User Reviews for Atenolol

Also known as: Tenormin

Learn more about Atenolol.

Mitral Valve Prolapse 7 reviews 12 medications

Alcohol Withdrawal 1 reviews 17 medications

6.3
Summary of Atenolol reviews 156 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Atenolol

For Anxiety: "I am a hypochondriac, I fear that I am dying of something all the time. I got on atenolol for my anxiety, I take it sometimes twice daily. I find that it lowers my heart rate which calms me down since I am not worrying what I could possibly have. I like it a lot. It is a nice small pill that I take and I have had a heart rate in the 50s from it... But it usually is more subtle and does not move the number of beats per minute that much. It makes me not worry about my pulse."

Smalm (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Pros:Overall my experience is positive. Controlling a BP to below 110 for an aortic aneurysm. Cons: dependent on manufacturing for sure.one manufacturer left me exhausted, to low of a BP, and low heart rate."

Maineiacs (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Let me start off by saying that I've done my research on Atenolol--it doesn't have the greatest track record, and there's a lot of evidence coming out saying that it doesn't actually protect your heart or arteries from damage. But Atenolol is the only thing that has worked to control my heart. I used to have high BP (160/100) and tachycardia at times, but as soon as I started taking Atenolol, it was like I was normal again. And I can definitely tell a difference when I stop taking it. I get a little shortness of breath very infrequently and my pulse is sometimes under 60bpm, but it's the one drug that has worked for years. I wish I could find something better/more effective, but I haven't yet. Tried Losartan, Vasartan, and a few others."

FlightlessBird (taken for 10 years or more) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I very nearly died when taking this drug. I became confused, had difficulty standing up from a chair, felt dizzy and uncoordinated and worst of all, at night, when I could hear my heart beat, I noted that my heart stopped for about 6 beats before jump- starting again. I told my kidney specialist about the symptoms - and he gave me an IQ test as he thought I had Alzeimers! I was very confused but I managed a high score on the test. He still did not link my symptoms to Atenolol but one day at the dialysis centre my heart rate was so low I had to be rushed by ambulance into Resus at the hospital. Adrenaline was injected as by that time my heart rate was only 7 beats a minute. I was taken immediately in to theatre where a pacemaker was inserted."

skipman July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Had taken this for 60 days, now I am experiencing severe head/forehead pain. I can't take the pain anymore. When I realised that this is causing head pain, I had stop taking. Now its ok. Also this tabs will decrease your sex drive. If you are married and still young, please think twice before taking this. My BP is fine and heart rate is normal now."

Winnie SP June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Mitral Valve Prolapse: "I've had great luck with this product for the last ten years. I'm on an extremely low dose (12.5mg every 24 hours), and it controls my heart rate and blood pressure beautifully with no side effects. I have found if I take a whole 25mg. tablet a day, sometimes my feet seem a bit cold, but I'd much rather have a controlled heart rate and wear socks than a heart rate in the 120s and warm feet. Overall, though, this product has been fantastic for me!"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tenormin (atenolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "After I take 25 mg tenormin and avapro 75mg my heartbeat is better"

Justinus (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I've suffered migraines since I was 10 years old. I am now 65 and on Atenolol for 15 plus years. My NP took me off Imitrex because I was over using. I was a about to explode from over use. NP said we should try Atenolol. My life changed dramatically, I'm finally living life headache free. I get my RX filled and get 3 month supply for $10."

Chachiglo May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I was given Atenolol for rapid heartbeat and high blood pressure, I was on recruiting duty and had started these problems, plus I started to have migraine headaches several times a week. When the army doctor started treating me for the rapid heartbeat and high blood pressure, my migraines stopped. I seldom get any migraines now. I've been taking Atenolol since the mid 1980's. The Atenolol was a miracle drug for me."

Retired Army (taken for 10 years or more) April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I would stay away from atenolol. I was on it for 6 years and the entire time I had chronic gout flare ups, really bad cholesterol and even worse triglycerides. Doctors couldn't figure it out. Then one day I woke up and though the only med I've been on consistently for those years was atenolol. So I lied to my doctor and told him it wasn't lowering my blood pressure anymore and asked for amlodipine as my mother has been on it for a long time with great results. As soon as I stopped taking the atenolol, within a week all my joints started feeling better. It's now been about 2 years since my last atenolol pill and the same amount of time since my last gout flare up. Also just tested my cholesterol and it's perfect!"

BigDaddyBustARubber (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I have been on atentolol for about 12yrs now. I was wondering how lipitor interacts with it."

Missozzie (taken for 10 years or more) March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Can somebody explain - is it worth taking 25 mg before making any presentation or social gathering. Kindly share"

Rajnag March 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "Works very well for physcial symptoms of anxiety. Heart palps are under control and blood pressure and heart rate are now excellent. I only need 12.5-25 mg once a day. Great med."

Jwright7784 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I have used this drug for many yrs mainly for headaches, but also slightly high BP- it works wonderfully! The only side effect is slight tiredness due to lowering pulse, but tolerable if I force myself to get up & move when feeling extra tired!"

