User Reviews for Chlorthalidone

High Blood Pressure   4.0
Edema   4.0

Reviews for Chlorthalidone

Mary · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2021

For Edema: “I force myself to take this, but just can't do it. I was experienced severe short of breath all day. I pee more without this pill. Very bad and painful experience, my chest and back are still sore.”

Sunny · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 7, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been using Chlorthalidone 20mg for over 7 years now, since my early fifties, and I could not be happier. My blood pressure level lowered from the start, never had any side effects. I am completely satisfied with the medication.”

Brenda · Taken for less than 1 month November 19, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Although it did lower blood pressure, the side effects were horrible for me, so I had to stop it immediately. I started getting a loss of balance feeling, very weird to describe. Open spaces (for example a space open parking lot) would make me feel like I was going to fall. I always need to hold on to a cart or anything while standing. At first I thought it was just me, or a mental thing, but later realized it was this damn pill!! When I would walk it felt so weird, felt light headed, a bit of confusion too. I stopped taking it and felt better within 2 days. Now I have to get on a new pill and hope it doesn’t have no yucky side effects!!”

Johnny October 1, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Chlorthalidone is a great medicine. Depending on the generic manufacturer, this medicine could be very good or very bad. I had used Chlorthalidone manufactured by Rising Pharma and it is excellent. On the other hand, I have used chlorthalidone manufactured by Nivagen Pharma and this is useless and I think, it is fake. If the medicine is supposed to control the blood pressure and it is found that it failed to function, patients should be allowed to sue the manufacturer. Generics made by the US registered in overseas companies are the main culprits and it is time the public put their eyes on them. Again, Drugs.com is protecting these bad companies by the type of questioning. The ratings should mention the manufacturer's name such as Nivagen Chlorthalidone, Mylan Chlorthalidone, Rising Pharma chlorthalidone. The one star rating I gave is for Drugs.com itself because it has posed the questions wrongly. Let Drugs.com contact me if it questions my points of view”

TT · Taken for less than 1 month November 16, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Chlorthalidone helped me with my blood pressure to go down but the side effects were just too much. I felt high and drunk on this medicine and I had only taken it for 3 days. The feeling would come in waves. I was prescribed 25mg's once daily. My vision was very blurry and I became very confused and disoriented. It became difficult to walk. My legs cramped. I had heart flutters and irregular heartbeat for a few minutes. I had horrible anxiety and panic attacks on this med. I also had sharp pains in my toenails and my fingernails. My voice became hoarse and my eyes became bloodshot red with lots of pressure in my eyes. The room was spinning and I kept getting dizzy spells when I walked. I could not function on this. I could not concentrate or complete my daily tasks. I slept most of the day because of it. I stopped taking it and I feel better more and more every day. It was extremely scary to be on! I will never take this medicine again! It is definitely not for me!”

Nicole · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Let me start off by saying this medication is HORRIBLE!!! Let me share my story... I’m a 27 year old female . Diagnosed with hypertension. I’ve been on metoprolol for a few months but since my blood pressure continued to raise my doctor suggested trying chlorthalidone 25 mg To add to the mix .Within 2 days of taking this pill I was in the ER. First symptom I noticed was my heart racing extremely fast (145bpm) and my blood pressure spiked to about 179/110 I got really worried . I had never seen my BP that high . Usually 145/95 is my usual.My muscles were weak in my legs and I was feeling very fatigued. Turns out the hospital said I had low potassium and dehydration. The 2 symptoms this medication is known for . I even drank my normal 100 oz of water daily Both days while taking this medication . And still was dehydrated. The hospital told me this medication is rarely given anymore for this reason. Please if your prescribed this, be careful!!”

MOMAFE · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 14, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “After being on chlorthalidone the following has happened. Yes, it lowered my BP, then after 3 months out of now where I couldn't walk, had knee pain, went to the ER and I left on crutches with Ibuprofen. After 3 more months I had pain in my ankle- sharp pain, like pins and needles jabbing me constantly. At nights my hips are hurting even burning sensations. Now I have finally figured it out, it is the side effects of chlorthalidone.”

