Acetazolamide Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to acetazolamide: oral capsules, oral tablets, parenteral powder for injection
Side effects include:
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to acetazolamide: compounding powder, injectable powder for injection, intravenous powder for injection, oral capsule extended release, oral tablet
Adverse reactions occurring early in therapy have included paresthesias, tinnitus, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and drowsiness.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Anaphylactic/anaphylactoid reactions including shock and fatalities[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Loss of appetite, electrolyte disturbances, metabolic acidosis and hypokalemia with long term therapy, hyponatremia osteomalacia with long-term therapy, hyper/hypoglycemia[Ref]
Rare (0.01% to 0.1%): Photosensitivity
Frequency not reported: Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, melena[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Paresthesias (up to 20%)
Frequency not reported: Transient myopia[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Growth retardation in children[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Flushing, malaise, thirst, fatigue, fever, hearing disturbances[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Injection site pain[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Diamox Sequels (acetaZOLAMIDE (acetazolamide))." Barr Pharmaceuticals Inc, Pomona, NY.
2. "Product Information. Acetazolamide for Injection (acetaZOLAMIDE (acetazolamide))." Sterimax Inc, Kingston, OR.
3. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
4. "Product Information. AcetaZOLAMIDE (acetaZOLAMIDE (acetazolamide))." Taro Pharmaceuticals U.S.A. Inc, Hawthorne, NY.
5. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about acetazolamide
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 116 Reviews
- Drug class: carbonic anhydrase inhibitor anticonvulsants
- Acetazolamide Tablets
- Acetazolamide Sustained-Release Capsules
- Acetazolamide Injection Solution