User Reviews for Diltiazem

Also known as: Cardizem, Cartia XT, Cardizem CD, Dilt-XR, Matzim LA, Tiazac, Diltiazem Hydrochloride CD, Diltiazem Hydrochloride SR, Tiadylt ER, Dilacor XR, Taztia XT, Diltia XT, Diltiazem Hydrochloride XR, Cardizem LA Diltzac

Diltiazem has an average rating of 6.2 out of 10 from a total of 142 ratings on Drugs.com. 48% of those users who reviewed Diltiazem reported a positive effect, while 28% reported a negative effect.

Heart Failure   10.0
Atrial Flutter   5.0
Summary of Diltiazem reviews 6.2 142 reviews

Reviews for Diltiazem

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I recently shared my terrible experience with this drug. I also ended up having a huge mouth ulcer, along with blistering and peeling skin on my fingers. When I stopped taking this med, the skin began to improve. This medication should be discontinued.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I was on Cardizem LA for a little over a month. After a couple of weeks I began having waves of depression, pounding heart, dizziness, and all of these symptoms worsened. The last week I was on this med, I noticed a white blister in my mouth, which spread and became very sore. Along with that, I had blisters show up on my fingers with peeling skin. I researched other reviews here and figured it had to be the Cardizem. I have stopped taking it, and have already noticed a big difference.”

CanCan · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 27, 2021

For Atrial Fibrillation: “I took diltiazem from Aug 2020-Jan 25th, 2021. It caused vitreous detachment in one of my eyes (luckily so far the retina hasn't detached) and Vasculitis in my legs. When I stopped it the burning and itching in my legs subsided (2 days later). Five days later it has stopped altogether. I was taking it for atrial fibrillation. I'm staying on blood thinner & will keep some of these with me in case I go into an abnormal heart rhythm. Taking it every day is a recipe for health disaster in my opinion.”

scsbo · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 25, 2021

Dilt-XR (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: “It worked perfectly well for around two years but then it began giving me very severe side effects, GERD and right shoulder pain. Sadly, have to say goodbye to diltiazem.”

lifeispainful · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 5, 2021

“Diltiazem is the only medication that has even remotely helped with my chronic migraines. It has caused some hair loss and my liver to be worse off than it already was, but I will take that over losing my early 20s to debilitating pain.”

Shannon · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 19, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I first started this dilitazem cd 180mg once a day because I had high blood pressure and skipped heartbeats. When I first took the medication I only had a few side effects which was constipation, weakness, tiredness but as the months went by my condition started to worsen and I was not myself, feeling depressed, tired all the time, pounding heartbeat if I do minimal activity, my nails started to look dead like they were dehydrated sunken in, I slept all the time, I didn’t have a appetite so I lost weight, bad anxiety, I fainted once right before my med was switched, and my heart palpitations was still ongoing. I do not recommend this medication it may be different for some but it was a nightmare for me literally. I have been switched to another medication and I am doing great and I feel great. Please be careful of this medication watch for side effects that can sneak up and cause problems.”

Wulfy · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 18, 2020

For Atrial Fibrillation: “Has greatly decreased my symptoms”

Helpfull November 27, 2020

Diltiazem Hydrochloride XR (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: “My mother was in and out of the ER for high BP. The situation was a nightmare. She was on Diovon and that gave her kidney stones 5x until they figured out it was her medication. The gave her Allopurinol. This is a horrible drug and used for gout and stops kidney stones from forming. Oh, did I mention the aspirin for 10 years that gave her ulcers. As a result, of the Allopurinol we now have Acid Reflux. Please be aware that acid reflux will effect you BP! They gave her so many over the counter and prescription antacids that did not work. She is taking liquid form of Maalox 15 min before eating and bedtime. Oh what a relief! The BP came down and and she now stable. Please watch for BP meds with water pills as kidney stones can form. Check to see if you really need aspirin everyday, and stay away from Allopurinol unless you have gout and need it. I think preventative drugs sometimes do more harm than good. We are trying to figure out if she should stay on avapro or diltiazem”

