User Reviews for Xarelto

Learn more about Xarelto.

Pulmonary Embolism, Recurrent Event 1 reviews 3 medications

Prevention of Thromb...ial Fibrillation 4 reviews 40 medications

2.3
Summary of Xarelto reviews 81 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Xarelto

For Atrial Fibrillation "After starting Xarelto, I saw no change after a few days so I headed out to my sales territory. I decided to spend the night in Chattanooga. I urinated before midnight and thought I saw a slight pink tint to my urine. I got up to urinate about 2 hrs later and decided to pee in a cup. Defintely reddish. I used another cup about 4 am and when I got up about 5:30-6am. This time my urine looked like ketchup water......I canceled safety talks and headed home to see my doctor. Defintely had blood in my urine. He stopped Xaralto..... Back to Coumadin and monitoring."

deermeat48 August 21, 2016

For Pulmonary Embolism "i have had 2 incidences with DVT and PE in 2012 first one both, leg and lung, leg swelled was being told everything but DVT, went to hospital they found it. all the hospital things interventional radiology went in and shot PE with clot busters, icu 4 days heparin drip then lovenox shots came home on coumadin for 9 months, 3 years later massive PE only symptom with this was SOB, seen all the Dr's heart, hematologist, vascular, pulmonary, can't find the WHY this happened, taking Xarelto now for 10 months will be on it for life, i do not have any side effects that i am aware of, or that bother me,taking it religiously every night , only scary thing is no antidote as of now, and afraid it will come back, cat scans showed it has improved"

joanib August 5, 2016

For Deep Vein Thrombosis, Prophylaxis "I've only been on it 6 weeks. If you're going to let a Doctor prescribe this for you, make sure your doctor is going to be there through all of the side effects that come with it. I had to replace my first vascular surgeon already because he didn't care at all that my periods were now 16 days long. This drug may cause me to have another surgery to have an IUD put in to stop my periods completely. The claims on their website that this drug does not interact with food is untrue. There are complications just like being on the older medications. Find a doctor who knows everything about this drug before agreeing to be on it!"

MattJen July 13, 2016

For Deep Vein Thrombosis "I am a 37 whose body hates me. May 20th I had a hernia repair repair (1st surgery went bad). 3 weeks later I got an infection in my incision. Dr did a CT scan. That's when he saw the clot in my ovarian vein. 8 cm long. He admitted me to the hospital immediately. Was on heparin drip and strong antibiotics. After 2 days blood was flowing a tad bit better. Was put on Xarelto. So far it seems ok. Minor side effects. Sore back, very mild dizzy spells, sore stomach (maybe from surgery and infection) and some weird tingling in my mouth. Nothing major after being on it almost a month. I do have to be on it for 6 months total. Hope nothing else happens. I can handle the side effects I do have. Just hope it makes the clot go away."

Bad Luck (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2016

For Deep Vein Thrombosis "I've been taking Xarelto for 5 months for a blood clot brain . I've felt a range of side effects including : dizziness/vertigo, headaches, photosensitivity, lesions on my nose, ear and tongue, sinusitis, nausea, diarrhea, HEAVY menstrual bleeding, and general aches/fatigue. Basically, any kind of infection I get is much worse than it would be normally. I haven't had any major bleeding events, but my periods have been debilitatingly heavy. As far as effectiveness, it has worked for me and I have not developed any further clotting, which is the most important thing. Not sure if other blood thinners are as effective and have less severe side effects, but if they are, it probably would've been worth the extra trips to the doc for me."

