User Reviews for Acetazolamide

Glaucoma
5.7

Summary of Acetazolamide reviews 6.7 112 reviews

Reviews for Acetazolamide

For Glaucoma: "I am home from cataract surgery have taken 3 pills. The soles of my feet were tingling with such intensity they hurt. Did not last long, then around my mouth started tingling, feels like I ate as mango which I am highly allergic to. Afraid to take the last one"

Sheryl (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2018

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I was diagnosed in 2013, I was told you have pressure headaches, and I thought no big deal. I stopped going to my Neuro Dr and he failed to give me the actual Dx or even tell me how serious my DX is. I only learned I have IIH in 2018 when I requested my medical records, due to a worsening of my headaches, pulsating tinnutis, dizziness, visual disturbance, eye pain, pressure, horrific headaches, and feeling like I will live with a migraine like headache everyday of my life. I don't know about anyone else but when you start to think Trepanation (making a hole in your head) could be a good thing you know it is bad. I am now taking Acetazolamide again. Day 2: change in taste buds, carbonated drinks taste awful, cheese is terrible... Tingling in lips, face and hands. Moderate stomach pain. Feelings of lethargy, decreased appetite, generally feel unwell. My Dr advised some or all will go away."

Persephone (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2018

For Hydrocephalus: "I have Chiari Malformation Type 1. (Basically, part of my brain is squeezing through the opening at the base of the skull where the spinal cord enters, and is putting pressure on the spinal cord - it's a congenital thing in almost all cases, but for me wasn't diagnosed until age 34. I have scoliosis, chronic pain, and chronic migraines all caused by the Chiari.) Was put on 125mg Diamox twice a day. So far it's reduced the severity of my migraines but not their frequency, and hasn't done anything for the pain. The tingling is the only side effect that hasn't gone away, and most of the time it doesn't bother me, but sometimes it's intense enough that I feel like I'm suffering oxygen deprivation from hyperventilating - my hands even start to go stiff. If I didn't know it was a meds side effect it'd be pretty worrying. Still, more pros than cons for me."

Moldy (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2018

For Glaucoma: "I took this medicine once and the side effects are horrible. It decreases my potassium to the point that I felt the pressure on my head and it feels like I was about to collapse. My whole body started to feel numb and I was shaking and scared. (I was about to panic when I felt that numbness all over my body ) but I stayed calm and rested but I can still feel the tingling sensation. I pee a lot , dizziness and I feel like it triggers my anxiety. But this medicine helped my eye pressure. I just took this once and I will never take that again. Earlier I went to my opthamologist and he is kind of shocked that I said I was about to collapse and he said that don't take that medicine because of the side effects. Right now I can still feel the tingling in my fingers and foot. Ijust ate banana and it helps..."

Mika June 22, 2018

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I felt horrible for the first two weeks after being diagnosed with pseudotumor cerbri, and taking the medicine 1000mg a day. The tingling in my hands face and toes comes and goes. I have had no more headaches or pressure in my sinuses since the first few weeks of starting it."

Brittany April 20, 2018

For Glaucoma: "I was diagnosed with intermediate uveitis 5 weeks ago and recently started on Diamox 2 weeks ago after my eye pressure started increasing from the steroid drops I am on. The first couple days I was much more tired and almost foggy minded. Also had to urinate much more often. Than after the first couple days, my body got very used to it. The only main symptom I have now is light tingling in my feet. My eye pressure was down from 39 to 28 in a weeks time."

Keilah (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2018

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Edema: "I was given diamox to treat bilateral ringing in the ears, headaches and pressure behind my eyes. I am 39 years old and I have lived with ringing in my ears all of my life. I have tried every available option out there to treat tinnitus and nothing has worked. I was referred to a new specialist dealing with ear diseases and he asked me a few questions and then prescribed diamox. Within 2 hours of taking diamox the ringing in my ears stopped completely and the pressure behind my eyes went away as well as headaches I've dealt with for years. I was shocked that this medicine is working as one of the side effects was ringing in the ears but I am having the opposite effect."

lei (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2018

For Glaucoma: "This is the third time taking acetazolamide. The main side effect for me is the eggy taste inmy mouth, constant loose bowels, numbness in my hands and feet and face, feeling cold, tired and week. think I've tried almost every eye drop on the market and pressures are still over 40. I'm on this medication for 2 months four times a day. My operation is on 3/5/18 really hoping the side effects ease off soon it's beginning to get me down."

