User Reviews for Propafenone

Also known as: Rythmol, Rythmol SR

Learn more about Propafenone.

Atrial Fibrillation 36 reviews 40 medications

8.1
Ventricular Tachycardia 4 reviews 33 medications

7.5
Summary of Propafenone reviews 40 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Propafenone

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Occasional episodes (one every few years) starting in my mid-30's, up to my mid-50's. In 2004 cardioversion failed to keep me out of AFIB. Hospitalized for 3 days, then converted shortly after being given a large dose of Rythmol. Needed max dose of 425 SR (Sustained Release) twice daily, which kept me in sinus 99% of the time. When the price of the SR skyrocketed a couple of years ago (WUWT?!), I switched to propafenone 150mg every 4 hours. Paying a small fraction of what I used to. I can go months with no episodes, but then have periods lasting weeks with frequent episodes, even daily with no change in diet or activity. Episodes last anywhere from a few minutes up to around 12 hours, rarely longer. Also on daily aspirin and metoprolol."

ArcherJeff August 14, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I'm 30 years old male. When I was 21 I started getting super ventricular tachycardia, and a tonne of etopic beats, I was put on flecanide whitch was very bad. The side effects were terrible. Came off them and started getting atrial fibrillation. So was then put on 150mg twice a day propafenone hydrochloride. Which had no side effects made my heart so much better. Not a cure cause everyday I got etopics or when I got really stressed it would fall into afib, but as I've got Older my hearts got better. I haven't taken one tablet in 3 weeks, for me that's a miracle! Even 3 weeks ago I wasn't taken it properly, on a certain day when my heart was jumping I'd take one and then it stopped! Not had any missed beats or trouble for 3 weeks now!"

Nath1915 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 16, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I am a 57 year old female, had a massive ischemic stroke 11/2014 due to Atrial Fibrillation follow by a second stroke 3/2105. Had a Watchman Device implanted to prevent further strokes. My blood pressure is low to start and I have persistent atrial fibrillation and have not had normal sinus rhythm for over a year. I am on Rythmol for the second time, 325 twice a daily. It made me very dizzy, balance issues, tired in the afternoon but cant sleep at night. The atrial fibrillation has not gone away but I only skip a beat out of every ten or so, which is an improvement and the pauses seem to be shorter. The plan is cardiac conversion, if there is not a significant improvement then ablation. Runner 40+ years vegetarian, never smoked. Sucks :("

Xena630 May 13, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I was diagnosed with AFIB about 8 months ago and put on Rythmol. Im a 51 yr old f. It has been such a blessing to my life to live normally again. I get a extra beat every now and again when my afib is trying to set my heart off. But i will take that any day .They found some blockages in my heart and put in 5 stents. I am grateful for this drug even if my water will never taste the same ..."

Bevyd November 4, 2015

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I'm 56 yr old male, active and I was dignosed with afib about 20 months ago. When it first started I thought it was anxiety and didn't go to doctor until I had an episode that lasted 9 hours. After 2 months of tests doctor put me on 150 mg twice a day. After 7/8 months it was 3 times a day because episodes were almost everyday and getting worse. After 12 months it was 225 twice an 150 one time a day and I was still having episodes everyday. Told him that and was told to learn to live with it. New doctor put me on 325ER 2 times per day an after 1 week called and said worst week I have had in a year. I'm now on 425 twice a day for last 8 weeks. I have episodes every day still, some days worse than others. Have more tests scheduled for next week"

TaSab September 4, 2015

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I'm a female age 58 diagnosed with AFIB last year.I was placed on Propafenone HCL 150 MG 3 times daily for 12 months along with Losartan 100mg 1 time daily. I'm 5'7" 165 lbs good health except for the AFIB... About 3 months ago I became very aware of more frequent/recurrent AFIB, Change in speech, noticeable hair loss, occasional tiredness/insomnia/hand tremors and weight gain. After thorough research however, I realized these symptoms are all side effects of Propafenone!!! It is frightening to realize that this medication can actually be worse than the diagnosis of AFIB and the chemicals in these pills, very toxic to our bodies!! I was given a 24* Halter Monitor showing Scant Mitral Valve Disorder. I ONLY take 2 IF I feel an AFIB episode"

Breathing Easier (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 22, 2015

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Have been on it for a year and a half for chronic a-fib. I have had an ablasion but it did not work and am taking propafenone again until my next ablasion. YES I am very tired in the afternoon. and bet headaches at times. I am controlled most of the time on this drug but still have breakthrough a-fib at times. I take 300mg twice a day."

