User Reviews for Flecainide

Supraventricular Tachycardia 5.8
Summary of Flecainide reviews 7.8 123 reviews

Reviews for Flecainide

Steve · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 24, 2020

For Atrial Fibrillation: “For 2 years I have taken flecainide 50mg twice a day for Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation and it works great, to the point of being able to work hard at the gym daily. I had previously tried 100mg once a day and also 50mg once a day. But it didn't work as well for me. I have an active life because of this drug.”

Tach May 1, 2020

For Atrial Fibrillation: “I've been using the "pill(s) in the pocket" approach for over two years now for treating my paroxymal atrial fibralation. I take metoprolol tartrate100 mg first--30 minutes after onset of afib, and then I take flecainide acetate 300 mg if the afib has not resolved 30 minutes after taking the metoprolol tartrate). I've had 15 afib episodes in the last 26 months. Only one (1) of the 15 episodes resolved with metoprolol tartrate only. All the other episodes required taking the flecainide acetate to resolve the afib. I've returned to a regular heart rhythm within 2-4 hours after taking the flecainide acetate for all these afib episodes. It is very effective in restoring a normal rhythm for me, but takes several days to feel normal again. The most notable side effect for me is bradycardia (slowing my heart rate to the 40's), making even very limited exercise uncomfortable.”

Premodremo · Taken for 10 years or more March 29, 2020

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I have SVT I've had it since I was 14 I am 40 .. I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder because they thought my heart racing was anxiety... the truth be told I don't have any anxiety.. Well truth be to told the only anxiety I have is why my heart races.. I've been on flecadine for 12 years. I've had no issues except the last 2 weeks my heart started having PVCs.. I've never had these before . This knocks the wind out of me. I go to see my cardiologist on Monday will see what's going on”

seasong · Taken for less than 1 month March 20, 2020

For Atrial Fibrillation: “I was diagnosed AFib 5 months age. I took Flecainide 4 weeks ago, 50 mg twice a day. But I suffered all the side effect listed, both mentally and physically. I reduced the dosage to 25mg, the 16.5 mg. I still suffered the side effect, though no AFib episode even with the last small dose. I stopped taking it 5 days ago. A episode happened last night. It converted after 15 minute jogging with modest speed at 9:00 this morning. Before taking Flecainide, I could alway convert an episode to sinus rate with a run. I wonder should I restart taking the medicine? Will the side effects eventually go? My episode mostly started during sleep. Running seems more and more unpractical. Many thanks”

Happy in Florida · Taken for 10 years or more February 4, 2020

For Atrial Fibrillation: “I have been on Flecainide (Tambocor) since 1985. While I've Arrhythemogenic Right Ventricular Dysplasia , in addition to it I also have multipe sinus nodes, 4 leaking valves and a small hole (PFO). This medication flecainide is keeping me alive. Over the years I've asked doctors if there is anything else that I can take. They've tried so many other drugs there isn't enough space to list them! I've been in GW Hospital, several other hospitals and finally wound up in NIH. That's where I was diagnosed. Like many of you, I've passed out and actually had my heart pump backwards due to wrong meds. I've had ablations with no success. I've had EPS studies and dye pumped into my heart. At this point in my life, now 73 in 2020, I've just accepted the fact that this drug is keeping me alive. Finally after years of fighting the cost, Costco had the lowest price but now using GoodRx, I'm able to pay only $38.08 for 100mg 2x day for 90 days at my local grocery store, Publix. I'm a happy camper.”

MrBill · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 29, 2020

For Atrial Fibrillation: “On 50mg of flecainide for about 3 years. Then Afib reoccurred. Converted almost instantly when dose doubled. Has worked for 7 more years. Had Afib episode today. Took 2 flecainide pills and in :15 min, got reg sinus rhythm back. Now it’s wait and see. Will continue taking 100 mg 2X/daily like I have past 7 years. Has worked like magic until today.”

Chubby · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 15, 2020

For Ventricular Tachycardia: “I started having symptoms of fast heartbeat, dizziness and pain on side of my head when I was just cleaning my house. Almost passed out one day while driving and had to pull off to the side of the road. Went to ER, they said I was fine but I followed up with my doctor who referred me to a cardiologist that put a heart monitor on for 24 hours. He called me right away and told me to go to ER because heart was very out of rhythm. They admitted me, kept me three days and started me on 100 mg Flecainide every 12 hours with lopresser. That was in 2016. I have gained about 40 pounds, can’t breathe, water retention all the time and feel like crap. I’m not sure which drug is causing weight gain, but I feel like taking my chances and stopping all of it. After a month I talked to my cardiologist and they reduced my Flecainide to50 mg twice a day because my vision was awful, double and blurry. That’s why I am on this site now, to see the symptoms of everyone else.”

