User Reviews for Metoprolol

Also known as: Kapspargo Sprinkle, Lopressor, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Toprol-XL

Migraine Prevention

Heart Attack

Atrial Fibrillation

Summary of Metoprolol reviews 6.6 364 reviews

Reviews for Metoprolol

For High Blood Pressure: "Dr prescribed this drug several years ago. I took it every morning. I kept complaining about diarrhea during this time. So I ran out and VA was slow to refill. During this 3 weeks I realized I had NO diarrhea. I asked Dr and was told this was not a side effect of Metoprol!! I went online and indeed it is. I quit taking it! it has been 4 months now and no diarrhea. I told Dr I would rather die of stroke than live with diarrhea every 2 or 3 days for the rest of my life. Went to cardiologist and have new BP med. Hope this works better than Metropol"

Bird (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 3, 2019

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "I was given metropolol in the hospital in December 2018 after valve surgery. 25 mg morning and night. I was already on Micardis for high blood pressure. I guess that is standard with valve surgery. Well here it is March and I have tremendous joint pain all over. My toes are blue and I am cold all the time. Have a call into my cardio as I want to get off of this med and hope this pain goes away."

Dove (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "My husband has always been happy, driven and energetic. He had bypass surgery and was prescribed metoprolol. He's recovered to a point but is depressed, lacks drive and is tired all the time. He's also developed a cough that won't go away. After reading these comments,I'm going to get him off of this terrible med."

Concerned (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 19, 2019

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "I had to stop taking metoprolol as it gave me an irregular heartbeat. Rapid pulse and did not lower my blood pressure. I had to stop taking it."

OJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2019

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "I've been on metroprolol for 3 months at a dose of 100 mg in the morning and 100 mg at night. I've had by-pass surgery and a valve replaced. This keeps my heart rate low but my blood pressure is up with metoprolol, as high as 170/80. I take in along with furosemide (40mg)."

Mars12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2019

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol) for Heart Attack: "I was put on metoprolol in 2010 25mg twice a day. I have just slowly tapered myself off. I wanna tell you I haven't felt this good in 9 years. I wished I had never taken it seriously"

Ken (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 19, 2019

For Migraine Prevention: "I have just started metoprolol for migraines and it seems to be working. I split a 25 mg into morning and evening. I have had trouble sleeping and am considering taking only in morning. The dosage is so low my blood pressure is relatively unaffected."

Lisev (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2019

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I was put on this to control pulse rate after cardiac ablation. Medication works well in controlling pulse rate. However, after 5 months of taking it the left side of my face feels swollen. I have pressure in my nose. Parts of my right leg and right feel numb. Dr. says it is not the meds. I am good health , watch my diet and exercise almost everyday."

Moonshine (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: "Does anybody get sleepy after eating?"

Kittyjo (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 11, 2019

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Have A-fib. 12.5 mg of metoprolol generally controlled the A-fib, with breakthrough episodes about twice a month that an additional 12.5 mg would control. However, it created terrible diarrhea. My doctor insisted it could not be the metoprolol. So, after much back-and-forth, I changed doctors. The new doctor put me on 50 mg of atenolol twice daily. No side effects, and so far after about 8months has been 100% effective in controlling the A-fib. A far better choice for me."

Puddy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 13, 2018

For Premature Ventricular Depolarizations: "It was 3 years ago I suddenly realized I was grieving a terrible loss...loss that grieved me very terribly. At 57 at that time I was very healthy, exercising regularly and eating well and taking my good health for granted, needless to say because of the stress I was under my blood pressure was very way up which was very unusual and I was suffering from PVCs. I was prescribed 10 mg lisinipril and 25 mg Metroprol. As I continued to grieve, exercise and eat well, and take the medication as prescribed my blood pressure became normal and PVC disappeared. I went off Lisinopril a year later...I’m 61 now and I’m experiencing some different stress and PVC back with blood pressure normal. I’m bit scared. I do have appt to see my nurse practioner next week."

Jamie (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 29, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "It will slow heart rate down and lower blood pressure"

oldman (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 27, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "I am a 66 yr old female. I've been taking Metoprolol Tartrate for 2 years to control high blood pressure . My initial dose was 25 mg once daily. Didn't lower BP. The doctor doubled it and when that didn't do enough, he changed it to Metoprolol Succinate at 50 mg twice a day. After 2 weeks of taking this form of Metoprolol, I began getting hallucinations. I started seeing my bed's blankets moving up and down as if the bed was breathing. I watched the walls start moving as they, too, were breathing. The only thing different in my life was the change in medication. I immediately stopped taking it and went back to using the Tartrate form, which I still had. I told my primary physician about my experience and she laughed it off."

