User Reviews for Sotalol

Also known as: Betapace, Sotalol Hydrochloride AF, Sotylize, Betapace AF, Sorine

Sotalol has an average rating of 6.7 out of 10 from a total of 48 ratings on Drugs.com. 59% of those users who reviewed Sotalol reported a positive effect, while 20% reported a negative effect.

Atrial Fibrillation   7.1
Ventricular Arrhythmia   6.8
Atrial Flutter   2.3
Summary of Sotalol reviews 6.7 48 reviews

Reviews for Sotalol

Vickie · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 15, 2021

Betapace (sotalol) for Ventricular Arrhythmia: “Tried on multiple combination. Cardioversion only lasted 5 days. Multaq ridiculously expensive and ineffective. Spent 3 days in hospital and with sotalol converted within 2 weeks. Sinus for almost years and off drug for 6 months. After walk on hot day afib and after 3 doses back in sinus. Had not had much fluid. Need to be sure to stay hydrated. Sinus 2 months again. Cannot walk more than 10 feet when in afib so great to be back in sinus. On eliquis and wish they would make generic since approved since 2018 and making almost 5 billion a year off patients ($1600 a month)”

Tim · Taken for 10 years or more November 28, 2020

For Atrial Fibrillation: “I've been on 80 mg sotalol twice daily for a-fib for almost 11 years. Episodes are now rare and I pretty much notice them only by the frequent urination. I've previously experienced difficulty when getting a new batch of medication from the online pharmacy. A different brand would always require my body to adjust and I'd feel awful for a few days. For the last two years I've been with Walgreen's and the product has been mostly consistent. My primary complaints are: 1) no stamina; 2) excessive sweating; and 3) loss of sexual function (which is probably also tied to hypertension med). I would love to be off Sotalol but am pretty well reconciled to swallowing pills the rest of my life.”

John · Taken for less than 1 month October 17, 2020

For Ventricular Arrhythmia: “I was on Sotalol (generic) for 2 weeks. In that time I took two bad falls. The drug caused serious peripheral neuropathy in my lower legs. Off the drug, the P.N. disappeared. For me, this drug was a disaster.”

Allen · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 23, 2020

For Atrial Fibrillation: “Sotolol caused tightness in chest slow breathing . Loss of sleep”

Fasteddy · Taken for 10 years or more May 21, 2020

For Ventricular Arrhythmia: “I have been taking sotalol for about 15 years after I had heart by-pass surgery. My problems are PVCs and tachycardia. Sotalol controls these symptoms very well plus eases chest pains which I occasionally get from exertion. The light blue tablets work best for me. The Apotex brand doesn't last long enough. A therapeutic dose of sotalol should last up to 12 hours. The light blue elongated tablets stamped B104 work best for me.”

Gayle · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 28, 2020

For Atrial Fibrillation: “Miracle. After a cardioversion in hospital I kept suffering from fibrillation until I took my first Sotolol! It worked within 30 minutes. I have been on 80 mg twice a day for 6 years. The pharmacy filled the prescription with the blue Sotolol pill last week )made by a different manufacturer) and it did not work! Immediately went back to Sotolol manufactured by Apotex! They have flagged my prescription now to only dispense Apotex brand of Sotolol.”

Rick · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 18, 2019

For Atrial Fibrillation: “It works. No side effects. Love it.”

Andreas · Taken for less than 1 month March 11, 2019

For Atrial Fibrillation: “I am 51 and have had paroxysmal (intermittent Afib) for about three years. I used a calcium channel blocker for a few months. It didn't stop the episodes, just made them more comfortable to endure. I've been on Sotalol for a couple of days. No trace of Afib and the annoying Pace ( premature atrial contractions) that I suffered from. No tiredness either. I'm very happy. However, I keep thinking I should have an ablation to halt the disease progress. But I'm a bit of a sissy. I hope that doesn't bite me in the rear in the future.”

