User Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide to treat High Blood Pressure

Also known as: HydroDIURIL, Microzide, Ezide, Esidrix, Hydro Par, Carozide, Diaqua Aquazide H

Hydrochlorothiazide has an average rating of 5.1 out of 10 from a total of 118 ratings for the treatment of High Blood Pressure. 33% of those users who reviewed Hydrochlorothiazide reported a positive effect, while 39% reported a negative effect.

Hydrochlorothiazide Rating Summary

5.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 286 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Hydrochlorothiazide

Redem · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2021

“Was on hydrochlorothiazide for 5 days. Constant and severe panic attacks. The water weight loss was nice. Ended up with violent shivers, went to the Er and had extremely low potassium especially but all my electrolytes across the board were very low. Had to have potassium given orally and by IV for hours just to get to a stable level and that is very painful. Doctor took me off it immediately.”

Katluv · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 24, 2020

“This medication was ineffective for me - years ago, I had a mini-stroke, also known as a TIA. At first, hydrochlorothiazide helped a little bit, but when you have 158/90 BP, you need more than 5% reduction in it. This medication made me severely dehydrated and caused significant electrolyte loss. I quit it and tried Chlorthalidone, but that again failed - if you only have mild elevated BP, this could be OK; if you have significant hypertension, though, you are much better suited to a real medication, such as a beta blocker.”

yuyo September 23, 2020

“When to my pc doctor for high blood pressure and he prescribed hydrochlorothiazide. I looked up the side effects and quickly decided that this medication is not anything I want to put in my system especially when one of the side is high blood pressure. All the side effects of this medication are very scary! If I had known I would never had filled this prescription. I am changing my PC because I have lost faith in him and do not believe in his competency to prescribe medication. A patient should learn to look up the side effects of their prescription and see for them self IF what they have been prescribe is right for them. If in doubt ask the doctor why he prescribed that medication and if he could prescribe something else.”

Mj · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2020

“I was put on hydrochlorothiazide due to my BP 150/86. I took it in the morning and very soon afterwards my BP went to 171/112. I felt dizzy, headache, I felt like something was really wrong with me. I went to the hospital and they said I was having a horrible reaction. After 2 days of not taking it my BP went back to what it was. It's great if it works for you but for me I'm going to try diet and exercise.”

kevin · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 23, 2020

“I was on thiazide for 10 years, I started to get bad gout, and developed psoriasis on elbows and knees and it was getting out of control. At the time I didn’t realize it was the side effect of hydrochlorathiazide. So I got a new doctor as my old one retired, he didn't like thiazides so I got off it. After a year my gout has gone, psoriasis is gone, nails are smooth, skin feels better. I hope this helps some people.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2020

“Took this medicine for about three weeks, 25 mg, along with Lisinopril 10 mg. Did nothing much to lower blood pressure. Ended up in emergency room after three weeks with low sodium levels. Dr lowered dosage to 12.5 mg and increased Lisinopril to 20 mg daily. After lowering dosage it didn’t help. Family doctor finally took me completely off the drug said I was allergic to it. Got to keep sodium levels checked for awhile. Glad I’m off. Still on Lisinopril.”

Jean · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 17, 2020

“I am 62 and have been on hydrochlorothiazide for 8 months for high blood pressure. I Have developed side effects of a severe itchy rash with blistering. It is helping with excess fluid that Lisinopril couldn't manage for BP. The rash and blistering is getting worse. However, I also suspect skin issues might be due to Levothyrozine or Synthroid. Has anyone ever experienced skin problems with Hydrochlorozide? I have stopped both but know it takes time to clear system. Read lots of reviews on bad skin issues on Synthroid use. Has to be one or both of meds for sure?”

Mom · Taken for 10 years or more January 14, 2020

“I've been on HCTZ for over a decade and haven't really had any problems until the past year or so. I was taken off of it because of failing kidney function and was surprised to see the change. I had developed horrific leg cramps and foot numbness a couple years ago that I blamed on my back issues. I'm now off this med and realizing that these were side effects of this med. Today I can feel my feet today and I haven't had a leg spasm in days. These spasms were constant and severe enough that they used to make me have to jump out of bed at night.....many times a night! Cramps were in my hands, my back, upper and lower legs and hips. I've been off of this med for 5 days only and wonder what other symptoms might also go away that I didn't pay attention to. Feeling more alert today too!”