Nickname1234 July 1, 2016

For Deep Vein Thrombosis, Prophylaxis "I had been taking warfarin for many years for Antiphospholipid syndrome and been pestering my Dr. if I could switch to Xarelto instead, as I'd had enough of the constant INR tests. Finally, my haematologist agreed. (The drug is not normally prescribed for my condition.) I was given 20mg to be taken once daily with breakfast. The first two weeks passed with no problems, but on the third week, I had a really bad dizzy spell and almost fainted. Fortunately, I managed to sit down before I did faint. I spoke to my haematologist and she suggested that I take it just before going to bed instead of the morning. So far it's worked. With my condition, migraines are a symptom and they have got slightly worse since taking Xarelto. But I still much prefer it to warfarin & INR tests!"

fizzypop (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2016

"My 23 year old son was diagnosed with a portal vein thrombosis. There was no reason, and after extensive testing still unable to determine why this happened to him. He was placed on Xarelto, and 3 months later, the thrombosis has completely cleared. He had very minimal side effects (some oral bleeding, fatigue, occasional headache) and I was thrilled he didn't have to deal with Coumadin. He is anxious to be done with the medication, but overall it has been pretty easy to deal with."

Anonymous June 3, 2016

For Pulmonary Embolism "Was rushed to the hospital with pulmonary embolisms in both lungs - one pressing on the right ventricle of the heart - platelets so low after heparin drip they didn't think I would survive. After a two hour trip in ambulance for an 11 day stay in major hospital, I was put on Xarelto twice a day for a week, then 20 mg daily. That was the beginning of Feb. - 4 months ago - I have been on Xarelto daily since then with no side effects at all. I was told I would have to be on it for life. I don't have any diet restrictions, but I do stay away from grapefruit - that is my own choice. I actually don't even realize I'm on this med when I don't think about it."

Bunnyt61 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2016

For Pulmonary Embolism "I've been on Xeralto now for a month now and I'm sure it's working quickly, as I noticed within 24 hours of my incident ( small PE in left lung.) I couldn't believe the sharp pains subsided and breathing improved in that short amount of time. Since I've been taking this for a month now and actually lowered dose from 30mgs. to 20mgs. daily, I feel worse and worse. I feel like I have the hangover of the century, all the time, no alcohol, cannot tolerate it on this drug. Burning eyes, constant headache, extreme headach and fatigue, exhausted, in bed by 6:00 PM usually. I have two teenagers and a job, finding it hard to carry on with my life. I'm so depressed. It's bad enough to have this happen but this Xeralto is making me miserable!"

Charro68 May 7, 2016

For Deep Vein Thrombosis, Recurrent Event "I Bumped my leg after being on it for two days and had major bruising mind you I don't bruise easy and I'm dark. Plus it hurts really bad. Otherwise going well."

Junay (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2016

For Deep Vein Thrombosis "I was diagnosed with a big DVT in right leg in Oct. 2015. Was put on Xeralto for 6 months. Two months ago had another ultra sound and no clots. I am 66 years old. The doctor just took me off Xeralto 4 days ago and now I'm worried about having a stroke, more clots etc (thanks to all the scary commercials on TV) so now I'm stressed about being 'off' Xeralto. I didn't have any side effects that I am aware of while on Xeralto luckily. Doctor told me stay active (I sit 8 hours a day at work connected to a computer and phone) so I am sure this is why I got the clots to start with. I move my legs around under my desk and stand up for a few minutes every hour or two when I can. Will see what happens from here."

thegizkitty (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation "I have had afib for about 12 years and have had two ablations. Afib is back again but not all the time. Had to be electroconverted in late Feb and was put on Eliquus. My blood pressure went sky high and I started to develop diahrrea. As it got worse, they agreed to switch me to Xarelto. After about a week, my diahrrea was out of control and there was blood in the stool. The doctor told me I had to stay on it but I couldn't take the side effects. I haven't taken Xarelto for three days. No more blood in stool. Diahhrea is clearing up. Blood pressure down to 119/66. BAD DRUG!!!!!"

