User Reviews for Metoprolol

Also known as: Lopressor, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Toprol-XL

Learn more about Metoprolol.

Migraine Prevention 9 reviews 30 medications

Heart Attack 9 reviews 121 medications

Atrial Fibrillation 48 reviews 40 medications

Summary of Metoprolol reviews 258 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Metoprolol

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "maximal given dose to me was 200mg / day (4x50mg) No answer, since bringing in Propafenon after starting propafenon my dose metoprolol is reduced to 100 mg / day. which has been a success, one problem , when taking metoprolol I cant stop eating :D after stopping metoprolol (switched to bisoprolol) have lost 13 kg 18 male here"

DzoNI (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 22, 2017

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I started toprol back in spring of 2004. I was switched from generic metoprolol, I was on that for borderline hbp. After 4 years on that I developed racing and very irregular heart beats the toprolxl did nothing. they got even worse. My doc took me off saying it was side effects of both drugs. I immediately improved. I still have them but not as bad. No cardiologist has told me what was wrong. I have a really bad back. In 2011 I got an epidural at T4-5 and that completely cured my rapid and irregular heartbeat for 3 years. There are 8 nerves besides the vagas nerve that go to the heart, they are part of the autonomic nervous system. They all come off the spine at C4-5 to T4-5 I have severe stenosis at all those levels."

riparian January 13, 2017

For Mitral Valve Prolapse: "I had terrible symptoms of MVP that landed me in the hospital for 5 days. I started taking this medicine 25 mg a day and my symptoms are so much better. I used to have shortness of breath, palpitations, chest pain, and weakness but it's so much better now. I only occasionally have some palpitations but nothing like before. Metoprolol works great!"

CarrieB_14611 December 28, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Hi..I have afib...I am on a 100 mg of metoprolol ..I have had good success with this medication..a family history of heart disease with angina pains..mine began at the age of 26 with angina pains, placed on caridezem at the time..at the age of 49 had blockages of 100-99-65 ... the 100 was the widow maker..which my surgeon spent two hours to stent... ended up going back in every week for three straight weeks to get the others...the back of my heart had stopped pumping at the time...about two years ago, at the age of 60 I began with afib..now I have been on this metoprolol , along with other medication, Plavix and aspirin ..being a bad diabetic as well..I know this medication has given me more life and quality.."

Rebecca k. December 24, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I am on 50mg about 6 months now It took two weeks for me to adjust to the meds. I have had to make serious life changes no more smoking and drinking I can't eat food with high salt contents because I've notice my heart rate increases and I have irregular heart rate very uncomfortable, and I watch my sugar intake. I exercise on a regular basis if I don't work out I just keep busy move around go for a simple walk. The only issue I have is at times my heart rate is low anywhere from 52-56 bpm when I'm laying down or even sometimes when I go shopping. I notice I have like a bit off lightheadedness dizzy not sure but not all the time. The medication works as long as I'm not doing the things that trigger AFib."

Rivy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 24, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Put on this mid-year after a tough year of health issues left me with increased anxiety,HR & BP. Told to expect no side effects. I can directly connect a horrible change in my daily life to this medication. I was told I was in menopause and put on hormones! -Scorching, sweaty, humiliating hot flashes -Debilitating fatigue and brain fog -Insomnia -Zero energy -Gained 20 pounds -Massive Breast ENLARGEMENT! -Awful swelling -Hoarse voice, constant cough -Major depression -Change in eyesight -No interest in life Ridiculous! All along I thought it was my fault and menopause! Add hormones to that and it's a disaster. I was VERY close to giving up. This medication is old, outdated and unacceptable."

DRxNewz December 16, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "PCP (primary care physician) put me on Metoprolol ER Succinate 50 mg after Atrial Flutter of 136 bpm. After on it for 16 weeks, I developed heart block (a side effect). Heart got screwed up and pulse went down to 40 bpm. Had to get a pacemaker. A totally risky drug."

Kevinaki (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 5, 2016

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "Wow!!!!! I have not been feeling well for a long time. Until Toprol lx 25mg. My head is clear. I can think straight. I dont have any anxiety. My work performance is at it greatest level. Even my sexual drive is back. I get up rested in the morning and fell no fatigue. I dont know about anyone else but I'm glad to take this medication."

