User Reviews for Sotalol

Also known as: Betapace, Betapace AF, Sorine, Sotalol Hydrochloride AF, Sotylize

Ventricular Arrhythmia
7.3

Atrial Fibrillation
7.1

Atrial Flutter
2.3

Summary of Sotalol reviews 6.6 40 reviews

Reviews for Sotalol

For Ventricular Arrhythmia: "I've been on this medication for 5-6 years. Its true my energy level is not what it used to be when I was younger however at 70 years old I realize I was going to have to live with a new set of circumstances. Things change, life changes. My doctor added Hydrochlorothiazide (water pill) and I no longer have water retention. I adjusted my life style, take my time more, walk a little slower. Gained some weight but switched to a non-GMO non Gluten diet, walk every day and lost the extra weight. No more knee buckling faints, sleepless nights with rapid and uneven heart pounding anxiety or trips to the ER. Have also found the original white pill works better than the blue generic. The blue seems to have less original medication in it. I find I can live with a slower heart rate and lower Blood pressure but also added a protein drink and use a supplement in a bottle of water that contains electrolytes"

Nashville user (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 11, 2018

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Started Synthroid for hypothyroid, experienced Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) for the first time ever within 24 hours. Already taking Metoprolol (beta blocker) for arrhythmia for three years. Endocrinologist said thyroid levels were good, do whatever Cardiologist recommended. Cardiologist changed Metoprolol to Sotalol. Sotalol made the PVCs AND arrhythmia worse. Sotalol is PROARRHYTHMIC in 20% of patients! Cardiologist wanted to change to more toxic drug with more side effects. I suggested going back on Metoprolol (which had controlled arrhythmia completely for three years) and address hypothyroid medication. Naturopath prescribed medication for T3 replacement in addition to my doctors prescription of Synthroid and Metoprolol. It completely resolved the arrhythmia AND PVC's with 24 hours! Endicrinologist said T3 medication prescribed by Naturopath had nothing to do with the resolution of the issue! I disagree, it was not a coincidence. NO PVC, NO ARRYTHMIA The Naturopath is now involved in ALL decisions regarding medical decisions."

Mullie (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2018

For Atrial Flutter: "After taking the pills for a couple days I found that I was unsteady on my feet. I will watch for a couple more days and if it continues I will consult with my doctor."

Anonymous March 5, 2018

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Personally, I had the worst experience with this drug. All of the symptoms I experienced. I felt as if I was going to die. Cardiologists wouldn't listen. I was hospitialized. Until an Internist appeared in my hospital room. He changed sotalol and a statin. One drug and Warfarin . It did the trick."

sherrianni (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 5, 2018

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Was diagnosed with AFIB & SVT while pregnant (age 33) with my second child. Was put on bisoprolol, I did not take because of the side effects on my baby. After delivery my condition got worst. I tried bisoprolol, didn't work, had an ablation worked for about a week, then was back in ER my heart was shocked 3 times in one visit, didn't work, was injected Procadamine to bring heart back to normal. Tried sotalol after that episode, didn't work, had my second ablation, it helped. Was told had TIA during another ER visit, was put on amodionarone for 4 months which I quit as the side effects were horrible. Had 3rd ablation, Pulmonary vein Ablation, helped, was on sotalol 40mg. It helped, visited ER after walking 5K marathon. 4th PVA worked! On Sotalol :)"

Sandra38 January 4, 2018

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I was diagnosed with HCOM (Hypertrophic Cardio Mypothy) about 5 yrs ago. was on metoprolol 100mg twice a day. Then I had 2 AFib episodes about 1 1/2 yrs ago. was in hospital for 2 weeks to monitor the condition. they switched me to sotalol kept increasing the dose till 120mg twice a day. Which is what I need. So been on Sotalol for the last 1 1//2 years. Have side effects all the time such as very low energy, always feel like you just been hit by a bus.. and I'm only 36 yr old male. I have to say that I have lost my self coz of the conditions and side effects of the drug. But medically and physically I'm functioning thanks to this drug. You need a very positive out look and good family support otherwise this drug will make you depressed easily"

Casper_d December 14, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Had a double coronary artery bypass graft (CABG,) in May 17 due to 3 major arteries blocked around heart. Never had any symptoms before op except shortness of breath on stair climbing. Nice steady heart rate around 56 resting and BP 130/75. I'm a 61 year old Type 1 diabetic. Since my op I have been into A&E 4 times with Tachycardia and AF and for the last 10 weeks have been in AF or Sinus with ectopics. I was prescribed Bisoprolol after my op but I felt it was not working as my heart rate was way to low. Started taking Sotalol today and after 2 tablets I can honestly say I feel much better. More regular heart beat, less thumping and less pain in my legs and feet. Hope it continues but so far a better experience"

John O (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Shortness of breath, extreme joint pain, swollen feet and lower legs, blurred vision, tired, no energy. I was not told of side affects. I am not Me anymore. So sad."

Anonymous August 28, 2017

For Atrial Flutter: "Feel horrible taking this - hard to breathe- blurred vision - no energy - cannot sleep well"

QVCMeme7 June 25, 2017

Betapace (sotalol) for Ventricular Arrhythmia: "I've been taking Sotalol for almost 2 years and this pill has drained my energy and I've gained 20 lbs. I quit taking the medicine 3 days ago as the side effects are horrible."

