User Reviews for Atenolol

Also known as: Tenormin

Atenolol has an average rating of 7.4 out of 10 from a total of 225 ratings on Drugs.com. 66% of those users who reviewed Atenolol reported a positive effect, while 16% reported a negative effect.

Mitral Valve Prolapse   9.7
High Blood Pressure   6.7
Summary of Atenolol reviews 7.4 225 reviews

Reviews for Atenolol

NA March 1, 2021

For Anxiety: “I've had severe anxiety since I was a child, I've always worried about something usually health related. In my late teens I began to have panic attacks, seen the doctors and they all gave stuff like prozac, zoloft, and hydroxyzine. But last year I was having bad anxiety that lasted for weeks at a time and it was all panic attacks. I was getting heart rates in the 150s at a minimum and 180 at the max in the ER bed, they tried the hydroxyzine and Benadryl to calm me down and knock me out, it didn't really work. Then I got a different ER dr who gave me Atenolol 25MG, and let me tell you, this is the ONLY thing that worked. It stops panic attacks right in its tracks after 30 mins or so. No shakiness, no high heart rate, no sweating. Even in stressful situations which you would normally panic you stay calm, it doesn't act up. I take half a pill as needed, and when I need it, it always worked and has kept me out of the ER for anxiety. If your dr gives you this I highly recommend you try it.”

Joe · Taken for less than 1 month February 23, 2021

For Anxiety: “Took atenolol for only a couple weeks for anxiety, maybe 2 or 3 times a week. It definitely calmed me down but after a couple weeks I noticed I was really depressed, especially when I took the atenolol. To the point where suicidal thoughts were swimming around in my head and I felt hopeless 24/7. Turns out beta blockers like atenolol actually affect your brain too, and this can lead to depression. If you decide you want to take this drug for anxiety, it should only be used in emergency situations, this is a serious drug.”

Advoman · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I was prescribed Altenolol for minor high blood pressure due to pain. I’m not one take medication. The first day taking Altenolol. I was very fatigued. Second day I had a rash on my back and stomach area! The itching was like having poison Ivy. Horrible! Had to go to urgent care for a shot to stop the itching. After dealing with that issue I decided to go back to natural ways. Started on a red beet supplements! BP went down to 102-67 in three days, From 158/101. I feel like I am 25! Feeling great using natural resources instead of chemicals.”

Skipped a Beat · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2021

For Ventricular Tachycardia: “My PVCs got much worse about 6 months ago. I figure on average I was skipping 5 beats a minute but would often go into a one out of every three pattern for hours which makes you think you're near death. The jury is still out but I started 25mg of atenolol daily a week ago and I am >90 percent improved. BP is much better and my heart no longer races. God bless the makers of atenolol...”

Bon · Taken for less than 1 month December 19, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I was on Bisoprolol for eight years and suffered extreme pain was told it was fibromyalgia and was sent to see many specialist, none of which connected it was blood pressure tablet. Eventually my Dr changed it too Atenolol, and after the first tablet I was again in extreme pain to my arms shoulders joints ankle. After years of this extreme pain and being bed bound, and given more drugs for the pain I’m at the end of my rope and have decided to see a specialist privately.”

Vic December 11, 2020

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I have been taking atenolol about a year now (for SVT) & am very sensitive to medicines (as is 10% of the population). I was prescribed 25mg 1/day & it made me feel real dizzy & almost a bit tipsy, also had pain in toes (probably a lack of circulation from a slower heart rate) even a 12.5mg dose made me feel that way, so I have found that 1/4 -of a tablet-6.25mg 1/day works well for me (the tablets aren’t time release or coated so can be cut, even though it’s a bit hard to get precise even cuts-Drs won’t tell you this & mine was a bit perturbed that I lowered my dose but I know my own body better than they do & prefer to take the lowest dose that works best for me....less side effects that way too.) If I miss more than a day, I notice my tachycardia coming back. This medication controls that well. The only downside is that it seems to make me tired & gives me brain fog-I am very forgetful on this medicine. This medication is also very affordable.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 21, 2020

For Anxiety: “Don't normally respond to these reviews, but feel need to share my experience from using atenolol. Not sure how it makes me feel, but my exercise life is the greatest. For years I was unable to run or jog for long distance for short of breath. Maybe a 1/2 to 1 mile max, and I'm totally exhausted. Now I jog/run 2 3/4 miles (bout 11 laps), 4 times a week with energy to spare. Also, I suffered with anxiety going for doctors visits, pulse and heart rate was off the roof, especially when I was up for my yearly DOT certification physical. So again, not quite sure how this med works but it is truly God sent.”

