User Reviews for Acetazolamide

Also known as: Diamox, Diamox Sequels

Learn more about Acetazolamide.

Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis 1 reviews 1 medications

Glaucoma 15 reviews 29 medications

5.6
Summary of Acetazolamide reviews 89 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Acetazolamide

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I was 19 when I was sent from my small town & county to have tests done. I'd had symptoms from age 12 when I was put on birth control pills for PCOS. The Dr from San Francisco put me on Diamox and prednisone and ordered my family Dr do a spinal tap when I had eye problems or severe headaches (he did at least 3/wk for 2yrs). My family Dr took me off the prednisone after a few months and I gained over 100lbs. The Diamox caused me weird side effects. My face was all "tingling", everything I ate or drank tasted metallic (especially if it was fruit or carbonated). Eventually the tingling started down my neck, chest, and hands/arms. So my Dr took me off it, gave me hydroclorathazide (it maybe misspelt). I've learned Diamox causes it a lot."

Chicogirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I'm 28 and I was diagnosed with Pseudotumor a little over two years now I've had a VP shunt an LP shunt and multiple lumbar punctures, I've been taking Acetazolmide and I've had no side effects so far... but I'm still having really bad headache's and swelling of my eyeballs, so yesterday my neurologist decided that instead of taking two pills in the morning and two pills at night, I'll start taking three pills in the morning and three pills at night. I just want to feel better!"

C Barnes March 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I've been taking this medication regularly for the past month and want to cry. I'm 20 years old, a healthy female, and was diagnosed with pseudotumor cerebri. I call my mom nearly everyday complaining of a new pain. From the horrible tingly sensation in my hands and feet, to the horrible confusion, and now extreme pain in my abdomen, I'm ready for this all to stop. I'm on 500 mg/daily and can't even operate my vehicle! I am always so out of it it makes finished my homework assignments difficult let alone to constant new pains I always complain about. I am pretty tough but when it comes to seeing my doctor every week due to the side effects of this medication, it's not worth it."

BrookieEm March 6, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Hello. I am 18 and I have diagnosed with Idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH) December of 2016. As we all thought, I had a concussion because I played volleyball but it didn't quite flow with the big blind spot in my left eye and the perfect MRI and MRE scan results. Well, as my opening pressure from an LP was 49.7, more than half for my age, and being the first patient for my pediatrician, I have Psuedo Tumor Cerebri. My new neurologists put me on 2,000mg a day. Yes, this caused severe abdominal and GI upset for almost the first month I was taking it and a little bit here and there. My ophthalmologist has seen an improvement. My second LP as of 1/30/17 had an opening pressure of 28.7. They drained me to normal and took 10cc of instead of 8. I hope it keeps working."

Vetdoc February 19, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I just started acetazolemide a few days ago. 500mg 2x a day. I had an lumbar puncture 2 days ago and neither have relieved much of the pressure. Every time I take one of these pills I get a new symptom. My kidney function has been weaker. The pressure in my head continues. My body aches all over. The yucky taste....that is the least of my worries. Pins and needles...check. Extremely tired and feel like I've been beat. I feel like bricks are laying inside my hips. This stuff sucks!!"

tiredofbeingsickandtired February 19, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Mountain Sickness / Altitude Sickness: "After several bird tours flirting with 10,000 - 11,000 ft elevation I became suspicious that I was susceptible to alt. sickness. A redirected flight to LaPaz, Bolivia (and some unscheduled ascents near Cochabamba) convinced me I was. Typically I serve as a human altimeter, within minutes of reaching 11,000 ft I'm puking my guts out. Diamox has been a wonder drug in preventing alt. sickness on tours I've been on since Bolivia. I've travelled from 8,000 ft straight to 14,000 ft several times with no alt. sickness symptoms at all. 125 mg before bed is all I need. Tingling and bad tasting soda symptoms are greatly reduced at that dosage compared to the 250mg I initially used."

birderbill February 15, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Diamox changed my life I had 24/7 pressure headache for 7 years of my life I went everywhere even to the mayo clinic and had test after test and scan after scan and finally my local neurologist tried this medication and it has made me able to live again for the first time in 7 years! I was diagnosed with chronic daily headache and told I would never get better but to everyone suffering there is hope don't believe what a few drs say keep searching for answers. Try this medication if nothing else has worked for you!"

