User Reviews for Atenolol

Also known as: Tenormin

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Atenolol.

Atenolol Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 176 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Atenolol to treat Anxiety

"I am a hypochondriac, I fear that I am dying of something all the time. I got on atenolol for my anxiety, I take it sometimes twice daily. I find that it lowers my heart rate which calms me down since I am not worrying what I could possibly have. I like it a lot. It is a nice small pill that I take and I have had a heart rate in the 50s from it... But it usually is more subtle and does not move the number of beats per minute that much. It makes me not worry about my pulse."

Smalm (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Let me start off by saying that I've done my research on Atenolol--it doesn't have the greatest track record, and there's a lot of evidence coming out saying that it doesn't actually protect your heart or arteries from damage. But Atenolol is the only thing that has worked to control my heart. I used to have high BP (160/100) and tachycardia at times, but as soon as I started taking Atenolol, it was like I was normal again. And I can definitely tell a difference when I stop taking it. I get a little shortness of breath very infrequently and my pulse is sometimes under 60bpm, but it's the one drug that has worked for years. I wish I could find something better/more effective, but I haven't yet. Tried Losartan, Vasartan, and a few others."

FlightlessBird (taken for 10 years or more) August 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Can somebody explain - is it worth taking 25 mg before making any presentation or social gathering. Kindly share"

Rajnag March 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works very well for physcial symptoms of anxiety. Heart palps are under control and blood pressure and heart rate are now excellent. I only need 12.5-25 mg once a day. Great med."

Jwright7784 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given this in 200mg for Mitral valve prolapse and Regurgitation. I had suffered with panic attack and anxiety for years. What a gift for me...it unbeknownst to me treats anxiety... I no longer suffer from it. Nothing short of miracle to me!"

texaschick9187 December 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking atenolol (25 mg) right after Thanksgiving for heart palpitations. When I saw the Dr he said I had sinus tachycardia, but I also have severe panic disorder. I can tell a big difference. I will have a palpitation every now and then but my resting heart rate is down. I haven't noticed that my anxiety is down so I still take my .25 xanax when I need it. I also haven't noticed any side effects other than a little dizziness and a little chest tightness. Its kind of been a life saver because my palpitations would put me in a panic attack. I would recommend this to anyone that would benefit from it."

Kaynkimmom December 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Atenolol put me back in the game. Prior to having this prescription I could only rarely drive across bridges. My work output was low because I had too many panic attacks to even go to work more than 2 days a week. Anyway its been great!"

Atenolol has been a miracle. (taken for 10 years or more) September 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"was prescribed this for tremor (due to seizure Rx). had been on primadone, which worked well. atenolol caused dizziness, extreme vertigo, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, chest pains, tightness when trying to breathe. I fainted. MD told me to go off it. After fainting, called pharmacist. He said "get to the ER" and "why are you on a beta blocker?" I didn't know atenolol was a beta blocker. Not supposed to take those due to having asthma. In ER, my BP was 188/88. Usually is around 123/63. Took 4 hours, IV etc. to get BP down to 158/78. They released me but said to tell MD never to put me on betas again."

dix888 (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking the generic Tenormin (atenenol) for probably 32 years now. 25 mg. I take it at night. Never had a problem, EXCEPT when I could not see my doctor and had to see someone else in the practice. He thought I should get off the drug; said there were new better things. He took me off it and I was going on vacation the next day or so. Worse vacation ever. I thought I was dying. My heart was pounding. I thought I would die up in the mountains. Got back on Atenol when I got back home. Everything was normal. If I accidently miss a day or so, I can tell the difference. I don't know about all the side effects other people have had, but it works great for me."

Thankful lady August 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was ok for many months then terrible, debilitating nausea. Given nausea was a symptom of my anxiety and gastroparesis I thought my symptoms were coming back. TERRIBLE experience. Keep in mind, people, side effects can crop up at any time, not necessarily at the beginning of treatment."