Lighthouse luver January 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "This drug was awful for me, I was on it 7/8 years ago when I was 13/14. I have always had normal/low blood pressure, reading sometimes normal of 120/80 but sometimes 90/60. My cardiologist put me on 25MG of Atenolol because my heart rate would reach max super quickly during exercise. I was on it for a couple of weeks before beginning to feel symptoms. I couldn't stand up without fading out. The worst part for me is that it gave me deeply disturbing intrusive suicidal thoughts that seemed to come from nowhere. I was extremely depressed and cried a lot. When I told my cardiologist of my symptoms, he doubled my dosage and put me on 50MG. I slowly weaned myself off because I couldn't take it anymore."

Nochka January 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I was given this in 200mg for Mitral valve prolapse and Regurgitation. I had suffered with panic attack and anxiety for years. What a gift for me...it unbeknownst to me treats anxiety... I no longer suffer from it. Nothing short of miracle to me!"

texaschick9187 December 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been on Atenolol for 15 years. My dosage was reduced from 50mg to 25mg about 6 mos. ago when I experienced bradycardia--low heart rate. Noticed that I was happier and less tired. Recently started having chest pains, tightness and high BP readings right after taking 25mg Atenolol. After several hours, my BP returns to normal at 120/75. Upon awaking--it is very normal still. My doctor has prescribed another BP med (Lisinopril) but after reading about the horrible "common" side effects, I am deciding to try natural supplements instead. Even the pharmacist warned me about the new medication. I think the pharmaceutical market wants to keep us on these outrageous medications for profit and probably 50% of us don't really need it."

webgal14 (taken for 10 years or more) December 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I started taking atenolol (25 mg) right after Thanksgiving for heart palpitations. When I saw the Dr he said I had sinus tachycardia, but I also have severe panic disorder. I can tell a big difference. I will have a palpitation every now and then but my resting heart rate is down. I haven't noticed that my anxiety is down so I still take my .25 xanax when I need it. I also haven't noticed any side effects other than a little dizziness and a little chest tightness. Its kind of been a life saver because my palpitations would put me in a panic attack. I would recommend this to anyone that would benefit from it."

Kaynkimmom December 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I know it's been at least 15 yrs taking this medication. It's the ONLY one I take. It does the job no anxiety and blood pressure low. I'm 48yrs old and it does seem like I'm experience the few side affects now. I'm tired, don't sleep well, sex drive is decreased. My biggest complaint about the medication is that All OUR doctor's give us absolutely NO homeopathic alternative!!!! I read All 4 pages of comments and no one has been offered a better solution.I know drugs help but the dependency is beyond belief. A person on here posted a comment about the pharmaceutical industry depend on All of US to use these medications. With out a better solution. To me we've become drug addicts. There's gotta be a better,Natural solution to our problems."

Paffy November 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been taking Atenolol 50 mg since 1996. I had no idea that I had stage 3 hypertension. Atenolol, from what I have been reading today, I have had side effects mentioned here. Gout, water retention and chills and very dizzy, almost passing out. It took a month or so for it to all settle down. It's probably been two years total after I started on Atenolol the gout pain to go away, seemingly. Keep your doctor and pharmacist in the loop or your reactions good or bad. I haven't paid attention to my blood pressure other than taking my Atenolol. Oooops. I was just at my dentist, and my blood pressure was insane. 217/118. Obviously, I'm going to have to toddle over the emergency room. That rate is about where it was in the beginning. I gave the drug a high mark here. It has worked very well. I've nosed around, and there seems to be a pattern with Atenolol and men over 60 with HPB, that appears to imply that Atenolol loses effectiveness. So boys, keep track of your numbers."

Rattled Pan (taken for 10 years or more) November 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Excellant , keeps my blood pressure down"

Anonymous November 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I was diagnosed with genetic high blood pressure at 21. My dr put me on atenolol and it helped tremendously with my migraines. At first I thought it worked pretty well and hadn't had any side effects. Fast forward several years and I was always tired, suffered from anhedonia and depression, had decreased libido, and could never get a "runner's high" from working out. I'm off of it now and I feel alive again. The depression and anhedonia has lifted, I enjoy working out, and am myself again. It controlled my blood pressure well but at the expense of losing myself, it just wasn't worth it."

PittGrl October 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Important when taking atenolol with Diabetes Mellitus it masks hypoglycaemic warning signs "

Dr,B.,udayashankar October 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "I just started using this for migraine prevention this week. I've had no bad side effects. I've actually been sleeping better and I feeling less anxiety. I will post a follow-up review in a couple of months."

New Atenolol User September 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "since taking atenolol 50 mg twice daily for about a year i have been slightly weak, and gained a little weight which is hard to get off. i think i have other side effects but nothing extreme. my problem, i mean the one that worries me, is nightmares. i simply don't like having crazy nightmares. i think i'd rather gamble on having elevated bp. i think my quality of life will go up if i reduce the dosage, even though my longevity will probably go down. i suppose there are other medicines which do the same as atenolol, but i think maybe it's better to see if i can get along without them. of course, if my health gets worse, then i must give up and just do what the doctor tells me. i trust my doctor, i just want to trust myself too."

goody2shoz September 25, 2016