User Reviews for Acetazolamide to treat Glaucoma

Also known as: Diamox, Diamox Sequels

Acetazolamide has an average rating of 5.4 out of 10 from a total of 27 ratings for the treatment of Glaucoma. 30% of those users who reviewed Acetazolamide reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Acetazolamide Rating Summary

5.4/10 average rating

Compare all 72 medications used in the treatment of Glaucoma.

Reviews for Acetazolamide

Tondawg · Taken for less than 1 month April 2, 2021

“First of all oh my god the taste of soda is god awful it started the first day I was on it I'm on day 14 I get the tingle in my finger tips I feel nausea and a bit dizzy but then it goes away and comes back. Last but not least the most explosive diarrhea I have ever experienced in my life and I had really bad stomach bug the diarrhea from this stuff is so much crazier. The bowel sounds and stomach and intenstine gurgles are insane they're so loud as soon as I hear them I have to go destroy the toilet bowl with my diarrhea all over it. Oh my god it does help with eye pressure tho I will say that but oh my god I wish I knew how to get rid of these side effects”

Jasmine · Taken for less than 1 month June 7, 2020

“I was only prescribed this medication for 3 days following an eye procedure , I generally steer away from any prescription meds as much as possible. I experienced horrible tingling hands and feet / mild nausea , a little light headed, the worst symptom was extreme fatigue, Very relieved when the 3 day course was up.”

Pep · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2020

“I've been taking acetazolamide for glaucoma for 2 weeks now and the lightheadedness, weakness and low energy level is very troublesome. I've been given no other options, with regards to my eye pressure condition. The weakness and dizziness are like a very bad flu condition.”

InformedPatient December 26, 2014

Diamox (acetazolamide): “I have been on Diamox 3 times now to manage spikes in eye pressure. On all three occasions my eye pressure soared into the 60's and 70's before I started to come down 7-11 hours later. My body temperature plummeted, I just shivered and could not keep warm for the first few hours. Within the first 24 hours my legs weakened considerably and significantly limited my capacity to walk. My speech and cognitive function also slowed noticeably. Using Diamox for over one week triggered mood changes and suicidal thoughts. While on this my blood pressure was on the low side. Upon discontinuation of this my blood pressure soared to 166/110 with some fluctuations for 2weeks afterwards. I hope sharing this helps others.”

Abree March 22, 2011

Diamox (acetazolamide): “I was given Diamox to prevent any increase in eye pressure after an ICL surgery (basically cataract surgery). My pressures were great, but the side effects from this were no fun. I experienced dizziness, tingling in my toes, and worst of all, my taste was off. The worse taste difference I noticed was in caffeinated beverages and that's what caused my to do some looking around to see what was going on.”

Suzy · Taken for less than 1 month April 9, 2019

“Acetazolamide is great bringing down my eye pressure. I am also eating normally, but losing weight (yay), an unexpected added bonus. The first week left me feeling super down and tired, but now I feel great. In addition to the weight loss bonus my arthritis is way better. I used to hobble from stiff joints, and found it hard to lift my right arm, but not anymore! I am on 500mg twice day, and my eye pressure drops within minutes of taking it. There is a diarrhea side effect sometimes, but it isn't so bad for me. I drink a lot of water while taking this and that seems to help.”

HenrykZ September 23, 2016

“I was taking Diamox twice daily for two weeks to reduce eye pressure before cataract surgery. Very effective in lowering pressure but side affects were trouble some. It makes you very tired, contiptated, dizzy, lack if appetite, some temporary hearing issues in one ear. A few days after stopping pills everything was back to normal.”

