User Reviews for Flecainide

Supraventricular Tachycardia
4.3

Summary of Flecainide reviews 8.0 101 reviews

Reviews for Flecainide

For Atrial Fibrillation: "At 40, I had my first ablation and began taking Metoprolol 50mg daily. Over the years, I've developed CHF, Bradycardia, SVT, A-Flutter and A-Fib. In March '11 I received a pacemaker and metoprolol doses have tripled over the years. Had my 4th ablation in 2012. Recently found a new doctor (ins change) who reduced metoprolol from 150mg to 12.5mg/2x daily, and added on 50mg of Flecainide 2x daily. I was nearly bedridden for two weeks afterwards with cardiac events, 3 ambulance trips to the E.R. and no quality of life; I had given up all hope. And then miraculously, in the past 5 days, it feels like my heart has BASICALLY healed. I just got home from a 1.5 mile walk in the 100°+ Arizona heat; no arrhythmias and energy levels are back up! Give this medicine time to work. It took a few weeks, but I'm here. I turned 51 four weeks ago & haven't felt this WELL in 11 years. Flecainide isn't for everyone, but it saved my life! Thx for reading. May God Bless you along your journey."

Tee Dubbz September 28, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "I have been on flecainide for a year and a half...50 mg every 12 hours for frequent Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) ...over 29000 per day...verapimal and metoprolol has no effect but after 1 month on the flecainide, the PVCs decreased to less than 100 per day! Amazing response...BUT after 18 months on it, feel worse than I did with all those PVCs!! Numbness in hands and feet, dizziness, extreme fatigue...and memory issues...Sick feeling ....I was advised by my primary care doctor to just stay STOP the med, but afraid to do that until I see my cardiologist...Does anyone have experience with titrating down dosage on Flecainide...? It works, but at what cost to overall health. Is the heath cost worth it...? The black box warning for this drug is of concern for an arrhythmia that may or may not be life threatening..."

BellaD42 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 20, 2018

For Ventricular Tachycardia: "After many years of recurrent PVC’s and ventricular tachycardia (and many different beta blockers) I was put on flecainide. It put ALL my symptoms to rest. I don't appear to have side effects but get more headaches than usual ."

Dave (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2018

For Atrial Fibrillation: "In June admitted for afib after having had a ablation in March, I was on sotalol 80 mg 2 xs daily for 3 months. Then off it, after 3 wks I had afib, the Dr gave me 300 mg of flecanide and toporal, it almost killed me and I haven't been right since. Now trying sotolol again, but having a hard time, I think due to the flecanide in the hospital, I have no quality of life, I always did yoga and exercised 2 times a week and a dance class once a week, this is not a drug for me."

nicko (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2018

For Atrial Fibrillation: "This stuff almost killed me. I went from active and alive, to sedentary and out of breathe. Dizzy spells, weakness, chest pain, lightheadedness, insomnia and basically feeling like garbage. I would stop breathing when sitting up in a chair if I happened to doze off. Finally, the doctor listened to me and took me off it completely. I am now going to wear a monitor for 30 days and then be evaluated for ablation. My Afib was only happening about every 4 months and had only happened 3 times. Flecainide reduced my quality of life from excellent to horrible in 3 short weeks. I am DONE!"

posterchildforsideeffects (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2018

For Atrial Fibrillation: "This medication literally killed my mom. They increased it from 50mg to 150 mg twice a day after pacemaker and she slowly declined. Shortness of breath, severe weakness, nausea, no appetite. After 3 months she became toxic from the flecaenide and collapsed at my house. Called the ambulance and she passed away within 21 hours. Total organ shutdown. Her death certificate said flecaenide toxicity. PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH THIS MED AND INSIST THEY CHANGE IT IF YOU GET ANY OF THESE SYMPTOMS. I had Mom to the cardiologist on Monday with Doppler, blood work, echo, EKG, and pacer check but NO flecainide level was done. All tests were perfect. Called Dr on Tues because she could not even walk. They said she had fluid overload and increased diuretic. She was gone by Thursday. She went from a fit, beautiful, energetic lady in Sept to gone in December. "

