User Reviews for Atenolol to treat Anxiety

Also known as: Tenormin

Atenolol has an average rating of 7.7 out of 10 from a total of 43 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety. 79% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 16% reported a negative effect.

Atenolol Rating Summary

7.7/10 average rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Atenolol

NA March 1, 2021

“I've had severe anxiety since I was a child, I've always worried about something usually health related. In my late teens I began to have panic attacks, seen the doctors and they all gave stuff like prozac, zoloft, and hydroxyzine. But last year I was having bad anxiety that lasted for weeks at a time and it was all panic attacks. I was getting heart rates in the 150s at a minimum and 180 at the max in the ER bed, they tried the hydroxyzine and Benadryl to calm me down and knock me out, it didn't really work. Then I got a different ER dr who gave me Atenolol 25MG, and let me tell you, this is the ONLY thing that worked. It stops panic attacks right in its tracks after 30 mins or so. No shakiness, no high heart rate, no sweating. Even in stressful situations which you would normally panic you stay calm, it doesn't act up. I take half a pill as needed, and when I need it, it always worked and has kept me out of the ER for anxiety. If your dr gives you this I highly recommend you try it.”

Gavilan · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 23, 2020

“I don’t normally have high BP or anxiety. I was prescribed atenolol 25 mg daily years ago in the midst of a divorce, by a concerned obgyn who was worried about my very high BP and stress/anxiety. I’m so glad he recommended this over anti-anxiety meds! It really helped me sleep and got me through that tough time. I appreciate its subtle calming affect that does not alter my mood. I began taking it again 6 weeks ago due to stress, and again I’m so impressed with how subtle it is and how “normal” I feel. I’m now cutting the dose down to 12.5 mg because it was making me a little too drowsy. I hope that’s a good sign that my anxiety is coming back down. Atenolol is a great option to try before heading to the heavier anti-anxiety arsenal, I think.”

Sergeant Tubbs June 18, 2019

“I've suffered situational anxiety for 4 years. Every time I had to speak in a group I'd have a panic attack. My heart would pound in my chest like a jackhammer and my voice would shake. It was so embarrassing and I feared it would hurt my career. I tried behavioral therapy and benzos to manage my anxiety. Nothing really worked until I tried Atenolol. It is an absolute Godsend. It steadied my heart rate and enabled me to not only speak in groups but also deliver presentations in front of a bunch of people. I highly recommend Atenolol for people suffering situational anxiety. I had one bad experience in public speaking my brain had learned to flood my body with adrenal any time I had to speak in public. The fight-or-flight response in my body created a vicious cycle where I would fear being afraid. I recommend behavioral therapy in conjunction with taking Atenolol. Therapy can help you understand the root mental/emotional cause of your anxiety.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 11, 2021

“I needed to share my experience with this drug. If I could go back in time, I WOULD HAVE NEVER TAKEN THIS! It worked well for my anxiety but the side effects I experienced a month later of taking this at a 12.5-25 mg dosage was awful. I had extreme shortness of breath, chest pains, tingling in my arms (especially my left arm) and feeling lethargic. I stopped taking this medication right when these side effects started as I thought I was having a heart attack and it has been the worst medication to come off of. I stopped taking this a WEEK AGO and I have had unbearable anxiety, heart palpitations all day and night, lethargy, insomnia etc. I see my doctor this week to get an EKG and do other testing after taking this drug. I know everyone's experience is different but this drug for me was a true nightmare. Side effects on any medication can start at anytime not just right away. What I had to go through this last week withdrawing from the drug, I wouldn't wish on anyone”

lizzzz March 7, 2012

Tenormin (atenolol): “This pill slows my heart down and relaxes me. I actually feel calm. I also take 0.5 Xanax with this and Wellbutrin 200mg. I have agoraphobia and these pills together help me function NORMALLY. YES CAN YOU BELIEVE IT **NORMALLY**. I never thought normal would ever be in my vocab.”

MayaJ April 16, 2016

“I was actually prescribed Atenoprol for my high blood pressure but a week after starting, I was sitting in a board room about to present and noticed that I was surprisingly calm. For years I had suffered with panic attacks and severe anxiety when making presentations which I have to do frequently at work...So horribly embarrassing and uncontrollable. My bp is down too and do far no side effects.”