Thisgirl · Taken for less than 1 month June 11, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Never taking this medication chlorthalidone again. After 3 days rapidly increased my heart rate and gave me horrible palpitations. Sent me to the hospital & now I have to recover and try not to exert myself at all or else I'm faced with my heart rate shooting up to 170. It helped my blood pressure a bit but anything that makes my heart go through such strain isn't worth it.”

Medical Mystery February 19, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I did not have any noticeable side effects on the drug (except more frequent urination), but it did nothing to improve my high blood pressure, which hovered around 138/85 both before & while on the med. Dr doubled my dose. Still no impact. So when script ran out, I opted not to pay for more, and my dr was fine with it. Well, I experienced MAJOR water retention when I went off. Like gaining 12 lbs in about 2 days. I normally weigh 135 lbs and have never had a problem with water retention before. My calves and ankles doubled in size and felt uncomfortably tight. My face and stomach looked bloated. So my doctor advised I go back on and slowly wean off of it. Sure enough, lost the lbs when I went back on, but always came back once I gradually stopped taking altogether So now I have to remain on a diuretic for a condition I never had before I started then stopped this drug. And my blood pressure is still high, so Dr wants to add Lisinopril, but the side effects I've read about that terrify me!”

Aarika · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 2, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been taking Chlortalidone for almost 2 years. It has done wonders for me and my cardiologist put me on this since Lasix was not working. Like many people on here I did have pain in my feet and joints. That's only because it is a diuretic and it gets rid of more than just salt. You have to take a multi vitamin and constantly load your system. I also skip a day between dosages so I don't lose too much minerals. Otherwise I love the medicine.”

Grumpy · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 6, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “After taking Chorthalidone for a couple of years I ran out and has to get a new prescription. With none to take I discovered that the muscle pain that I had been fighting went away. I keep track of my blood pressure and they are same with and without. So no more Chlorthalidone. If you are fighting muscle pain you may want to try this.”

Ana · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I would give zero stars if I could. I am severely allergic to sulfa medications of which Hygroton is related to. The doctor and the pharmacist told me that because of it's chemical structure only a very very tiny portion of people have an allergic reaction to Hygroton. Well, I am one of them. After only 3 doses, my throat started tightening and feeling itchy, my voice was hoarse , sneezing and watery eyes and I was overwhelmed with a feeling of impending doom. Went to ER where they started IV and gave me a ton of meds and I am now on high dose prednisone for a week. So, be very cautious if you are allergic to sulfa and are given this drug. Trust your instincts if you start having symptoms and go to the ER. 3 days later, still waiting for a call back from the doctors office.”

Me · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 3, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Been taking chlorthalidone for a few years but I hate it. Have nausea, headache, rash, peeling skin, pins and needles, swollen ankles, hoarse throat, and more. I am trying to find something without side effects but doc doesn’t care. It is better than lisinopril which is Brazilian viper snake venom or losartan that harms muscles so bad you can’t go up steps. And losartan has been recalled.”

Donna · Taken for 10 years or more December 29, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been taking 25mg of Chlorthalidone for at least 15 years now after having too many side effects from other blood pressure meds. I was first prescribed 50mg of Chlorthalidone from a cardiologist who I went to on my own, after refusing to be given a third med to counteract side effects from the first two BP meds my PCP gave me. I found that when I walked or did yard work 50mg lowered my BP too much. So I asked for the lower dose. I am a 76 yr old that is active. Also I make sure I keep plenty of potassium in my diet. I only take two meds, this one for BP and another one for high cholesterol. I am very happy with Chlorthalidone. I always ask for the lowest dose possible when taking a new med. I've had bad experiences when they just try larger doses but not with Chlorthalidone.”