Cat lady24 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 11, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "When I first began diamox I felt hopefully as the previous medication didn't work (topamax). At first, I felt so much better,then my dosage was increased. Once my dosage was increased I started breaking out in hives (in upper body) turns out I am allergic to it. I'm currently on the lowest dose to hold me over until I can get a shunt."

Anna0914 January 31, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "This medication saved my vision and made my headaches go away. I have the side effects of metallic taste with fizzy drinks and some sexual dysfunction but it doesn't effect my daily life. I take 250mg three times a day."

Madip (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 16, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Diagnosed with Chiari Type 1 and Pseudotumor Cerebri in 2008. Started diamox and it changed my life. Within days I was feeling so much relief. Over time, my dose went up and the next move was an LP shunt which has worked wonders for almost 8 years. It's starting to fail now so my revision is scheduled and I'm back on diamox in the meantime. Yet again, symptoms under control with it. Yes I have weird tingling in my face hands and legs, and I can't drink carbonated beverages, oh well - I'm thankful to be functioning and not nauseous and dizzy and disoriented all day long. Diamox is the best thing other than my shunt for this disease. Very thankful for it."

Meltini (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 12, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Epilepsy: "Helps for spasms"

Spasms meds (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizure Prevention: "I have been on this drug for a month or so now because of daily/ chronic headaches that started after I was in a motorcycle accident. 8 years of my life spent every moment with a headache and I have been everywhere for help even to the Mayo clinic and no one could find a medication to help me. Finally this was prescribed as a last attempt since it is not FDA approved to treat headaches and since I have had at least 2 weeks with a headache that is much more improved than before I can actually function most days now. This medication causes me to have severe muscle aches, weakness, fatigue, tingling in hands, feet and face along with nausea but its still better than how I was before."

CatLady24 December 12, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I am almost 20 years old and was diagnosed about 3.5-4 weeks ago. I got a lumbar puncture and then started Diamox and it has been an awful experience.The first week and a half I was severely exhausted had nausea and the taste issue and basically wasn't functional. Then for about a week or so I seemed to be getting better until a few days ago when I've been very rapidly getting new symptoms/side effects like severe joint pain, itchy scalp, and waking up with my eyelids swollen half shut and then this morning my lips where extremely swollen. I had to go to the ER to make sure it wasn't an allergic reaction but it seems to be just a weird reaction to the meds (not allergic). I hate it. If I didn't have to take it, I wouldn't."

Anonymous 't (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "This drug has not helped relieve pressure, headaches or Visual Impairments in my case. My vision continues to go in and out without notice, waking up everyday with a headache and continue to have one well into the late evening before bedtime. The side effects are awful! I have lost 29lbs in THREE weeks! I am unable to hold anything down, everything tastes nasty or like I'm eating pennies. Constant fatigue and restlessness. The prickling in the hands and toes, not to mention the constant nausea. Every case is different. It's not working for me but could for someone else. I cannot tell anyone to NOT take a drug or TO take a drug for IIH. Because every case is different, everyone will see different results."

Janetta H (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I have been taking this medicine for only two weeks after being diagnosed with pseudotumor cerebri and it is awful. I feel like everything is getting worse. Before the medication I already had the ringing in my ears, the terrible headaches, and occasionally I had numbness of my face, hands, and legs along with many other symptoms. Now since taking this medication the ring and headaches are EXACTLY the same if not worse and my feet are killing me, they are constantly "asleep" with the feeling of tiny thumb tack jabs all over...it's multiple times a day, walking, standing, sitting, laying down, I feel worse now than I did before. I don't know what to do but I know I cannot continue like this. I know that everyone reacts differently."

