User Reviews for Acetazolamide

Also known as: Diamox, Diamox Sequels

Learn more about Acetazolamide.

Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis 1 reviews 1 medications

Glaucoma 15 reviews 29 medications

5.6
Summary of Acetazolamide reviews 81 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Acetazolamide

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "This medication saved my vision and made my headaches go away. I have the side effects of metallic taste with fizzy drinks and some sexual dysfunction but it doesn't effect my daily life. I take 250mg three times a day."

Madip (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 16, 2017

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Diagnosed with Chiari Type 1 and Pseudotumor Cerebri in 2008. Started diamox and it changed my life. Within days I was feeling so much relief. Over time, my dose went up and the next move was an LP shunt which has worked wonders for almost 8 years. It's starting to fail now so my revision is scheduled and I'm back on diamox in the meantime. Yet again, symptoms under control with it. Yes I have weird tingling in my face hands and legs, and I can't drink carbonated beverages, oh well - I'm thankful to be functioning and not nauseous and dizzy and disoriented all day long. Diamox is the best thing other than my shunt for this disease. Very thankful for it."

Meltini (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 12, 2017

For Epilepsy: "Helps for spasms"

Spasms meds (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

For Seizure Prevention: "I have been on this drug for a month or so now because of daily/ chronic headaches that started after I was in a motorcycle accident. 8 years of my life spent every moment with a headache and I have been everywhere for help even to the Mayo clinic and no one could find a medication to help me. Finally this was prescribed as a last attempt since it is not FDA approved to treat headaches and since I have had at least 2 weeks with a headache that is much more improved than before I can actually function most days now. This medication causes me to have severe muscle aches, weakness, fatigue, tingling in hands, feet and face along with nausea but its still better than how I was before."

CatLady24 December 12, 2016

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I am almost 20 years old and was diagnosed about 3.5-4 weeks ago. I got a lumbar puncture and then started Diamox and it has been an awful experience.The first week and a half I was severely exhausted had nausea and the taste issue and basically wasn't functional. Then for about a week or so I seemed to be getting better until a few days ago when I've been very rapidly getting new symptoms/side effects like severe joint pain, itchy scalp, and waking up with my eyelids swollen half shut and then this morning my lips where extremely swollen. I had to go to the ER to make sure it wasn't an allergic reaction but it seems to be just a weird reaction to the meds (not allergic). I hate it. If I didn't have to take it, I wouldn't."

Anonymous 't (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2016

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "This drug has not helped relieve pressure, headaches or Visual Impairments in my case. My vision continues to go in and out without notice, waking up everyday with a headache and continue to have one well into the late evening before bedtime. The side effects are awful! I have lost 29lbs in THREE weeks! I am unable to hold anything down, everything tastes nasty or like I'm eating pennies. Constant fatigue and restlessness. The prickling in the hands and toes, not to mention the constant nausea. Every case is different. It's not working for me but could for someone else. I cannot tell anyone to NOT take a drug or TO take a drug for IIH. Because every case is different, everyone will see different results."

Janetta H (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2016

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I have been taking this medicine for only two weeks after being diagnosed with pseudotumor cerebri and it is awful. I feel like everything is getting worse. Before the medication I already had the ringing in my ears, the terrible headaches, and occasionally I had numbness of my face, hands, and legs along with many other symptoms. Now since taking this medication the ring and headaches are EXACTLY the same if not worse and my feet are killing me, they are constantly "asleep" with the feeling of tiny thumb tack jabs all over...it's multiple times a day, walking, standing, sitting, laying down, I feel worse now than I did before. I don't know what to do but I know I cannot continue like this. I know that everyone reacts differently."

Kaykay012014 (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2016

For Glaucoma: "I was taking Diamox twice daily for two weeks to reduce eye pressure before cataract surgery. Very effective in lowering pressure but side affects were trouble some. It makes you very tired, contiptated, dizzy, lack if appetite, some temporary hearing issues in one ear. A few days after stopping pills everything was back to normal."

