User Reviews for Diltiazem

Also known as: Cardizem, Cardizem CD, Cardizem LA, Cardizem Monovial, Cardizem SR, Cartia XT, Dilacor XR, Dilt-XR, Diltia XT, Diltiazem Hydrochloride CD, Diltiazem Hydrochloride SR, Diltiazem Hydrochloride XR, Diltiazem Hydrochloride XT, Diltzac, Matzim LA, Taztia XT, Tiadylt ER, Tiazac …show all brand names

Raynaud's Syndrome

Atrial Flutter
5.9

Summary of Diltiazem reviews 6.9 102 reviews

Reviews for Diltiazem

For High Blood Pressure: "Diltiazem ER 120mg twice a day. I didn't really feel a difference, but more anxious. I also noticed my feet and some of my legs would turn red and feel hot while walking or standing in one spot for a while. When I sit down it subsided. Discomfort in my head while laying on pillow. I just got off this medication so hopefully all that goes away. It works for some and not for others so I don't bash this medication."

Josh (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2018

Tiazac (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: "I was on Cardizem for many years for hbp but has problems with tiredness. My cardiologist switched me to Tiazac 120 mg and recommended taking it before going to bed. It worked well; however, I have now been put on a blood thinner for AFib and am extremely tired, confused and listless. Still taking the Cardizem. Have a doctor appointment to see if I can get off the blood thinner. Have tried Pradaxa and now on Eliquis. Don't like what it has done to my personality and functioning."

PeeJay (taken for 10 years or more) July 19, 2018

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Had an afib event 3 years ago and diltiazem kept me out of afib. Now I have developed atrial flutter and the diltiazem doesn't keep me out of it. The cardiologist put me on flecainide while continuing with the diltiazem. I am scheduled for an ablation. I keep going into flutter and have to be electrically cardioverted."

Bigdaddy (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 11, 2018

Cardizem CD (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: "I developed white spots and sores in my mouth just a few days after starting this medication. I thought it was my partial plate doing it, made five trips to the dentist for adjustments, nothing worked, it just got worse. on an impulse I researched the side affects of this med, and there you go - white spots and sores in the mouth. The dentist started treating me for thrush, so now I am on steroids, and a mouth wash for that. Needless to say, I am no longer taking the med. I was also experiencing fatigue and dizziness."

chipind (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2018

Cartia XT (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: "Taking 120 mg of cartia XT for weaning off of a beta blocker for blood pressure. Sent me into tachycardia which woke me up to going 165 beats per minute. Never in my life have I had a heart issue. As I'm taking this medicine it gives me skipped beats which are definitely uncomfortable and I have this sinus congestion that has lead to a annoying cough. I'm hoping I can wean off this medicine and not have to deal with a racing heart. Also experiencing heightened anxiety with this medicine."

Cassyroach91 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "I started diltiazem 180mg a day a couple of weeks ago to treat inappropriate sinus tachycardia. On the first few days I noticed that when I stopped walking (even across the house) I would feel extremely dizzy. I also developed a weird numb tingly feeling in my extremities. Although these particular side effects have worn off within a few days, I continue to have other quite concerning side effects. I have noticed that I'm having significant difficulty getting to sleep as well as really strange, extremely vivid dreams when I do sleep. I have also become a ranting, raging mess. I also seem to be having very extreme mood swings, which are far more noticeable than my normal mood changes. These particular side effects are indeed becoming progressively worse as the days go by and although my heart rate has stabilised, I'm pretty certain that the benefits in this case aren't outweighing the risks."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2018

Cardizem CD (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: "HYPERTENSION DUE TO UNCONTROLLED INTRACTABLE PAIN. Enlarged Heart with small Mitral Valve leak. 30 mg x 2 per day. Worked well for about a month, then Extreme GI, and Eye Dryness occurred to the point it changed my vision and affected my receding gum lines. EVERY ONE OF THESE HYPERTENSION DRUGS HAVE GI SIDE EFFECTS AND DRYNESS that will affect your vision. Why can't I have what I really need PAIN CONTROL, then I wouldn't need a Hypertension drug."

Libby (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2018

Cartia XT (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: "Not really sure if this drug is for me. My blood pressure is still not normal and neither is my heart rate. It more likely raises it. Also occasional skipped beat feeling."

Cassyroach91 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2018

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Have been taking Cardizem since August for an episode of A-fib, heart rate of 190. Received heavy dosages of Cardizem by IV in hospital finally controlled. Since coming home the side effects are becoming unbearable. I have severe headaches, body aches and stiffness so bad I feel like I’m walking through water. Shortness of breath now so bad I can hardly catch my breath after walking out to get the mail. Brain fog, horrendous weight gain, depression and really depressive thoughts. Complaints to my Dr. are ignored. I am stopping this medication today. Hope I can return to normal living."

Magzmom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 16, 2018

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I've been taking this medication for 3 days now. It does lower my blood pressure but when I first take it my blood pressure goes up about 30 points. Gives me terrible anxiety and I break out into an Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT). The first day I took it I had a massive headache. I have terrible constipation as well. Short of breath and my bones ache which has never been the case before ever. I'm afraid to drive because I feel very light-headed and dizzy. I wish there was a better medication for this condition because this does not feel good."

RSouthwick (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2018

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "Hi i have inappropiate sinus tachycardia which I'm taking diltiazem 200mg, Indapamide 2.5mg, andatorvastatin and my heartrate is still 120 and I've taken these for 1 year."

