User Reviews for Atenolol

Also known as: Tenormin

Learn more about Atenolol.

Mitral Valve Prolapse 6 reviews 12 medications

Alcohol Withdrawal 1 reviews 17 medications

6.3
Summary of Atenolol reviews 146 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Atenolol

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I have been on atentolol for about 12yrs now. I was wondering how lipitor interacts with it."

Missozzie (taken for 10 years or more) March 27, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Can somebody explain - is it worth taking 25 mg before making any presentation or social gathering. Kindly share"

Rajnag March 3, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Works very well for physcial symptoms of anxiety. Heart palps are under control and blood pressure and heart rate are now excellent. I only need 12.5-25 mg once a day. Great med."

Jwright7784 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I have used this drug for many yrs mainly for headaches, but also slightly high BP- it works wonderfully! The only side effect is slight tiredness due to lowering pulse, but tolerable if I force myself to get up & move when feeling extra tired!"

Lighthouse luver January 24, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "This drug was awful for me, I was on it 7/8 years ago when I was 13/14. I have always had normal/low blood pressure, reading sometimes normal of 120/80 but sometimes 90/60. My cardiologist put me on 25MG of Atenolol because my heart rate would reach max super quickly during exercise. I was on it for a couple of weeks before beginning to feel symptoms. I couldn't stand up without fading out. The worst part for me is that it gave me deeply disturbing intrusive suicidal thoughts that seemed to come from nowhere. I was extremely depressed and cried a lot. When I told my cardiologist of my symptoms, he doubled my dosage and put me on 50MG. I slowly weaned myself off because I couldn't take it anymore."

Nochka January 15, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I was given this in 200mg for Mitral valve prolapse and Regurgitation. I had suffered with panic attack and anxiety for years. What a gift for me...it unbeknownst to me treats anxiety... I no longer suffer from it. Nothing short of miracle to me!"

texaschick9187 December 29, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been on Atenolol for 15 years. My dosage was reduced from 50mg to 25mg about 6 mos. ago when I experienced bradycardia--low heart rate. Noticed that I was happier and less tired. Recently started having chest pains, tightness and high BP readings right after taking 25mg Atenolol. After several hours, my BP returns to normal at 120/75. Upon awaking--it is very normal still. My doctor has prescribed another BP med (Lisinopril) but after reading about the horrible "common" side effects, I am deciding to try natural supplements instead. Even the pharmacist warned me about the new medication. I think the pharmaceutical market wants to keep us on these outrageous medications for profit and probably 50% of us don't really need it."

webgal14 (taken for 10 years or more) December 21, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I started taking atenolol (25 mg) right after Thanksgiving for heart palpitations. When I saw the Dr he said I had sinus tachycardia, but I also have severe panic disorder. I can tell a big difference. I will have a palpitation every now and then but my resting heart rate is down. I haven't noticed that my anxiety is down so I still take my .25 xanax when I need it. I also haven't noticed any side effects other than a little dizziness and a little chest tightness. Its kind of been a life saver because my palpitations would put me in a panic attack. I would recommend this to anyone that would benefit from it."

Kaynkimmom December 18, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I know it's been at least 15 yrs taking this medication. It's the ONLY one I take. It does the job no anxiety and blood pressure low. I'm 48yrs old and it does seem like I'm experience the few side affects now. I'm tired, don't sleep well, sex drive is decreased. My biggest complaint about the medication is that All OUR doctor's give us absolutely NO homeopathic alternative!!!! I read All 4 pages of comments and no one has been offered a better solution.I know drugs help but the dependency is beyond belief. A person on here posted a comment about the pharmaceutical industry depend on All of US to use these medications. With out a better solution. To me we've become drug addicts. There's gotta be a better,Natural solution to our problems."

Paffy November 25, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been taking Atenolol 50 mg since 1996. I had no idea that I had stage 3 hypertension. Atenolol, from what I have been reading today, I have had side effects mentioned here. Gout, water retention and chills and very dizzy, almost passing out. It took a month or so for it to all settle down. It's probably been two years total after I started on Atenolol the gout pain to go away, seemingly. Keep your doctor and pharmacist in the loop or your reactions good or bad. I haven't paid attention to my blood pressure other than taking my Atenolol. Oooops. I was just at my dentist, and my blood pressure was insane. 217/118. Obviously, I'm going to have to toddle over the emergency room. That rate is about where it was in the beginning. I gave the drug a high mark here. It has worked very well. I've nosed around, and there seems to be a pattern with Atenolol and men over 60 with HPB, that appears to imply that Atenolol loses effectiveness. So boys, keep track of your numbers."

Rattled Pan (taken for 10 years or more) November 22, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Excellant , keeps my blood pressure down"

Anonymous November 5, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I was diagnosed with genetic high blood pressure at 21. My dr put me on atenolol and it helped tremendously with my migraines. At first I thought it worked pretty well and hadn't had any side effects. Fast forward several years and I was always tired, suffered from anhedonia and depression, had decreased libido, and could never get a "runner's high" from working out. I'm off of it now and I feel alive again. The depression and anhedonia has lifted, I enjoy working out, and am myself again. It controlled my blood pressure well but at the expense of losing myself, it just wasn't worth it."

