User Reviews for Metoprolol

Also known as: Lopressor, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Toprol-XL

Learn more about Metoprolol.

Migraine Prevention 8 reviews 30 medications

6.2
Heart Attack 9 reviews 121 medications

Summary of Metoprolol reviews 232 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Metoprolol

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I've had my third pacer put in the last 18 years. Before the first one I joined the 200 bpm club. Terrible. After my first pacer I still felt very powerful heartbeats. So powerful they kept me awake at night. Doc put me on 50 mg metatropanol and I've felt like a human being ever since. Only complaint is short term memory. 70 year old male."

Frutluptwo2 August 28, 2016

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "Taking for blood pressure..white coat hypertension.....usually 180/100 with pulse 104 in doctors office...my anxiety down...bp now usually 114/70 with pulse 70...taking 50mg. Only side effect very tired..hopefully will go away."

Counting12 August 25, 2016

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "I originally started taking Metoprolol 25 mg once a day due to SVTs. they helped calm them down a bit. I also have PVCs and PACs especially when my blood pressure is superhigh. I am now back on this medication and started at 25 mg, within a few months it was up to 50 mg, I recently went up 100mg from my GP, but now my cardiologist up me to 200 mg. I have been only taking 100-150 mg. I break to be 100 mg pill in half and take 50 mg every six hours. My blood pressure went from 197/130 to approx 147/97. I have recently changed my diet dramatically and Inc. swimming and walking as an exercise. 49F, 208lbs. Sedentary life for 5 years. No side effects at all. Take with food though as directed. Causes nausea w/o food for me."

SharynLP July 20, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "ED is one of the side affects without doubt"

Xosenite (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2016

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "I can only take 1/4 of a 25 mg tablet a day, and I still get extremely tired. Any more and it makes my blood pressure go up. 1/4 tablet keeps my blood pressure pretty normal on systolic, but heart rate and diastolic are too low.I have trouble breathing."

garden 10 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 2, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I take Toprol XL @ 50 MG for AF. It's been life-changing. Was admitted for irregular heartbeat in 2012. Took some other medications and they made me feel awful. This was the third medication we tried. I've been taking it every day for four years now and I couldn't be happier. Symptoms are basically gone. A lot of people here report feeling tired, but I don't feel that way at all. I take the pill at night. Maybe that side effect wears off as I sleep? However, I definitely have trouble getting my heart rate up during normal exercise. If you go for more than 30 minutes, though, your heart rate will get up to where it should be while running, cycling, etc. I'm a 44yo white male. HANG IN THERE! There are so many ways to treat issues."

Cordless Drill (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 26, 2016

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "My cardiologist prescribed one half Watson metaprolol succinate 25 to normalize heart rate in Dec. and this is new form for me and is much better product than Mylan metaprolol tartrate I was on before, it caused breathing and chest discomfort and I quit taking it. I don't like taking a beta blocker but Watson product I feel is much better and it can help me control heart rate."

Anonymous June 19, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I started metaprolol 12.5 mg once a day 6 weeks ago after having an electrical cardioconversion for a rapid, irregular heartbeat. I take blood pressure and pulse 2times/ day and it is averaging 107/71, pulse 63- working well. It took me a good 4 weeks to adapt to the tough side effects though. I felt very tired to the point of falling asleep during the day, was worn out if I walked to far or even stood too long, felt lightheadedness, nauseated, was afraid to drive. I'm glad I stuck it out, the side effects finally abated. Hang in there, the bad side effects can go away. For the record I'm a 69 year old woman, 5`4" 128 lbs. I take the pill at night."

Claredelune June 3, 2016

For : "Metoprolol Tartrate 50mg has been a Godsend to me. After years of having palpitations and being told my tests (ekgs, stress, halter monitor) were normal, that it was just anxiety. Sometimes I was having several a minute to only a few times a day. They scared me which just increased my anxiety. Finally my dr said I had slight tachycardia, my resting heart rate was usually around 100bpm and prescribed me metoprolol 50mg twice a day. The first week i hated this medicine. Swore it made me feel 'just not right'. I believe it was from reading negative reviews. After a couple weeks, palps gone, rating heart rate a around 60bpm. A year later I can say palps are rare. This medicine worked wonderful for me."