Travis s. December 2, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I was prescribed hydrochlorothyazide to lower BP. Within 2 weeks I had tachycardia and went to the ER at the VA. After about 8 hours the tachycardia went away but the idiots at the ER didn't see fit to take me off hydrochlorothyazide. So, within 2 weeks I had another bout of tachycardia and went to the ER again. This time I was put on metropolol and still not taken off of hydrochlorothyazide. Instead of tachycardia I ended up within 2 weeks with arrhythmia that was so bad it felt as if my heart was going to explode through my chest. I kept having bouts of arrhythmia every 2 weeks with my heart exploding with every heartbeat. I used a food protocol changed everything. D-ribose does the same as metropolol with no side effects."

Eye of Horus (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 26, 2016

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for Left Ventricular Dysfunction: "Just wanted to share my experience getting OFF metoprololER 25 mg, and switching to Diltiazem ER, 120 mg. After a pulmonary embolism (no symptoms except PVCs), I suffered PVC w/anxiety and panic attacks, even while treating blood clots with Coumadin. I was put on 25 mg metoprolol ER to help the anxiety and PVCs- it helped immediately. I stayed on several years. I continued the dosage, and tried to stay/get in shape. I steadily gained weight, assumed it was age. Exercising felt impossible. After a year or so, I was also having afternoon hypotension upon standing quickly. I developed symptoms of asthma and chest tightness + fatigue. I was switched to Diltiazem. After 8 days of body adjustment (w/small amt Ativan 2 days), I again feel human."

szuletik (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 19, 2016

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "I am a 19 year old healthy female, 5'2 138 pounds, however I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. I was having readings as high as 165/106. My doctor prescribed me this, 25MG once before I go to bed every night. I was on this for about two weeks before I started noticing a lot of hair falling out. Thank God she took me off before it got too noticeable, but other than this side affect I feel it was a pretty decent medication, it definitely lowered my blood pressure."

Kayla Nevins (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I've been taking Metoprolol for a couple months now and input see and difference than before I started taking it. In fact, my doctor even increased it from once a day to two pills in the morning and one at night. No change. Not even a change in pvc's, which makes for horrible anxiety, at least for me."

MyGraine November 12, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I recently switched from metaprolol, 1/2 of 25 mg/ day to brand name Toprol xl & have found the negative side effects- fatigue, too low blood pressure, dizziness, nausea- to be much less. I still feel a little of that about 12 hours after I take it- I figure that is a slight " withdrawal" effect, it lasts about 30-45 min. & I don't have it every day. When I took the generic ( manufacturer, PAR) I felt on a roller coaster, up & down all day. The time release delivery feels to be much smoother with the brand name, toprol- I recommend it. All in all, it works well, keeps my heart in sinus rhythm, but it's a tough drug to have to take."

Claudia2 November 8, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been on metoprolol er 12.5mg since September 20th. The first month was great then on October 21st my resting heart rate went from 61 to 70 and when I walk it suddenly goes to 140 for no reason. I work out 6 days a week and it doesn't make any sence to me. Going back to my doctor tomorrow to figure it out. I just don't see why all of a sudden it would make things 10x worse. I didn't take it today to see if it would help. I was able to exersice without my heart rate sky rocketing to ridiculous numbers. This is the first medication like this I have ever taken. Plus the weight gain is ridiculous. I lost 15 lbs before starting this medication and less then 2 months I gained it all back."

Anonymous November 3, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "After 8 hours of fast, irregular beating I went to the emergency room and was diagnosed with afib, which reverted on its own after a few hours. The doctor prescribed metoprolol ER 25mg. I tried to give this drug a chance, but it did absolutely nothing to stop subsequent episodes. If anything they seemed to get worse. It felt like my heart was stopping altogether. I'm a fit 27 year old with low BP and resting heart rate. Because of this, I have to question the doctor's judgement in prescribing this medication. It brought my BP and heart rate down even further, severely affecting my quality of life. I was constantly lightheaded, foggy, woke up with headaches, etc. Bad decision on his part. Switched to flecainide and feel like myself again!"

BadHeartGuy November 2, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Actually raised my heart rate from 70s to mid 80s to 100+ and did nothing for my blood pressure. Also gave me side effect of flashing lights at night in left eye. Wound up in ER after taking this drug for 3 months and LOST 14 pounds. Dr. Said impossible that this was due to metopropol, but as soon as I changed to Bystolic, heart rate decreased to 60s and 70s and weight stopped dropping. Guess I was allergic to it."

