User Reviews for Diltiazem

Also known as: Cardizem, Cardizem CD, Cardizem LA, Cardizem Monovial, Cardizem SR, Cartia XT, Dilacor XR, Dilt-XR, Diltia XT, Diltiazem Hydrochloride CD, Diltiazem Hydrochloride SR, Diltiazem Hydrochloride XR, Diltiazem Hydrochloride XT, Diltzac, Matzim LA, Taztia XT, Tiadylt ER, Tiazac …show all brand names

Raynaud's Syndrome

7.4

2 reviews
Summary of Diltiazem reviews 7.0 96 reviews

Reviews for Diltiazem

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I've been taking this medication for 3 days now. It does lower my blood pressure but when I first take it my blood pressure goes up about 30 points. Gives me terrible anxiety and I break out into an Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT). The first day I took it I had a massive headache. I have terrible constipation as well. Short of breath and my bones ache which has never been the case before ever. I'm afraid to drive because I feel very light-headed and dizzy. I wish there was a better medication for this condition because this does not feel good."

RSouthwick (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2018

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "Hi i have inappropiate sinus tachycardia which I'm taking diltiazem 200mg, Indapamide 2.5mg, andatorvastatin and my heartrate is still 120 and I've taken these for 1 year."

Lynn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 10, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Cardiologist suggested switching now to Diltiazem for less side effects and Diltiazem would be better suited for my cardio profile. Started Diltiazem 240 mg's once daily five days ago. Day one and two felt like I was tipsy with a headache that would come and go. Red facial flushing. I made sure to drink a lot of water and stayed well hydrated, avoiding all caffeine. I stopped all vitamin supplements before starting so I could have only the one variable starting the diltiazem. I felt I could not safely drive/focus for the tipsy feeling and with the strange headaches. Day three, dizziness and noticeable swelling in calves/ankles and sinus stuffiness. Day four, bouts of spontaneous rapid heart beat, high pulse rate coming on like bursts of adrenaline out of the blue to the point where my hands would start to tremble and my legs felt weak just before the episode of rapid heart beat and at this point, my legs are getting rather puffy. I am stopping the pill completely."

Anonymous February 15, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: "Veins in leg ached and found where I had past surgery there was pain in the area this pill made me very hot for the first few hours, chronic low back pain, legs very heavy and feet bones very sore. Hands were bright red. I did help the bp however, I am super sensitive to drugs. This is my number 8 pill tried for my Blood pressure"

Cisi (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2018

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Diltiazem 300mg increased to 360mg Extreme breathless when doing anything physical. Two cardioversion for Afib. Didn't work.. BP lower .oxygen levels around. 90 to 92. Why am I so breathless? Have only taken for 4 days"

Snuffu (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2018

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Increases my systolic BP by 20 points. Gives me rapid heart. Doctors say this is not possible. They drive me crazy. I do not make this stuff up. I am very sensitive to many medications. I am going off it again. Was glad to see on here that another patient had increased BP."

30days January 22, 2018

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I am 31 years old and have been taking diltiazem 120 mg for 4 months now, after the other medications' side effects kept me from being able to function at home and work. It is partly effective at treating my supraventricular tachycardia, but it caused me to develop acne all over my chest, abdomen, shoulders and entire back. I have stop taking the medication 2 days ago to see if the acne begins to reside. I have a cardiac ablation scheduled for a week and a half from today, and will hopefully be off all medication if it is a successful procedure."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "Was taking 180mg for 2 weeks and was not getting a decrease in BP. Was really no difference from not taking any meds. I had heart flutters and body aches where I thought I had one of the worst fibromyalgia bouts ever. Doctor doubled my dose. In one week the body pains/aches worsened, my blood pressure went up, and my heart flutter worsened. Also gave me headaches and my nails have never grown so fast in my life! 1st day off Dilitiazem and my body aches are already going away as are the heart flutters. 3 weeks of unsatisfactory treatment and would not recommend this drug to anyone. Going to Atenolol."

OrcaBC (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "After two weeks on this medication, I have developed a terrible rash. The itching is unbelievable, I will not take another of these capsules regardless of the consequences. Be very aware of the side effects."

tazlhm (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2017

For Angina Pectoris Prophylaxis: "I have been on this drug 3 weeks, my reflux has been getting worse. I am back to Dr on Monday , I think I will need to go back to cardiologist as I am missing my left coronary artery and only have my right one for supporting me. I had been getting chest pain and after the angiogram I was started on this. Thankfully I do not have any blockage but need to protect the one artery that I have."

Redhead40 July 14, 2017

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I'm 40 yrs old, and have had around 10 episodes of aroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (psvt) in my lifetime. My heart rate gets up to around 250 beats per minute each episode. Before taking this medicine, I had to go to the emergency room, and get a shot of adenosine, to get my heart to slow down. I talked to my doctor about having to go to the emergency room each time, because I could do nothing to slow my heart rate on my own. She prescribed me cardizem 30 mg tablets, to take when I have an episode, I take 4 tablets at the onset, and within 10 to 15 minutes my heart rates subsides. This medication has been a godsend and works great for me."

Rapid HB (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 22, 2017

For High Blood Pressure: "KeepsBP down, but it has 880 drug interactions!! More than any other calcium channel blocker! and has 9 disease interactions!! More than any other one too! Husband on same, (had heart docs in same office prescribe) and had many problems getting other meds cause there are so many drug interactions....got to find another one."