Erik A October 8, 2019

“I was only on HCTZ 12.5mg, along with Losartan 50mg, for five dosages and it caused some bad physical and mental side effects. They included panic attacks, headaches, pressure behind the eyes, lightheadedness, confusion, foggy feelings, being tired and also unable to sleep, lack of appetite, and probably more that I am forgetting. I also fainted twice, within 15 minutes of each other, on the evening of my third dose, which included spending three hours in the ER to recover from massive dehydration. I had a follow up appointment with my PCP earlier today, prior to my sixth dosage, and he told me to stop taking it. I have been off it for only 28 hours and the side effects are gone! I still have a mild headache, but it is considerably better than the past couple of days. I know medication reacts differently for every person, but, for me, it was not worth taking this medications/dosage, which did lower my blood pressure a small amount, compared to all of the side effects I experienced.”

Richard September 23, 2019

“I am 67 years old and was diagnosed with high blood pressure in 2000. My doctor prescribed a daily dose of 25mg of Hydrochlorothiazide and I have taken it all these years with no side effects. It has worked well for me and keeps my BP in the range of 125/85. I am sorry to read that others have had problems with the drug. I consider myself very fortunate.”

gd · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 30, 2019

“Started getting headaches after 3 months, then developed capillaritis over next few months. Started on hands, went up my arms then covered my legs. It was horrible. Dermatologist took biopsy and ran bloodwork and has noted my medical record that my condition was drug induced. Thankfully after stopping this poison, the rash went away but it took 8 weeks to completely clear.”

AJC · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 5, 2019

“I'm a 50 year old female. I was on Hydrochlorothiazide for 1 year and 3 months for uncontrolled high blood pressure which landed me in the ER with a hypertensive crisis. The last 4 months of taking the med I had been experiencing terrible side effects. Most notably was the skin reaction to sunlight. Severe photosensitivity, toxicity. I would break out in a sun rash on all exposed skin including face neck chest and arms within 10 minutes of sun exposure. I started having kidney pain that would wake me at night. I chose taper off the BP med and began to limit sodium intake to 1500mg per day not exceeding 2000 mg and taking 300mg of potassium supplement daily along with D3 vitamin. I eat 1 cup of oatmeal and 6 oz of blueberries every day. Pleased to say I no longer take Hydrochlorothiazide. Even happier to report BP is averaging 115/70 every day and the side effects are gone.”

Rocky · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 18, 2019

“My 79 yr old mother has experienced very high blood pressure. She had been taking HCTZ for four months which helped lower her BP but ever since she had a persistent very dry cough to the point of choking each time. She stopped this med. and the coughing stopped after just a few days. Her cardiologist said there was no such side effect as coughing... but I insisted with our family doctor to take her off that med. Listen to your loved ones as too often the doctors don't take their complaints seriously. If I would not have insisted she would still be taking HCTZ.”

Mikey · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 17, 2019

“The drug does its job but the side effects of migraine like headaches makes it impossible to take for a long time. I have to take it twice a week so I don't have continuous headaches. The other side effect is extreme muscle soreness in the back and neck”

Sheilah · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2019

“Does not work like my last white and blue ones, does Not make me pee!”

Mgray · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 18, 2019

“I have a genetic HBP and had been on Lisinopril for many years. It started not working well so hydrochlorozide was added. The first few months seemed to go well aside from fatigue. The last few months I have had a resting pulse rate of 115 and palpitations. I sweat tremendously and feel exhausted. I went to the doctor yesterday who took me off it. Beta-blockers cause me depression, can’t do channel blockers. Am on Ibestartan and hope it will hold it. Different drugs affect people differently but to think it is a magic pill with no side effects is a mistake.”

Anonymous June 8, 2019

“If you are taking this medicine and having gout. You should talk to your doctor. I had never had gout before being on hdrochlorothiazide and the Dr keep on telling me it was my diet and not telling me that this is a side effect of HCTZ.”

