User Reviews for Atenolol

6.3

1 review 17 medications
Summary of Atenolol reviews 7.6 181 reviews

Reviews for Atenolol

For High Blood Pressure: "At first was really nice to find a blood pressure pill with not so many side effects. Also helped with anxiety which was an added bonus. The first week or so was nice one night woke up one eye was seeing double went away by morning - never had that before. Recently chest & back was very sore & had weird breathing patterns with fast breathing at moments but not getting better. Missed a dose the next day the back & chest pain gone. If it was not for these problems I would still be taking. I would recommend this to people but with the heart failure that this medication could cause. I know people on this drug no problems for them."

Captain underpants (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2019

For Anxiety: "I’m on atenolol (50mg in the morning 25mg at night) for a heart condition(SVT). I only recently learned it was also an anxiety medication, which I also deal with, but I still experience a lot of symptoms (enough to have to talk to someone about) however I do notice higher heart rate at social situations if I miss a dose. taking for 3 years not this dosage tho"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 22, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "Have been taking this for years, basically I'll self medicate to get the right dose for the day. Some days I don't need any others I need a bit more. (Doctor is fine with me doing it also) Was put on it after a nasty experience with Vioxx. I do lots of running, cycling, swimming, and just an all around fitness junkie. Aside from a cough when my HR gets to 152, and a bit of insomnia it has worked great."

Weathertwp (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 18, 2018

Tenormin (atenolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "Been taking Atenelol for 27 years for SVT. I take 50 mg twice daily. The only side effect is cold hands and feet for me. This drug has helped me more than any I've taken. In the beginning it made me very tired and my heart rate was in the 50s, but it take a bit of time for side effects to wear off."

Trace (taken for 10 years or more) November 26, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking atenolol for 3 months. From about 3 hours after first dose, I noticed a weight gone off my chest and the tension in my neck and head. I take 25mg alongside of 5mg amlodipine . My Bp is constant at 115/62 ."

Dm (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2018

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "My cardiologist prescribed one-half of the 25 mg. atenolol pill for premature ventricular complexes, which started occurring post-ablation for SVT (supraventricular tachycardia). I find this medication to be very effective in keeping me calm, and my blood pressure nice and low. It has no negative side effects. I feel the extra benefit of this med is the calm I experience. It is so nice to not react rashly in certain situations. Yeah for atenolol!!!"

Kwissay (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I’m 38 have had headaches all my life, until I was put on atenolol now they're gone. I started out on 25mg about 2 months ago and now I’m on 50mg. It’s great for headaches and it cost me $2.99 for a month supply, but I think I need to go back to the 25mg and maybe the side effects will go away. It’s a wonderful feeling to be headache free but I can do with the side effects."

Hoss (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "On this I have found out that my feet turn almost blue if they get cold"

Scrippy (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 8, 2018

For Anxiety: "Can't tell if this was any help"

Me (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2018

For Anxiety: "Recently prescribed this med for SVT attack. Lowered my BP, heart rate and overall anxiety. Have not noticed any bad side effects and super affordable!!!"

JJJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "My doctor recommended a low dose of atenolol for high blood pressure (25mg once a day) and I was afraid to take it after reading reviews here! But I am happy to report that the drug is working great for me, bringing my blood pressure from borderline back into the normal range. I am not experiencing any side effects. I would recommend to a friend!"

512707 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "The only drug that works for my high blood pressure I take 12.5mg per day. I tried norvasc and micardis but both not working to lower my blood pressure"

Nikita (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2018

Tenormin (atenolol) for Migraine Prevention: "Had headaches for years. Got where over the counter medicines wouldn't work. Dr put me on this medicine. I was a little scare at first since I have no blood pressure problems. So far my headache are gone. I was put on 25 mg a day. Half a pill in the morning other half in the evening. I should of went to Dr sooner with this problem."

Scotch (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "I was diagnosed with migraines at 16. I have had them now for 40 years mine come in cycles I get them every day for about 3 wks maybe 2 hrs relief a day, but then I will not get them again for about 6 wks when the cycle restarts. I was put on atenolol 100 mg in 2004 to help prevent these headaches, I can't say the atenolol has reduced the amount of headaches I get, but I do believe it has helped the severity of pain. I haven't had as many trips to the hospital. What has helped me the most is axert for migraine pain."

Brownie (Canada) April 18, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Insomnia. Severe depression. Sadness crave alcohol"

Bob April 14, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "My back, hurts all the time , it's hard for me to walk.My neighbor thought I was drunk, I never drink!I would feel like I was falling, Had too much pain, I just got off these pill, I'm still in pain, I'd get up in the morning, and all of a sudden, I was so tired and sleepy, so I'd go back to sleep, I felt like I was dying. Couldn't do much being so tired all the time, and feeling like I was falling, and drunk! Don't take this pill."

