User Reviews for Warfarin

Deep Vein Thrombosis Prophylaxis after Hip Replacement Surgery 3.0
Summary of Warfarin reviews 8.2 47 reviews

Reviews for Warfarin

Scotty · Taken for 10 years or more March 1, 2020

Coumadin (warfarin) for Deep Vein Thrombosis, First Event: “Put on Coumadin in 2008 after DVT, which ultimately turned out to have been caused by a hereditary clotting disorder (Factor V Leiden). No problems or side effects since, works like a charm. I self test every 2 weeks with Roche PT/INR handheld blood test kit, and manage to stay in therapeutic range about 95% of the time. Couldn’t ask for much better!”

bobbie January 19, 2020

For Heart Attack: “my late wife had been on warfarin for a number of years. What looked like bruises showed up on the back of both legs below the knees. The "bruises" eventually became open sores and would not heal -calciflaxis. The sores opened up around mid April 2019 and she passed away late August 2019. The wounds DR. that was treating the open wounds did tell my wife that "you may die from this type of problem as the blood vessels are calcifying". The Dr. she saw for possible kidney problems immediately placed her on a different blood thinner as he said "I see cases of this only in patients that are on dialysis".”

Tom · Taken for 10 years or more January 13, 2020

For Prosthetic Heart Valves, Mechanical Valves - Thrombosis Prophylaxis: “Have been on warfarin for 28 years. I have a St Jude mitral valve prosthesis. Other than bruising, I have gotten along well.”

Danny’s Girl · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 17, 2019

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “Have been on Warfarin for nearly 7 years. My INR is usually between 2 and 3 which it’s supposed to be. Due to circumstances it has fluctuated between 3.1 and 1.8 recently. This is due to a change in diet and activity levels because of serious family medical issues. So I say to you, it really does matter a lot what you do. The other thing is that I get large purple-red bruises on the top of my hands & arms.”

Shortbread 53 · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 4, 2019

For Pulmonary Embolism, First Event: “Have been on warfarin for about 10 years now ever since being in a coma for 2 weeks on life support on the verge of death from 3 blood clots in my left lung. I don't remember being told if I had had a stroke or not, but upon coming out of the coma, my hands, arms, and, legs were paralyzed and upon being medically stabilized was sent to rehab to regain the use of my limbs. Warfarin has its drawbacks of constant monitoring, but it has served me well, and though there are newer anticoagulants on the market that they say don't require the testing, I just would not trust them to be consistent with the job they were supposed to be doing, so I would rather stay on warfarin with the testing for a monitoring process. That's just the way I see it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!”

Confused · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 15, 2018

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “As a result of a stroke and AF I was put on Warfarin ten years ago. Apart from some bruising and keeping track of my INR I have no probs. For convenience my doctor has recently changed me to Eliquis but I’m not happy with it. Side affects: loss of appetite, dry mouth , incontinence, dizziness, tiredness. I’ll be going back to my doctor.”

Pleskee · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 22, 2018

Coumadin (warfarin) for Pulmonary Embolism, First Event: “Been on medication now for 3 yrs, started out being tired, fatigued as time has gone by now starting to experience bad dreams early mornings, had one time rectal bleeding, otherwise it is helping me. ”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more October 9, 2017

For Prosthetic Heart Valves, Mechanical Valves - Thrombosis Prophylaxis: “13 years usage. That is a lot of lab tests. I try to not change eating habits but mess up from time to time and then it affects my INR”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 6, 2017

Coumadin (warfarin) for Deep Vein Thrombosis Prophylaxis after Hip Replacement Surgery: “It helped me have a stroke faster while I was active and out going left me in a wheelchair with double the pain between my affected side and my back. NO good. Changed my life and my family lives also”

chipeto · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 14, 2017

For Heart Attack: “This was recommended to my brother in law last year and he almost died from it, severe and I mean severe diarrhea, falling all over the place, it was terrible then my sister told the clinic she would not let him take any more and from that day he just improved back to his normal self, in December last year 2016, my sister had a mild heart attack and she is now on Warfarin, she has exactly the same symptoms though not as bad, I have urged her to take it up with her own GP which she will do in three days time, what I don't understand is every "specialist" says that you should avoid Aspirin when taking Warfarin so why do they prescribe them together? STRANGE”

Foxglove_66 · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 26, 2016

For Antiphospholipid Syndrome: “I found this today be a lifesaver, but at the same time it has cut years off what life I had. I have aged faster, have little energy to do things, my INR is not very stable, my memory is not what it once was (I used to be called a walking phonebook/dictionary by my ex), etc. Now all of these things MAY be attributed to something else, but I have my sincere doubts.”