MissingMyMom January 29, 2018

For Atrial Fibrillation: "After years of severe AF and trials of sotalol and beta blockers - which didn't control the symptoms and left me with no quality of life - memory loss, muscle aches and tiredness. Flecainide has changed it all. I still get a little bit of AF but not as severe or lasting as long. More like a wee flutter. I take 100mg CR per day at night with food. I have stopped taking sotalol in the morning - I am 59 years old female."

young of heart January 10, 2018

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I am extremely sensative to my AFib. Tried many meds and combination thereof when first diagnosed but they didn't work. In desperation went to a specialist and he put me on Flecainide. This is the only drug that works for me. My AFib ceased immediately and rarely have I had breakthroughs. I have had no ill affects from the medicine and have been on it for over 8 years. I could not function without it."

Irish531 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 9, 2018

For Atrial Flutter: "I started taking Flecainide Acetate , it was prescribed for two 100 mg tablets twice a day. I took one the first day and no ill affects. Took the second one the next day and during the night had a bad attack of diarrhea for over twenty minutes in the bathroom. After that it hit again about two hours later the same thing. I won't do into details about what happen then, but I had a bad problem with it. I never had anything like that in my entire life. will talk to the doctor tomorrow about it , or his nurse. Last time I had a bad reaction from a medicine I told the doctor and she said ( it might of been a virus) I had viruses all my life including the flu, and none every acted like this one did."

Joe Won November 27, 2017

Tambocor (flecainide) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I have been on Tambacor for 7 years now and in the past 2 years I have been having dizzy spells, almost blackout, panic attacks for no reason, breathing problems out of the blue, eyes are blurring up more and more each year, no energy, weak muscles and not for lack of trying I just can't get them to tone up so I consider myself weak. My tummy gets upset ringing in the ears and the most annoying other than the dizziness is the low blood pressure it just drops so times! These are all symptoms for this drug. I was in denial for a long time as these side effects were minimal and just became worse . I'm not on any other drug. I'll have to go off it but what's next??"

Gcarddeededed (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 22, 2017

For Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I have been on Flecainide for 3 months. It has totally eliminated my PSVT. I am on 100 mg twice a day. I have not noticed any side effects. I wonder if I should go through with the planned ablation."

xMooneyDriver (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: "After ER episode for atrial fib (which I believe was one-time stress-induced issue) I was bullied into taking this med by hospital upon discharge. My job as a knowledge worker requires me to *think* for a living. I'm considered an expert in my field. This damn drug put me in a mental fog to the point that I stared at the computer screen wondering what I was looking at. My mood became aggressive, depressed and I felt increasingly isolated, listless, tired, but hard to sleep. I gained about 15 lb with no change in diet, in fact I probably ate less. I lost desire for my usual workout routine. After weaning off after 6 months, and now taking only daily aspirin, I'm back to my happy self, focussed and motivated. This is a bad drug, IMO."

Janet-L September 23, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Life long history of slight double vision (1 diopter). Within 4 days of usage, developed severe increase of double vision (estimate 10-15 diopters). Ceased usage and symptoms decreased by half within 1 day. Now, 3 days later and recover continues but not fully back to ordinary."

Bob Grif September 14, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: "2008 A Fib diagnoses after 2 years of dizziness and feeling "odd"otherwise fit and healthy. 4 Cardio versions and 2 catheter ablations under my belt now. First Doc prescribed cardio version and Amiodorone , horrible side effects. Went to a Cardiologist that specializes in A Fib. Tried two ablations. Effective for a awhile but after last cardio version prescribed Flecainide. Still get breakthroughs for short durations but the strange feelings and emotional drain after incidences are the most debilitating. I just take a Klonopin and a nap. 100mg twice a day every 12 hours. 73 year old Female"

Tai Ngaruru (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 22, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Benign artrial fibrillation. Cardiologist tried everything -- next step was surgery. Was having from 10-15 six hour episodes per month and ruining quality of life. Have been on flecainide for 2 years and it is now completely under control. Only episodes I've had were a year ago during a bronchitis episode but as soon as antibiotics kicked in the a-fib was gone again. Absolutely no side effects and this medicine has changed my life."