mrs welsh (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2018

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Glaucoma: "Its a good medicine to decrease the Eye pressure. While taking this tab - depression and dark thoughts are more and I have no interest in food, and also my hands tickle like they are in water. Now I've stopped the medicine, my eye pressure become normal and constant. After stopping the medicine it takes a few days to decrease all the worst symptoms. "

RAMKEY February 17, 2018

For Hydrocephalus: "I am currently on this medication 500mg 2x's a day to treat the excess fluid gain on my brain that causes seizures. The first dose of this medication I instantly had a really bad taste for soda and for most anything that I ate or drank. I experienced extreme tiredness dizziness headaches and had a decrease in appetite. After about 2 days I noticed numbness and tingling in my hands and feet ringing in my ears a stabbing pressure pain in my eyes and abdominal pain I had to pee every 20-30 min and had extreme diarrhea instantly after every meal, all my bowel movements are diarrhea. After telling my neurologist about it he said they are common and to take once a day for 2 weeks to let my body adjust then back to 2x's. I fluctuate back and forth with the once and twice a day because he will not let me stop taking it and all of the affects still remain after 8 months of treatment but it has decreased the fluid levels on my brain and I lost 30 pounds are the only benefits"

BlessedMomof4 February 13, 2018

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I have been on Diamox for 3 weeks. I continue to have severe headaches still same pressure on my eyes and head. I can not stay awake taking this medicine. I get up and try to sit on couch and within 5 min I’m out. I see a Neurosurgeon in 3 days and I hope he can help me. I can’t even walk properly because my balance is so off. My wife is typing this as I speak."

NO123456789 February 5, 2018

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I am 18 years old and I was diagnosed with pseudotumor cerebri after an allergic reaction to long term use of tetracyclines for acne. I went to the ER twice experiencing persistent, debilitating migraines, double vision, and one eye turned to face inward towards my nose, and they were unable to relieve any of it. My eye doctor, after a month of different testing, diagnosed me with pseudotumor cerebri and a neurologist started me on diamox and within two weeks my eye turned straight again, and the headaches and double vision were gone. I experienced the common tingling in my hands and feet, difficulty drinking carbonated beverages, small rashes, and lethargy from diamox, but it was all bearable after a week and within a month I am fixed."

AubreyH December 19, 2017

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "All I have to say is that this pill has made my life so much better. Three years ago this pseudotumor cerebri started after having my first born. I was at my heaviest at 245lb pounds. Ever since I've never been the same until now although I deal with the side effects (sleepy, muscle weakness , tiredness, tingling ) being sleepy has been the worst to cope with because I'm a mother and I have things to do BUT at least some days I'm able to function well and that's better than nothing. I also take Potassium which helps a lot for the tingling !!! I hope one day I no longer have to take these pills and finally have my life back and enjoy it ! BTW I'm 21 yrs old"

Estelita (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 18, 2017

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I have been on Diamox since 2004 when I was first diagnosed with a pseudotumor cerebri. I was hospitalized for 5 days after experiencing paralysis in my legs, severe headaches, nausea and visual impairment. I have tried to stop taking the medication but had to return to it due to the severe headaches and cranial swelling. I have constant problems with electrolyte deficiencies and have to take additional medications to alleviate other problems. This is still the best treatment I have experienced. In addition to this condition, I also have Lupus, HBP, Hypothyroidism and I am Bi-polar."

matalhari December 4, 2017

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Side effects far worse than Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension (IIH) it's self. Constantly nauseous, made no difference to headaches/pressure, suffered with slight breathing difficulties & palpitations, the tingling in hands and feet were more like cramp than tingling in the end... the list goes on.."

Em785 November 12, 2017

For Glaucoma: "My eye pressure was up in the 40s and Dr. gave me 1 pill only to help get it down. About 20 mins later I started feeling numbness all over my legs, arms, nose and upper lip. It was annoying but not painful. I was needing to pee very often and was super low energy the rest of the day. Glad I only had to take the 1 pill. It only slightly helped the eye pressure issue."

