User Reviews for Acetazolamide

Also known as: Diamox, Diamox Sequels

Learn more about Acetazolamide.

Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis 1 reviews 1 medications

5.4
Seizure Prevention 1 reviews 32 medications

Summary of Acetazolamide reviews 72 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Acetazolamide

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I absolutely depend on this medication. I am 22 years old and was diagnosed with Pseudotumor Cerebri mid April of 2016 and was severely sick...had an MRA, MRI, and a spinal tap done. I do not wish this illness on anyone. I'm stuck with this for the rest of my life. This medicine has helped a lot so I will continue on taking it. I do not have any negative side effects. I take 1500 mg."

Dani94 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I have only been on this stuff for a couple of weeks now but it has been a miracle drug for me. I have seen immediate relief. My visual disturbances dropped from a few times per hour to a few times per day. I'm hoping that improves further as my optic nerves have a chance to heal. I didn't think I had too bad of headaches before being diagnosed with PTC, but ever since I've been taking Diamox and the pressure has gone down my head feels normal again. It was like I had just got used to the pressure before treatment and didn't notice how bad it was until it was gone. As far as side effects, I have had some. I do get the tingles in my feet at times but it isn't too bad. And like others I can no longer drink carbonated beverages. Worth it."

Adam SD August 1, 2016

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Finally diagnosed with Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension without Papilledema after nearly 4 years of messing around with doctors who didn't believe anything was wrong, because my situation doesn't involve the optic disk swelling. Was started on Diamox 500mg a day...after 14 days severe stomach pain, I couldn't even drink water. Neurologist told me to stop taking it. The tingling, which is everywhere, turns to sheer pain if your out in the wind. By day 10 of taking the medicine, my lips started to purse on their own. My kids laughed because I had "duck face" for several days, even after stopping the med. Now I'm back on it, 125mg/day, same side effects. Sucks. Did not help my symptoms the first time, and hasn't yet."

kdg1220 (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Glaucoma: "Miserable! I was tired. Weak, couldn't stand or walk. My lips were chapped, burning and the corners of my mouth were red and raw. Food and drink burned when swallowed ."

Gfa July 13, 2016

For Glaucoma: "Extreme increase in high BLOOD pressure to the point that vein in my forehead enlarged & was pounding so hard it hurt & I was very frightened. I took atenolol25mg & .05mg of clonazepam which minimized I'mworst of pounding/pulsing in vein in forehead directly over /above left eye.Dr.Did not inform me of fact that I could not take vitamins and should supplement with potassium & that sudden discontinuation of medication is NOT advisable EXTREMELY ADVERSE & FEARFUL REACTION.REFUSE TO CONTINUE."

Boudica2331gmail.com (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2016

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I have been on diamox for ten years. Side effects are horrible. And I also have noticed more and more side effects the longer I take the meds. Without this medication I have seven to eight episodes weekly. It really a is a miracle drug!!!! For the tingling sensation I take emernc it's a vitamin and immune booster. I don't drink any sodas at all or anything that has bubbles. I also found a whole list of medications and food you can't take while taking diamox on Pinterest and as long as I stay on top of everything I feel better"

Cindywim April 25, 2016

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Diamox put me in remission after about six months, but it began to cause tinnitus and hearing problems. My hearing is fine now, but I cannot take Diamox again if my PTC returns. Just something to keep in mind. Tinnitus and hearing issues are considered rare side effects, but they can happen."

MaraNaraJara March 26, 2016

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Diamox didn't work and I hate it"

Yo13674267 March 2, 2016

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Have been on Diamox X 3 weeks. Started on 250mg bid for one week, then increased to 750mg X 1 week, then increased to 500mg bid for total complete dose of 1000 MG a day. Numbness and tingling of hands and feet started almost immediately after 1st dose. With the increase to 750mg, (500mg in am and 250mg in afternoon ) I started getting horrible knee pain in both knees. I still have pulsing sound in Right ear. Constant, remains unchanged. Optic disks and papilledema and retinal damage due to IIH. Have not seen any changes or benefits due to this medication at this time. The side effects are rough. I was told by neurologist my body would automatically adjust over time to the side effects. Not sure how much longer I can continue on the med."

