User Reviews for Metoprolol

Also known as: Lopressor, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Toprol-XL

Learn more about Metoprolol.

Migraine Prevention 9 reviews 29 medications

Atrial Fibrillation 50 reviews 39 medications

Heart Attack 9 reviews 121 medications

Summary of Metoprolol reviews 283 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Metoprolol

For High Blood Pressure: "At first Metropolol seemed to work. Blood pressure was down, heart rate 55 beats per min. The longer I took the drug, the more side effects. at two months, my feet and legs developed tingling and numbness. Then, my fingers and hands developed the tingling. At three months of taking the drug, swallowing became very difficult. Food would get stuck in my throat and I would not be able to talk or dislodge food. Then, the insomnia started. I would wake at about 2 am and not be able to go back to sleep for several hours. Always tired, then would want to eat. I gained 20 pounds in a couple of months. When I would wake in the night because my arms would be asleep, that was the last straw. I stopped taking the drug and got a different prescription."

makeitso (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 14, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been on 50mg of Toprol/Metoprolol for 12 years, along with 2.5 mg Amlodopine, 81 mg Aspirin and 80 mg Atorvastatin; I'm pleased to say my BP is regularly in the 130/70 range, pulse 58-63 and I have had ABSOLUTELY no negative side effects!"

ArmyBlue (taken for 10 years or more) April 10, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I do not like this medicine I have gained a lot of weight, runny nose, tired all the time and very bad and crazy dreams."

Wykesha March 24, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I've been on metoprolol 100mg once a day a year ago never had side effects now since my BP has been ok around 120/83-130/95 it's been lowered to 25mg an I've been having side effects such as low heart rate sometimes as low as 52 bpm really concerned about it other than that metroprolol has worked for me is this normal?"

Ashley1217 March 24, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Works well with rapid heart beat caused by "Dumping Syndrome" which began after having very major surgery on my Stomach and Duodenam. The name of the surgery was Pyloroplasty, Vagotomy (severing the vagus nerve) and Hiatel Hernia repair back in 1985, followed by removal of my Gallbladder and appendix two years later which exacerbated the effects of rapid heart beat. Metoprolol along with Ativan sublingual, keeps the "Dumping Syndrome" in check most of the time, until I eat something that doesn't agree with my anatomy, (Creamy sauces, alchohol, milk, etc.)"

TOJO54 March 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking metoprolol for around 2 years, just recently going from 50mg to 100mg. My BP was crazy high with tachycardia quite bad beforehand. They have helped me a hell of a lot but l do have tiredness almost daily. I had no tachycardia bouts until recently and also weird fluttering feeling over the past few weeks. BP was still up a little so my doc has advised me to take 100mg which l have only started taking over the past 24 hours. So far no fluttering or palpitation feeling! I also no longer suffer with migraines!!!"

becca rae (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 15, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "Reading the mixed reviews here, the first thing that jumped out was people have problems swallowing. This has happened to me quite a bit recently, using metroprolol succ ER 25 mg daily, for about 2 years now. I did have great success in reducing my pulse (130 resting pulse for 20 years, adjust to 90 now). Overall I was happy with it, but now somewhat concerned with long term use."

edson boston March 9, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Loss of sexual appetite, tingling fingers."

MARK Kar March 8, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Angina: "This drug has literally changed my life in a very short time. I was having horrible chest pains, with a mixture of general anxiety due to work/home stress. Cardiologist found source of my chest pain is a narrowed subclavian artery. The chest pain completely stopped within 24 hours. The only real side effect is difficulty sleeping if instructed to take it at night. I switched to taking it first thing in the morning and I now sleep like a baby. I give it a 9/10 solely for that side effect. I did feel very lethargic when I first took it, but that went away completely after 2 days or so once my body got used to the meds. I feel much more calm than I did before so this medication has really changed the way I feel. improvement is noticeable"

McGizzle March 7, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I had several trips to the Hospital for GERD Attacks. The doctor said it was cause of the Metoprolol. My doctor changed it and I had no more Gerd Attacks."

alexis7092 March 6, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "After I started to to this I couldn't see, Heart was racing, arms and legs were numb, and I went from over 181/100 to 105/79 and lite Head."

Azdal February 24, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "My BP is sometimes still a bit high. I have some eye strain, but the worst thing is the strange, vivid dreams that occur nightly. I used to take a different beta blocker, but the insurance company won't cover it."

The Bell (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 23, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I have rapid heartbeat and afib."

Lulu bug February 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I was prescribed this medicine just before my triple by-pass heart surgery in April 2014 and it has worked fairly good for my high blood pressure and has worked wonders for my aura type migraine problem. I was having up to 5 migraine spells per week before my surgery to none since my surgery when I started taking Metoprolol. I am very grateful the migraine problem has been reduced to almost none. I do have a few side-effects from this drug, but I can tolerate them ok. Nothing could be as bad as those migraines I had, so the side-effects don't bother me."