Hoops1106 April 15, 2016

For Pulmonary Embolism "Hair very thin -shedding lots. Had a hysterectomy in June 2014 and had to use a wound vacuum. Once I started on Xarelto, this wound bleeds every day an won't heal. Almost two years. Most of my fingernails and toe nails fell off ( dried out). Not all have grown back. Bruise easilt plus round red marks appear every day."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 13, 2016

For Pulmonary Embolism "I was put on Xarelto after a small P.E. in the lower lobe of my right lung and have not felt right since. I am tired all the time, have no energy, migraines, dizzy, and also increased anxiety. The reason I decided to take Xarelto over the other blood thinners was because of not having to go to the doctor monthly which I believe is the only good thing about this medication. Can't wait to go off of it in a month. I'm so thankful to read the comments and see I am not the only one suffering these side effects."

Frustrated 35 yr old female April 12, 2016

For Deep Vein Thrombosis, Prophylaxis "can't take nsaids for gout and inflamation"

no side effects (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 8, 2016

For Deep Vein Thrombosis "Only took Xarelto for 6 days when I started having urinary bleeding."

Mitch1951 (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2016

For Pulmonary Embolism "I developed a pulmonary embolism following a partial hysterectomy. I was given Xarelto for six months. It worked well for me. As a 35-year-old mom with young children, I appreciated the convenience, since it doesn't require injections or weekly blood tests. It can be rough on your stomach if you have previous stomach issues. (I have GERD.) But taking an acid blocker like Zantac helps relieve symptoms. Talk to your doctor if you have any stomach concerns. This was an excellent drug for me."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 2, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation "After being on Coumadin for 1 year I thought I was going to go crazy with all the annoying phone calls from the office about blood testing. The doctor kept telling me the tests are necessary to prevent me from bleeding out or having another stroke. I said isn't there something different and he referred me to talk to my PCP who recommended Xarolto and it has changed my life for the better. I never felt so good and I never have to worry about blood test or diet. Needless to say that doctor is no longer my doctor"

Yardley (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 2, 2016

For Pulmonary Embolism "I have had joint pain, tiredness,insomnia, and fluid retention. I can't wait to get off of this medicine. It's like taking poison."

Mamapug (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 24, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation "I'm diabetic and it's uncontrollable since taking Xarelto. I'm sure Afib symptoms are gone now so I can't imagine a downside. I'm seeing my neurologist this week to remove me from the medication. I live in Thailand where Xarelto is cheap without insurance."

Donx February 21, 2016

For Pulmonary Embolism "I developed multiple blood clots in my lungs after a trip to Canada and America. It wasn't until I returned home that I found out I had them and was put on the 15mg twice a day for 3 weeks before switching to 20mg once a day. I have just stopped taking Xarelto after 6 and a half months and found no problem with it! Aside from bruising easily, it sure beat the alternative (injections), so I am very grateful for all it has done. I am 20 years old and am happy to say I only have a bit of scar tissue left over."

BreCheToo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 21, 2016

For Pulmonary Embolism "Don't like this drug - been on it for 3 months having bad rash affecting my breathing , my joints be glad when I come off it"

Pokolbin February 20, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation "I have terrible headaches after 2 weeks. Some are so bad I vomit and have vertigo. Other days I will have head pain for 12 hours or more. At least 3 headaches a week now."

A M T February 7, 2016

For Deep Vein Thrombosis "I have my second dvt and have been on rivaroxopan for almost five weeks. I'm grateful my leg is less painful and I believe it's working however I have experienced bleeding of the gums unprovoked and also had my first ever nose bleed in the night, never had one in 48 years!! I'm on 20 mg once a day so I think it's making my blood too thin!"

Sue plo (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2016

For Pulmonary Embolism "I had my first PE in both lungs after having myomectomy surgery. Did not know I had a clotting condition. Was experiencing shortness of breath and low energy which I thought was iron deficiency so I went to the ER. CT scan proved PE. After being on a heparin drip 24hrs, the Hematologist prescribed Xarelto and I was released the next morning. Side effects so far after 4 days are: tingling in calves and knees, heavy menstrual bleeding. My period ended 2 days prior and this drug brought it back extra heavy. Bummer!"

Maryland31 (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2015