BigGuyonBlocker · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 28, 2018

For Atrial Fibrillation: “I am now 43yrs old I had my 1st episode of AFIB 01/10/10 I was admitted to the hospital for 2 days my heart went back into normal rhythm on its own. On 11/18/11 I had my 2nd episode heart again went back in normal rhythm on its own with the help of Sotalol of course. I was diagnosed with aFIB. I was put on Sotalol 120mg 2X a day. After about 2 months it was dropped down to 80mg 2X a day. I haven’t had a flutter incident since 10/2011, have been in “afib” which has a few different meanings about 7x in 7 yrs none required a trip to the ER or doctor. I have experienced all the side affects but after 7yrs they are all gone. Recently I lost 116 pounds and my heart rate has gone from the 54 rang down to 44. I went to my cardiologist who said the meds don’t work by weight. But every other doctor I have seen said my HR is too low and my SOTALOL dose needs to be adjusted. My doctor refuses to so I have an appointment with a new cardiologist to get a 2nd opinion.”

Nashville user · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 11, 2018

For Ventricular Arrhythmia: “I've been on this medication for 5-6 years. Its true my energy level is not what it used to be when I was younger however at 70 years old I realize I was going to have to live with a new set of circumstances. Things change, life changes. My doctor added Hydrochlorothiazide (water pill) and I no longer have water retention. I adjusted my life style, take my time more, walk a little slower. Gained some weight but switched to a non-GMO non Gluten diet, walk every day and lost the extra weight. No more knee buckling faints, sleepless nights with rapid and uneven heart pounding anxiety or trips to the ER. Have also found the original white pill works better than the blue generic. The blue seems to have less original medication in it. I find I can live with a slower heart rate and lower Blood pressure but also added a protein drink and use a supplement in a bottle of water that contains electrolytes”

Mullie · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2018

For Atrial Fibrillation: “Started Synthroid for hypothyroid, experienced Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) for the first time ever within 24 hours. Already taking Metoprolol (beta blocker) for arrhythmia for three years. Endocrinologist said thyroid levels were good, do whatever Cardiologist recommended. Cardiologist changed Metoprolol to Sotalol. Sotalol made the PVCs AND arrhythmia worse. Sotalol is PROARRHYTHMIC in 20% of patients! Cardiologist wanted to change to more toxic drug with more side effects. I suggested going back on Metoprolol (which had controlled arrhythmia completely for three years) and address hypothyroid medication. Naturopath prescribed medication for T3 replacement in addition to my doctors prescription of Synthroid and Metoprolol. It completely resolved the arrhythmia AND PVC's with 24 hours! Endicrinologist said T3 medication prescribed by Naturopath had nothing to do with the resolution of the issue! I disagree, it was not a coincidence. NO PVC, NO ARRYTHMIA The Naturopath is now involved in ALL decisions regarding medical decisions.”

Anonymous March 5, 2018

For Atrial Flutter: “After taking the pills for a couple days I found that I was unsteady on my feet. I will watch for a couple more days and if it continues I will consult with my doctor.”

sherrianni · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 5, 2018

For Atrial Fibrillation: “Personally, I had the worst experience with this drug. All of the symptoms I experienced. I felt as if I was going to die. Cardiologists wouldn't listen. I was hospitialized. Until an Internist appeared in my hospital room. He changed sotalol and a statin. One drug and Warfarin . It did the trick.”

Sandra38 January 4, 2018

For Atrial Fibrillation: “Was diagnosed with AFIB & SVT while pregnant (age 33) with my second child. Was put on bisoprolol, I did not take because of the side effects on my baby. After delivery my condition got worst. I tried bisoprolol, didn't work, had an ablation worked for about a week, then was back in ER my heart was shocked 3 times in one visit, didn't work, was injected Procadamine to bring heart back to normal. Tried sotalol after that episode, didn't work, had my second ablation, it helped. Was told had TIA during another ER visit, was put on amodionarone for 4 months which I quit as the side effects were horrible. Had 3rd ablation, Pulmonary vein Ablation, helped, was on sotalol 40mg. It helped, visited ER after walking 5K marathon. 4th PVA worked! On Sotalol :)”

Casper_d December 14, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: “I was diagnosed with HCOM (Hypertrophic Cardio Mypothy) about 5 yrs ago. was on metoprolol 100mg twice a day. Then I had 2 AFib episodes about 1 1/2 yrs ago. was in hospital for 2 weeks to monitor the condition. they switched me to sotalol kept increasing the dose till 120mg twice a day. Which is what I need. So been on Sotalol for the last 1 1//2 years. Have side effects all the time such as very low energy, always feel like you just been hit by a bus.. and I'm only 36 yr old male. I have to say that I have lost my self coz of the conditions and side effects of the drug. But medically and physically I'm functioning thanks to this drug. You need a very positive out look and good family support otherwise this drug will make you depressed easily”