19giantrobot67 · Taken for less than 1 month May 20, 2019

“I've been taking this hydrochlorothiazide drug for a little over a week. My systolic blood pressure is down ten points - was taking it for high blood pressure. My "always swollen" ankles, feet and calves are now slim and fluid free. Very pleased with that!”

Seve · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2019

“I believe hydrochlorothiazide caused my stroke, one week after taking it I had a brain bleed stroke.”

KAG!2020 August 2, 2018

“I am a 63 y/o male dx'd with hypertension; it was discovered during a left inguinal hernia examination. I was averaging a bp reading of 143/86, with a systolic range of 138-167, and a diastolic range of 91 - 100 - basically stage 1 and stage 2 levels over the past two weeks. I have always been in good health, never smoked, am not obese or diabetic, am physically active, but hypertension runs in the family. My primary doctor suggested medication a few weeks ago and I balked at the thought of taking meds. That said, I took my first non-antibiotic med in my life about 2 hours ago - 25 mg. of Hydrochlorodiazide. Only 1 hour and 20 minutes after taking the pill I checked my bp, not expecting much of a change. Lo and behold, I clocked a 133/83. 10 minutes later it was 129/83. I took the final reading and it was 128/83. Absolutely no side effects as I write this 2 hours and 10 minutes later. If the outcome remains as positive as it is right now, then taking a tiny pill once a day is well worth the expense.”

Barbie · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 25, 2018

“Love this pill. It's a water pill!! No side effects after 6 years of use. My blood pressure is good now. Also take another BP pill at night . I'm 80 and feel like 60.”

Kat · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 9, 2018

“This medication works better for me take separately compared to when built into my other blood pressure pill.”

Cat · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 1, 2018

“I'm a 57 year old woman with high blood pressure, I had been on lisinopril for about a year and a half. I had severe case of pancreatitis last August and my doctor said my meds had to be changed. They tried several different meds for high blood pressure but it was still staying too high. Next they tried metoprolol and it was coming down, but doctor felt it wasn't enough, so added hydrochlorathyazide 12.5 mg. I don't retain water at all, so can't understand putting me on it. I've been taking it for about 5 months, started having lots of problems but not sure why. Increased sweating, thirst, headaches, severe sinus congestion and pain. Talked with my doctor but she feels I should continue this medicine, I'm considering taking myself off of it and see what happens, if symptoms go away I'll know it was this medicine. Any thoughts from others would be helpful.”

ABQ Woman. April 10, 2018

“I am only 45 yo. This medicine, I was put on when I felt perfectly fine. I was told my blood pressure was a little elevated. The next day after taking this medication I was hauled off in an Ambulance from work with symptoms of a stroke a reaction to this medication and was scared for my life and thought I was either going to die or end up in a coma, or be paralyzed for life. My face drooped for 20 minutes, my speech slowed and I could not find words, so luckily my boss called 911 in time and the Dr and staff were able to prevent a stroke and TIA. I am scared to take any new medication now. Looking for a solidarity approach. My blood pressure went the opposite direction and through the roof and I was scared for my life and stayed in the hospital for 2 days. The pharmacy called me to see how I was doing and the Pharm D told me to stop the medicine since my blood pressure changed for the worse to consistently abnormally high. I am now ok after stopping this med.”

Sunnidale April 2, 2018

“I am 69 years old and have had high blood pressure since my 40’s. I am also obese, which doesn’t help. My doctor put me on Benazepril/HCTZ (20/25mg) daily and I took that for many years without any problems. Last year I lost 60 lbs and started having dizzy spells and lightheadedness. My blood pressure was very low. I stopped taking the medication and felt better immediately. My blood pressure was in the 120/80 range. This year, even with maintaining my weight loss, my blood pressure started creeping up. It was going between 125/80 to 140/90. My doctor said that it would continue to increase as I get older and I need to go back on medication to treat it. He started me on 12.5 mg HCTZ. But after 2 weeks, my blood pressure had only gone down slightly. He then told me to take 25 mg daily. It has been a week since I started the higher dose and my blood pressure is down to 120/80. I am very lucky that I have never experienced any of the side effects mentioned by other people.”

Learn more about High Blood Pressure