User Reviews for Acetazolamide

Glaucoma
5.7

Summary of Acetazolamide reviews 6.7 107 reviews

Reviews for Acetazolamide

For Glaucoma: "I was diagnosed with intermediate uveitis 5 weeks ago and recently started on Diamox 2 weeks ago after my eye pressure started increasing from the steroid drops I am on. The first couple days I was much more tired and almost foggy minded. Also had to urinate much more often. Than after the first couple days, my body got very used to it. The only main symptom I have now is light tingling in my feet. My eye pressure was down from 39 to 28 in a weeks time."

Keilah (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2018

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Edema: "I was given diamox to treat bilateral ringing in the ears, headaches and pressure behind my eyes. I am 39 years old and I have lived with ringing in my ears all of my life. I have tried every available option out there to treat tinnitus and nothing has worked. I was referred to a new specialist dealing with ear diseases and he asked me a few questions and then prescribed diamox. Within 2 hours of taking diamox the ringing in my ears stopped completely and the pressure behind my eyes went away as well as headaches I've dealt with for years. I was shocked that this medicine is working as one of the side effects was ringing in the ears but I am having the opposite effect."

lei (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2018

For Glaucoma: "This is the third time taking acetazolamide. The main side effect for me is the eggy taste inmy mouth, constant loose bowels, numbness in my hands and feet and face, feeling cold, tired and week. think I've tried almost every eye drop on the market and pressures are still over 40. I'm on this medication for 2 months four times a day. My operation is on 3/5/18 really hoping the side effects ease off soon it's beginning to get me down."

mrs welsh (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2018

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Glaucoma: "Its a good medicine to decrease the Eye pressure. While taking this tab - depression and dark thoughts are more and I have no interest in food, and also my hands tickle like they are in water. Now I've stopped the medicine, my eye pressure become normal and constant. After stopping the medicine it takes a few days to decrease all the worst symptoms. "

RAMKEY February 17, 2018

For Hydrocephalus: "I am currently on this medication 500mg 2x's a day to treat the excess fluid gain on my brain that causes seizures. The first dose of this medication I instantly had a really bad taste for soda and for most anything that I ate or drank. I experienced extreme tiredness dizziness headaches and had a decrease in appetite. After about 2 days I noticed numbness and tingling in my hands and feet ringing in my ears a stabbing pressure pain in my eyes and abdominal pain I had to pee every 20-30 min and had extreme diarrhea instantly after every meal, all my bowel movements are diarrhea. After telling my neurologist about it he said they are common and to take once a day for 2 weeks to let my body adjust then back to 2x's. I fluctuate back and forth with the once and twice a day because he will not let me stop taking it and all of the affects still remain after 8 months of treatment but it has decreased the fluid levels on my brain and I lost 30 pounds are the only benefits"

BlessedMomof4 February 13, 2018

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I have been on Diamox for 3 weeks. I continue to have severe headaches still same pressure on my eyes and head. I can not stay awake taking this medicine. I get up and try to sit on couch and within 5 min I’m out. I see a Neurosurgeon in 3 days and I hope he can help me. I can’t even walk properly because my balance is so off. My wife is typing this as I speak."

NO123456789 February 5, 2018

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I am 18 years old and I was diagnosed with pseudotumor cerebri after an allergic reaction to long term use of tetracyclines for acne. I went to the ER twice experiencing persistent, debilitating migraines, double vision, and one eye turned to face inward towards my nose, and they were unable to relieve any of it. My eye doctor, after a month of different testing, diagnosed me with pseudotumor cerebri and a neurologist started me on diamox and within two weeks my eye turned straight again, and the headaches and double vision were gone. I experienced the common tingling in my hands and feet, difficulty drinking carbonated beverages, small rashes, and lethargy from diamox, but it was all bearable after a week and within a month I am fixed."