Al · Taken for less than 1 month December 27, 2019

For Atrial Fibrillation: “My heart would race on average once every 10 days and typically when I'm jogging. After many tests, Dr said I have paroxysmal atrial fibrillation and added Flecainide 50mg (twice a day) to my other drugs. I started on a Tuesday and stopped on Saturday. Wednesday had 4 episodes, Thursday had 9, Friday had over 12, Saturday stopped counting. One episode had to put my face in ice water to bring back my heart to normal pace (Vagal maneuver). Sunday decided to stop Flecainide and over the next 5 days felt better and better, by the following Friday had no episodes. Flecainide is right for many people, but for some reason I did not feel well on it.”

Touch · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 4, 2019

For Ventricular Tachycardia: “I had Chronic PAC’s and Pvc’s and I was having “episodes” so frequently that I was afraid I was going to have a heart attack. After being diagnosed with PAC’s and PVC's. I was put on 50 mg of Flecainide. Didn’t help much. Once we got to 150 mg 2x per day they stopped. I had 972 episodes during the 4 Weeks I wore the event monitor. Quality of life is much better.”

Biburybill · Taken for 10 years or more October 31, 2019

For Atrial Fibrillation: “I had catheter ablation twice but atrial fibrillation (AF) continued I then had a pacemaker fitted but my hearts sinus node not been ablated .After taking flecainide for 12 years my consultant told me to stop flecainide? He is not sure if my heart is now ok and taken over or whether its the pacemaker but he confused me he said my pacemaker isn't pacing my heart and doesn't kick in if i go in AF or tachy so bit concerned whats going on also now told me to go on blood thinner because he says AF patients have more chance of stroke but I have not had AF for 12 years anyone know whats going on ?”

Alf · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 17, 2019

For Ventricular Tachycardia: “Have dealt with PVCs, PACs and ventricular tachycardia for 30 years. The last year my PVCS became trigeminy or every third beat was a skip. I feel these skips so it was a severe quality of life issue for me. My cardiologist started me on 50mg of flecainide every 12 hours. I have been taking it for three months and 95% of my PVCs and 100% of my tach is gone. I do get tired often and lightheaded from time to time but a small price to pay for the elimination of my symptoms. Hope my good fortune with this drug continues.”

Bicycleman · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 11, 2019

For Ventricular Tachycardia: “I was put on flecainide about 6 weeks ago - 100 mg twice a day. It immediately stopped my Ventricular tachycardia. But cardiologist didn’t tell me that there is a loading period to be followed by a lower maintenance period. So while felt good in the beginning, after 3 to 5 days on the same dose, I became fatigued and worse, I couldn’t get a good breath of air. Without doc’s input I rolled back to 50 mg twice a day and now I’m at 25 mg twice a day. I still have mild breathlessness, the bigger issue is it won’t let my heart get past 108 bpm. I’m thinking of dropping it altogether. I have an ICD so it will pace me out of VT. I’m very active and will likely get an ablation. Drugs are hard for me to live with.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2019

For Atrial Fibrillation: “I started taking this drug (50mg x 2/day) after diltiazem (2+years) failed to get me through the night without AFIB. The first two weeks weren't pleasant, with lots of AFIB. Then, when I moved my 180mg Diltiazem ER from breakfast to lunchtime things improved. I take the Flecainide at breakfast and dinner time. After three weeks my AFIB has been much reduced and I sleep through the night. However, I also started acupuncture and that may be a factor. Acupuncture was proven potentially effective by the Univ. of Minnesota. I firmly believe in trying everything to beat this miserable affliction. .”

Getwellsoonbro · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2019

Tambocor (flecainide) for Atrial Fibrillation: “My bro was diagnosed having AFib not long ago and doc prescribed Concor once a day and tambocor 50mg twice a day. It works well on the first 3 days and he had slow heart rate , fluttering, shortness of breath , shakiness comes all together on the 4th day. It's seem like getting worse after taking this drug , it's just not for him and doc agree to take him off now. Trying on new meds next week and I hope that one will work well on him. Having shortness of breath n feel weak is really terrifying..”

Cos September 15, 2019

For Atrial Fibrillation: “Currently taking Flecainide 75mg twice a day as I have AF I’ve been taking the med for 3 months. First it was 50mg twice a day. I didn’t take the increased dose until 2 weeks ago because of mild short lived irregularities again. My AF episodes were increasing in frequency that being the reason for this medication. My longest episodes before were 32 - 48hour stretches at its worst. I also take Metoprolol. I’m scheduled for an ablation soon. I didn’t want to rush into anything. I wonder if needing the medication increased in a short period of time could be predictive of it being less effective over a long term? I’ve read sooner rather than later for better outcomes with ablations. Difficult to know. Thanks”

Rt · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 10, 2019

For Atrial Fibrillation: “Very bitter taste”

Nana · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 5, 2019

For Ventricular Tachycardia: “I have been on flecanaide for a year and a half now for v-tach. It works great no side effects and no arrhythmic episodes.”