dave · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 7, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I took atenolol 25mg for 3 days (had high BP) and didn't like the way it felt so stopped and tried amlodipine....my heart freaked out and went nuts...ended up with a panic attack (look up the medical definition) and (not knowing what was going on) went to the ER... My experience sucked on this drug...I went back on it and tapered off it over many many weeks and am glad to be off of it. I think if you are having panic attacks that it is probably good and better than going with a benzo....but for for hypertension...there are better choicse. Good luck”

Meyd · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 30, 2020

For Anxiety: “Atenolol worked fantastic for my performance anxiety. I had a big fear of public speaking, and whenever I needed to do a work presentation, my heart would beat so fast that I would get short of breath and wouldn't be able to speak properly, with shaky voice etc. My GP prescribed me 50mg atenolol to take 1 hour before, and it works great, by removing the rapid heart beat. Propranolol appears to be the most common prescribed medication for this issue, however I found Atenolol does the job perfectly.”

KMW · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 27, 2020

“I was prescribed atenolol by a neurologist for Essential Tremor. Since I have Asthma, there are only a couple options of meds to try. I'm on 25mg and it does lessen the tremors. It also helps keep my blood pressure at good number, too. However, I gained about 30 pounds really quickly once I started it. I felt so awful and my stomach was huge. I've lost those 30 pounds now but it's been a lot of work. So while I'm grateful it helps with the tremors, I dislike the weight gain.”

Acadia October 16, 2020

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I was on Atenolol for SVT for 29 years was taking 100mg twice a day and was doing great. My Cardiologist took me off the Atenolol because my BP dropped so low. I tried to explain that I had a stomach bleed and was transfused with 3 pints of blood so maybe that is why I am low. But he switched my Atenolol to Zebeta Fum 6mg for the SVT which caused my SVT to increase. Now he has me taking Diltiazem 120 mg daily. I also have A-Fib and have been in the ER 2 times this week with a heart rate at 230 and a BP of 210 over 160. I think I want my Atenolol 100mg 2Xday back. If you are on Atenolol and do not have side effects would recommend you stay on it. I never had a problem with this med like I seem to be having now.”

Mec September 21, 2020

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “So, I was diagnosed with SVT while on my teens, I barely noticed every episode as I was a healthy person, however after a few palpitations episodes I started taking it more seriously. Now fast forward 15+ years and an apple watch later I started getting notifications that my rate would go over 120 bpms while resting. I went to different doctors and cardiologist that got me in to metroprolol (apparently better) but it made me gain 20 lbs in about 3 weeks and then back to atenolol, we started with 50mg but at the end he told me to try 100mg just to be safe, since then my BPM stays on the 70's while resting, if I do any exercise or physical activity will go to the 110 - 130, heavy load will get to 160 and by then I'll feel I'm dying :) but still will be able to walk away from it. For me it had a period of adjusting, as my BP was not too high sometimes will drop it too much and that would make me dizzy but as I gained weight I think the BP levelled to the point that the 100mg is right.”

Katka · Taken for less than 1 month September 13, 2020

For Anxiety: “It’s only been two days but my BP is lower than it’s been all year. I have rebound insomnia From Klonopin withdrawal- not my choice. Pharmacy refused to refill it after 23 years. I went through a nightmare withdrawal. Haven’t slept more than two hours a night in six months. Then all the things I was taking it for came right back. Anxiety, spasms, constant twitching etc. I have fibromyalgia, arthritis, severe spinal stenosis. Sleep was always poor - woke constantly in a panic. The last two nights I’ve slept almost six hours without waking. So far no side effects. This med is a God send. Plus it was only $3.24 for a 90 day supply.”

Boogie23 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 29, 2020

For Alcohol Withdrawal: “I’ve used propranolol as well as atenolol. I prefer propranolol. I’ve had aortic and mitral heart valves replaced with mechanical ones. Works... but not as well as propranolol for anxiety and nerves.”

Drogba August 27, 2020

For Anxiety: “For those of you taking benzos and still have social anxiety I highly recommend that you try out this drug atenolol it's a wonder drug, yes benzos are effective but they kinda numbs your ability to feel, so I did my homework and went for the atenolol, feeling superb.”

Sunnycloud123 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 18, 2020

For Ventricular Tachycardia: “On this for Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS)This is a terrible drug! I would highly recommend avoiding this med at all costs. This med caused SEVERE dizziness to the point I couldn't function. Also atenolol causes crippling depression and has a black box warning when you stop taking it. Right before I stopped the med I noted extreme breathlessness and felt like I couldn't get enough air.”