Jkmullins (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 19, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Have endured a fib for about 15 years. Several cardio versions failed to eliminate the afib. Was put on Tikosyn about 10 years ago, 500 mg twice daily, which controlled the afib for 9 years or so and then failed to control it. A double ablation (afib and aflutter) was performed and after about six months, the afib came back. Next was a defibrillator/pacemaker implant. Began to have vfib problems. Defibrillator fired twice in a 6 month period. Was then put on amiodarone. There are new indications that long term use of Tikosyn or Amiodarone side effects may be vfib. Was taken off Amiodarone after four months. After 9 months, defibrillator fired again. Was then put on Sotalol. Back in normal rhythm. Too early to judge side effects"

NH Paradise June 15, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I was diagnosed with AF about three years ago. Step one was defib which was ineffective. Step 2 was sotalol plus defib, which got me back in rhythm but slowed my pulse into the fourties. I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs! So they added a pacemaker which keeps my pulse at or above 60. All is well now, and the advantage of this pacemaker is that it stores any episode and reports back to the doctor through a transmitter in my home as well as at my semi-annual appointment. I am a very happy camper! 74 year old male."

Fyreman (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 29, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Have Afib for 15 years. Started on sotalol 3 months ago. Feel better now but it took 2 months to get used to it. Many new side affects but then they mostly went away. Had 3 ablations , pacemaker and paddles once. 64 years old and mostly in good shape."

steve1311 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 15, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I was on Sotolol for one month. While it did slow down my heart rate I was miserable the entire time. I constantly felt my heart was beating differently (this is a difficult sensation to describe). I was tired all the time, slept often during the day and rarely drove or went out even when someone else was driving. I am retired but prior to starting this medication I was active and traveled often. I did not have any afib episodes while on this medication, however, when I stopped taking sotolol I felt great/normal again and didn't have another afib episode for at least 7 months."

zookeeper70 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2017

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I have been on this for four months now and while it almost completely controls my a fib with 80 mgs twice a day I am extremely tired to the point that I have gained forty pounds since starting it because in the evening after pushing through my whole work day all I do is sit down and I am asleep immediately. I have tried asking dr for different medicine but he keeps saying it it NOT the medicine making me tired."

g70 December 8, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Diagnosed Wolff Parkinson White syndrome at 17. Experienced 3 to 5 serious attacks of uncontrollable supraventricular tachycardia per year until 35. At 35 went to ER with ragged variable pulse up to and over 400 bpm for two days. Diagnosed as afib. Underwent some experimental ablation at Cedars the third day and Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome disappeared. Q wave stopped reading inverted. Now I have afib. Several failed ablations and some shock work changed nothing. For the next 30 years just suffered with 6 to 8 severe afib events per year. Finally got medicare and treatment. Simply, Sotalol, 80mg/12hrs has relieved me of knee buckling afib events. I am in afib almost all the time but hardly severe enough to affect my routine."

Franktarget (taken for 10 years or more) November 16, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Third episode of afib cardiology placed on sotalol 80mg bid. I'm starving all the time, nauseated, and gained 3 lbs. in two weeks. Is not stopping afub from occurring"

Carranetta (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I tried several beta-blockers. This one works well for me. It gives me a slow heart rate though. I get very tired at night. It is worth it!"

mitral valve replaced (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "In my experience, you have to give your body a chance to adapt to Sotalol. You my experience some side effects, but they will usually subside over a period of time."

Jeveal (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 7, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I was diagnosed with AF 16 years ago. Back then, Betapace aka Sotalol was newly approved for oral use in the US although it had been around in Europe. I have been on this medicine since then. My dosage have gone from as low as 40 mg 2x a day to as high as 120mg 2x a day throughout the years. all these years I had a few AF every now and then but as the dose was adjusted it was well controlled until last year. Most cardiologist would say I am one of the few patients they know who has been on Sotalol this long. I was told since the beginning that I have the worst case of AF not induced by any activity and will not benefit from ablation because of numerous foci. I am very happy with Sotalol but might need other alternative soon..."

Lady Doc January 25, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Been on sotalol for 8 months now- had 2 relapses of AF. Had pacemaker implanted to stop bradycardia - on low dose of 80mg per day. Tried several beta blockers all caused low BP and heart rate. Sotalol does not affect BP. Side effects come and go - main ones ear noises - weight gain ( 6kg) - visual disturbance and suppression of heart rate when exercising."

Tyra b December 29, 2015

For Atrial Fibrillation: "In one week I went from a heart rate of 98 to 52. Some days I ran in the 40's. My blood pressure became very low. I was taken off it after one week trial. It had no effect whatsoever on my atrial fibrillation."

Anonymous November 30, 2015

For Atrial Fibrillation: "After being shocked back into rhythm after a bout of afib, I was prescribed betapace 80mg twice a day. It has been two months and no afib although I feel irregular beats occasionally. I had several off and on days of urine burning as though I was on fire. Walked like I had been riding a horse for a few days straight. The pain was horrible. After trial and error I discovered that if I had a glass of coke after taking betapace the burning occurred in the evening. No cola no burning. Now I take betapace with milk and I feel much better. There should be a warning. Good luck!!"

Mor51 August 6, 2015

Sotalol Hydrochloride AF (sotalol) for Atrial Flutter: "Way too many side effects. Felt worse with this drug than I did with A Flutter and A-Fib. Dangerous med."

GonzoOne (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2015

For Atrial Fibrillation: "In 2009 I had first paroxysmal Af within a week another episode....was put on sotalol 40 mg twice daily...now I am 37 and after 5 years of continuing sotalol I never had an episode...I workout for almost 2 hours weight training days weekly and this drug even worked as a SOS in times I felt that I am about to have AF...still continuing sotalol thank you"

Baichitra June 9, 2015