Timbob (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 27, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "With the start of my diagnosis with afib 3 1/2 years ago, I was started on 12.5 mg of metoprolol. From the beginning, I seemed to have been made sicker, e.g. less energy and seemingly more afib. Metoprolol worked against my prostate meds. Had TURP. TURP gave me CHF. While in hospital, a very old fashioned heart doctor got me up to 250 mg/day. Lots of its side effects. Stopped it and went to ER. Went on Coreg. Gave me swelled legs. Back on low dose of metoprolol. Over time, up to 75 mg of metoprolol. Afib stopped mostly with ICD & 2 ablations. Last straw was numbness in feet and back shooting nerve pain. On carvedilol now and no feet numbness nor back shooting nerve pain. Best I've felt in 3 1/2 years. Only 12.5 mg bid."

RalphVa May 27, 2016

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "this medication almost took my life. during the 6 years I was on it my cardiologist kept raising the dose. I had difficulty standing on my feet, developed severe headaches, slurred speech and dark veiled vision. over time my fingers turned dark purple like grape juice. I reached the point where I could not sit up one morning without help. my daughter discovered my back was dark purple as well. the emergency room doctor took me off immediately stating a severe reaction."

tina jones May 14, 2016

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "SVT Tachycardia 30 yrs, episode 2/2016 caused me to go to ER with Adenosine. Just had an SVT Ablasion 5/11 and was told to continue Metoprolol 25mg 1-bid to continue managing my Hypertension however my pulse is now low and it not above 55 advised to not take. Today BP 151/86 HR 60 so took pill and now a few hrs later feel crappy, retook 142/83 HR 51. Thinking they need to refigure another med to manage the HTN that does not drop my pulse so low..."

Kat Track (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I get severe headaches from this medicine"

Krissy4242 May 12, 2016

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol) for Angina: "Extreme fatigue Pressure in my head Headaches Dry mouth"

Boomer9392 (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2016

For Premature Ventricular Depolarizations: "I started metaprolol 12.5 mg for pvcs. The 25mg dropped my heart rate. I still have pvcs often. Do you think dose is too low."

60 year old May 7, 2016

For Heart Attack: "Difficulty swoallowing,difficulty with speech"

Robbit (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 7, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Diarrhea and rash"

Anniepokoy May 3, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Made me feel exhausted. Could not get heart rate over 100 when exercising . Gained weight. Dr. Switched medication to lisinopril Now feel reborn."

For Angina: "I am 54 and had a stent put in with 95% blockage. I was put on Metoprolol 25mg along with atorvastatin and effient. The first month or so was tough as I had headaches, chest pains shortness of breath, etc. I think a large part of it was anxiety from a life changing surprise condition. No more headaches and anxiety is much, much better. I have a bit of shortness of breath, even when sitting at times, but I have been able to jog at the gym. Just started again this week and went 30 minute today. Overall, not sure if anything is working, but I am trying to just trust my Doctor and listen to my body. Very tough emotionally, but adjusting."

mistermess April 24, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I was switched from Cardevidiol after many years to metoprorol er. I have been on it for over a week and l have been experiencing severe anxiety attacks, tiredness, restlessness and hell. It really destroys my life and i am hoping dr will describe something better."

Tatjana A April 19, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Hard to know if it works,i've been on it for two years following surgery,aortic valve replacement,vsd repair,maze procedure..Two month ago I had an Afib episode. When my heart feel off,this medicine helps control the symptoms but overall with the combination of losartan and warfarin, I feel,tired,depressed,I'm sun sensitive,get unexplained rashes,have a low sex drive,diarrea...considering it didn't help relapsing al I want to do is stop using it."

Ezphilou April 18, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I was very happy with "Betaloc CR 190 " and then they put me on ATF Metoprolol CR 190 and it is crap because if I take 1 in the morning it only lasts about 10 to 13 hours and I end up with A/Fib at night . I never ever had this trouble with Betaloc CR190"

Smiley Bert (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 16, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "No, not getting paid for this. First, I suffered from vicious migraine attacks since I was about 7. Migraine so severe that NOTHING would work. Finally in 2010 when I was 38 I needed stents to fix major coranary blockages. I never had a migraine since..and I used to have them about twice per week. Some have even lasted more than a week! I figure, after reading it MUST be the metoprolol...it's been 6 years. Migraine FREE. At the very least, you should try it and see for yourself..or continue suffering."

2%6890 April 10, 2016

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "Good product few minor side effects."

Nonoman (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 9, 2016

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "My tachycardia started in my middle 30s, and though they were rare, became more severe as i entered my middle 40's and had to ER visits requiring the injection that stops the heart-no fun and scary. After this I went to a cardiologist who gave me 50 mg Metoprolol to take as needed. I am happy that i don't have to take it daily because it does make me sluggish on the very rare times that I do-I am pleased to have a solution when these events happen and my fears of dying suddenly from a heart episode have been drastically reduced."

Robsey (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2016