User Reviews for Metoprolol

Also known as: Lopressor, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Toprol-XL

Learn more about Metoprolol.

Mitral Valve Prolapse 10 reviews 12 medications

Atrial Fibrillation 51 reviews 24 medications

Heart Attack 9 reviews 121 medications

Summary of Metoprolol reviews 300 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Metoprolol

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "I have tried the generic version (extended release) after using brand name Toprol XL. The generic did not work well for me. After a few days it felt like I hadn't taken the medicine. Toprol XL works great, and when i swapped back to the original I felt great again. There must be some difference in the release between the two. This med brings the BP into 120's over low to mid 70's range where I was reg 140's/90's. It also helps bpm from mid 90's down to upper 70's."

ChristophA September 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Controls my blood pressure with mild side affects such as dry mouth and dizziness that did go away after a few days of taking it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "White spots In my mouth. It only works for ten hours and then my ears start ringing telling me that my blood pressure is up again."

Patty Mae (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "Changed from atenolol 50mg to metropolol er succinate 25 mg not by choice. Transition very smooth. Was taking atenolol for SVTs. I added magnesium to my daily dose after some research on SVTs. Stomach bloating from atenolol reduced and my sleep improved. I'm a mid distance runner with HR in the upper 50s. Feeling very good."

Nestin (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I was prescribed metoprolol for tachycardia. I took it for about 6 weeks. I did feel better and not as fatigued, but suddenly I had severe depression. I felt like everything in my life was out of control even though mentally I knew it wasn't. I was sobbing hysterically all day and felt like I was losing my mind! I figured out the only change I'd made was taking metoprolol so I weaned myself off of it and the depression cleared right up. My doctor said he has a lot of patients on this medication and even though depression is a side effect none of them have had this issue. So I'm guessing it's not a common side effect but beware if you're just starting this."

Tlp3731 August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Prescribed this for heart palpitations/tachycardia associated with extreme anxiety and panic attacks. Also had rather elevated blood pressure which I think runs in the family. Felt awful for weeks prior to being prescribed the medication, but once I started taking it things improved VERY quickly. Resting heart rate and blood pressure both down, no more palpitations, far less health anxiety. Doctor described it as having a "calming effect" and I definitely agree. No side effects to speak of thus far about 2 months in. 90mg immediate release once per day."

kza (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Mitral Valve Prolapse: "20 years of misery and then I come across this gift from God! Give it a shot! FYI- some generics are WAY better than others so if one doesn't work don't give up hope. Plus you can have it prescribed three months at a time to save on costs! Good Luck! Keep that heart rate down! ;)"

Hollywood39 (taken for 10 years or more) July 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "Have very frequent Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs), heart testing said my heart is fine. Put me on metoprolol succinate ER. Been taking for a year now & PVCs are still as often as they were. I see/feel no improvement. Taking at night & valsartan in a.m experiencing BP drops. My BP is very high in the morning, like 167/110, before I take my daily dosage of valsartan. Within 2 hours of taking it my BP hasn't improved, then at about 5 hours after I take my BP med my BP plummets to like 71/54, sometimes lower. I fall asleep without even realizing it when it happens & sleep for about half hour. BP readings, about 4 times daily, shows PVCs at all times with an infrequent no PVC reading. Not convinced this med is doing anything for me."

momom (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "I had high blood pressure going up to 170/ 95 and after 3 weeks of use with 50 mg. My blood pressure went down to normal levels 120/ 80. No side effects at all. Works well for me especially when I compare it with previous used medicine ( Lisinopril) which gave me a bad cough."

Pauca (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I am 35 years of age and have had open heart surgery. Now get supra ventricular attacks. Not as often as before. The medicine worked great for me. It depends on the person... all I know is it worked."

Kka (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention: "Migraines and thunderclaps for last 3 weeks, everyday except one and raging from mildly annoying to viscous thunder claps. Pain relief has had minimal effect, I haven't been to work and most days too tired to function. Dr gave metoprolol, been on it 2 days, I am still getting migraines and also a new side effect. I feel like I'm on a merry go round when I sit up or stand. My balance is so off I wanna stop the drug. Is it too early to tell if its working?"