Thump21 February 27, 2016

For Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis: "Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis is an ion channel disorder which causes me to have partial to full body paralysis and daily generalized weakness, not to mention other medical problems. Acetazolamide helps keeps my potassium up (along with Potassium Chloride - immediate release) to a safe level the majority of the time. I have chronic mild metabolic acidosis and have had one kidney stone in the past 16 yrs due to Acetazolamide, but it has been well worth the side effects."

T.May (taken for 10 years or more) January 11, 2016

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Day 21 I had completely lost my eyesight, imagine that. Losing 20/10 vision at 25 years old. I was diagnosed with chiari type 1 malformation and intracranial hypertension. 100mg of prednisone a day, 1500 mg of diamox a day. The side effects, I get a lil tingle in my feet for a minute maybe 4x a day, carbon drinks taste weird. I don't drink soda but due to food poisoning on New Years I didn't have to much of a choice. The diamox dropped my pressure in both eyes to 5 which is low. But I am regaining vision no peripheral vision yet but I am blessed to have something. Sitting in a room for weeks of blackness and opening Christmas gifts in front of your family with no sight I appreciate my family life so much more. Truely blessed for my family."

Akc119 (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2016

For Mountain Sickness / Altitude Sickness: "I have used Diamox (generic form) at least six times and swear by the medication. Prior to using, I would get headaches and nausea so bad it would ruin the weekend trip. This drug is truly a miracle for people who suffer with the effects of altitude problems. Very few side effects that I experience. Tingling in your fingers and toes on occasion, little tired, but not extreme. Carbonated drinks are strange tasting as well."

Cindi z December 7, 2015

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Glaucoma: "I have congenital glaucoma this medication was prescribed to me in 2009 the worse medication I've ever had. Tingling of the toes, fingers at times lips. Worse headache of my life and it's related to Diamox according to my doctor. The headache becomes so bad I can't think straight. It doesn't lower eye pressure for me in its entirety. But to a certain degree. Also, accompanied with this medication it falls down horribly on my stomach unbelievable pain as well as dizzy symptoms. Doctor stated to me that this medication does produce these side effects."

nygirl70 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 26, 2015

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "In the ER for the 2nd time with a horrific headache. The first time I was told my migraines escalated. I knew my body well enough to know this was no migraine. I started this medicine in the hospital for two days and can say this is the first time in over 6 months I have not had a headache. I can tolerate the tingling and the weird taste carbon has now but that is a minor inconvenience compared to head feeling like its in a world champion soccer game."

Big Azz Headache October 23, 2015

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Without the medication, I have major headaches, sinus headaches, one eye will begin to bulge, and my head will feel like a balloon. With the medication, I'm good."

Crawford_Master October 12, 2015

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I have had a less than par experience from this drug, but if you have been recently diagnosed with PTC, I would highly encourage you trying this as your course of treatment. Everybody reacts differently to medications and has different limitations in how far their willing to go to get help. I was diagnosed in April of 2015, but have had it for 4 years. Nothing ever showed on MRI's so they kept giving me migraine medicines but nothing ever worked. Once I was diagnosed and took the medicine the pressure went away, but the side effects started. Tingling and bad tasting carbonation is something that you can deal with when the bowling ball size pressure in your brain is gone. The worst side effect for me was the spacey and droggy-ness I felt."

Hollywoodosu16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2015

For Edema: "Been taking this for an autoimmune disorder that attacks my inner ear nerve. We're still working on determining which one. I am pretty much completely deaf in my right ear. (4%). My left one started going and I ran to a new DR. My ENT (specialized in this area) first put me on another diuretic (after steroid injections and treatments which worked, but were not a good long term treatment plan) and we noticed no improvement. Once on Diamox (generic) my speech recognition went from 72 to 88% over 2 months! Like many of you, it wasn't long before the side effects started. The tingling was immediate. But, my DR had warned me. I didn't know what to do about it, though. Until I saw your posts about Vitamin C"

T nic (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2015

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I have been taking this for a month and my blood sugar keeps dropping out. I feel terrible and weak all the time. I get numbness everywhere. I have three sons to care for and it's hard. I'm glad most of my symptoms seem to be normal as I have read yours. The pressure in my head hasn't lessened though. They gave me migraine medicine but I'm afraid to take it if it'll put me to sleep during the day. I keep thinking about calling my neurologist. I'd like to know what to do at this point."

