User Reviews for Warfarin to treat Prosthetic Heart Valves, Mechanical Valves - Thrombosis Prophylaxis

Also known as: Coumadin, Jantoven

Warfarin has an average rating of 9.6 out of 10 from a total of 9 ratings for the treatment of Prosthetic Heart Valves, Mechanical Valves - Thrombosis Prophylaxis. 89% of those users who reviewed Warfarin reported a positive effect, while 0% reported a negative effect.

Warfarin Rating Summary

9.6/10 average rating

Compare all 21 medications used in the treatment of Prosthetic Heart Valves, Mechanical Valves - Thrombosis Prophylaxis.

OZPOMY · Taken for 10 years or more February 7, 2021

“I started warfarin in 2002 so been on Warfarin nearly 20 years , I get tested every 7-10 days , my INR changes like the wind , but have learned to live with it and sometimes change my own dose if I'm drinking”

Anonymous December 31, 2020

Coumadin (warfarin): “I had open heart surgery in 1973. A Bjork Shiley Steal Cage Ball Valves was implanted. I had some problems in the following years because of blood clots. I was put on the medication Coumadin and the problem was resolved. Jump forward to 2012. My insurance would not cover the medication, so my Doctors and I tried to switch to a generic (Warfarin). I was having complications with the Warfarin, so I was instructed to stay on "Name Brand" Coumadin and to never attempt to change to a generic again. Now Bristol Myers Squibb has discontinued making "Name Brand" Coumadin; therefore, I am being forced to make that change. When my supply runs out I will have to make that forced change! By the way the BMS manufacturer which supplied the USA is located in Puerto Rico. There is another location which supplies France, Germany, and Italy, but BMS will not tell me where it is and/or how to get the drug from them, where ever they are. Can anyone help me, any suggestions?”

Seanqu · Taken for 10 years or more October 2, 2020

Coumadin (warfarin): “I have a St Jude mitral valve prosthesis implanted 11/2002. I began anticoagulation therapy with Coumadin without any difficulty and a stable INR. Insurance company switched me to a generic warfarin with terrible results - headaches, unstable INR including emergency need for stomach shots to restore INR levels rapidly. My cardiologist switched me back to the brand only - Coumadin and for the past 16 years, I'm now 75 years, I have taken the same dosage with no negative side effects and a consistently stable INR averaging 2.5 for a therapeudic range of 2.0 - 3.0. Now Coumadin has been discontinued by Bristol Myers Squibb with no notice or explanation leaving me and others with no choice but to use generic warfarin. Why is this allowed to happen and why are we constantly told there is no difference between the brand and the generic when for a large number of patients this is simply not true. Will anyone help us?”

Dotty · Taken for 10 years or more August 10, 2020

Coumadin (warfarin): “Coumadin is the only drug that has worked for me in 23 years and NOW IT IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE because of Warfarin I had to be shocked back to life 3 times. Now I have been on put on Jantoven since June 22 2020 because I can no longer get Coumadin ... since then I have lost weight and appetite along with a bad cough with yellowed goop WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO? How has this happeden? when a drug works for people and then it is JUST STOPPED with no notice and the drugs that are available DON'T WORK then what?”

warfarin July 9, 2008

“It is very beneficial medicine for valve replacement patients. While taking this medicine outcome must be monitored carefully otherwise it may cause some harmful side effects but it helps to give a good quality of life”

Tom · Taken for 10 years or more January 13, 2020

“Have been on warfarin for 28 years. I have a St Jude mitral valve prosthesis. Other than bruising, I have gotten along well.”

Wendy wu · Taken for 10 years or more February 26, 2014

“Haven't had a problem have been on warfarin for 10 years now.”

amir sedghie · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 6, 2015

“I'm taking it for 3years without any outstanding side effect.thank to God and my surgeon that I am still alive.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more October 9, 2017

“13 years usage. That is a lot of lab tests. I try to not change eating habits but mess up from time to time and then it affects my INR”