User Reviews for Xarelto

Learn more about Xarelto.

Pulmonary Embolism, Recurrent Event 1 reviews 3 medications

Prevention of Thromb...ial Fibrillation 4 reviews 40 medications

2.3
Summary of Xarelto reviews 90 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Xarelto

For Atrial Fibrillation "Experience initially- hives which disappeared after a few days- replaced by rash and itching on my ankles and feet which continues. Also woozy and light headedness continues."

Anonymous January 14, 2017

For Pulmonary Embolism "I take xarelto for pulmonary embolisms and for dvt. My son takes it for dvt. We both have Factor 5. We both experience really bad leg pain, we both have chest pains, pains in hands and arms. We both feel very cold all the time. There are more symptoms but that is the worse symptoms. I have been on xarelto for only 5 months. My son has been on it for 2-3 years. Without insurnce it is $375.00 a month. My insurance covers mine but he has no insurance. He keeps losing his jobs because he can't work due to blood clots and or his leg pain."

Tina Spaulding (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation "My mother is in the hospital now almost on her death bed from Xarelto. It caused her to have a gastrointestinal bleed and she has bloody fluid around her heart which had to be removed and she still has a chest tube for that, I don't recomment anyone to take this drug. It will kill you!"

Warningfolksofthisdrug December 27, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation "I'm a 50 yr old female who is still menstruating. I started this drug in the hospital and my cycle went from 3-5 days - up to 9 days then stopped. This month- I am on day 15 of an incredibly heavy cycle. I wear TWO extra long overnight pads ( which should last 10 hours) and I go through them in less than 2 hours. I started this drug after a mild stroke that seems to have been a by-product of A-fib . I didn't want Coumadin (aka Rat Poison) - and thought out of the 3 two-year old medicines left, this seemed to be the best for my active lifestyle. It is not. The bleeding is so heavy, I am exhausted. Pains in my feet adn ankles. Back pains, neck pains and Migraine like headaches on the opposite side of my stroke affected side. HELP!"

DameInDistress (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 13, 2016

For Deep Vein Thrombosis, Prophylaxis "Put on xarelto 15 mg twice a day for thrombosis in left arm. First week was awful. I was dizzy and light headed, especially within an hour of taking the medicine. My doctor did warn me I had to take with food and the same times every day. After a week, I am not feeling lightheaded. I do however have joint pain, especially in my hands. My joints hurt a lot once I wake in the morning. Have to take for another week twice per day then will be put on 20 mg once a day. Give it some time to work."

Mac, 34 Female (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation "Light pink bleeding from my throat and. sores on tongue. Sore. and cramps in feet and legs.pink blood in nose also.Tingling in fingers. Sore arms, stiff neck Stomach pain that goes to my back.Shortness of breath."

Hinz November 20, 2016

For Pulmonary Embolism "Have been on Xarelto for 2 1/2 yrs after pulmonary embolism. First 20mg, then 15mg, now 10 mg. Have experienced a lot of negative side effects. Muscle and skeletal pain, intense burning pain in legs and other parts of body. Limits my movement tremendously and has had a very negative effect on my lifestyle. Am in pain everyday even with pain killers. If I stop Xarelto for a few days feel a lot better and am able to walk without little pain. My doctor says it's my imagination. That pain is not coming from Xarelto! Frustrating."

survivorbels September 21, 2016

For Deep Vein Thrombosis "Very nauseous, hope hair does not fall out"

ywbeach (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2016

For Deep Vein Thrombosis "It has side effects. I cant treat it."