Candyrolfe August 31, 2015

For Hydrocephalus: "I have postop hydrocephalus from a pineal cyst being removed with my pineal gland. I had brain surgery in December, all my symptoms went away, and then I got some double vision and my eyes showed papilledema. I had a spinal tap and went from 30 to 6 and then had a blood patch. I started my second round of diamox the day of the spinal tap. I remembered the tingling and no appetite and no taste for caffeine. I forgot I would pee all night and be tired for the first little while. Just ready for these first symptoms to pass. I'm on 500mg twice a day and gonna take vitamin c to help with tingling."

Klabugg August 30, 2015

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I absolutely hate it. Every time I take it I can't eat anything or drink anything with caffeine. It taste like copper or way off. After taking the medicine for 7months straight. I was in so much pain I couldn't walk I felt weak and sick. I took myself off and I felt great. But my eye sight hadn't changed. I delevoped carpal tunnel on this medicine. This is what that tingling sensation is. Get it checked. Remind y'all I'm only 27 yrs old. I shouldn't have all this. I recently started taking it again. And it's all the same symptoms again."

Robinrenee1987 August 21, 2015

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I was just diagnosed with IIH/PTC last week. My neuro started me on Diamox the same day. Although I have had tingling in my hands and feet as well as lethargy, the pressure behind my eyes has already started to go down. My ophthalmologist was very pleased today with the optic nerve scan and said there has been decrease of pressure in both eyes. A little tingle here or there and a bit of sleepiness is worth saving my vision! So far, I'm a happy girl!"

Omieliz July 13, 2015

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I've been on and off this medicine since 2006, I was told I'd be able to stop, but it has has not happened. It helps so much with the IH even with the tingling and taste issue side effects, I don't know what I'd do without it. I've had two spinal taps and I really do not enjoy that experience."

PennyChristine (taken for 10 years or more) July 3, 2015

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Good. It's only been two days, but I feel much better already. My foggy head feels like it's clearing, my eyes feel clearer, my headaches are minimal and I feel great. I'll come back and update in a few months, but I just wanted to offer my positive experience, because all you ever see here are negative reviews. Yeah, I've had a bit of tingling, but it's really nothing - just like normal pins and needles, which I was getting anyway, so I can't even tell if it's this or not; even if it is, it's not distressing in the least. I think I'm coping well because my neurologist said to me 'the people that don't do well on this medicine usually misinterpret the side effects as dangerous. They're not'. Now, I feel perfectly safe with the side effects."

Saywhat? (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2015

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Very good. Headache has gone, feeling much less foggy and dizzy. Everything's going well. It's only been two days, and I'll review in a month or two. I just want everyone who's scared of taking it because of the horror stories to realise it's not bad. I've had slight tingling, but it's just like pins and needles. I've lost 4lb (which I'm assuming is water). When my doctor prescribed it, he said that the people that stop taking it are those that misinterpret the symptoms as dangerous. This is a mild diuretic, and as such is very safe for most people. The tingling is normal - apparently Vit C can help, and I've taken one this morning and had no tingling. If you're thinking of taking it, try not to google reviews - most people with positive experiences don't comment, they just get on with their lives. I've vowed to come back to every IIH thread I can find and discuss my recovery to show that there are positive stories. My doctor says he gets a new diagnosis of this every week. It's not as rare as 1/2:100000. He sees it every week and he sees many people recover promptly. Yes, it's horrible. Yes, the symptoms feel like they'll last forever (especially if you google, because all you see are the worst-case scenarios. The ones who are over it just get on with their lives, though I wish more would come back and tell us!), but for most people, life becomes liveable again. I've had it 3 years now, diagnosed for 1 year, and on meds for 2 days, and I can feel a massive improvement."

Saywhat? July 1, 2015

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "i was diagnosed in 2014, and I can honestly say it has been a very difficult disease to handle......though I know there are much worse out there. I was put on Diamox and my headaches or vision problems did not improve, in fact they got worse. I have had more migraines since starting this than I ever did before. The side effects are awful........no appetite, foggy head (I am barely able to function day to day), nausea, everything you try to eat tastes AWFUL. I am glad this has worked for some, but I can not continue taking it."

Sarah G B June 9, 2015