RAMKEY February 17, 2018

Diamox (acetazolamide): “Its a good medicine to decrease the Eye pressure. While taking this tab - depression and dark thoughts are more and I have no interest in food, and also my hands tickle like they are in water. Now I've stopped the medicine, my eye pressure become normal and constant. After stopping the medicine it takes a few days to decrease all the worst symptoms. ”

Bobotcr November 20, 2008

Diamox (acetazolamide): “In a pretty critical situation after cataract surgery, this drug brought it totally in line. Side effects for me were mild though annoying. Of all of the side effects, a spacey feeling for about 10 minutes the first two times, and tingling fingers and toes. All in all worth it for short term treatment.”

nygirl70 · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 26, 2015

Diamox (acetazolamide): “I have congenital glaucoma this medication was prescribed to me in 2009 the worse medication I've ever had. Tingling of the toes, fingers at times lips. Worse headache of my life and it's related to Diamox according to my doctor. The headache becomes so bad I can't think straight. It doesn't lower eye pressure for me in its entirety. But to a certain degree. Also, accompanied with this medication it falls down horribly on my stomach unbelievable pain as well as dizzy symptoms. Doctor stated to me that this medication does produce these side effects.”

AngeS · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 28, 2012

Diamox (acetazolamide): “I have been recently diagnosed with the disease called BIH which occurs mostly in women and very young children and currently taking Diamox with annoying side effects such as pins and needles in feet, hands and lips which can last up to 2 hours at a time and be painful. I wake every night with interrupted sleep with a headache or temperature! I have been turned off a lot of food but mainly fizzy drinks.”

Pete · Taken for less than 1 month December 10, 2019

Diamox (acetazolamide): “Reduced my eye pressure after a vitrectomy. Initially made me spacey and sleepy with Pins and needles but hey small price to pray to protect my vision and lower my eye pressure from 50 to 40 and so on. Used in conjunction eye drops. I’ve only used short term. I’ve read several other side affects and have experienced the need to go urinate often.”

Anonymous May 19, 2010

Diamox (acetazolamide): “I had cataract surgery 7 days ago. Diamox is very effective to reduce the pressure in the eye but the problem is side effects. I had no appetite, constipation and hearing loss. I am hoping it will go away in few days. Anybody out there had similar experience, please share with us. Thanks.”

Marydoll March 2, 2014

Diamox (acetazolamide): “I am taking Diamox this is the 3rd time I have been prescribed this. It definitely works but side effects this time worst of all. Am dizzy and fell, pins and needles hands, feet and face. Headache don't know if medication or from fall. Nausea.”

Waffy June 16, 2013

“I was placed on diamox along with other medications as a means of reducing Intraocular Pressure after having being told of having ocular atrophy. It really works, but had tingling effects in my hands and feet as well as the drowsiness/tiredness.”

C.Leblanc · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 27, 2015

“I only had side effects for the first 2 weeks. The most annoying side effect was the tingling in my feet and knees. Luckily, my hand were fine. I also had to go pee at least 20 times a day and each time I would pee a hell lot of water. This was mostly disturbing when I was at work and had to get up every 30 minutes to go to the bathroom. My head also felt pretty light and I fell asleep easily during the day. Other than that, it isn't AS bad as the other comments say. I was pretty scared after reading a couple of those. In all, this medicine does require some getting used to. Luckily for me, it passed after two weeks or so. Except for the tingling in my feet. But I got used to it.”

Keilah · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2018

“I was diagnosed with intermediate uveitis 5 weeks ago and recently started on Diamox 2 weeks ago after my eye pressure started increasing from the steroid drops I am on. The first couple days I was much more tired and almost foggy minded. Also had to urinate much more often. Than after the first couple days, my body got very used to it. The only main symptom I have now is light tingling in my feet. My eye pressure was down from 39 to 28 in a weeks time.”

auraleh · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 20, 2014

“I have Iritis, so to get rid of the inflamation, I was given Ozurdex which caused intense pressure to 40%. The DR. gave me acetazolamide which got rid of the pressure, but caused these insane rashes everywhere on my legs and extreme muscle pain. The loss of appetite is not a big deal to me as well as the tingly toe thing but I have those as well. I've been on this medicine for 2 months and just realized my symptoms are as a result. I seem to be the only one with these crazy side effects so if anyone else has them, please share and tell your DR.”