Ay · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 10, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I’ve been on Atenolol 50mg and Losartan Potassium 50mg for about 3 years. This will probably be the worst period in my life. My weight went from 78kg to 87kg on same diet, I couldn’t workout again because it was difficult getting out of bed. I was constantly drowsy with joint pains, lower back pains, swollen knees and ankles, occasional itchy throat, usually wake up in the morning with tingling or numb fingers all swollen. I had 2 mild accidents while driving due to drowsiness. My doctor made me do so many tests: ECG, Cortisol test, cholesterols etc. but I didn’t know what was the cause of my ailments until I ran out of my med during this Covid-19 lockdown for 3 days and all my symptoms disappeared except that my bp was 145/80 so I stopped taking these two med. I’m back on water pills only, trying to lose weight: I have never felt so good in about 3 years! Please monitor your symptoms or lifestyle changes while on Atenolol”

JT · Taken for less than 1 month May 23, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “Atenolol was my second try at a preventative (first was another beta blocker- propranolol). I came off propranolol due to insomnia. Atenolol unfortunately also caused insomnia for me. I would have frequent dizzy spells, and fatigue, but could not sleep at night. On to the next!”

Omines · Taken for 5 to 10 years May 4, 2020

For Ventricular Tachycardia: “I’m a 72 yr/old female who’s been on atenolol for decades for palpitations, tachycardia and hypertension. My doc has tried to discontinue it several times, but within days I need to restart it because of the palpitations. I’m now taking 100mg/da. It’s not effective for the hypertension and semi effective for tachycardia.”

Gavilan · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 23, 2020

For Anxiety: “I don’t normally have high BP or anxiety. I was prescribed atenolol 25 mg daily years ago in the midst of a divorce, by a concerned obgyn who was worried about my very high BP and stress/anxiety. I’m so glad he recommended this over anti-anxiety meds! It really helped me sleep and got me through that tough time. I appreciate its subtle calming affect that does not alter my mood. I began taking it again 6 weeks ago due to stress, and again I’m so impressed with how subtle it is and how “normal” I feel. I’m now cutting the dose down to 12.5 mg because it was making me a little too drowsy. I hope that’s a good sign that my anxiety is coming back down. Atenolol is a great option to try before heading to the heavier anti-anxiety arsenal, I think.”

LesF · Taken for 10 years or more April 8, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been on this medication atenolol since I was 19, I am now 50 (31 years). When I first started taking it, I struggled with the fatigue, difficulty concentrating and staying awake during the day. So, instead of taking it in the morning, I take it before bed to sleep off the side effects. I like this medication, it works well for me. I have tried other medications for short periods of time but ended up requesting atenolol because I am very familiar with it and it has fewer side effects.”

Starrberry · Taken for less than 1 month April 5, 2020

Tenormin (atenolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I have arrhythmia and this week I’ve had 2 tachycardia episodes over 200bpm. They prescribed me this medicine Tenormin to help with heart rate stabilization. I was pleased to find that it kept my heart rate between 65-80 all day and it also helped keep me calm. My issue is that this drug should NOT be taken if you have asthma. About 3 hours after I took the first dose, I had a bad asthma attack and had to take my rescue inhaler. It opened me up again, but the rest of the day I had a tight/sore chest with a raspy cough. I wish the doctor told me this to begin with. The drug work fantastically, but not for asthmatics.”

Xyz · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I'm 21 year old with a high blood pressure of 160/100 and a pulse rate of 90+ I used only 5 day of atenolol 50 mg it helps me to lower my blood pressure of 110/70 but also seen side effects from day first (extreme fatigue, coldness and low heart beat (46) now today I'm going to consult my doctor about these side effects”

Arby · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 6, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I took atenolol for about a year. Suddenly noticed a weakness in my upper legs for a month then started swelling with pain in my hands and wrists, feet and ankles. My memory was also deteriorating. The pain was excruciating. It was the only medication I was taking but 5 doctors never linked my condition to the drug. This continued for months until one day I decided to quit the drug and see what happened. Within a few days the swelling subsided and was then gone within a short time. I lived with the pain for 2 1/2 to 3 years, now I feel it no longer and it took that long for my memory to improve.”

Mike · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 6, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I left a review on December 28, 2019 describing side effects from atenolol chlorithaldane 50-25. The worst side effect was extreme pain in my lower left leg and foot that is a gout like symptom without redness or swelling and severely limited my ability to walk. I bought a pill cutter and reduced my dosage 25% about a week ago. My heart rate which was in the high 40s in the morning went up about 10 bpm. My bp also went up but seems to be returning to normal. My pain level dropped 50% and I can walk again. I plan on reducing the dosage another 25% next week and hope to eventually stop taking this medication.”