Marilii November 27, 2018

For Left Ventricular Dysfunction: "Only took METOPROLOL by Zydus (Indian manufacturer) for 4 days and was so nauseated all day. I could barely eat, and started dry heaving . It was prescribed because I've been having shortness of breath and heart palpitations lately. Spent 2 days in a local hospital and tests determined I have a cardiac arrythmia issue in my left upper heart chamber. This med did absolutely nothing to curtail my symptoms, and the nausea all day had me miserable. I am stopping the med. I am also concerned about quality control of pharmaceuticals. Just not worth the risks and side effects."

Samaya (taken for less than 1 month) November 5, 2018

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "Oh man where do I begin. I am female 52 years and I take 75 mg Metoprolol a day, been on them for 5 years. It does a very good job keeping my heartbeat to 50s and 60s when resting but it goes up to high when I get up in the morning take a shower. I was 165 pounds when I started taking the pills and now I am 216 pounds. It has terrible side effects Like, very fatigued Can’t think clearly Short of breath My libido has disappeared completely Chest tightness Constipation Blurry vision I saw my cardiologist three weeks ago and he is talking about doing a maze procedure And I am at a point where I do anything to get off of the Metoprolol."

Seminole (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 31, 2018

For Premature Ventricular Depolarizations: "I'm 43. I've had PVCs on and off since I was in 9th grade. I played basketball in college and that's when they really started to be more consistent. was prescribed Atenolol and it helped for about 6 hours. When it wore off they were bad. Dr. prescribed metoprolol succinate as it is an extended release beta blocker. This medication works very well for me. people claim beta blockers don't stop the PVC themselves rather the beta blockers simply numb the sensation For me this is not the case. It actually stops them. I take 25mg. If I have a bad day I take an extra half. Only side effect is during intense exercise my max HR is 155 ish instead of 170 Not a huge deal as I can still push myself pretty hard."

Pvc guy (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "does not work and it makes me feel sick after four months of use."

swergin (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2018

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "Terrible and outright dangerous. This is a generic that is made by different pharma companies using whatever fillers and coating they get at the lowest possible price from goodness knows where; quality varies from one to the other, and from refill to refill; caused the opposite effects - NOT lowering BP - rather increasing it sky high! My pharmacist told me that many patients complain about it and gave me the brand (Toprol) to try - very different results!! Only complaint now is tiredness, bit wobbly, and some pressure and shortness of breath after taking it; I take 25 mg. And break it in half, and take each half 6-7 hours apart, which was my pharmacists recommendation, and it’s better. Stay away from the generic, consult your pharmacist, and be well!"

EJF (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2018

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "After about one week, the side effects including back ache were severe. It took about three weeks to determine it was the Drug. The complications ceased immediately upon being taken off the drug. Do not quit without dr orders"

Oiler (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2018

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "Worked well to control my blood pressure but couldn’t tolerate the side effects. Caused constant headache as well as a pressure feeling in my head and made me feel somewhat swollen all over (even though I wasn’t)"

Jane (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2018

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "I decided to try this medicine again for high blood pressure. It would make my blood bp okay but drop my pulse in 40s. Once again tried 1 pill 25mg started feeling like rubbish and my blood pressure still 150/100, and my pulse 48"

Glo (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Took 25 mg for 2 months was working great then stopped working. Now I am on 50 mg and my BP is high than before 150/90 with a pulse of 60 to 70, At times my BP in 160 to 170/ 100 how can the medicine increase you BP when it's suppose to lower it."

anxious59 August 9, 2018

For Premature Ventricular Depolarizations: "I started experiencing PVC's in 2007 during a really bad bout of depression and panic attacks. The panic attacks were daily and this lasted about 12 weeks until my doctor put me on an antidepressant. Anyways, once I started getting them, they stuck around and I still have them now 11 years later. I take metoprolol 100 mg 3x a day along with Amlodipine 5 mg 1x a day. Sometimes I take it 2x's a day if my PVC's act up. The PVC's are really scary but this combination of medicine does help them. When I first started getting them, I had to wear a Holter monitor for 24 hours and I also had an echocardiogram of my heart. My doctor told me these things are benign. They don't feel benign though when it feels like my heart's gonna stop and I'm gonna drop dead. I gave this medicine a 7 out of 10 because while it does work, I need the combination of these 2 medications to really notice a difference. I'd just like to add that I am a 38-year-old female. I've been on this medication since I was 27."

Blue (taken for 10 years or more) July 25, 2018

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I was diagnosed with moderate/severe obstructive sleep apnea and supraventricular "events" 4 months ago. I was put on a resmed pap machine and metoprolol succinate er 25 mg. I have gained 10 pounds, I feel: no energy, chest heavy, heart pumping weak, breathing decreased/light, affect flat, tired, constipated, I can't think. My events are rare now but I don't know if my events were due to the sleep apnea and if the pap helped decrease them because I started both med and pap at same time. I miss being extroverted, energetic and outgoing. I don't know if there is any other treatment available. Ablation? I don't like this med."

Freckles (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2018

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "Long term hypertensive and one old MI. IT WORKS."

liam (taken for 10 years or more) July 4, 2018