Katka · Taken for less than 1 month September 13, 2020

“It’s only been two days but my BP is lower than it’s been all year. I have rebound insomnia From Klonopin withdrawal- not my choice. Pharmacy refused to refill it after 23 years. I went through a nightmare withdrawal. Haven’t slept more than two hours a night in six months. Then all the things I was taking it for came right back. Anxiety, spasms, constant twitching etc. I have fibromyalgia, arthritis, severe spinal stenosis. Sleep was always poor - woke constantly in a panic. The last two nights I’ve slept almost six hours without waking. So far no side effects. This med is a God send. Plus it was only $3.24 for a 90 day supply.”

Momma dog18 February 14, 2018

Tenormin (atenolol): “I take these specifically for anxiety and it works like a dream for me. I wanted to go on something that was not addictive and I didn’t want anything that made me feel like a zombie. I wish more doctors would use medications like this as a first line treatment as it doesn’t take 4-6 weeks to get to a therapeutic level like antidepressants and there is not a risk of dependence like there is with benzodiazepines.”

Ch0000002 January 4, 2013

“I was prescribed atenolol for an irregular heartbeat and it worked like a charm. I have not had an episode since I started it. I also noticed a pronounced calming effect as well, which I wasn't expecting but has been welcome. The only side effect I notice is an increase in urinary urgency.”

SlamDancer · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 26, 2013

“I was originally prescribed atenolol for mitral valve prolapse but it does an excellent job of helping me manage physical anxiety symptoms as well. Shakes, sweats, hot flashes, palpitations are all greatly reduced. I also have glaucoma and have noticed a slight decrease in my Intraocular Pressure while taking atenolol. Overall, a very valuable medicine with many benefits.”

Notbroken October 15, 2015

“This is the best drug ever. I was prescribed this because I had rapid and forceful heartbeating due to panic and anxiety. Then I eliminated my panic attacks, while also lowering my blood pressure AND eliminating my daily headaches. This drug is amazing 50mg”

Thankful lady August 23, 2016

“I have been taking the generic Tenormin (atenenol) for probably 32 years now. 25 mg. I take it at night. Never had a problem, EXCEPT when I could not see my doctor and had to see someone else in the practice. He thought I should get off the drug; said there were new better things. He took me off it and I was going on vacation the next day or so. Worse vacation ever. I thought I was dying. My heart was pounding. I thought I would die up in the mountains. Got back on Atenol when I got back home. Everything was normal. If I accidently miss a day or so, I can tell the difference. I don't know about all the side effects other people have had, but it works great for me.”

Meyd · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 30, 2020

“Atenolol worked fantastic for my performance anxiety. I had a big fear of public speaking, and whenever I needed to do a work presentation, my heart would beat so fast that I would get short of breath and wouldn't be able to speak properly, with shaky voice etc. My GP prescribed me 50mg atenolol to take 1 hour before, and it works great, by removing the rapid heart beat. Propranolol appears to be the most common prescribed medication for this issue, however I found Atenolol does the job perfectly.”

Drogba August 27, 2020

“For those of you taking benzos and still have social anxiety I highly recommend that you try out this drug atenolol it's a wonder drug, yes benzos are effective but they kinda numbs your ability to feel, so I did my homework and went for the atenolol, feeling superb.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 21, 2020

“Don't normally respond to these reviews, but feel need to share my experience from using atenolol. Not sure how it makes me feel, but my exercise life is the greatest. For years I was unable to run or jog for long distance for short of breath. Maybe a 1/2 to 1 mile max, and I'm totally exhausted. Now I jog/run 2 3/4 miles (bout 11 laps), 4 times a week with energy to spare. Also, I suffered with anxiety going for doctors visits, pulse and heart rate was off the roof, especially when I was up for my yearly DOT certification physical. So again, not quite sure how this med works but it is truly God sent.”