Lynn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 10, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Cardiologist suggested switching now to Diltiazem for less side effects and Diltiazem would be better suited for my cardio profile. Started Diltiazem 240 mg's once daily five days ago. Day one and two felt like I was tipsy with a headache that would come and go. Red facial flushing. I made sure to drink a lot of water and stayed well hydrated, avoiding all caffeine. I stopped all vitamin supplements before starting so I could have only the one variable starting the diltiazem. I felt I could not safely drive/focus for the tipsy feeling and with the strange headaches. Day three, dizziness and noticeable swelling in calves/ankles and sinus stuffiness. Day four, bouts of spontaneous rapid heart beat, high pulse rate coming on like bursts of adrenaline out of the blue to the point where my hands would start to tremble and my legs felt weak just before the episode of rapid heart beat and at this point, my legs are getting rather puffy. I am stopping the pill completely."

Anonymous February 15, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Veins in leg ached and found where I had past surgery there was pain in the area this pill made me very hot for the first few hours, chronic low back pain, legs very heavy and feet bones very sore. Hands were bright red. I did help the bp however, I am super sensitive to drugs. This is my number 8 pill tried for my Blood pressure"

Cisi (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2018

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Diltiazem 300mg increased to 360mg Extreme breathless when doing anything physical. Two cardioversion for Afib. Didn't work.. BP lower .oxygen levels around. 90 to 92. Why am I so breathless? Have only taken for 4 days"

Snuffu (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2018

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Increases my systolic BP by 20 points. Gives me rapid heart. Doctors say this is not possible. They drive me crazy. I do not make this stuff up. I am very sensitive to many medications. I am going off it again. Was glad to see on here that another patient had increased BP."

30days January 22, 2018

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I am 31 years old and have been taking diltiazem 120 mg for 4 months now, after the other medications' side effects kept me from being able to function at home and work. It is partly effective at treating my supraventricular tachycardia, but it caused me to develop acne all over my chest, abdomen, shoulders and entire back. I have stop taking the medication 2 days ago to see if the acne begins to reside. I have a cardiac ablation scheduled for a week and a half from today, and will hopefully be off all medication if it is a successful procedure."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "Was taking 180mg for 2 weeks and was not getting a decrease in BP. Was really no difference from not taking any meds. I had heart flutters and body aches where I thought I had one of the worst fibromyalgia bouts ever. Doctor doubled my dose. In one week the body pains/aches worsened, my blood pressure went up, and my heart flutter worsened. Also gave me headaches and my nails have never grown so fast in my life! 1st day off Dilitiazem and my body aches are already going away as are the heart flutters. 3 weeks of unsatisfactory treatment and would not recommend this drug to anyone. Going to Atenolol."

OrcaBC (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "After two weeks on this medication, I have developed a terrible rash. The itching is unbelievable, I will not take another of these capsules regardless of the consequences. Be very aware of the side effects."

tazlhm (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2017

For Angina Pectoris Prophylaxis: "I have been on this drug 3 weeks, my reflux has been getting worse. I am back to Dr on Monday , I think I will need to go back to cardiologist as I am missing my left coronary artery and only have my right one for supporting me. I had been getting chest pain and after the angiogram I was started on this. Thankfully I do not have any blockage but need to protect the one artery that I have."

Redhead40 July 14, 2017

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I'm 40 yrs old, and have had around 10 episodes of aroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (psvt) in my lifetime. My heart rate gets up to around 250 beats per minute each episode. Before taking this medicine, I had to go to the emergency room, and get a shot of adenosine, to get my heart to slow down. I talked to my doctor about having to go to the emergency room each time, because I could do nothing to slow my heart rate on my own. She prescribed me cardizem 30 mg tablets, to take when I have an episode, I take 4 tablets at the onset, and within 10 to 15 minutes my heart rates subsides. This medication has been a godsend and works great for me."

Rapid HB (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 22, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "KeepsBP down, but it has 880 drug interactions!! More than any other calcium channel blocker! and has 9 disease interactions!! More than any other one too! Husband on same, (had heart docs in same office prescribe) and had many problems getting other meds cause there are so many drug interactions....got to find another one."

Too many drug interactions! May 15, 2017

For Atrial Flutter: "No side effects that I'm aware of. Recently dose has been increased from 1 a day to 2 a day 120 mg XT as I have been having more frequently and longer durations of Atrial flutter/atrial fibrillation."

Miataluv May 2, 2017

For Atrial Flutter: "weight gain; tinnitus"

Sarahdormer April 28, 2017

For Atrial Flutter: "After my heart began racing several times with a pulse of 180 my doctor put me on Diltiazem (135). However, after a couple of months my heart began racing again, so the doctor upped the Diltiazem to 180. I had been experiencing breathing problems and thought it was related to my asthma flaring and a wet winter. Now with the increased Diltiazem I am having even greater difficulty breathing with pretty severe shortness of breath. I think it is most likely related to the drug. Now seeking medical follow up."

Susan Y April 24, 2017

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I began having SVT in 2011. It became debilitating with almost non-stop episodes occurring continuously throughout the day. Very frightening. At first I was prescribed Diltiazem at 120 MG. That worked for a couple of days. The SVT episodes returned, again non-stop. My dosage was increased to 180 MG per day, and that has worked for me. When my Medicare Advantage plan changed how it paid for Diltiazem, I couldn't afford that prescription. I was switched to Verapamil, which I had to take at 1/2 of a pill twice each day. It was not as effective as Diltiazem. The following year, I changed insurance plans, and was able to again take the Diltiazem 180 MG extended release capsule once per day. I don't think I have side effects."

Me's Ma (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 3, 2017