AubreyH December 19, 2017

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "All I have to say is that this pill has made my life so much better. Three years ago this pseudotumor cerebri started after having my first born. I was at my heaviest at 245lb pounds. Ever since I've never been the same until now although I deal with the side effects (sleepy, muscle weakness , tiredness, tingling ) being sleepy has been the worst to cope with because I'm a mother and I have things to do BUT at least some days I'm able to function well and that's better than nothing. I also take Potassium which helps a lot for the tingling !!! I hope one day I no longer have to take these pills and finally have my life back and enjoy it ! BTW I'm 21 yrs old"

Estelita (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 18, 2017

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I have been on Diamox since 2004 when I was first diagnosed with a pseudotumor cerebri. I was hospitalized for 5 days after experiencing paralysis in my legs, severe headaches, nausea and visual impairment. I have tried to stop taking the medication but had to return to it due to the severe headaches and cranial swelling. I have constant problems with electrolyte deficiencies and have to take additional medications to alleviate other problems. This is still the best treatment I have experienced. In addition to this condition, I also have Lupus, HBP, Hypothyroidism and I am Bi-polar."

matalhari December 4, 2017

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Side effects far worse than Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension (IIH) it's self. Constantly nauseous, made no difference to headaches/pressure, suffered with slight breathing difficulties & palpitations, the tingling in hands and feet were more like cramp than tingling in the end... the list goes on.."

Em785 November 12, 2017

For Glaucoma: "My eye pressure was up in the 40s and Dr. gave me 1 pill only to help get it down. About 20 mins later I started feeling numbness all over my legs, arms, nose and upper lip. It was annoying but not painful. I was needing to pee very often and was super low energy the rest of the day. Glad I only had to take the 1 pill. It only slightly helped the eye pressure issue."

Alethya September 20, 2017

For Glaucoma: "For lowering pressure the medication is very effective, however the side effects are a nightmare. I get tingling sensations everywhere, dehydration, increased urine, drowsiness. It doesn't help that I'm also a teenager who needs to concentrate on my studies so it's a miracle I managed to get through school recently."

VPenguin September 3, 2017

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I was diagnosed with Pseudotumor Cerebri in February 2015. When I got pregnant with my son I gained over 60lbs. I had him in May 2014 and didn't have any symptoms until October 2014 when my eyesight went out for a second or two and it didn't happen again. I didn't pay it any mind until in January 2015 it started getting worse. My vision would go in and out for about 2-5 seconds at a time. I finally seen the ophthalmologist who said my optic nerves were swollen & referred me to a neurologist who had me do an MRI, 1 spinal tap (where my pressure was so high at 44, so they relieved some of the spinal fluid down to 20), then they finally decided to put me on Acetazolamide 500mg ER. The only cons were the metallic taste and tingling."

Dejanee (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 17, 2017

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Works amazingly!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 24, 2017

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Mountain Sickness / Altitude Sickness: "Anyone planning to take this medication for altitude sickness prophylaxis, I recommend you do a trial run at home first. I took this medication to hike the inca trail and started it the day before flying to Cusco. I developed a rare side effect of blurred vision/myopia which came on about an hour after the second dose of diamox. The myopia lasted for 72 hours after ceasing the medication. It almost ruined my trip but fortunately vision returned just in time to start the hike. I went on dexamethasone after that for prophylaxis. No side effects but unfortunately the Dex didn't work as I got altitude sickness.........but that's another story!"

Susie121 (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "My experience with acetazolamide has been okay. I started taking it after my lumbar puncture to relieve the pressure. (I got IIH because it was a rare side effect of an antibiotic I was on for my acne, minocycline) it has been VERY effective at relieving the pressure, but gives really annoying side effects, like tingling of my fingers, face, and toes. Like when I'm trying to sleep my feet tingle and go crazy and it makes it impossible to sleep. It also made me have little to no appetite and I have lost 20 pounds in about 2 months. I my neurologist told me that long term use of this medication can cause kidney damage, but 6 months to a year shouldn't be a worry. (I am only going to be on diamox for 6 months. I've been on it for 4 months)"

amandaqwertyqwerty (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 23, 2017

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I was just recently diagnosed with high intracranial pressure with no papilledema and a huge blind spot I my left eye. I was told that a spinal tap would only cause a leak since I have a connective tissue disorder. I got an MRI and CT and everyone said they were normal excect for Dr. Driscoll. She started me on diamox and it has done wonders!!! I can see at dark now and I don't have constant eye pain/pressure, neck pain or problems sleeping. I have to sleep with a soft cervical collar and had to raise the head of my bed to make sure the fluid continues to drain even when sleeping. I do have numbness and tingling but it's more amusing to me than painful. It is difficult to keep your CO2 levels at 22 but use alkaline h20"