Alethya September 20, 2017

For Glaucoma: "For lowering pressure the medication is very effective, however the side effects are a nightmare. I get tingling sensations everywhere, dehydration, increased urine, drowsiness. It doesn't help that I'm also a teenager who needs to concentrate on my studies so it's a miracle I managed to get through school recently."

VPenguin September 3, 2017

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I was diagnosed with Pseudotumor Cerebri in February 2015. When I got pregnant with my son I gained over 60lbs. I had him in May 2014 and didn't have any symptoms until October 2014 when my eyesight went out for a second or two and it didn't happen again. I didn't pay it any mind until in January 2015 it started getting worse. My vision would go in and out for about 2-5 seconds at a time. I finally seen the ophthalmologist who said my optic nerves were swollen & referred me to a neurologist who had me do an MRI, 1 spinal tap (where my pressure was so high at 44, so they relieved some of the spinal fluid down to 20), then they finally decided to put me on Acetazolamide 500mg ER. The only cons were the metallic taste and tingling."

Dejanee (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 17, 2017

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Works amazingly!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 24, 2017

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Mountain Sickness / Altitude Sickness: "Anyone planning to take this medication for altitude sickness prophylaxis, I recommend you do a trial run at home first. I took this medication to hike the inca trail and started it the day before flying to Cusco. I developed a rare side effect of blurred vision/myopia which came on about an hour after the second dose of diamox. The myopia lasted for 72 hours after ceasing the medication. It almost ruined my trip but fortunately vision returned just in time to start the hike. I went on dexamethasone after that for prophylaxis. No side effects but unfortunately the Dex didn't work as I got altitude sickness.........but that's another story!"

Susie121 (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "My experience with acetazolamide has been okay. I started taking it after my lumbar puncture to relieve the pressure. (I got IIH because it was a rare side effect of an antibiotic I was on for my acne, minocycline) it has been VERY effective at relieving the pressure, but gives really annoying side effects, like tingling of my fingers, face, and toes. Like when I'm trying to sleep my feet tingle and go crazy and it makes it impossible to sleep. It also made me have little to no appetite and I have lost 20 pounds in about 2 months. I my neurologist told me that long term use of this medication can cause kidney damage, but 6 months to a year shouldn't be a worry. (I am only going to be on diamox for 6 months. I've been on it for 4 months)"

amandaqwertyqwerty (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2017

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I was just recently diagnosed with high intracranial pressure with no papilledema and a huge blind spot I my left eye. I was told that a spinal tap would only cause a leak since I have a connective tissue disorder. I got an MRI and CT and everyone said they were normal excect for Dr. Driscoll. She started me on diamox and it has done wonders!!! I can see at dark now and I don't have constant eye pain/pressure, neck pain or problems sleeping. I have to sleep with a soft cervical collar and had to raise the head of my bed to make sure the fluid continues to drain even when sleeping. I do have numbness and tingling but it's more amusing to me than painful. It is difficult to keep your CO2 levels at 22 but use alkaline h20"

Maribeth1999 (twitter) (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2017

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Confusion, lethargy, diarrhea, hyperchloremia, CO2 16, nausea, dizziness"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2017

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I was 19 when I was sent from my small town & county to have tests done. I'd had symptoms from age 12 when I was put on birth control pills for PCOS. The Dr from San Francisco put me on Diamox and prednisone and ordered my family Dr do a spinal tap when I had eye problems or severe headaches (he did at least 3/wk for 2yrs). My family Dr took me off the prednisone after a few months and I gained over 100lbs. The Diamox caused me weird side effects. My face was all "tingling", everything I ate or drank tasted metallic (especially if it was fruit or carbonated). Eventually the tingling started down my neck, chest, and hands/arms. So my Dr took me off it, gave me hydroclorathazide (it maybe misspelt). I've learned Diamox causes it a lot."

Chicogirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 18, 2017

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I'm 28 and I was diagnosed with Pseudotumor a little over two years now I've had a VP shunt an LP shunt and multiple lumbar punctures, I've been taking Acetazolmide and I've had no side effects so far... but I'm still having really bad headache's and swelling of my eyeballs, so yesterday my neurologist decided that instead of taking two pills in the morning and two pills at night, I'll start taking three pills in the morning and three pills at night. I just want to feel better!"

C Barnes March 19, 2017