Kaykay012014 (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Glaucoma: "I was taking Diamox twice daily for two weeks to reduce eye pressure before cataract surgery. Very effective in lowering pressure but side affects were trouble some. It makes you very tired, contiptated, dizzy, lack if appetite, some temporary hearing issues in one ear. A few days after stopping pills everything was back to normal."

HenrykZ September 23, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I was just diagnosed with Psuedotumor Cerebri after 3 years of medical issues. Started losing my eyesight and then they found a blood clot in the main artery of my brain. Once blood clot was treated still had fluid behind my eyes, headaches, foggy brain and no energy. The diamox has helped the foggy brain. The side effects weren't bad had tingling for few days, metallic taste and drowsiness.The drowsiness is the worst part because several other medicines I take cause drowsiness also. I did have pain in my joints for first two days but it went away. I have lost 8lbs since starting it. I will find out at the end of the month if the fluid build up behind my eyes is gone. I"

Calico40 (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I absolutely depend on this medication. I am 22 years old and was diagnosed with Pseudotumor Cerebri mid April of 2016 and was severely sick...had an MRA, MRI, and a spinal tap done. I do not wish this illness on anyone. I'm stuck with this for the rest of my life. This medicine has helped a lot so I will continue on taking it. I do not have any negative side effects. I take 1500 mg."

Dani94 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I have only been on this stuff for a couple of weeks now but it has been a miracle drug for me. I have seen immediate relief. My visual disturbances dropped from a few times per hour to a few times per day. I'm hoping that improves further as my optic nerves have a chance to heal. I didn't think I had too bad of headaches before being diagnosed with PTC, but ever since I've been taking Diamox and the pressure has gone down my head feels normal again. It was like I had just got used to the pressure before treatment and didn't notice how bad it was until it was gone. As far as side effects, I have had some. I do get the tingles in my feet at times but it isn't too bad. And like others I can no longer drink carbonated beverages. Worth it."

Adam SD August 1, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Finally diagnosed with Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension without Papilledema after nearly 4 years of messing around with doctors who didn't believe anything was wrong, because my situation doesn't involve the optic disk swelling. Was started on Diamox 500mg a day...after 14 days severe stomach pain, I couldn't even drink water. Neurologist told me to stop taking it. The tingling, which is everywhere, turns to sheer pain if your out in the wind. By day 10 of taking the medicine, my lips started to purse on their own. My kids laughed because I had "duck face" for several days, even after stopping the med. Now I'm back on it, 125mg/day, same side effects. Sucks. Did not help my symptoms the first time, and hasn't yet."

kdg1220 (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Glaucoma: "Miserable! I was tired. Weak, couldn't stand or walk. My lips were chapped, burning and the corners of my mouth were red and raw. Food and drink burned when swallowed ."

Gfa July 13, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Glaucoma: "Extreme increase in high BLOOD pressure to the point that vein in my forehead enlarged & was pounding so hard it hurt & I was very frightened. I took atenolol25mg & .05mg of clonazepam which minimized I'mworst of pounding/pulsing in vein in forehead directly over /above left eye.Dr.Did not inform me of fact that I could not take vitamins and should supplement with potassium & that sudden discontinuation of medication is NOT advisable EXTREMELY ADVERSE & FEARFUL REACTION.REFUSE TO CONTINUE."

Boudica2331gmail.com (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: "I have been on diamox for ten years. Side effects are horrible. And I also have noticed more and more side effects the longer I take the meds. Without this medication I have seven to eight episodes weekly. It really a is a miracle drug!!!! For the tingling sensation I take emernc it's a vitamin and immune booster. I don't drink any sodas at all or anything that has bubbles. I also found a whole list of medications and food you can't take while taking diamox on Pinterest and as long as I stay on top of everything I feel better"

Cindywim April 25, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Diamox put me in remission after about six months, but it began to cause tinnitus and hearing problems. My hearing is fine now, but I cannot take Diamox again if my PTC returns. Just something to keep in mind. Tinnitus and hearing issues are considered rare side effects, but they can happen."

MaraNaraJara March 26, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: "Diamox didn't work and I hate it"

Yo13674267 March 2, 2016