Maribeth1999 (twitter) (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2017

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Confusion, lethargy, diarrhea, hyperchloremia, CO2 16, nausea, dizziness"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2017

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I was 19 when I was sent from my small town & county to have tests done. I'd had symptoms from age 12 when I was put on birth control pills for PCOS. The Dr from San Francisco put me on Diamox and prednisone and ordered my family Dr do a spinal tap when I had eye problems or severe headaches (he did at least 3/wk for 2yrs). My family Dr took me off the prednisone after a few months and I gained over 100lbs. The Diamox caused me weird side effects. My face was all "tingling", everything I ate or drank tasted metallic (especially if it was fruit or carbonated). Eventually the tingling started down my neck, chest, and hands/arms. So my Dr took me off it, gave me hydroclorathazide (it maybe misspelt). I've learned Diamox causes it a lot."

Chicogirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 18, 2017

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I'm 28 and I was diagnosed with Pseudotumor a little over two years now I've had a VP shunt an LP shunt and multiple lumbar punctures, I've been taking Acetazolmide and I've had no side effects so far... but I'm still having really bad headache's and swelling of my eyeballs, so yesterday my neurologist decided that instead of taking two pills in the morning and two pills at night, I'll start taking three pills in the morning and three pills at night. I just want to feel better!"

C Barnes March 19, 2017

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I've been taking this medication regularly for the past month and want to cry. I'm 20 years old, a healthy female, and was diagnosed with pseudotumor cerebri. I call my mom nearly everyday complaining of a new pain. From the horrible tingly sensation in my hands and feet, to the horrible confusion, and now extreme pain in my abdomen, I'm ready for this all to stop. I'm on 500 mg/daily and can't even operate my vehicle! I am always so out of it it makes finished my homework assignments difficult let alone to constant new pains I always complain about. I am pretty tough but when it comes to seeing my doctor every week due to the side effects of this medication, it's not worth it."

BrookieEm March 6, 2017

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Hello. I am 18 and I have diagnosed with Idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH) December of 2016. As we all thought, I had a concussion because I played volleyball but it didn't quite flow with the big blind spot in my left eye and the perfect MRI and MRE scan results. Well, as my opening pressure from an LP was 49.7, more than half for my age, and being the first patient for my pediatrician, I have Psuedo Tumor Cerebri. My new neurologists put me on 2,000mg a day. Yes, this caused severe abdominal and GI upset for almost the first month I was taking it and a little bit here and there. My ophthalmologist has seen an improvement. My second LP as of 1/30/17 had an opening pressure of 28.7. They drained me to normal and took 10cc of instead of 8. I hope it keeps working."

Vetdoc February 19, 2017

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I just started acetazolemide a few days ago. 500mg 2x a day. I had an lumbar puncture 2 days ago and neither have relieved much of the pressure. Every time I take one of these pills I get a new symptom. My kidney function has been weaker. The pressure in my head continues. My body aches all over. The yucky taste....that is the least of my worries. Pins and needles...check. Extremely tired and feel like I've been beat. I feel like bricks are laying inside my hips. This stuff sucks!!"

tiredofbeingsickandtired February 19, 2017

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Mountain Sickness / Altitude Sickness: "After several bird tours flirting with 10,000 - 11,000 ft elevation I became suspicious that I was susceptible to alt. sickness. A redirected flight to LaPaz, Bolivia (and some unscheduled ascents near Cochabamba) convinced me I was. Typically I serve as a human altimeter, within minutes of reaching 11,000 ft I'm puking my guts out. Diamox has been a wonder drug in preventing alt. sickness on tours I've been on since Bolivia. I've travelled from 8,000 ft straight to 14,000 ft several times with no alt. sickness symptoms at all. 125 mg before bed is all I need. Tingling and bad tasting soda symptoms are greatly reduced at that dosage compared to the 250mg I initially used."

birderbill February 15, 2017

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Diamox changed my life I had 24/7 pressure headache for 7 years of my life I went everywhere even to the mayo clinic and had test after test and scan after scan and finally my local neurologist tried this medication and it has made me able to live again for the first time in 7 years! I was diagnosed with chronic daily headache and told I would never get better but to everyone suffering there is hope don't believe what a few drs say keep searching for answers. Try this medication if nothing else has worked for you!"

Cat lady24 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2017