User Reviews for Atenolol

6.3

1 review 17 medications
Summary of Atenolol reviews 7.6 188 reviews

Reviews for Atenolol

For Migraine Prevention: "I had migraines from the age of 40 to 56 - two or three every month. An ergotamine med usually worked. When I was 56, the ergotamine didn't work and I went to the ER. My blood pressure was unusually high. I was put on a daily dose of 150 MG of Atenolol. That was 16 years ago. I have had NO migraines and NO headaches of any kind in 16 years. My heart rate is very low - 40s - 50s - but my doctor says it's no problem unless I feel really dizzy or faint."

GNIck (taken for 10 years or more) June 21, 2019

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I never had an episode while taking 50 mg / day."

Mondia (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2019

For Anxiety: "I've suffered situational anxiety for 4 years. Every time I had to speak in a group I'd have a panic attack. My heart would pound in my chest like a jackhammer and my voice would shake. It was so embarrassing and I feared it would hurt my career. I tried behavioral therapy and benzos to manage my anxiety. Nothing really worked until I tried Atenolol. It is an absolute Godsend. It steadied my heart rate and enabled me to not only speak in groups but also deliver presentations in front of a bunch of people. I highly recommend Atenolol for people suffering situational anxiety. I had one bad experience in public speaking my brain had learned to flood my body with adrenal any time I had to speak in public. The fight-or-flight response in my body created a vicious cycle where I would fear being afraid. I recommend behavioral therapy in conjunction with taking Atenolol. Therapy can help you understand the root mental/emotional cause of your anxiety."

Sergeant Tubbs June 18, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "Doctor originally started me on lisinopril; CONSTANT, CHRONIC diarrhea from the moment I started it. Within HOURS of stopping it, diarrhea stopped. Doctor switched me to atenolol and been on it ever since. Only side effect was when doctor decided to double the dosage and I nearly wrecked the car! Never again! Back to 50 mg. BP always between 110-116 over 65-70."

Valerie (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 16, 2019

For Mitral Valve Prolapse: "At 27 years old I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse, hypertension, and fast heart beat. My fabulous doctor, who was the head of the hypertension department started me on 50mg. Tenormin daily for the first month, and then increased it to 100mg daily (which is now called Atenolol (generic). I'm now 62 years old and have successfully been taking the same medication & dosage for all these years!!!"

Jen (taken for 10 years or more) May 21, 2019

Tenormin (atenolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I took Tenormin for one year and it always reduced my heart rate and also blood pressure which was very useful. Towards the end of the one year of treatment I suffered strange artefacts in my visual field, swelling of the face, dyspnea, swollen hands, etc., and the side-effects were similar to pseudo lupus."

TJ (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 29, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "My cousin took atenolol 50mg, the first week still working well however on the second week started to have sudden mild shortness of breath which last for 5-10 mins, and my BP can be as low as to 98/65 . Reduce the dose to 25 mg, however the sudden mild SOB still exist, reduce it to 12.5mg , on monitoring status... Reduce the dose slowly if having such side effects, with consultation with your Doctor."

Ron (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "At first was really nice to find a blood pressure pill with not so many side effects. Also helped with anxiety which was an added bonus. The first week or so was nice one night woke up one eye was seeing double went away by morning - never had that before. Recently chest & back was very sore & had weird breathing patterns with fast breathing at moments but not getting better. Missed a dose the next day the back & chest pain gone. If it was not for these problems I would still be taking. I would recommend this to people but with the heart failure that this medication could cause. I know people on this drug no problems for them."

Captain underpants (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2019

For Anxiety: "I’m on atenolol (50mg in the morning 25mg at night) for a heart condition(SVT). I only recently learned it was also an anxiety medication, which I also deal with, but I still experience a lot of symptoms (enough to have to talk to someone about) however I do notice higher heart rate at social situations if I miss a dose. taking for 3 years not this dosage tho"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 22, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "Have been taking this for years, basically I'll self medicate to get the right dose for the day. Some days I don't need any others I need a bit more. (Doctor is fine with me doing it also) Was put on it after a nasty experience with Vioxx. I do lots of running, cycling, swimming, and just an all around fitness junkie. Aside from a cough when my HR gets to 152, and a bit of insomnia it has worked great."