Lakeguy978 · Taken for less than 1 month September 4, 2020

Cartia XT (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: “What a nightmare! Ended up in ER with heavy PACs. Cardiologist put me on CartiaXT 120 MG. WHOA! I was living life as a race car. Now, I feel like I am still trying to run the race but in a 4 cylinder car rather than a race car. Exhausted. When I stand, I have to take a minute to allow my head to stop spinning and if I get up from squatting to garden or such...it feels like the lights are going to go out! Feel pressure in my chest and just plain weak. Seeing my PCP next week. I am coming off this. No way I am living life feeling like this!”

auntie mame · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2020

For Atrial Fibrillation: “was prescribed diltiazem by staff physician in hosp./ After 3 days use( A Saturday), had such swelling of my throat and could barely swallow any food so called my cardiologist on Monday, saw him on Tuesday. Was told this drug was a reliable age old successful treament. Also was encouraged to try again! I could not stand such pain ever again as am 88 yrs old and have many auto immune conditions including wheat allergy.”

Sue June 13, 2020

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “Diltiazem ER worked great for PVCs. I learned quickly that it requires a good bowel regimen. It resolved the constipation and bloating. Ask your doctor what the best regimen is for you. I need to use more than the normal Senna dose.”

Jtinc · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 27, 2020

Dilacor XR (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: “It took a few days but I really love this medication”

Qussay March 27, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I'm taking diltiazem SR 90 mg twice for hypertension , I have CKD stage 4 , it controls the blood pressure well , but with many intolerable adverse effects. I started to have flushing redness and hotness on my feet once I stand for long time , my heart racing with minimal activity or even stand from bed , and I have severe fatigue..”

Finney · Taken for less than 1 month March 18, 2020

For Atrial Flutter: “I had my heart go out of rhythm, wound up in the hospital overnight. So, my heart doctor increased my Diltiazem to 180 mg. I had unusual tiredness, joint pain, labored breathing, depressed and couldn't function until 3 pm. Went back to the doctor and he insisted on me having a pet scan. I did but I told him it was the medicine. I went back myself to the 120mg. and am doing well. People know their own body. Doctors should believe patients. My son is a pharmacist and he said I was right.”

Meme · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2020

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “Started 120 mg time released once a day of Diltiazem for mild tachycardia and Raynaud's. 20 mins after first pill I had extreme migraine for 48 hours. Sinuses extremely dry. Felt, lightheaded and agitated. No energy. I had an episode after taking it so that I ended up in emergency room for high blood pressure. This medication has increased my blood pressure instead of lowering it. Went off of it and ended back 4 days later with a high blood pressure and 116 heart rate and shaking. Took a pill and my pressure and heart rate went down. Be careful trying to go off after 2 weeks on it. Waiting to see my doctor for a new medication. Not happy with this medication.”

grey · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 26, 2020

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I was diagnosed with SVT about 7 months ago. I was initially put on atenolol but switched over due to it causing weight gain and constipation. The diltiazem has been fine, but I still get a couple of short episodes. Before medication, they used to last 30+min and my heart would race to 200 bpm. Now that I'm on medication, I've had two episodes that lasted 30secs at most. Today, I just had an episode that lasted 15 minutes, but it was not as intense as it used to be. I'm considering the ablation, just because it's inconvenient to have this happen while I'm at work. However, I've been told that if I had an episode on diltiazem, I can take another pill to stop it.”

Vegas December 22, 2019

Dilt-XR (diltiazem) for Heart Failure: “I was told I have a-fib but I only felt the bad ones. When THEY HIT IT SCARES ME BUT but in the hospital with a 33 hour AFIB MODE, it stopped when they gave me Cardizam. Now I only get mild very short attacks that I can feel. So soon, in 3 weeks I'm asking for a higher dose. It lets me live a normal life at age 77”

Shmo Joe · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 28, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I started this medication, Dilatiziem HCL, on a nightly dose to see if it might help alleviate some other symptoms. I began to notice I could constantly hear my pulse in my right ear, and confirmed the rhythm was in perfect sync with the pulse at my right temple. Asked my Dr if I should be concerned about the sound, and they said no and that it was safe to continue the medication. The pulsatile tinnitus got annoying to me after a while, so I discontinued the medication. The tinnitus stopped just over 24 hours after my last dose.”