John O · Taken for less than 1 month November 1, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: “Had a double coronary artery bypass graft (CABG,) in May 17 due to 3 major arteries blocked around heart. Never had any symptoms before op except shortness of breath on stair climbing. Nice steady heart rate around 56 resting and BP 130/75. I'm a 61 year old Type 1 diabetic. Since my op I have been into A&E 4 times with Tachycardia and AF and for the last 10 weeks have been in AF or Sinus with ectopics. I was prescribed Bisoprolol after my op but I felt it was not working as my heart rate was way to low. Started taking Sotalol today and after 2 tablets I can honestly say I feel much better. More regular heart beat, less thumping and less pain in my legs and feet. Hope it continues but so far a better experience”

Anonymous August 28, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: “Shortness of breath, extreme joint pain, swollen feet and lower legs, blurred vision, tired, no energy. I was not told of side affects. I am not Me anymore. So sad.”

QVCMeme7 June 25, 2017

For Atrial Flutter: “Feel horrible taking this - hard to breathe- blurred vision - no energy - cannot sleep well”

Jkmullins · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 19, 2017

Betapace (sotalol) for Ventricular Arrhythmia: “I've been taking Sotalol for almost 2 years and this pill has drained my energy and I've gained 20 lbs. I quit taking the medicine 3 days ago as the side effects are horrible.”

NH Paradise June 15, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: “Have endured a fib for about 15 years. Several cardio versions failed to eliminate the afib. Was put on Tikosyn about 10 years ago, 500 mg twice daily, which controlled the afib for 9 years or so and then failed to control it. A double ablation (afib and aflutter) was performed and after about six months, the afib came back. Next was a defibrillator/pacemaker implant. Began to have vfib problems. Defibrillator fired twice in a 6 month period. Was then put on amiodarone. There are new indications that long term use of Tikosyn or Amiodarone side effects may be vfib. Was taken off Amiodarone after four months. After 9 months, defibrillator fired again. Was then put on Sotalol. Back in normal rhythm. Too early to judge side effects”

Fyreman · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 29, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: “I was diagnosed with AF about three years ago. Step one was defib which was ineffective. Step 2 was sotalol plus defib, which got me back in rhythm but slowed my pulse into the fourties. I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs! So they added a pacemaker which keeps my pulse at or above 60. All is well now, and the advantage of this pacemaker is that it stores any episode and reports back to the doctor through a transmitter in my home as well as at my semi-annual appointment. I am a very happy camper! 74 year old male.”

steve1311 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 15, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: “Have Afib for 15 years. Started on sotalol 3 months ago. Feel better now but it took 2 months to get used to it. Many new side affects but then they mostly went away. Had 3 ablations , pacemaker and paddles once. 64 years old and mostly in good shape.”

zookeeper70 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 15, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: “I was on Sotolol for one month. While it did slow down my heart rate I was miserable the entire time. I constantly felt my heart was beating differently (this is a difficult sensation to describe). I was tired all the time, slept often during the day and rarely drove or went out even when someone else was driving. I am retired but prior to starting this medication I was active and traveled often. I did not have any afib episodes while on this medication, however, when I stopped taking sotolol I felt great/normal again and didn't have another afib episode for at least 7 months.”

g70 December 8, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: “I have been on this for four months now and while it almost completely controls my a fib with 80 mgs twice a day I am extremely tired to the point that I have gained forty pounds since starting it because in the evening after pushing through my whole work day all I do is sit down and I am asleep immediately. I have tried asking dr for different medicine but he keeps saying it it NOT the medicine making me tired.”

Franktarget · Taken for 10 years or more November 16, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: “Diagnosed Wolff Parkinson White syndrome at 17. Experienced 3 to 5 serious attacks of uncontrollable supraventricular tachycardia per year until 35. At 35 went to ER with ragged variable pulse up to and over 400 bpm for two days. Diagnosed as afib. Underwent some experimental ablation at Cedars the third day and Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome disappeared. Q wave stopped reading inverted. Now I have afib. Several failed ablations and some shock work changed nothing. For the next 30 years just suffered with 6 to 8 severe afib events per year. Finally got medicare and treatment. Simply, Sotalol, 80mg/12hrs has relieved me of knee buckling afib events. I am in afib almost all the time but hardly severe enough to affect my routine.”