatigue is associated with the medication or the inability to have a regular BM. Awful medication. Will ask tomorrow for a 24-hour urine culture to see if my numbers have changed. Need to get to get off this medication sooner rather than later.”

Richard September 23, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I am 67 years old and was diagnosed with high blood pressure in 2000. My doctor prescribed a daily dose of 25mg of Hydrochlorothiazide and I have taken it all these years with no side effects. It has worked well for me and keeps my BP in the range of 125/85. I am sorry to read that others have had problems with the drug. I consider myself very fortunate.”

gd · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 30, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Started getting headaches after 3 months, then developed capillaritis over next few months. Started on hands, went up my arms then covered my legs. It was horrible. Dermatologist took biopsy and ran bloodwork and has noted my medical record that my condition was drug induced. Thankfully after stopping this poison, the rash went away but it took 8 weeks to completely clear.”

AJC · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 5, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I'm a 50 year old female. I was on Hydrochlorothiazide for 1 year and 3 months for uncontrolled high blood pressure which landed me in the ER with a hypertensive crisis. The last 4 months of taking the med I had been experiencing terrible side effects. Most notably was the skin reaction to sunlight. Severe photosensitivity, toxicity. I would break out in a sun rash on all exposed skin including face neck chest and arms within 10 minutes of sun exposure. I started having kidney pain that would wake me at night. I chose taper off the BP med and began to limit sodium intake to 1500mg per day not exceeding 2000 mg and taking 300mg of potassium supplement daily along with D3 vitamin. I eat 1 cup of oatmeal and 6 oz of blueberries every day. Pleased to say I no longer take Hydrochlorothiazide. Even happier to report BP is averaging 115/70 every day and the side effects are gone.”

Danielle43 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 31, 2019

For Edema: “Doctor added 50mg hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) daily to the 80mg furosemide I have been taking due to swelling and water retention caused by CHF. Seems to have helped some with leg swelling and breast tenderness plus BP has dropped to an average of 128/72.”

Rocky · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 18, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “My 79 yr old mother has experienced very high blood pressure. She had been taking HCTZ for four months which helped lower her BP but ever since she had a persistent very dry cough to the point of choking each time. She stopped this med. and the coughing stopped after just a few days. Her cardiologist said there was no such side effect as coughing... but I insisted with our family doctor to take her off that med. Listen to your loved ones as too often the doctors don't take their complaints seriously. If I would not have insisted she would still be taking HCTZ.”

Mikey · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 17, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “The drug does its job but the side effects of migraine like headaches makes it impossible to take for a long time. I have to take it twice a week so I don't have continuous headaches. The other side effect is extreme muscle soreness in the back and neck”

Sheilah · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Does not work like my last white and blue ones, does Not make me pee!”