HenrykZ September 23, 2016

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I was just diagnosed with Psuedotumor Cerebri after 3 years of medical issues. Started losing my eyesight and then they found a blood clot in the main artery of my brain. Once blood clot was treated still had fluid behind my eyes, headaches, foggy brain and no energy. The diamox has helped the foggy brain. The side effects weren't bad had tingling for few days, metallic taste and drowsiness.The drowsiness is the worst part because several other medicines I take cause drowsiness also. I did have pain in my joints for first two days but it went away. I have lost 8lbs since starting it. I will find out at the end of the month if the fluid build up behind my eyes is gone. I"

Calico40 (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2016

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I absolutely depend on this medication. I am 22 years old and was diagnosed with Pseudotumor Cerebri mid April of 2016 and was severely sick...had an MRA, MRI, and a spinal tap done. I do not wish this illness on anyone. I'm stuck with this for the rest of my life. This medicine has helped a lot so I will continue on taking it. I do not have any negative side effects. I take 1500 mg."

Dani94 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I have only been on this stuff for a couple of weeks now but it has been a miracle drug for me. I have seen immediate relief. My visual disturbances dropped from a few times per hour to a few times per day. I'm hoping that improves further as my optic nerves have a chance to heal. I didn't think I had too bad of headaches before being diagnosed with PTC, but ever since I've been taking Diamox and the pressure has gone down my head feels normal again. It was like I had just got used to the pressure before treatment and didn't notice how bad it was until it was gone. As far as side effects, I have had some. I do get the tingles in my feet at times but it isn't too bad. And like others I can no longer drink carbonated beverages. Worth it."

Adam SD August 1, 2016

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Finally diagnosed with Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension without Papilledema after nearly 4 years of messing around with doctors who didn't believe anything was wrong, because my situation doesn't involve the optic disk swelling. Was started on Diamox 500mg a day...after 14 days severe stomach pain, I couldn't even drink water. Neurologist told me to stop taking it. The tingling, which is everywhere, turns to sheer pain if your out in the wind. By day 10 of taking the medicine, my lips started to purse on their own. My kids laughed because I had "duck face" for several days, even after stopping the med. Now I'm back on it, 125mg/day, same side effects. Sucks. Did not help my symptoms the first time, and hasn't yet."

kdg1220 (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Glaucoma: "Miserable! I was tired. Weak, couldn't stand or walk. My lips were chapped, burning and the corners of my mouth were red and raw. Food and drink burned when swallowed ."

Gfa July 13, 2016

For Glaucoma: "Extreme increase in high BLOOD pressure to the point that vein in my forehead enlarged & was pounding so hard it hurt & I was very frightened. I took atenolol25mg & .05mg of clonazepam which minimized I'mworst of pounding/pulsing in vein in forehead directly over /above left eye.Dr.Did not inform me of fact that I could not take vitamins and should supplement with potassium & that sudden discontinuation of medication is NOT advisable EXTREMELY ADVERSE & FEARFUL REACTION.REFUSE TO CONTINUE."

Boudica2331gmail.com (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2016

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I have been on diamox for ten years. Side effects are horrible. And I also have noticed more and more side effects the longer I take the meds. Without this medication I have seven to eight episodes weekly. It really a is a miracle drug!!!! For the tingling sensation I take emernc it's a vitamin and immune booster. I don't drink any sodas at all or anything that has bubbles. I also found a whole list of medications and food you can't take while taking diamox on Pinterest and as long as I stay on top of everything I feel better"

Cindywim April 25, 2016

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Diamox put me in remission after about six months, but it began to cause tinnitus and hearing problems. My hearing is fine now, but I cannot take Diamox again if my PTC returns. Just something to keep in mind. Tinnitus and hearing issues are considered rare side effects, but they can happen."

