User Reviews for Atenolol

Also known as: Tenormin

Learn more about Atenolol.

Atenolol Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Atenolol to treat Anxiety

"This drug helped eliminate my panic attacks and also keeps me calm throughout the day. Haven't had tachycardia a while. Currently taking 12.5. I definitely recommend atenolol for anxiety."

JessK June 18, 2016

"I was actually prescribed Atenoprol for my high blood pressure but a week after starting, I was sitting in a board room about to present and noticed that I was surprisingly calm. For years I had suffered with panic attacks and severe anxiety when making presentations which I have to do frequently at work...So horribly embarrassing and uncontrollable. My bp is down too and do far no side effects."

MayaJ April 16, 2016

"It help with the palpitations cause by anxiety but the side effects are horrible .they includes being dizzy,upset stomach,tired and pain. Really trying to get off soon."

Candy shorty March 29, 2016

"This is an awesome medication for panic attacks with palpitations...it simply eliminates them very safe and effective...ask your doctor about this wonder drug....only 4 bucks a month at Target who by the way run an awesome Pharmacy"

RJ2121 (taken for 10 years or more) March 19, 2016

"I am diagnosed with PTSD - two usual traits that come with PTSD are depression and anxiety. Due to the anti depressant I'm taking (zoloft 50mg) , I experienced a slight but uncomfortable raise in blood pressure which contributed to my anxiety. I saw my general doctor and qualified for atenolol 25mg. It has worked miraculously with no side effects. What I like about atenolol is that it is not digested by the same liver enzymes which digest zoloft - so there is no risk of atenolol levels competing with zoloft for bonding sites . I feel a lot calmer , and don't experience as much agitation and irritability as I used to. Performers, over coming stage fright is part of the challenge. stop cheating ."

epikblue22 (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2015

"This is the best drug ever. I was prescribed this because I had rapid and forceful heartbeating due to panic and anxiety. Then I eliminated my panic attacks, while also lowering my blood pressure AND eliminating my daily headaches. This drug is amazing 50mg"

Notbroken October 15, 2015

"I use Atenolol for my hyper thyroid tremors rapid heart and it works wonders. Its hard to find a pill that works for so many things"

Ayo78 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 12, 2015

"Very helpful for performance anxiety when taken together with 0.5mg Xanax, no more racing heart, palpitation, sweating hands, running out of the room feeling when doing presentation in front group of people, better than propanolol since this does not cause wheezing on me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2014

"Awful drug so dizzy all the time cant walk or shower. Has made my anxiety and panic attacks worse. Agoraphobia is coming back now . Sick gut all the time. Put on it in er for afib. Wish to god id never been put on this evil drug. Xanax no longer work on these either. Beware."

missy 1234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 31, 2013

"I was originally prescribed atenolol for mitral valve prolapse but it does an excellent job of helping me manage physical anxiety symptoms as well. Shakes, sweats, hot flashes, palpitations are all greatly reduced. I also have glaucoma and have noticed a slight decrease in my Intraocular Pressure while taking atenolol. Overall, a very valuable medicine with many benefits."

SlamDancer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 26, 2013

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Work great for anxiety and stage fright. No side effects."

valleron2009 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2013

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was prescribed atenolol for an irregular heartbeat and it worked like a charm. I have not had an episode since I started it. I also noticed a pronounced calming effect as well, which I wasn't expecting but has been welcome. The only side effect I notice is an increase in urinary urgency."

Ch0000002 January 4, 2013

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Tenormin (atenolol): "I was prescribed this medicine for irregular heartbeat, but also noticed that it greatly affects my anxiety too. I would highly recommend it."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 30, 2012

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Tenormin (atenolol): "This pill slows my heart down and relaxes me. I actually feel calm. I also take 0.5 Xanax with this and Wellbutrin 200mg. I have agoraphobia and these pills together help me function NORMALLY. YES CAN YOU BELIEVE IT **NORMALLY**. I never thought normal would ever be in my vocab."

lizzzz March 7, 2012

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Did the trick for a racing heart due to social anxiety. Watch for side effects if you take it daily. My pulse slowed too much so had to switch to propranolol but otherwise helped me a lot."

Anonymous June 6, 2011

"I have been taking Atenolol (50mg) for a month or so now. There was an immediate drop in blood pressure and my anxiety has lessened so that I need my Xanax much less often. One thing I have noticed is that I wake up a few times a night with pain in whatever shoulder I have been sleeping on. It feels like joint pain and lasts for about an hour after awakening. Otherwise it does not effect my sleep. Another side effect is that, an hour after taking it, I yawn and my eyes water. Also, the first two weeks I took it I had diarrhea when previous to that I was constipated, but that has subsided."

Soothsayer June 14, 2010

Tenormin (atenolol): "This was prescribed for hypertension, and so far as I can tell I have had no problems with it. I cannot say whether it helps with anxiety, although my doctor said to take one when I felt as though my heart was racing. It seemed to help, but I do not know whether it was because of the Tenormin or the placebo effect."

jaxony June 21, 2009

"Very good for stage fright, or fear of flying because it does not impair functioning, many people don't "notice" it at all, but are noticeably calmer."

Anonymous June 14, 2008

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate