User Reviews for Metoprolol

Also known as: Kapspargo Sprinkle, Lopressor, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Toprol-XL

Migraine Prevention

6.3

Atrial Fibrillation

Summary of Metoprolol reviews 6.7 348 reviews

Reviews for Metoprolol

For High Blood Pressure: "does not work and it makes me feel sick after four months of use."

swergin (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2018

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "Terrible and outright dangerous. This is a generic that is made by different pharma companies using whatever fillers and coating they get at the lowest possible price from goodness knows where; quality varies from one to the other, and from refill to refill; caused the opposite effects - NOT lowering BP - rather increasing it sky high! My pharmacist told me that many patients complain about it and gave me the brand (Toprol) to try - very different results!! Only complaint now is tiredness, bit wobbly, and some pressure and shortness of breath after taking it; I take 25 mg. And break it in half, and take each half 6-7 hours apart, which was my pharmacists recommendation, and it’s better. Stay away from the generic, consult your pharmacist, and be well!"

EJF (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 18, 2018

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "After about one week, the side effects including back ache were severe. It took about three weeks to determine it was the Drug. The complications ceased immediately upon being taken off the drug. Do not quit without dr orders"

Oiler (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2018

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "Worked well to control my blood pressure but couldn’t tolerate the side effects. Caused constant headache as well as a pressure feeling in my head and made me feel somewhat swollen all over (even though I wasn’t)"

Jane (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2018

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "I decided to try this medicine again for high blood pressure. It would make my blood bp okay but drop my pulse in 40s. Once again tried 1 pill 25mg started feeling like rubbish and my blood pressure still 150/100, and my pulse 48"

Glo (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Took 25 mg for 2 months was working great then stopped working. Now I am on 50 mg and my BP is high than before 150/90 with a pulse of 60 to 70, At times my BP in 160 to 170/ 100 how can the medicine increase you BP when it's suppose to lower it."

anxious59 August 9, 2018

For Premature Ventricular Depolarizations: "I started experiencing PVC's in 2007 during a really bad bout of depression and panic attacks. The panic attacks were daily and this lasted about 12 weeks until my doctor put me on an antidepressant. Anyways, once I started getting them, they stuck around and I still have them now 11 years later. I take metoprolol 100 mg 3x a day along with Amlodipine 5 mg 1x a day. Sometimes I take it 2x's a day if my PVC's act up. The PVC's are really scary but this combination of medicine does help them. When I first started getting them, I had to wear a Holter monitor for 24 hours and I also had an echocardiogram of my heart. My doctor told me these things are benign. They don't feel benign though when it feels like my heart's gonna stop and I'm gonna drop dead. I gave this medicine a 7 out of 10 because while it does work, I need the combination of these 2 medications to really notice a difference. I'd just like to add that I am a 38-year-old female. I've been on this medication since I was 27."

Blue (taken for 10 years or more) July 25, 2018

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I was diagnosed with moderate/severe obstructive sleep apnea and supraventricular "events" 4 months ago. I was put on a resmed pap machine and metoprolol succinate er 25 mg. I have gained 10 pounds, I feel: no energy, chest heavy, heart pumping weak, breathing decreased/light, affect flat, tired, constipated, I can't think. My events are rare now but I don't know if my events were due to the sleep apnea and if the pap helped decrease them because I started both med and pap at same time. I miss being extroverted, energetic and outgoing. I don't know if there is any other treatment available. Ablation? I don't like this med."

Freckles (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2018

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "Long term hypertensive and one old MI. IT WORKS."

liam (taken for 10 years or more) July 4, 2018

For Migraine Prevention: "The day after I started using metoprolol I began having side effects. First it was nausea and loss of appetite, then wanting to sleep in the daytime (I never do this), no energy at all, couldn't accomplish anything, anxiety, and felt this way for 3 weeks before it dawned on me it might be the change in blood pressure meds. When I looked up side effects of this drug I knew it was not for me. I am back on Atenolol which had been discontinued manufacturing and already feeling better. Wondering how long the effects of metoprolol will be in my system. I'm glad it works for some, but for me it was like poison."

Syed (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 27, 2018

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for Angina Pectoris Prophylaxis: "I had tightening in my chest. I have had a blockage. Starting to have high blood pressure and I'm 57 also taking isosorbide these two meds are helping."

Grandma (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 21, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "For me this medicine has been fantastic. While I'm on it I finally feel normal again. The only downside is that when I wake up in the mornings before taking my meds it honestly feels like my chest is going to explode. Like there is just this really super weird pressure in my centre of my chest. But once I take the meds again it goes away instantly so I'm pretty happy with it all things considered"

Finn (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 20, 2018

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I was prescribed Metoprolol for tachycardia because my regular beta blocker was unavailable. Other than the normal side effects, I had a very strange one - this medication made me extremely allergic to shellfish. I was not allergic before nor am I now after discontinuing it a couple weeks ago."

Young lady (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 20, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Cardiologist prescribed this for anxiety , I think. He didn't tell me he prescribed it though. The pharmacy called and said it was ready. So , trusting him , I took it at bedtime for two nights. Extreme upper middle abdominal pain , no appetite, extreme fatigue on day two. Didn't take anymore. 3rd day trying to deal with pain in abdomen."

Old (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2018

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "My experience with this drug was that I was always tired and had no energy, I was told that I had to take the drug once a day and I took it when I got home after work. My Blood Pressure skyrocketed instead of going down. It left me sleeping longer, I was cranky and crabby as well. I ran out of the product. I went back to my doctor 3-4 X and she prescribed another medicine to help lower my Blood Pressure. I took that prescription and went to Walmart, got a print out of the medication and decided not to take it. In February I changed doctors, took the empty prescription bottle with me and asked him if I needed to take it further. I ran out of the product and was taking an alternative that had Hawthorne extract, Potassium, and other nutritional supplements to lower my BP."

b (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2018

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "Hi Readers, I am not a person who likes to take any medication. I was driving to my husbands work and all of a sudden my heart started flutter it was so strange I was scared. I told my husband and he said are you having a panic attack? Because I do have them. I left and went straight to emergency room. They took me in right away. My Heart Rate was 190 bpm so they had to give me medication to slow my hr down. By giving me two injections then I stayed in for a night and found out I had Benign Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) and high bp so I like this med. It also helps my anxiety a lot"

indigogirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2018

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "I have been on this for about 10 years. First 50mg 2x daily and now for the past 2 years 25mg 2x daily, this is due to weight loss. It controls my high BP. Sometimes I have a fast heart beat, but that seems to be my only side effect."

ChefD (taken for 10 years or more) May 30, 2018

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I've tried to use this drug two separate times and in less than two weeks extreme, almost suicidal, depression set in along with fatigue, shortness of breath and a constant heavy feeling in the chest. It made my diastolic heart failure feel much worse. At night my heart rate was 45 even when I was wide awake. All this on just a 25 mg. starting dose. I had the same reaction to propanolol several years ago. I'll live with the SVT far more comfortably. Quality of life counts!"

Ann (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Has anybody had the experience with ringing of the ears with metoprolol I had open heart surgery 4 years ago and two and a half years ago my ears started to ring. If yes did anybody change to another medicine? to stop it? I wonder if it's too late and whether my ears are damaged"

Captain (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 13, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Blinding migraines began in 2014 and a whole slew of other symptoms accompanied. (Major Auras, Pre- & Post-) Since I did not have headaches it was difficult to diagnose. I had major job related, family, & health stressors. I was placed on Imitrex and it appeared to be working to quickly relieve migraines but did not last. Over time my blood pressure began to raise and Imitrex can cause it. My cardiologist put me on Metoprolol Succinate ER 25 mg for my blood pressure and what do you know! I can think clearer and migraines All gone! God is truly Good! I have less anxiety, blood pressure down, & migraines gone! I forgot to mention that I really do not like to take medicines. I prefer the natural route. But this medicine was worth taking!"

PreciousDaughter (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2018

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol) for : "Two months ago, My Husband had a tarry stool! We went to the ER! He had also expirenced high pulse rates. They did a colonoscopy and upper G.I.,found nothing! O2 was at 95% after procedure, he was on 3 liters of O2! Started him on 12.5mg twice daily. Now experiencing many side effects including rapid pulse, shortness of breath, a raised rash, and today his face started to swell! His voice sounds different as well! Also has edema, cold intolerance and is fidgeting! This was inappropriate medication as he’s never had a heart attack, angina, or chest pain. Pulse increase started after Prevnar13 shot! ER only found CO2 level increasing, so he’s now on a BIPAP! Only thing good we discovered from ER trip! Dr said to cut dosage in half for week, then only a quarter dose for one week! I’m worried and he’s not the same as before anesthesia! Too much was given!"

Started usage in ER! (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2018

For Atrial Fibrillation: "In the 1st posting I was raised to 50 mg. After a month I had 5 attacks of AF two were pretty heavy duty. So I raised the medication to 75 mg. I have not had one in over a month. The Dr. Raised it to one hundred last week. I feel tired and want to sleep. Hard to get motivated. But if it keeps the AF away it is ok!"

Gary Harlow April 15, 2018

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "This is the best meds ever , been on 25 mg ER for 20 years , control mine BP for years , still just take 25 mg ,love this meds no side effect"

vic (taken for 10 years or more) April 3, 2018

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I had slight headache on back of head and neck which bothered me. I thought it was sweets or diet drink or my diet. Then after a month I went to see a dr. and her nurse was taking my blood pressure and it hurt real bad and I told her, she looked and took it again. She turned so I could my numbers and I was shocked the top number was 209. I don't remember what the bottom number was. I called the dr. that had prescribed the metoprolol and he told me to get off it. It took 3-4 days for it to back to normal. I do take a blood thinner,I guess that will have to do?"

cookie (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2018

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I have only been taking 3-4 days and hate it. I have the lowest dose I'm told. Went to doctors and then E.R. for second opinion and was told my heart beats are off and race. Almost 3 yrs ago I had an Ablation done where they snipped something to stop my rapid heart beats cause I was having them too often. Then this one day and they give me this. It makes me depressed and then at night my whole body hurts. But I'm fine in the morning. I have heartburn as well so have to take tums . Going back to my doctor tomorrow cause I don't want to take this anymore. Only taking 25 mg ."

Meech March 11, 2018