User Reviews for Diltiazem

Also known as: Cardizem, Cardizem CD, Cardizem LA, Cardizem Monovial, Cardizem SR, Cartia XT, Dilacor XR, Dilt-XR, Diltia XT, Diltiazem Hydrochloride CD, Diltiazem Hydrochloride SR, Diltiazem Hydrochloride XR, Diltiazem Hydrochloride XT, Diltzac, Matzim LA, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Diltiazem.

Angina Pectoris Prophylaxis 2 reviews 131 medications

Atrial Flutter 3 reviews 25 medications

7.2
Summary of Diltiazem reviews 66 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Diltiazem

Dilt-XR (diltiazem) for Atrial Fibrillation: "I was diagnosed with Sinus Tachycardia a few years ago. My resting heart rate was usually 130-140. Resting heart rate!! I was put on a medication that made me so tired I could barely function. After a month on that I insisted on switching and they gave me Dilt XR 120mg. I noticed some slowing of my heart rate and absolutely NO side effects. Still my heart rate was running around 100 and would get like hot flashes if I did much moving around, which made work miserable. I have increased my dosage to 360mg and I feel so much better. Pulse is running in the 70s and the hot flashes and sweating have almost gone away."

Sweaty one (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 4, 2016

Cardizem (diltiazem) for Atrial Flutter: "after Beta Blockers failed to work, and made me gain 20 lbs in 90 days. Dr then tried Verapamil , While that did work better not 100%. After a 6 months , Then became allergic to it. Rare side effect. Then Dr put me on Cartia XT, after a day or 2 , I felt alot better. Cartia XT is really is controlling my PVCs from Left Vertical, 8 months going now and no side effects yet. Works better than Verapamil for me."

"Paul" (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Have had intermittent A-Fib for several years, with no needed intervention. Recently began having chest pain and shortness of breath so went to my cardiologist. Was in continuous A-Fib, so he started me on Cardiazem. Worst side effects I have ever experienced. Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, lightheadedness, fell once, profuse sweating, general malaise, just felt horrible. This was after only 3 tablets. No medication changes. Started on Coumadin, and had taken this for years without problems. Called Dr. and med. stopped. Just now beginning to overcome those dreadful side effects. BUT I do recommend this medication for those who can take it. My sister has been on it for years for A-Fib and has done great, only has rare A-Fib"

Eleanor1937 (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "breakthrough afib events At first had few side effects, after taking med for 3 mo, physical side effects are occurring. eg physical feeling of weakness, shaky feeling in arms, little more clumsy and less strong legs; tire more eassily with increased cognitive changes eg difficutly retrieving information, names etc"

skbers (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "180 mg is my friend. When I have an AFIB incident, about 4x per year, I double up the med and I convert soon after. Before I was educated, I ran to the hospital and they gave me cardia in IV form. NO bad side effects at all. Highly recommended"

Vegasgal April 24, 2016

Cartia XT (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: "Taking the slow release, 120 mg version. I take it at night about 30 minutes before bedtime. Averts any dizziness since I am going to bed to sleep. BP has been good 125/80 generally. resting pulse of about 60. Thankfully I am optimal weight and I exercise 4 to 5 times weekly, mostly a 2 mile walk each time and about 50 situps. Drinking lots of water to stay hydrated. mild constipation so I eat a cup of yogurt at least every other day."

Bulldogjr March 24, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "have been on generic Cardizem since first bout with afib a month ago,,,,,many side effects like ankle swelling,,,,and at waistline,sharp pain stabs in the head,dizziness,blurred vision,,,,,just switched away from generic form and will see if the real deal makes a difference ,,,taking 120 extended dose one daily,,,being hopeful cause no sign of afib since that one time!!"