Melodye3 May 10, 2017

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "Following a knee replacement over two years ago I developed SVT...a runner for 35 years, I couldn't believe I had any issue with my heart. Hypertension, mainly due to heredity, but that is about all I can complain about. I lived with the problem for a year until 1/2016 when my doctor put me on metoprolol...this stuff was terrible. My heart rate would drop to below 50..or go higher than 90. Again I lived with this medication for a year until I thought about cardiac ablation. Before considering this method, my NEW Doctor prescribed flecainide. This was a game changer for me. Though I still have a "skip", I am functional and have much more energy and overall better wellness than I had not had for years."

rellimlm (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Flecainide has controlled the a-fib, but I have a constantly cold nose and my mouth feels like I've had lidocaine sprayed like before dental work. Some days it's worse than other days. I take 100 mg twice a day with 25mg metropolol. After two cardioversions, I'm willing to give flecainide a chance. I've been taking it for six months and hope the side effects don't get worse with time."

Bloha (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Drug was great for one year. Today afib pops up much more frequently"

Effectiveness (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 9, 2017

For Ventricular Tachycardia: "I was put on Flecainide several months ago. Side effects were fatigue, and dizziness. Effects were interfering with my life (had to pull over if driving and my commute to work is at least and hour each way). Fatigue was robbing me of being able to enjoy activities. I have stopped taking and am looking into other treatment options."

Not an old lady yet! February 8, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I've been taking 50mg of flecainide twice a day for 2 years now and still love it. I have had no incidences of afib and no side effects. I do like my alcohol and have 1-2 drinks daily. I believe the flecainide keeps me from having an alcohol related episode which my doctor believes is my trigger. I agree with him but also think dehydration, dieting and stress have been contributing factors as well, and again, the flecainide overrides them all. I'm sure it's not perfect for everyone, but for me it's been a godsend."

rozebot (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 9, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I've been on Flecainide for about 3 months. Before, I was having Afib everyday, usually at night for over a year. And even after taking other medications prior to Flecainide , it would take several hours before the Afib would go away. It was a terrible existence. Since taking Flecainide, I have had NO Afib. This to me has been remarkable. The side effects for me are mainly tiredness for a couple of hours after taking it. It might give me constipation but I really think that diet plays a greater role. Eating more fiber and veggies, and less meat is better for me. I have been taking Flecainide once in the early afternoon and then once usually an hour before bedtime, each time with 100 mg. I wonder if I can stop taking it in the future?"

MarilynSF December 16, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "No side effects. Keeps my afib in check. I have to stay cool or I can go into Afib. I take 100 mg twice a day."

Lilarene October 13, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Three months ago, because of paroxysmal afib and after wearing an event monitor, I was put on both Flecainide (50 mg twice per day) and Metoprolol (50mg at night). The original dose was Flecainide 100 mg twice per day, but when I told the cardiologist that I didn't like the way it made me feel, he immediately said "Well OK, just take half the amount each time", as though the difference wasn't a big deal! The Flecainide seems to be working, but instead of feeling better I am feeling progressively worse by the day. Not sure whether Flecainide is to blame or the Metoprolol. Feel I'm in a dream most of the time, excessive daytime sleepiness, slight dizziness, memory problems, depression. Hard to get hold of cardiologist."

Nanfran (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Flecainide has given me my life back. I have had NO side effects....maybe the first week or two it didn't take effect immediately.. but I love this med. It has changed my life for the better after suffering from long bouts of atrial fibrillation.."

Besami September 28, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Beware of this drug. My mother was put on this drug in addition to diltiazem. It sucked all the life out of her. She got tremors; couldn't walk 100 meters without catching a breath. Major fatigue and weight gain. If you're sensitive to meds, do not use this drug. She will stop this drug today."

bad_drug_finder July 28, 2016