User Reviews for Diltiazem

Also known as: Cardizem, Cardizem CD, Cardizem LA, Cardizem Monovial, Cardizem SR, Cartia XT, Dilacor XR, Dilt-XR, Diltia XT, Diltiazem Hydrochloride CD, Diltiazem Hydrochloride SR, Diltiazem Hydrochloride XR, Diltiazem Hydrochloride XT, Diltzac, Matzim LA, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Diltiazem.

Angina Pectoris Prophylaxis 2 reviews 131 medications

Atrial Flutter 8 reviews 25 medications

5.9
Summary of Diltiazem reviews 84 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Diltiazem

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I'm 40 yrs old, and have had around 10 episodes of aroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (psvt) in my lifetime. My heart rate gets up to around 250 beats per minute each episode. Before taking this medicine, I had to go to the emergency room, and get a shot of adenosine, to get my heart to slow down. I talked to my doctor about having to go to the emergency room each time, because I could do nothing to slow my heart rate on my own. She prescribed me cardizem 30 mg tablets, to take when I have an episode, I take 4 tablets at the onset, and within 10 to 15 minutes my heart rates subsides. This medication has been a godsend and works great for me."

Rapid HB (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 22, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "KeepsBP down, but it has 880 drug interactions!! More than any other calcium channel blocker! and has 9 disease interactions!! More than any other one too! Husband on same, (had heart docs in same office prescribe) and had many problems getting other meds cause there are so many drug interactions....got to find another one."

Too many drug interactions! May 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Atrial Flutter: "No side effects that I'm aware of. Recently dose has been increased from 1 a day to 2 a day 120 mg XT as I have been having more frequently and longer durations of Atrial flutter/atrial fibrillation."

Miataluv May 2, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Atrial Flutter: "weight gain; tinnitus"

Sarahdormer April 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Atrial Flutter: "After my heart began racing several times with a pulse of 180 my doctor put me on Diltiazem (135). However, after a couple of months my heart began racing again, so the doctor upped the Diltiazem to 180. I had been experiencing breathing problems and thought it was related to my asthma flaring and a wet winter. Now with the increased Diltiazem I am having even greater difficulty breathing with pretty severe shortness of breath. I think it is most likely related to the drug. Now seeking medical follow up."

Susan Y April 24, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I began having SVT in 2011. It became debilitating with almost non-stop episodes occurring continuously throughout the day. Very frightening. At first I was prescribed Diltiazem at 120 MG. That worked for a couple of days. The SVT episodes returned, again non-stop. My dosage was increased to 180 MG per day, and that has worked for me. When my Medicare Advantage plan changed how it paid for Diltiazem, I couldn't afford that prescription. I was switched to Verapamil, which I had to take at 1/2 of a pill twice each day. It was not as effective as Diltiazem. The following year, I changed insurance plans, and was able to again take the Diltiazem 180 MG extended release capsule once per day. I don't think I have side effects."

Me's Ma (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 3, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I am a 69 year old male , 6'4" currently about 210 #.About six months ago experienced afib when first diagnosed was given Metoprolol and within a few days was extremely weak and could hardly breath. My cardiologist changed to diltiazem and it was like night and day. I had plenty of energy and the breathing issues ended. Since being diagnosed with afib I have stopped drinking alcohol, began a low carb diet that includes lots of vegetables, protein and omega 3s. All in all a pretty healthy diet. I also have lost about 30lb in that time period. At my 6 month Doctors check up prior to meeting with my cardiologist I commented about discomfort in my breasts, and was diagnosed with Gynecomastia. Fasting blood sugar 104 to 132. Concerned"

FJG (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I take this medication at 120mg for heart tachycardia. I went into ER with 165bpms 3 years ago and honestly I thought I was going to die. Uncontrolled blood pressure and anxiety and abuse of energy drinks. Please don't be a victim of energy drinks like me. Well Doctor put me on this for the past 4 years and my palpitations have gone from every week to every 6 months excellent medication and also makes you relax."