Coumadinforlife July 2, 2016

For Deep Vein Thrombosis, First Event: “I did not realize that warfarin would have this side effect of hair loss. I take 15 mg three times a week, and ten milligrams for four days. My hair has not come out in clumps; however, I do notice my scalp. This is my 5.5 years if Coumadin and Lovenox. I started when I was 34 and now 40...for life. I hope I do not lose clumps, but I mask it with a hair cut...just tell myself I am taking rat poison. I am allergic to all the new drugs. Doing better than most of you, but when I developed a blood clot in my underarm and two veins deep in my chest...no surgery...took 2 years to actually eliminate the clot, but destroyed my left side of my body”

mitral valve replaced 10 years · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 25, 2016

Coumadin (warfarin) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “Developed atrial flutter then atrial fibrillation several years post-op. This and beta-blocker really straightened it out. Cardiologist took me off Coumadin a few years ago for a month. He had to put me back on it due to flutter that just wouldn't quit... took a few weeks to straighten me out again. It was his idea, not mine. Only drawback is monitoring amount of green vegetables eaten every day and need a PT drawn every 2 weeks or so.”

Hilary gould May 19, 2016

For Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “Caused extreme pain in arms legs joints disappeared after changing to pradaxa”

Normsie April 27, 2016

For Antiphospholipid Syndrome: “I am thinking faster and have less pains in my legs and chest.”

amir sedghie · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 6, 2015

For Prosthetic Heart Valves, Mechanical Valves - Thrombosis Prophylaxis: “I'm taking it for 3years without any outstanding side effect.thank to God and my surgeon that I am still alive.”

hippiejim · Taken for less than 1 month April 21, 2015

Coumadin (warfarin) for Deep Vein Thrombosis Prophylaxis after Knee Replacement Surgery: “Broken femur resulted in blood clots that caused life threatening embolism. I was given the generic warfarin and rapidly devoped THRUSH. Switched to brand name COUMADIN and recovered after 9 days in hospital.”

rellim htennek March 5, 2015

For Heart Attack: “Dad has been on warfarin/Coumadin for over 10 years. He started taking it after he had a triple bypass. He has since had two stents, one at a time. He is 83 years old, and has been getting along great. He recently got sick, went to hospital. All of his symptoms could have been side affects from the warfarin. The doctors would not put down a reason for his getting ill. I would give warfarin a good rating. By the way, if you start interacting with cartoon characters on TV, or can watch a movie, just by closing your eyes, don't be alarmed. You're not alone. Just try to have fun with it. That's what dad does.”

Tsunamijim June 30, 2014

Coumadin (warfarin) for Deep Vein Thrombosis, Recurrent Event: “Was on Coumadin for 4 years. Walked away due to headaches daily. Got another clot. It may have been worth the couple months of no headaches, no fussy head, no feeling stupid, loosing my sight (which is old age, but still the timing), but the anxiety of knowing my body will clot along with a new clot put me back on Coumadin. Finally got the news about Xarelto. Life changing to say the least. No way to reverse dose, I take the risk for a better life. Besides the half life is only 5 to 9 hours for under 45 yr old and 11 to 13 hours for older. Take it with dinner and you are sleeping that whole time.”

Wendy wu · Taken for 10 years or more February 26, 2014

For Prosthetic Heart Valves, Mechanical Valves - Thrombosis Prophylaxis: “Haven't had a problem have been on warfarin for 10 years now.”

wjohns45 · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 20, 2013

For Pulmonary Embolism, First Event: “I am so thankful to be alive. I had a pulmonary embolism in Jan 2011. They had my family in family room, didn't expect me to survive. BUT, GOD said differently. I am so THANKFUL. ”

flapjack April 7, 2013

For Heart Attack: “Severe muscle pains especially in the neck and shoulder area”

tom36 · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 12, 2012

Jantoven (warfarin) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: “Been on Jantoven a number of years- no problem really. Have my INRs regularly every month. Usually between a 2-3 (as it should be). Would recommend.”

teeia50 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 12, 2012

For Pulmonary Embolism, Recurrent Event: “I have multi Blood Clots in both Lungs. I've been on Warfarin 5mg since Mar 2012, prior to that I had a blood clot in one lung back in 2007 following surgery. My experience has been devastating like a walking Time Boom. I'm Alive thanks to my Doctors and my meds. My INR ranges 2.0 / 3.2 I now get my Pro-Time check once monthly. However I'll be on warfarin for the rest of my Life. Just have to be extra careful on any other meds my Doctor puts me on.”

janny age 56. May 6, 2012

For Pulmonary Embolism, Recurrent Event: “I was 39 years old at my first clot after surgery. I went off Coumadin after a year. Then had a pulmonary embolism and was put back on Coumadin. My INRs had great fluctuations. I now have my own home Coagucheck and adjust my Coumadin with a Dr's supervision and no clot since. I have had side effects but no clots since then.”