User Reviews for Propafenone to treat Atrial Fibrillation

Also known as: Rythmol SR

Propafenone Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 32 medications used in the treatment of Atrial Fibrillation.

Reviews for Propafenone

bike mike · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 25, 2020

“I have been a semi-competitive road cyclist for a long time. I noticed that after a very hard climb my heart would not beat evenly. This was 20 years ago (now late 50's). No doctor diagnosed what was happening and it was quite rare. I returned to normal sinus after a short time. By age 50 I started having a fib more often. I could feel it and went to the hospital now and then. It took a while, but I finally figured out that my a fib was a direct reaction to coffee, gluten, wine, and other foods. I stopped eating pretty much my favorites and it went away. However, I was unhappy eating a very limited diet. I now take 150mg dose of propafenone twice a day and I can eat gluten, chocolate, bread, (no coffee). In the 2 years that I have been on it, the only time I went into a fib was when I forgot to take a dose and ate chocolate. This drug has been so helpful. I can work out without limitations, and I just have to not overdo the wrong foods...be sensible.”

LizBeth · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2019

“I have been on propafenone for a little over a week for sudden onset of a-fib with high BP. I am a person who does not like to take any drugs and was only on Lotensin before that but I don't want a stroke either! I have not had a repeated episode of a-fib so far but am having side effects I am not happy about. Namely fluid retention (I have had to take prn hctz twice already which I rarely take, my ankles have some swelling, I have extreme constipation and metallic taste. I will be calling the cardiologist before my next appointment!”

Mended heart · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 1, 2019

“This medicine has given me my life back. I have a long history with A-Fib and have had cardio versions and two ablations. Two years ago, I began on propafenone. I do not have any side effects.”

Lily · Taken for less than 1 month July 15, 2019

“Medication works great for AFib. Calms my heart beat down throughout the day. But after 3 months on this med its causing me shortness of breath while I sleep with my oxygen on and also shortness of breath at times walking around. I do have a metallic taste in my mouth. I am very tired and weak at times. I did not have this prior to the new med other than a busy working heart.”

Frank · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 25, 2018

“I am a 58 year old male who began to experience Afib about 12 years ago. It was on and off at first, but ended up kicking in full time. I had an ablation in 2007 that initially stopped the Afib, but over time I began to experience bouts every month or so that usually lasted a day or two. My doctor put me on Propafenone (325 mg twice a day) about 5 years ago and the results have been excellent. In the 5 years I have probably had less than 5 episodes of Afib that last less than a few hours. These episodes are almost predicable as they occur when I am extremely tired and have had a few drinks to go along with it. I have never had any side effects from taking this medication.”

CJ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 17, 2018

“46 yr- old male; developed occasional AF in early 40s. By last year it was bad enough that I couldn't ignore it. Flecanide plus metoprolol was terrible (pounding beats and felt sick all the time), but propafenone has been great. I'm on max dose (425 twice a day). I've had 4 episodes in last 6 months, compared to daily episodes before. BUT, I am interested in people's experiences of side effects. I have some of the usual ones (fatigue, metallic taste in mouth, dizziness). But the one that really bugs me is shortness of breath. Hard to concentrate when that happens. Side effects seem to come and go, and I can't figure out any cause: have tried cutting out caffeine, alcohol, compression socks (wondering if it was low BP). All seemed to work for while, though that might have just been my imagination, then stopped working. Anyone have any thoughts?”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 20, 2018

“I have taken this for several years (twice a day, one morning and one night). It seems to control my atrial fibrillation or occasional irregular heart beat”

heathcr · Taken for 10 years or more March 6, 2018

“Have vagal afib and have been taking this drug for 11 years; no side effects but occasional breakthrough episodes.”

RDN50 December 18, 2017

“67 years old- Been taking generic Rythmol 150 mg twice a day for 19 years. Experienced occasional AFib and multiple ectopic beats beginning in my late 20’s due to Apical Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. Have not experienced an episode of AFib while taking this medication and no side effects.”