ThickMadam29 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cardizem LA (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: "Cardizem started taking yesterday 2-10-2016 making shakes like I have Parkinson's which I don't have. Did not sleep all night at all. Feel bad face flushed to point it was red. Taken 2 doses so far and may not take any more until I talk to heart Dr. That prescribe it. Check blood press it had gone up instead of down.it was 196over70."

Rascaljoe31 (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Still no relief for A-fib. Or B/P. Still have high blood pressure. This medication has me craving lemons, pickle juice, O.I of which I am drinking craving daily!. Not sure why ? It if it means I should tell to my Dr. Thanks for any feed back help."

Lilrose (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "Was on Atenolol 25mg, once a day, had bad leg cramping, some dizziness, it wasn't helping my palpitations then Cardiologist switched me to Bystolic 5mg I had again dizziness, vivid dreams and feeling fuzzy. Started Diltiazem 30mg 3 times a day as needed and I started with one a day and palpitations and accelerated heart are controlled, I only experienced fatigue, shortness of breath and sometimes nightmares but has helped me feel better though..."

MsX.LaSalle (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Atrial Flutter: "Diltiazem was started due to difficulty tolerating flushing of neck, chest and groin with Amylodipine. It has been effective at controlling palpitations but this improvement was not noted immediately after starting medication. It seemed to take over a week after switching from Amylodipine to Diltiazem before relief from palpitations were noted. Please note! If you take thyroid hormone replacement, be aware to avoid taking Diltiazem at same time as thyroid medicine. My thyroid labs (TSH) have been steadily increasing over last 6 months (revealing that my dose of Synthroid has not been adequate) until it was discovered this week that this unwanted change in thyroid labs has been caused by taking Diltiazem daily at same time as Synthroid."

Julianab December 3, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Worked to convert afib than dropped blood pressure too low. Doc adjusted med but I had the worse headaches everyday just in the week I was on it. I had to lay down due to headache and very tired feeling each day. Looks like it works for many who have posted. Trying metoprolol. See it has a less favorable review but my hubby has taken it for years with no side effects. Hoping for a great outcome."

Wahmse November 15, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Have felt better especially when dosage increased to 180 mg pills once a day. They appear to give me a better appetite."

C square November 7, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cartia XT (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: "I've been on Cardia XT for 1 year... Yes, pass the side affects please... Occasional dizziness, light headiness, some minor weight gain, but watching what I eat -- getting into the gym... GIVE UP THE SALT --- Processed foods are also sodium filled....The fatigue is awful on most days - I just have to get that nap in -- but preferably not in Atlanta traffic... but overall -- it definitely does it's job! blood pressure is excellent most days --- My blood pressure was 200/120 triggering A-FIB landed me in ER/Intensive Care last November for 4 days... YIKES!!!! This morning's pressure was 112/80... AMAZING!!!"

ladyjred November 3, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cartia XT (diltiazem) for Atrial Flutter: "I had a terrible reaction to Cartia XT's formulation of Cardizem, when my usual manufacturer, PAR who also makes Cardizem capsules, was not in stock at my pharmacy. So they substituted Cartia XT's formulation of Cardizem; I began having extreme racing, more than usual AF, and it continued to recur within about an hour after taking it each day. It was very alarming, because PAR manufacturer of Cardizem never gave me a bad reaction and I had been taking it for years. Pharmacists who try to tell you that all generics are the same but that is misleading. the main ingredient prescription drug must be the same as the brand; but the manufacturer can vary the remaining ingredients; and it is very difficult to find out what they are."

Jo Jose October 4, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cartia XT (diltiazem) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "Took this medication to help my SVT. Made my heart skip beats and I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. Worst experience of my life. Never helped lower my heart rate. Lopressor never worked for me either."