Too many drug interactions! May 15, 2017

For Atrial Flutter: "No side effects that I'm aware of. Recently dose has been increased from 1 a day to 2 a day 120 mg XT as I have been having more frequently and longer durations of Atrial flutter/atrial fibrillation."

Miataluv May 2, 2017

For Atrial Flutter: "weight gain; tinnitus"

Sarahdormer April 28, 2017

For Atrial Flutter: "After my heart began racing several times with a pulse of 180 my doctor put me on Diltiazem (135). However, after a couple of months my heart began racing again, so the doctor upped the Diltiazem to 180. I had been experiencing breathing problems and thought it was related to my asthma flaring and a wet winter. Now with the increased Diltiazem I am having even greater difficulty breathing with pretty severe shortness of breath. I think it is most likely related to the drug. Now seeking medical follow up."

Susan Y April 24, 2017

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I began having SVT in 2011. It became debilitating with almost non-stop episodes occurring continuously throughout the day. Very frightening. At first I was prescribed Diltiazem at 120 MG. That worked for a couple of days. The SVT episodes returned, again non-stop. My dosage was increased to 180 MG per day, and that has worked for me. When my Medicare Advantage plan changed how it paid for Diltiazem, I couldn't afford that prescription. I was switched to Verapamil, which I had to take at 1/2 of a pill twice each day. It was not as effective as Diltiazem. The following year, I changed insurance plans, and was able to again take the Diltiazem 180 MG extended release capsule once per day. I don't think I have side effects."

Me's Ma (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 3, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I am a 69 year old male , 6'4" currently about 210 #.About six months ago experienced afib when first diagnosed was given Metoprolol and within a few days was extremely weak and could hardly breath. My cardiologist changed to diltiazem and it was like night and day. I had plenty of energy and the breathing issues ended. Since being diagnosed with afib I have stopped drinking alcohol, began a low carb diet that includes lots of vegetables, protein and omega 3s. All in all a pretty healthy diet. I also have lost about 30lb in that time period. At my 6 month Doctors check up prior to meeting with my cardiologist I commented about discomfort in my breasts, and was diagnosed with Gynecomastia. Fasting blood sugar 104 to 132. Concerned"

FJG (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2017

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I take this medication at 120mg for heart tachycardia. I went into ER with 165bpms 3 years ago and honestly I thought I was going to die. Uncontrolled blood pressure and anxiety and abuse of energy drinks. Please don't be a victim of energy drinks like me. Well Doctor put me on this for the past 4 years and my palpitations have gone from every week to every 6 months excellent medication and also makes you relax."

ThickMadam29 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 22, 2017

Cardizem LA (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: "Cardizem started taking yesterday 2-10-2016 making shakes like I have Parkinson's which I don't have. Did not sleep all night at all. Feel bad face flushed to point it was red. Taken 2 doses so far and may not take any more until I talk to heart Dr. That prescribe it. Check blood press it had gone up instead of down.it was 196over70."

Rascaljoe31 (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Still no relief for A-fib. Or B/P. Still have high blood pressure. This medication has me craving lemons, pickle juice, O.I of which I am drinking craving daily!. Not sure why ? It if it means I should tell to my Dr. Thanks for any feed back help."

Lilrose (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2017

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "Was on Atenolol 25mg, once a day, had bad leg cramping, some dizziness, it wasn't helping my palpitations then Cardiologist switched me to Bystolic 5mg I had again dizziness, vivid dreams and feeling fuzzy. Started Diltiazem 30mg 3 times a day as needed and I started with one a day and palpitations and accelerated heart are controlled, I only experienced fatigue, shortness of breath and sometimes nightmares but has helped me feel better though..."

MsX.LaSalle (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2017

For Atrial Flutter: "Diltiazem was started due to difficulty tolerating flushing of neck, chest and groin with Amylodipine. It has been effective at controlling palpitations but this improvement was not noted immediately after starting medication. It seemed to take over a week after switching from Amylodipine to Diltiazem before relief from palpitations were noted. Please note! If you take thyroid hormone replacement, be aware to avoid taking Diltiazem at same time as thyroid medicine. My thyroid labs (TSH) have been steadily increasing over last 6 months (revealing that my dose of Synthroid has not been adequate) until it was discovered this week that this unwanted change in thyroid labs has been caused by taking Diltiazem daily at same time as Synthroid."

Julianab December 3, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Worked to convert afib than dropped blood pressure too low. Doc adjusted med but I had the worse headaches everyday just in the week I was on it. I had to lay down due to headache and very tired feeling each day. Looks like it works for many who have posted. Trying metoprolol. See it has a less favorable review but my hubby has taken it for years with no side effects. Hoping for a great outcome."

Wahmse November 15, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Have felt better especially when dosage increased to 180 mg pills once a day. They appear to give me a better appetite."

C square November 7, 2016

Cartia XT (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: "I've been on Cardia XT for 1 year... Yes, pass the side affects please... Occasional dizziness, light headiness, some minor weight gain, but watching what I eat -- getting into the gym... GIVE UP THE SALT --- Processed foods are also sodium filled....The fatigue is awful on most days - I just have to get that nap in -- but preferably not in Atlanta traffic... but overall -- it definitely does it's job! blood pressure is excellent most days --- My blood pressure was 200/120 triggering A-FIB landed me in ER/Intensive Care last November for 4 days... YIKES!!!! This morning's pressure was 112/80... AMAZING!!!"

ladyjred November 3, 2016