User Reviews for Flecainide

Also known as: Tambocor

Flecainide Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 36 medications used in the treatment of Atrial Fibrillation.

Reviews for Flecainide to treat Atrial Fibrillation

"This stuff almost killed me. I went from active and alive, to sedentary and out of breathe. Dizzy spells, weakness, chest pain, lightheadedness, insomnia and basically feeling like garbage. I would stop breathing when sitting up in a chair if I happened to doze off. Finally, the doctor listened to me and took me off it completely. I am now going to wear a monitor for 30 days and then be evaluated for ablation. My Afib was only happening about every 4 months and had only happened 3 times. Flecainide reduced my quality of life from excellent to horrible in 3 short weeks. I am DONE!"

posterchildforsideeffects (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2018

"This medication literally killed my mom. They increased it from 50mg to 150 mg twice a day after pacemaker and she slowly declined. Shortness of breath, severe weakness, nausea, no appetite. After 3 months she became toxic from the flecaenide and collapsed at my house. Called the ambulance and she passed away within 21 hours. Total organ shutdown. Her death certificate said flecaenide toxicity. PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH THIS MED AND INSIST THEY CHANGE IT IF YOU GET ANY OF THESE SYMPTOMS. I had Mom to the cardiologist on Monday with Doppler, blood work, echo, EKG, and pacer check but NO flecainide level was done. All tests were perfect. Called Dr on Tues because she could not even walk. They said she had fluid overload and increased diuretic. She was gone by Thursday. She went from a fit, beautiful, energetic lady in Sept to gone in December. "

MissingMyMom January 29, 2018

"After years of severe AF and trials of sotalol and beta blockers - which didn't control the symptoms and left me with no quality of life - memory loss, muscle aches and tiredness. Flecainide has changed it all. I still get a little bit of AF but not as severe or lasting as long. More like a wee flutter. I take 100mg CR per day at night with food. I have stopped taking sotalol in the morning - I am 59 years old female."

young of heart January 10, 2018

"I am extremely sensative to my AFib. Tried many meds and combination thereof when first diagnosed but they didn't work. In desperation went to a specialist and he put me on Flecainide. This is the only drug that works for me. My AFib ceased immediately and rarely have I had breakthroughs. I have had no ill affects from the medicine and have been on it for over 8 years. I could not function without it."

Irish531 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 9, 2018

"After ER episode for atrial fib (which I believe was one-time stress-induced issue) I was bullied into taking this med by hospital upon discharge. My job as a knowledge worker requires me to *think* for a living. I'm considered an expert in my field. This damn drug put me in a mental fog to the point that I stared at the computer screen wondering what I was looking at. My mood became aggressive, depressed and I felt increasingly isolated, listless, tired, but hard to sleep. I gained about 15 lb with no change in diet, in fact I probably ate less. I lost desire for my usual workout routine. After weaning off after 6 months, and now taking only daily aspirin, I'm back to my happy self, focussed and motivated. This is a bad drug, IMO."

Janet-L September 23, 2017

"Life long history of slight double vision (1 diopter). Within 4 days of usage, developed severe increase of double vision (estimate 10-15 diopters). Ceased usage and symptoms decreased by half within 1 day. Now, 3 days later and recover continues but not fully back to ordinary."

Bob Grif September 14, 2017

"2008 A Fib diagnoses after 2 years of dizziness and feeling "odd"otherwise fit and healthy. 4 Cardio versions and 2 catheter ablations under my belt now. First Doc prescribed cardio version and Amiodorone , horrible side effects. Went to a Cardiologist that specializes in A Fib. Tried two ablations. Effective for a awhile but after last cardio version prescribed Flecainide. Still get breakthroughs for short durations but the strange feelings and emotional drain after incidences are the most debilitating. I just take a Klonopin and a nap. 100mg twice a day every 12 hours. 73 year old Female"

Tai Ngaruru (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 22, 2017

"Benign artrial fibrillation. Cardiologist tried everything -- next step was surgery. Was having from 10-15 six hour episodes per month and ruining quality of life. Have been on flecainide for 2 years and it is now completely under control. Only episodes I've had were a year ago during a bronchitis episode but as soon as antibiotics kicked in the a-fib was gone again. Absolutely no side effects and this medicine has changed my life."

Melodye3 May 10, 2017

"Flecainide has controlled the a-fib, but I have a constantly cold nose and my mouth feels like I've had lidocaine sprayed like before dental work. Some days it's worse than other days. I take 100 mg twice a day with 25mg metropolol. After two cardioversions, I'm willing to give flecainide a chance. I've been taking it for six months and hope the side effects don't get worse with time."

Bloha (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2017

"Drug was great for one year. Today afib pops up much more frequently"

Effectiveness (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 9, 2017

"I've been taking 50mg of flecainide twice a day for 2 years now and still love it. I have had no incidences of afib and no side effects. I do like my alcohol and have 1-2 drinks daily. I believe the flecainide keeps me from having an alcohol related episode which my doctor believes is my trigger. I agree with him but also think dehydration, dieting and stress have been contributing factors as well, and again, the flecainide overrides them all. I'm sure it's not perfect for everyone, but for me it's been a godsend."

rozebot (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 9, 2017

"I've been on Flecainide for about 3 months. Before, I was having Afib everyday, usually at night for over a year. And even after taking other medications prior to Flecainide , it would take several hours before the Afib would go away. It was a terrible existence. Since taking Flecainide, I have had NO Afib. This to me has been remarkable. The side effects for me are mainly tiredness for a couple of hours after taking it. It might give me constipation but I really think that diet plays a greater role. Eating more fiber and veggies, and less meat is better for me. I have been taking Flecainide once in the early afternoon and then once usually an hour before bedtime, each time with 100 mg. I wonder if I can stop taking it in the future?"