Jackeh12 (taken for less than 1 month) September 29, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For High Blood Pressure: "Hi, I had an attack of tachycardia that was caused by eating apricot seeds. Taken to the hospital and treated for 125-135 heart and feeling like I was shaking and panicking. They prescribed Metoprolol and sent me home after treatment, I felt fine the next day and then had rapid heart rate again and had a flash of anxiety. I took the metoprolol and tried to get in to see my Army doctors. After a 10 day wait and being extremely anxious and a nervous wreck I got to see my doctor. He took me off Metoprolol and gave me Diltiazem, no blood tests, no other testing. The Diltiazem makes me feel foggy, dizzy, and at first chest tightness and palpitations. I'm desperately working out to lose weight and get off this drug."

Diltiazemhurts (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 6, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Dilt-XR (diltiazem) for Atrial Fibrillation: "I was diagnosed with Sinus Tachycardia a few years ago. My resting heart rate was usually 130-140. Resting heart rate!! I was put on a medication that made me so tired I could barely function. After a month on that I insisted on switching and they gave me Dilt XR 120mg. I noticed some slowing of my heart rate and absolutely NO side effects. Still my heart rate was running around 100 and would get like hot flashes if I did much moving around, which made work miserable. I have increased my dosage to 360mg and I feel so much better. Pulse is running in the 70s and the hot flashes and sweating have almost gone away."

Sweaty one (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 4, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cardizem (diltiazem) for Atrial Flutter: "after Beta Blockers failed to work, and made me gain 20 lbs in 90 days. Dr then tried Verapamil , While that did work better not 100%. After a 6 months , Then became allergic to it. Rare side effect. Then Dr put me on Cartia XT, after a day or 2 , I felt alot better. Cartia XT is really is controlling my PVCs from Left Vertical, 8 months going now and no side effects yet. Works better than Verapamil for me."

"Paul" (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Have had intermittent A-Fib for several years, with no needed intervention. Recently began having chest pain and shortness of breath so went to my cardiologist. Was in continuous A-Fib, so he started me on Cardiazem. Worst side effects I have ever experienced. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, lightheadedness, fell once, profuse sweating, general malaise, just felt horrible. This was after only 3 tablets. No medication changes. Started on Coumadin, and had taken this for years without problems. Called Dr. and med. stopped. Just now beginning to overcome those dreadful side effects. BUT I do recommend this medication for those who can take it. My sister has been on it for years for A-Fib and has done great, only has rare A-Fib"

Eleanor1937 (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Atrial Fibrillation: "breakthrough afib events At first had few side effects, after taking med for 3 mo, physical side effects are occurring. eg physical feeling of weakness, shaky feeling in arms, little more clumsy and less strong legs; tire more eassily with increased cognitive changes eg difficutly retrieving information, names etc"

skbers (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Atrial Fibrillation: "180 mg is my friend. When I have an AFIB incident, about 4x per year, I double up the med and I convert soon after. Before I was educated, I ran to the hospital and they gave me cardia in IV form. NO bad side effects at all. Highly recommended"

Vegasgal April 24, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Cartia XT (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: "Taking the slow release, 120 mg version. I take it at night about 30 minutes before bedtime. Averts any dizziness since I am going to bed to sleep. BP has been good 125/80 generally. resting pulse of about 60. Thankfully I am optimal weight and I exercise 4 to 5 times weekly, mostly a 2 mile walk each time and about 50 situps. Drinking lots of water to stay hydrated. mild constipation so I eat a cup of yogurt at least every other day."

Bulldogjr March 24, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Atrial Fibrillation: "have been on generic Cardizem since first bout with afib a month ago,,,,,many side effects like ankle swelling,,,,and at waistline,sharp pain stabs in the head,dizziness,blurred vision,,,,,just switched away from generic form and will see if the real deal makes a difference ,,,taking 120 extended dose one daily,,,being hopeful cause no sign of afib since that one time!!"

Hdev (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2016