User Reviews for Metoprolol

Also known as: Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Toprol-XL, Lopressor, Kapspargo Sprinkle

Metoprolol has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 476 ratings on Drugs.com. 41% of those users who reviewed Metoprolol reported a positive effect, while 30% reported a negative effect.

Angina Pectoris Prophylaxis   9.0
Aortic Aneurysm  Off-label 3.0
Summary of Metoprolol reviews 5.9 476 reviews

Reviews for Metoprolol

Lou · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2021

For Atrial Fibrillation: “In Sept had a stroke which led me to cardiologist. Had all the tests, eventually diagnosed with afib. Dec 28 hospitalized for heart and COVID. A small vessel in heart had a clot, dissolved with thinners. Feb 16 can't breathe, go to ER get emergency cardioversion (paddle shock to heart) on metoprolol 50 mg 3x a day. Absolutely feel awful, and cut the pill in half and 2x day and still bad side effects. Can't sleep. Nod off mid sentence, can hardly walk to bathroom, shaky, extreme lethargy, headache 2-3 hours after taking drug. The worst symptom- I can't breathe, extreme brachardia. The Dr changes the drug or I get new dr. BP this morning before meds 59.”

Redd February 26, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “This is the worst. Metoprolol 100mg Doesn't work. VA Dr Switched me to it. My BP went from 120/80. To 180/115 to 212/ 120. Going nack to amoldipine/altace.”

Tommy February 22, 2021

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: “I have been on 50mg of metoprolol tartrate 2x a day for 10 years and it controls my afib pretty good. The last month I've had 2 episodes each lasted 3 days, which I've never had an episode last this long, bumped up dosage to 75 mg which doctors have told me it's ok to do if I'm in afib. In the past this has gotten my heart back in rhythm, but doesn't seem to have the same effect these last two episodes. Not sure what's putting me in afib, going to see doctor this week.”

Mommabear77 February 10, 2021

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: “I am 29 f. I developed Graves’ disease/hyperthyroidism after baby. When my Endo put me on propranolol for the fast heart rate hyperthyroidism gives I was relieved! But once my thyroid was in normal range I asked to be taken off due to it making my already lower BP, very low. So, I got off and I noticed I still had fast HR and ignored it since this is something I was used to since I was a teen.. I finally got tired and pushed for answers since my Endo was concerned it would eventually cause heart damage working too hard.. so I of course freaked out.. I was diagnosed with inappropriate sinus tachycardia and put on metoprolol and 5 months in on half of 25 mgs I’m very short of breath since Christmas (NOT COVID), dizzy, beyond a normal tired, extremely cold, lack of drive”

Anthony February 9, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I took toporol er and my blood pressure went up instead of down after 6 hours it was 180/105. Pharmacist said it was an adverse reaction. I had the same issue with propranolol 5 years ago. They are both beta blockers. Didn’t work for me.”

Thecaregiver · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 3, 2021

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: “My husband has been on Toprol XL for over a year. Started on 100mg for very high BP. Also on Atacand 4mg for mild left heart Failure. Now reduced to 50 mg alternate days. Side effects, Severe Peyronie's disease and loss of libido. Fullness in stomach and loss of appetite. Various aches and pains, swelling in hands and others random areas. Seems to get a rebound effect of breathlessness or its just a side effect. BP is good in low 120/65. May try cutting in half to 25mg a day. Dr prescribed a different Beta Blocker that has worse side effects so he hasn't filled that out. Also its only available as Generic which from his experience with Metaprolol it was worse. He gets the brand Drugs through Canada.”

Nikki · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 1, 2021

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: “BP is spiking especially when I’m asleep 160/110 It’s been in this range off and on number of years. Just out of the blue it spikes. Actually called for medical assistance to verify my BP readings was correct. Extremely high. Today, same. Called Cardiologist need to make some changes quick b4 I stroke out. Terrible experiences with this so called med. The lack of efficacy is stressing me out.”

A · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 28, 2021

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “metoprolol worked well for me I guess my problem was adrenaline causing my SVT it would happen when I was sleep deprived and having a panic attacks usually verapamil didn’t help as much but I think this drug cured the issue for me only side effects I have noticed is feeling more lazy but you can live with it. For reference I have had 4 bad SVT attacks and I get panic attacks almost everyday but been taking it for a few weeks and if it was gonna happen there is a few times it would have happened before. I recommend this treatment also other negatives says your not supposed to take Benadryl while on this medicine cause it may lower your blood pressure and I rely on that to sleep but every solution breeds a new problem”

Kasey · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 16, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I started taking Metoprolol one month ago and everything was going good until a couple of weeks ago. I started having vivid dreams, insomnia, numbness in the extremities, tingling and burning on my face and legs. I called my provider and he wanted me to come in to get a blood pressure check because of the numbness in my left hand. My blood pressure was within normal range and so was my pulse. My provider decided to keep me on the medication because it was lowering my bp and pulse. I go back in two weeks, but I’m going to recommend he prescribe me something else. Help”

Catkop · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 13, 2021

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: “I recently switched from 50mg to two 25mg tablets of generic Metoprolol Succinate ER. Within days I was having constant panic attacks and it felt more difficult to breathe despite decent pulse odometer readings. The company has had issues with poor quality since 2007. Beware and ask for non generic is my recommendation.”

Stressed out nurse · Taken for less than 1 month January 7, 2021

For Premature Ventricular Depolarizations: “No prior history of cardiac issues or anxiety, 30 yr old female, been working through COVID as a nurse, unsure if I ever had COVID. Was recently diagnosed with “stress induced” pvc/pac’s, symptomatic and pretty frequent but not enough to require any immediate treatment when I went to the ER. Thought it was anxiety then it persisted every couple minutes a swift kick to my chest, losing my breath, so I gave in after almost a day of relaxation techniques. ER doc started me on metoprolol. Awful. They helped the symptoms but I felt like rubbish. Dizzy, tired, my vitals were fine but just that 10-15 point drop in my blood pressure was giving me headaches and dizziness affecting me! My resting HR was 50’s which was concerning at first but I was asymptomatic so no issue, gave me anxiety tho and made me restless at night. Started on 50mg, was only taking 25mg by the end of it after 2 weeks and was switched to propranolol. Much better after a couple days of that med, way less symptoms.”

jarhead · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 5, 2021

Lopressor (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: “I was placed on Lopressor in the early 80's and was on it for about 3 years. After roughly 2 years I started to tire easily, lost interest in things in general, my personality and outlook changed to to being very negative and I was diagnosed with clinical depression. Counselling and medications didn't not help at all and it wasn't until my wife saw an article in a medical journal the stated that some patients who had been on Lopressor for 2 -3 years became clinically depressed. We showed the article to my Physician and he changed me to another prescription. It took about 4 weeks for me to get back to normal. I am now on amplodine/benazapril whic is working very well for me.”

Shellz · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 3, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I am a 49 yrs. Recently I experienced tachycardia & BP was up. Dr. said thyroid med needed adjusting. 2 months ago while awaiting diagnostics, he put me on 25mg Metoprolol. It lowered heart rate & BP, BUT week #1 of this med was awful. I was nauseous & tired. By week 3 nausea had subsided somewhat but my eyes became unbearably itchy. I also thought I was having heartburn but that evolved into episodes of burning chest pains. A few nights I considered going to the ER because I feared a heart attack. It was hard to get to sleep & stay sleep. I am used to regular workouts but had low energy. I skipped a day’s dose yesterday and feel incredibly better already. I have an appointment with my cardiologist in 2 days. I am going to be adamant about an explanation and modification to my med regimen! I have never had a med make me feel this sick. It managed my heart rate & BP well but the intense side effects are not worth it. I wasn’t able to function normally.”

Tena · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 30, 2020

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: “In May of 2020, while in the hospital for knee replacement, I went into SVT heart rate of 200, I was put on metoprolol succ er 50, in August of 2020 I had SVT ablation, was ok up until Dec 2020, I had a sleep study test, no sleep apnea thank goodness, but my heart rate went up to 240. I have been having palpitations, very jittery all of a sudden, has anyone had a similar experience? I will see cardiologist end of the week.”

MW · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 25, 2020

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: “I have been on this drug for 2 years. I have ringing ears, blurred vision, bloated feeling all the time and gained 15 pounds. I'm going to get off this drug. I have taken 50mg twice a day. The first year I also had dizziness issues when getting up from a lying position. Not to mention diarrhea. This is a horrible drug.”