Nikimary February 25, 2017

“I had AFib first time I got cardioconversion It came back month later ended up in ER According to my numerous halter monitors I was having AFib frequent I was unaware Tried numerous meds most bottomed out my bp Propafenone works I'm also on Eliquis but Been noticing hair loss I'm tired often I do have occasional PAC I'm a midnight nurse Bad habits coffee, no sleep, stress Weight gain did not help I'm trying to lessen my stress Lol”

David D. January 27, 2017

“I take one capsule (325 mg) every 12 hours. Have not had an episode of AF since July 2015.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 8, 2016

“59 yr old m with afib since I was in my 30s. I had it under control until about 4 years ago, when I started having regular episodes of arrrhythmia and frequently ended up in ER being cardioverted 7 times in 6 months. My cardiologist tried several medications that did nothing for me. I heard about rythmol from a relative, and after getting on this medication I have not had an episode of arrhythmia for more than a few seconds in over 3 years. Worked well for me.”

ArcherJeff August 14, 2016

“Occasional episodes (one every few years) starting in my mid-30's, up to my mid-50's. In 2004 cardioversion failed to keep me out of AFIB. Hospitalized for 3 days, then converted shortly after being given a large dose of Rythmol. Needed max dose of 425 SR (Sustained Release) twice daily, which kept me in sinus 99% of the time. When the price of the SR skyrocketed a couple of years ago (WUWT?!), I switched to propafenone 150mg every 4 hours. Paying a small fraction of what I used to. I can go months with no episodes, but then have periods lasting weeks with frequent episodes, even daily with no change in diet or activity. Episodes last anywhere from a few minutes up to around 12 hours, rarely longer. Also on daily aspirin and metoprolol.”

Nath1915 · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 16, 2016

“I'm 30 years old male. When I was 21 I started getting super ventricular tachycardia, and a tonne of etopic beats, I was put on flecanide whitch was very bad. The side effects were terrible. Came off them and started getting atrial fibrillation. So was then put on 150mg twice a day propafenone hydrochloride. Which had no side effects made my heart so much better. Not a cure cause everyday I got etopics or when I got really stressed it would fall into afib, but as I've got Older my hearts got better. I haven't taken one tablet in 3 weeks, for me that's a miracle! Even 3 weeks ago I wasn't taken it properly, on a certain day when my heart was jumping I'd take one and then it stopped! Not had any missed beats or trouble for 3 weeks now!”

Xena630 May 13, 2016

“I am a 57 year old female, had a massive ischemic stroke 11/2014 due to Atrial Fibrillation follow by a second stroke 3/2105. Had a Watchman Device implanted to prevent further strokes. My blood pressure is low to start and I have persistent atrial fibrillation and have not had normal sinus rhythm for over a year. I am on Rythmol for the second time, 325 twice a daily. It made me very dizzy, balance issues, tired in the afternoon but cant sleep at night. The atrial fibrillation has not gone away but I only skip a beat out of every ten or so, which is an improvement and the pauses seem to be shorter. The plan is cardiac conversion, if there is not a significant improvement then ablation. Runner 40+ years vegetarian, never smoked. Sucks :(”

Bevyd November 4, 2015

“I was diagnosed with AFIB about 8 months ago and put on Rythmol. Im a 51 yr old f. It has been such a blessing to my life to live normally again. I get a extra beat every now and again when my afib is trying to set my heart off. But i will take that any day .They found some blockages in my heart and put in 5 stents. I am grateful for this drug even if my water will never taste the same ...”

TaSab September 4, 2015

“I'm 56 yr old male, active and I was dignosed with afib about 20 months ago. When it first started I thought it was anxiety and didn't go to doctor until I had an episode that lasted 9 hours. After 2 months of tests doctor put me on 150 mg twice a day. After 7/8 months it was 3 times a day because episodes were almost everyday and getting worse. After 12 months it was 225 twice an 150 one time a day and I was still having episodes everyday. Told him that and was told to learn to live with it. New doctor put me on 325ER 2 times per day an after 1 week called and said worst week I have had in a year. I'm now on 425 twice a day for last 8 weeks. I have episodes every day still, some days worse than others. Have more tests scheduled for next week”