Hdev (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2016

Cardizem (diltiazem) for Atrial Fibrillation: "Side effects....hoarseness. No appetite..fatigue...stomach upset. Have been on metropolol which caused shortness of breath. Still trying to find something without so many side effects. "

Mhmtaosnm March 3, 2016

Cardizem (diltiazem) for Atrial Fibrillation: "I have had two episodes of lone a-fib, one 15 yrs ago and one six months ago. For the earlier episode I was placed on Toprol, Digoxin and Warfarin - it was HORRIBLE, I've never felt so sick in my life. This time, I was placed on 240 mg of Diltiazem and Xarelto. I have been on both for six months with the only minor issue being a bit of excess gas, small price to pay to keep the a-fib away."

JA Larson (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 24, 2016

Tiazac (diltiazem) for Atrial Fibrillation: "Hi, I've been taking 240 mg of tiazac every evening for the past 11 years after a trip to the ER at 37 years old. I waited about 2 hours to call the paramedics, but after being unable to climb the stairs I decided to call them. My heartbeat was still well over 200 when I got to the ER. I was lucky to be in good shape because it is well possible my heart would not have held on at that rate for that long. Tiazac works great for me. At first I tried 2 pills per day, but did not work very well. After a few weeks my doctor switched me to long release 240 mg. I'm still with it 11 years later and training for a triathlon in the fall and 25 k next spring. If your conditions allows it, exercise ! and drink decaf. ! (for me at least)"

canuck2016 (taken for 10 years or more) February 16, 2016

For : "Been taking cartia xt, 120mg twice a day since 2011 for pvc's, pac's, occasional svt, and non-sustained a-fib unrelated to the chest pains I get quite frequently. It helped a lot, but the doctor recently upped my dosage to 180mg twice a day for chest pain that I am now experiencing from coronary spasms due to a myocardial bridge diagnosed via catheterization! Hopefully, the increase in dosage will stop all these terrifying spasms."

sib64 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 10, 2015

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I have been taking Diltiazem for at least 12 years at different dosages. I am now at 360 mg. It has worked wonders for my Afib and blood pressure. I always take it at night become since it makes me tired. My brother started taking it and it has really helped lower his blood pressure."

Nosnowbird - PA October 17, 2015

Cartia XT (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: "occasional dizziness but drug works"

oldie but goody (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 15, 2015

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Gave me headaches. Didn't fix the A-fib but I'm going in for cardioversion (2nd time) and had the cardioablation so mine apparently is persistent . I like Bystolic better , no side effects. I got the generic since it was covered"

Deland gal (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2015

Cartia XT (diltiazem) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I am currently taking Cartia XT 120mg once a day, and it is a mixed bag for me. I am still experiencing an elevated HR multiple times per day, and very light headed all day long. I do not feel right at all. I have also tried metropolol and lisinipril, having the best results from the latter, but it did not address my HR."

Dante31 September 20, 2015

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I just started on 120mg ER Diltiazem once daily. I am 45 male, 6'3" 210 lbs, with SVT history. I past been on Metropolol, Atenlol and Bystolic. I had horrible side effects with Beta Blockers. Doc switched me to Diltiazem because he said less side effects. My SVT results in 1-3 second arrythmias and then they stop. I havent been experiencing the SVT in quite some time but my chief complaint is the sinus HeartRate. My resting heartrate on BB was 75bbm. I weaned off BB and for 2 days was medicine free but my resting HR was 90 which quickly shot up when I did anything. I did feel alot better for those 2 days but I went back on 2.5mg Bystolic until I saw Doctor. Day 3 on Diltiazem and resting HR 85/90. Feel better but doesnt seem to slow HR down"

amscott3 (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I take 180mg. Once a day. It is a wonder drug. It helped lower my blood pressure but it also helps with my headaches. When I feel a migraine coming my doctor gave me 120mg for the migranes and I lay down for an hour or two and my migraine is gone."

wy June 29, 2015

For Angina Pectoris Prophylaxis: "I'm 31 years old and have started having high blood pressure. Hydrochlorothiazide didn't work. After seeing the cardiologist I started dilitiazem 24hr er 120mg cap for high blood pressure and angina. I feel like I worked instantly, on my third dose I checked my blood pressure and in was lower, it was still at risk, but it was much lower, and my pulse was normal. I do feel slightly dizzy for a split second. I don't feel tired and I drive all day with it. I have had a loss of appetite, but I think that's a good thing so I can get this weight off. I'm using this medicine along with diet and slow pace exercise. This is day four and I still have a slight chest pain for a second once or twice a day, but I know its working because I feel better."