Kiwi82 July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "Prescribed 50mg day for post AFib/flutter ablation rate control while healing for a month or so. I've taken the regular non ER version before for similar reasons after coming out of AFib/flutter but usually had to stop very soon due to dropping rate and BP below the low end of the normal ranges. So far the ER tabs seem to be not as aggressive on that, but I'm not sure if I'll make the full recovery time with them. I haven't had any of the "loopiness" or fog that I've had with the non ER version which were 25's cut in half 2x day."

flyinion (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Have gained weight, feel lethargic and irritable. Hair thinning. Constantly running nose, dizzy, slow heart rate. Actually feel terrible. Can't exercise as unbalanced."

Buddah2510 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "Had first bypass op in 1982, second a triple in 1992. I have been taking 50 mg tablet per day (for 25 years now age 84. I take half the tablet in morning and half at night ( my own method ) have found this best for me. Have a little Fibrillation from time to time, in the form of hard heavy beat lasting about half hour. My blood pressure is good tending a little to the low side, pulse normally around 55-60. Have not had side affects that I am aware of ?"

JohnB. June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Been on this Rx for years. It is the only one that works to control my high blood pressure"

Stacy in FL (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "My experience is that while Metoprolol Succinate ER controls my Sinus Tachycardia, I have difficulty with glucose control, high triglycerides, swelling in my ankles, severe muscle cramps at times, and shortness of breath. Before taking Metoprolol my memory was great, now not so much."

Rose_budd (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for Left Ventricular Dysfunction: "Very nice, helped heart, now do sports easy, no more hard breathing"

Christ, Jesus saved me April 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "At first Metropolol seemed to work. Blood pressure was down, heart rate 55 beats per min. The longer I took the drug, the more side effects. at two months, my feet and legs developed tingling and numbness. Then, my fingers and hands developed the tingling. At three months of taking the drug, swallowing became very difficult. Food would get stuck in my throat and I would not be able to talk or dislodge food. Then, the insomnia started. I would wake at about 2 am and not be able to go back to sleep for several hours. Always tired, then would want to eat. I gained 20 pounds in a couple of months. When I would wake in the night because my arms would be asleep, that was the last straw. I stopped taking the drug and got a different prescription."

makeitso (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been on 50mg of Toprol/Metoprolol for 12 years, along with 2.5 mg Amlodopine, 81 mg Aspirin and 80 mg Atorvastatin; I'm pleased to say my BP is regularly in the 130/70 range, pulse 58-63 and I have had ABSOLUTELY no negative side effects!"

ArmyBlue (taken for 10 years or more) April 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I do not like this medicine I have gained a lot of weight, runny nose, tired all the time and very bad and crazy dreams."

Wykesha March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been on metoprolol 100mg once a day a year ago never had side effects now since my BP has been ok around 120/83-130/95 it's been lowered to 25mg an I've been having side effects such as low heart rate sometimes as low as 52 bpm really concerned about it other than that metroprolol has worked for me is this normal?"

Ashley1217 March 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "Works well with rapid heart beat caused by "Dumping Syndrome" which began after having very major surgery on my Stomach and Duodenam. The name of the surgery was Pyloroplasty, Vagotomy (severing the vagus nerve) and Hiatel Hernia repair back in 1985, followed by removal of my Gallbladder and appendix two years later which exacerbated the effects of rapid heart beat. Metoprolol along with Ativan sublingual, keeps the "Dumping Syndrome" in check most of the time, until I eat something that doesn't agree with my anatomy, (Creamy sauces, alchohol, milk, etc.)"

TOJO54 March 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking metoprolol for around 2 years, just recently going from 50mg to 100mg. My BP was crazy high with tachycardia quite bad beforehand. They have helped me a hell of a lot but l do have tiredness almost daily. I had no tachycardia bouts until recently and also weird fluttering feeling over the past few weeks. BP was still up a little so my doc has advised me to take 100mg which l have only started taking over the past 24 hours. So far no fluttering or palpitation feeling! I also no longer suffer with migraines!!!"

becca rae (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "Reading the mixed reviews here, the first thing that jumped out was people have problems swallowing. This has happened to me quite a bit recently, using metroprolol succ ER 25 mg daily, for about 2 years now. I did have great success in reducing my pulse (130 resting pulse for 20 years, adjust to 90 now). Overall I was happy with it, but now somewhat concerned with long term use."

edson boston March 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Loss of sexual appetite, tingling fingers."

MARK Kar March 8, 2017