Jas August 2, 2019

Diamox (acetazolamide): “I don’t like this one bit, the first day I took it I felt like I was having a massive panic attack or I was going to go crazy, I tried to stick it out for a couple more days and take it right before I sleep and that helped but honestly it’s such a pain to eat and take it right before bed and force yourself to sleep otherwise your going to have to go to hospital... it has really red marks whenever I lean on arm, hand. Anyways I don’t like it but everyone’s different so give it a shot :)”

babylove1820 April 7, 2011

“I have a lot of fluid in my optic nerve, blurred vision. I have couple days taking this medication twice daily, and it give me some side effects ...gives me tingling in my fingers and toes, nausea and I also experienced dizziness but my doctor says it will go away in two weeks.”

VPenguin September 3, 2017

“For lowering pressure the medication is very effective, however the side effects are a nightmare. I get tingling sensations everywhere, dehydration, increased urine, drowsiness. It doesn't help that I'm also a teenager who needs to concentrate on my studies so it's a miracle I managed to get through school recently.”

Mika June 22, 2018

“I took this medicine once and the side effects are horrible. It decreases my potassium to the point that I felt the pressure on my head and it feels like I was about to collapse. My whole body started to feel numb and I was shaking and scared. (I was about to panic when I felt that numbness all over my body ) but I stayed calm and rested but I can still feel the tingling sensation. I pee a lot , dizziness and I feel like it triggers my anxiety. But this medicine helped my eye pressure. I just took this once and I will never take that again. Earlier I went to my opthamologist and he is kind of shocked that I said I was about to collapse and he said that don't take that medicine because of the side effects. Right now I can still feel the tingling in my fingers and foot. Ijust ate banana and it helps...”

Chip · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 20, 2019

“My worst side effect experience is lack of appetite and lethargy at times, now I have some diarrhea. But my eye pressure is down to 18 in one eye 13 in the left as of last check, but the loss off appetite concerns me”

Bruno · Taken for less than 1 month June 20, 2019

“I've been taking this for almost a month now at 500mg a day. Made me terribly sleepy at first and I slept almost all day on the first Sunday (4 days in), terrible abdominal pains, wooly head and nausea plus more frequent urination. Sleepiness has passed and I've been taking the tablets before a meal and that has helped with the abdominal pain. Still waking in the night to visit the loo but daytime urination has normalised. Nausea is a constant though and I have to force myself to eat. The consultant has given me another month's supply, oh joy.”

mrs welsh · Taken for less than 1 month March 19, 2018

“This is the third time taking acetazolamide. The main side effect for me is the eggy taste inmy mouth, constant loose bowels, numbness in my hands and feet and face, feeling cold, tired and week. think I've tried almost every eye drop on the market and pressures are still over 40. I'm on this medication for 2 months four times a day. My operation is on 3/5/18 really hoping the side effects ease off soon it's beginning to get me down.”

Alethya September 20, 2017

“My eye pressure was up in the 40s and Dr. gave me 1 pill only to help get it down. About 20 mins later I started feeling numbness all over my legs, arms, nose and upper lip. It was annoying but not painful. I was needing to pee very often and was super low energy the rest of the day. Glad I only had to take the 1 pill. It only slightly helped the eye pressure issue.”

Sheryl · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2018

“I am home from cataract surgery have taken 3 pills. The soles of my feet were tingling with such intensity they hurt. Did not last long, then around my mouth started tingling, feels like I ate as mango which I am highly allergic to. Afraid to take the last one”

Gfa July 13, 2016

Diamox (acetazolamide): “Miserable! I was tired. Weak, couldn't stand or walk. My lips were chapped, burning and the corners of my mouth were red and raw. Food and drink burned when swallowed .”

Learn more about Glaucoma