Mickarickaroozie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 17, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug helped eliminate my panic attacks and also keeps me calm throughout the day. Haven't had tachycardia a while. Currently taking 12.5. I definitely recommend atenolol for anxiety."

JessK June 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was actually prescribed Atenoprol for my high blood pressure but a week after starting, I was sitting in a board room about to present and noticed that I was surprisingly calm. For years I had suffered with panic attacks and severe anxiety when making presentations which I have to do frequently at work...So horribly embarrassing and uncontrollable. My bp is down too and do far no side effects."

MayaJ April 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It help with the palpitations cause by anxiety but the side effects are horrible .they includes being dizzy,upset stomach,tired and pain. Really trying to get off soon."

Candy shorty March 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is an awesome medication for panic attacks with palpitations...it simply eliminates them very safe and effective...ask your doctor about this wonder drug....only 4 bucks a month at Target who by the way run an awesome Pharmacy"

RJ2121 (taken for 10 years or more) March 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am diagnosed with PTSD - two usual traits that come with PTSD are depression and anxiety. Due to the anti depressant I'm taking (zoloft 50mg) , I experienced a slight but uncomfortable raise in blood pressure which contributed to my anxiety. I saw my general doctor and qualified for atenolol 25mg. It has worked miraculously with no side effects. What I like about atenolol is that it is not digested by the same liver enzymes which digest zoloft - so there is no risk of atenolol levels competing with zoloft for bonding sites . I feel a lot calmer , and don't experience as much agitation and irritability as I used to. Performers, over coming stage fright is part of the challenge. stop cheating ."

epikblue22 (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is the best drug ever. I was prescribed this because I had rapid and forceful heartbeating due to panic and anxiety. Then I eliminated my panic attacks, while also lowering my blood pressure AND eliminating my daily headaches. This drug is amazing 50mg"

Notbroken October 15, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I use Atenolol for my hyper thyroid tremors rapid heart and it works wonders. Its hard to find a pill that works for so many things"

Ayo78 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 12, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Very helpful for performance anxiety when taken together with 0.5mg Xanax, no more racing heart, palpitation, sweating hands, running out of the room feeling when doing presentation in front group of people, better than propanolol since this does not cause wheezing on me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2014

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Awful drug so dizzy all the time cant walk or shower. Has made my anxiety and panic attacks worse. Agoraphobia is coming back now . Sick gut all the time. Put on it in er for afib. Wish to god id never been put on this evil drug. Xanax no longer work on these either. Beware."

missy 1234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 31, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was originally prescribed atenolol for mitral valve prolapse but it does an excellent job of helping me manage physical anxiety symptoms as well. Shakes, sweats, hot flashes, palpitations are all greatly reduced. I also have glaucoma and have noticed a slight decrease in my Intraocular Pressure while taking atenolol. Overall, a very valuable medicine with many benefits."

SlamDancer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 26, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Work great for anxiety and stage fright. No side effects."

valleron2009 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed atenolol for an irregular heartbeat and it worked like a charm. I have not had an episode since I started it. I also noticed a pronounced calming effect as well, which I wasn't expecting but has been welcome. The only side effect I notice is an increase in urinary urgency."

Ch0000002 January 4, 2013

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tenormin (atenolol): "I was prescribed this medicine for irregular heartbeat, but also noticed that it greatly affects my anxiety too. I would highly recommend it."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 30, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tenormin (atenolol): "This pill slows my heart down and relaxes me. I actually feel calm. I also take 0.5 Xanax with this and Wellbutrin 200mg. I have agoraphobia and these pills together help me function NORMALLY. YES CAN YOU BELIEVE IT **NORMALLY**. I never thought normal would ever be in my vocab."

lizzzz March 7, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Did the trick for a racing heart due to social anxiety. Watch for side effects if you take it daily. My pulse slowed too much so had to switch to propranolol but otherwise helped me a lot."

Anonymous June 6, 2011