User Reviews for Acetazolamide

Hydrocephalus 5.0
Summary of Acetazolamide reviews 6.3 152 reviews

Reviews for Acetazolamide

The mom of 4 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 27, 2020

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: “I started on acetazolamide for psuedotumor and was originally put on 1000mg a day, 500mg am and 500mg PM. I was getting really awful headaches so my dr took me down to 250mg in the am and 250mg in the PM for a week. After that week I went back up to 500mg in the am and 500mg in the pm. The side effect symptoms I have was everything carbonated tasted like metal, so I can only drink water, tea and juice. My hands, feet and lips tingle like the same tingling when your feet fall asleep. Its annoying but it doesn't affect my grip and it's not painful. I also pee all the time and I'm dealing with some acid reflux. But it is not too bad. My pain before this medicine is almost completely gone! I was scared to start this medicine after reading all the awful reviews, but now, I'm thankful I started it!”

IIHer · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 21, 2020

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: “- More side effects that aren’t mentioned. - Okay short term but long term it gets a bit much”

lizard · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 4, 2020

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: “Acetazolamide did not help my headaches. I stopped taking it about a year ago and feel the same.”

Nawaf June 30, 2020

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: “I am 50 years old with a BMI of 28.9. I was suffering from a headache for 3 month. After taking diamox 250 I started to gradually feel better but after a month I started have high pressure headache which was worse than before.”

Tara June 28, 2020

For Hydrocephalus: “I have been taking This since 2002 which is 28 years, I have never had luck with generics. Every generic I have taken doesn’t take all the pressure out of my head. There is only one generic that has worked for me and that is By Zydus Pharmaceuticals. Now there are two other generics besides this one that do absolutely nothing for the fluid pain my head. But this particular one works like half way. I will feel somewhat okay for about an hour a day and then late at nite I might get another hour where my head feels good. From what I have read my understanding is these companies who are making the generics are using different inactive ingredients which make my body not absorb medication as fast as the fluid is filling. I haven’t worked in almost a year. I’m always sick. I’m tired of it! Generics should be exactly like the brand! When I used to take TEVA Diamox I never had any issues. My life was fine I was working and living. Now I’m on generic living a terrible quality of life !”

Jeni · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 21, 2020

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: “So I just found out I have IH due to there is a golf ball sized tumor in the vascular sinus of my brain. From the MRV it shows stretching and scaring on the opposite side they believe in December/January when the headaches got so bad is when that happened. I received the results two Fridays ago. This Diamos is killing me my kidneys hurt my urine is coffee colored and smell weird. I know TMI. The nuerologist nurse practitioner keeps telling me it's. Normal side effects however I haven't eaten in 5 days and if I take a drink I better be VERY near to the potty. This drug is killing me I'm sure. And I'm still in pain still hear things cry always going crazy but my vision does not have black stripes and no peripheral vision.”

Andie53 June 11, 2020

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Mountain Sickness / Altitude Sickness: “At age 37, I decided to take my 1st ever mountain camping trip. We found a beautiful spot at 12,497 Ft. I had been to Denver as a teenager with no reaction to altitude so I wasn’t expecting to get sick. I hydrated, but evidently not enough. Within 4 hours of making camp, I began feeling nauseous. After 6 hours, diarrhea. By 10 hours, around midnight, I was going in and out of consciousness. We thought I had severe food poisoning. Due to the dangerous location, we could not get down from the mountain. Long story short, when I returned home to Dallas Texas, I had had a mild edema. My doctor prescribed Diamox and portable oxygen for my next mountain trip. It really gets the job done. I have played around with the dosing starting at half doses &add more up to the full dose as needed. I begin Diamox 48 hours before ascending over 9.5k. I find smaller dosing decreases the drowsiness. I hope this information helps others. Be safe and well.”

Jasmine · Taken for less than 1 month June 7, 2020

For Glaucoma: “I was only prescribed this medication for 3 days following an eye procedure , I generally steer away from any prescription meds as much as possible. I experienced horrible tingling hands and feet / mild nausea , a little light headed, the worst symptom was extreme fatigue, Very relieved when the 3 day course was up.”

