User Reviews for Metoprolol to treat Heart Attack

Also known as: Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Lopressor, Toprol-XL, Kapspargo Sprinkle

Metoprolol has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 11 ratings for the treatment of Heart Attack. 36% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 18% reported a negative effect.

Metoprolol Rating Summary

5.8/10 average rating

Compare all 98 medications used in the treatment of Heart Attack.

Reviews for Metoprolol

Reverend · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 13, 2020

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol): “Greetings:, I have been on metoprolol tartrate for years now for coronary artery bypass graft (CABG), and I love it, they have "tried" me on "Others", But Besides That "LOW" Feeling, it's O.K., I just think they need to tailor, and (or) tweak my dose 50MG's X 2 A day, But besides that I'm sold!”

Too young for all this... December 31, 2019

“HA with one stent in LAD and was prescribed Metoprolol and Brilinta. A week later the side effects all kicked in: shooting chest pains, racing heart, chest/arms/legs tingling, jitteriness and anxiety. I felt like I was having another HA so spent the weekend in the ER where they didn't find anything wrong. My GP prescribed anxiety meds which provided some helped a bit. After a month of complaining to my cardiologist, they finally took me off of metoprolol and the anxiety, jitters and racing heart rate went away. I was still getting chest pains, shortness of breath, and was feeling nauseous. Another month and I convinced my Dr to switch from Brilinta to Effient and the remaining side effects went away. I'm finally starting to feel normal. Not all Drs are open to modifying patients meds which can be a real issue if you are experiencing negative side effects so please advocate for yourself.”

Eugene · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 11, 2019

“I've been taking 50MG daily (25MG twice daily) since my heart attack and quadruple bypass in March 2018. The only side effect that I've seen is that my voice gets hoarse very easily. My Dr says it isn't the Metoprolol, but from my research (googling), it seems that it can be a side-effect. and I don't think it's the lisinopril, lipitor, nor plavix.”

Rob_B62 July 28, 2014

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol): “I'm a 52 YO male in fairly good shape. I started taking Metoprolol, 50mg twice a day after suffering a cardiac arrest earlier this year, in April. It has been very effective in controlling my blood pressure and keeping my heart rate low. The side effects are becoming unbearable now though. I'm tired, and have a lot of trouble focusing on my work during the day, have a lot of restless nights of tossing and turning, and have now developed a rash under my arms. I think it also contributes to erectile dysfunction. I spoke to my cardiologist about all this today, and he's cutting my dose in half. I'm hoping some of these side effects will diminish when I cut down to 25mg twice a day.”

borrisbb · Taken for 10 years or more December 26, 2014

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol): “I've been taking metoprolol for about 12 years now, 1 in the morning and 1 at night for the first 7 years and then dropped it to 1 morning and half at night and for the last 2 years. I've been on half morning and half at night, my heart rate was too low but apart from that I have had no other problems.”

Anonymous February 27, 2011

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): “Make sure you review your dosage with the doctor. As the others stated, it will make you tired and lethargic. It also has had an effect on my ability to have a discussion without forgetting a word or two. My doctor gave me a dosage of 100mg/2x daily. I wound up back in the hospital due to my heart rate being a low 32 beats per minute. The hospital treated it as a failure with the original stent and went back in to check the previous operation. That was over a year ago. We tweaked the prescription down to 50 mg once a day, but I never got out of the lethargic state.”

Giles Habibula · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 13, 2017

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol): “Had a quintuple bypass surgery in August 2015 following a massive heart attack in May of 2015, during which I "died" for three minutes immediately after arriving at the ER. I had suffered severe chest pain for two hours before going to the ER, which was stupid of me. I have been on Metoprolol Tartrate for 2.5 years now. 25 mg. twice daily. It seems to work fine, as my blood pressure is consistently around 116 over 64, and my heart rate is 54 BPM at last check-up two months ago. Before my heart attack, it was around 150 over 80, so a vast improvement there. I also am on a low dose (10 mg. daily) of Lisinopril, so that may help as well. The only side effect I am experiencing is severe exhaustion following a 10-hour shift at work. Age 57.”

BenB July 30, 2015

“Began 6 months after attack a very low dose (1/2 per day of smallest dosage pill) Began sleeping 12 to 16 hours each day. Also, seemed not to care about anything- said inappropriate comments, pulled out into traffic recklessly, and damaged gardening equipment. Nothing seriously bad happened but I had to learn to concentrate differently. After three years I had a number of concerns and stopped taking this med- sexual desire increased as did erections, urine stream strong, fewer trips to the bathroom, and I care about the future again. With all that said - I think Metoprolol helped me to recover and I began taking it again, but I am going to talk to my doctor about discontinuing it.”

Rob_B62 September 23, 2015

“I previously posted over a year ago on this subject. After nine months of taking 50mg/day, my cardiologist dropped me down to 25mg, once per day of Metoprolol Succinate. I'd like to be med-free, but I don't know if it is possible at this point. I'm walking/jogging 15-18 miles per week, and in better shape now than I've ever been. I feel great most of the time, but still get extremely tired. I don't know if that's the drug, or just natural aging. :)”

Anonymous May 23, 2011

“I take metoprolol tartrate not metoprolol with hydrochlorthiazide, however I have noticed a marked frequency of urination and polyuria after starting this medication. My doctor suspected a urinary tract infection (although I am not experiencing dysuria, fever, chills or having any other typical UTI symptoms). Urinalysis was negative, prostate exam was negative, cystoscopy was negative. The medicine is doing what it is supposed to be doing, but having to urinate every two hours around the clock is certainly interfering with my sleep. I did find a reference on Drugs.com that said increased urination was a rarely encountered side effect of this drug, but my doctors insist it doesn't have that side effect and I have spent a fortune ruling out other conditions.”

Ken · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 19, 2019

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol): “I was put on metoprolol in 2010 25mg twice a day. I have just slowly tapered myself off. I wanna tell you I haven't felt this good in 9 years. I wished I had never taken it seriously”

Dan-o · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 17, 2015

“I guess it's working alright but I am very very tired all the time :(”

Anonymous April 10, 2009

“Initially, I was put on this for regulation of the heart. Have since found out that my doctor didn't want me to take anymore because I have severe low pressure.”

Robbit · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 7, 2016

“Difficulty swoallowing,difficulty with speech”

Learn more about Heart Attack