Atenolol has been a miracle. · Taken for 10 years or more September 19, 2016

“Atenolol put me back in the game. Prior to having this prescription I could only rarely drive across bridges. My work output was low because I had too many panic attacks to even go to work more than 2 days a week. Anyway its been great!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 23, 2014

“Very helpful for performance anxiety when taken together with 0.5mg Xanax, no more racing heart, palpitation, sweating hands, running out of the room feeling when doing presentation in front group of people, better than propanolol since this does not cause wheezing on me.”

texaschick9187 December 29, 2016

“I was given this in 200mg for Mitral valve prolapse and Regurgitation. I had suffered with panic attack and anxiety for years. What a gift for me...it unbeknownst to me treats anxiety... I no longer suffer from it. Nothing short of miracle to me!”

Kaynkimmom December 18, 2016

“I started taking atenolol (25 mg) right after Thanksgiving for heart palpitations. When I saw the Dr he said I had sinus tachycardia, but I also have severe panic disorder. I can tell a big difference. I will have a palpitation every now and then but my resting heart rate is down. I haven't noticed that my anxiety is down so I still take my .25 xanax when I need it. I also haven't noticed any side effects other than a little dizziness and a little chest tightness. Its kind of been a life saver because my palpitations would put me in a panic attack. I would recommend this to anyone that would benefit from it.”

Smalm · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 19, 2017

“I am a hypochondriac, I fear that I am dying of something all the time. I got on atenolol for my anxiety, I take it sometimes twice daily. I find that it lowers my heart rate which calms me down since I am not worrying what I could possibly have. I like it a lot. It is a nice small pill that I take and I have had a heart rate in the 50s from it... But it usually is more subtle and does not move the number of beats per minute that much. It makes me not worry about my pulse.”

RJ2121 · Taken for 10 years or more March 19, 2016

“This is an awesome medication for panic attacks with palpitations...it simply eliminates them very safe and effective...ask your doctor about this wonder drug....only 4 bucks a month at Target who by the way run an awesome Pharmacy”

missy 1234 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 31, 2013

“Awful drug so dizzy all the time cant walk or shower. Has made my anxiety and panic attacks worse. Agoraphobia is coming back now . Sick gut all the time. Put on it in er for afib. Wish to god id never been put on this evil drug. Xanax no longer work on these either. Beware.”

Sam · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 9, 2019

“So this has worked pretty well for me! I started on 25 mg once a day for high blood pressure, high heart rate and anxiety. So far it’s been doing it’s job, my heart doesn’t feel like it’s going to burst out of my chest and I am not 24/7 anxious anymore. While I’m taking it I don’t really realize the difference, I just feel a little calmer though when I forget a dose that’s when I freak out a little bit and realize it. I’ve only really had dizziness as a side effect, sometimes I’ll also be more tired then usual though it’s nothing dramatic. Just be cautious if you have low blood sugar, my doc said I’d be fine as long as I keep an eye on myself though it really sneaks up on you while you’re taking atenolol. I don’t realize that my blood sugar is getting too low sometimes cause I don’t get as shaky or anxious since I’m on this so that’s something to watch out for. Other then that it’s been good to me though!! It’s really affordable as well!!”

Soothsayer June 14, 2010

“I have been taking Atenolol (50mg) for a month or so now. There was an immediate drop in blood pressure and my anxiety has lessened so that I need my Xanax much less often. One thing I have noticed is that I wake up a few times a night with pain in whatever shoulder I have been sleeping on. It feels like joint pain and lasts for about an hour after awakening. Otherwise it does not effect my sleep. Another side effect is that, an hour after taking it, I yawn and my eyes water. Also, the first two weeks I took it I had diarrhea when previous to that I was constipated, but that has subsided.”

FlightlessBird · Taken for 10 years or more August 17, 2017

“Let me start off by saying that I've done my research on Atenolol--it doesn't have the greatest track record, and there's a lot of evidence coming out saying that it doesn't actually protect your heart or arteries from damage. But Atenolol is the only thing that has worked to control my heart. I used to have high BP (160/100) and tachycardia at times, but as soon as I started taking Atenolol, it was like I was normal again. And I can definitely tell a difference when I stop taking it. I get a little shortness of breath very infrequently and my pulse is sometimes under 60bpm, but it's the one drug that has worked for years. I wish I could find something better/more effective, but I haven't yet. Tried Losartan, Vasartan, and a few others.”