Iloveevan (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 23, 2016

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "My doctor prescribed me Metoprolol Succinate ER 25mg and advised me to take half first few days. When I did, I began to have a rush down my body and severe tremors began. My heart rate jumped to 138, it was pounding. I tried laying down, still. I even had chest pain. I usually get low blood pressure but I only felt very tired, not dizzy or fainty. I called my doctor, and he asked me to go to the ER to make sure everything is okay. I did. They did XRAY, blood work, gave me IV to flush it out. Everything was normal. My HR kept jumping from 67 to 105 suddenly. I was told to stop taking it. I am bummed out because I was looking forward to this helping me. After everything, my HR has was 54 resting and 72 active. It did afterwards!"

Delmarie020 (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I have had constant afib for over 2 years though mostly tolerable. At times though I have spells that usually run less than a few minutes with a heart rate of around 190 plus and pain. My worst battle with this level lasted about 15 minutes. I take 50mg of Metoprolol 2 times a day on a regular basis but add another 50 if I have the biggies and that settles the heart rate down quickly. Luckily I have no side affects but would love to find something else that quickly slows the heart rate ... mainly to avoid the pain and spooky stuff that goes a;long with it. I've had 11 angioplasties and 10 stents since 1990 and am 70."

Dave DP October 8, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "It stopped my PACs (Preatrial contractions ). I was on this med for 13 years. Over three years ago I started having increased muscle weakness, episodes of collapsing or falling without knowing why or even a warning that I was going to fall, extremely dry eyes (OTC eye drops were ineffective), severe muscle spasms, back pain, increased diarrhea, swelling in hands and feet, and pinpoint red spots on my skin. I looked up the side effects of this med and I had 24 of the adverse effects!! I had become so weak that I had to use 2 walking sticks, could hardly get in or out of bed, couldn't walk a 100 ft. I quit taking this med which I thoroughly believe was killing me. I have begun to feel much better regaining some of my muscle strength and have less back pain."

ballmarc (taken for 10 years or more) October 6, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I was put on metoprolol for SVT & IST after other medications made me worse, dropped my blood pressure too low etc. Although it never completely disappated the issues, I was going from everyday occurances to every 3-6months between each episode. No problems getting the heart rate up in exercise (still quite the opposite actually! I can reach 180bpm after 5mins) Unfortunately it didnt stop the progression to AF. After 6yrs of SVT & metoprolol I was further diagnosed with AF. Dosage was increased from 25mg to 50-75mg per day. Starting to work a little better now in preventing rapid AF however I still get slow AF. Dry mouth, cold extremities & occasional dizzy spells have been all too common however definitely a small price to pay. 28yo fem"

rileyamber (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 5, 2016

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "Metoprolol 75mg/daily. Dizzy & off balance, nausea, weight gain, joint pain, extreme fatigue with breathlessness, hair loss. I accidently cut down on taking it when I had the flu. Lost 10 lbs due to hardly eating for 1 1/2 weeks. Noticed that I was thinking more clearly, had no nausea, joint pain was pretty much gone and I had more energy. Checked bp and it was still in the normal range. Am weaning myself off and am down to 25mg daily as I continue working to diet. Easier to lose weight now, too. I can breathe much more normally now and have better balance."

MJEBS. October 3, 2016

For Mitral Valve Prolapse: "Help keep my heart rate down and not letting it race out of my chest."

Paul Brotherton September 29, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking 50mg of metoprolol XL for about a yr. for hypertension ... while it has helped lower my B/P, I have side effects ... issues like hoarseness for no apparent reason, occasional fatigue & occasional dizziness ... at times lowers my heart rate that I feel dizzy like passing out (especially in mornings) I will talk to my pcp see if can switch / experiment with another med. In my opinion, all B/P meds have side effects"

Rocky96 September 29, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "I had my blood pressure go up to 180/120. It crept up on me and I have always had tachycardia. So far it has brought my pressure down some and my heart rate a little. But it makes me very fatigued and I feel like my breath is taken away from me some times. A plus is I have ataxia and it does not make that worse. But whoa the dreams are something else."

Dragon fawn September 13, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Weight gain"

Nickyname September 13, 2016