Mrs.Magee June 11, 2015

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I have been taking this medication for a number of years but only when I was actually experiencing Afib. At 68 the Afib episodes became much more frequent and of longer duration. My cardiologist advised me to double my dose to 225mg twice daily and put me on a blood thinner but Propafenone is not working. Episodes are even longer and more distressing. I go back to the cardiologist tomorrow,"

Geoffreyh June 9, 2015

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I have three stents and a pacemaker. Heart guys say that I experienced a heart attack! My feeling is that I have had much worse hang-overs! There is a definite arrhythmia displayed on my printouts. I absolutely refuse to take rat poison as a medication as I believe that it contributed greatly to my parents death. I have been using Propafenone 225mg for almost three years at the rate of 1 pill in the AM and one in the evening. My heart rate and rhythm are next to perfect as displayed by the pacemaker printout. I do not experience afternoon sleepiness unless I have eaten earlier! I am 74 years old and retired military. Carry-on!"

Rainproof (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 5, 2015

For Ventricular Tachycardia: "At 54 years old, I was diagnosed with Supraventricular Tachycardia, then had a catheter electrophysiology study done which resulted in a specific diagnosis of Multi Focal Atria Tachycardia. An ablation procedure followed about the same time after the study. Several irregular rhythms were knocked out, leaving a few others untreated due to their location inside the heart. I was prescribed Propafenone 150 mg three times daily and Atenolol. A Pacemaker was implanted to control my bradycardia which then made it possible for me to take Propafenone. One cannot take Propafenone if they have bradycardia, unless they have a Pacemaker implanted. I am relieved and very satisfied with the outcome of the procedures and the effectiveness of Propafenone."

Satisfied consumer (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 15, 2015

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Had an irregular heartbeat a month ago. Not a rapid heartbeat but several normal beats follwed every 30 seconds or so with several faster heartbeats. This would repeat again. Dr. diagnosed me with A-fib. Placed me on Propafenone 150 Mg 3x a day. Have not had another episode but the medicine makes me very sleepy in the afternoon. Hopefully my body will adapt and this will go away. Has anyone else had the same side effect? Would appreciate a reply."

Buddy Mac (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2015

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Started having a few a-fib attacks a couple of years ago. I'm 77 and still very active. My cardiologist put me on Multaq 2 x/day and this seemed to work until a few months ago when I had several more attacks. Now am on propafenone 2 x/day and have had only one episode recently. My triggers are dehydration, stress (my husband has dementia) and caffeine. When I feel an attack coming on, I take four 5mg Valium tablets, 500 mg of magnesium and 2 adult aspirin. My Dr. has approved of this regime as I then go to sleep and when I wake up 4-5 hours later, I feel like a million bucks. So far so good. I do have a metallic taste in my mouth but I suck on Tic-Tacs and that helps. Oh, and deep breathing and relaxing tense muscles also helps. "

renolady December 20, 2014

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I have been on this for almost 6 years due to atrial fibrillation and am a 49 year old male. I honestly can't tell if I have had any episodes of atrial fibrillation since being placed on this medicine but do remember feelings of anxiety in bed a handful of times. I take two doses per day and am also on Metoprolol that I take in the morning. One thing that struck me when I was first placed on this med back then was the doctor saying that one day it won't work anymore. So far to good but I am also concerned about the long term use but I guess it's the best option right now."

Charlestex (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 29, 2014

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I'm a 29 yo male who has had Supra Ventricular Tachycardia since I was 22. I've been on metoprolol ever since I was diagnosed. Over the past year I started having episodes of Atrial fibrillation, right when I started medical school. I was hesitant about an ablation, so my doc tried 150mg Propafenone every 8hr and it's been helping! I still take the metoprolol, but at a lower dose (to prevent 1:1 conduction), and it works great. I still get anxiety occasionally at night when I lay down and feel my heartbeat, but that's only because I was used to it happening every night. I'll probably still get the ablation, but I'm in no rush!"

medstudentafib (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 16, 2014

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Been on propafenone SR for 1 year. Prior, I had 3 Atrial fibrillation episodes, 2 needing cardioversion. One chemically converted 10 minutes prior while they were hooking me up. After that, they prescribed 225 SR 2x a day. No atrial fibrillation since. Also, I would get as many as 5 or 10 PVC's a minute, sometimes every 2nd or 3rd beat. With this medicine this is down to 10-20 per day, mostly not even noticeable. Although the atrial fibrillation is the main reason for the medicine, I actually find the lack of PVC's to be the most beneficial - reducing anxiety. Before the medicine, I was totally preoccupied with my heart rhythm. After the medicine, I feel 10 years younger."