Di · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 1, 2020

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: “It made my headaches and vision considerably worse at a low dose (250mg b.i.d.). Caused a number of other side effects: horrible numbness and tingling on hands, feet, arms, legs and face; fatigue; loss of appetite; nausea; vomiting; diarrhea; tons of kidney stones; muscle weakness; severe muscle cramping; loss of bladder control; loss of muscle control (unable to move fingers, face twitching); loss of feeling on hands and feet; cyanosis of extremities.”

Cc May 24, 2020

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: “acetazolamide literally has not worked or helped my pseudotumor cerebri at all”

Laurax May 4, 2020

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: “I have dealt with years of intracranial hypertension, which after this lockdown and putting on 'a few pounds' in such a short space of time, I came out of remission. Ended up back in hospital having a lumbar puncture once again, and my neurologist decided to put me on these tablets. I am on 3x 250mg It is safe to say I have had near all of the side effects (I am on day 6) and so far..... Lightheadedness, severe fatigue, tingling in my fingers, feet, face, lips.. but I tend to giggle them off. I found the energy to go for a walk yesturday and today (not alone, too scared incase I get too lightheaded) the tingling intensifies. I can not drink anything fizzy, the taste is just awful! I get tiny headaches but nothing compared to what I had to deal with when going through IIH. I thought about stopping the medication, but I will persevere for now and see how I get on for the next month. It is lucky I am on Furlough, or there is no way I would be able to handle taking them and work.”

Ménière’s gal March 10, 2020

“I am using acetazolamide to help with my Ménière’s Disease. I’m only on 250 mg but need to work up to 500 mg daily. I feel like I’m in a fog and extremely tired. The pins and needles in my hands, feet and face come and go. Is there anyone else using acetazolamide to help with Ménière’s symptoms? I can’t tell if it’s making them worse or better.”

Monik · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2020

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Hydrocephalus: “I had to take this medication due to me having fluid around the brain. The doctors stated I had swelling behind my eyes which caused headaches and lost of vision. This medicine was disgusted the least to say. When I started this medicine I was 177.lb I weighed 155 by the time I finished the bottle. I had no appetite, no sex drive, dry moth and could only drink water or a juice I found that I liked and could actually taste! Soda tasted like metal. I took this medicine for 4 weeks. In August I had Shunt surgery! That was one of the best decisions of my life. My vision is a lot better and I’m free to wear whatever I like! Hope you all get better soon! If you have another options other than taking this medicine by all means do so! You will be a lot happier and not miserable!!!!”

Jude · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 9, 2020

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: “I was diagnosed with pesudotumor cerebri in 2017 and have been on this medication for over 2 years. Together with a healthy diet and exercise I've managed to loose about 20kg so have been slowly allowed to go off it. My papiledema has improved significantly to the point where it is unnoticeable and I'm currently "under observation". During my time on this medication I've experienced some tingling in my extremities, dry mouth and coughs, changes in the taste of certain foods and GI issues such as heartburn. I did have to get back on it after about two months off due to taking ADHD medications who elevated my ICP, but the GI issues were so severe that my neurologist prescribed me a different medication, since my ICP is now under control. This medication has some severe side effects, but it also works and in my case it helped save my eyesight and it's preferable to having a lumbar puncture every few months.”

Jazzy18 · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2020

“Man , so I just was going to my eye doctor for a check up about my left eye having pressure, having head aches but I started a green smoothie diet started feeling better. But she sent me to the ER to have an emergency cat scan as she had seen something. So I had a MRI & brain and and spinal cord because I had so much pressure on it ( Idiopathic intracranial hypertension - IIH) But I feel I could have went with out all of this including the medication I hate taking it sometimes I don't want to take it I can't eat , & I feel like I will throw up , & I feel spaced out I don't feel normal ”

Pep · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2020

For Glaucoma: “I've been taking acetazolamide for glaucoma for 2 weeks now and the lightheadedness, weakness and low energy level is very troublesome. I've been given no other options, with regards to my eye pressure condition. The weakness and dizziness are like a very bad flu condition.”

tiredoffeelingsick · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2020

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: “Have been on the med for about 3 weeks. 1 pill - 125mg every night. Did not help...I still had episodes. Last week started 2 pills (in the a.m. and one p.m.). While it seems (so far) to be holding off the episodes, I feel AWFUL. Ears were already ringing and this has just turned it up. Nausea. General feeling of "I just don't feel well". Weakness and fatigue. Feels like I'm breathing in air but no oxygen...like I'm getting no benefit from it (does that make sense?). Slept for about 8.5-9 hours last night and still woke up completely exhausted.”