PittGrl October 27, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Important when taking atenolol with Diabetes Mellitus it masks hypoglycaemic warning signs "

Dr,B.,udayashankar October 17, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "I just started using this for migraine prevention this week. I've had no bad side effects. I've actually been sleeping better and I feeling less anxiety. I will post a follow-up review in a couple of months."

New Atenolol User September 26, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "since taking atenolol 50 mg twice daily for about a year i have been slightly weak, and gained a little weight which is hard to get off. i think i have other side effects but nothing extreme. my problem, i mean the one that worries me, is nightmares. i simply don't like having crazy nightmares. i think i'd rather gamble on having elevated bp. i think my quality of life will go up if i reduce the dosage, even though my longevity will probably go down. i suppose there are other medicines which do the same as atenolol, but i think maybe it's better to see if i can get along without them. of course, if my health gets worse, then i must give up and just do what the doctor tells me. i trust my doctor, i just want to trust myself too."

goody2shoz September 25, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Atenolol put me back in the game. Prior to having this prescription I could only rarely drive across bridges. My work output was low because I had too many panic attacks to even go to work more than 2 days a week. Anyway its been great!"

Atenolol has been a miracle. (taken for 10 years or more) September 19, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking 50 mg per day of atenolol, for 29 years, now. It has done two things for me. It has controlled my blood pressure dependably and it has made me a much calmer person. I have had no side effects, unless you consider being more calm a side effect. I was 33 years old, when I started atenolol and I am now 62."

Your Favorite Musician (taken for 10 years or more) August 26, 2016

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "was prescribed this for tremor (due to seizure Rx). had been on primadone, which worked well. atenolol caused dizziness, extreme vertigo, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, chest pains, tightness when trying to breathe. I fainted. MD told me to go off it. After fainting, called pharmacist. He said "get to the ER" and "why are you on a beta blocker?" I didn't know atenolol was a beta blocker. Not supposed to take those due to having asthma. In ER, my BP was 188/88. Usually is around 123/63. Took 4 hours, IV etc. to get BP down to 158/78. They released me but said to tell MD never to put me on betas again."

dix888 (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "I have been taking the generic Tenormin (atenenol) for probably 32 years now. 25 mg. I take it at night. Never had a problem, EXCEPT when I could not see my doctor and had to see someone else in the practice. He thought I should get off the drug; said there were new better things. He took me off it and I was going on vacation the next day or so. Worse vacation ever. I thought I was dying. My heart was pounding. I thought I would die up in the mountains. Got back on Atenol when I got back home. Everything was normal. If I accidently miss a day or so, I can tell the difference. I don't know about all the side effects other people have had, but it works great for me."

Thankful lady August 23, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Was ok for many months then terrible, debilitating nausea. Given nausea was a symptom of my anxiety and gastroparesis I thought my symptoms were coming back. TERRIBLE experience. Keep in mind, people, side effects can crop up at any time, not necessarily at the beginning of treatment."

Mickarickaroozie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Neurologist put me on primadone to stop tremors (caused by seizures medication). Was working great. New doctor switched me to atenolol. Chest pains, tightness in chest, hard to breathe, dizzy, fainted, feeling suicidal, could not read. Called doctor. His RN said to go off it immediately. Later, fainted. Called pharmacist. He said "get to ER stat." My BP is usually 120/63. Was 188/88 when I was first admitted to ER. Spent 4 hours, on IV, etc. ER MD told me never to do beta blockers. Had no idea this Rx was a beta blocker!"

dix888 August 17, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Atenolol What a joke, sure it lowers your blood pressure at what cost ,you lose your inner well being thank God i found about Nitric Factor, I am now on 12.5 mg of Atenolol to keep my heart rate at about 60 even after alcohol. I was on 50 mg a day and really felt i was not enjoying my life as felt so ill !!!!!!!! My B/P is now 130/70 it was 160/90. I know we are all different but to be honest for me i hated the dose i was given with such horrific side effects for me. I only hope this helps just one person in life as these Cardiologists have no idea of the true side affects."

consuelo1234 August 16, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been on Atenolol for the past 3 yrs, but previously have been on many other types of bp medications that did not work as well. The problem is now I'm experiencing the side effects that others have reported on such as the sensitivity to light, decreased sexual arousal, dizziness occasionally, swollen ankles, and gout. I have pain near my heart, and my legs, hands or feet "fall asleep" all the time. In the regards off lowering my pressure, it does the job. But the side effects are starting to get to me, and the longer I take this it may get worse. So I'm talking to my doctor to wean me off this stuff."

Lady in VA (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 14, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Great medication when used properly. Spend some time and get the correct dose (I'd wager it's never correct the first time they write a 'script). I started at 50mg and immediately had to go to 25mg because it was too much for me. Do not stop taking this medication or change your dosage without doctor's orders, though. This medication is also good for anxiety. But, it has nothing to do with hair loss or other symptoms of aging. C'mon, guys...you can't blame one very targeted, subtle drug on every malady you experience in your body."

Robert.P August 11, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Migraine Prevention: "I have found its good and reduces them but I also have to take pitxophiren and sumatriptan unfortunately I still get 3/5 per month but better than one a day ! Plus this is the safest one to use I recommend it. I have to see a neurologist and it takes 12 months"

hhhhhjhg August 3, 2016