MaraNaraJara March 26, 2016

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Diamox didn't work and I hate it"

Yo13674267 March 2, 2016

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Have been on Diamox X 3 weeks. Started on 250mg bid for one week, then increased to 750mg X 1 week, then increased to 500mg bid for total complete dose of 1000 MG a day. Numbness and tingling of hands and feet started almost immediately after 1st dose. With the increase to 750mg, (500mg in am and 250mg in afternoon ) I started getting horrible knee pain in both knees. I still have pulsing sound in Right ear. Constant, remains unchanged. Optic disks and papilledema and retinal damage due to IIH. Have not seen any changes or benefits due to this medication at this time. The side effects are rough. I was told by neurologist my body would automatically adjust over time to the side effects. Not sure how much longer I can continue on the med."

Thump21 February 27, 2016

For Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis: "Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis is an ion channel disorder which causes me to have partial to full body paralysis and daily generalized weakness, not to mention other medical problems. Acetazolamide helps keeps my potassium up (along with Potassium Chloride - immediate release) to a safe level the majority of the time. I have chronic mild metabolic acidosis and have had one kidney stone in the past 16 yrs due to Acetazolamide, but it has been well worth the side effects."

T.May (taken for 10 years or more) January 11, 2016

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Day 21 I had completely lost my eyesight, imagine that. Losing 20/10 vision at 25 years old. I was diagnosed with chiari type 1 malformation and intracranial hypertension. 100mg of prednisone a day, 1500 mg of diamox a day. The side effects, I get a lil tingle in my feet for a minute maybe 4x a day, carbon drinks taste weird. I don't drink soda but due to food poisoning on New Years I didn't have to much of a choice. The diamox dropped my pressure in both eyes to 5 which is low. But I am regaining vision no peripheral vision yet but I am blessed to have something. Sitting in a room for weeks of blackness and opening Christmas gifts in front of your family with no sight I appreciate my family life so much more. Truely blessed for my family."

Akc119 (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2016

For Mountain Sickness / Altitude Sickness: "I have used Diamox (generic form) at least six times and swear by the medication. Prior to using, I would get headaches and nausea so bad it would ruin the weekend trip. This drug is truly a miracle for people who suffer with the effects of altitude problems. Very few side effects that I experience. Tingling in your fingers and toes on occasion, little tired, but not extreme. Carbonated drinks are strange tasting as well."

Cindi z December 7, 2015

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Glaucoma: "I have congenital glaucoma this medication was prescribed to me in 2009 the worse medication I've ever had. Tingling of the toes, fingers at times lips. Worse headache of my life and it's related to Diamox according to my doctor. The headache becomes so bad I can't think straight. It doesn't lower eye pressure for me in its entirety. But to a certain degree. Also, accompanied with this medication it falls down horribly on my stomach unbelievable pain as well as dizzy symptoms. Doctor stated to me that this medication does produce these side effects."

nygirl70 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 26, 2015

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "In the ER for the 2nd time with a horrific headache. The first time I was told my migraines escalated. I knew my body well enough to know this was no migraine. I started this medicine in the hospital for two days and can say this is the first time in over 6 months I have not had a headache. I can tolerate the tingling and the weird taste carbon has now but that is a minor inconvenience compared to head feeling like its in a world champion soccer game."

Big Azz Headache October 23, 2015

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Without the medication, I have major headaches, sinus headaches, one eye will begin to bulge, and my head will feel like a balloon. With the medication, I'm good."

Crawford_Master October 12, 2015

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I have had a less than par experience from this drug, but if you have been recently diagnosed with PTC, I would highly encourage you trying this as your course of treatment. Everybody reacts differently to medications and has different limitations in how far their willing to go to get help. I was diagnosed in April of 2015, but have had it for 4 years. Nothing ever showed on MRI's so they kept giving me migraine medicines but nothing ever worked. Once I was diagnosed and took the medicine the pressure went away, but the side effects started. Tingling and bad tasting carbonation is something that you can deal with when the bowling ball size pressure in your brain is gone. The worst side effect for me was the spacey and droggy-ness I felt."

Hollywoodosu16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2015