Weathertwp (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 18, 2018

Tenormin (atenolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "Been taking Atenelol for 27 years for SVT. I take 50 mg twice daily. The only side effect is cold hands and feet for me. This drug has helped me more than any I've taken. In the beginning it made me very tired and my heart rate was in the 50s, but it take a bit of time for side effects to wear off."

Trace (taken for 10 years or more) November 26, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking atenolol for 3 months. From about 3 hours after first dose, I noticed a weight gone off my chest and the tension in my neck and head. I take 25mg alongside of 5mg amlodipine . My Bp is constant at 115/62 ."

Dm (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2018

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "My cardiologist prescribed one-half of the 25 mg. atenolol pill for premature ventricular complexes, which started occurring post-ablation for SVT (supraventricular tachycardia). I find this medication to be very effective in keeping me calm, and my blood pressure nice and low. It has no negative side effects. I feel the extra benefit of this med is the calm I experience. It is so nice to not react rashly in certain situations. Yeah for atenolol!!!"

Kwissay (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I’m 38 have had headaches all my life, until I was put on atenolol now they're gone. I started out on 25mg about 2 months ago and now I’m on 50mg. It’s great for headaches and it cost me $2.99 for a month supply, but I think I need to go back to the 25mg and maybe the side effects will go away. It’s a wonderful feeling to be headache free but I can do with the side effects."

Hoss (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "On this I have found out that my feet turn almost blue if they get cold"

Scrippy (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 8, 2018

For Anxiety: "Can't tell if this was any help"

Me (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2018

For Anxiety: "Recently prescribed this med for SVT attack. Lowered my BP, heart rate and overall anxiety. Have not noticed any bad side effects and super affordable!!!"

JJJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "My doctor recommended a low dose of atenolol for high blood pressure (25mg once a day) and I was afraid to take it after reading reviews here! But I am happy to report that the drug is working great for me, bringing my blood pressure from borderline back into the normal range. I am not experiencing any side effects. I would recommend to a friend!"

512707 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "The only drug that works for my high blood pressure I take 12.5mg per day. I tried norvasc and micardis but both not working to lower my blood pressure"

Nikita (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2018

Tenormin (atenolol) for Migraine Prevention: "Had headaches for years. Got where over the counter medicines wouldn't work. Dr put me on this medicine. I was a little scare at first since I have no blood pressure problems. So far my headache are gone. I was put on 25 mg a day. Half a pill in the morning other half in the evening. I should of went to Dr sooner with this problem."

Scotch (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I was diagnosed with migraines at 16. I have had them now for 40 years mine come in cycles I get them every day for about 3 wks maybe 2 hrs relief a day, but then I will not get them again for about 6 wks when the cycle restarts. I was put on atenolol 100 mg in 2004 to help prevent these headaches, I can't say the atenolol has reduced the amount of headaches I get, but I do believe it has helped the severity of pain. I haven't had as many trips to the hospital. What has helped me the most is axert for migraine pain."

Brownie (Canada) April 18, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Insomnia. Severe depression. Sadness crave alcohol"

Bob April 14, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "My back, hurts all the time , it's hard for me to walk.My neighbor thought I was drunk, I never drink!I would feel like I was falling, Had too much pain, I just got off these pill, I'm still in pain, I'd get up in the morning, and all of a sudden, I was so tired and sleepy, so I'd go back to sleep, I felt like I was dying. Couldn't do much being so tired all the time, and feeling like I was falling, and drunk! Don't take this pill."

Sophie April 2, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I'm 49, 6'2", 185lbs. and have been on Atenolol for about 10 years. I have a bi-cuspid aortic valve which has been stable over the years. The drug keeps my BP a consistent BP 112/70. This is the only drug I take for my condition. My cardiologist sold Atenolol to me as "heart conditioner". I am fairly active; I try to run a 5k every day (road or treadmill), lift weights several times a week and mountain bike whenever I can get it in. I do experience some common side effects such as occasional dizziness, 10lbs. extra weight (in spite of my exercise) I cannot lose and insomnia. I never liked taking Atenolol but I am starting to wonder about the long term side effects."

Jake70 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 6, 2018

For Anxiety: "Atenolol has worked great but found I had to take it on an empty stomach or else it wasn't as effective. When I had to go off of it due to the supply disruption, Metoprolol was not working the same and the anxiety was brutal, couple that with the fact my Doc was on vacation and I had to deal with a nurse who was just trying to stall me and my symptoms."

t-dizz (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 23, 2018