Oldmanwinter (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "I was on 50 mg's of Metropolol twice per day and had a few high readings of 200/80 due to anxiety. Doctor raised me to 100 ER twice per day plus Lorsartan. I feel like a zombie. It has lowered my BP but I have several side effects listed such as dizziness, tiredness, confused at times, dry mouth, burping and a few other side effects. I have been on this high dose of ER for 10 days and I don't think I will be able to take this drug in such a high dose much longer. The doctor wants me to go for heart tests to find out why my pressure went so high. High blood pressure runs in my family and I could stand to lose 20 pounds which I am trying to do."

Hope to feel better soon February 21, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Stay away from this drug. Real bad side effects. Tired all day. Anxiety, panic attacks. Can't breath. Short of breath. Feels like your organs is shutting down slowly. They should lock the Drs up for prescribing this Poison medicine. Wow. I thought I was dying. And I think I came close. It messes with your eye sight and all. If you die and take this medicine. Its the reason. They will say you died from natural causes to stop a law suit. But this medicine is dangerous. I wad only taking half of 25mg dang near killed me"

Liladrian (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2017

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Benign Essential Tremor: "I use this both for high blood pressure and for tremors caused by my mood stabilizers. If I miss my dose by even a few hours I notice the tremors become quite quickly worse than while on metoprolol. Works well, but not perfectly. Definitely would be completely miserable and quite debilitated without it."

Justj3n1ca (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I started 25 mgs of this drug on 1/16/2017 around lunch time and by dinner I was having esphogael spasms that I mistook for heart issues and my swallow reflex got progressively worse and by Friday of that week was choking on chicken broth. I've never had a problem eating or swallowing in my life. The cardiologist I was seeing ignored me and said that's not a side effect. After two ERr trips w what felt like my throat closing was told to half the pill and wean off, because the drug was causing my issues. I took it for 3 weeks and have been off now now for 10 days but still can't eat. had an endoscopy and they found there is little to no pressure in esophagus & attribute this to the drug. Terrified I'm permanently damaged."

HungryInDallas (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Don't take this medication it has too many side effects that can harm you. Try to alter your life style and diet . Causes severe stomach pain, fatigue, increased urination, etc. Best to see a MD that takes a more holistic approach instead of pushing pill. Drug reps give kick backs to doctors for pushing their medications. Lobster dinners etc. I know I went to some of the dinners, It is a crime that pills are prescribed for so many people with side effects that can kill you or destroy your liver or pancreas. You are better off dealing with the high blood pressure than the side effects."

WLI (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 15, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Heart Failure: "This medication has ruined my quality of life, tired, hungry, hopeless feeling. Haven't had a love life in months. Also, my feet have swelled up so much I can't walk."

Duckeer (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I run regularly and have a resting heart rate in the low 50's. I'm 56 years old and have been on metoprolol for about 3 years until last week. I also recently gave up caffeine. Last week I was sitting with a client and fainted. After a trip to the ER and an overnight hospital stay, I learned it may not be a good idea for anyone who runs regularly with a low resting heart rate to take a beta blocker. It could've have been a much more expensive lesson 20 minutes earlier while I was driving. Now I am searching for the best BP medicine for runners.. Any suggestion would be appreciated."

Andy1960 February 13, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "I started taking this on December 27th. Took it for almost 2 weeks. Woke up first night with shakes and nausea and they got worse from there. Have been off of it for about 4 weeks and still having trouble with shakes, nausea and muscle cramps in my feet and legs. Doctor has given me anxiety medicine lorazepam and it helps but don't like being dependent on it. My OB doctor has put me on estrogen on top of that. Don't know what to do to get back to normal."

Sorry I took this! (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Angina: "I had a quadruple bypass and I have been taking metropolol for 9 years now and have just recently had to up my dose to 50 milligrams 3 times a day because I moved to a high altitude location. This drug has worked for me just fine and I never want to switch. Hope it helps someone else out there."

midsis January 25, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "maximal given dose to me was 200mg / day (4x50mg) No answer, since bringing in Propafenon after starting propafenon my dose metoprolol is reduced to 100 mg / day. which has been a success, one problem , when taking metoprolol I cant stop eating :D after stopping metoprolol (switched to bisoprolol) have lost 13 kg 18 male here"

DzoNI (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "66 yo Male. Taking 25 mg 1 x day for starters. Slight unsteadiness on my feet while walking. Occasional anxiety attacks that last about 1/2 minute. Has not had any effect on sexual performance, in fact I think it has helped. Better than lisinopril (bad heartburn and stomach burning) and Calan."

Jim0523 (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017