JadaVA (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2015

For Atrial Fibrillation: "For years (More like forever) I kept getting diagnosed with panic attacks since by the time I would get to the ER the "episode" had stopped. Last year I had the worst and longest episode I'd ever experienced. By the time I got to the ER my heart rate was still in the 190's. At 41yrs old, I Finally found out it had been A-Fib the last 20 years. Was prescribed Diltiazem (Cardizem) 60mg every 6hrs and I love it! A little bumpy in the beginning. Sensitivity to sunlight and tiredness/dizzy but not bothersome to the point I wanted to stop. After about a week the mild side effects had passed and well, It's just awesome. I highly recommend to help control A-Fib symptoms."

nparks35 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 9, 2015

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Atrial fibrillation due to chemotherapy. After lisinopril - metroprol and losartan I started on this - AND I LOVED IT - dizzy at first but it worked itself out after few days - heart rate was way to low at first but resolved itself - just as it all worked out and I went for my first bike ride I developed a rash - stomach - back - neck - legs then buttocks so on day 4 I'm stopping. Bummer."

FTCNYC (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2015

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I've been taking 180mg timed-release dilt capsules for two years after my 95%-effective catheter ablation for atrial flutter. I still get mild and transient afibs most mornings at 5 a.m. or so. They stop after ten minutes or when i sit up or get up to use the restroom. I think the vagus nerve responds to bladder pressure and sends a wrong signal to the heart to act up. I'm on low dosage by prefernce. Perhaps I'll ask for higher dosage if the transient episodes start to last longer or feel more severe. I can barely feel the "quivering' sensation that afib causes in my chest so I am happy for now."

Navigaiter Meece March 3, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Dropped the blood pressure from 150/110 to 90/60 in 4 days but the fatigue/constipation and just an unwell feeling has made me stop this medicine."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: "Couldn't sleep all night. Had all hallucinations, unusual bad dreams, nightmares. But I did feel the chest pressure ease up and chest pains gone. I informed my Dr. and he immediately told me to stop the medicine. This was my first time on this pill. Diltiazem ER 120mg. 1 at bedtime."

DANIEL112 (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking Diltiazem 360 mg once a day for about 10 years along with 20 mg per day of Lisinopril for high blood pressure. I am 58 years old. This combination has kept me at normal BP numbers all these years. The Diltiazem capsules are 180 mg each so obviously I have to take 2 capsules (at the same time). I have noticed in the last few months my BP gets pretty low...about 90/60 and even lower. Every time I bend over I get real lightheaded not to mention feeling tired all the time so I decided to take just one capsule per day of the diltiazem along with the Lisinopril and in the last 3 days of doing so I feel 100% better! I think the 360mg is too much for me now maybe because I am getting older. My BP now stays about 117/73."

Nanny Robyn (taken for 10 years or more) January 13, 2014

Cartia XT (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: "Had high blood pressure episode of 200/120. A combination of acute stress, not enough exercise, pre-diabetic, dehydration, and not watching sodium intake. Moderately fit and no overweight. ER gave me metoprolol 100mg a day and developed an antagonistic/allergic reaction sending me back to the ER. Started on losartan 25mg for two days and BP didn't go down as expected. Stress test show normal everything except for borderline BP and rapid heart rate 112. Cardiologist put me in 120mg Cartia XT. Took a first dose last night, BP dropped 80/60 77 no symptoms, had water and feet up. Woke up with 100/70 82 laying down an 110/70 86 standing up. So far ringing of the ears, I hear my heart sounds and dry mouth. It's working so far. I will take it in the morning instead."

arito December 7, 2013