The MAMIL · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 23, 2019

For Atrial Fibrillation: “I have used Flecainide as a "Pill in the pocket" medication to reverse Atrial Fibrillation which it has successfully done at least half a dozen times within 48 hours of going in to AF. I currently take it regularly to avoid going into AF entirely and it has been successful in that respect for the last 6 months save for 1 occasion after a very physical bike ride, which reverted to sinus rhythm within 12 hours. Overall it continues to be a drug that clearly performs well to control my AF.”

In Rhythym · Taken for less than 1 month June 15, 2019

For Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I've been dealing with paroxysmal AFib for 4 years. I am a healthy, athletic 64 year old male. After my first episode, cardiologist did all the tests, echocardiogram etc. Heart is structurally healthy. He put me on Toprol 25 mg twice a day. Didn't get another episode for about 2yrs. AFIB returned more frequently maybe once every 6 months, and has increased to almost weekly. I always self convert after 6-8 hours but it is very annoying. And I'm very afraid of a stroke as I was not on any blood thinners. New cardiologist put me on 50mg flecainide 2x a day, toprol XR and Xarelto. So far not one incident. Flecainide seems to be working wonderfully. No side effects except for being a little tired. We'll see how this works I want to avoid in ablation if I can help it.”

AJ · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 18, 2019

For Atrial Fibrillation: “I had a pacemaker implant 18 months ago and was immediately put on this flecainide. I have chronic asthmatic bronchitis which is treated with Advair and Sprivia. I've had 9 AF events in 5 months, getting tired easily, having muscle weakness, arthritic pain and tendon pain the feet. I've been to the podiatrist and a rheumatologist and neither has been able to identify the reason for the pain. I suspect flecainide is the source of the weakness. I'm doing internet searches hoping to stumble on a reason. Hopefully, it's not old age.”

Heaven311 · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2019

For Atrial Fibrillation: “I was put on flecainide after going into a fib (atrial fibrillation) during surgery and am suffering side effects. Since taking it almost a month now, I am constantly out of breath. Even sitting down I feel as though I can’t breath. I have those feelings of needing to yawn but nothing happens. I also have anxiety and this is triggering my anxiety even more. By the way, this is the second time I’ve tried flecainide and both times it did this to me. I refuse to try it again. My a fib doesn’t happen unless I drink too much caffeine so I’m opting to cut caffeine completely out rather than live like this. It’s horrible.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2018

For Atrial Fibrillation: “I found flecainide increased my A.F episodes. I had 12 episodes in 10 months then put on flecainide.I then had 32 episodes in a month. It felt awful.Certainly not for me.”

Tee Dubbz September 28, 2018

For Atrial Fibrillation: “At 40, I had my first ablation and began taking Metoprolol 50mg daily. Over the years, I've developed CHF, Bradycardia, SVT, A-Flutter and A-Fib. In March '11 I received a pacemaker and metoprolol doses have tripled over the years. Had my 4th ablation in 2012. Recently found a new doctor (ins change) who reduced metoprolol from 150mg to 12.5mg/2x daily, and added on 50mg of Flecainide 2x daily. I was nearly bedridden for two weeks afterwards with cardiac events, 3 ambulance trips to the E.R. and no quality of life; I had given up all hope. And then miraculously, in the past 5 days, it feels like my heart has BASICALLY healed. I just got home from a 1.5 mile walk in the 100°+ Arizona heat; no arrhythmias and energy levels are back up! Give this medicine time to work. It took a few weeks, but I'm here. I turned 51 four weeks ago & haven't felt this WELL in 11 years. Flecainide isn't for everyone, but it saved my life! Thx for reading. May God Bless you along your journey.”

BellaD42 · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 20, 2018

“I have been on flecainide for a year and a half...50 mg every 12 hours for frequent Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) ...over 29000 per day...verapimal and metoprolol has no effect but after 1 month on the flecainide, the PVCs decreased to less than 100 per day! Amazing response...BUT after 18 months on it, feel worse than I did with all those PVCs!! Numbness in hands and feet, dizziness, extreme fatigue...and memory issues...Sick feeling ....I was advised by my primary care doctor to just stay STOP the med, but afraid to do that until I see my cardiologist...Does anyone have experience with titrating down dosage on Flecainide...? It works, but at what cost to overall health. Is the heath cost worth it...? The black box warning for this drug is of concern for an arrhythmia that may or may not be life threatening...”

Dave · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 17, 2018

For Ventricular Tachycardia: “After many years of recurrent PVC’s and ventricular tachycardia (and many different beta blockers) I was put on flecainide. It put ALL my symptoms to rest. I don't appear to have side effects but get more headaches than usual .”