Problem child · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 26, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I opted for this drug when other BP drugs nearly caused me to have a nervous breakdown from the side effects. I went to the emergency room with shortness of breath, heart rhythm problem, extremely high blood pressure 208/120, so sick I couldn't stand up. The doctors have me psychotic medicine and sent me home. At home I almost lost my mind and sent back to the emergency room, this time they gave me benadryl and I stopped taking all the prescribed meds and I started feeling better. Sent to my primary dr. he recommended this drug and it has been working until the pharmacy tells me they can no longer get it for me. So I will be going without meds because the pharmacist says he can't get any more from this manufacturer.”

amelia h April 16, 2009

For Edema: “I have tried this medication but in the spanish version (clortalidona) and it works miracales. I love it , because I have a lot of fluid retention. I take it 1-2 times a week and I feel a lot lighter. You can really tell the difference.”

Fair Go · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 12, 2020

Hygroton (chlorthalidone) for High Blood Pressure: “My average HP 125 to 145 by 65 to 90. After taking these 50mg and 25mg hygroton tablets under doctor's advice. my body become very itchy, rash and hives especially around my neck and back and ears, also pin and needles on my ankles and tiredness during the days.”

andycl May 12, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: “I am male mid-50s and have taken many hypertension meds, most with some level of side-effects. I have settled on 2 with positive side-effects that work okay (captopril and amlodipine), and chlorthalidone with no side-effects that I am aware of and which pounds the numbers down the most. One of the most highly regarded medicine trials, called ALLHAT, found this to be the best. Not sure why it's not one of the first to be prescribed.”

Franjacks · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 1, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been on a lot of this type of medication. Benicar almost did me in and I was traveling far from home. Different doctors have prescribed a lot of different meds. I cannot take this type of pill. I almost become crippled with chlorthalidone. It weakens my knees and legs and ankles. I am a type II diabetic on insulin. My morning glucose tests run between 230 and 246. ”

Anonymous November 4, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: “Doctor prescribed me this medication for my elevated blood pressure. Mostly due to my anxiety. Only took pill for 2 days before ending up in the hospital for an extreme heart rate. Stopped taking the pill. But suffered with fast heart rate for the next 2 days.”

EDS · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 11, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “This drug is amazing. Using it for about 8 years and 25mg is all I need to keep my pressure under control. The best part is it's inexpensive and has virtually no side effects (potassium is an issue as with all diuretics and sometimes I get a rash). I tried hydrochlorothiazide and it was useless. This is the only one for me.”

John-S September 3, 2016

For Edema: “I am 57 with sporadic edema, and was given this drug because I asked for something less powerful than what I was taking. 2 days later, I was in the emergency room, having difficulty breathing and racing heart rate with almost no exertion. Symptoms went away a day after stopping the drug. Perhaps my physician mis-prescribed this but it almost did me in. Awful reaction.”

Explosion May 6, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: “It brought down blood pressure but the side effect were bad eg severe headache, cramping and diarrhea so not worth taking. I had no energy which made hard to even go to work. I stopped taking these as the side effects made it not worth while”

Flamingo6 June 19, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: “I was already diabetic with hypomagnesia issues, hypercholerstolemia, and only a slightly elevated BP 0f 130/80 in the doctor's office (117/70 outside). My diabetes was well-controlled, but after 3 days on this medication at 25 mg, I had doubled (yes double) my fasting levels and was having significant muscle cramps. This was the only change.”

Jt · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 4, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Chlorthalidone gave me horrible migraines, ear pressure and intermittent episodes of confusion and loss of balance. It did significantly lower my BP but, the side effects weren’t worth it.”

RC · Taken for less than 1 month October 23, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Hoarse, dizzy, joint pain, acne, depression, no energy, no thanks.”

Jt · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 22, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “It worked well at decreasing my systolic BP but, gave me horrible migraines. I also had pins and needles in my feet and some days I felt really weak and out of it like I had an electrolyte problem.”

seminole11 · Taken for less than 1 month October 6, 2013

For High Blood Pressure: “Caused fatigue, leg cramps, nausea.”