Jim · Taken for less than 1 month December 12, 2020

For Heart Failure: “I took this drug for a few days and had every side effect listed on the info sheet. Severe chills, panic attacks, and others listed on the sheet. Can not take this at all.”

Ash December 2, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “After having my last child , I was diagnosed with Postpartum thyroiditis in April and placed on metoprolol 25mg BID . At first it was helping with my increased heart rate and elevated BP. Symptoms were mild at first , dizziness, shakiness, and cold extremities. I have been to the ER several times have due to SOB or feeling like I couldn’t catch my breathe. They found nothing. I recently went two weeks ago for GERD and feeling SOB. After reading all the reviews I’m seeing why . I am always tired , stuffy nose all the time, can’t sleep, and super depressed. Went to see the cardiologist and he told me to quit taking it because my heart is fine and BP is fine. I was scared but I stopped taking it one day ago and now when I get up to walk my HR is 120-135 . Resting is 90 ish. This medicine has done more harm to me than I’ve realized . I pray I can get pass this detox journey.”

Rambo · Taken for 10 years or more December 2, 2020

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: “I have been taking Metoprolol Tartrate 50mg BID for 10 years. Experiences are: Heart does not always rest long enough between beats, lack of sleep, memory loss, headaches, white pimple in mouth (just started a month ago), running nose, tiredness, low energy, constipation, shortness of breathe while resting, hypertension and aching feet. I will be 77 a few days from now. Found an OTC that can replace this drug, but must go off very slowly. All in all, this drug is now too strong for me as I will be talking with my heart doctor very soon.”

marcosmos747 · Taken for less than 1 month November 29, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I had open heart surgery for Anomalous Origin of the Right Coronary Artery and they gave this medication plus a plethora of others, and this one is the worst I’ve ever had, It get aches and can’t sleep(it’s a quarter to 5 am cause I can’t sleep right now. I also feel cold even when I’m sweating! I hate this drug and will stop cold turkey. The doctor said I need it but I’d like to see her try it and endured the side effects.”

Chris November 15, 2020

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I have been placed on this medication metoprolol only four days ago and I noticed a huge difference in my heart rate. I have supraventricle tachycardia and my heart rate went up to 272 bpm this past Thursday during a stress echo test. They had to administer adesonine to slow my heart down and was sent to hospital by ambulance. I am hoping I can put that all behind me now with this life saving medication!”

Mgbuy · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 4, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “Been on this medication for 2.5 months and it makes me feel bad. Memory lacking, headache and depressed. Only take 12.5 daily. BP and heart rate low. I guess its working but makes you feel sick.”

Mom · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 25, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “I started take metoprolol 25mg ER after a heart attack. The 25mg lowered my heart rate to where I was tired and dizzy. Now I take 1/2 (12.5 mg) pill once in the morning, feel good and have had 1 minor migraine in 3 1/2 years. Prior to the heart attack I was having bouts of migraines, a new migraine daily for 3-4 days, about once a month.”

The 29yr old · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 28, 2020

For Heart Failure: “So I've been on metoprolol for over a year. Not knowing until very recently that this medicine has been giving me horrible side effects the entire time. Within the last 6 months those side effects worsened to the point of dropping my BP so low that I felt dumb or slow, confused, couldn't think straight, almost in a dream like daze. Problems sleeping, anxiety went through the roof, panic attacks multiple times a day, pain in my chest, pain in my arm, short of breath laying down, just all the way around feeling OFF. Would give this medicine 0/10 also I only take 25mg and this medicine seems to very dramatically affect me when I mess with the dosing. Also it has been dropping my BP to 80/60 an when that happens is when all of the symptoms get exaggerated”

Lynn · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 18, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I had extreme high blood pressure and arythmia, my ears were ringing and I had blackouts. I was told my insurance will only cover the metoprolol XL 200 mg . I only take a half everyday so 100 mg and I'm always tired and have to drink red bull to drive so its defeating the purpose. I am a 30 year old woman and have gained around 40 pounds on this medication. I was never told this will happen and when I go to dr they just say exercise, well I do it's the medicine not me . I have swollen ankles and worse a giant water belly it high up and awkward and has ruined my life and made me buy plus size clothes and wrap it up like a wound it's big and swollen I'm quitting this rubbish today.”

Nim · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 18, 2020

For Premature Ventricular Depolarizations: “Works wonders for my PVCs”