Torn1966 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 6, 2020

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: “This medication acetazolamide was horrific at first!!! I had to takeoff work a month just to take it. I started taking a dose of 125mg a night for a week, then 125 x2 a day for a week, then 250 x2 a day fir a week. Now I take 500 mg ER once a day. Next week I go to 500mg ER 2 x a day. I was so sick I couldn’t get out of bed the first two weeks. Food and drinks still taste strange, still very sick just not as bad, but sadly trying to adjust as my new normal. Still tingling in hands/feet. Sharp headaches, nausea, breathing issues, tired, eyes look weak, dizzy, always in a haze. Eating anything seems to enhance my nausea. I had trouble walking one week and had to have a epidural steroid shot in my back. I have lived with ringing in both ears for over a year now. The medicine has made my ringing worse! I can’t stop the medicine. So I don’t have a choice. I have to take the medicine or risk going blind. However, I am pretty miserable!!!”

Pete · Taken for less than 1 month December 10, 2019

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Glaucoma: “Reduced my eye pressure after a vitrectomy. Initially made me spacey and sleepy with Pins and needles but hey small price to pray to protect my vision and lower my eye pressure from 50 to 40 and so on. Used in conjunction eye drops. I’ve only used short term. I’ve read several other side affects and have experienced the need to go urinate often.”

Gee · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 20, 2019

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: “I take 750mg acetazolamide morning and night since 2016. I have ICP and when the fluid around my eyes, brain spinal cord is peaking the nerves in my eye was damaged and my left side would not work. I could not lift my foot or walk, my left arm was weak and my head felt like it was going to explode. Its now October 2019 and I can walk talk and process my thoughts and voice. I am working 45 hours a week and driving. So the short answer is YES my meds are working but and just about over taking so many meds as the side effects drive me crazy.”

jelema · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 4, 2019

Diamox (acetazolamide) for Pseudotumor Cerebri: “Makes my feet tingle and I hear ringing in my ears all the time”

LP · Taken for less than 1 month September 1, 2019

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: “This is by far the worst medication I have ever been on. I’m a week in to taking the medication now and I’m struggling to sleep due to the pins and needles in my face and eyes. It’s just constant. I also suffer with panic disorder and my anxiety has been sky high since starting these tablets. I recommend to anyone that if you begin these tablets then ask your GP for some propranolol to go with them.”

One · Taken for less than 1 month August 31, 2019

For Mountain Sickness / Altitude Sickness: “I took this medication because I live at sea level and was going to the Rocky Mountains for only three days. I knew I wouldn't have time to adjust to the altitude during such a short visit and it included a photo excursion at 10,000 feet. Took as directed before ascent and was surprised to find that it helped me sleep AND curbed my appetite. No side effects and I was able to enjoy the mountains. About 6 months later, took it again for another mountain visit. Planning on taking it again in a couple of weeks for next mountain trip.”

Nat Mel · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2019

For Hydrocephalus: “I’m on my 5th day of this acetazolamide tablet now. for Intercranial Hypertension I made an appt at the opticians as I had been suffered with disturbed vision and dizziness for around a year. I went to the opticians where they found my optical nerves were inflamed. Went to the hospital had CT and MRI scans which were normal. Had a lumbar puncture which revealed excess fluid on my spine so they drained some out. For anyone who says that spinal taps aren’t painful, they’re lying. It was horrible. They then put me on these tablets to prevent the fluid from reproducing. Blurred vision and dizziness seems to be my main symptom along with tingling fingers and toes. I am determined to stick this out though as I have read great things about it.”

JJ · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 3, 2019

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: “Acetazolamide gave me breathing problems and fast heartbeat. I hyperventilate when I take it. Sometimes it would come right back up before it reached my stomach. I still had high pressure symptoms. I was very out of it all the time. I felt like I was dying on it. But I was so out of it I couldn't even communicate that. I was on it for a year the first time and a month the second and definitely the last time.”