Breathing Easier · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 22, 2015

“I'm a female age 58 diagnosed with AFIB last year.I was placed on Propafenone HCL 150 MG 3 times daily for 12 months along with Losartan 100mg 1 time daily. I'm 5'7" 165 lbs good health except for the AFIB... About 3 months ago I became very aware of more frequent/recurrent AFIB, Change in speech, noticeable hair loss, occasional tiredness/insomnia/hand tremors and weight gain. After thorough research however, I realized these symptoms are all side effects of Propafenone!!! It is frightening to realize that this medication can actually be worse than the diagnosis of AFIB and the chemicals in these pills, very toxic to our bodies!! I was given a 24* Halter Monitor showing Scant Mitral Valve Disorder. I ONLY take 2 IF I feel an AFIB episode”

Mrs.Magee June 11, 2015

“Have been on it for a year and a half for chronic a-fib. I have had an ablasion but it did not work and am taking propafenone again until my next ablasion. YES I am very tired in the afternoon. and bet headaches at times. I am controlled most of the time on this drug but still have breakthrough a-fib at times. I take 300mg twice a day.”

Geoffreyh June 9, 2015

“I have been taking this medication for a number of years but only when I was actually experiencing Afib. At 68 the Afib episodes became much more frequent and of longer duration. My cardiologist advised me to double my dose to 225mg twice daily and put me on a blood thinner but Propafenone is not working. Episodes are even longer and more distressing. I go back to the cardiologist tomorrow,”

Rainproof · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 5, 2015

“I have three stents and a pacemaker. Heart guys say that I experienced a heart attack! My feeling is that I have had much worse hang-overs! There is a definite arrhythmia displayed on my printouts. I absolutely refuse to take rat poison as a medication as I believe that it contributed greatly to my parents death. I have been using Propafenone 225mg for almost three years at the rate of 1 pill in the AM and one in the evening. My heart rate and rhythm are next to perfect as displayed by the pacemaker printout. I do not experience afternoon sleepiness unless I have eaten earlier! I am 74 years old and retired military. Carry-on!”

Buddy Mac · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2015

“Had an irregular heartbeat a month ago. Not a rapid heartbeat but several normal beats follwed every 30 seconds or so with several faster heartbeats. This would repeat again. Dr. diagnosed me with A-fib. Placed me on Propafenone 150 Mg 3x a day. Have not had another episode but the medicine makes me very sleepy in the afternoon. Hopefully my body will adapt and this will go away. Has anyone else had the same side effect? Would appreciate a reply.”

renolady December 20, 2014

“Started having a few a-fib attacks a couple of years ago. I'm 77 and still very active. My cardiologist put me on Multaq 2 x/day and this seemed to work until a few months ago when I had several more attacks. Now am on propafenone 2 x/day and have had only one episode recently. My triggers are dehydration, stress (my husband has dementia) and caffeine. When I feel an attack coming on, I take four 5mg Valium tablets, 500 mg of magnesium and 2 adult aspirin. My Dr. has approved of this regime as I then go to sleep and when I wake up 4-5 hours later, I feel like a million bucks. So far so good. I do have a metallic taste in my mouth but I suck on Tic-Tacs and that helps. Oh, and deep breathing and relaxing tense muscles also helps. ”

Charlestex · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 29, 2014

“I have been on this for almost 6 years due to atrial fibrillation and am a 49 year old male. I honestly can't tell if I have had any episodes of atrial fibrillation since being placed on this medicine but do remember feelings of anxiety in bed a handful of times. I take two doses per day and am also on Metoprolol that I take in the morning. One thing that struck me when I was first placed on this med back then was the doctor saying that one day it won't work anymore. So far to good but I am also concerned about the long term use but I guess it's the best option right now.”

medstudentafib · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 16, 2014

“I'm a 29 yo male who has had Supra Ventricular Tachycardia since I was 22. I've been on metoprolol ever since I was diagnosed. Over the past year I started having episodes of Atrial fibrillation, right when I started medical school. I was hesitant about an ablation, so my doc tried 150mg Propafenone every 8hr and it's been helping! I still take the metoprolol, but at a lower dose (to prevent 1:1 conduction), and it works great. I still get anxiety occasionally at night when I lay down and feel my heartbeat, but that's only because I was used to it happening every night. I'll probably still get the ablation, but I'm in no rush!”

Learn more about Atrial Fibrillation

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)