Anonymous February 6, 2014

Rythmol (propafenone) for Atrial Fibrillation: "Have had atrial fibrillation for 25 years. Tried a number a medicines and was on amiodarone for a few years but had to stop. Decided to give Rythmol a try, and have used it for more than 15 years. Have not had a noticeable attack of atrial fibrillation for many years, although I did land in emergency for another arrhythmia last year. This has been a life saver for me. Supply is getting to be an issue though."

Grw57 (taken for 10 years or more) November 28, 2013

For Ventricular Tachycardia: "I take so many meds - rhythmol, coreg, levothyroxine, aspirin, statins - all of which have some of the listed propafenone side effects that I simply cannot know which is causing the effects or whether I have some other problems not shown in tests.. I have paroxysmal ventricular tachycardia, CAD one stent placed May 2010 RCA, hypothyroid and god knows what else. I'm 85 and can still do 30 mins aerobics daily and the same day feel sick as a dog, There must be tjousamds who cannot pìnpoint their side effects.. Come forward and comment please."

oldie28 November 12, 2013

Rythmol SR (propafenone) for Atrial Fibrillation: "I've been on Rythmol 225 SR twice a day for over 8 years. My instances of Atrial Fibrillation are once or twice in a 6-month period. I am happy with the way it works!"

SXD (taken for 10 years or more) June 2, 2013

Rythmol SR (propafenone) for Ventricular Tachycardia: "This medication has allowed me to avoid the ER/hospitalization for several years. Prior to taking it I was in the ER 2 to 3 times a year for uncontrolled tachycardia episodes."

PaulaBookGirl (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 28, 2013

Rythmol SR (propafenone) for Atrial Fibrillation: "Had a miserable life for 15 yrs of waiting for my heart to go out of rhythm and in to the emergency room. Rythmal has changed my life, I experience a flutter here and there but no total outs, my anxiety has decreased as well."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 26, 2012

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I am a 67 year old female who was diagnosed with A-Fib and put on Rythmol in 1996. (Yes, I've been on it for 16 years). The doctor was about to do an ablation but decided to try Rythmol first. It put me back in rhythm and I did not have to have the ablation. I have since learned my triggers and try to avoid them. I've had 2 episodes worth mentioning in all this time. Once I became very overheated and once I had a shot of cortisone in both knees. I take 225 mg of propafenone every 8 hours (6, 2, and 10). It is a nuisance sometimes, but well worth the payoff. I sometimes even forget that I am a "heart patient"."

gjb20 April 21, 2012

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I was on Toprol XL for many years and one day it just stopped working. I had a procedure and things got worse. I started on Propafenone my heart is doing much better but I have a bad taste in my mouth that is better than heart problems. I also seem to have difficulty breathing. It is like I am to tired to breathe but I am hoping that feeling goes away because it is wonderful to have my heart beating regular."

Anonymous January 19, 2012

Rythmol (propafenone) for Atrial Fibrillation: "I've been on Rythmol for Atrial Fibrillation for about 6 months. Initially, it wasn't working too well. I'd be in rhythm for a few days and go out for a day or more. After a few months of this I asked my Cardiologist if he could suggest another anti-arrhythmia drug but he suggested we give Rythmol more time. He increased my dosage gradually until I was taking the maximum dose, two 150mg tablets 3 times a day. I have been in rhythm for over two months now and I never had any side effects so I am very satisfied at this point."

Paul H August 13, 2011

Rythmol SR (propafenone) for Atrial Fibrillation: "I'm a 58 year old male. I have taken Rhythmol for a year. I started having many different heart rhythms after having an implant for ASD. Every night I would sleep sitting up, could not work effectively, and was worried if this would eventually kill me. In a year I have had not one skip or erratic heart beat. This medicine is amazing and I feel wonderful. It does give you a metallic taste but it's a small price to pay."

itherni June 18, 2011

Rythmol (propafenone) for Atrial Fibrillation: "Rythmol caused my blood pressure and pulse to drop dangerously low. I was admitted in hospital for two days. "

Anonymous April 29, 2011