User Reviews for Metoprolol

Also known as: Lopressor, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Toprol-XL

Learn more about Metoprolol.

Migraine Prevention 10 reviews 29 medications

Atrial Fibrillation 51 reviews 39 medications

Heart Attack 9 reviews 121 medications

Summary of Metoprolol reviews 293 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Metoprolol

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "Have very frequent Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs), heart testing said my heart is fine. Put me on metoprolol succinate ER. Been taking for a year now & PVCs are still as often as they were. I see/feel no improvement. Taking at night & valsartan in a.m experiencing BP drops. My BP is very high in the morning, like 167/110, before I take my daily dosage of valsartan. Within 2 hours of taking it my BP hasn't improved, then at about 5 hours after I take my BP med my BP plummets to like 71/54, sometimes lower. I fall asleep without even realizing it when it happens & sleep for about half hour. BP readings, about 4 times daily, shows PVCs at all times with an infrequent no PVC reading. Not convinced this med is doing anything for me."

momom (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "I had high blood pressure going up to 170/ 95 and after 3 weeks of use with 50 mg. My blood pressure went down to normal levels 120/ 80. No side effects at all. Works well for me especially when I compare it with previous used medicine ( Lisinopril) which gave me a bad cough."

Pauca (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I am 35 years of age and have had open heart surgery. Now get supra ventricular attacks. Not as often as before. The medicine worked great for me. It depends on the person... all I know is it worked."

Kka (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "Migraines and thunderclaps for last 3 weeks, everyday except one and raging from mildly annoying to viscous thunder claps. Pain relief has had minimal effect, I haven't been to work and most days too tired to function. Dr gave metoprolol, been on it 2 days, I am still getting migraines and also a new side effect. I feel like I'm on a merry go round when I sit up or stand. My balance is so off I wanna stop the drug. Is it too early to tell if its working?"

Kiwi82 July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "Prescribed 50mg day for post AFib/flutter ablation rate control while healing for a month or so. I've taken the regular non ER version before for similar reasons after coming out of AFib/flutter but usually had to stop very soon due to dropping rate and BP below the low end of the normal ranges. So far the ER tabs seem to be not as aggressive on that, but I'm not sure if I'll make the full recovery time with them. I haven't had any of the "loopiness" or fog that I've had with the non ER version which were 25's cut in half 2x day."

flyinion (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Have gained weight, feel lethargic and irritable. Hair thinning. Constantly running nose, dizzy, slow heart rate. Actually feel terrible. Can't exercise as unbalanced."

Buddah2510 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "Had first bypass op in 1982, second a triple in 1992. I have been taking 50 mg tablet per day (for 25 years now age 84. I take half the tablet in morning and half at night ( my own method ) have found this best for me. Have a little Fibrillation from time to time, in the form of hard heavy beat lasting about half hour. My blood pressure is good tending a little to the low side, pulse normally around 55-60. Have not had side affects that I am aware of ?"

JohnB. June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Been on this Rx for years. It is the only one that works to control my high blood pressure"

Stacy in FL (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "My experience is that while Metoprolol Succinate ER controls my Sinus Tachycardia, I have difficulty with glucose control, high triglycerides, swelling in my ankles, severe muscle cramps at times, and shortness of breath. Before taking Metoprolol my memory was great, now not so much."

Rose_budd (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for Left Ventricular Dysfunction: "Very nice, helped heart, now do sports easy, no more hard breathing"

Christ, Jesus saved me April 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "At first Metropolol seemed to work. Blood pressure was down, heart rate 55 beats per min. The longer I took the drug, the more side effects. at two months, my feet and legs developed tingling and numbness. Then, my fingers and hands developed the tingling. At three months of taking the drug, swallowing became very difficult. Food would get stuck in my throat and I would not be able to talk or dislodge food. Then, the insomnia started. I would wake at about 2 am and not be able to go back to sleep for several hours. Always tired, then would want to eat. I gained 20 pounds in a couple of months. When I would wake in the night because my arms would be asleep, that was the last straw. I stopped taking the drug and got a different prescription."

makeitso (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been on 50mg of Toprol/Metoprolol for 12 years, along with 2.5 mg Amlodopine, 81 mg Aspirin and 80 mg Atorvastatin; I'm pleased to say my BP is regularly in the 130/70 range, pulse 58-63 and I have had ABSOLUTELY no negative side effects!"