Temame September 13, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation "After starting Xarelto, I saw no change after a few days so I headed out to my sales territory. I decided to spend the night in Chattanooga. I urinated before midnight and thought I saw a slight pink tint to my urine. I got up to urinate about 2 hrs later and decided to pee in a cup. Defintely reddish. I used another cup about 4 am and when I got up about 5:30-6am. This time my urine looked like ketchup water......I canceled safety talks and headed home to see my doctor. Defintely had blood in my urine. He stopped Xaralto..... Back to Coumadin and monitoring."

deermeat48 August 21, 2016

For Pulmonary Embolism "i have had 2 incidences with DVT and PE in 2012 first one both, leg and lung, leg swelled was being told everything but DVT, went to hospital they found it. all the hospital things interventional radiology went in and shot PE with clot busters, icu 4 days heparin drip then lovenox shots came home on coumadin for 9 months, 3 years later massive PE only symptom with this was SOB, seen all the Dr's heart, hematologist, vascular, pulmonary, can't find the WHY this happened, taking Xarelto now for 10 months will be on it for life, i do not have any side effects that i am aware of, or that bother me,taking it religiously every night , only scary thing is no antidote as of now, and afraid it will come back, cat scans showed it has improved"

joanib August 5, 2016

For Deep Vein Thrombosis, Prophylaxis "I've only been on it 6 weeks. If you're going to let a Doctor prescribe this for you, make sure your doctor is going to be there through all of the side effects that come with it. I had to replace my first vascular surgeon already because he didn't care at all that my periods were now 16 days long. This drug may cause me to have another surgery to have an IUD put in to stop my periods completely. The claims on their website that this drug does not interact with food is untrue. There are complications just like being on the older medications. Find a doctor who knows everything about this drug before agreeing to be on it!"

MattJen July 13, 2016

For Deep Vein Thrombosis "I am a 37 whose body hates me. May 20th I had a hernia repair repair (1st surgery went bad). 3 weeks later I got an infection in my incision. Dr did a CT scan. That's when he saw the clot in my ovarian vein. 8 cm long. He admitted me to the hospital immediately. Was on heparin drip and strong antibiotics. After 2 days blood was flowing a tad bit better. Was put on Xarelto. So far it seems ok. Minor side effects. Sore back, very mild dizzy spells, sore stomach (maybe from surgery and infection) and some weird tingling in my mouth. Nothing major after being on it almost a month. I do have to be on it for 6 months total. Hope nothing else happens. I can handle the side effects I do have. Just hope it makes the clot go away."

Bad Luck (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2016

For Deep Vein Thrombosis "I've been taking Xarelto for 5 months for a blood clot brain . I've felt a range of side effects including : dizziness/vertigo, headaches, photosensitivity, lesions on my nose, ear and tongue, sinusitis, nausea, diarrhea, HEAVY menstrual bleeding, and general aches/fatigue. Basically, any kind of infection I get is much worse than it would be normally. I haven't had any major bleeding events, but my periods have been debilitatingly heavy. As far as effectiveness, it has worked for me and I have not developed any further clotting, which is the most important thing. Not sure if other blood thinners are as effective and have less severe side effects, but if they are, it probably would've been worth the extra trips to the doc for me."

Nickname1234 July 1, 2016

For Deep Vein Thrombosis, Prophylaxis "I had been taking warfarin for many years for Antiphospholipid syndrome and been pestering my Dr. if I could switch to Xarelto instead, as I'd had enough of the constant INR tests. Finally, my haematologist agreed. (The drug is not normally prescribed for my condition.) I was given 20mg to be taken once daily with breakfast. The first two weeks passed with no problems, but on the third week, I had a really bad dizzy spell and almost fainted. Fortunately, I managed to sit down before I did faint. I spoke to my haematologist and she suggested that I take it just before going to bed instead of the morning. So far it's worked. With my condition, migraines are a symptom and they have got slightly worse since taking Xarelto. But I still much prefer it to warfarin & INR tests!"

fizzypop (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2016

"My 23 year old son was diagnosed with a portal vein thrombosis. There was no reason, and after extensive testing still unable to determine why this happened to him. He was placed on Xarelto, and 3 months later, the thrombosis has completely cleared. He had very minimal side effects (some oral bleeding, fatigue, occasional headache) and I was thrilled he didn't have to deal with Coumadin. He is anxious to be done with the medication, but overall it has been pretty easy to deal with."