Sophie April 2, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I'm 49, 6'2", 185lbs. and have been on Atenolol for about 10 years. I have a bi-cuspid aortic valve which has been stable over the years. The drug keeps my BP a consistent BP 112/70. This is the only drug I take for my condition. My cardiologist sold Atenolol to me as "heart conditioner". I am fairly active; I try to run a 5k every day (road or treadmill), lift weights several times a week and mountain bike whenever I can get it in. I do experience some common side effects such as occasional dizziness, 10lbs. extra weight (in spite of my exercise) I cannot lose and insomnia. I never liked taking Atenolol but I am starting to wonder about the long term side effects."

Jake70 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 6, 2018

For Anxiety: "Atenolol has worked great but found I had to take it on an empty stomach or else it wasn't as effective. When I had to go off of it due to the supply disruption, Metoprolol was not working the same and the anxiety was brutal, couple that with the fact my Doc was on vacation and I had to deal with a nurse who was just trying to stall me and my symptoms."

t-dizz (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 23, 2018

Tenormin (atenolol) for Anxiety: "I take these specifically for anxiety and it works like a dream for me. I wanted to go on something that was not addictive and I didn’t want anything that made me feel like a zombie. I wish more doctors would use medications like this as a first line treatment as it doesn’t take 4-6 weeks to get to a therapeutic level like antidepressants and there is not a risk of dependence like there is with benzodiazepines."

Momma dog18 February 14, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I'm 23. One fine day I checked my bp and it was 146/104. No symptoms. After several readings throughout the day the average reading was the same. My mother was already on 50 mg per day of atenolol. She was worried and so I has tablet of 50 mg just in case heart attack don't show up. With no knowledge of abruptly stopping it, I skipped the next dose. And wow the days after that were like a ride to hell. It was like having a heart attack constantly for days. Although I checked with a doctor immediately and he put me on a lower dose but getting off that 1 dose of 50 mg was like surviving death every moment. Guys, seriously I don't know if this medicine works or not as I've been taking it for less than a week now. But one thing for sure, don't leave this medicine abruptly, once you are into the game, you've to play with rules. Damn it."

Anonymous February 9, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "It worked great for my high BP but the diarrhea was horrible. I couldn't leave the house. The minute I quit taking it the diarrhea stopped but blood pressure shot up gain."

Megan4414 January 30, 2018

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I have had inappropriate sinus tachycardia for almost 4 years and have been on atenolol for almost 2 years! I don’t know how I survived before without my atenolol pill! My heart rate used to get up to 180-190 everyday and one time it lasted 6 hours and the doctors gave me atenolol and it worked great and has worked ever since! I do sometimes get dizzy if my blood pressure gets too low but I just eat salt if it does. I rate this medicine an 9/10 because it keeps my heart rate very normal, around 65-79 now but also gives me the low blood pressure feeling."

Lanacreations (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 31, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "I'm a 46 year old woman. 130 pounds and 5.5. I exercise regularly. No other health issues. I was put on 25 mg Atenolol 8 years ago. Before then, I tried multiple BP medications, which all made me feel bad. Atenolol has been the answer for me! The only side effect is that I also got rid off my crippling migraines! Vomiting, calling sick. No more!!! My BP is perfect and I have no more migraines. Just occasional regular headaches like a normal person. It makes me drowsy so I take it at bedtime. "

Lisen December 28, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "I was born with high blood pressure and a slight arrhythmia. I've been taking atenolol since I was a kid, as soon as it was medically safe for a kid to be on a beta blocker, so I've been on it for about twenty years now. It works great for me. Might make me a bit drowsy, but I take it at bedtime for that reason. Docs tried to take me off of it once because they worried about an interaction with albuterol for my asthma. Worst mistake of my life and I made them put me back on it. For those worried about the above interaction between atenolol and albuterol, I did some research using scholarly articles and medical journals. Atenolol is a selective beta inhibitor and doesn't affect the same betas that albuterol increases. They're okay together."

Sha00 December 9, 2017

For Migraine Prevention: "I was put on atenolol, 50 mg daily, 27 years ago. Prior to that I also suffered debilitating migraines almost daily for many years. The atenolol controlled the BP and, in a complete surprise, eliminated the migraines. In the following years, my doctor switched me to a newer BP medicine and the migraines returned. When I went back to atenolol the migraines went away. Atenolol has been one of the very best things ever to happen to me in terms of health."

JChicago November 5, 2017