ArmyBlue (taken for 10 years or more) April 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I do not like this medicine I have gained a lot of weight, runny nose, tired all the time and very bad and crazy dreams."

Wykesha March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been on metoprolol 100mg once a day a year ago never had side effects now since my BP has been ok around 120/83-130/95 it's been lowered to 25mg an I've been having side effects such as low heart rate sometimes as low as 52 bpm really concerned about it other than that metroprolol has worked for me is this normal?"

Ashley1217 March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Works well with rapid heart beat caused by "Dumping Syndrome" which began after having very major surgery on my Stomach and Duodenam. The name of the surgery was Pyloroplasty, Vagotomy (severing the vagus nerve) and Hiatel Hernia repair back in 1985, followed by removal of my Gallbladder and appendix two years later which exacerbated the effects of rapid heart beat. Metoprolol along with Ativan sublingual, keeps the "Dumping Syndrome" in check most of the time, until I eat something that doesn't agree with my anatomy, (Creamy sauces, alchohol, milk, etc.)"

TOJO54 March 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking metoprolol for around 2 years, just recently going from 50mg to 100mg. My BP was crazy high with tachycardia quite bad beforehand. They have helped me a hell of a lot but l do have tiredness almost daily. I had no tachycardia bouts until recently and also weird fluttering feeling over the past few weeks. BP was still up a little so my doc has advised me to take 100mg which l have only started taking over the past 24 hours. So far no fluttering or palpitation feeling! I also no longer suffer with migraines!!!"

becca rae (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "Reading the mixed reviews here, the first thing that jumped out was people have problems swallowing. This has happened to me quite a bit recently, using metroprolol succ ER 25 mg daily, for about 2 years now. I did have great success in reducing my pulse (130 resting pulse for 20 years, adjust to 90 now). Overall I was happy with it, but now somewhat concerned with long term use."

edson boston March 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Loss of sexual appetite, tingling fingers."

MARK Kar March 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Angina: "This drug has literally changed my life in a very short time. I was having horrible chest pains, with a mixture of general anxiety due to work/home stress. Cardiologist found source of my chest pain is a narrowed subclavian artery. The chest pain completely stopped within 24 hours. The only real side effect is difficulty sleeping if instructed to take it at night. I switched to taking it first thing in the morning and I now sleep like a baby. I give it a 9/10 solely for that side effect. I did feel very lethargic when I first took it, but that went away completely after 2 days or so once my body got used to the meds. I feel much more calm than I did before so this medication has really changed the way I feel. improvement is noticeable"

McGizzle March 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I had several trips to the Hospital for GERD Attacks. The doctor said it was cause of the Metoprolol. My doctor changed it and I had no more Gerd Attacks."

alexis7092 March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "After I started to to this I couldn't see, Heart was racing, arms and legs were numb, and I went from over 181/100 to 105/79 and lite Head."

Azdal February 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "My BP is sometimes still a bit high. I have some eye strain, but the worst thing is the strange, vivid dreams that occur nightly. I used to take a different beta blocker, but the insurance company won't cover it."

The Bell (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I have rapid heartbeat and afib."

Lulu bug February 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I was prescribed this medicine just before my triple by-pass heart surgery in April 2014 and it has worked fairly good for my high blood pressure and has worked wonders for my aura type migraine problem. I was having up to 5 migraine spells per week before my surgery to none since my surgery when I started taking Metoprolol. I am very grateful the migraine problem has been reduced to almost none. I do have a few side-effects from this drug, but I can tolerate them ok. Nothing could be as bad as those migraines I had, so the side-effects don't bother me."

Oldmanwinter (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "I was on 50 mg's of Metropolol twice per day and had a few high readings of 200/80 due to anxiety. Doctor raised me to 100 ER twice per day plus Lorsartan. I feel like a zombie. It has lowered my BP but I have several side effects listed such as dizziness, tiredness, confused at times, dry mouth, burping and a few other side effects. I have been on this high dose of ER for 10 days and I don't think I will be able to take this drug in such a high dose much longer. The doctor wants me to go for heart tests to find out why my pressure went so high. High blood pressure runs in my family and I could stand to lose 20 pounds which I am trying to do."

Hope to feel better soon February 21, 2017