Anonymous June 3, 2016

For Pulmonary Embolism "Was rushed to the hospital with pulmonary embolisms in both lungs - one pressing on the right ventricle of the heart - platelets so low after heparin drip they didn't think I would survive. After a two hour trip in ambulance for an 11 day stay in major hospital, I was put on Xarelto twice a day for a week, then 20 mg daily. That was the beginning of Feb. - 4 months ago - I have been on Xarelto daily since then with no side effects at all. I was told I would have to be on it for life. I don't have any diet restrictions, but I do stay away from grapefruit - that is my own choice. I actually don't even realize I'm on this med when I don't think about it."

Bunnyt61 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2016

For Pulmonary Embolism "I've been on Xeralto now for a month now and I'm sure it's working quickly, as I noticed within 24 hours of my incident ( small PE in left lung.) I couldn't believe the sharp pains subsided and breathing improved in that short amount of time. Since I've been taking this for a month now and actually lowered dose from 30mgs. to 20mgs. daily, I feel worse and worse. I feel like I have the hangover of the century, all the time, no alcohol, cannot tolerate it on this drug. Burning eyes, constant headache, extreme headach and fatigue, exhausted, in bed by 6:00 PM usually. I have two teenagers and a job, finding it hard to carry on with my life. I'm so depressed. It's bad enough to have this happen but this Xeralto is making me miserable!"

Charro68 May 7, 2016

For Deep Vein Thrombosis, Recurrent Event "I Bumped my leg after being on it for two days and had major bruising mind you I don't bruise easy and I'm dark. Plus it hurts really bad. Otherwise going well."

Junay (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2016

For Deep Vein Thrombosis "I was diagnosed with a big DVT in right leg in Oct. 2015. Was put on Xeralto for 6 months. Two months ago had another ultra sound and no clots. I am 66 years old. The doctor just took me off Xeralto 4 days ago and now I'm worried about having a stroke, more clots etc (thanks to all the scary commercials on TV) so now I'm stressed about being 'off' Xeralto. I didn't have any side effects that I am aware of while on Xeralto luckily. Doctor told me stay active (I sit 8 hours a day at work connected to a computer and phone) so I am sure this is why I got the clots to start with. I move my legs around under my desk and stand up for a few minutes every hour or two when I can. Will see what happens from here."

thegizkitty (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation "I have had afib for about 12 years and have had two ablations. Afib is back again but not all the time. Had to be electroconverted in late Feb and was put on Eliquus. My blood pressure went sky high and I started to develop diahrrea. As it got worse, they agreed to switch me to Xarelto. After about a week, my diahrrea was out of control and there was blood in the stool. The doctor told me I had to stay on it but I couldn't take the side effects. I haven't taken Xarelto for three days. No more blood in stool. Diahhrea is clearing up. Blood pressure down to 119/66. BAD DRUG!!!!!"

Hoops1106 April 15, 2016

For Pulmonary Embolism "Hair very thin -shedding lots. Had a hysterectomy in June 2014 and had to use a wound vacuum. Once I started on Xarelto, this wound bleeds every day an won't heal. Almost two years. Most of my fingernails and toe nails fell off ( dried out). Not all have grown back. Bruise easilt plus round red marks appear every day."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 13, 2016

For Pulmonary Embolism "I was put on Xarelto after a small P.E. in the lower lobe of my right lung and have not felt right since. I am tired all the time, have no energy, migraines, dizzy, and also increased anxiety. The reason I decided to take Xarelto over the other blood thinners was because of not having to go to the doctor monthly which I believe is the only good thing about this medication. Can't wait to go off of it in a month. I'm so thankful to read the comments and see I am not the only one suffering these side effects."

Frustrated 35 yr old female April 12, 2016

For Deep Vein Thrombosis, Prophylaxis "can't take nsaids for gout and inflamation"

no side effects (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 8, 2016

For Deep Vein Thrombosis "Only took Xarelto for 6 days when I started having urinary bleeding."

Mitch1951 (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2016