MarilynSF December 16, 2016

"No side effects. Keeps my afib in check. I have to stay cool or I can go into Afib. I take 100 mg twice a day."

Lilarene October 13, 2016

"Three months ago, because of paroxysmal afib and after wearing an event monitor, I was put on both Flecainide (50 mg twice per day) and Metoprolol (50mg at night). The original dose was Flecainide 100 mg twice per day, but when I told the cardiologist that I didn't like the way it made me feel, he immediately said "Well OK, just take half the amount each time", as though the difference wasn't a big deal! The Flecainide seems to be working, but instead of feeling better I am feeling progressively worse by the day. Not sure whether Flecainide is to blame or the Metoprolol. Feel I'm in a dream most of the time, excessive daytime sleepiness, slight dizziness, memory problems, depression. Hard to get hold of cardiologist."

Nanfran (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2016

"Flecainide has given me my life back. I have had NO side effects....maybe the first week or two it didn't take effect immediately.. but I love this med. It has changed my life for the better after suffering from long bouts of atrial fibrillation.."

Besami September 28, 2016

"Beware of this drug. My mother was put on this drug in addition to diltiazem. It sucked all the life out of her. She got tremors; couldn't walk 100 meters without catching a breath. Major fatigue and weight gain. If you're sensitive to meds, do not use this drug. She will stop this drug today."

bad_drug_finder July 28, 2016

"afters years of Sotalol and many AF attacks Flecanide has been a wonder drug for me, I get tired but don't blame flecanide thats to easy, many things cause tiredness!"

moveon (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 18, 2016

"I had the first afib experience in 2004 (age 63)while playing senior softball, took shock paddles to convert. Kept playing sports and had second episode in 2007, converted with Amiodarone. Stayed on that until new doctor (insurance changed), took me off without a replacement, re-ocurrence couple months later, restarted on Amiodarone for conversion. Back with original doctor, kept up Amiodarone and all the blood work, x-rays, pulmonary function tests, etc. required semi-annual till 2014. Finally (after more tests) was switched to 100 mg. Flecanide & 12.5 mg. Metoprolol twice daily, with no semi-annual tests. So far-so good, except for some arthritis ? issues, still active in sports (senior). Hopefully this will stay with me."

PJ&co July 13, 2016

"After a number of inconvenient and stressful visits to ER where I had an injected dose of flecainide ( which put me back into sinus rhythm) my cardiologist prescribed me 200 mg of Flec tabs plus 50 mg of metropolol on going into AF. It works a treat reversing me in 1 to 3 hours but I'm hoping doesn't lead to some of the side effects described in other articles on the net."

Jac 71 year old male January 24, 2016

"This medication (Flecainide) was prescribed as well as Cardizem CD for chronic A-Fib although nothing was found wrong with my heart, electrical or plumbing. Serious side effects occurred and I stopped taking them, took me three months to recover from the meds. Did my own research and learned that Fosamax was actually responsible for my A-Fib. The Doctors at the Heart Hospital didn't have a clue. Has been four years now and no A-Fib and absolutely no meds! This was a nightmare experience! Female, 74 years old."

mehrstetten (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2015

"I don't ever like taking new medicines especially those that can have severe side effects. I started taking Flecainide 50 mg 2 x a day on October 13th as my paroxysmal atrial fib was getting more and more common. Before this year I would get afib once a month. Then it started happening a few times a week, sometimes more. My cardiologist prescribed Flecainide because the afib was affecting my quality of life. So far it is definitely working to keep my heart in rythym., No abnormalities that I know of. However I do have a slight headache most of the time and feel fatigued a lot and sometimes feel a little like I am not taking a full breath. I am trying to see if these symptoms subside."

patae (taken for less than 1 month) October 29, 2015

"I started having A Fib in 2003, after 3 trips to the hospital my Dr put me on Flecainide 100mg twice a day and 50 mg of metoprolol I have not had a single episode until 4 days ago, I went to my cardioigist this morning and he told me to take 300 mg of Flecainide tonight and if that did not get me back into normal rythem I will have a cardioversion 2 days from now."

weezee October 6, 2015

"Had AFib for 6 months. Did the cardio version once. Went on this drug 5 days later tried cardio version again and it worked. Been on drug now for 10 days. Feeling tired have shortness of breath with even light exercise like walking around the block. Also headaches not happy about it"

A fib (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2015

"Only on it for 8 days. After 5 days started having shortness of breath, muscle spasms in upper back, pounding heart rate, fatigue, stiffness in neck and face."

bilswyfe (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2015

"I have been treated for AFib for about 6 years, after a long episode resulted in an ER visit. My dosage was raised to 100mg x2 per day after a short period of 50 mg, which didn't entirely prevent Afib. I have experienced some blurring of vision, dizziness, and fatigue, but have always dismissed as minor. I am starting to exercise more and am worried that the medication will prevent me from getting enough air/oxygen in my system."

Ardobeltza July 27, 2015