Phuphu November 13, 2019

For Atrial Fibrillation: “At first my Diltiazem dose was 30mg 4 times daily. Then Diltiazem XR 120mg once a day. Once in ER, Dr. gave me another Dilt 120 and it took care of the problem. My cardio Dr got the results of the ER he upped my Diltiazem to 180mg. Every time I take is for at least 3 days I awaken in the morning with heart palpitations. I went back to taking the 120mg. No heart palpitations in the morning. My PCP said talk to Cardio Dr before a lesser dosage. Took the 180 again. A week later the palpitations in the a.m. started again. I am very sensitive to lots of meds and had to stop Flecainide and Multaq for that very reason. Just on Diltiazem XR 120 now. Will see if the morning arising palpitations stop. I feel they do not know my body like I do. ”

BPdrugMadness · Taken for less than 1 month November 12, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I took this drug diltiazem for about 10 days- it was working well until day 6- when it started to tighten my stomach and cause a feeling of bloating and constipation. Just in time for a 4 hour plane flight too! Not comfortable. I had to quit taking it due to this feeling- I've had 5 stomach surgeries due to ruptured appendix complications, so being bloated and constipated isn't especially fun for me. Too bad since the drug otherwise was working well- I had improved energy and could stay awake longer than with the beta blocker I had been on, and my sex drive had returned also! So quitting it was disappointing- I have so many bad side effects to many of these BP drugs. So back on the Bisoprolol I go, even though I feel like a 90 year old man on it & basically castrated! May get my doc to prescribe Diovan for me next month, unless he has a remedy for this stomach tightness/bloating that Diltiazem had given me.”

JJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 9, 2019

Cartia XT (diltiazem): “My husband suffered with SVT for a few years before correctly diagnosed, before that they told him it is your stomach that is causing the problems. This year 5 episodes of SVT and finally taking Cartia XT 120mg at night. Two months no episodes and thank goodness no side effects, it's scary what I read here. I my opinion, Doctors just try what will work and patients are like lab rabbits or the smaller kind...”

Nancy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 8, 2019

Cartia XT (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: “I could smell a strong odor when I opened the container. It is very off putting. I have taken it awhile and my stomach is always upset. I think it does not agree with me.”

Rosine · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 4, 2019

Cartia XT (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: “I have an irregular heart beat so my dr put me on Cartia XT240 MG (diltiazem). I started having a racing heart, uncontrollable shakes, heated face, felt like my face was going to burn off, couldn't get out of bed and went to the ER 3 times in a week. My kids finally looked up side effects to this drug and I had them all. It was awful. I finally got off of it onto the plain Diltiazem. It works a 100 times better without crazy side effects. I suggest u look up side effects b4 taking anything new. I know I will. I felt like I was dying.”

SJS · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 21, 2019

Cartia XT (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: “I have been taking Cartia XT 180 (diltiazem) every other day for several years. It controls my BP and prevents SVT. There is a shortage (Aug 2019) so the pharmacy substituted Cardizem CD. Since then I have experienced episodes of rapid heart rate, increase in pitch and intensity of tinnitus and hot flashes. I just had my Thyroid levels tested today to see if my dose of synthroid is too high. (After EKG was normal). If it isn’t the Synthroid then it must be the Cardizem. Very frustrating - I don’t feel myself at all.”

maylaw · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2019

Cardizem (diltiazem) for Angina Pectoris Prophylaxis: “The first three days on this med 120 mg, I was fine the fourth day started shaking out of control, blood pressure dipped to 92 over 63 and pulse increased to 120 beats, Stopped taking this med today. I also had terrible pain in my back and abdomen. I still feel very shaky I'm wondering how long it takes to rid my system....Awful drug for me anyway.”